desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that aweful man has been taken care of.

We had high winds last night, lost two more shingles off the roof and my favorite tree, Mesquite and the biggest on the property, was split in half and the part that broke off was drug 20 feet and got caught in the chicken wire. The wire wasn't broken and all my birds are safe but my poor tree. I know it looks bad now but if the remaining lives It will grow a little straighter and probably taller. When the wind dies down I'll spray it with that pruning sealer and pray it will be all right. It really tore the trunk.

We're off this morning to see the doctor in Bakersfield about DH's shoulder and try to find something for me to wear to my granddaughters wedding. We won't be home until after dark as we plan on visiting my daughter in law and her family so we won't leave there until about 7 tonight and it's a two hour drive home. I hope the wind isn't bad in the pass. The rain has left us so we don't have it to bother us.

Have a good day ladies. I plan to.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile
I have been so wrapped up in our drama here that I should also ask that we say a prayer for the gunman, Mr. Allman, too.

It appears he snapped over something that occurred at work. He had 2 minor "infractions" with the law - back in the early 90s. Since then he was fighting domestic violence, was a conflict mediator, worked with youth, was a strong Christian, and a devoted father. It was also said that he "lit up a room" with his smile. The tragedy is undeniably terrible -- and we were all frightened while Allman was on the loose in our area. But this was an awful event that could never have been predicted and was committed by a man that those who knew him loved. It doesn't excuse the crime at all - but - So very sad.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  12:30:25 PM  Show Profile
PATTY, PATSY, PEGGY, AND HOLLY -- THANK YOU SO MUCH for the wonderful birthday wishes!! You farmgirls go above and beyond and I because of you I feel like a had a birthday! Now I wish I could make the banana & cinnamon cupcakes, sit down with some tea, and figure out what all I need to do in the next four days to be ready for a Maine winter! But, I don't have time to even do that.

Yesterday I found myself frantically trying to cover up a HUGE section of pumpkins that have not quite turned orange, along with my raised beds, herbs, and getting other herbs, peas, beans, and black beans harvested before dark because it froze here and tonight it is going to be about 20 degrees. My God, I don't even have heating oil in the furnace or wood to stack yet! I just managed today to get 3 AC's out of windows and my storm door windows in where the screens were. Still have to get the beets, carrots, and potato's dug up too! And the lawn mowed one more time!

Took DH back to surgeon on Tuesday in an horrible rain storm but the good news is, they took off the cast and put him in a walking boot!! He's still basically in bed but can get a shower and start walking. We are hoping that by Thanksgiving he will be back to work and his normal self. What a long summer it's been!

Thanks again ladies, you don't know how much I have appreciated the cards!

Ginny

P.S. Next time I will tell you about those 4 chickens, it's really a strange story!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  4:18:43 PM  Show Profile
Hello Gals! We are having summer weather again...Indian summer maybe? It's spose to last for awhile too. Now I can take down the rest of the decorations on our patio...and the strings of lights. We took the A/c's out of the 2 windows yesterday. Gave them an extra day to dry after all those days of rain we had. The stink-bugs are all over the windows trying to get in. Usually it's lady-bugs or those nasty yellow spotted beetles that bite.I haven't seen hardly any of those yet.
The top third of some of our oaks and maples are red & yellow and the Dogwoods are deep red.The bugs are still chirping, hoping to find a mate before frost hits and silences them. I love the music they sing all day and night. It'll seem so strange when it's totally quiet out there.
So sorry about all that scary stuff around you Darlys. The world has gone crazy! I'll keep you in my prayers along with those families who lost their loved-ones.
Take care of yourselves Dear Friends....

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  5:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

I think it has been three weeks or more since I have had time to read and write and I am still several pages behind in the reading but I am going to write in case my computer time expires because I go to sleep. A couple of nights ago I had typed half of an epistle and hit some button, the screen flew to the top and the message disappeared. I went to bed.

Today I took the last of the turkeys to be slaughtered. there were ten of them. I had 5 cut in half. I find them much easier to store and we can eat a half in a meal with a few left overs rather than eating one for several days. We had guinea hens fenced with the turkeys and the guineas would sleep in the turkeys feathers. I hope the guineas are warm enough tonight with out their friends the turkeys.

last week we had 15 guineas and I left their pen door open over night and in the morning there were only six left. I find it hard to believe that ten were eaten over night. I hope some of them return from the wild. I am starting to make them a house for the winter. I am making it 10 feet by 6 feet with a ceiling that is slanted from 6 feet to 8 feet. I thought if they like to fly I should give them room to fly. I hope they will be warm enough. I guess they will with all of their feathers if I can keep the fierce winds from blowing directily on them.
I could not see the picture of the icicle. Several years ago we had huge icicles that tilted in toward the windows of the house. One morning at 5 AM the weather warmed enough that the icicles fell and smashed into the bedroom window. Scared the living daylights out of us. Now I make sure I knock the icicles off before they get to long. I do think they are quite pretty even if it means that heat is leaking out of the ceiling. lol

The weather has been quite balmy for this time of year. We had two days of rain and now the sun is shining again during the day. Last night even though the moon is not even half full was so bright when I woke up it lit the room.

When I had some trees milled this spring I had some 6" X 6" timbers sawed so I can make a green house. I need to make some sort of foundation and then I am off and building. Oh to have fresh vegetables when there is snow on the ground.

We collect stray cats too. People from the towns seem to think that because someone lives on a farm it is ok to drop of unwanted cats and sometimes dogs. Long ago someone dropped off several sheep. In the last few years a clinic has opened that spays and neuters cats and dogs for free up to 25 dollars. It is so wonderful. It used to be that we would have to spend $150 getting a cat spayed only to have her go outside the next summer and get eaten. I have a friend who says if she had outside cats she would have to be in therapy to deal with all of the loss. I do miss some of them when they get eaten. Some of the smarter cats live to be 15 or more years old.

What is that little animal in the picture kissing the horse?

hope you all are well and happy.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  7:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Patty....yes you can make tinture from your juice all it is is a cooked down juice so you get the consistency of cough syrup. it makes it more concentrated so you only take a spoon full.

it is great getting to see what all of you have been doing today. I am about to go and get in the shower and get ready to leave for the show. I will see ya'll in a few days. I had a sale on Etsy today. Listed some new items this morning too.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  8:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Darlys so glad you and your family are ok after all you have been through. Sand it had to end the way it did...things are getting so bad with the economy the way it is...causing a lot of people to "snap" so sad. I pray for all that were involve and the ones that lost loved ones...

Wow Betty, that must have been some kind of storm...glad ya'll are ok..even if house isn't...but guess it could be worse, huh? Hope your travel has been safe today.

Patsy, that's a lot of chicken to can..wow..and now applesauce...busy, busy, busy...so glad you took a min. to stop by and say hi.

Ginny, glad to hear DH got his cast off...at least he can move a little....my son that just moved to Michigan last month text me a few days ago to let me know they were expecting snow flurries...wow...hope you got the plants covered before the freeze.

Judy, our trees are starting to change too...GOD is painting everything isn't he...? I also love to listen to the night sounds, such a great sound.

Holly, I understand, I've been away some too but not quite that long... I love the stories of all you critters...we had guineas growing up and Momma called them our watch dogs...there was nothing that came in our yard that we didn't know about, they can make such a racket....lol I am sure you will enjoy those turkeys all winter..good for you..sorry about loosing you guineas, I hope they came back.

I hope to go shopping tomorrow to the new hobby lobby and michaels in the town I used to work in in South Carolina. That town is 5 miles closer than the 2 towns I can go to in GA...I'm excited to go back there, haven't been in a while and it will also give me time to stop by the old store and say hi to my old friends. I need to get to bed but think I will be up for a bit longer, trying to catch up with all the post...so far behind...I've been so busy here..not slowing down much, but tomorrow is going to be my take it easy, do what I want day...looking forward to it...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  01:08:31 AM  Show Profile
Darlys...so glad that the drama is over but the cost was great! Too many lives lost! I even feel bad for the gunman...as it sounds like he just had a mental break down and snapped. But it really ended the best way possible. No long drawn out Court Room Drama...with people having to relive it all over again. And no wasted years of contesting the verdict. I am sure there are many questions left un-answered and the pain will linger over the needless loss of life...but these are desperate times for many in our Country. Lack of Jobs, loss of unemployment benefits, no where to turn for help. We all should feel blessed, if we have a job, food on our tables and any kind of insurance coverage...even if its crummy. So many have nothing, not even their pride and dignity. Lets remember to pray for them and help when we can.

Patsy...your chicken and applesauce sound yummy. I am sure you will enjoy that this winter.

Ginny...glad that we could help you celebrate your birthday a little bit. It is nice when other's remember, it helps soften the glow of another candle added to the top of the cake. LOL!

Kim...I don't think we have Elderberries in our neck of the woods, but I am not positive about that. I will have to google it and see.

Holly...glad to have you back with us girlfriend. I think everyone is pretty busy right now making the transformation between seasons. My garden is actually producing better right now than it did all summer. I am just hoping that our Indian Summer Continues and we don't have an early frost. I had my first ripe Heirloom Tomato tonight and oh my gosh it was delish! I will have plenty to share with all my Neighbors!

Betty...that storm sounded horrible. Glad it was just downed limbs and trees and not damage to your home. A couple of shingles is nothing compared to what it could have been. ~ Hope you found something nice to wear to your Grand-daughter's Wedding.

Judy...glad that you are getting some Indian Summer too. Makes for lovely days.

My hubbies surgery went fine today. Had him back home by 2:00 pm. They found no re-accuring cancer in his bladder which was good...but they did take some biopsies which is good too.

Well girls...it has been a long day...so I am off to bed. DH has to take tomorrow off...so hopefully we can sleep-in.

Sweet Dreams,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  04:43:22 AM  Show Profile
Good morning....
I have a long to-do-list that needs to be done by noon today. My cousin is coming for lunch. So I need to have everything done before then. :) Last night my sis-in-law and her hubby popped in. I love company. :)
My new clothesline poles have been in the ground a couple of days. I want to get the wire on them so I can start using them. We have had a makeshift clothesline since moving here and there is only enough room for one load. I am so happy to have a real clothesline again! I made a batch of laundry soap and am ready to put my clothespin apron on. :) But first thing this morning, I am cleaning my sewing room so I can work in it...lol. It looks like a tornado has gone through it. :( It will stay nice and neat for a day.
I have been complaining to our local police department about the 'speeding" on our road. People must think this road is a raceway. I told city hall that "You need to come out here and issue tickets, before there is a tradgedy" We have elderly on scooters, a disabled person in an electric wheelchair, and kids on bicycles, not to mention "walkers" like me. I posted on our local newspaper Facebook page about the people flying down this road. I got plenty of responses from others mostly in aggreement. But I fellow aregued that I was probably imagining the speed. That they probably were not actually speeding and he went on to say he use to be a policeman and they have better things to do than issue tickets. This area has a very low crime rate. No murders in probably 50 years. Very little theft. What better way to increase the revenue than to sit parked, not burning fuel and issue tickets? But you can't argue with an idiot. Anyway... yesterday a boy was racing up and down on our road on his motorcycle. I am the grouchy old lady that moved in and calls the police station for traffic control. But someone had beat me to it and they said a officer was on the way. Right before they got here, The rider hit an elderly man on a scooter. The rider was taken to the local hospital and then life flighted to Springfield, Il. I hope they wake up and start issuing tickets.

Well, Off to start my chores. Have a wonderful productive day. :)

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  04:49:18 AM  Show Profile
Question - Does anyone do anything with vinegar "mother"? I understand you can make more vinegar with it...

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  09:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Patty, would you mind sharing how you make laundry soap? Liquid or powder? I'm trying to collect all the home remedy,cleaning, and soapmaking recipes I can. I seem to draw blood somehow every few days, last week I took a small chunk out of my arm while doing chores, I poured Hydrogen peroxide to clean it then a couple drops of straight Tee Tree Oil and the next morning it was practically gone, that stuff is amazing.

Seems now one of my biggest expenses is paper supplies, have you noticed that? Haven't figured out how to make my own paper towels and toilet tissue, ha. Way back in the 40's it was the outhouse and pages from Sears Roebuck catalog, crumpled up a bunch of times to make it softer. You have to go way back in time and in the country to remember that. You may have noticed I have to have one funny per day to keep my spirits up. things could always be worse!!

Martha Stewart was showing some kind of thing that scrubs pots spotless with no soap but I only caught the end of it and didn't find out what it was or where to get it. I'm trying to do my part and stop consuming anything I don't have to have. The paper/plastic packaging that all the stuff comes in is probably most of what we pay for and then we've got to get rid of that.

Also, I didn't know you could can chicken. guess I'm not the country girl I thought I was. I've only canned veggies and fruits. I'm going to make the trek into town tomorrow and get a big shirt so I can make the smock, but I also need to clean my sewing room, which is too small, and I keep too many projects going at once. I don't seem to be able to finish one thing before I start another. Anybody else have this problem?
have a good day everybody. Glenda

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
(I can't remember who said it :)
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  10:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies...Well, I woke up with the Chickens (actually the dogs) lol. Then I spent 2 1/2 hours prepping veggies for the freezer. I took, sweet peppers...red, yellow, and orange (an entire bag of them), onions (a Walla Walla Sweet and a fist full of scallions), celery, broccoli,zuchinni and fried up bacon and diced tomatoes. I mixed all that together and got two 1 gallon freezer bags full. It is great for fixing a quick omelet or throwing in with tomato-sauce as a topping over baked potatoes etc. All you need is to add the cheese for either meal. It was time consuming this morning but will be time saving later on. And I did fix myself an omelet for breakfast and it was great!

Patty...good luck with getting your local government to do anything about your speeders...but I do have a suggestion for you. Our local news channel...will investigate things like that...and then once they air it on the evening news...things actually get done...because City Officials don't like to look like idiots on
the Local News Channels. So, the next time something happens in your area...call the TV News Station.

Glenda...I always start one project and that seems to morph into five other projects. Like why do five rooms get messed up in order to clean out one room? Crazy huh? Or when you go to bed at night...you want to tidy up a little bit and one thing leads to 10 others...and before you know it...an hour has gone by and you still aren't in bed. It is all a vicious circle huh?

Well, I am tired now and think I will go catch a few more hours sleep until hubby wakes up. His pain medication seems to be knocking him out.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 08 2011 12:48:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  10:53:52 AM  Show Profile
It's over. Thank you all for being there as I shared my anxiety during that tragic drama with you. It was way too close. It's floating around in speculation now that the gunman wanted to die after the shootings. They took down the roadblock at our gate yesterday afternoon around 3 p.m. It's over - for us. We still pray for the victims and everyone affected.

PeggyAnn - your sentiments are so very much shared. Thank you for your kind words. You are so caring as you show your concern for others. I love that about you. And, I'm so glad your hubby's surgery went well and that they didn't find any more cancer!

Glenda, you just described my sewing room up in Oakhurst. Small, full of projects (unfinished) and pending projects -- patterns actually hanging on the walls here and there - so I don't forget I want to do them. And stacks of fabric and other stuff. Here, in Cupertino, I use the dining room table - which I have to clear for any "company" coming and the holidays. Then I just don't get any sewing/quilting done here.

I've tried making paper - from newspaper/magazines/junk mail - but it's time consuming, uses a lot of space and is for the most part a mess. Maybe I did something wrong - but the paper turned out okay - not great - but okay.

Patty, I've never heard of vinegar mother. But I'm also saying a "good for you" for fussing to the world about speeding vehicles. In the Bay Area we have had far too many children hit and killed at dangerous intersections because they were "uncontrolled" and someone was speeding. Others, too - elderly, handicapped - the folks who can't move fast. Sometimes the outrage brings at least a stop sign -- and occasionally more patrol cars - for a while. Once in a great while a traffic light - if the city in question can "afford" it. (Never mind funeral costs and loves and lives lost.) I'm so on board with you.

Betty - hope you found something wonderful to wear for the wedding - and that your husband's shoulder is taken care of. Hey, you did get some wind, didn't you. Sorry for your tree loss. We lost some trees last March - in Oakhurst - during the rain and snow that closed Yosemite for 2 weeks. This last front that came from your area came through Cupertino so fast we barely blinked before it was gone ... just leaving us with lots of rain. We weren't supposed to get rain yesterday, but we did. Today looks good, but cool.

Ginny - Somehow I didn't know it was your birthday. Please add my wishes for a *wonderful year* to those of the other farmgirls. Hurrah for the walking cast! Soon you'll have help with winter preparedness chores and harvesting those veggies (I hope.)

Kim, Betty, Patty and all of you who are elderberry fans - There's a 4 star B&B in Oakhurst called Erna's Elderberry House. Famous, I understand. I'm sure that means we have the right climate for elderberries. We may have some on our property. We think we know which ones are which - but there are so many different bushes as the previous owners just planted whatever, wherever. We are still getting it sorted out. I heard that raw (right off the bush) elderberries are not that tasty. Is that right? I'm on a HUGE learning curve when it comes to elderberries. Any info is appreciated.

Hey Judy, I can see why your post is brief. You are outside enjoying nature's show. Ohio (especially your place) sounds real purty right now.

Hey Holly -- You make me feel like I'm right there. Love reading about life on your farm. The racoons sound nasssty tho.

Penny, have fun shopping for goodies and visiting with your friends. Sometimes a change of pace is just what we need to get re-energized.

Well, gfs, my to-do list would touch the toes of God. So I better get started. It's just that you all mean so much to me now - and I have to be (if possible) with you for a while each morning. Things are normal again. Y'all take care. Have a super-wonderful-delightful-carefree-productive-calm and happiness infused day!

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Oct 07 2011 10:56:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  3:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies!

It has been pretty busy at my home and I am still very behind in catching up with the posts here.

Just wanted to pop in and say hello to y'all.

Hope maybe this weekend to get caught up with everyones goings on??!!

I went to water my small container garden on the balcony this AM, and found 2-3 cucumbers have been growing! Was pretty excited. Was so hot this summer that only my herbs did pretty well. Soooo, I may have enough cucumbers to make a pint of refrig pickles, lol! That is ok, I will have some fun doing it!!

Fall is certainly in the air, but getting a slow start. Was quite muggy here today. Suppose to have T-storms tonite and thru the next several days.

Prayers and good thoughts to each of you. Look forward to getting myself all caught up with your posts.

God Bless!

Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  4:19:11 PM  Show Profile
Tea-time, Ladies! It's 4 p.m.

Hi Linda! Good to see you even when you're just checking in. Gotta get the weather report from Kansas.

I'm loading a few things into the SUV to take to Oakhurst tonight. Some friends are going with us for the weekend and we are picking them up ... so my packing will be limited today. It's supposed to be pretty cool up there this weekend. Has been for a couple of days now, So I called my BFF to have her turn on the heat at our place this afternoon (since we won't get there until nigh unto midnight).

Because we are having company I doubt I'll see y'all again before Monday. So have a good - and safe - weekend. Kisses ......

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  5:25:21 PM  Show Profile
Hello every one,

We had a lovely day here. Last night was our first hard frost. The ground looked like we had had a light snow. The sun was bright and the frost was sparkling on the frost when I went out to feed and water the pigs this morning. It was quite chilly. I have a dark purple fleece hat that I wear when it is cold out. It makes me look like I have a tall cone head. The hat was a gift so I wear it even if I look very funny.

I have a steno notebook that I keep my list of things to do in. I keep a master list at one end. Each day I make a list of things that need to be done. Somedays I finish the list and many days I do not. but, if I have sometime and can not think what to do next I can look at the list. the children hate the lists. I think they think that if I do not make a list nothing needs to be done. lol Most days when they are not having adolescent hormone negativity I can get them to help finish offf the list with little whining. I have given up fighting with any of them to get them to help but, If I do not have help I will not provide free taxi service and living a dozen miles from town does put a cramp in their socializing if mama is not happy.

Darlys, I have read that some people cause the police to shoot them because they are so depressed they do not want to live but are afraid they will botch the job if they try to do themselves in. Truly a sad sad situation when one feels hopeless.

I have never done anything with elderberries and should look into if they will even grow around here. We do have rose hips from rosa rugosa and I need to pick the lot of them and boil them down to make a syrup for the winter. Very high in vitamin C.

I usually freeze applesauce but this year we do not have room in the freezers. Maybe I just need to figure out how to can and do some up in jars. They would fit very nicely on the pantry shelves. Applesauce is very nice in the yogurt I make and is great roughage for the winter. The apple trees have been especially abundant this year. I have felt like I am wasting a gifted oppportunity and one should never shun a gift.

Raccoons may very well have been the culprits in my missing guineas. We have had raccoon issues in the past. One year the children decided to sleep on the back porch to scare away the raccoons when they came. The children got scared and screamed. They flipped on the back porch light. there was a mother and four babies trying to eat the meat chickens. One of the babies climbed the wall of the house to the eaves. that would be three stories of house. I had the chickens done in and the raccoons went away. I must say that I think I prefer raccoons over rats even if the raccoons are wasteful.

My sewing room looks like a big box of craft supplies and material from a yard sale was dumped into the middle of it. Even my sister who is an organizational fiend was at wits end looking at it. I guess if I were going to make any headway I would need to get rid of the ripped store bought quilts that I am hoping to patch and use. Our Brittany spaniel came to us at two years old. I think he must have been a puppy mill puppy because he has some odd habits and one of them is to suck on blankets until they have a hole in them,. I think he might suck longer but then someone notices and chases him off the bed.

I thought the little animal by the horse might be a fawn but it looked so tiny and I thought maybe it was not a white tailed deer but some other species from a different part of the country.

Darlys, I just noticed your signature line. Are you short? I am not. I am 5' 11" tall.

I hope you all sleep well tonight and the night sweats are minimal so everyone sleeps through.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  5:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Evening friends!

I am so glad it's over for you Darlys. Peggy is so right about people having such hard times. I read in our Church newsletter that they have had an increase of about 80 families coming for the food bank every week. Today going to the hardware store I saw kids holding a turkey thon by the side of the road. What a great idea! You stop and buy a turkey for a family that needs one on Thanksgiving. This is in a town of only 2300 people is very scary!

Betty did you find an outfit? I am going to have to do the same this coming winter for my daughter's wedding. I can't remember the last time I put a dress on!

I was at A.C. Moore the day I took DH to the surgeon and didn't get 30 feet into the door when a woman near me started talking about these feathers that were turkey feathers and she knew because she has wild ones and someone had just hit some of the babies in the road and she was so upset. On top of that she just started telling me about her sad life, her son leaving and she not knowing where he is or doing, and I just stood there and listened and gave her what advice I could. I felt so bad for her! An hour went by when she finally realized she was keeping me from my shopping and family in the car, lol. But I told everyone waiting in the car I just couldn't leave her. If she needed to talk that much to a stranger, she needed a shoulder. Hope I helped her in some small way. Never got what I went in there for though, lol.

My chickens: short version: I found out who left the 4, went out everyday and found the dead ones, seperated them believing they were cannibals, and then one morning I find another dead one and I'm thinking how could she have gotten out of the seperated area. I finally walked around the pen & I see a hole with her foot and eaten leg hanging out of it and a trail of the rest of her into my woods! It finally hits me - DUH!!!! I have a hole in the pen and some animal, probably those horrible racoons, had been coming in and killing them. So, sadly I lost four, not necessarily all new ones. One more thing I was trying to do before dark! Tomorrow my BIL is coming to help me put smaller fencing around the pens so the rest stay safe. I now shut the coop door too! But it's as though the animal literally pulled the chicken wire open and crawled through so I think it is racoons. What else could do that? Sometimes I can be such an airhead, lol!

PeggyAnn - Happy to hear your DH is ok and will have recuperated by the end of the weekend. Love the idea of just cutting it all up and mixing. Since I'm doing all of that this weekend, I will probably do some veggies that way. Would be great for stir fry too I would think.

Holly - It must be very colorful at your farm right now. It sure is here!

Glenda - Keep buying that T.P. and paper towels please, it will help keep a Mainer employed at some paper mill or a logger. Have fun hunting! It's bird hunting season here now, deer next month.

Judy - We finally get your Indian Summer here all weekend, hurray!!! Three days to get the gardens ready for winter and everything done outside. Managed to finally get the furnace serviced and oil tank filled today, now just need to get wood or bio-bricks. I'm thinking bio-bricks since they will be neater, cleaner, for me to carry and supposedly are more efficient then a cord of wood.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Ginny

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  6:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I only have a few minutes to say hello and give an update. This is one busy weekend for me. I took the car in this morning for an oil change and tire rotation and ended having to have the transmission flushed out and new fluid put in. Bye Bye $253.00. On the way home I heard an bad road noise but the car handled all right so I called the shop and I'm taking it back tomorrow. I may have a bad tire or something. DH saw the specialist yesterday and he has arthritis in his shoulder, not a tear so all that will help and not compoletely is a shoulder replacement and the Dr. didn't reccommend it for his age so he'll just have to live with it I guess. My grandson went to his specialist today to see about his broken leg and the Dr. said to leave it alone, it would heal on it's own. I don't understand since the two ends of the bone aren't touching. I wonder if he got the xrays mixed with someone elses.You never know these days.

I didn't find an outfit. The colors are all wrong this Fall and the necklines are so low they'd make me look like a hoochie koochie girl. I went to Joann's and bought some fabric for a top. I'll make it like a jacket to wear over my tan slacks. It's a lovely soft brocade with all Fall colors in it. I hope to cut it out tomorrow and start sewing. I did buy a robe since I left my old one at my daughters and won't be going over there before we leave on our trip.

The storm has passed but it's very cold. I cleaned the filter in the heater today and started it burning in case it smelled dusty but it didn't. I even dug out the electric blanket and have it on the bed in case. We saw snow when we went through the pass but it was about 1000 feet above us and only a dusting at that.

Good night ladies.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  05:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning.

I got a call from California last night. My granddaughter, Kari, called from her college to tell me she was on the show, Let's Make a Deal yesterday and won $800 and some jewelry. She was so excited. She said she had to call me because she remembered that I was once on the show a long time ago and remember that I had gotten zonked but didn't remember what I got. So I told her that I got that big, old railroad pumper car. But then when I went backstage later they gave me a sewing machine. I asked her if the first thing they still did was have her fill out the IRS tax paper and she said yes. She told me she would let me know when the show whould air so I could see it.

Linda, have great pickle making with those cucumber you grew. I didn't get enough this year to do any pickling. Mine also were pretty small. I am hoping that next year I will get a better crop. Actually it is my husband who likes to do the pickling. He does eggs and onions, too which I really don't like that much.

Holly, I really enjoyed reading about your sewing room. I think that kind of describes my room at timesl. I do a lot of different things in my sewing room like paintig, mixed media art, sewing, making dolls and embroider. I am not the greatest organizer in world. In fact, I am way down on the list. I loved reading about your cloth sucking dog. LOL

Betty, Hope your grandson's leg will mend well. That is odd about his bones not touching. It is good news about your DH not having to have shoulder surgery but I am sorry that it is arthrtis. That is not such good news.

I agree with you about trying to buy some of the new clothes. The necklines are so low and if a person has any bust at all they DO look like a hoochie. Even my granddaughters have to wear T shirts under some of the other shirts they buy because they are so low.

Glenda, wow, your friend Ed is some fellow! How charming and nice to be with a man who treats you so well. He loves the fine things in life and has the right attitude. Live everyday to the fullest. Enjoy life. You are very fortunate to have found him and he is fortunate to have found you. My mother found someone like him when she was about 60. I think he was about 14 years older than she was and he was very much like your Ed. They were together until he was 93 when he died.

Thank you for the tip about Soft Surroundings even if it was for Betty. I will go on that site. I love Chicos clothes. I have a hard time finding dresses. So many of them are so drab and the wrong colors.

Love the picture of the little boy and the dog praying. So sweet.

Have a wonderful weekend ladies.

Hugs,

Nancy

laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  05:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! Sun isn't up yet but the temps are wonderful. It was 90' yesterday, I had to turn the AC on for a bit. My sewing room is not cleaned yet, but will finish it today. I get so sidetracked. I had to spend 30 min cutting the threads off of my vacuum roller. I usually vacuum up with the hose first to get all the loose threads.... but I happened to get caught on a spool of thread and had it all on the roller before I noticed....lol. Thread is so expensive, I hate that! I would like to find time to do some sewing today. Have not had time to do much. I have pillowcase dresses cut and pressed and ready to be stitched as well as aprons all cut out and ready to be stitched. So I could could just sit down I would get alot accomplished. When hubby hangs out, I never get as much done. Too many interruptions.
I managed to get the new line on my clothesline poles yesterday and took the makeshift line down. I did laundry like crazy yesterday. Blankets, sheets, rugs, washed and hung on the new clothesline. I love doing laundy.

Glenda - This link will take you to the recipe I use for laundry soap. Sometimes I add a cup of borax to it. I also use Mrs. Stewarts bluing in my whites. I love that stuff. You can use it to wash your white hair, white dogs, and for science projects. And I never use fabric softener, always vinegar. I save money and my clothes look wonderful. I have one roll of paper towels in the laundry room for times when I feel I have to have them. But one roll last me a year. I use cut up old t-shirts or old towels for messes and cleaning. I have white cotton towels in my kitchen for drying dishes and red thicker towels for hand drying and wiping things up in the kitchen. I won't give up my toilet paper...lol. But I sure have saved alot of money by not buying paper towels. They can be one of the biggest waste. They are so easy to grab and use and I would pull off several sheets for a little job. The kids were always worse about it than I. And look at all the trees I save. http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/2011/07/healthy-and-green-living.html

Betty - It is good to hear that your hubby and granson both will not need surgery. But hopefully hubby can manage the discomfort from arthritis. You are so right, these new styles are so revealing. Most jeans are made down on the hips. I have a hard time keeping them up. I would love to be able to wear these new styles, but I am just too old. I remember when I was a kid, alot of women wore "Fredricks of Hollywood". DO you remember the style of Fredricks back in the 60's? It was a style all it's own for sure. I think it was all mail order then. I don't believe they had stores in the 60's. Remember Beeline as well? I can remember my mother having Beeline parties.

Peggy Ann- I just happened to talk to a fellow that will be running for Mayor the next election. I told him about the speeders as well as a couple of ordinances. Dang politician that I am promised to vote for him if he promises to do what I want. I was just blowing smoke like most politicians. I had heard through the grapevine that the kid on the motorcyle was paralyzed, but I saw him standing in his driveway on crutches last night. So I assume he is ok. I didn't see any cast. I wonder if he learned a lesson?

Holly - I usually use my abundance of fruit for Christmas gifts. I can them in syrup or make pie filling and label it with a homemade Christmas label. They go over really well. I will pick up baskets at yard sales or thrift stores for under a dollar, add a ribbon, and a couple jars of my home canned produce and they love me for it!

Well, off to the "sweat shop" (sewing room) to clean. Have a wonderful day.

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  09:34:40 AM  Show Profile
Glenda...I checked out Soft Surroundings and got on their mailing list. Lovely On-Line Shop! And for sure I am going to check out "I-Cool" at Walgreens. Great tips Farmgirl, Thanx! The women in my family never get through Hot Flashes. My mom is 78 and still has them. My Auntie is 70 and still has them (but only on one half of her body...is that weird or what???) and I am about to turn 60 and I still have them, even though my
Dr. assures me that I am way past menapause (I would like him to tell my body that!hee hee)~ Do you Loan Ed out??? He sounds like a charmer and a great date! :+) Also, an excellant traveling companion?

Patty...at least the Politician promised he would do something (do we trust him?????) I think I would rely more on my TV Station. ha ha! Glad the kid isn't hurt badly or dead! Just keep making your voice and concerns heard and you will catch the attention of someone who needs a "Cause" to promote.

Nancy...it sounds like "good luck" runs in your family (Let's Make A Deal). Let us all know when Kari is going to be on and we will watch it with you. I would love to win $800.00 and some jewelry wouldn't you?
That sounds like FUN any day of the week!

Betty...sorry that you had a hard time finding anything for The Wedding. Sounds like you solved your own problem though (we farmgirls are good at that!). My youngest son is getting married next fall and so I am
trying to lose weight for that big event. His bride to be wants her mother and me to wear a Champaigne colored dress (I am light complected with grey hair...I think It will wash "Me" away). Believe me...it will be all about the bride that is for sure. LOL I decided that I will have to put a lot of colorful accessories with the dress.

Ginny...thanks for the good thoughts and well-wishes for my DH. I want to keep him around for a good long
time. He is so funny and makes life so enjoyable. It might have been "The Third Times The Charm" for me but he is definately "A Keeper!"! 26 yrs and counting!

The picture of the little boy and his dog praying is one of my favorites. So adorable!

Holly...I wish I were nice and tall like you. I am 5ft 2. My DIL is your heighth and she is beautiful.

Linda...isn't it fun to find "surprise" produce...when you think everything is done? I have a summer squash plant like that right now. Didn't produce anything all summer and now it is just going to town. We haven't had our first heavy frost yet...so, I am leaving everything thing in the garden as long as I possibly can.

Darlys...hope you and your house guests have fun this weekend! My hubby had to work today but I am happy to have some "Me-Time" after having him home for 3 days. I am going to go put on a pot of my favorite coffee and just keep readen and relaxen!

More Later My Lovelies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  10:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies,

Glenda, I haven't seen raccoons around here, but know they exist but we have trouble with armadillos, and those are really nasty critters. They carry so many diseases... We have coon hunting clubs around here so many that is why I don't seen any...I would like to go coon hunting too...lol That detergent recipe that Patty uses is the one I use too, I like the powder one....I love it...I also put vinegar in my rinse cycle( I got one of those downy balls and use that)only way I remember to do it... Where do you get tree tea oil from? Here is a link to Martha Stewarts website, I found so many things for green cleaning on there.http://www.marthastewart.com/267380/clean-green-natural-cleaning-products maybe what you saw is there too. I am going to check out the website you talked about for clothes...love a good deal...also that is the sweetest pic. Thanks for sharing. I love the stories about your dear ED...you are very blessed to have found each other...my DH and I also meet on a dating site...it was called "Plenty of Fish"....we have so much in common but don't think we would have every meet if it wasn't for that site...we ran in different circles...I was living in SC at the time and he had just moved from Athens, GA to his farm in Washington, GA...He worked in the corp. world, and me...not so much...lol...I am thankful for POF for bringing us together...and I promise you know one on here will be saying "86"? we are just glad you are happy...that's all true friends want for their girlfriends.

Peggy, so glad hubby is doing well, and things went smooth. Wow are you a busy little bee...I love putting up veggies...so good to see my freezer with things for the winter in it...our garden was a bust but maybe next year. I do have a lot of different hot pepper plants on my porch...I didn't have room in the garden so I put them in containers, they are doing GREAT. Get some rest dear one..

Patty, so glad you got your clothes line up...I put up a small one and love it...our washer and dryer is the little apartment kind..that sit on top of each other(no room) for the larger ones..but it this one goes out, told DH we will have to build a room or something so I can have a full size one. Since I got my cloths line I haven't been using the dryer...I love seeing clothes on the line. I am sorry to hear about the older gentleman that got hit. I hope he is ok...and just to throw my 2 cents in: WAY TO GO...keep up calling...hopeful it will help. I remember "Fredricks of Hollywood" and I agree with you, I don't think they had stores in the '60", But I have never heard of Beeline's, what was it?

Darlys, I finally went on that shopping trip that I've been talking about...Only thing is that now I'm broke, When we have a closing on a house DH gives me a nice crisp $100. So I've been holding on to it till this shopping trip. I went to Michaels and Hobby Lobby(new stores in SC where I'm from) I feel more comfortable shopping there than in GA. Oh and I went to Hancock Fabrics too...I had coupons for HL and Hancock...I love saving money....ROFL...anyway...I only went $5 over my $100...I thought I was $10 under but forgot about the little I spent at Michaels...but DH was happy for me...I also got to go back to the place(Lowes) where I use to work and say hi to some old friends.) I got so many goodies...too many to mention. Oh but will mention one because I was shocked. Hancock had some of their fleece for $3.95 a yard...what a deal since other fleece I'm seen is $10.99 and up. I am so glad you and your family are safe...but my heart goes out to the family's even the gunmans family that lost loved ones....so sad. You are always on the go, aren't you...makes me tired sometimes just reading about your trips...lol Have a safe trip, see ya Monday.

Linda, so exciting find the cucumbers...enjoy the pickles...I love pickles...my favorite right now are jalapeno pickles...yum.

Holly, a hard frost already, wow...is that early for your area? You should try canning...the fruits are so easy cause they are water bathed...which means you don't need a pressure canner...any of us will be happy to help you with directions if you need them, I will even find you a link on the net that you can read, if you want me too...I love searching for things...lol.
Your sewing room sounds like mine. I just haven't got room for everything...and after I go to my Momma's and get all of her stuff, we might not even have room to sleep...since my sewing room is my bedroom...lol I have a friend that has a doberman that has always sucked on the corner of a blanket too...we could never figure out why. I saw where you said you were 5'11" my Momma was tall but for some reason she didn't want to admit she was 5'10" so she claimed to be 5'9 1/2....I think that was cause my Daddy was shorter than her...he was 5'6" barely...and that is where I got my height...I'm 5'3" Thank you for the kind words about OUR night sweats...mine were pretty bad last night...but oh well, part of life.. got to tell you I love this statement you made "If I do not have help I will not provide free taxi service and living a dozen miles from town does put a cramp in their socializing if mama is not happy"

Ginny, that was so sweet of you to stand and talk with that woman...sometimes people need to talk and don't have anyone that will listen...you will be blessed for that kind act I'm sure...we never know what a small kind act might do for others...bless you. I hope you get the chicken pen FORT KNOX safe... I have CRS so not sure if I wished you a happy birthday...so happy belated birthday.

Betty, sorry for the money you had to put out on the car...DH took his truck in to have fluid changed in the trans and came away $650 lighter...not good thing but necessary. Glad you DH shoulder wasn't a tear. Hope it feels better soon. I can't believe the DR said that about your Grandson, are they going to get a second opinion? That just doesnt sound right does it? I hate shopping for clothes...sorry you didn't find anything, hope that you can find something on the site that was mentioned here. You are getting ready for the cold weather I see...are you in the northern part of CA?? I might have to look into getting a heated mattress pad for our bed this year, my Momma loved the one I bought for her before her death...she also had a electric blanket and used both(even tho is said not to), that was my Momma, going against the rules...

Nancy, I love the story about your GD...guess she wanted to be like Grandma and following in her footsteps being on Let's make a deal...that is so cool.

hope everyone has a great day...it is beautiful here today...and I'm in the house trying to catch up on my sewing.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  10:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry I guess I was posting at the same time you were Peggy and Glenda.

Hot flashes are the pits...hope they go away soon, but after reading your post Peggy, I'm worried...wish we had a walgreens here so I could get some of that "I-Cool"...I will take any help I can get...hate my bed being wet all the time.

I love stale pretzels...and cheese puffs, got that from my Momma...*giggle*

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  10:26:05 AM  Show Profile
To lessen hot flashes, I saw somewhere years ago that alot of the night swaets is caused fro dehydration, so I found that drinking 1-2 glasses of water before bed will help. I would rather have to get up and go potty than to sweat all night.
Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  4:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Funny that you said the last part Jan...because I was thinking, "Oh great, now I will just get up
to pee instead of sweat. Ha Ha! I think I am with you though...If I have to choose one over the other. LOL

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page