Page: of 218

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  5:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Ok ladies, I need some prayers and support please. I know it maybe hard for some to understand but my youngest son just called to tell me his transfer went through. He works for Fed Ex and lives in SC about 2 hours from me. His transfer is to Michigan...where his Dad lives. I'm happy for him cause he is happy but sad for me because we are so very close and I will miss him alot. DH knows how hard this is for me and is trying to cheer me up...I just can't believe he is going to be so far away. I want him happy and this is what he wants...after a little bit of crying I'm sure I will be ok...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  6:09:32 PM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn -- Supper sounds so good. Put on two extra bowls - I'm bringin' hubby. Seriously, it sounds great. What do you put in besides green beans, red potatoes, carmelized onion and ham hocks -- or is that it?

We are back from Oakhurst and in a more gentle climate (80's) in Cupertino. We head back up the hill for Oakhurst Friday night though for the long Labor Day weekend.

Neighbor up there called me this morning to let us know that while she was out walking past our property the water came on but a T joint had popped off the drip line and there was a water spout out by the gate. She tried to put it back on but was just getting wet and then she thought she saw a snake and decided to call us instead. (She isn't a fan of snakes either.) Said she would have her husband fix it. Larry asked her to just shut off the timer and that it should be fine until Saturday. We are so blessed with these folks as neighbors. Turned out we have so much in common. And though we go to different churches there (theirs is non-denominational and ours is Presbyterian there - Lutheran in Cupertino) we share our faith with each other on a regular basis. Also, she's a quilter! And the fellas swap John Deere tractor "incidents."

I am so sorry you were so sick, Peggy. I hope it was "just" the weather and not something that will need extra attention. You take good care of yourself. My prayer list is getting long and although the Lord can handle it, I'm afraid I'll not give it proper attention. My neighbor (above) had fallen off a ladder while painting a diningroom wall 2 weeks ago and chiro wasn't cutting it. I gave her one of my neck braces. Turned out she has a torn rotator cuff. It hurts me when someone else is hurting. I just want to do something that will help. Pray and pray some more. But I want to "fix" things!

Okay, no slamming screen doors until PeggyAnn's migrane is history. OR, you will have to open and close that screen door q-u-i-e-t-l-y 100 times. :-)

Vicky - I do like what you've done with your screen doors. And, good for you, Betty. I salute you for your screen door resourcefulness.

Amazon has a quilting coloring book? Super! Next bunch of books I buy will have it included in the order. Now I'll be surfing Amazon for a day or two. Gotta find something else to occupy my time. lol. I am ignoring the laundry today - but tomorrow it will be nagging me. And, with the 2 houses, there is always "stuff" that needs to be done. I think I've done something and it turns out I did - in the other house! I'll be glad when hubby retires (next year) and we can sell here and move to Oakhurst permanently. Amazon.com: Here I come!

Betty, I am completely overwhelmed. I thought WE had a big family. But you sure do get the brass ring! Wow! I'd go crazy trying to keep that calendar. But I know that it is a labor of love. How great that you have so many wonderful kids and grandkids. I bet they keep you smiling. They sure have an amazing mom/grandma.

Hey Holly, I'm with the others. Any gal that can handle a chain saw without blinking at the thought gets the superwoman award of the month. Good going, girlfriend. And enjoy winter when those logs are blazing away keeping you toasty warm while the flakes fly. I am in awe!

The night was noisy in Oakhurst this past weekend. We had the windows open all night while the crickets were announcing the onset of fall. (I'm sure.) I think a coyote put his 2 cents worth in at one point - and a rooster out there somewhere who didn't know he was supposed to wait for the sun to come up. But all that's okay. I love those sounds.

I understand that the San Jose/Hollister and eastward area had a 5.something earthquake Friday night. No damage, but I guess a lot of folks felt it. It was close to midnight when it happened so we were unloading the car in Oakhurst. I guess there were also a number of smaller aftershocks.

I am so glad that Irene took her leave. I'm sorry your son's place got flooded, Holly, but glad he's safe. I am also glad to hear that so many of you took her barging in uninvited in stride. What a bunch of cool heads on our farmgirls. Prepare and make do. Mostly, I'm glad that you are all okay.

Looks like we are having orange chicken, rice and broccoli tonight. I'd rather be supping at PeggyAnn's. I still want to know every ingredient that went into that crockpot. As soon as I find out I will add another foot to the Whole Food's yacht (since I don't have anything edible growing - except my lemons, bay leaves, rosemary and parsley.)

Have a lovely evening, everyone.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:28:17 PM  Show Profile
WOW! Someone likes beans the way I do. I have a ham bone with extra meat on it in the freezer and when I bought graceries I bought fresh green beans (ours are gone, too hot) and small red potatoes (we ate all of ours already. There is nothing like it and especially if you fix cornbread or cornmeal muffins with them.

I know what it's like to have my children live far apart. I have children in WA, CA, OK, AL and NC and two with the Lord. I see them when I can. Last year I managed to see all of them that are still alive and I may make it this year too depending on whether one of my sons will be in country to attend his nieces wedding. I will share this with you all. I told you I had seven children but....I never have had all seven of my children together at one time. I was a grandmother by the time my youngest was born so I had three of my children already grown and gone. Over the years I've had six of them together but not once all seven. It's rough not having them near but they have togrow up and leave home and often move away and it's rough on us parents. My two sons have been gone for seven and six respectfully. They were born 14 months apart and they dies 14 months apart. I miss them so much but I have memories to help me through the rough times and I'll see them again when the time comes.

It was hot again here today....108, but supposed to cool down to 95 by Thursday. Have a good evening everyone.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Penny, That is hard. I know you want him to be happy. But you are close as mother and son ... and nothing will break that connection. But, you know, sometimes you have to cry. And that's okay.

I'll bet every vacation, he'll be sleeping on your sofa. That may not be easier, but it will be different.

You, honey, are in my prayers.

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Darlys, I know it is silly for me to feel this way...I just don't like being within a quick road trip to him...you have made me feel better though, thanks

Wow Betty, bless you...I am sorry for your loss...I see that I should be blessed that he is just moving away. thank you for reminding me of my blessings.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:55:59 PM  Show Profile
Penny, It's all right to cry and miss your son. Life can be rough sometimes and it's ok to cry. It will get better and you will enjoy his visits all the more. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  8:03:26 PM  Show Profile
Just finished spraying insect control in my front yard gardens. Sheesh!! Grasshoppers decided to return for a second time around here and have been eating whatever they feel like this year. That was stopped tonight. I don't usually have to use insect control spray but this time was war.

Betty-I lost my first husband of 25 years back in 2000...so I totally understand about loses. There is nothing good about it. I cannot imagine losing a child nor two though. My 2nd husband has. Something we shared together when we met-grieving.

Penny you have every right to be upset about your son transferring to Michigan but you'll be okay. Sure it's far but you can visit. It's good that you are close now-it'll continue. Hang in. Some changes aren't easy.

Ok I'm outta here....have a good evening
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  8:06:00 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Ann...I was at your dinner table tonight too (invisible)....dinner was wonderful :) You reminded me of a ham hock in my freezer (somewhere).......that I can use whenever it gets cooler here. Today was "just" 97!!
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  8:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Becky, I have grasshoppers too..never had them before that I know of...they are all over my pepper plants...I haven't used anything yet but looks like I will have too...think I'm going to try the soap spray I read about first. If that doesn't work, poison it is...
Thanks everyone for the kind words and the prayers...I guess I am the one that needs to GROW-UP huh?
I'm better now, just had to have my little pity party for a little while...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  8:41:42 PM  Show Profile
We need pity parties sometimes. They help us cope, especially if you can share with someone.

Does anyone have trouble with ground squirrels? They drive me crazy eating up my blossoms. the rabbits I've fenced out but the little critters can climb. I've tried keeping food and water for them like a neighbor does for the rabbits but they ignore what they can have and eat the forbidden. I think it's just a matter of planting what they don't like but it's hard not to plant flowers you like.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  11:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Penny...you have every right to cry and greive. My son and daughter-in-love moved to Michigan shortly after they were married
(about a year after) then they had my first Grand-daughter there. But, My Son was great...if I paid my traveling expenses then he paid
for everything while I was there. And I went every year for 4 yrs until they moved back to Seattle. Plus my son brought the
Grandbaby here around the Holidays each year...so, it worked out great. It wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. But...
after four years they were homesick and moved back to Seattle. About 3 hours away from me. Now, I take the train or my younger son and his fiance' take me for a long weekend. So, hopefully...your son will find his way back closer to Mama too. It may take a few years but
nobody can replace Mama!

So glad you all enjoyed dinner with me tonight! It was good if I do say so myself! LOL The only thing I added spice wise was salt, and Mrs.
Dash...Table Blend. My husband wanted sloppy joes...so I made home-made sloppy joe sauce for him and put that over his cornbread. He loved it. So, we were both happy.

Darlys...thank you for having everyone come through the screen door q-u-i-e-t-l-y tonight. I so appreciated it...funny girl!

Betty & Becky...you both still have really HOT weather. I think we were in the mid 70's today. But I still had my air-conditioner on
while I was doing my cooking marathon. Betty...sorry, to hear about your loss of two children. Shouldn't happen...where a child goes
before a parent...it's just not suppose to be that way. My heart goes out to you girlfriend! I misscarried my only girl...my last
pregnancy. It was hard enough to deal with that...but God has used the experience to help me help other younger women throught the same experience. Pain always has a purpose.

gotta go take my dogs out for their last trip of the night.

More tomorrow Ladies...sweet dreams!

Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  07:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Peggy: you had me and my hubby LOL with your screen door story. we loved it! brought back a lot of memmories to me. mama always yelled " were you born in a barn?" when we didn't get the door shut.Those beans sounded so good and hubby liked the idea of sloppy joe on cornbread,never tried it that way before.Need to get me a ham hock, got over 100 quarts of green beans and no seasoning. time for a grub run. lol

Penny: It's always good to cry. Tears wash the soul and you WILL feel better.

Temps will be close to 90 the next 5 days, so will be using a/c here too. the only pest in my garden is moles! hate them. twice we tried those solar stakes and they worked, then quit on us, so we quit trying to use them. sure hope I get some sweet potatoes before they do. :(

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  08:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you PeggyA, that makes me feel better. I know it will be ok...and even if he doesn't come back here, I'm sure we will see each other...he promises to come visit as much as he can. You make me want to fix the same thing...yummy, we had pork chops and black eyed peas...tonight is left overs with cornbread this time. DH makes the cornbread, that is his thing, got to admit his is always better than mine.

Patsy, the tears have helped...I am feeling better this morning. We are so close I told him once he was so much like me it was scary... It is suppose to be 92 here today but here it is 11:37am and only 78...loving it..got all the doors open letting this place air out some...

I have to put up peaches today, so glad it is cooler...since I have the outdoor kitchen...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you are feeling a bit better today, Penny. Just remember that, going forward, it is perfectly okay to get the blues once in a while. We are all here for each other. And when one needs some shoring up ... well you can't find a better bunch a women to give support. And remember, your phone lines reach all the way to Michigan. Meanwhile, can you squeeze in a visit before he heads out? Oh, and don't forget Skype. I understand it is getting better all the time. (I'm still in the woods on that. Haven't figured out how to use it.) I have friends in Arizona who use Skype to keep in contact with their kids and grandkids in California and Iowa. Now make that boy a batch of Brown Butter Toffee Bars and he will move in with you.

Well the Yosemite fire is 35% contained but they don't expect it to be out until Sept. 9th. It's a ways from us but the Mariposa entrance to the park - 30 miles up Hwy 49 from Oakhurst - is closed. The south gate (by us) is open though so all the traffic that would have gone in on 49 is continuing down past us into Oakhurst and going into the park on Hwy 41. We are all praying that the fire season is not as wild as it has been in the past few years. Here's hoping that some of that unseasonable rain we have had will keep the danger down.

Betty, I understand we have ground and tree squirrels in Oakhurst. But since we haven't got anything to speak of planted up there yet -- I can't say what they might go after. The neighbors haven't mentioned them. But, I swear, Oakhurst has got to be the gopher capital of the world! There are holes everywhere! Those sonic devices seem to help a little. But they are just too expensive to put everywhere. I think our main challenges will be be gophers and the deer. We do have rabbits but they are just too cute - as are the quail. (I may not think that when I plant carrots.) Dear friends who live just a mile from us up there have a a wild turkey problem. Turkey poop everywhere. And they have to cover anything that is reflective, car headlights, low windows, etc. because the turkeys peck at their reflections. They also have one peacock in the turkey brigade who seems to think he's a turkey. I guess I can't complain much about critters - yet.

I have just got to mention ... I am delighted to know what everyone else is having for supper - or baking - or preserving (peaches). I will be making sloppy joes for dinner tonight as I have a Junque Sale meeting at church and have to head out at 7 - about the time hubby heads home from work. He can help himself to that and be happy. Thank you so much for that idea, PeggyAnn.

I think I told you about this Junque Sale thing. Maybe not. Anyway it benefits FISH (food pantry) and, over 34 years, I've managed to pull in about 20 area churchs to participate. Now it's a big community deal and folks say "it's the social event of the year." We would have to have the Junque Sale even if we didn't raise big bucks to keep the food pantry stocked. (For those who may not know - FISH refers to the Christian symbol of the fish -- back when ... it meant "help lies within." Our goal is not to preach - just to serve to the best of our ability.) I am in the process of turning over the running of the sale to others. This year I'm trying to step back and just be an advisor. Hard to do since I've always put out all the publicity and coordinated all the volunteers (about 150 of them). I would appreciate prayers for a successful turnover and that the sale continues to generate big $$$ for FISH this year and in the years to come.

I hope all of you picking up the pieces after Irene are doing okay. Our prayers remain with you.

Time for me to get off this chair and get moving.

.... it's a gorgeous day here.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  2:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Darlys, I am so blessed to have all of you to help me through this. He will love that toffee...and he says he is going to come for a long visit before he lives...I will make all of his favorites while he is here. I sure hope the fires calm down...they have to be scary. I hope you are blessed for what you do for others. The organization sounds like a wonderful one. I will keep you in my prayers, always...And again, thank you for the kind words in reference to my Son. I have never used Skype but when he gets settled I will see if we can do that. I would love to be able to see him while talking to him...I am posting a pic of him...just cause...he has a beard and says he is just letting it grow...he gets lots of compliments on it..lol..I think his favorite is when people refer to it as being EPIC...not sure what they mean by that but...he love it...This is David...30 years old and my baby son...my oldest is 37...dang I'm old...lol

But here is one of my favorites

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  2:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Penny...your son David is good looking either with or without a beard. I think by epic...they mean it is really a great full beard...a real
noticable and topic of conversation kind of beard. One you wouldn't easily forget. Especially with it being Red. My husband has a nice full beard and he gets more comments on it. People either as him if he is an Amish Preacher, or they tell him he looks like Honest Abe Lincoln (which Abe was skinny as a rail and my husband bless his heart is more like Santa Claus)lol or some have said that he looks like a Leprauchon. No matter what people think...they always mention it in conversation some how. So funny! ~ I am sure that your son...will be stayen in touch with his
Mama! Skype works so easily and it is a great way to communicate. If you have a Lap Top...most of them have the built in camera and micro-phone. Even some of the newer PC's do too.

Darlys...glad I could help with your dinner plans. LOL

Betty & Darlys...we drove by a farm just outside of town and they had gallon plastic milk jugs upside down on sticks all over their yard. It is to keep the moles, squirels and other critters from disturbing their yard and garden. I bet they had 50 of them but if you just want it for your garden you wouldn't need that many. When the wind blows (even slightly) those milk jugs bang against the sicks causing both a noice on
top of the ground and a vibration below (where the moles live). They did not have one mole hill in their yard and their garden was flourishing. I thought it was a great idea! And cheap!!! Sticks and plastic mild jugs. You might give it a try.

Patsy...glad you and hubby liked my screen door story. Like I said...It wasn't funny at the time...but I can sure laugh about it now.

I told my DH that I wanted a Worm Farm for my 60th birthday this Oct. He said, "Ok, do you want to tell me what a worm farm is and why
you want one?" He is NOT the gardener type. I explained to him that it was a four tiered worm bin for composting. You can keep it on your
porch in the summer and bring it into the kitchen in the winter. He says, "Oh, great we'll be haven worms every where!" I told him they wouldn't be getting out of the bins but I am not sure I convinced him. LOL I think he would rather buy me jewelry...but I don't need any more jewelry...I need a worm farm. LOL I think for my 60th birthday I should get what I want don't you girls??? I may have to stick a bug in my youngest sons ear.(or a worm) Hee Hee!

Well, today I put away the Summer decore outside my Apartment Door and Decorated it all for fall. I don't know why... but I guess I decided that if we weren't going to have any Summer around here that I was ready for Fall to come early. Next I will be doing my Porch.
But I may wait a tad longer on that one.

Off to take a nap. I am tired after re-decorating and walking my dogs. More Later!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 30 2011 2:54:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  2:57:29 PM  Show Profile
I decided to be lazy today so now that it is early evening and cooler I am doing the laundry. I usually do it in the morning but I slept late today for a change. The cat didn't meow so early as he does most days.

Betty, bless your heart. I grew up with a small family and when I got married I had a small family. I would have loved to have had a sister and only had my brother. I wanted my daughter to have a sister but she, too, only had a brother. I know how awful it is to lose a child. I lost my son when he was 29 years old. I have wonderful memories of him and I thank God that through Him he has given me strenth and comfort.

Penny, your son will always be close to you no matter how much physical distance there is between you. I know this is a very hard time for you and probably a hard time for him also.

Holly, I told my husband about your using the chain saw and he was really happy. He put both thumbs up and said, "Good for her!" I would be so afraid to use one. Of course with my self I would probably cut down all the trees by accident and then start on the house.

Becky, I love trains and I would love to see what your husband has done in his special room. I think a train outside will be quite nice. My father had a dear friend who had a minature train that my brother and I could ride on whenn we were kids and it went all the way around his house. The man sat on the engine and we sat in these little cars. I tried to talk my folks into getting an electric train, a small one, to put around our house. They did put one around the Christmas tree.

Going back to the laundry and continue reading my book. Way behind in my reading.

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  3:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, Milk Jug on a Stick! Clever! (Sounds like another interesting deep-fry state fair offering.) You know what? I'm going to try it as soon as I can. Maybe I'll paint wild faces on the milk jugs. lol.

About your 60th --- of course, you should get your worm farm! I think I'd like one, too. (For my 70th next year.) When in October is your birthday? We will all be rooting for you to get your farm. (I'm turning 69 on September 27th and have to laugh when these sweethearts in their 50's bemoan their age. I love em all. Age, my friends, is just a number that tells the world how many years you have had, so far, to be a blessing on this planet. The more years, the better you get at being a blessing. And, Betty, I know - you've got me beat! (Shhh, girls, but - she informed me of that when I first arrived on Mary Jane's Farm - told me she's 71. I felt right at home then. Thank you, Betty, sincerely.)

You, who have lost children or spouses, all of you - my heart breaks for you and I pray for peace for you. A loss is still a loss even when it's been a while and even when we know a loved one is in the arms of God.

Love the pictures of your son, Penny. Love the "epic" beard, too, I think "lumberjack" maybe because of it's substance and because it's red (Paul Bunyan) - and the clean shaven look makes him look like a stockbroker. Either way, he is cute! My baby boy (35)also has the shaved head and a beard - no 'stash, though. If I find a photo I'll post it - but Eric's beard makes him look more like a wizard - or perhaps, Alexander Hamilton.

Nancy, I'm about to hop into the doll making. Tomorrow, I hope. I've got all my stuff out and just need a completely free block of time. Stick around, girlfriend - i may need an atta-girl along the way.

Got the ground beef but have to run to the store to get some hamburger buns. Thanks again, Peggy!

Off for now, you sisters all have a pleasant evening and a good night. See you tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I have to tell you ladies that you make my day....and Darlys and PeggyA guess got to quit saying I'm getting old...dang I am so proud of both of you...my Momma loved her computer and would have loved this group...she would have felt right at home. She has been gone 6 years now...she died at the young age of 70...ya'll really would have loved her...she really was a hoot and so talented...I only got a little of her talent...thank ya'll for the nice compliments on my DS...I love his beard but every time he saves I just have to tell him how much I've missed that pretty face. lol...

Darlys, I can't wait to see the doll you are going to make....ooooo such talented ladies we have around here...post pics as ya go for us to oooohhhh and aaahhh over please.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, it seems that we were gifted with the light end of Irene. The people south of us even just 12 miles were hit far worse. The southern part of the state had major damage. I heard that a 150 foot long covered bridge was picked up and moved off its footings. Our electricity flickered twice but I have heard that there are still parts of the state that do not have electricity. Moretown which is about 20 miles from here has no road going into or out of the village. The people who live in the hills are guesting the people who live in the village for a while.
I heard that up the road from the trailer park that my son lived in there is an RV sale center. Some of the RV's were swept into the river and created a dam. When the RV's were pushed out of the way by the water the build up behind them rushed down in a wall and that is what wiped out the trailers. Robert and his mentor had flood insurance so while losing all of the material belongings they are still alive and not financially in debt because of the insurance.
I would still rather have a hurricane than a tornado or an earthquake. but then again snow storms are far easier to deal with. lol
PeggyAnn sorry about the migraine. I guess you know what caused it but that still makes it no fun. My partner gets them if she eats peanuts, peppers or any kind of pea. Which is a wicked bummer because I really like snow peas.
We do not have screen doors but when the children leave the doors open we yell, close the door! what do you think, we live in a barn? and of course we do live in a barn that the hayloft was converted into a two story house so we all laugh.
Becky, hope you get some painting done. The house always looks so fresh when it is newly painted. I have made curtains for most of the windows. Some of them need to be replaced now because of the cats but that is some future project.
There is a man in Montpelier who had an extensive train collection at his house. I guess it became overwhelming so when he bought a hotel with a restaurant they took some of the trains and put them up near the ceiling and they run all day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  01:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Darlys...My birthday is Oct. 25th. When you mentioned your birthday, I thought...why don't we do a Birthday List for us gals over 50 and send each other Birthday Cards. They don't even have to be home-made unless you want to. I will put the list together if you each will
email me your Full Name and Address and your birthdate. And don't be shy...please tell how old you will be on your up coming birthday. I love mailing out cards...and it is such a simple and sweet thing to do ...to help someone celebrate their birthday and right of passage...
so to speak.

Nancy...Lazy Days are the Greatest! Do any of you Ladies have Pajama Days...where you just stay in your PJ's all day? My sister and I love
pajama days. That is the ultimate lazy day for me. Nothing Better...except sex and chocolate! Well, atleast the Chocolate! Hee Hee!
I have a friend who let her husband take over their entire house with his train tracks. It started out the first year just around the
Christmas tree. Then the next year it went all over the living room and the following year it was all over their entire house. That was
a bit much for me...but I gave her kudos for putten up with it...I would have gone crazy. I can see allowing your man to do one in his man cave or the basement or outside around the yard but to take over your entire living space...I don't thinks so. ~ Nancy, sorry to hear that you lost a son and such a young age. The loss of a child has to be the hardest!

Holly...Love the fact that you Live in a Barn. I have seen some fabulous homes made from Barns...always thought I could live in one too. I like homes that are not little Tickie-Tackie homes, where they all look the same. My favorite style home is an Old Queen Anne Victorian, then I also love converted Churches into homes, I love A-Frames and Barnes and Log Homes. Can you post a picture or several of your home?
That would be fun to see. ~

Well, I am tired and I want to get some reading in. More chitter-chatter tomorrow.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  05:15:55 AM  Show Profile
So I lost my whole message today. Duh! Drats and all that!
PeggyAnn, I wonder how those milk jugs would look in my yard. Maybe I could do something artistic with them and the neighbors might like them. Of course, they might think I am more eccentric than they think I am already. LOL. There are a lot of moles here along with the fire ants. We are fighting them right now.

My husband has a great mulch pile but not one worm. Not many worms where we are here in FL. He need to have a compost bin and buy the worms. I say, if you want a worm farm for your birthday then you should have a compost bin for your birthday! It is your special day! And a Happy Birthday to you!

Penny, your son is a good looking man with or without the beard. He looks like a mountain man with the beard. Reminds me of how my husband looked when he had his beard last year. Your son has nice eyes and a really sweet smile.

I am so sorry, Darlys, about the Yosemite fire. I love that place. I have been there so many times. I used to go there so much when I lived in CA. and it is hard to believe it is in danger. We had a fire here at the Okefenoke Swamp that lasted over a month. I could smell that smoke and it was awful. No one fought the fire it was left to just burn itself out. The trees are so beautiful there in Yosemite I hate to see anything happen to it.

I am praying for your FISH sale to many maxi $$$$. Hopefully the pantry will be able to get filled up. There are so many people in need of food and other things. Here in Fernandina Beach so many are out of work. Our thrift stores are so busy now and as sad as it seems many of the animal shelters are taking in animals that people are giving up because they can no longer afford to keep their dogs or cats. Even pure bred dogs are up for adoption. So sad.

I get hungry just seeing all the good food that is being cooked for dinner and all the good things being made. I think I will go make my breakfast now and get started on my day. Have a good day, ladies.

Holly, I have seen some barn homes and I would love to see some pictures of yours. I, too, love homes that are different.

Hugs,
Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #2301
Live everyday to the fullest
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  05:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Holly, would love to see pics of your home too....glad to hear your son had insurance that will make things a little easier to deal with I'm sure.

PeggyA...that is so sweet of you to do the birthday list. Let me know if I can do anything to help...not sure what but will be happy to if I can. I sat on the front porch this morning with my DH and a cup of coffee...talking about my Dear Friends here...I think he likes that I have made some great friends so far...I look forward to reading the posts every morning...keeps me smiling.

Nancy, I start typing on one page and when I want to go to the next page to read post I have learned (the hard way) to copy my post first and then paste it when I get to the next page. Since I started doing that I haven't lost anything since. Thank you for the sweet compliment on my son, yea he has the most beautiful eyes, they are so blue and I love his smile too. If you decide to do the jug thing and paint them please take pics and share. I hope your DH gets the worms for his birthday...lol..

I need to work on my swaps today and also on the baby presents for my friend, what to do, what to do, maybe I should put what needs to be done in a hat and pull one out...lol...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  08:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Penny...glad you and Nancy so far like the Birthday List Idea: just don't forget to email me you Full Name, Address and Birthdate and how old you will be on your upcoming birthday. I think this will be fun! ~ I am always sharing the blessings and the funny stories with my hubby too. Too bad men can't connect as easily as women do.

Nancy...I must admit the milk jugs don't look very attractive but hey if you are desperate to get rid of critters it might be worth it. If
you want a prettier idea. Those big colorful twirling pinwheel flowers would make enough racket and fibration. You can buy those at the dollar store.

Well, I got up with the chickens this morning...which is bad because I read last night (actually this morning) until 20 minutes to Four.
And I was wide awake at 7:00. Guess who will be taking an extra long nap today. But I'm with you Penny...I have several swap things to work on this morning so, I will need to get off this computer and get in gear.

Later Lovelies,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  09:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message

Penny, I have 2 children in CA, 1 in GA and 1 in NC. The one in GA will be moving to Germany early next year. She gave us our first grandchild another to be born in January. Our other grandbaby lives in NC. I am close with all my children and keep in touch daily either on the phone, texting or facebook (haven't really figured out how to use it though).

Peggy we must all have worm farms on our minds. I dreamt about them the other night. Had put lots of cardboard down over the garden for the winter and when I picked it up there were worms everywhere lol. Must be an omen!

The milk jug trick sounds interesting. We have never had ground squirrels before but they have been out hand this year. Between them and the rabbits, I lost all my sweet peas. We tried burying bottles 3/4 of the way down. Leaving the top exposed. The wind blowing is supposed to cause whistling and keep the critters away. Can't say that one worked.

I'm getting alittle concerned reading about the model trains lol. My husband has been telling me all summer that he is finally going to build his this winter.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page