Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  10:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Morning

I slept in late but went to bed later then usual too...want to go out to breakfast now but my late owl hubby is still sleeping (10am)...have to give him time to wake up before we go out to eat. We have a couple places that do breakfast until 2pm. Yeah :):)

I got a little bit done in the last couple of days off from watching my granddaughter McKenzie. Miss her when she's not here but I enjoy "my" time when she isn't here-I don't have to worry about watching having her search for & picking up the tv remote or any remote or phone and then she does her thing and anything can happen...we have a game doing this as I catch her before she gets them or she gets them before me and starts hitting buttons and giggling. I have made her my assistant turning on the ceiling fans and she loves that. She is such a kick in the pants.

Peggy- my nephew had a worm farm when he was little. I bought worms for our cottage garden after we moved in in 2008. Rented a tractor to work the soil and pull out dead weeds/plant roots...OMG what work that was. Brought in good soil,etc...and that's when I bought worms. Dan thought I had lost my mind but I explained to him how good worms were in a garden bad-he understood. So get that worm farm and have fun!! I will send you my b-day info next. Sounds like fun. I have pj days alot. Hehehehe...there is no one around us usually so it is nice. haven't had to meet the UPS guy in them "yet"...

Nancy-that is cool about your Dad's friend who had the trains outside that you could ride. That's what Dan wants to do in a garden bed area in the back. He wanted to have it done by this Christmas but that won't be happening. It's been such a hot summer this year so we don't go out let alone do much work out there. It's also humid too. UGH.

A.J.-hi there! Welcome to our group. When it comes to making a model train layout just make sure your husband knows what he wants to do and especially "where" he wants to do it. We have friends who have built train tracks along the top of their rooms and that go from room to room. Others don't. Some have turned their garages into a train house. Dan has the added on room for all of his stuff (model train layout, tv, ham radio, computer, gun safe)...all he really needs in there is a fridge, microwave and a bathroom and he's be all set. I suppose he'd like his garage workshop too but it isn't that big. Hahahaha...

Holly-wow a barn house!! I am impressed. I love houses that are different. Can't wait to see photos of your place. Reading about all of the damages in VT from Irene is soo sad. This is the worst part of a hurricane-the aftermath. Unreal looking at the photos on Foxnews of all of the roads that are gone,etc...there is going to be a lot of work going on for a long time. My sweet cats love to destreoy our mini blinds if we haven't pulled them up so they can sit and watch the outside world...little devils. We got a new kitten a year ago for our older cat to have an inside buddy. I wanted a male orange tabby this time...Dan thought I was nuts until he got to experience "Red's" darling personality. Red is now fully grown BIG putty cat at probably 20 lbs (go figure)...but he is quite a nut. That's how male orange tabbys are. We watch both cats chasing each other running down the hall at night going past us and then turn around and go back the same way in seconds flat. The two dogs look up at us and we just say "crazy cats"...and they go back to sleep unless the cats have jumped over them in their runs. Never a dull moment here. There are restaurants around that have model trains through the place too. It is so cool to watch. Kids (and my husband) love them.

OK I am going to take my shower...have a good day everyone.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  10:40:10 AM  Show Profile
Penny, I learned (also the hard way) just the other day to copy my messages before rolling back - and I was going to share that just when you did. Great minds!

Holly, me, too. Me, too! Post some pictures of your home.

PeggyAnn, I think a birthday list is definitely a wonderful idea. I know I would be delighted to get a card from a "sister" and I really enjoy sending birthday greetings, too. You are a doll to do this! (Maybe, anyone who is comfortable with it could add their phone number. Never know when a sister might be passing through the 'hood.)

Nancy, Yes, those wild fires are destructive - but, (happily?) I hear, this one seems to be one of the smaller ones. Just a couple of years ago they were burning such a wide swath in the Mariposa area that Oakhurst air wasn't fit to breathe. So, I know what you mean about the fire at Okefenoke Swamp. This one seems to be staying away from us. In a few years there will be a lot of new growth though. Yosemite seems to regenerate and in some cases reinvent itself in a beautiful way. The good news is that nobody has been hurt and no homes have been lost.

Thank you, too, girlfriend, for prayers for the FISH Junque Sale.

We hold it the first Saturday in November every year. It has become famous (for a fantastic deal) in these parts. We have to start planning now as we have to get the publicity out by mid-September to churches for inclusion in their October and November newsletters and bulletins. One of my joys is that we get a number of folks shopping at the sale who are down on their luck, out of work, and just plain struggling. And they have just as much dignity as the next person getting a deal. They know they can get a grocery bag full of decent clothes for $1 and household stuff and bedding and such really, really cheap. Some folks do their Christmas shopping at the sale. We have "stuff" spilling out of the church in every direction as donations flow in from so many churches and folks in the community. It's a fun time in spite of the intense labor that goes into it, and, even with the pittance prices, we should make $10,000-$12,000 for the food pantry.

My word! I get on that soapbox and have a hard time getting off! I have so many stories, some heartwarming, some heart breaking, from that event over the years. Sorry, that meeting last night revved my motor. Turning the leadership over isn't quite as easy as I thought it would be. But things seem to be going well.

Husband of the gal who is taking over for me went over to the church garden while we were meeting and picked a flat of GORGEOUS heirloom tomatoes for us all to pick over and take home. BLT's tonight!

PeggyAnn - Hubby loved the Sloppy Joes. Just put out his plate, and he dished up his own Joes and corn. They are so easy to make ... I'm putting them on my "regular" busy day rotation.

Time to quit warming this chair - looks like another nice day in the Bay Area. See you later.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  3:07:56 PM  Show Profile
PeggyA, I also love the idea of a birthday list for us AARP age ladies. If you need help of any kind just let me know. I would be glad to help. I am going to email you with my name, farmgirl name, address and age next BD. Let me know what I can do ....Claudia

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  5:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Tears, tears, tears, DS just called he is leaving on the 16th, a month before I thought he was....He said Momma I know you don't want me to go...and I told him "no I don't, but I want you to be happy and if this makes you happy then I'm ok with it" I really mean it...but man this is hard. He is so sweet tho...he says Momma we will see each other at least 4 times a year. Ya'll can come up once and I will make the other 3 trips. It will be ok...he's trying to make his Momma feel better...Gosh I love that boy...He says he is going to come spend the weekend of the 10th with me...This is going to be hard saying goodbye...I know he is a grown man and has to do what is best for him..but dang he is still my baby...I love you David...be happy Son...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  5:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

We had beef and broccoli stir fry for supper.

Penny, I think you son looks like a Viking with his red beard. Maybe people think he looks like Eric the Red. With out his beard he has a great baby face but I guess for a thirty year old man he might not think that is a compliment.

I will try to put a picture on this site. I am one step above computerly illiterate.
[
We have three forms of heat in the house. We have oil heat all around the first floor. I keep the heat set at 60 or so and use a wood stove to raise it up to a toasty temperature. So, we use about 8 cord of wood a season. I am a year ahead or will be soon. I cut the wood and block it up. the children much to their disgust and dismay each year split it with the splitter and stack it in the barn. We have a tractor to bring the wood to the splitting area. We lend our tractor to the neighbor to fix his road and in exchange he allows us to use the splitter. We can split the wood over several weeks if we need too. Before we started the barter we rented the splitter and did all of the splitting in two days. I said to my doctor it takes me a week to recover from splitting the wood now and it only used to take two days. she said, Holly you are getting older and do not heal like you used too. Ireplied thanks a lot!

I think Peggy Ann that you should send your dh the website for the worm farm. Help him along with some gentle nudging. I could send you some worms. We have millions I think in the manure pile. I give people manure for their gardens in the spring and tell them the manure is free but the worms are a penny a piece so keep count as they unload. Eachperson laughs heartily. One man that takes manure is going to help me extract my honey this year so that will be yummy. Nancy I wonder if cold weather worms will live in Florida. I wonder why you do not have any in your compost? Mine just appeared and multiplied.

It seems I can't keep up reading on this board so I am a day behind. Oh, well all your wonderful writing is still here when I get back.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  6:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Peggy A, this one is for you...and trust me I understand it to....I don't have hot flashes, I have short, private vacations in the tropics.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  10:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey Holly, Beef & Broccoli stir fry is something we have now and then. But to be reminded of it makes it sound really good. Might just make it for dinner tonight. PeggyAnn got me making Sloppy Joes on Tuesday night. There was nothing left over - at all. Last night I made baked potato soup and BLTs. Heirloom tomatoes were fresh from the church garden - and they were heavenly (pardon the pun). :-)

Enjoyed your "penny-a-piece" worms. Worms seems to be the hot topic just now. Last week it was Irene and our little/big girl activities (paperdolls, coloring, etc.) Worms are good. It is so funny to see what catches our fancies and we run with from time to time. I had a compost pile many years ago (in a different lifetime) and will again once we retire to Oakhurst (next year - I've been promised.)

Hey there, Penny ... you will be on an emotional roller coaster for a while. I just googled the distance from Washington, GA to Lansing (since I don't recall you saying where in MI David will be) and while it's a good bit further than a 2 hour drive ... 825 miles is about a 14 hour drive (not bad). And, hey, there might even be a train - and that could be fun. Keep your chin up, babe, and even when those tears are rolling down your cheeks, be comforted by knowing how very much your baby loves you.

I just realized! Did I say "train!"? Oh my - I did mean a BIG train, Penny, not the little ones! (There is a model train, top shelf in DH's closet just waiting ...)

PeggyAnn -- you are such a sweetheart to coordinate Birthday information for the Chronologically Gifted Group. I hope everybody here jumps in to participate.

Going to relax and have my morning cuppa java now. Have a great day, sisters!

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  11:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning!

Just got on here and McKenzie is awakening from her morning nap...my timing wasn't good-haha...I do rebounding usually on my mini trampoline while she is sleeping too...then I don't worry about what she's doing while I am bouncing/jogging on it. She knows that she gets to sit on it after I am done....I do small jumping so she bounces up and down--:):) She loves it!!

Just heard her do her I'm awake Grandma voice so I'm off for now.......off to bounce, bounce, bounce (like Tigger)
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  2:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies, I went in with hubby this morning when he went to physical therapy and while he was there I went grocery shopping down the street. We live 15 miles from where we can get groceries. Our town has a tiny store but prices are out of line. Before we left I started green beans, bacon, onions and small red potatoes in the slow cooker for dinner tonight and then he informs me we're eating out tonight since both of us have a meeting this evening. Well, guess I've tomorrow nights dinner half made. I belong to the local quilt guild but only make one third of the meetings if that. Something always stops me from being able to go. I think I'll make it tonight so I can pay my dues.

Penny, That's not too bad to travel to see your son. One of my daughters is 1000 miles away, another 2700 miles away and a son about 1500 miles away and another about 1700. I still manage to see them at least once a year. My closest is my daughter that is 158 miles away. It's rough on mom's and dad's when children leave home but they're always with us in our hearts and with present day communication they're only a phone call, or computer away to call and chat and we have autos, trains, buses and planes for transportation. Cheer up love. I'm sure he feels bad about moving away from you but that's what our children do, grow up and move and make a new life. We're all here for you if you need comfort.

We pulled all of the garden up yesterday except for the onions and the asparagus. The rest was finished. I didn't put anything up this year as the heat didn't make for a good harvest. I have plans for next year though. A friend brought over two of her bantam hens that she wanted to breed with one of my roosters since she doesn't have a rooster and my little lavender roo is doing his job already. They'll stay here until next week and then they'll go home. She plans on putting the eggs in her incubator so I'm going to send some of my bantam eggs with her and see if any of mine will hatch.

All of you have a good afternoon, Betty
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Darlys, I'm not exactly the name of the city he will be in either I do know it isn't that far outside of Detroit, his Dad use to live in Utica, MI. But I am so much better today. Been sewing and planning what I will fix him to eat when he comes on the 10th. I am glad that he is happy and excited about his move. I will visit him and he will come home some. Thank you for your kind words. Hey, who knows maybe he will find the love of his life up there and give me Grandbabies...I have 2 grandsons from my oldest son, so who ever knows.

Come back and see us Becky when you can...I bet that little sweet McKenzie is something else.

Betty, Wow your children are a long way away too. I know that is what we all want is for them to grow-up and have a happy life. I guess I am just being a little selfish....but as I said earlier, I want him happy. I didn't get much put up this year either. All I had enough of was okra. My Momma loved the little bantams too...I hope you get some hatched. I would like to have chickens but we are going to have to build a pen with a top and a bottom so the coyotes don't get them...

I was just outside and saw a beautiful spike buck. Good seeing them eating acorns already, that means there will be plenty for hunting this year. I will check in later. Thanks ladies for making me feel better...I promise I'm not always so whiny....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  9:50:00 PM  Show Profile
My chicken pen is built with a top cover and fencing buried a foot below ground so the coyotes and the hawks can't get to them. I've never had a coyote jump our outide fence so far. I saw one yesterday crossing the road about 100 feet from our place. Our 2 1/2 acreas are fenced all around with four foot fencing but I know they could jump it if they wanted to.

I just came home from my quilt guild meeting and we had a speaker tonight that travels all over the US. She showed slides of quilts made over a 30 year period and she was quite interesting. She'll be teaching machine applique and machine quilting tomorrow and Saturday but I can't take the classes as I have other committments both days. I can do both but I'd like to do them better. Guess I'll just have to practice more. I got to show my quilt I made for my granddaughters wedding present and everyone liked it. My next project after I make the label for her quilt is to layer and quilt my daughters quilt I'm making her for Christmas. The top has been finished for several months but just haven't got to the quilting part yet. After that I want to start a new one for me from fabric I bought on our trip to OK when my husband and I went back to Bartlesville for his 53rd reunion. He went to Ok Wesleyan's branch in Kirksville, MO and it's not there anymore so they're held in OK. I'm going to call the quilt my OK trip and I'm using the trip around the world pattern. I have two others about ready for hand quilting which I'll do when the weather cools down since my quilt frame is a small one and it will rest over my legs.

Well, it's goodnight for me so hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  12:24:13 AM  Show Profile
Hello My Lovelies...Just popping on for a very quick chat. I am soooooooo tired tonight! Had my last Crafting Class tonight...that
changes back into my Bible Study Group starting next Thursday Night. I will have to get busy preparing the Lessons. Hope I don't forget after not doing it for 3 months. lol Can you gals believe it is September already. Crazy!!!

Well, so far we have 9 of us signed up for the Birthday List. Darlys...I think phone numbers would be a nice addition to the List. You 8
ladies who already emailed me your info. Please email me your phone #'s too if you feel comfortable with that. Anybody else want to be
on the Birthday List...to send a B-day Card too Please just email me with your full name, address, phone# and Birthdate...along with the age you will be on your upcoming Birthdate.

Penny...glad that you are feeling better about David.

Darlys...thanks for the reply email! Too tired tonight to get back to you...but I will! :+)

Glad that the Sloppy Joes...were a hit (will have to give my DH credit for that as He has me make them for Him about every other week, if not every week. We do the Sauce on Hamburger buns, Mashed Potatoes, Toast and Cornbread. (For variety!)The cornbread makes it taste like you are eating Tamale Pie. Pretty darn good!

My Seize the Day Calendar quote for the Day was: "Allow your light and vision to shine." You gals all certainly do that. (especially for me). Speaking of Shining...I just took a picture of one of my purple morning glories (growing in with my veggies)...the picture came out so cool because #1 it looks blue instead of purple but the inside of the Star in the Middle of the flower is actually shining...like "God Glow". It gives me chills just to look at it. You'll see what I mean!

Is that a God thing or what?

Blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  04:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning on the second day of September. PeggyAnn, you are absolutely right. That star is glowing and the morning glory is so blue! How beautiful for me to look at that. Only God could make anything so wonderous and captivating.

I went down to the beach yesterday to gather some shells and just relax walking along the shore. I read in our local newspaper that the hurricane had brought a lot of shells onto the beach. We get a bi-weekly paper that comes out on Wed. and Fri. Well, the lady who wrote the article in the paper was there on Sat. and I guess many other people were there also because there were too many shell of the kind she was talking about were left. I did find some though. Just being by the ocean and seeing the waves, smelling the salt air, hearing the sounds of the birds and sea were enough for me. I had a wonderful time.

Penny, I am happy that you are feeling better about David. My daughter lives on the other coast and I remember how hard it was to leave when I moved. We are all here for you if you need us.

Betty, I have yet to pull up my garden. It looks pretty sad out there. I did see a couple of female cardinals there poking around the other day. The female cardinals are pretty to see even though they are not so red. I love their orange beaks. I am always surprised to see the birds flying around in the pine trees and brush near our back yard. Sometimes we get woodpeckers and even egrets.

My little cat is ill today. He is an indoor-outdoor cat and I think he ate something bad. He had a taste for lizards and other little creatures. I am going to have to take him to the vets today to see what is wrong with him. Late time we never did find out what was wrong but the vet gave him an antibiotic and some other meds and he got well. The cat did eat a little this morning but has been sleeping ever since.

Going to have my coffee now and then off for my morning walk. Have a good day, ladies.

Hugs,
Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #2301

Live everyday to the fullest

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  06:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning...

Even if I wanted to sleep in this morning...wasn't going to happen. Last year we got our bedroom built. I live in what use to be a deer camp cabin, very, very small...(but I love it) DH built a nice big bedroom for us since all we had was the bunk room. When we were first married we slept in a twin bed. (NOW THATS LOVE)...LOL..Anyway....back to why I didn't get to sleep in. We have a porch on the existing cabin part and were planning on extending it on the bedroom end. Ok, I know, I'm rambling.. so, they started yesterday putting the porch on...and back today. I say they but really it is DH and a friend that is helping...

Boy I just read what I wrote...I see where I was jumping around..oh well going to leave it as is...DH told me when the bedroom was finished and we moved into it and our queen size bed, that the year and a half we spent in the twin bed would be the happiest times of our lives. It was great but I really like the extra room in the queen bed...you need lots of room when you have those awful night sweats.

Betty, Your pen sounds just like the one we are going to have to build. We have so many coyotes around here. DH seems to be able to kill at least one a month. Last weekend there was a tournament here, just to kill coyotes. They are getting really brave lately. DH was in the kitchen outside and had one pop out of the woods less than 30 yrd away...not that is way to close...it scares me so bad that they are going to get my little dogs or my cat. Betty if you can post a pic of your quilts I sure would like to see them. I started a quilt years ago and hope to finish it some day..I got it unpacked a couple months ago so at least now I can work on it when I want to.

PeggyA, That flower is awesome. I just love how it glows...God Glow...love that. I will send you my phone number in just a bit. This year is going to be gone before we know it...remember when we were younger it seemed like years just drug by, now they sprint by...so quickly. I like the idea of the sloppy joes with cornbread...might have to give that a try.

Nancy, so glad you had a good time at the beach..it is peaceful when there isn't alot of people around. I sure hope your kitty feels better soon, I know I would be worried if it were mine.

I am going to post a pic of my horse Jiggy, you won't believe what he was doing...I'm glad I had my phone so I could take a pic...that horse is such a mess..lol that is the water hose in his mouth...he just stood there for the longest letting the water spray in his mouth...it was just too funny

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Sep 05 2011 11:13:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  08:42:57 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

I love the morning glory. It does have God's glow.... I love the horse. They have a personality for sure. A friend brought two of her chickens for breeding as she doesn't have a rooster. I have two so we hope to get some babies hatched out of her incubator until mine go broody probably next spring.

I will post some of my quilts soon. I have to go south today, 76 miles one way as my hearing aid broke. It may be next week but won't know until I call and see if she can fit me in today.

What is everyone planning for Labor Day? Hubby has to work. The furniture store always has a big sale but we might cook out when he comes home. Everyone in our neighborhood is going away and our family so far apart we won't be doing much else. Hope everyone has a good day, Betty
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  09:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Nancy...I should be out walking today too but my body says...oh, forget it and go back to bed for
awhile...you've worked too hard this week. Have you ever noticed that once your body starts betraying
you with age, it also start lying to you too. :+)

Penny...Jiggy is pretty. Has your same color hair (coat and mane) lol ~ A Twin Bed...you two must be awfully skinny! The Queen bed will add Longevity to the marriage that's for sure! lol

Betty...we have nothing planned for the Holiday weekend either. I have never been one
who likes to travel on Holidays anyway. The traffic is crazy here with every one heading
for rivers, lakes, Ocean and Mountains. ~ Good Luck on the chickens Betty.

You gals should see me...I am sitting on my Office Chair that my husband broke (when he sat on it)
and it is tilting to one side. The only thing keeping me from sliding off is my feet and legs bracing
me. I think we may go office chair shopping this weekend. I think a Purple one would be great!

Well, back to bed for awhile.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  4:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

Just checking in here to see what's happening. Had a fun morning with my daughter and McKenzie (my girls)...we went out to breakfast and then on to Wal-Mart. But the hubs and I also need to go to the grocery store our town to get some stuff for the holiday weekend. Having some really good friends traveling in their 5th wheel to spend a couple of weeks here at our place-they are arriving on Sunday. It will be sooo nice seeing them again.

Penny that is a cute photo of your horse Jiggy!! You don't have to worry about jumping around on your posts. I call that "Becky talk"...I do that all of the time. What's funny is when I catch someone else doing it-now that's funny.

Peggy that is a beautiful morning glory photo.

Ok...I'm outta here for now. I want to get in and out of the store beforew everyone else is off work,etc...and of course, now I'm getting hungry too. Hadn't eaten since breakfast out. Great timing to hit up a grocery store, huh? have a good evening everyone.

Becky~
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Well, here it is Friday evening with a holiday weekend ahead of us. I don't like driving over a holiday either so will call everyone and see what is going on. Like I said this morning, we'll be staying home except for hubby working all weekend so maybe I can work outside in the cool of the mornings and also practice on my embroidery machine. My right hearing aid broke so mailed it off to get it fixed so that will be a ten day ordeal. I can cope as long as I get it back before we leave for San Francisco. My hearing isn't as bad as my hubby's and I often hear for him.

I am sending photos of some of my quilts. For some reason a couple have a bad file and can't open them but these should give you an idea. The log cabin one is the one for my granddaughter. The grandmothers garden is a handpieced one I am making for myself and so is the blue hexagon with six pointed stars around it. Both of them will be handquilted this winter when I can stand them on my lap and in fact will welcome them.

All of you have a safe and happy holiday weekend, Betty

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  5:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today is Taliesin's 14th bithday. My baby is growing. He was a 4 pound 10 inch newborn and is now about 5'8" and 180 pounds. He told me when he was younger that he would always sit next to me on the couch and always kiss me good night. He has been true to his word.

Peggy Ann, October 25 is my brother's birthday as well. He will be 53. he is out gold dredging in Oregon for the summer. I hope he is doing well. He has a satellite phone and I have not heard from him much this summmer.

I am not good at remembering who said what, but for the person who wrote about the coyote killing contest. There used to be one in Southern Vermont but PETA got after them a few years back. They may still have it but the advertising and post articles are not so public.

Betty, your quilts are beautiful. One summer many years ago I worked at a Girl Scout camp almost on Cape Cod and we made a quilt like your Grandmother's garden. We pieced it by hand. Do you do the piecing by hand.?

Today Ross (3) and I spent the afternoon outside in the fields and woods. He is a sharp little guy and doesn't miss anything. We watched the hawk soar and the dragonflies dart around. The apples are abundant this year he loves to pick and eat them. He knows where the best ones are. The trees are all many years old. They were here when we moved in in 1984. I have been clearing the trees around them that have grown tall and shadow them so they have a chance of producing.

Our cow has mastitis in one of her quarters. I have been treating it and milking her out. It seems to be on the mend. She likes to stand in the pond on hot days and soak her underside and swish her tail to get her back wet.

This weekend there is a big flea market down on the recreation field in town. I would like to go to it tomorrow morning. I am hoping to have time to work on the screen house as well. I would like to get the rest of the blocked wood split and put in the barn to see how much more I need to cut to be done. and I have ATC's I need to get moving on so they will be done on time to mail out.

Have a good evening.
s

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  8:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Holly,

The log cabin quilt is machine pieced and I had someone machine quilt it for me for my granddaughters wedding present. The grandmothers garden is paper pieced by hand and it is almost finished so I can hand quilt it this winter. The blue hexagon with the six pointed stars around the hexagon is also hand pieced and will be hand quilted also. I just started machine quilting a few years ago and while they go faster I like the feel of hand piecing while sitting in my chair watching TV like I do my crocheting and knitting.

My daughter in NC called this evening and said that my granddaughter is upset because her bridal shower is only four days away and the church called and said she wouldn't be able to use the fellowship hall as there are still 12 inches of water on the floor. My daughter is scrambling around to find somewhere else for it. I told her she'll find somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  08:04:23 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning "Farm Gals"
It is hard for me to get to the computer during the week and so Sat is a treat for me to read all the posts. Sat mornings consist of this... I sleep in, Get up feed the animals, grab coffee, sit back and read the farm gal news, laugh, giggle and sometimes cry, then get ready to go and meet my friends for our Sat breakfast. I want to thank you all for adding to my day.
I can't remember who I would send my address to. I want to be on the birthday list? I love to send cards & letters through "Snail Mail" Ain't nothing like going to the mailbox and getting a greeting instead of bills and wasted advertisments.Please let me know!
I also wanted to share with Penny about when I left home in Ohio 29 years ago. (I know that her son is leaving to go to another state) I had always lived not more than 5 miles from my parents. My parents and I were very close...especially mom. Then Hubby got a job in Ga and we had to move. It was so sad and hard to move from my family. My PLANS were to live in Ohio near my parents in a cute little house with a picket fence with 3 kids. But...Have you ever heard of this...."You want to make God laugh?...Tell Him your plans!!! Well. I live in the country, in the state of Ga, no picket fence and no children! So much for my plans. But I will tell you this. God's plan has been so much better for me. He has given me some land and a house that holds holiday meals for people that don't have family around to be with them. I have a great chosen family and their children that I love and my mother has lived 10 miles from for the last 13 years. Sometimes when I really look at the big picture...I can see God's PURPOSE for me and alot of people don't get that in life. It has been a Happy Great Life. I wish that for you and your son.
Now...enough of the sermon..I am off to breakfast and will post later. Yippeee! It is Sat and a long weekend.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  09:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Mornin'

McKenzie is here and already ready for her morning nap. I woke up at 6am this morning for some dumb reason?? Hmmm...so I made some coffee and fed the bluejays their peanuts...then I went outside to watch the hummers/flowers blooming and more of mother nature in the cool air. It'll be 95 today...fall is slowly coming. I heard someone say that this August was the hottest August here in some time. I would have to agree on that. I am just very glad we have AC!!!

Betty you make beautiful quilts. Flea market sounds like fun Holly!!

Later girls.....
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  11:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Debra -- It is PeggyAnn who is compiling the Farmgirl Over 50 Birthday List.

Betty, the quilts are beautiful. I hope your granddaughter finds a good place for the shower. I know she will love that quilt!

I just spent a good part of the morning already on the Porch - so I have to get on with the weekend.

You farmgals all have a relaxing and/or fun weekend. Fall is almost here.

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  4:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi everybody,
Late in the day for me. Just having a busy day today catching up on my sewing for a change. I am making a gypsy doll which I worked on most of the afternoon. I am also sewing a carpetbag purse which I told myself I would finish in August. Well, that didn't happen so I made myself finish it today. I wouldn't let myself procrastinate any longer.

Penny your horse is so beautiful. I love the different personalities of animals. That is such a cute picture.
Betty, your quilts are so lovely. I love the grandmother's garden. Seventy six miles is such a long way to go to get your hearing aid fixed. I am not good at going long distances except when traveling by train or plane on a trip. I don't even like to go in to south Jacksonville which is about 45 minutes away to go to the nearest JoAnns Fabrics.

My husband,Leon, and I have no plans for the weekend. We live about 4 miles off of Amelia Island which has a lot of tourism. So this weekend it is fun to watch the tourists going onto the island and the island residents coming off the island to get away. Some of our neighbors left yesterday to away. I think we will just relax and enjoy the cooler weather and the nice breezes.

Holly, happy birhday to your son. Don't they grow up fast? He's about the size that my son was at that age. I have been working so hard on my ATC's. I finally am caught up a bit.

PeggyAnn, let us know if you get that chair this weekend. My imagination started working and I could see you sitting there with your feet and legs holding you up. LOL

Debra, thanks for sharing about when you left home. I had my plans about about what kind of wedding I was going to have, what kind of house I was going to live in, etc. and of course, God had other plans for me also. Despite all the hardship life might bring, I still find each day to be so positive and hopeful and I look forward to what it will bring.

Have a great holiday weekend, dear friends. :))

Hugs,

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #2301

Hugs,
Nancy
Farmgirl Sister

Have a happy Labor Day Weekend everybody.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  9:57:36 PM  Show Profile
Well...I went to look for a new chair today but haven't bought one yet. I don't want office black or brown,
I want something snazzy like purple, red or pink. Why have boring when you can have style.

We also took Snickers our Scottish Terrier and Bella our Shi tzu to get groomed. Last time my DH took Snickers in (who is 7 months old)to the groomer she said she thought he looked like a Cairn instead of a Scotty...so she talked my husband in to letting him cut him in to a Cairn style. I was up set to say the
least. I can't help it if she thinks he looks like something he is not. He is a Registered full blooded
Scottish Terrier with parents who have such long names I can't even pronounce them. So, this time I told
her what I wanted him to look like. She had been confused because He is a Brindle Color which is rare in
Scottish Terriers. It just means that one of the two parents was a Black Scottish and on was a Wheaten (white) Scottish resulting in the Brindle Color. All the pups in his litter were male and Brindle which is
even more rare I guess. Snickers is mostly Black (his head)with cream, brown, and red. His brother who my son has is Brindle all over, but he is Grey, brown and red. They are the sweetest, loving boys. Adorable but
naughty...they are very high energy, feisty and fun and full of themselves. Bella keeps Snickers in his place but my sons dog has no alph female to keep him grounded. So, I take Snickers over to play often because Snickers was the alpha male of the litter...and so he gets to be boss once in awhile. Good for
both of the Scotties.

My hubby and I are staying close to home. He is glad to have the 3 day weekend. He was pretty stressed on
Friday at work. So, he needs the quiet retreat of Home.

Well, hope you all enjoy whatever you do for the weekend. JUST make it fun and make it count!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 04 2011 1:01:04 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page