annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Patsy that "Pee" sign is so funny. Wasn't it fun playing in the dirt with the men and horses. We each had our bag of green men and we could build a fort. And sometims we would add a little water and get some mud.

Congrats on your new machine, Betty.

I was pretty good at playing 4 square. I think it was because the ball was so big. I love dodge ball, too. Some school districts have banned dodge ball saying it was too rough for the kids and they could get hurt. We must have been tougher in our day. LOL

About those buttonholes. I have practiced but still can't do a good job on them. I need to paractice more. I love sewing though; it is just those darn buttonholes.

I loved climbing trees and I guess I was a tomboy. My big problem was getting down from the tree once I had climbed up. I was the kid who came home with the torn clothes or the skinned knee. I have an eye perception problem since 3 years old so I was sort of clumsy. I have a funny story about my perception problem,
My ex-husband, my daughter and I went to the movies one day. We bought popcorn which he was carrying. As we walked down the dark aisle I noticed it was very crowded. He was walking in front of us and slipped in to sit down a few rows ahead. Then she and I went in and sat down next to what we thought was him. My daughter began to eat the popcorn out of the popcorn container as we watched the movie. We sat there about 10 or 15 minutes. When the screen got a little lighter I saw this man's head about 3 rows in front of us and recognized it as my husband. I elbowed my daughter and told her we were in the wrong row. We quickly got up and moved, of course. We couldn't figure out (1) why my ex-husband didn't wonder where we were and (2) why that man let my daughter keep eating his popcorn! LOL

PeggyAnn, I will be dreaming tonight about pink tumbleweed with glitter.

Debra, when you slammed the screen door did you ever hear your mom yell, "Don't slam the screen door!" right before you slammed it? I can still hear my mom say that. I always tried to trade part of my sandwich at lunch for a peanut butter sandwich. My mom rarely made peanut butter sandwiches for my brother and me.

I pray for all the people being affected by Irene. I hope Irene will go away quickly and things will be safe again.

I like snakes, rats, but those spiders are too creepy for me.

Hugs,
Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #2301

Live everyday to the fullest
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  4:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Ok, trying to play "catch-up" here! Ain't gonna happen though! lol
Oh Nancy...your theater story cracked me up. ROFL!!!
Betty, that machine of yours sounds wonderful. I can't even fathom it...so intricate!
I loved playing "Men&Horses" with my sister all summer. It was fun to see if the horse-tracks we made the day before were still out there the next morning.We had such a fine dust to make tracks in. And...uhh...before my sister tells it...I was the one who ate the mud pies that we made from our sandbox.She loves to tell that story. She tells how I crunched that gritty that sand while she listened. (I wonder if that's why I have tummy troubles to this day?) lol ....what?....I saw the chickens eat it...they never fell over dead!!!LOLOLOL ....moving on....
Our cat was going nuts, sitting in the window last evening, so I looked out and lo'n behold, there was a skunk walking right under the window. It looked up at me, then shuffled off. We've been seeing one every night lately. Actually Rascal sees them. I just watch him, then go over and look out, and there they are. There's 2 different ones.They start around 10PM.Plus we have a BIG raccoon out there some nights. We have a regular Wildlife Preserve here! lol
Praying everyone on the East coast will be ok.
Deb, No, I didn't feel the earthquake here, but just down the road, at a little store, they felt it. Weird! Just here & there.
I would love to see pics of someones Victorian paper-dolls. I'll bet they're pretty.
I spent the day at my Mom's looking at old pictures of her family. That was fun. I just love old pics.This day went FAST!!!lol
Have a great evening Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  5:57:23 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I had to laugh for my brother was the same. He always did some foolish thing like lick the worms!!!!I remember one time my brother went fishing at the river and he cought a carp. Brought it home and we through it in the pool of our neighbors. Right over the fence. We could here the fish splashing in the pool. The neighbor kids were rich,and wouldn't invite us to go swimming!(They were mean kids too) My brother showed them.
And about the screen door!!! I can remember my mom saying " It is either in or out and if I hear that screen door slam one more time" oops! It slammed! Then she would lock/hook it so we couldn't get in. She wouldn't leave it locked very long. She just wanted to prove a point. Mom's are like that.
Wasn't that a fun time? No worries or responsabilities except going out to play. And why do we want to grow up so fast? Maybe that is why we are all talking about paper dolls and our childhood days. I love these memories!
Thanks ladies,

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  7:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi naughty (but so very nice) ladies. I just took a nap and now will probably be up way too late. that's okay. We have lots of PBS shows taped (along with the news). Okay, I've done it again. I forgot to check back before I started writing and now I can't recall who my PBS sisters are. I should make myself a wall chart so I can get a memory boost before I get on a roll. I'll look back in a few and kick myself for the lapse. Yes! Keeping Up Appearances is one of our favorites. We've probably seen them all ... many twice. And let's not forget (those of us of a "certain age") about Jean Lionel and the girls in As Time Goes By.

Hurrah - the internet connection seems to be working pretty nicely in Oakhurst now. This laptop is finicky, though. I have no idea of why it does some of the things it does.

Mud Pies! I was the mud pie princess! I think there are even pictures to prove it. And my memories are vivid. I love hearing all your stories. Oh, that movie theatre story, Nancy ...that was great. The fellow who let your daughter eat his popcorn was probably puzzled and too polite to make a remark. Or, maybe the movie was just that good and he didn't notice! And, Debra, you have a perfectly delightful brother. How sweet is that ,,, a carp in the snobby neighbors' pool. No crime - no time.

Okay, said it before and will again. Please - no rats & no snakes and now - no spiders. I got a spider bite on my thigh last year that turned into a big red blotch - itchy & owwweee - and it didn't heal for three months. Think I'm allergic. I had a wood tic bury itself in my scalp when I was about 4. My hair was so thick that my mother didn't see it right away. then she couldn't get it out and took me to the doctor. She said I was so pale, standing there while the doctor tweezed the appendages out, that she almost fainted in sympathy.

Ah, yes ... "the screen door"! My father used to yell "Are you going to let the whole outside in?!!!" My mother, as I recall, never - ever raised her voice. I can't recall her yelling even once. But my dad ... he made up for it. She didn't have to.

It was a fun time, Debra. And, because we are who we are ... and we are together ... we can keep those little girls that played with paperdolls and made mud pies (and played with lincoln logs -me-) bubbling over with joyful activities and antics.

Gee, I can make buttonholes. Well, my sewing machine actually. Makes short work of them. I used to be afraid of the attachment - afraid I'd break the machine - until I (I hear applause here) read the instructions!

Betty, my kids' names are (oldest to youngest) Kim, Alan, Ginger, Eric. I won't go into the rest of the family names or you would be here for an hour just trying to keep up. (4 kids, 2 of them currently with spouses, 10 grandkids - 3 of them from blended family - 3 of the grandkids have spouses - and 4 great grandchildren - 2 from blended families with Nevaeh being the youngest.

DH is looking for dinner so I have to say goodnight. He was out weeding most of today and deserves a bit of pampering.

Let's keep cutting out paperdolls, coloring in our books - and outside the lines, climbing trees, making mudpies and slamming screendoors. Can you imagine the commotion if ever we are all in the same geographic location at the same time!

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  7:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Wow! what a day. We went into a severe thunderstorm warning for our desert area and ll we got was the thunder and lightening and wind that blew dust all over....not one drop of rain. That's why CA gets so many wildfires. Still haven't heard from my daughter but I understand the power is still out there and still getting rain.

Out scorpions give you a sting unless you are sensitive to them and then you get more than a sting. I got my first banty egg today. I've been expecting the girls to start laying so it wasn't too much of a surprise. It's almost as small as the quail eggs. It's white and the lavenders lay blue eggs but it may change if it wasn't the silkie that laid.

I finall got my grandaughters quilt bound as far as the machine part. I'll turn it tonight and handstitch the binding to the other side. I finally got to play with my embroidery machine. I downloaded the cd that has patterns and directions on how to do them. I did a test flower and it came out nice. If I don't have everything the way it's supposed to be then the machine flashes red and won't work. I only did a one color flower since I haven't bought embroidery thread for the machine yet but it came out quite well. I had to shut it and the computer down when we went into the thunderstorm warning so I didn't get to play anymore. I also need to buy some more stabilizer.

Darlys, I had 7 children, David, Steven, Rhonda, Kim, Mike, Andy and Laura. My two oldest boys have past away so I have 5 alive. Since I have over 20 grandchildren, not counting my husbands (he had four children) so we have 32 grandchildren and he has two great grands I can't keep up with all of thye names and if it wasn't for my computer reminding me I would forget all the birthdays.

I was a tomboy growing up and an only child. I'd rather play baseball and ride horses than play with dolls. My daughters were the same way. Well, time to do dishes. Good night all.....

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  7:58:26 PM  Show Profile
I wanted a brother to play with in the worst way! I would have done anything to keep up with him.
Debra we just finished an addition to our home and my pantry door is a screen door complete with a slam. My contractor thought I was nuts. I love the sound of a slamming screen door. Takes me right back to childhood. And yes, my mother said the exact same thing yours did!
I laughed out loud at your story Nancy. Had to stop and read it to my sweetie. He laughed too.
We had a quake when I was about 10 or so. Peggy Ann your story about the creek reminded me of that. I was all clean and dressed to go somewhere with my parents. I was told not to get dirty but that I could play outside. I carefully rolled up my shorts and started wading in the creek. All of a sudden the water started splashing around and the trees were swaying. I didn't have a clue what was happening. I just knew I'd be in so much trouble for getting wet. Thankfully the broken pictures and things that fell distracted my mother and no one ever noticed I was wet.
Penny I was lucky to raise two sons and loved every minute of it. I was unsure of what to do with a girl when my granddaughters were born. The oldest is truly a girl. Not a real girly girl but by no means a tomboy. The little one is tomboy through and through. It may be due to being raised by her daddy. (my son) She has lots of contact with both her grand mothers. I'm afraid I'm not a very good influence on her feminine charms. : ) But she will be a strong woman I have no doupt1
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  9:49:33 PM  Show Profile
OK Girls...The screen door was a problem at my house. My mother would YELL..."If you slam that door one more time you are going to open and
close it 100 times." And don't you know the next time in and out one of us would forget. Me, for an example...do you know how long it takes to open and shut the screen door 100 times quietly? It took so much time away from playing some fun out door game or playing with the neighborhood kids...that by the time I got to 99 I was so M.A.D. at Mother that I would slam the screen door on the 100th open and close...
and you're right...I had to start all over again. UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH, she was so mean!!!! By then it was hard not to slam the door every time...but I didn't want to push my luck and get grounded for the day! Mothers can be such Mothers!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  09:32:14 AM  Show Profile
I can remember yelling at my kids not to slam the screen door. When we bought this manufactured home and added a front porch the building inspector wouldn't let the builder attach the front porch to the house. He said it had to be free standing. I won't go into all the details on it but it left a beam across the opening to the front door so we couldn't add a screen door that was ready made. We got estimates for a special one and gave up when they ran in the $500-$700 bracket so we built our own country wooden screen door to fit the opening and added a three inch strip of wood over the door frame to close it up. Everyone comments on our old fashioned screen door and it only cost us $65 to build. By the way, it slams....lol
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  10:06:48 AM  Show Profile
Morning Ladies

Peggy Ann I had to giggle reading about your fun times dealing with your Mom and closing the screen door. And even more giggles about counting to 100. I am a good yeller!!!! Just ask my kids or neighbors-haha.

Betty that is interesting about the inspector. You should take a photo of your screen door to show us. It sounds beautiful :0 We also have a manufactured house.

It is going to be another hot day but hey...it's summer, right? Maybe no monsoons today? Who knows though...I was up early (6:30) waiting for McKenzie to arrive so I had my coffee while sitting out on a rocking chair on our front porch...way before the sun came up over the hills...got to watch the hummers feeding/fighting for food. Once the sun clears the hills it blasts the front porch until around 1pm-ugh. I keep asking for a bigger covered porch then what we have now. We also have three windows that are above the front three bigger windows that also face the same way so the sun blasts thru them too (even with window film)..we have mini blinds that help a lot.

McKenzie is doing her best not to take her morning nap. Grandpa is finally awake...but hey..he is a night owl. Not me-unless I am having one of those nights where I can't sleep.

Going to make some breakfast now-I'm hungry. Have a great day girls :)
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  1:00:19 PM  Show Profile
I think I have a photo of the screen door. I'll hunt it up and send later. What ticked me off about the inspctor was he said the porch had to be free standing due to our high winds and insisted on the posts being buried in the ground 3 feet with ce3ment around them but yet the dingdong allowed an aluminum awning to be attached to the roof out back and it was held by five cement screws. Go figure!

Saw another snake ladies. I think it was the big one I saw near the chicken pen, not the little one inside. The coloring and size was about right. It was slithering it's way into the front garden as I was watering so I turned the hose on it and it went the other way into the bushes. It was a bull snake and quite harmless.

I'd better get back to finishing the binding on the quilt.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  1:04:47 PM  Show Profile
Guess what we did this summer? We painted my mom's screened in patio...and hung her an old fashion
screen door. With a spring and everything. It now slams. I didn't want her to forget how to yell at us about slamming the screen door. The only thing different is the door really doesn't get much use. It is just mama and her kitties at the house. But we had a good chuckle about the use of the "Screen Door" when we were kids growing up.
Becky-I can sit on the front porch swing till about 1:30 then the sun will fry you.We have a big front porch. Hubby took down some trees 2 years ago not ever thinking that the sun would bake the house. We have a 2 story house and the upstairs is unbearble in the summer...but in the winter the 2nd story is toasty. You all have a great week and will touch base later on in the week.
Thanks for the stories of playtime this weekend. I had so much fun.

From Down on the farm in Ga

Debra e
Go to debra e forum to read about me (and see pictures)

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  4:04:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey...If anyone ever sees a coloring book of quilt squares....I want one. Patsy & I were talking about grown-up coloring books and I said that besides the Bible ones, I'd never seen any for grown-ups. Then I said, "Hey...a quilt one, with lots of small designs, would be lots of fun to color."
We have 72/sunny/breezy. We had a shower this morning that wasn't in the weather report. I called my Mom and told her that the stuff that wasn't suppose to be falling was coming in my North windows! I had to run and close them quick.She got a good laugh out of that. She lives 10 miles west of us, and she didn't get a drop! Figures!
Have a Good Sunday Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  6:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Today we have had alot of rain and wind. We live on a hill so it has not affected us in a negative way. We live just north of Montpelier. Many of the low lying areas have been flooded out and a lot of roads have water over them.
Our pond is formed with a dam and has an over flow channel and the extra water is flowing over it.
This morning a tree went down across our road. I cut it up with my chainsaw and brought it up to burn next winter. Later I heard trees snapping in the woods. I will check that out another day.
We have a local radio station that is local not a national syndicate that is broadcasting the road closings and evacuation sites. It will stay open all night as it has in the past to keep people safe.
There is a lot of flooding in the low lying towns especially along the Winooski River and the Dog River which feeds into the Winooski. Probably other rivers as well but those are the rivers in our area.
Our son lives in a trailer with his mentor and their trailer is flooded. They are staying with her sister tonight and will evaluate the situation tomorrow.
If this were snow we could just move it to the side and get on with life.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  9:39:21 PM  Show Profile
We had beautiful weather today. 80's and low humidity. I spent the day washing down the front porch, walls and all and then repainted the floor and stairs. My sweetie worked on it with me. Amazing what a good cleaning and some paint can do. I am lucky enough to have a huge Beech tree right in front of the porch. It is shaded most all day. One end gets the evening sun for a little while. The house is on a hillside so it feels like you are in the tree up on the porch. There is a constant breeze most of the time. Great for summer but a bit chilly come fall! Our screen porch is on the SE side of the house so it gets AM sun after it rises above the trees. It will be perfect for fall and winter sittin. That is if I ever get it clear of totes, odd bits of furniture that hasn't found a place in the house yet and Lilli's outdoor toys. Patience Connie, patience. It will all be done someday. (Yeah right) LOL
I just watched the news. I am so releived the storm was not as bad as first feared but feel terrible for the trouble it has caused for so many. Sending prayers and good wishes to those folks. Be careful when you do venture out!
We haven't had much rain at all this month and things are getting kinda crispy.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:09:46 AM  Show Profile
I have had a Migraine and upset stomach all day. Probably from slamming that screen door too many times. LOL
No, we had a mild weather system go through and the barometric change nails me everytime.

Betty... would love to see that $65.00 Screen Door you guys made. Necessity is truly the Mother of Invention.

Debra...did you slam Mama's Screen door a couple of times for Old Time Sake...after you hung it for her? LOL

Holly...you go girl with your chain saw! You might get even more firewood for winter by the time the trees are
finished falling...with all the soggy ground.

Judy...I will keep my eye's peeled for a Quilt Coloring Book for you. Who was it that said that Amazon had a lot
of Adult Coloring Books? You might check on there.

Connie...that is neat that you have a Beech Tree right off your porch to keep a cool breeze going in warm summer weather. Awe...sounds so blissful and relaxing.

My day was spend mostly in bed with my head throbbing. But made it up to fix dinner and watch a bit of the 9/11 Memorial
that is on all this coming week on the National Geographic Channel. It was very good tonight. Will enjoy watching that
this week. I feel like America has already forgotten how that adversity united us as a Nation for well over a year or two.
And we have forgotten the many miracles and how God intervened in so many ways...and how people healed by just being able
to share their personal story and have someone listen. It was the best of times and it was the worst of times...

blessings,
peg

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 29 2011 12:12:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  05:18:28 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn, I hope you are feeling better today. I am sorry you are not well. Migraines are so awful to deal with. I do want to thank you for telling us about Amazon where we might find quilt coloring books. I would like to have one for myself. I love to color and miss doing that with the kids.

I went to the beach to see the huge waves we had as Irene passed by near the coast. There was no swimming allowed in the ocean and the lifeguards were keeping a very close watch. We usually have such small waves here that to see the bigs ones was unusual. It has been very hot though in the high 90's. But it is summer so that is no surprise here in FL.

Two youngest granddaughters settled into college this week. Kari, my middle granddaughter is renting an apartment with 4 other girls. Quite an independent girl, she is. The girls all have their beds and dressers. The shopped for the kitchen things and their parents gave them some linens,kitchen items. One of the girl's parents gave them a sofa to use. Kari, has save up all her money from working all summer at 2 jobs so she can do this and I am so proud of her. My daughter is paying the same money that she would have paid if Kari would be living in the dorms so it is working out okay.

Holly, go girl with that saw. Seems like there is all kinds of weather going on. Wow!

I would love to have a wooden screen door again just to slam it a few times every day so I could hear my husband yell about slamming it. Then I could yell at him for slamming it and we could have a good laugh. His mom used to yell at him and his brothers and sisters for slamming it. I didn't laugh then when my mother got mad and yelled. But now I think how funny my mother was and some of the things she did when she was mad were really funny. She never hit us but she used to take a broom and hit the bed with it to scare us. I did't want to get my mom mad because then we couldn't have fun and she was a lot of fun to be with.

Going to take the Snuggles for her walk and then off to do shopping. Have a good day,ladies.

Hugs,
Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #2301
Live everyday to the fullest

Go to Top of Page

ellimae
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

eileen
edison nj
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  07:34:14 AM  Show Profile
made it through hurricane Irene here in new jersey. can't keep this farmgirl down you should have seen all the people scrambling around the store all i wanted was a gallon of milk all the shelves were bare it was crazy. I heard one lady muttering about how would she function without electricity, poor soul.I wanted to tell her it wouldnt be that bad but she walked away to buy toliet paper, now how she gonna flush? silly people god bless em'

Do as the farmgals do!
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  10:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Wow Betty, that's a big family...I would also like to see a pic of that screen door.

Connie, I loved raising my two boys too...growing up as a tomboy made it so much easier I think. My sister has 2 daughter and a son and I get them for a week every summer so I get my girl fix...lol

PeggyA, you make me laugh so much... about the screen door...I am so sorry you are feeling well, but understand the barometic pressure change, gets me everytime too..

Debra, sounds like you have had a busy summer.

Judy, it's like that around here too...we get rain on one part of the farm and the other gets none..funny thing how that happens..

Holly, you go girl...when my little sister was 16 she ask her Dad for a chainsaw for her birthday...tomboy runs in our family I guess. Sorry to hear about your Son, hope they can salvage somethings.

Nancy, that is funny about the screen door and your DH...

Eileen, glad you are safe...some people would have a hard time surviving without electricity...they really need to prepare never know what the future holds.

Well today is sheet changing day, I look so forward to it since I got my clothes line put up...silly I guess but it gives me so much joy to hang out clothes and watch them blowing in the wind.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  10:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi all!!

Glad to hear from you Eileen...and that you are doing okay after Irene. We watched it on the news.

No real plans for today. Not babysitting McKenzie for a couple of days so maybe I will get back on track with throwing things out,etc...finishing with the inside of our house. I bought some beautiful fabric (months ago) that I will make curtains for the kitchen, dining room and family room windows. It won't be that hard-just time consuming. Also want to paint some rooms with color too! Right now the inside of the house has a base coat of an antique white. We have been very lazy...we bought this place 3 years ago...and it was a huge fixer upper. We took a break once the house was basically remodeled/livable.

I told my husband to start building his model train layout in his man cave...he was getting really tired of working on the house. Of course he ran with that and it's almost done now!!! McKenzie just loves looking at the trains and everything else. Dan wants to build a garden train layout too. That will be interesting to build outside. We have crazy windy weather at times so that will make it difficult for him but he'll get it done.

It's going to be "97" today.....argh...can't wait for fall to come!!
Go to Top of Page

ellimae
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

eileen
edison nj
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  11:44:26 AM  Show Profile
Becca I have a man cave too,how funny! I have 3 men in the house so it works to my advantage.My living room stays neat and they have their space to do whatever men do in a man cave i never ask.Lol

Do as the farmgals do!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Becky & Eileen...my husband thinks man-caves are dumb...but little does he know that he sits in one every night watching TV and working
on his computer. Ha Ha! It is the only room in the house where I let him be as messy as he wants...because I can just shut the door on
it and pretend it isn't really there. LOL It's a Man Cave...because no woman would want to be in it...trust me!

Penny...the Screen door slamming seems "funny" now...but when I was a kid...it really made me mad! Probably wouldn't have bothered me
so much if my mom hadn't been overly strict in all areas of our lives. She was a harsh task-master and a force to be reckened with.
They could name a hurricane or tornado after her and it would be very fitting. Ha Ha! Hurricane Annie!

Well girls, I have my Crock Pot full of Fresh from my garden green beans with red potatoes, carmelized onions and hamhocks. And I am fixen
to make some cornbread to go along with that. Anybody want to come over for dinner? lol I am going to enjoy the fruits of my labor tonight.

Chat with you all later...I have to go run to the store for some items for a couple swaps I am on.

Hugs and Smiles,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  1:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Peggy. Deer Park has grown since you may have seen it. New highschool, new elementary across the road from the HS.You asked about Terry Walker. I met him it seems ages ago. He was one of the pastors of the Church of Christ across 395. He is not the pastor now, & I'm not sure whether they still are around DP or not. For so many years, I worked in Spokane, & attended school functions & that was about it. I worked at the local hospital, purchased by Providence about 1990??, but it closed in 2008. I call my church home, the Vine, but feel comfortable most churches in the area. For many years I attended Life Center in Spokane, but commuting back & forth got to be a bit much.

It is still in the 90's here. I am looking forward to some 70's weather later on this week. The fire danger is great, since we have been without rain for so long. There is a good size fire down around Pullman/Moscow (MaryJane's) neck of the woods sparked by lightening this morning. There are slight winds, so hopefully it will not spread past the acreage it has already burned. Well...the east cost is cleaning up and hopefully everyone has their homes and power intact. All you ladies take care.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  1:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Judy and Patsy, I went to Amazon and they have a quilt coloring book, not to expensive...if it wasn't for the shipping I would have gotten one. Next time I order from amazon I will stick one on there maybe...and I found a great website that has pages you can print out to color of quilts too.

http://www.makinglearningfun.com/themepages/QuiltdesignColoringPages.htm

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  4:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Claudia...I have known all of the Walkers for years. Terry's dad preached at the Church of Christ in Spokane and that
is where I went when I first came to the Lord. For the first 12 years of my Christian walk. Didn't know if Terry and Barb
were still in the area or not. I knew he wasn't preaching there any more. I know the young man who is currently preaching
at the Church of Christ there in Deer Park now. Watched him grow up through his Jr. High and High School Years. We left
the Church of Christ about 8 years ago and now go to Living Hope a Mega Church here in our area. It is much like Life Center
in Spokane but non-denominational. I have attended Life Center when visiting Spokane with my Step-daughter, that is where she
attends. That would be a long drive for you though. ~ I am sure that
Deer Park has changed alot since I was last there...about 30 years ago now. LOL How time flies.

Penny...good to know that Amazon has quilting coloring books. That maybe as near to quilting as I'll ever get. LOL Thanks for
checking it out.

blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 29 2011 4:23:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  4:44:32 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you ladies... love the sound of a screen door. We have two front doors on our house (old, 125+ year old house), and I insisted one of the doors must have a "slammin screen door"! If that wasn't enough, I also had two of them put on my pantry and two of
them put on my laundry closet! Put curtains on behind the screens so it hides everything (modern conveniences) behind it. Love them!

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page