forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  09:20:46 AM  Show Profile
OK, Patty. I know I looked at your produce pic the other day and thought it looked great! However, did a couple of those "hot tomatoes" just sit up and show their faces?

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  09:55:07 AM  Show Profile
Hey Judith from Nora Springs - Hello from Thompson, Iowa. Want to meet in Mason City sometime? I'm buying lunch!

Edited by - Thelma on Aug 28 2012 10:04:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  10:03:00 AM  Show Profile
Since Patty is busy building up her coffee business I guess we will have to name her new puppy for her. Since he is black I vote for JAVA. Jump on and help her out. What are friends for giggle
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  10:06:45 AM  Show Profile
posted twice oops

Edited by - Thelma on Aug 28 2012 11:20:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  10:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Think Patty is too busy to let everyone know that the pup's name is .... Remington! She gave me a call a week or so ago, taking a break from all that canning. And there were Remington stories already. (But, Thelma, I sure do like the name Java.) Since it appears the coffee truck is up and ready to roll - we may not hear from her often. But, Patty. Please stick around. We need you.

It's a lovely day - not going to leave the 70s today. I am a bit bummed though. My Bernina 820 should NOT have problems. But my grandson says - if it doesn't break often - it doesn't have enough features yet. Now, it jammed up and after I got all the visible threads out - I can't get the *^&%*# bobbin out. (Enough with the features already!) I do not abuse my machine! Anyway I called and I have to bring it to the shop. I've done all I can. This is not a lightweight machine! I'm about ready to bring my little BabyLock back from Oakhurst so the Bernina has a sidekick. My old Designer II Viking never seems to go down.

I am off to start my day ... hope all is well. More prayers for Kathy. And happy birthday to her Jenny.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  11:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Remington - thants a goreat name for a big black dog!
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  6:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, hope you get your machine fixed fast before you have withdrawls. You know it would not happen if you had a spare there with you!! LOL!!!
I finally caught up with my laundry today, made zucchini bread, and beef stew for supper with my fresh veggies from the garden. It was so good, made it in the slow cooker. Feels good to cook again. I make most things from scratch.
Everyone is so busy this time of the year with gardens, harvesting and getting ready for the winter with their animals. Be sure to take some time out for yourself if possible.
Prayers for any that are in the line of Isaac. Looks like it will hit hard tonight sometime. Be careful if you did not evacuate.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  12:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Latest report I've read says Isaac may be losing his energy. That would be good news!

Got some new reading glasses picked out yesterday! DH got some bifocals chosen. Can't wait for them to be done! I got busy cooking and got three pans of lasagna put into the freezer. Also a few dozen bran muffins and some corn bread. Feels good to be able to have the oven on for a bit when the day is cool.

While the horses got their pedicures from the farrier, I got the garden picked and watered. The tomatoes are coming in. Perfect timing! Time to start cooking them down into sauce. The squash crop has been a disappointment. Better luck next year.

Hope to hear from Kathy that Jenny has had a nice birthday. I sure miss her daily posts. Praying the pain has subsided and the complications have settled down. I know watching her garden wither is painful.

Today I must get something sweet baked for dh's sweet tooth. Looks like it is gonna be oatmeal raisin.

Hope everyone is safe and well.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  06:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Marianne - Did you get your glasses at your eye care provider or did you go to a discount place? Monday Dar and I had our eyes checked. He needed new perscription but kept his frames. I had to get new frames with my perscription. By the time we left his office we had spent well over a $1,300 and that didn't include the exams. Next time I am going to shop around a little. I just don't want to do something that will cause eye damage. When you live in rural America you are not given much choice unless you head for the big cities.

I got another basket of tomatoes to put up today. I make sort of a hot salsa and then use it in chili, meatloaf, whatever needs a little kick in the winter months. I have been experminting with roasted tomatoes,but so far I am not happy with the way they turn out. Also the evoo adds quite a few calories to those fat free red globes of juicy enticement. My squash crop is not up to par this year either. We have had a few meals with acron squash, but I only have 3 pumpkins (Usually have 40 plus) and my spaghetti squash are preyy nasty tasting.

Ok chickie poos. Have a great Labor Day holiday. I will be out of town tending to the grands so the Mommies and Daddies can play. I'll jump on again next week. Taa taa ya all. until meet chat again -----------------
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  06:27:25 AM  Show Profile
another Iowa photo - Queen Anne's Lace is a native wild flower

Edited by - Thelma on Aug 29 2012 06:28:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

CheesemakerBeth
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Beth
PALESTINE Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  07:09:56 AM  Show Profile
Good morning girl friends, There is a hint of autumn in the morning air in East Texas today! (Even though they are calling for a high of 95...still that's a lot better than 105!) I had a great moment of peace as I milked, watered the raised beds, and picked what little veggies are still producing. Making mozarella right now, and as soon as my DH finishes tilling we are going to plant field peas for the fall garden. Some squash, cukes and a few tomatoes are all starting to grow in the fall garden. I'm praying for those in Isaac's path, too, and praying he comes this way and we get some rain out of him. Have blessed day!
Beth
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  4:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Kathy hope you are feeling better and that things are going better for you. Hope, too, that Jenny has a fantastic birthday.

Darlys, oh you poor sweetie! That machine has no business causing you problems. What nerve! I have a Babylock and wish I had a Berina. My Phaff and old, old Viking don't seem to have any problems although they have no special features on them.

We are just getting the very edge of the hurricane so we have had rain for the last 2 days. My DH worked the whole day yesterday out in the back garden even in the rain. He says the light rain helped with the humidity. He replanted several plants.

I am in the midst of writing down lots of funny things that happened to me when I was a little girl. I am making a little book for my granddaughters so they will have these stories. My mother only told me some stories of when she was a girl and I wish she had written them down because I am sure there were so many she didn't get to tell me. I am really enjoying remembering the stories as some are very funny.

I made a good chicken soup today with kale, carrots, celery and onions. We had that with some left over mashed potatoes.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  5:10:44 PM  Show Profile
It was a picture perfect day out today, sunny and in the 70s with low humidity, even though it was a bit breezy, it felt good. Supposed to be nice until Monday, of course, it is a holiday. We generally get rain on Memorial Day and Labor Day.
Marianne, sounds like you are having nice weather also. So good to be cooler,heh?
Thelma, Have a great time with the grand kids. I am sure you will get your exercise.
Nancy, I love all kinds of soup, any time of the year, but Bob only likes it in cold weather. I could eat soup every day. I bet remembering the stories from your childhood brings many good memories. I am sure your grand daughters will enjoy them also.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  5:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Sending prayers to any MJF in the path of the hurricane....

Been so busy but just wanted to jump on and leave this quick message..

Oh and thank you Darlys very much for the sweet card....love you too girl and miss chatting with you...hope all is well...I need to take sometime tomorrow(day off) to catch up with my reading on here.

New position at work is really hectic...trying to learn everything...and have to work very fast...and today, none of the scan guns worked so didn't get at least a third of the things I have to do with it done...I'm behind, soooo behind...oh well not my fault...oh well...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  6:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Everyone has been pretty quiet today. Getting ready for the holiday weekend? We are not doing much here. I think I will smoke a turkey in the smoker, maybe Sunday. Sounds good.
I have been wanting to work out in the flower gardens and get seeds for next year, but it has been so windy out, the seeds would just blow away. Almost like a hurricane out today, but it is warm, but also humid.
Back to work tomorrow, but only one day this time, still recouping from last week.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  8:35:37 PM  Show Profile
How is everyone??

Penny, it is nice to hear from you. Wish you had more time to visit us. So glad your job is so great.

Janet, your smoked turkey sounds pretty good! Enjoy. Hope you have nice weather. It is nice to have it cooler, I agree.

Nancy, My MIL is doing a book like that for our kids. She has been working on it for years actually. It is so good to have those important stories saved.

Thelma, I got my glasses at Costco. We know one of the dispensers there so we get a bit more service than is "normal" for the typical Costco shopper. My single vision, "designer" frames (Anne Klein), polycarbonate lenses with UV protection and antiglare coating for $197. DH were bifocals with lines, transition lenses, antiglare coating, UV protection for $249.

Picked blackberries today. And made freezer jam this evening. It was very yummy.

Yesterday I made some pasta sauce. Only one quart actually made it into the freezer. All the rest was eaten up!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  07:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs...what a wonderful day in the Ozarks...we have breezy, tropical rains from Issac!!! I lived in Florida for 14 years and I never thought I would welcome a hurricane, but today, tomorrow, and Sunday it is very welcome. I feel so badly for all of the people in southern Lousianna with their devastation but this rain is such a blessing here. My DH and I spent all day Wednesday sowing grass seed, wheat, and turnips...now we welcome thie rain, with saddened hearts for our neighbors down south.

Penny, so nice to hear from you...we know, big responsibilities at work can be very stressful...congratulations on your latest promotion! Farmgirls know how to get things done!

Janet, smoked turkey sounds soooo good and just reading about your cooler temps makes me cool off!!!!

Daryls. I, too, have been dealing with an out of sorts sewing machine....soooo aggregating....

Marianne, I love blackberrie jam...I used to pick blackberries every year...they grow wild here...but the last two years that I picked I got so loaded with chiggers I gave it up. That is why I planted tame ones in my orchard! Now I am waiting on them to grow big and healthy and produce luscious berries!

Thelma, have a great week-end with your grandchildren....I sure do love my grand kids, I just don't get to see them near enough!

Guess I will get off here...when I do I will think of something else I wanted to share...hehehe...

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  11:21:31 AM  Show Profile
Ok so Marianne called out the posse on me. I'm here. I check in almost every day. Just don't have much to say. Took one of my kittie to the vet, she has the sniffles and I was finally a le to come up with enough money to take her in. Hopefully the medicine will kick in soon.

My bakes in my truck went out so mom loaned me the money to get that done. I did get a little side job sewing the binding on this ladies quilt that her mother never finished. But of course the trip to the vet took care of that. I always seem to get just enough cash to take care of stuff, but not enough to save up. I'm sewing two baby quilts for a women's rescue home in Detroit. Then I'm trying to teach myself to sew stuff from old tshirts. It is very trendy now and a shop downtown said she would sell them for me. School starts on the 24 of September. I just ordered my books. I rent them instead of buying them. I save hundreds by renting instead of buying.
I had interviews for a video the college wants to do for their foundation and I had another for my scholarship. It is for the whole year so it would really help. I wont have to worry about getting a part time job that way.

So Marianne, no need to worry. I'm here. Healthy...pretty much.

I am closing down my online fabric store on September 21. So if there is anyone that wants fabric, now is the time. I'm going to move it all over to a different site on etsy. But with school coming up it will be a while. I'm also not going to sell it as yardage. I'm thinking about packaging it up in sets of fat quarters, charm squares and strips. Maybe I'll get more sales that way.

Later all...

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  2:25:18 PM  Show Profile
My Oh My do I need to catch up! I have been really busy with school starting. I have been given another hat to wear. Like I really need another job! I am now the Homeless Liaison for the High school where I work. When I went through the paperwork I thought maybe 3 or 5 students. More like 20+ students. and families. This is not that big of a school, 480 students. How can ther be that many. I know economic times are hard but now I know how hard they really are.

Ok now on to other things.

Penny congrats on the promotion. I know working and droping by here can be hard. It has been over a week for me. Drop by when you can we love to hear from you.

Holly i hope everyone is well by the time you read this post.

Thelma what a beautiful picture of the sunrise. Thank you for sharing.

Glenda I am sorry your brother is not cooperating. Just like a man. They feel a little better and then think they can do any thing they want. Praying for all of you.

Well I am caught up through page 336 LOL. I will try to get back soon. Hope all of you have a wonderful weekend.

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  6:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am finally caught up reading. I read a couple of nights ago but sometimes it is just too late to make a decent response.

The guineas are growing well. They can fly more than 30 feet in a launch. The family runs around the yard together looking like a school of fish. sometimes one will lag behind and Mr Guinea gets after it to join the group. They are very funny to watch.

Two days ago the wind was blowing the trees so the whole tree moved. The high cumulus clouds were moving west to east as they should. the lower cumulus clouds were moving north to south as they should not. Sometimes when we are having a nasty storm the clouds will move south to north and then turn around and come back again. Same weather twice.

Tonight is the Blue Moon and what does our sky look like. Clouds, clouds, clouds. When the Perseid meteor showers were at the beginning of the month we had clouds each day as well. Why when we are able to see something awesome in the night sky is it cloudy? Just a little whine.

I am glad to here that southern Missouri is getting rain. I was hoping that Isaac would green up the pastures and restore the water table. I fear it is too late for the grain crops of the midwest.

Nancy I am glad you are weathering the storm without difficulty. the pictures of the storm on the computer shows lots of bright colored weather in your area.

I have an old sewing machine my mother bought when I was in high school. It is something called Felco. it has a place for discs to make little embroideries but the discs are gone. it is having a problem with going unless you give it a gently push start on the wheel then it zips along.

Dianne it hardly seems like you had any time off this summer. That is a high percentage of homeless students for such a small school. Around here here the numbers are hidden because people will bunk in with relatives. Never the less there are many children living at risk.

Coco refused to come into the barn last night so the members of my family who were supposed to be getting her in did not fulfill their job. So, her wonderful daughter drank all of the milk that I would have taken. At least it did not go to waste. I did see her 20 month old son who is soon to be steak trying to nurse the other day. I thought she had weaned him but he thought he would sneak a drink. lol He is almost as big as she is.

Talie is playing Fall baseball. Their first game was last Sunday. They won 17 to 7. This next Sunday the game is 1 hour 45 minutes north. It is actually two games and so they will be gone all day. Monday is his fifteenth birthday. He is very excited.

I liked the sunrise picture several pages back. The beauty made being up so early worth it.

We will put our pigs in the freezer at the end of October. The pig breeders are selling their piglets now for the winter season. We raised winter pigs once and it was hardly worth the effort and then cleaning the knee deep sludge out of the barn stall. Patty are your winter's mild enough that they can stay outside and grow to a decent size. If your town is restrictive on poultry what do they think of piggies. How is your sister and her family doing? Do they have a house yet?

I found a cook book called zucchini and carrots. We have quite a few zucchini. lol Jan glad you found a good use for yours.

Marianne I am always glad to read about your gardens, horses and dogs and of course you.

Penny do your best but do not let them take advantage of your good nature.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  9:26:15 PM  Show Profile
Holly, It was a nice treat to get a long newsy report from you. Fifteen is a pretty important birthday for a young man. I hope he has two more wins at baseball to help his birthday celebration. How is Kethry's decorating going - did she get the second curtain done? I am a bit jealous that you have a lot of zucchini. I am the equivalent of a gardener's laughingstock. Who else do you know plants about a dozen asst. squash plants and gets absolutely NO zucchini. I have crookneck and pattypans, even yellow straight neck squash. But not a single green italian zucchini. And I am the daughter of a 100% Italian farmer. I am a disgrace!

Dianne, it sure is an eye-opener to know those statistics for your hometown. Very sobering. What sort of support does the school district give these children?

Bunny, I am one of those weird people who "gets feelings." And I have a feeling that your luck is about to change. Don't know why I am telling you this, just had an urge to say this. I think you have all your ducks in a row,but things haven't exactly shaken loose for you in the recent past, but that seems like it is going to change. I sure hope I am right. You are doing a great job of searching out opportunities, so that should be rewarded. How is kitty?

Dh and I made another batch of blackberry jam tonight. It really is delicious. We had a few extra so our mare enjoyed them. She had the reddest "lips" just like when she had the raspberries. Yellow horse - "Sunny" is certain we are plotting to kill him and wouldn't try the blackberries.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend. Good bye Summer!

Oh, Holly, I took an extra long gaze at the blue moon for you. It is beautiful. I guess we won't have another blue moon until 2015.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  04:50:07 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

Bunny I didn't know that college books could be rented. What a good idea to save the students money. The cost of those books is outrageous and when I used to sell mine back I got hardly anything for them.
I am going over to your site to buy some of your fabric. My stash gets bigger everyday but I still want to get some of your pretty fabrics.

Marianne my mouth is "tasting" that blackberry jam. When I have it I put it in with yogurt as well as on my bread and toast. I missed seeing the blue moon, too. I am glad it was as pretty as you say.

Holly so good to hear from you. I am like you I read the posts everyday but I don't really have too much going on right now. I am mostly catching up on sewing and doing errands around the house. Mr. Vacuum cleaner has been sitting in the closet for a week or so and I guess I will do some vacuuming today. Also have to color my hair to get rid of the many, many grays.

Hugs and prayers,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  08:49:04 AM  Show Profile
Morning sisters. I'm still here, just a lot slower.

I was back in hospital with massive blood clot in my right leg. Needless to say, this August will stand out as my worst August EVER!!!

I want to thank you all for all your prayers and all the get well cards and wishes.

I'm trying to dig up a wheel chair for temp use.

Holly - thanks for the book. As soon as I finish reading it I will sign the last page & send it back so you can read it, sign it & send it on to next sister. Maybe we could use it to start a book round robin. By the way, it is a good read.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  09:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, if you want larger amounts than 1\2 yard cuts just order more than one and it will come in one piece.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  7:05:13 PM  Show Profile
It has been quiet on here today, I am sure you are all having a good weekend so far. Hopefully not too busy. It was a beautiful day today, got up to 44 degrees, but warmed up to 80 with just a little breeze, so got to sit outside some today. I watered my gardens, we only got 1/4 inch of rain the whole month of August. Bob and I took a long walk at the beach this afternoon. We walked all along the shore and back up the other side. It was a little rough on the artificial hips, but it did feel good to get a workout. It is supposed to be nice out tomorrow, I am hoping it is like today.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page