prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2012 :  05:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies!
I , too, am hit and miss! Even if I don't always post, I love to take a quick look to see how everyone is doing!

Since school started I takemy gdaughter to pre-k so it's been a bit crazy and hectic juggling the one car between my daughter and I!!
Just trying to get back into a routine that somewhat works with this aching body of mine, lol !

What is everyone going to be up to today?
I have a kitchen to clean and then maybe make some homemade Naan. We use it to make some yummy and healthier type pizzas!
Gosh ladies, is anyone else ready for fall?? I am so very ready for some cool fall air and lovely colors!!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2012 :  8:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies. I am enjoying my weekend. Hubby is in Atlanta for the Nascar races with my father. So my mother and I are enjoying the peace and quiet. No loud television, no dishes and clothes to pick up after anyone. The kitchen stays clean. I love my husband dearly and don't know what I would do without him, but I have to admit I sometimes wonder what I was ever thinking when I remarried. I suppose I can't have it all. But single life after my deceased husband passed away was not so bad.
Tomorrow, our coffee truck will go out for the first time. I am taking it to "Family Renaissance" and serving as a practice run. No money to be made, but I have 4 cousins that have planned a family reunion type of event on my great Aunt's farm that will be sort of a revival ,a prayer and praise gathering. They will have worship, music, lunch, games and fellowship. We then are planning an open house type thing with free product so we can get some feedback. I am pretty excited about it. We are still waiting for the health department ok.

Janet- That sounds like a wonderful day. I am sure the walk was good for the hips. Smoked turkey sounds wonderful. I have never tried to smoke anything. :( Maybe one of these I will try.

Kathy- Wow, I am going to have to read back through August. I didn't kow you were having problems. You are on my prayer list, friend. When hubby meeded a wheelchair we borrowed one from the Masonic Lodge and our local VFW and Moose lodge had medical equipment to borrow.

Nancy- I never thought to put jam in my yogurt! What a wonderful idea. I was just telling my mom that I share jam with the kids but when you get 7 pints out of a batch and make a couple of batches, that is alot of jam. We don't eat a jar of jam a month. And of course I make blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, plum, apple, grape, and elderberry. If I only made one batch of each, that adds up to about 48 jars of jam...lol. I gift a lot of jam. :)

Marianne- We didn't get many zucchini as the weather was so dry. I make zucchini bread at least once a week. I make it in the small pans and get 5 loaves to a batch. When our oldest son comes he always wants to take a batch back with him. He comes to visit every couple of weeks. It makes a wonderful road trip snack. Hubby wanted 5 loaves to take with him this weekend on his trip to Atlanta. I always take a few loaves to a few elderly friends. I will probably have to buy more zucchini from the farmer's market.

Dianne- That does seem like a high number of homeless children for a small school. But there is a high percentage of people losing their homes. It is a sad situation.

Holly- I miss reading about your busy life! I thought of you yesterday. My mother and I took some pigeons and guinea to the farmer's auction yesterday. The pigeons sold for $1 each and the guinea sold for $3 each. The guinea are about 1/2 grown. They have all there speckled feathers now. At least that is less feed required now. I have the pig out at my mothers. We go out there every day to take care of him. We only got one. The fellow had all sizes. This one was about 40 lbs for $50 and the only 40 lb one he had. The rest were only about 15 lbs. We castrated him the next day and I wormed him yesterday, so he should start putting on some weight.

Bunny- I have added you to my prayer list. There is power in prayer and you can get through this school year without the worry of extra financial stress.

Thelma- Java would have been a wonderful name! It didn't take him long to respond to "Remington". He is a wonderful dog, but can be a pain as well...lol. I think I will look into obedience school for him.

Darlys- I feel your pain girlfriend. My serger always seems to fail me and I use it alot! I had a Pfaff sewing maching for 32 years and it was only in the shop 3 times (after the first 17 years). I used it almost daily. But parts were an issue after 32 years. I replaced it with a Babylock and I love it. However, she has been in the shop once, about 3 days after her warrenty went out. :(

Beth- I wasn't actively posting to join in with the welcome wagon when you jump on board. But I hope you are enjoying this awesome board. The gals here are great, aren't they! I am so jealous of you. I used to milk a cow and I too, made mozarella cheese. I miss those days.

Marylyn- We too need the rain. I prayer for those who were in the midst of the hurricane and feel somewhat guilty for wanting the rain so badly.

Penny- I am so glad you love your job! And OMGosh, all the promotions! ou go girl! It has so taken you out of your depressed mood and you are now such a happy person! And it just seems to get better and better!

Linda- I never had heard of Naan. I had to google it...lol. Do you fry it and then top it for pizza or do you bake it with your toppings? I love to cook and bake so always interested in anything new to me.

Ok, I wrote this post this morning and forgot to hit "submit reply". Can you imagine, I came home this evening and it is still up on my computer...lucky me that I did not have to retype it all.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  4:11:59 PM  Show Profile
MariAnne - Thank you for your zucchini confession. I too have planted zucchini for many years and have never gotten it to grow while my neighbors are swimming in it and every event i attend someone serves a baked product or main dish with zucchini as the main ingredient. I also have another confession. When my boys were still home and in 4H we always showed rabbits at the county fair, BUT we were never able to breed any. WEIRD right?

On my way out the door for a garden club meeting. More later.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  5:04:05 PM  Show Profile
Hope you all had a goodweekend. We finally got rain yesterday!!! 1 1/2 inches. The most in over 2 months. Today was 69 for the high, feels like an autumn day. I did get my turkey smoked most of the way before it started to rain, then I put it in the oven to finish cooking. It was so good. I love turkey smoked that way. The gravy is so good. We had leftovers tonight for supper.
Hubby was home from work today, so did not get much done, but did manage to do a load of laundry.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  03:50:03 AM  Show Profile
Janet, I was so glad to hear your good news about the rain. We are enjoying our first taste of fall also. It is welcomed , as usual. Love the fall!

Hope everyone is OK and has just had a very busy holiday weekend.

Kathy, hope you are checking in every once in a while. I hope you don't have anymore trips to the hospital with complications. You have had enough. You are in my prayers. Please try to keep your spirits up.

Dd and boyfriend were here for the long weekend. It was a great visit. Dd and I shopped for work wardrobe for her. It was great fun. She has been waiting so long to do this. Her job is going great. Thanks again for everyone's prayers, well wishes and patience with my constant whining.

Dh left yesterday. AFter an unheard of eight weeks at home. (THe company was over budget on travel.) He is in Chicago, but home soon. We had such a busy summer with guests that it is OK to be here for a bit by myself. Watched some junk tv last night and I have my sewing spread out EVERYwhere.

Yesterday was the first day of school here. So fun to see the kiddies getting ready and remember the nervous butterflies of those days. Glad to be just watching at this point.

Well, summer's over. Bring on Fall.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

LNaturals
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Laurie
Fridley Minnesota
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  05:45:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!
Gosh I have been so busy but I have gotten on here to catch up, but not posted anything. Not able to address everyone individually right now but know that my thoughts are with all! I got my tomatoes & jelly put up. Yeah! My zucchini did pretty good this year. At first I thought it would only flower, but finally took off. I even have a few pumpkins. I didn't plant very many. I've been doing alot of sewing, trying to get some of my projects finished before fall comes. Our Glamping Weekend is in 2 weeks, I am so looking forward to it. Time away from work & a needed break from things. The cooler weather is going to be wonderful!
Well gatta run,

Laurie Jean #4200

"I can't clean because... I get distracted by all the cool stuff I find"
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  05:49:48 AM  Show Profile
hello gals! just stopping by to say hello and let you all know that i am still here. hope everyone had a good holiday weekend and is doing good. prayers for all of you and i need some too. my mom is now telling me (when i ask her how she is) that she is barely living and my dog Sally is sick again. i haven't finished paying off the last time she was sick. i made a mistake and gave her a "treat" instead of keeping her strictly on her diet and she is the one paying for it now. i feel so bad about it...sigh.
well, got to go back to work
hugs gfs!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  2:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies! A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SENT ME CARDS FOR MY 58TH B-DAY!!!!! And Holly, I LOVE the book, thank you so much. I actually cryed when I received them all because they were the only ones I got! To think people I have never met took the time to send me cards, well, you just don't know how touched I am by that. Thank you so much!

I'm sorry I have been missing for months and will try and come back on regularly. My life has just sucked for the last year or so and doesn't seem to be getting better. I tend to go inward and since spring showed up, my "inward" was my earth therapy. Right now the site won't let me upload my pics but as soon as I can, I'll show you my summer therapy!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  2:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone
I survived the weekend. LOL
We moved the chicken coop, fence and chikens to my oldest dd's house. I still have the ducks. That was Saturday. Sunday after Church I got a call from youngest DD. They had a ton and a half of hay to get. So DH and I went to help. Turned out to be more like 3 ton!! and not the nice 60-65 pound bales. No these were 75-80 pound bales. OHHH my aching back. Monday DD fixed the lights on an old horse trailer we were given. Then back to my oldest DD's house to build fence. The goat keeps escapeing.
I think I am glad to be back at work. LOL

Now to catch up. Let see, oh yea, page 336. No I read that page. Must be 337.

Bunny maybe we could car pool from this area. Ok I am not quite in your area. But I am on the way to Missouri!

Patty I am with you on the tomatos. I have been able to pick most of the things I can or freeze from local farms except tomatos. I need repeat need my salsa!

Oh Patty he is so cute. But he looks like mischief waiting to happen.

Patty I turly niss you. That story was priceless. I will have to show it to my DH.

Darlys I know about broken machines. I took my much loved and well used Elna to the shop. The bobin clutch would not disengage. (stop winding the bobin and just sew) The repair guy says they do not make that part anymore. Ok it is an old machine but really. He did offer me a trade in on a new machine that just happens to be on sale. Oh how nice! I took my old machine back home and I am going to look for another repair shop. Maybe one that repairs Elnas and not just what ever. So I am without a machine for now. A new machine is not in the budget at this point. I just started payments on a spinning wheel.

Is it just me or dose anyone else notice that when you think ok I can go and get that thing I have been wanting, something breaks and poof there goes the thing you have been wanting.

Penny glad you did jump on. I have been keeping you in prayer. How is your brother doing. Praying for him too.

Kathy praying for you sister. Get better soon. We love to here from you.

Linda I am ready for the cooler weather but my food storage is way behind. Not having my own garden has really taken a toll. Next year will be different. Of course I said that last year. LOL

Now that I have writen a book. LOL I had better get off of here. I will let you know more about the homeless stuff when I get back on. There a re a lot of strange rules that have to be followed. Government LOL

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  5:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Janie, Best wishes for your pooch. Hope she is better soon. Nice to hear from you.

Ginny, Please accept my belated wishes for a great birthday!! I look forward to you photos. Hope things look up for you soon. You have plenty of ears here if you need to vent.

Dianne, I should think work is a vacation this week considering the weekend you had! It is so nice to be able to help family and to know you can depend on them isn't it?

Jan, I was delighted to get the book today! Perfect timing as I do not have a book "going" at this time. Thank you so much for thinking of me. It made me very happy.

I am still keeping a schedule totally to my liking, well my liking and the dogs and, of course, the horses' liking. Still spread out all over the family area. I stripped lavendar today again. No sewing today. Lots of ironing. A bit of gardening and a bit of mucking.

I am praying for Glenda, her brother and Kathy, especially right now. We haven't heard from them in a while and it makes you wonder if things have taken a turn for the worse. Bunny is probably crazy busy with all her projects, sewing classes, interviews and getting ready for school. Penny is working terribly hard. Holly is caring for so many people. Darlys is splitting time between homes. Nancy was on not too long ago. Who am I forgetting? There are so many of us... Now with the end of summer, we will probably be a bit more likely to hear from one another on a more regular basis.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  6:52:35 PM  Show Profile
Marianne, I am glad you were happy with the book I sent. I was hoping you would want to read it. Enjoy!
We got more rain during the night, now our grass is finally greening again. Looks so much better. We have a metal roof and a huge oak tree in the corner of our yard. It was windy last night and the acorns were falling by the buckets hitting the roof and it sounded like a war zone. It woke me up and I sure was glas I was not outside getting hit!!! I was waiting for the police to show up thinking we were shooting at each other here!!! LOL!!! Now they fell all day, now I do not hear any. I think they may be done, I am hoping. They have been falling since July. We have so many in out yard, we would not be able to mow until we raked. There is not one spot that is not full of acorns. I dread cleaning those up.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  1:00:43 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. I am still here - this week we are getting ready for an annual antique power show about 22 miles from here. The Adams families' will be sawing wood on Darwin's antique sawmill. We took the mill to the show sight this morning. Yesterday I started baking and this afternoon I'm cleaning house so tomorrow I can go into full cooking mode as I have lots of people to feed on Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. It is always fun, but also good to crawl into bad on Sunday night and say whoo that's done for another year. giggle

Kathy - I am so sorry to hear about yet another trip to the hospital. I hope you will soon be able to put the pain behind you and enjoy life to the fullest. I am praying for your speedy recovery. Tell Jenny that I will write soon.

I hope everyone is surviving the mixedup weather. It is a little cooler here today and we did get 7/10 inch of rain tuesday night. That is the most rain we have gotten all summer. Farm crops have been destroyed by the drought. Oct. is harvest season for corn and beans but a lot of corn is comming out. It we get high winds the brittle stalks will go down and there is no way to combine successfully if that happens. Farmers are lucky here because they will get a percentage of their crops. The farther south we drive the worse it gets. I haven't been to any southern states but it must be pretty bad there if ranchers are selling thheir cattle because they have no feed for them.

I better get to work. taa taa my chickie poos! stay out of the heat
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  2:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

It has been cloudy all day but no rain. Kind of humid.
I have pickles to chop for Wimpy"s Delight, a wonderful relish for hamburgers. Aside from that I am taking it a little easy.

Ginny glad you dropped by. Do so when ever you can. Don't worry if it has been a while, we live to hear from you. Can't wait to see your "summer theropy" I didn't get to do much gardening this year so I love looking at everyone elses.

Marianne I am greatful that my family works together. I hear from DILs and SIL's all the time that their families don't do that. It is sad.

I am trying to stay caught up. LOL

Tomorrow after work I am headed out to Baker City. it is in Oregon about an hour north of me. There is an Elna shop there and she said they had a really good repaire man. I told her what happened and she understood. She said they would take a look and give me a second opinion. She sounded really nice so who knows. Maybe I wont need to buy a new machine. A new sewing machine is really not in the budget.

Latter all

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  8:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Ok Ladies - Two days in a row, I'm on a roll here!

Here are my cherry tomato plants, 12 in all

My covered wagon without the cover (actually two raised beds, one in back of the other)

Some of my herbs in the blocks around the girls pen

My corn in the other pen

And most of my therapy was spent in my 30' by 50' garden out back

Here's what I have: Cherry, Roma, Brandwine, & Beefstake Tomato's; Corn, Strawberry Popcorn, Ornamental corn; Broccoli; Lettuce; Green beans, Lima beans, Kidney beans, Black beans; Cucs; Yellow and White onions; Garlic; Beets; Carrots; Pea's (well, we had pea's); cabbage (OMG, I ended up with 43 heads of cabbage!); Pumpkins; Blue Hubbard Squash; Winter Squash; Muskmellon; Green and Jalopino peppers; Strawberies; Asparagus; Rhubarb; Kale; Fennel and 36 different types of herbs, most perennials.

I also got 6 new chickens, and last night David let them stay out of their little coop which is in the big pen and something got in and killed two of them. So I made sure three left went in with the big girls tonight and put the 4th in it's little coop, because it's a rooster which I wasn't counting on.

I did this for three main reasons. I needed the therapy and distraction from life and I wanted to see how much food I would need to grow to have enough for a year to feed us. I don't think I have enough, except maybe the cabbages, lol! Also, we now have a place in town that we call the Machias Marketplace and this wonderful woman Inez runs it. She only opens it one day a week, but what she is doing is wonderful! She puts up on her website what is available to order from local farmers and people order what they want until Sunday night. Then the farmers bring it to her on Tuesday and she sets it up for everyone to come and get it on Wednesday. She also offers ala cart items and eggs.

I happen to be the closest "farmer" as I live in Machias, but we have 60 acres so I will be selling items through her, eliminating the need to have a farm stand and even to go to the Farmer's Market. Mostly for next year, this was more of a dry run although I do sell our extra eggs through her already and she is willing to sell my dry herbs, tea's, and as soon as I have a certified kitchen, my herbal vinegars.

Here is my office right now with my herbs over my head. I need someplace to dry them so here they are! Two strings from one wall to the other packed full. I have to bend a lot to get to my laptop, but at least they aren't all over the house, lol.

Well that's my summer and a long book for you ladies! I'll show you some pics of my one fun day out of my garden this year later.

Sweet dreams, it's way past my bedtime.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  02:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, Ginny, I thought I had a large garden. Boy, was I wrong! Your garden is wonderful. Laid out so gorgeously. It was so nice to see all your photos. It sure looks like next year will be a busy one for you. How nice that you already have the gardener all set up to sell next summer's produce. I think it sounds like it will be a big success. That's my kind of therapy! It sure is nice to hear from you two days in a row.

Dianne, I've got my fingers crossed for your sewing machine. A simple repair sure sounds nice at this point!

Thelma your description of the corn laying down reminded me of a contraption my father designed for the front of his combine. It worked like a comb and lifted the stalks that had been laying down. He caused a bit of a sensation amongst his fellow farmers because everyone wanted one of their own. After that, my dad spent winters fabricating these devices. I was so proud of him. He was a pretty clever guy who had to quit school at 15 to farm the family farm to support his mother and sister following his father's death. He always wanted to be an engineer and design machinery. It was so nice that he got a chance to try his hand at it on a small basis.

Holly must be swamped with getting everything arranged for back to school. Sure miss hearing about Ross' adventures. And the guinea's progress.

I pick up dh today about lunchtime. It will be almost three pm "his" time, so he should be hungry. Ive got plenty of tomatoes to make up some sauce for pasta. Wonder if that will sound good to him ....

I picked MORE blackberries last evening. More jam to be made. Running out of room for it all! But, it sure is a nice feeling. I got a grand total of seven peaches this year ... which is six more than last year. So progress on that front.

I baked ginger snaps yesterday ... smelled fall-like! And I mixed up a double batch of biscotti which I will need to bake this morning. They are an overnight project. If you don't let the dough rest overnight, your results suffer.

Happy Friday everyone. Hope you have great weekend plans to look forward to.
Marianne

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  04:36:10 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick stop by! Quick trip to the Dr's office for fasting blood work and then am heading to the farmer's market this morning. I need some lettuce, tomatoes and cantaloupe. We have been eating our large dinner for lunch and having salad for dinner. Trying to shed a few pounds. A friend of mine stopped by a couple of days ago and has lost 20 lbs in a month on the Paleo Diet. Not sure I could do that diet, but I do need to shed a few pounds. I plan on having quail on the grill for lunch today. I have never had quail other than fried. I will have to search some recipes.
We are still waiting for the health department to inspect our coffee truck. They were suppose to show up yesterday. I shared the pictures of the trucks's interior on another thread, if you would like to take a look. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58806&whichpage=2 It is looking very good! I can't wait to get it to working. I am currently working on my Food Safety Certification. I should have it next week. It will benefit me other than the coffee truck. I will be able to sell home canned products at Farmer's Markets now that Illinois has passed the Cottage Food Act.

Marianne- Still getting blackberries...wow. Ours are long done. And tomatoes, it was so dry we had very few and small. I did up what I have but now are having to resort to buying any fresh.

Ginny- What beautiful pictures. You have definately been busy. The shop for the fresh produce sounds great. Kudos to Inez and her work to organize it.

Dianne- I hope you get your sewing machine fixed. Someone through a Viking out in the trash once and I picked it up and now keep it for a spare.

Thelma- We have alot of corn down in this area. Some farmers have collected on their insurance and then were able to cut it for silage. It was so dry that the crop was not very good, so I suppose the winds were a blessing for those that had insurance. There are horses for free in this area as people can't afford to buy the high priced hay and feed for them. The drought has hurt alot of horse owners.

Janet- Oh how I can relate to flying acorns. If the wind isn't blowing them down, the squirrels are dropping them on us. Last year we didn't have one acorn. This year the 105 year old tree is loaded.

Well, I had better get busy and get ready for my day. Enjoy your day.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  04:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Ginny so nice to see all the pictures of those herbs and veggies. You have really accomplished a lot.

Kathy I am praying for you and hope things will be better for you soon.

I am going to the eye doctor today for a follow-up check on my surgery. I plan to ask the doctor when and if I will get over this horrible glare from light. I am so sensitive to the light that when I watch TV or when I went to the movies the other day I have to wear sunglasses. I still wonder what the people sitting next to me thought as I watched the movie with my sunglasses on. I am not able to drive because of this glare. It is hard to keep my eyes open for driving.

My oldest granddaughter moved out of my DD's house and now has her own bachlorette apartment. She is paying $900 a month there in Huntington Beach, CA. In about 6 months she plans to move in with a girlfriend so they can share rent. I am hoping all will go well with her. She is 23 and has to keep 2 jobs to earn enough money.

Take care ladies and have a good day. Our weather here has been the best in the last 2 weeks. Hope it stays cooler.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  09:47:20 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all.
Kathy so sorry you are having so many issues after surgery. I hope you get better soon.

Thelma, sounds like you will have an eventful weekend. Sounds pretty fun...at least to watch anyhow.

Ginny, what a wonderful garden. Sounds like you have the perfect outlet for selling your produce. Good for you! Sad about your little chickens. Hopefully the big girls will take care of them.

Patty, I can't believe your coffee truck is still not on the road. Your health department isn't doing a very good job it sounds like. So much for supporting small businesses. Hope they get their stuff in gear soon.

Nancy, are you ok from the oncoming hurricanes? I worry about you. I know how hard it is on the younger generation to find affordable housing. My son is in the San Francisco bay area. A studio rents for over 1000.00. That's if you can find one available.
Most are one bedrooms starting at 1200.00. He just doesn't make enough. He pays over half his paycheck in fuel just to get to work and home. It is almost 5.00 a gallon there. He drives a diesel. Use to be diesel was cheaper than gas.

Well, I didn't get the job at Accuquit. I'm not even upset about it. It would have been a big push to do that and full time school too. I figure it's just not time yet.

Anyway, got to go. Double time in the sewing room today. I spent yesterday with a migraine. Later all.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  1:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Well it has been a week and a half at my new position as produce manager and the store manager thinks that I am not going to be able to handle the job...now myself I think it is strange that he can make this decision in a week and a half...but he did....not taken into account that 3 times last week and one time this week I've been called up front to run the register and EVERY DAY the person in DSD has called me to come help them...so this taking me away from my job oh and my assistant has fought me every step of the way, doing everything he can to make me look bad...but that is nothing new to did it to the last manager too.

Now to get to the real problem as I see it....the person they put in my old position as DSD receiver and HBC manager has quit and there is no one else in the store that knows how to do the job...why couldn't he just say they needed to put me back there because they have no one else instead of saying they don't think I can do the job. It really ticks me off that they use that excuse instead of just telling me they need me in DSD/HBC...oh well makes me mad....but I am REALLY glad to go back, I really loved that job...and having to fight the asst. everyday is really getting old.

Just wanted to let ya'll all know, Ya'll are the only ones I'm sharing this with because I trust ya'll and know that ya'll will understand me being upset....thanks for listening....love you all..

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  1:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Oh I forgot to mention that traveled 2 hours last night to watch my 13 year old grandson Tyler play in his first middle school football game....It was fun even if they did loose. He wasn't too happy that I called his name and made him look...but that is what Grandma's do...lol..He is #44.

I also found out that my other Grandson Kyle has started wrestling...so now got to make trips to watch him too...

I love my Grands...they are really growing up

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#

Edited by - Acelady02 on Sep 07 2012 2:00:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  05:02:20 AM  Show Profile
So far we have been very lucky up here in the northeast corner of Florida. We have not been affected by the hurricanes this year. We did get tropical storm, Debby, a few months ago and it was enough for me. In 2008, this area got the edge of Faye and believe me we had some really hard rain and wind for 4 days. If a hurricane is ever coming this way I am taking a trip far from it.

Bunny, hang in there and keep up with your schooling. The rewards will be so worth it. I went back to school, college, when I was 28 years old and studied to be a teacher. I had 2 kids and a husband who did nothing to help me. I even had to walk and take a bus to the college a we only had 1 car. So I encourage you to stay with it. :)

I saw the eye doctor yesterday and he said that the glare and light sensitivity will subside with time. He wouldn't say that it would completely go away. He just said that people with blue eyes tend to be more sensitive to bright light. So I guess when the light gets too bright I will just have to look like a movie star celebrity with my sunglasses on. :)

Continued prayer for you and love to you all.

Hugs,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  4:05:25 PM  Show Profile
Everyone is so busy! Love reading it all.

My sewing machine is back home (with a sidekick - I bought a very inexpensive Singer when I brought the Bernina in for repair this time so I wouldn't experience such intense withdrawal). Anyway the problem with the Bernina was SO my fault that I can barely bring myself to admit that I clogged the bobbin post by being too impatient to put a bit of stabilizer under the soft flannel I was working on. That'll teach me! It cost me $89.95 plus the price of the little Singer. My Viking and my other backup machine, the little BabyLock, are in Oakhurst along with my serger. I'll be glad when everything is in one place!

Oh, I have another great-grandaughter - Izabella (I know it's spelled wrong ... but what can I say - her mother is 24 years old and trying to be creative.) She was born August 31st, 7 lbs, 14 oz., 20" ... in Osseo, MN ... (a "burb" of Minneapolis). I understand baby and the family is doing great.

Nancy, we've talked so you know I'm with you on that eye surgery stuff. Love ya.

Patty, loved hearing from you the other day. You have more energy than that bunny that beats that drum! Hope the coffee wagon is on the road soon.

Glenda is on her way home (if she hasn't already arrived) from her cruise ... the pool boys are exhausted! I'm sure she will pop on soon to tell us all about it. I can still imagine butter dripping off the fresh lobster. Mmmmm

Ginny, I'm sorry you had such a rough summer - I do hope things get better now that fall is 'almost' in the air. Your gardens are beautiful. And your harvest sounds fabulous. It's great you have an outlet for some of that abundance. The pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing them.

Penny - chin up, sweetie. Eventually you'll be running THE place - not running IN place - and not being shifted around. If you liked the old position better, you'll be so much happier .... but you are right - they could have been straight with you. Rise above it, honey - like the classy Farmgirl you are. Oh, and GO #44!

Kathy, hope each passing day finds you getting better.

Dianne - so fun to have you posting again. And, Marianne - as always - I love reading your posts. Your caring and kindness shine through every time.

Bunny, everything in God's good time.

Thelma - I'm coming to YOUR house for dinner. Or, at least coffee and biscotti! So enjoy hearing what's going on.

Janet - Even though you had the acorn avalanche - it's good to hear you are getting a bit of rain.

Holly --- thinking of you and yours, gf. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who wants a "Holly-fix."

Just finished reading my new MJF magazine. It's a good issue.

There are a few ripe lemons (we'll see another good crop from that little tree this year) so I'm going to snag them and pop some lemon bars into the oven.

There's an Art & Wine Festival just up the road in Mountain View and I think I'll wander through it after church tomorrow. The temps here are hovering around 80.

Pumping up the prayers for all who are in need of a bit of divine intervention ... and sending my love out to all.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  6:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Too tired to address everyone individually tonight, but you are all in my thoughts. I read all that is on here, but so much to catch up on all the time. It is raining out right now and only 51 degrees. It was not supposed to rain, but it is. Now we are getting all the rain we needed all summer. The grass is green again, what is left of it, mostly weeds now. Our trees all over are turning brown and dropping leaves, so I am not sure how good the colors will be this year. That is so sad to see. We usually have a wonderful season of such brilliant colors. Hopefully the rain will help the trees.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2012 :  02:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Bunny, Sorry to hear that Accuquilt didn't recognize the magic that is you. It sounds like you are at peace with staying with the plan you have in place (school) especially since you have so much of it under your belt already. Good for you. Appreciating what you have is the most important lesson we learn in life.

Darlys, if you have a recipe for a very tart lemon bar, would you share it? DH loves very tart lemon baked items and I haven't found one tart enough for him, yet. Bet your sewing/serger machines miss one another and are looking forward to a huge reunion once you are in one place! I can't imagine how often you are frustrated by "Oh, shoot, that's at the other house" moments. Of course, what a wonderful built in excuse for not being able to put your hands on something at the drop of a hat. Your weather sounds perfect. I remember when we lived in the Bay Area that October was our hottest month. That was when we lost the evening breezes. Congratulations on the great granddaughter. The funky spelling doesn't bother me as much as the "made up" names, so Izabella has my blessing namewise! It is a pretty name. God bless her and her poor unsuspecting parents! They have a lot of learning ahead of them. Well, I guess we all lived through it.

Penny, sorry to hear of your work frustration. But, glad to hear you are back in the position you prefer. I hope you can stay there for a while and enjoy it. Your grandson does look like he'd like the earth to open up and swallow him in the photo! But, doesn't he look all grown up and tough in his pads and uniform?

Nancy, sorry you don't feel like you got the straight "poop" from your doctor. I HATE being brushed off like that. You are in my prayers that the glare subsides quickly. It must be aggravating to always have your sunglasses ready! So glad you have had a quiet year weatherwise so far.

Yesterday, DH took down some bushes that were crowding an evergreen - seven years after I asked for them to be removed. Let's just say it was a bit more of a job now than when I originally requested them removed. He also took down a very thorny, berry producing tree that was giving me fits in my garden. I was always getting snagged on it. It was still small, but I just hate "Killing" trees. Moment of silence. And a prayer that we got all the thorns off the driveway or the tree will have the last laugh with a popped tire. THey are that seriously sized thorns!

I removed the skins and seeds from a bunch of tomatoes to make sauce, but didn't actually get the sauce made yet. So that's in the fridge. Along with more blackberries. Sunday will be busy!

I have so much fruit sitting on my countertops. Along with a bowl of apple cider vinegar to lure the fruit flies ... so far, I have only had one randowm fruit fly, but there aren't any flies "in the ointment." The pears are ripening, but the peaches look like a wash.

My apron is still spread on my dining room table, untouched. Poor ignored project. Maybe tomorrow? I got my new glasses and love them. I can read so much more easily. That's just so handy.

So nice to hear from more gals lately. Missed you all.
Marianne

Edited by - rough start farmgirl on Sep 09 2012 02:26:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  08:29:30 AM  Show Profile
hello gals! just a quick update on my dog Sally, she is doing soooo much better! i really appreciate all of the prayers and good thoughts!
work is crazyyyyyy...
hugs to all
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page