herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  10:11:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Betty. Glad your trip was fun(for the most part). But glad you're back too! Tell me about your aviary. I just love birds. I would have love to have an aviary instead of just cages for them.I'd let my canaries out to fly, but it stressed them too much.I've also had a variety of finches and cockatiels.
Tell us more about your trip and your visits. I love traveling and I'm a little (homesick) for it right now I thnk. When I was growing up, we traveled every summer and it's still in my blood!!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Jun 30 2011 10:15:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  12:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
ya sis, i would take a snow bank ANY day that it's hot and muggy. which next 5 days is going to be around 90. hubby helped me pick 2 and half gallons of black berries total so far. i made a double batch of jam (without seeds) and put up 5 qt in the freezer to make whatever, pies or more jam. this is a blackberry year around here. tons more to be picked.
ivy report: it has spread to the other leg, right where the boot top comes, but the best thing i have for it is the chigger cream you gave me. takes that itching away and as long as i keep cool, it don't bother me to much. *crosses fingers*

wow, betty! welcome back..sounds like you traveled like my sis and i used to do with our family every year. daddy would cover 500 miles in one day. miss those days. i loved arizona travel, got to 100, but felt great because it was a dry heat, never sweated, loved it. :)
ya, our neighbor has been giving us zucchini,yellow squash and cukes. i picked a handful of green beans last night from out garden, i have tons of blooms, so will be beaned out by the time the season ends but loving it that i beat the grocery bill a lil bit. haha my kids put in their orders for dilly beans (look in the old ball canning book)

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  1:18:06 PM  Show Profile
hi betty... Whirlwind trip eh? I live about an hour from needles....when did you pass through....i could of stood on the side of road with hello sign as you zoomed by....lol....paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  3:59:39 PM  Show Profile
Betty, glad to hear you had a great trip and glad you had safe travels going and coming. Think my backside would really be sore after such a trip. Can't wait to hear everything in your next letter. Glad you're back safe and sound. Get some rest now and enjoy all those veggies.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  09:59:11 AM  Show Profile
Paula, we passed through Needles on the 28th about noon time. Sorry we didn't get to wave at each other. Patsy, your dad sounds like my hubby. We leave here and our stop for the night is Santa Rosa, NM about a 12-14 hour drive. We made it to Ft. Leonard Wood, MO the next day. On our way home we left Newton, KS and stopped for the night in Gallup, NM and made it home the next day. Annie, will be sriting soon. Judy, I have two aviaries attached to my chicken coop and pens. My son built the first chicken coop and pen and at the end added an aviary at the end of the coop. The birds can fly inside to get out of the weather and fly out into the flight cage whenever they want. Later we decided we wanted to add another chicken pen. We divided the coop into two with nest boxes and added another chicken run. We also added another indoor cage for the aviary and added another outside flight cage. I have 10 zebra finches(some are pure white) and I have 4 Cotournix Quail inside also. They are gentle like the finches so they get along well and they clean up all the seed that the finches drop. The other one has two canaries and six parakeets in it. They would hurt the finches so they can't be in with them. I don't know about the canaries but the parakeets would. One of my coops has 7 chickens and the other coop has four young bantams, two pair. One pair black silkies and the other bantam americaunas. They'll lay blue eggs. At least the hen will. lol. They're only a couple of months old. My birds in the aviary stay out year round in all the heat (up to 117) and in the cold (down below freezing) and all of our wind. They're quite cozy inside during the cold and wind and I have shade cloth over the aviaries and the chicken pens. My trees are only five years old but a mesquite nearby is already providing shade. I have planted vines also to grow over everything for more shade and protection from the sun. Well, time to get back to the laundry and housework (groan) Have a good day all of you.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  4:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow Betty, that sounds beautiful and a real "Home-Sweet-Home" that I'm sure all of your little Feather-Darlings appreciate. You sound like the perfect Birdie-Mama! lol Who feeds&waters them when you go away like you just did? When I had my finches I had 2 brown males and a white female. She laid 2 eggs and only 1 hatched, I remember being SO excited. Then one day, I came home from work, and she was so distraught. So I went over and looked inside the cage, and there, laying on the bottom of the cage was her baby....dead. No marks on it anywhere. It must have fallen out of the nest and died from fright. It was a perfect, tiny replica of her...and pure white.When I put my hand in the cage to pick it up, she lighted on my hand so softly and looked me in the eye and chirped so forlornly. It broke my heart. I cried and she just watched me. I think she knew that I felt her loss. Some people think birds are just dumb...but they ARE NOT. Anyway...she never laid another egg after that. Made me so sad.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Jul 01 2011 4:15:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  5:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Judy! How sad.I always feel bad when I lose a baby. I've only lost a couple and I've lost count of the ones I've sold or given away. They seem to do well in their environment and I love to listen to them chirp or in the case of the canaries, hear them sing. I want to put a bench under the mesquite tree so I can sit and watch them all. My neighbor down the road, 20 acres from me takes care of them and my german Shepherd and waters the flowers for me inside and out. The outside are mostly on irrigation but the porch ones aren't. I take care of her animal family when she has to go away. There are several others that would do it also. We kind of take turns looking after one another. One neighbor went to Ireland a few years ago and she is with Audobon and her property is a licensed wildlife habitat. It took me an hour every day to feed two dogs, seven indoor cats and clean litter boxes, two outside feral cats, 12 chickens and apeacock, fill half a dozen hummingbird feeders, four other feeding stations for wild birds, water for wild animals and take care of the pond with 200 golfish in it. The migrating water birds stop there to rest when migrating and wind is high and they're tired. I see all kinds of wildlife around there. It was fun to do and enjoy the different birds that come there that don't come here as my trees aren't that big yet and she's lived there 35 years.
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  6:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
betty, it only took you an hour? that is a LOT of animals to care for. It's so nice to "trade favors" with neighbors. we have a neighbor like that to watch our dog when we go away. then we take care of his chickens when he goes away.

Go to Top of Page

Deedles
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Dee Anne
Joplin MO
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  7:11:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm a new member and newly 50, hailing from Joplin, Missouri where we are all cleaning up after an E5 tornado destroyed a large portion of our city. It is wonderful to see our community come together, neighbor helping neighbor. The Farmgirl Sisterhood symbolizes all that is kind, giving and resourceful. Am looking forward to chatting with all y'all sisters!

Grow what you can. Can what you grow.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  8:35:11 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dee Anne....we went through Joplin on our way to Ft. Leonwood and we didn't see any of the devastation from the road we took out of Aden, OK. We spent the night in Miami, OK. I guess the tornado hit another part of town. So sorry to hear about it. A tornado went within 1/4 mile of my daughters house in Jacksonville, NC in May. My grandson was on a team of high school students that went to help out after school. It's nice when people help people that way.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  09:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Hello DeeAnne and welcome from NE Ohio. Here's a Big Farmgirl(((Hug)))for you...and an extra one for all of your ~stress~ there in Joplin(((Hug))) How scary that must have been. I'm so glad you found us. You have just taken on a whole wheelbarrow heaping with Sista- love-caring&sharing. These gals will laugh with you, cry with you, give advice when you ask and Hug&Squeezle you 'til you ~squeak~. They are the next, best thing to an actual Sister...which, by the way, Patsy (craftbug) from N.C.is mine. She's the BEST of the BEST, but these gals come close.~teehee~
Well, we are having beautiful weather today ladies....84,breezy,sunny,some sprinkles thrown in just for fun. Humidity isn't too bad yet. Seems like everytime it sprinkles, it cools down 3 or 4 degrees. Not sure why...but not complaining either. One thing I love about Ohio, it's ALWAYS breezy. I love that. It can be 95...but there's that great breeze!
Well,have a great day gals.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  10:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
welcome dee anne. love your signature, i live by that when the garden is good! yup, sister is right (herblady55), they do it all here and you can do as much or as little as you want. they are here for you. thank you dear sister for the kind words.
we're having 90 the next few days with chances of rain. hubby is out mowing the grass. i helped him hold the lawn tractor on it's side so he could take the 2 blades off an sharpen them. it was balanced, so not to bad. breezy here too, thank goodness. you all have a great day. :)

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  6:26:07 PM  Show Profile
Patsy, just noticed you live in NC. My daughter lives in Jacksonville, NC. Will be back there come Oct. for my granddaughters wedding. I lived there for over 15 years before returning to CA. I sometimes wished I'd stayed.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  1:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Have been reading all your posts as I kept my mouth shut (quiet Judy...Herblady55). Sometimes, there is just too much going on physically or emotionally to let it spring forth in this forum, but I am so glad that these farmgirls continue on bolstering, teasing, consoling and sharing with each other. I know that in other forums, I have gotten some of the best recipes that you all have shared. Thank you from one who is silent for a season.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  2:31:23 PM  Show Profile
......not a "peep" outta me Claudia! teehee.....but....aaaaaaaaahhh.....how long do ya think you can hold out??? *snicker*
....just wondering......

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  8:01:34 PM  Show Profile
My grandson Jason came to see me today on his way home from his grandfathers birthday party. We had such a nice visit. We grilled steak and I made potato salad from new potatoes just dug this morning and used onions just pulled this morning and deviled eggs from the eggs my chickens laid. It was good to see him although he went back to MO for his sisters grad. from basic in the army so I saw him a week ago there. I hope everyone has a safe and Happy 4th of July.
Go to Top of Page

Kathy Rutter
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

ann
Galt CA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  10:17:13 AM  Show Profile
I'm part of that over 50 crowd too. I'm 58 going on 35; I'm only my age in years not in actions and ideas. I absolutely refuse to be old.

kathy
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  11:35:08 AM  Show Profile
Good Girl Kathy....that's how it SHOULD be!!! LOL My Mom is 83 and she tells everybody she's 38! Physically, she's young and takes no medications, just vitamins, minerals and herbs. But she says that when she looks in the mirror, she asks, "Who's that old lady?" LOL
Welcome Ann! We just love adding new Hens to our Hen-House! Come cackle with us anytime!
Well girls, it's gorgeous here today...86/sunny/pure blue sky. My SIL came over and brought me 6 of her 5-6# organic&processed hens. Can't wait to try those.... $2.50 # And I got 2 dozen eggs from her..$1.50 doz. I showed her my MJFarm Magazine and asked her how she'd like a subscription and she got ALLLLL excited...told her hubby what a nice magazine it is. So, I think we've gained another Sister thru the Magazine. Isn't it fun to tell people about MJF!!!/? I just love introducing new Gals and even their organically savvy spouses to it!
Well, make it a great day Gals! Love Yuns! Gotta go harvest some chamomile now. It's getting tall with all that rain we've had in the past.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Jul 14 2011 5:17:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  9:45:46 PM  Show Profile
We had rain yesterday and today. It's unusual to get rain in July here in the desert. There's been a monsoonal flow from the south and it's brought all kinds of moisture in. We've been in a flash flood watch all day. It doesn't have to rain hard here, just in the mountains and then it runs off down through the canyons out into the desert. Everything smells so fresh and clean and the temps have dropped 30 degrees.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16931 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16931 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  11:09:44 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,,, I couldn't agree with you more!
We are only old if we let ourselves be......as for me,,, I plan to have fun all the way to the end... weeeeeee!
:>)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Dream Tea
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Paula
FL
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  6:22:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Just wanted to say a neighborly "Hello" to the Farmgirls over age 50. I am 57, soon to be 58, and got my foot on the breaks for 60. I heard you have to get your hair cut then, is that true?:)

"What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul"
-Yiddish Proverb
http://SoaptownRoad.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  8:57:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paula and Welcome to the group. We are a feisty, sassy bunch and we love us that way! And "No",there are no hard'n fast rules for anything we do at our age! lol If ya want long hair, keep it! If ya wanna try short hair, do it! But just a tip, once it's cut, it takes a looooong time to grow it back, at our age! It just happens that way...Dunno why! Just one of them thar things that makes ya scratch yer chin and say, "hmmmmm"..... BUT, we'll support your choice, no matter what it is, won't we Gals? You Go Girl!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  12:05:30 AM  Show Profile
Can I join your club now? I turned 50 today. It just kind of snuck up on me. Just remember that age only matters if you are wine or cheese.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  06:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Diane! We are glad you are here even if you have mixed feelings about it! LOL It's just a number. I'll bet you are younger on the inside than most!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  10:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Happy birthday Diane and welcome. My birthday says I'm 71 but I don't feel it as long as I don't look in the mirror to remind me. lol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page