buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  10:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Wohoo Diane! Congrats and Happy Birthday you young thing! Hope it is as good a day as it should be.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  4:07:15 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Diane and Welcome to a group of "Sassy", Young-At-Hearts! Age doesn't exist here....only Attitude!!!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  5:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
hi paula, welcome to the group, I'm 58 soon to be 59...it's just a number, it's just a number..haha
herblady55 is my real life sis.

happy birthday diane. hope it was a good one! welcome to the group. :)

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  7:19:11 PM  Show Profile
"Happy Birthday to you!"
"Happy Birthday to you!"
"Happy Birthday dear Farm Gal, Diane"
"Happy Birthday to YOU!"
"And Many More"
( Singing the birthday song to you)
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:33:21 AM  Show Profile
I dont know where I belong!lol. I told the fg in their 40's group could I join both! I turn 50 in Feb. We waited 10 years to have children so while most of our friends our age and married as long as we have been (25 yrs Tue) are grandparents we have a 12 yr old son and a 15 yr old daughter. I would have it no other way but sometimes dont feel a "fit" in either world, ya know? Our childrens friends parents are so much younger than us. Oh well. Which group do I belong in?
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:38:41 AM  Show Profile
62 and enjoying the simple farm girl life-----meaning I don't mind working hard in the dirt----and material things mattering to me----dropped that years ago.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  09:43:16 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about not fitting in....I had a daughter when I turned 40. (6 other children before her)Everyone thought she was my granddaughter and I already had grandchildren older than her. Welcome to the over 50 group. You're almost there but who counts amongst friends.
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  12:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Lea.......I think you belong wherever you chose to belong.........I don't think farmgirls care one way or another actually. You are welcome here and I would wager that the 40 somethings would be glad to include you also!! :)

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  4:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I'm way over 50 and am new to the group. Paula the best thing about being 50 is you don't have to do anything you don't want to about your hair or styles anymore. One thing I do notice as I get older on the outside is that I don't feel any older on the inside. I still feel like I did in my 30's. Now if only my body would cooperate. At times it is so stubborn. I still like biking,hiking, walking, etc. but it isn't like the old days. Just got to laugh.

Nancy
Farmgirl #2301
Live everyday to the fullest

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  6:11:19 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could say I feel better than at 50. Truth be known, I felt great until I turned 61 and got laid off from work. Then I had knee surgery that went wrong, infection ensued, and it won't be better until I have some sort of knee replacement. Then there is the rheumatoid arthritis for which I was put on a drug called Remicade. From there I got lymphoma (cancer) and that was the whole of last year. I am still getting over all that stuff. Thank God my rheumatoid arthritis has not returned (it will, just don't know when) and my joints feel better. I have just found a mass on my right hip and the doctor doesn't know what it is. Oh, I forgot to mention that in Feb 2010 I had a clot on my lung that put me in the hospital. Thank the good Lord I've got decent insurance. Thanks for listening to my whining.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  8:16:58 PM  Show Profile
OMGoodness Betty....with all of that, you have every right to whine. That's what we're here for, to listen and ((hug)) you! That's a whole pack of troubles. What's that old song about "Packing up your troubles?" I'll have to ask my Ma tomorrow. She has a song for everything I say! hahaha It's fun though!
Hi Nancy. Good to have you in the group. I had to laugh about your statement about hair and styles. Shoot.....my hair has taken on a whole different "Attitude & Personality" of it's own since I turned 56. It acts like it's not even MINE! LOLOL "You want me to do what? Get out! I'll do what I want" lol And it does. One day it's straight, one day, wavy, next day curly. I just never know what to expect. BUT, like I tell my Ma when we both have Bad-Hair-Days, at least we have hair. Be thankful, cancer victims would love to have our hair troubles!" Amen!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  9:05:47 PM  Show Profile
I think that old song went, "pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile." There may be another but that's the one I remember from WWII.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile
That's what I remember Betty. My Daddy used to sing that sometimes when I was acting pouty. :)
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  04:34:21 AM  Show Profile
Judy, I know what you mean about your hair. Mine is the same. Everyday I wake up to a new kind of hair it seems. I don't know what to do with it sometimes. But I do thank God that I have a good head of hair so I tell myself to stop complaining and do the best I can with it. I always had straight hair when I was young and wanted curls so now even though they are wild they are there. I got what I asked for! LOL Gosh, Betty, I don't blame you for whinning. What a bad time you have had.

Nancy

Live everyday to the fullest
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  07:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I'm cracking up thinking of how we both had straight hair and now we have some hair with body and....and....uh...whatever ..... and we're having a "frizz-fit!" hahahaah Well, aren't we both just ......human! hahaha
That's it Betty, that's the song Ma sings to me. That woman remembers the words to so many old songs, I just love it. If she forgets a song, she has me or my Sister look it up on here for her. Then she sings it to us. We are a musical family, so we do a lot of expressing, thru music! Mom even yodels. There's a lost Art!
Well, have a great day and for goodness sake , keep cool!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  10:48:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the Birthday wishes! I turned 50 at MJF B & B! What a way to bring in half a century. Now, I just got to recover from the trip.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  2:18:01 PM  Show Profile
OHG, Betty. The only thing I can think about is the old saying that God only gives a person as much as He thinks they can handle. I think you've handled enough for the rest of your life sweety. Just remember that you have all the farm girls here at MJF to listen and encourage you and give you lots of hugs. Nancy, so glad you joined the group. Feel the same way - might have an old frame, but the engine still purrs like new.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  2:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to say that we just had #14 grandbaby - little boy names Jonah to my son and DIL in WI. Their second - have little girl Sydney age 3. I'm over the moon and can't wait to see them in two weeks. Will be bringing tons of gifts for everyone!
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  2:33:27 PM  Show Profile
So the topic is hair?
I remember in the 70's and some of the 80's I had the Farrah Fawcet hair do.It would take me and 1 1/2 hours to get ready for work. (Remember the Big Fluffy Wind Blown hair do?) Every hair on my head had to be perfect...and lot's of hair spray! Now I go to bed with my hair wet and it is what it is in the morning! In January I went to have my hair cut and styled. A little pampering on myself. I was so miserable with the hair cut after that because I always had to be doing it. (Thank God Hair Grows)I am in my LATE 50's and have become busy with other priorities of life so now I am a "Wash and Go" kind of gal. And I love it. I were less make up now than ever.What you see is what you get. My looks are not that important...It's what is in my heart and soul. I have learned that over the years and I am sure you Gals have too!
Great to read your posts.
Have a great rest of the week.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  2:49:42 PM  Show Profile
My hair was always down to my waist when I was younger and usually just pulled back in a pony tail but in 1973 we went to Okinawa and due to the humidity I could never get it dry so I had it cut short and it's been short ever since. I get it cut and styled every six weeks or so but the rest of the time I do it myself.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  10:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile.
Don't let your joy and laughter hear the snag
Smile boys, that's the style
What's the use of worrying
It never was worth while
So, pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile.

(Musical Interlude)

Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile.
Just pucker up and whistle (Whistle)
(Whistling)
What's the use of worrying
It never was worth while
So, pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile.

(N.B. This is Spike Jones' version. In other versions I've heard,
the third line is:
"while you've a Lucifer to light your fag"

That's the first stanza. The second stanza is in red. Can you imagine singing that while in a war? I suppose singing could take your mind off the miserable conditions. It was written in 1942, the year I was born.

I want to truly thank everyone who listened to my whining and commiserated with me. Old age definitely ain't for sissies. I truly feel that if I had not gotten laid off from work that I would have been healthier and more stable. Thanks again.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Jul 15 2011 07:10:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Okay okay, I have finally read some of this posting. Figured maybe it was time I joined.
51 here for another month. 3 boys, 1 grandson, and one on the way!
Don't know where time has gone, for me to be this age. Just yesterday I was in my twenties.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  3:53:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele, welcome to the "creaky-cracking" but saucy-sassy" group! lol Grands&Great-Grands are wonderful aren't they? Spoil 'Em and send 'em home....oh ya...and listen to the kids whine and say, " Hey...you never let us do that!" hahahahaha "I know, couldn't send you home after!" Right?
Thanks for those lyrics Betty, Ma couldn't remember all of them. Is there a second verse? Just today we sat and sang old songe and had to call my Sis in N.C. and get some of the words off of her. hahahah It was a "Team" effort but the 3 of us pieced a song together! *giggle*

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  4:43:21 PM  Show Profile
well girls...havent posted in awhile..feeling kind of down last couple of weeks..started reading this post..judy you crack me up..back a few posts you were talking about bad hair days. The one "at least we have hair"..i laugh so hard..so thank you for making me laugh..and btw, I agree with all you....
beverly, I used to live in marlborough too. I liked it there. my twins were born in framingham.. 1975..i was born in fallriver. That's were most my family is. Well what's left of them.

I see we have another paula..hi paula..from paula.....
where are you from? Glad to meet all you new girls. Isn't this a great place?
take care every one. Paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

Edited by - paulas party flowers on Jul 15 2011 06:10:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  9:04:22 PM  Show Profile
Talking about WWII and the song's and the dresses. I loved the dresses from that era. My Husband and I have been cleaning out his parents house. A small bungalo in Ohio that was built in 1948. Every bit of the family stuff is still there. Cleaning out this house is a history lesson.Some things that we found were silk slips and silk stockings from the 40's. The stockings had the seam up the back. The stockings were truly silk...they felt so nice. another thing we found from the forties was womans day magazine in mint condition Dated from 1944 & 1945 They are awesome to see, some of the articles were very interesting,and the advertisements had come a long way. Remember the Toni perms that you would get in your hair;or the sweetheart soap that used to be sold, Crisco came in a jsr. The best thing that we found when cleaning out hubby's parents things were a box of love letters sent to esch other during the world war II. They were so much in love and they sure didn't have the tele to talk to each other...they had to write everything down. My hubby and I laid accross the bed and read some of the letters. We almost felt a little guilty by reading the love in these letters. We always new them as Mom and Dad and never as people that would have had other lives Single and in love. We got to read about them in another realm of their lives. Almost where things started out! Reding these was an eye opener for the family. It was cool. Now the thing is what do you do with them. The letters are in a large coat box with every letter and card sent. Even telegrams from the war. We are tossing things out but do you keep these kinds of mementos. Some family members are not intreested. It is just sad to toss out a love history. What do others think? Let me know
debra e.

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page