desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  9:13:26 PM  Show Profile
The weather is the same here. One day it was cool and in the 70's and then the next was in the 90's. Add it to the wind and it's playing havoc with my plants. I do have zucchini on my plants and I have tomatoes not ready for eating yet.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  9:34:51 PM  Show Profile
It is always good to read what is happening in all parts of the country. Betty, I've heard that going through basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood is very hot and difficult. I'm sure that you really ought to be very proud of her. Do you know where she will go afterwards? I am sure that we will get to see Nikki and the family from time to time. I think it is just the fact that I always knew she was close and could drive to see her. As far as the weather, would you believe when I woke up it was 34 degrees? I wasn't so sure that it might not be freezing closer to the garden, so I sprinkled water all over the cukes and squash. Think they will be OK, but here in Deer Park, we can have freezing weather any month. Got my banana peppers, tomatoes and another kind of winter squash in the greenhouse. Now if they will all just hurry up & grow. Judy, as soon as I get the mud off my hands, I'll find a pen & write. Toodles to you all for the night!!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  09:20:07 AM  Show Profile
We awoke to 62 at 6 AM. I got up, shut the North window(was windy), left the West one open, put on socks, my Summer quilt back on the bed over my 1 sheet, jumped in and covered my chilly nose. ahhhh.....it felt so good. Now, at noon it's 77 and just rained softly for about 5 minutes. I pray we get more than that. My poor Sister,living in the Mts. of NC said that it stormed and rained all around them yesterday and they didn't get "nary a drop." They have a pond on their property and have been watering their garden from that every day, but water from the sky would be nicer. I sure hope they don't have drought again. The past couple of Summers have been hard on gardens down there.
Claudia, I can't imagine 34 degrees. WOW! And you say it can do that any month...there's no cut-off date? Really? How do you know when to plant garden....or are you like us here in Ohio in early Spring, and just rely on the garden hose to spray all the frost off before the sun comes up? We've done that numerous times, especially when Hubby gets anxious and plants his "maters" before the last frost...even though he knows better.lol Impatient! lol We bought a 3 ft.tomato plant for my Mom to put out on her apt. balcony, that had flowers on it and now has young tomatoes, so I can't wait to taste her first tomato. She's going to have us beat...and she'll get lots of ours when they come on.I hate it when they force tomato plants, but I'm the first one in line to eat it. lol
Be waiting to hear from you via snail-mail Claudia. Take care Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  09:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Can you imagine snow in Hawaii. I realize it is snow on the top of one of the highest areas in Hawaii and they always have snow in the winter. But goodness, it's June after all! The folks in Hawaii and also the tourists enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6366 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6366 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  09:39:31 AM  Show Profile
Here I am a Farmgirl over 50, I will actually be 56 next month. Some days I feel 55 some days I don't, if I could get rid of the Osteoarthritis in my knees I would be just fine then. I miss hiking and going for long walks with my doggies.
Today is a beautiful day here in Colorado, have a few things to do then will try to sit out on the deck for a bit and wait for the deer. The momma deer are finally starting to bring the fawns around according to my neighbor, I have not seen them yet so I am waiting patiently for them. I never take pictures of the first of the season I see as I just love watching them interact with their mom and enjoy the grass and their new world. But, then after that I try to get as many pictures of them as I can, I think they are the sweetest thing in the world.
I will never get anything done this way so I had better get moving, I am so happy to have found this forum and to know there are a lot of farmgirls out there my age.
Have a beautiful, peaceful day everyone.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  10:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Claudia, She hasn't had the heat to deal with, it's been tornadoes and rain. She will be going to Ft. Benning for jump school and from there probably Ft. Bragg. Yes! I'm proud of her and my two grandsons who are in the military, her brother in the army and her cousin in the navy. Let's face it! This has been a year of weird weather. Here it is June and here in the desert it has finally hit 90. Usually it's way hotter than that by now. We had snow on our mountains last week. We don't have deer here but we do have CA quail and they are parading their new babies. Dayy is usually in the lead with the babies single file behind and mama bringin up the rear. The babies are so cute and tiny. I get some bantams today. I think I'll have four counting the rooster and more when I get back from our trip to MO. After seeing my granddaughter graduate we go visit hubby's family and would you believe one of my hubby's sisters is 99 and the other 95. He's the baby at 74 and they're the only ones left out of 9. My daughter in NC says it's really dry there. Her blueberries are almost raisins. Have a good day everyone. I love to read what is going on all over.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  11:43:22 AM  Show Profile
A little bit warmer today, but thunderstorms this afternoon, they say. Am going to go out and pull weeds that can grow in any climate it seems. As Judy says, I go out and spray water on the plants to wash off the frost before the sun hits them. I try to plant by Mother's Day so that just in case it is a warmer Spring, I will have a head start. About 5 years ago, I lost my garden to frost in August...freaky. So happy about your g-dtr Betty. I can definitely say I am too old to go to jump school. I signed to take classes many years ago when I lived in Alaska, but chickened out when one of the planes crashed. Never signed up again. But my knees are like Debbie's in Colorado. That arthritis can take ya down. Was supposed to have total knees, but I am putting that off for as long as possible. Happened to be the components that they since have recalled. That would have been great! Must get out to those weeds...have probably grown an inch since I started this note.

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  1:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, I'm trying to put off knee replacement as long as possible also. If it wouldn't have been for the infection I got when I had arthroscopic knee surgery, I would have probably had knees that lasted longer. I was just picking strawberries and I could feel the knee grinding. Hard to keep your balance then. Thank the good Lord I'm not in pain all the time. I was relatively healthy until I had the knee surgery and since I retired it has been one thing and then another.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  7:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farm Gals,
I have been out of town for a week so I have missed all that is going on here. Judy,(herblady 55) I was in Canton, Ohio visiting friends and family. You are right the weather was so strange there. One morning it was in the 40's brrr! and then next day it was 93 and HOT. On Sat 6/7 my uncle had a 60th birthday party at his place in Strasburg. The party was a Luau outside. The family had tents set up, a Tiki Bar that served non alcholic beverages,tables that had grass umbrellas covering them, and lit palm trees. It was beautiful and you really felt that you were in Hawaii. We were at the party about 30 minuts when the wind picked up it started to rain and then hail. Everyone had to grab food and run for cover. The party continued on in the house and all worked out. The storm didn't last to long but the sirens were going off in the town warning of tornados. Strange weather for that visit!
I am back in Ga now and we too are in need of rain. It has been a sizzler here. Too many days in the 90's with no rain. We get a few rumbles of thunder but that is it. My garden is suffering. We try and water but there is nothing like good ol Mother Nature and her rain. This feels like Aug weather...Not June.
Good to be back and in the loop of the farm.
P.S. Betty, I have a friend Ruby that is 85 and she has a saying...
If it isn't one thing it is 2. She is so right.

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  8:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Deb! You were here....and I didn't get to meet you??? :( Rats! So glad the party worked out for you all. Ya, we've had really strange weather this Spring. Now today was 82, and it was cloudy&dark, then sunny, then cloudy & dark, then sunny...hahaha...I was doing laundry and one load went outside,next load in the dryer, next load outside...and so it went. lol It was stressful. BUT....it never did rain, just threatened. And yes, the clothes finally all got dried, even though some are hanging on hooks around the house still damp. They'll be dry by morning. ;)
Well have a great weekend girls.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  9:20:00 PM  Show Profile
I haven't been able to hang clothes on the line in over a month. The wind tears the clothes off the line and blows dust on them so they have to be washed over. I can't find any stronger clothes pins. It went over 90 today but the wind still blew.
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  8:16:54 PM  Show Profile
its hottt!!!!!!!!!92...no.no..im withering away. is it winter yet? what happened to spring. oh ya..we dont have spring here. only winter or summer. watering watering everyday now...

any girls in the area of the big fire down south here in arizona? lots of area and homes burned. now has moved into new mexico.. this one is really bad. paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  3:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi there, is everybody doing ok? How's the weathr treating ya'll? We are 78/gray/54% humidity and it's just sstarting to sprinkle at 7:30 pm. It's been a glorious Sunday....BUT....I really miss my Daddy today. He's been gone 2 years now. I never stop thinking of him!I know Mama doesn't either! Hug YOUR Daddy's for me will ya?!! Love yuns!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  9:26:19 PM  Show Profile
you know judy, i am feeling the same. my dads been gone six years. still like yesterday. for the first couple of years i still bought a card. took to moms where my dad's urn is.thats where it stayed. until my mom could put it away. miss him terribly..

weather is hot, dry,dry...noooooooooooo rain in sight. and wind....more tomorrow..paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16931 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16931 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  10:57:29 PM  Show Profile
paula, feel free to send some of your hot weather over to us here in the Spokane WA. area..
we are still stuck in the 'gloomies & rain"..oh joy! We haven't even gotten up to 80 degrees yet!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6366 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6366 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  06:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Ladies we Finally got our rain here in Florissant, CO it has been weeks and weeks since we had rain, we are just hoping it is enough to help the firefighters fighting the wildfires here in CO. They are hoping to have the Arizona fire contained tomorrow according to the National News, I sure hope they are right.
Thank you to all of our fire fighters across the United States.
FArmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  07:43:18 AM  Show Profile
Yes Debbie, many graces and blessings to all the firefighters from all over who have joined the crews to fight these terrible fires. Hey Grace...it is to be a bit warmer today...YEAH! I have to replant beans & hopefully things will take off again. I am soaking some beans for a few hours before I plant. You all have a good day.

Go to Top of Page

OKCookee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Chris
Oklahoma OK
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  09:12:22 AM  Show Profile
We are supposed to get rain here in OK, but, of course, not without the threat of severe weather with wind (which we already have), hail and tornadoes. But glad to hear there is rain where it is needed. Will keep praying for the wildfires to stop and all the firefighters out fighting them. Hugs, Chris
PS - I'll trade someone 60 mph wind gusts for some 60 degree weather!!

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest".
Matthew 11:28

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  2:24:51 PM  Show Profile
Haven't been on hear for a long time, so hear goes.
I would gladly send you all some of the rain we've been having all spring, which hasn't helped the flooding we've got going in the state. Just getting worse with every rain storm. Wish it all could head west to put out the fires. We've really not had a spring until now, which actually makes it two months late. We had snow in May! Everyone is getting so tired of the rain and cold, but the last couple of days it's been nice and warm, but going to get bad storm late this afternoon/evening and all through the weekend. I live in an summer tourist town and feel so sorry for everyone who comes out for the weekend or on vacation and the weather doesn't cooperate. But by next month and into Aug./Sept. we'll probably go into our drought mood and everything will dry up and we'll be under fire warnings. I can't believe how strange this past winter and spring have been for everyone all over the U.S. My heart goes out to all the people who have lost homes one way or another.
Was finally able to hang bedding and towels out on the line today. Haven't had too many good days to do that. They smelled so good! Can't wait to get into bed tonight and enjoy how fresh they smell.
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  10:56:19 PM  Show Profile
welcome back annie..we haven't met yet.. I live in the desert part of az. Boy has it been windy, dry and hot..of course no rain. Everyones weather is strange. I am hope for a little rain.. when it does rain it's down south toward phoenix. It seems everyone busy with gardening. It's been a tough time to get them going this year..there is so much to read though...did you read about kris dog getting a snake?yeck! Paula

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  11:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the "welcome back" Paula. My husband and I use to "winter" in Gold Canyon just south and east of Phoenix years before we settled down in the Black Hills. Spent a summer there too and know about the monsoons that come through the area. We even adopted a dog from the Apache Junction Dog Pound while we were down there our last year. Still have an aunt who lives in Young. Didn't get a chance to get in a garden this year because the rain was so constant - everything would have washed away or been water logged as soon I would have planted. So hopefully next year we'll have a real spring with just the right amount of rain. Had another bad storm last night - strong winds, hail, lightening and lots of rain. But we don't have to worry about flooding - we live on top of a mountain - but do get the lightning which has hit some trees up here.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  1:11:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello Annie and welcome back. We've had about 4 days without rain now, but the skys have looked like it was going to pour any minute. Strange. I felt like I was in Spokane, Wa. They have those big, gray clouds with the vibrant blue background. That's what we've been having. They almost look like snow clouds. Ok, there's a word I never thought I'd utter in June. lol
Oh...don't look now, but the sun is out. Wow! At least that's what I THINK it is. lol ooooo-ahhhhhhh. Preeeeetty!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  5:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
hello annie and welcome back. there's nothing like fresh clothes off the lines, huh girls? we've been getting rain more often than usual. it was in the 90s for weeks and muggy. i hate humidity and the a/c is my friend. rained just this morning and the humidity is gone, ahhhh! now i can breathe. the garden has been loving it. my bush beans are blooming and producing, will pick my first ones real soon.
picked my first blackberries the other day and made a double batch of jam after running them through the squeezo. you get everything, all the good stuff and no seeds, yay! i got 18 cups of jam and hubby is enjoying the "skimmings" on bread.
ya sissy (herblady55), snow is a bad 4 letter word and "ivy" is a bad 3 letter word. i have a spot on my leg and i wore boots and long clothes! i think i could wear saran wrap and still get it! lol

Patsy

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)

Edited by - craftbug on Jun 26 2011 5:31:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  4:22:20 PM  Show Profile
hahahahahaha Sissy, you're funny. Let's just hope it stays a (spot). After that time you had it so bad, when you still lived back here, I fear every time you say the word(ivy)! Ugh!!!
FrenchHugs Sissy!

PS Don't tell me, on those hot-muggy days, that you wouldn't have went out and plopped your hot-cross-buns in a snow-drift if you could have found one! lololol

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Jun 27 2011 4:25:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  08:41:47 AM  Show Profile
What's that saying? "Honey, I'm home?" Just returned from a 4000 mile trip in 9 days. Wheew! It was fun, went through 6 states and had the best weather for traveling when going to MO for granddaughters grad from basic training with the army and up into KS to vit hubby's kin. The return trip was hotter with wind all the way but just as good. We had rain in Kansas City and in NM but not unpleasant to drive in. It was 115 in Needles, CA as we crossed the state line but in the 90's at home after a week of 104+ according to neighbors. I was able to read everyones posts and catch up. My veggie garden is still doing good, attesting to the zucchini and squash in the refrigerator that my neighbor picked for me and I lost a fish in my aquarium due to heat in the house? and a chicken in the pen but all others and my birds in the aviary did fine. It was fun but am glad to be home.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page