annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  05:10:21 AM  Show Profile
Penny, I really like your little doll that you made for Gigi. It looks so soft and cuddely. You are so gifted and I think you can probably knit anything. Beautiful work. I am happy to hear that you were able to do such a big shopping and save 10%. Excellent!

Janet I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip.

Marianne, I like the dp usage. It can describe a "SO" so much better. Hope all goes well for them.

My dh will be going to the Amelia Maritime Museum today for a meeting about the treasure hunt ship that will soon be launched near the FL coast to hunt for sunken ship treasure. It is the same ship that Mel Fisher used to find the huge treasure back in the 80's. His son is now the captain and the group will soon be out looking. They are aware that there is a lot of treasure out off the coast just waiting to be found. Museum has some of the treasure displayed like gold coins, an old cannon, dishes and many other artifacts. Really interesting seeing all about that treasure that was found.

Me? I will stay home and catch up on some work to be done around here. Seems the clutter just keeps coming even though I don't know from where. Do you suppose that it could be me?? LOL

Hope you all have a great day. Ginny I miss you. Love you and hope you are getting along okay.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  05:57:07 AM  Show Profile
Janet, good luck getting everything sorted out for your trip. It sounds like a lot of work, but I suppose you will get to relax while you are camping so that will make it all worthwhile.

Nancy I think the idea of sunken treasure is fascinating. It must be so fun to see the finds at your museum. To think of all those lives ... not a very romantic ending though, I suppose. BTW, I am sure the clutter has nothing to do with you, because the clutter in my house has nothing to do with me!! Thanks for the good thoughts for my daughter and her guy.

We got some rain last night, but it stayed warm, almost 60 degrees. It should make all the plants very happy.
I went to a Margarita Momma Mocktail Baby Shower yesterday. It was the young lady's third child so she and her husband asked for no gifts. Guests were to bring an appetizer to share. I made wraps and then cut them up into pinwheels. I used whole wheat wraps and made a filling of cream cheese, crushed pineapple, bacon and teriyaki chicken and provided a sesame ginger sauce for dipping. It was pretty popular and I felt proud. It took quite a while with having to marinate and then BBQ the chicken, cook the bacon, press out every bit of juice from the pineapple .... By the time I pulled myself together into to something presentable for the shower I was wishing I could have just stuck a gift card in the greeting card! At the shower, you could mix your own mocktail - no alcohol. They had fixings for mojitos, sangria, iced mocha coffee, blueberry-tinis, just everything you could think of! Everyone just sat and visited and ate and drank and experimented with all kinds of juices. A very nice affair.

Looking forward to hearing how all of you spent your weekends.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  12:31:29 PM  Show Profile
hi gals! just stopping by for a minute to let you know that everything is ok down here in Texas with me and my fur babies. work has started getting busier and i am re arranging my workroom and re decorating it at the same time! could use a coat of paint and some curtains and that might have to wait until july but for now i am dreaming about it. have been re arranging my dh video collection so i could clear out one bookshelf to take back there for me....
will let you know when there is some progress!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  1:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

It is Monday afternoon. It is cloudy and rainy. The weathe just keeps going down hill all week. In the low 60's by Friday. What did I excpect? It is almost Memorial Day weekend. Could not possibly have good weather for that! LOL

Darlys Yosimite is on the list to visit. We spent a few days last summer at Yellowstone and still did not get to see all the waterfalls. Some you have to hike to and we did not have time for that. I don't know why I like waterfalls. They are just so beautiful and powerful.
What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing. It is always great to share memories like that. They make me smile. Even if they are not mine.

Kathryn your daughter is wrong. Things like that happen to me all the time. My Dh just throws up his hands in resignation. I tell him that is why God gave us to each other.
Alpaca poo can go straight on your garden. It is great. Chicken needs to be composted. It is really hi in nitrogen and can burn up your plants

Glenda what a wonderful long horn cow. Great pic. I am glad she moved for you.

Penny that is the cutest dall. You really are talented.
Way to go at work. We always new you where awesome now others know it as well. Congrats on the praise!!

Marianne and Bunny I think I like DP better than SO. I have a DS that has a DP and has had the same DP for over 6 years. They have 2 children. It would be hard for me to think of her as a SO. She is far more special than that sounds. Even if SO is politcaly correct.

It Monday on the alst week of school. It has been really quiet. All the seniors are gone and all I have are 5 juniors spread through out the day.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  1:47:54 PM  Show Profile
I am sooo far behind, but it looks like everyone has been busy and can only spend a few moments at a time on here. I am still suffering from the darn cold. I have had it for over two weeks. I am so zapped of energy. I really have to push myself to get anything done. I canned kraut on Saturday, and yesterday DH cut up 30 lbs of cabbage for more kraut. I canned 2 cases of tomatoes from the farmers market. Today, we had lunch with my sister, tidied up the house and have loafed! Thurs and Friday night something got into the chickens out at my mom's. We set traps out baited with canned cat food and caught a raccoon and an opossum the first night and 2 raccoons and another opossum last night. We have to pick up more canned cat food today. Saturday at the small animal auction I bought 5 copper moran chicks and 5 chicks that I have no idea what they are, but they were only 25 cents each..lol. I couldn't pass them up. DH bought 4 dozen Giant Pekin duck eggs. What in the world we are gonna do with them, I don't know! But they were a good buy as well...lol.

Well, I had better get moving. I need to make a grocery store run and then back to my folks to set some traps. :)

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on May 21 2012 1:56:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  2:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Patty, your yard looks like mine. We have a family of raccoons and two opossums running around at night

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  4:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,
Yesterday and today have been absolutely goregous days. Temperatures in the seventies. Bright blue sky. this afternoon clouds began to move in for the thunder showers that are expected tomorrow.

No sign of the missing guineas so I guess they were someone's dinner. The two remaining guineas are quite attached to each other. They are not as noisy as the others were. It would be nice if they were broody so we could have some chicks. I do not know how to encourage them to set on the nest.

I am glad to see a note from our Penny. I was beginning to wonder if work found Penny so wonderful that she did not have the time or energy to hop on occasionally. I am glad Penny that you are doing great and being recognized for it.

I am not allergic to capitals. Sometimes when I hit the cap key it does not engage as quickly as I hit the letter. I have given up going back and putting them in.

Janie I am glad you popped in. Do you work all summer as well or are you like a teacher and have the summer off?

Marianne I dream of ever having a flower garden so full that I would have to separate and give them away.

I have started making a house for the laying hens. I have decided I need to make a house they can go in at night and a yard that they will not be snatched out of . I am thinking I must put hen doors on several sides so I can have fenced yards to rotate them when one is all scratched up I can close that one off and open another.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  7:20:28 PM  Show Profile
I can't help but chuckle...
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/05/21/westerville-central-high-school-chickens-released.html

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  7:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, another busy day catching up indoors with laundry and dishes, plus went thrifting today, got alot of yarn, etc.
Penny, so glad you are getting praises for your hard work. Happy you like your job so much. Are you and hubby adjusting to you being gone more now?
Patty, what do you do with the critters that you catch? Hope they start staying away.
Holly, sounds like a chicken fence will work for you so you do not start losing your laying hens.
Dianne, bet you are looking forward to summer vacation.
Well, it is getting late, so more tomorrow,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  8:05:14 PM  Show Profile
Was just listening to the news as they were talking about "bald-faced hornets." They have white and black bodies instead of the regular yellow and black. Evidently they are very aggresive and have a smooth stinger so they can sting repeatedly. They say that you should have Benadyl handy if stung. I have not seen any, but because of our wet spring we have a tremendous amt of yellow jackets, hornets and wasps.

I will try to take a picture of my "vases" for the tomato plants, but until then, I got a roll of quarter inch hardware cloth, cut it at least 18"...not necessarily square. I started in the center bringing up the sides so that when fit down in a 10-12 " hole, the sides will be forced up. -(_)-. Out of the hole it would be shaped more like a bowl, but the dirt forces it into a vase fashion. After it is down in the hole, I add a little dirt to protect the roots, remove all the leaves that would be below ground and then put the tomato into the hole. Fill with dirt etc. The wire must be above ground so that wheh the gophers mound..the wire will be above it. I also fold down the edges so that ti isn't sharp. This is the second year I've used them. Never had a problem. I also planted a butterfly and hydrangea bush into their own "vases." I hope it makes sense. Blessings!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  8:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, thank you everyone for the nice things you have said about me....ya'll are the best....

I am going to only comment on this page 278, I think it will be to much to try and go back...since I'm so far behind.

Dianne, I've never been out west but that is a place I would like to visit one day too.

Patty, I know what you mean about being behind..lol... Great pics of the animals you got in the cage, thanks for sharing. More chickens? I sure wish my DH would hurry and get my pen finished because I really would love to have some chickens, even if it is just 2 or 3. The news story you shared was so funny.

Holly, sorry about your guinea's....my DH couldn't believe that they complimented me so soon after I started there..he said he knows I put my whole self into a job but that most bosses don't praise like they should...guess I got the lucky with mine. I did read the story about the beans...to cute...they tried to help didn't they? bless their hearts...

Janet, sure wish I could find yarn at a thrift store....but been so lucky lately that some friends sent me some and my DS bought me some for Mother's Day.

About the doll, thanks for the nice words...and it was so easy to make, I was so surprised...I just love it...the body was some left over yarn in the box one of my friends sent me and the dress was one of the skeins that my DS got me for Mother's Day.

I hate to vent and really I don't feel like I have a right since I haven't been on much but you ladies are my life line so please bear with me. Some of you may remember from near the end of the year when I spoke of my friend of 30 years...and how she got mad at me....well anyway...she did it again...well I should say about 3 times since then....anyway...don't really understand why...I think she misread one of my emails...anyway, I made the comment on my FB page that I was going to do some FB house cleaning and she said "Well delete me then...and I am sorry" Now I don't know what that was about but the next thing I noticed she deleted ME....so I have decided even tho I have know and loved her for 30 years that I don't need to continue putting up with her irrational behavior and hurtful words. She has post some of the most hurtful things on FB....when I think things like that should be private...anyway....I thought I would be upset that she deleted me...but I'm not...I feel like I have had a weight lifted off my shoulders...I don't have tiptoe around anymore around her or watch so closely with everything I say...so today...I've had the first stress free day I have had in a long time....Thanks for listening ladies, I love ya'll so much and I feel so blessed to call ya'll friends...I love that when I'm wrong you tell me, when I ask for advice you are honest, even if it may hurt, but most that you do it with love and concern. Somewhere along the way she lost her ability to do that...so thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's bedtime for me, got to get up at 530 for work...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  04:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs!!! It is a lovely day in the Ozarks!!! The sun is rising in the East and it looks to be a gorgeous day....unfortunately, if we don't get some rain we are going to be in trouble!!!!

Well, I am kinda upset, because I didn't get to go camping!!! The momma goat passed away and we have two infant kids to feed and deal with!!! So yesterday I did some cleaning and organizing that I have been putting off for quite some time. It was a really big job and I still have a little more to do today. But I am so excited that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...the baby goats are doing just fine...running and jumping and playing!

Penny, I absolutely love the doll you made...how creative! And congrats on all the inspiration at work! What a lift to be recognized at work...I remember those days! My boss now wouldn't praise anything! Don't get me wrong, he's a great boss, and he treats me good, it's just no kudos...it gets discouraging at times, but I just keep giving 100%.

Patty, wow, all those critters invading your poor chickens!!! They must be so upset! Does it slow down their laying? I don't have chickens yet and I am curious. But I plan on having a whole flock as soon as I can get a pen and a house built...any suggestions?

Holly, sorry about your guineas...dang coyotes! Well, at least that is our nemesis around here. Coyotes and hawks.

Claudia, great idea about the vases for plantings!!! I will keep it in the back of my mind!

Today I plan to plant potatoes in a 50 gallon barrel! I will put about 4 inches of top soil in the bottom then 4 inches of black sawdust on top of that and plant my seed potatoes on the sawdust. When they get about two inches above the sawdust, I'll dump 4 more inches of sawdust..etc. until we reach the top. then in September I'll dump the barrel over and pick up the potatoes....well, according to Grit magazine that's how it is supposed to work....we'll see!

Lots to do today....gotta go!!!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  1:13:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

We have windy, cloudy, rainy, and masty weather. It looks like it will be this way all week. :(
Not much will get done outside. :( There is a lot that needs done.

Patty what are going to do with your "varmits" now that you have caought them?

Holly what a neat idea. Having different hen yards. We just have one and it is all scratched up. Just dirt. We have a huge back yard that has 6 foot fence around it so we let them out to play in it.

Oh Patty that is just too funny LOL

Penny I brought the chickens home and the asked my DH when he thought the chicken pen would be done. If i waited for him to get the pen done we never would have had chickens. LOL

Penny has this behavior been recent. I mean in the last year or has it been going on for a while? I only ask because if it is out of character for maybe there is something wrong.
I do not do the facebook thing. My DD put me on there but I never go to it. I have heard of a lot of people with hurt feelings and angry or masty things said on it. I would rather handle people problems face to face.

Marylyn sorry about the momma goat. that is so sad. I am glad the babies are doing good. Sorry you have to take over as momma though.
Love the potato barrel idea. I must have missed that one in Grit.

One more day down and three to go. Listen to me. I am as bad as the students. LOL

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  1:22:28 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

I am writing early because my partner and I have a hot date tonight. We are going to Burlington to the Flynn Theater to see Bernadette Peters. The tickets were for this past Saturday but for some reason the show was changed to tonight. Not convenient at all but she must be close to 70 years old so I would guess there are not many road shows left. I remember her as a fabulous entertainer. I think I saw her sing on the Merv Griffin show when I was young.

Today was a lovely day here in the Green Mountains. It was overcast and sprinkled off and on. the temperatures are in the sixties. The black flies are biting but not swarming and dive bombing.

I found some guinea eggs that I would like to send to Patty. I am not sure how that works. How fresh do they need to be to hatch? How do you treat eggs that you want to hatch. I have not put them in the refrigerator they are on the counter. Let me know.

I am glad I do not need to worry about gophers or moles in my garden. Opossums do not come this far north although I have heard they are in the southern part of the state. If it was coyotes who took the guineas they were very quiet about it. sometimes they howl and set up a ruckus I have not heard them recently.

I have a question for everyone to ponder. If you won Powerball what would you do with your millions?

Have a good evening. Sweet dreams.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  5:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Dianne, this has been going on for years...I used to be a follower and when I was with her, things were always great, in the last 15 years or so I started speaking up and quit letting her lead me around and making all the decisions....when I started that, she started getting mad at me for stupid things every few months. Before my Momma died in 2006, my friend and I had spoken for over a year and a half, she had been very hateful towards me many times and I had had enough, but my Momma begged me to give her another chance, she said I was going to need her after she(Momma) died, so I did...things have never been the same, and every few months she would get mad either because I wouldn't just drop everything and go off on a trip with her or she would get mad because I couldn't do something with her because my DH and I were busy...things like that....part of this last time, she got mad because she wanted to come visit Mother's day weekend and I told her my son was coming and I wanted to spend it with her...so she said, guess you don't want to spend time with me...I said it isn't that, it's just that I haven't seen David in awhile...then last week, she got upset again...not really sure exactly why but next thing I know she deleted me from FB and sent me a tx and said she didn't want to talk anymore, then DH told me that about a month ago he asked her why we just couldn't get along and she told him that she didn't have to talk to me and that she was just about at that point...well he didn't tell me this until yesterday...anyway....I'm a little sad that after 30 years this is how she acts...but also relieved that I don't have to cry over her hurtful words and actions anymore. The last time she was here she spent the whole weekend in the house on my computer, she never talked to me or anything, just cause she got mad at her boyfriend, at least I think that was the reason...so as far as things go it is a relief for me....thanks for listening

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#

Edited by - Acelady02 on May 22 2012 5:29:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  7:39:18 PM  Show Profile
Penny, I know how that can hurt, but you are doing the right thing by just letting it be. If she wants to be your friend, she will get ahold of you.
Holly, If I won the power ball, I would make sure my family was taken care of, thenn I would donate the rest. Too much money can make for one big headache!!!!!! I have been poor all of my life and learned all my life that money is not as important as family and friends. I do not need much to be happy.
Claudia, I would like to see a picture of your "vases" I have an idea what they look like though.
Marylyn, sorry you were not able to go camping. Hopefully you can go sometime soon. So sorry about losing your mamma goat. Glad the babies are doing well. Planting potaotes in a barrel sounds like it would be easier than doing it in a 2 square foot raised bed. Mine are not coming up yet, but the rest of my garden is starting to pop up.
Diane, woohoo!!!! 3 more days for you. I bet you have plans already made for next week.
Well ladies, time for bed. Have a wonderful evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  8:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Just on here for a minute.... heading to bed. Went back to Dr to get something for this cold that I have had for 2 weeks! She gave me an antibiotic, steroid, and some tesslon pearls for the cough. Anyway, hopefully I am on the road to recovery. The varmits were relocated. But the problem is not solved. We set out the 3 traps again last night near the chicken coop and they found there way to the other side of the barn and killed all but one of my dad's homing pigeons. Traps are set again tonight. Poor barn cat has to go into a pet carrier each night to make sure she does not get into the traps.
Holly- I have heard that the eggs are good for up to 10 days. I set some of my mother's guinea eggs and none of them were fertile. :( They can't have been refrigerated and should be placed in an egg carton and turned over several times a day. Mom just sits them on a counter and turns the entire egg carton over each time. We just hatched out a bunch or brown leghorn chicks and have quail hatching now. We only have 25 hens laying and today we collected 28 eggs. Yes quail can lay more than 1 egg a day.
Marylyn- I am so sorry you lost the momma goat. That is so sad.
Penny- My Daddy always has told me that I would be able to count my TRUE friends on one hand. He has had 2 lifelong friends. I think he may be right.
Well off to bed, I am under the influence of cold medicine. :)

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

Memeloveshorses
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Mercedes
Seattle Washington
USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  10:54:16 PM  Show Profile
Yes I am turning 56 in July! Life is just beginning
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  05:24:38 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Mercedes! Take some time to tell us a bit about yourself. Congratulations on your great view of life in your 50s!

Patty-I am so glad you got some meds to knock out that cold. It sounds like it was starting to win the fight! So sorry to hear that your dad lost his pigeons. That must have really upset him. My neighbor lost three chickens last night - and she really should have put another down ... She has been very lucky because her set up isn't really what it should be to keep them safe. Which makes me mad. DH went down to help her safeguard it, but she knew more than he did and you really can't help when that is the case. We warned her so many times... needless.
Penny - it would be very hard to give up on a long-standing friendship. It does sound like you have put in the time and effort, though. And the fact that you are relieved speaks volumes to the support letting go. I hope you don't hurt too badly. As far as your work, some people just inspire praise early and often, like you!

Dianne, keeping your countdown going! Two down, two to go...

Marylyn, so glad the babies are doing well and your duty will soon lessen as far as they are concerned. Sad that you lost the mama.

Claudia, I missed the bald-faced hornet alert. That doesn't sound so great. Guess I will check the news websites.

Holly I think your chicken condo sounds like first class digs. You have some great ideas and the energy to get them done. I admire that!

Dd did find an apartment with her fella. It is nice looking, medium range, practical. We are going to shop for a mattress pad and garbage pail, stuff like that today. I want to help out some more. They are good kids and everything is so expensive... She will be "here" only 8 more days. SIGH. I know, I'll live. Really it is this next week that I dread. Once she has left, I know we will just pick up and move on with our relationship in a different way. It is just when she drops by and walks in with her dog, I think, "Oh I will miss this." Or when I get up ( like this morning) and I see that she has prepared my coffee for me while she was here yesterday. It is just such a sweet "I love you." OK, next subject. The computer screen is getting bleary, if you get my drift.

Dh said he would try to be home most of June knowing that dd is leaving May 30. He is going to help her move on the 30th-31st. Be home for Sat/Sun and then leave for four days the next week. Kinda blows the "supportive" plan. Then he travels for two days the next week, home for a week and gone for the entire last week. So home 9 out of 20 work days in June. His travel is supposed to be 25%. And June is a very light month. This week is the first week he has been home ALL week in over 9 weeks. 25% my you-know-what. It isn't his fault of course, but you get tired of companies demanding more and more. I think workers are about ready to rebel. The corporations have been in the drivers seat for quite a while. Small businesses are having such a hard time and the big guys just keep cutting corners and everyone's jobs. (Soap box has been removed. Sorry for the rant.)

We have had rain for the last three days. It has stayed fairly warm 50s -60s. Looking forward to the weekend warm up that is predicted. We are planning on seeing MIB3 and BBQing veggie burgers. Sorry, we have been beef free since '99. Too many trips to Europe where madcow is rampant. When the blood bank wouldn't accept dh's blood because he had traveled to England. It made us really think about whether madcow could be in the US. We decided better safe than sorry. Personal choice, no judgment. We don't raise our own beef and have to depend on the USDA to keep it safe.

Wow, I have really hit some downer issues ... I promise not to stay in this vein. Please have patience with me in the coming days and weeks. I am gonna be floundering a bit. Time for me to grow up. Funny, it's my kid that's moving away so you would think SHE would be the one to have to grow up, but I feel like it's more me!
marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  05:35:44 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Mercedes. You will love it here. The ladies are the best, so caring and ready to listen. Just jump in and join the conversations.

I am finishing up on some of my old projects like sewing aprons and finishing 2 dolls. The mystery quilt I am making is finally taking shape. I am glad I am only making a throw size because there is so much piece work involved.

I am doing housework today, for a change. My hardwood floors will be done and I am getting rid of some of the "stuff" I have. I also plan to clean out a couple of dresser drawers and put in some drawer dividers that I bought at the thrift store.

DH planted seven plants out in front yesterday. They look really nice and he did such a nice job of placing them. Suggles had to get in on the action by sitting there on the dirt.

The weather is perfect this morning with just a nice breeze and 70 degree temp. I spent about 15 minutes just watching the squirrels jump and run in the branches of the pine trees behind our house.

Hugs and squeezies all you great ladies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  05:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Patty, glad you got some meds to shake that cold. Hope you feel better real soon. Sorry to hear about your father's pigeons. The varmits must be hungry after coming out of hibernation, and of course, the go after whatever they can.
Welcome Mercedes. This over 50s group in the greatest. You will like it here.
Marianne, Yes, it is hard to let your children leave the nest. It will take awhile to get used to it, but with all the tecnology we have now, you can talk to her daily if needed. I am sure it gets lonely with hubby travelling all the time. Wish I lived closer, I would be there for you, I think I would be good company.
Nancy, What a great hubby you have to plant. Mine does not know anything about anything, but he at least helps me get my gardens ready for planting, if I supervise. We have a big gigantic oak tree in the front and it is full of squirrels. It drives Olivia crazy. Plus they dig big holes in the yard, burying and digging up the acorns. They are fun to watch though, they get silly sometimes. Busy little creatures.
Well, off to get ready to go out for breakfast with my sister. We have been going out on Wednesdays for over 20 years now. A nice get together for an hour or so. More later,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  07:37:46 AM  Show Profile
hi gals!
I work all summer, in fact, it is the busiest time of the year for me. i have to audit all the textbooks for 30 campuses, restock the warehouse, and probably enter in several hundred entries of computers, printers, etc in our system that they wait to order until the last minute for the new school year. I use to work 12 hour days trying to keep up but when my dh died i just couldn't do it anymore and don't even try to. Auditing is really hard this year because we are closing 8 campuses and they have to be counted first and the rooms are awful, dirty, dark and pretty much in a mess. One campus that has already been closed used to have snakes in their bookroom, i always had to be on the look out in there.
will be working on my "workroom" this holiday weekend...so excited , finally getting it where i want it to be and without any one commenting on "how" it should be done! yipee. first though have to mow the back yard friday-yuck--
oh my brothers that live 20 minutes away have always grown a garden but they decided this year that it was cheaper to buy in the store than to pay to haul water out to their place. bleh, was looking forward to some okra and lettuce! oh well, hope everyone is doing ok and praying for all of you!
hugs
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  08:01:24 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Mercedes! I think you are really going to love it here! Everyone is so friendly and supportive...

It is a beautiful morning in the Ozarks! The sun is shining and the temps are headed toward the 80's....will hit 95 by Sunday!

We adopted out the orphaned baby goats! Too much we want to do this summer...my cousin's daughter and her family adopted them, so I know they will be well taken care of,,,we even sent their bag of goats milk! Expensive! Precious babies! We've never done that before, we've always raised baby animals...yes, they are a pain, yes, they are always underfoot....but, but....good-bye, babies.....

Gotta run to the Bluff today to buy grocery supply and hubby needs new jeans. Gotta stop by to see my aunt in the nursing home while we're there. We'll stop for lunch then home to do laundry and get ready for work tomorrow....whew!

Patty, glad to hear the egg production is still up!

Gotta run!!!!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  1:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Good Afternoon All

Holly have fun at the show. I did not realize she was that old. Funny I thought of her as closer to my age. (51) Funny how we veiw actors.
Whta would I do with the millions. I would pay off all my bills and my kids bills. Then set up trust funds for my grand kids education. I know I would do those things. After that I am a sucker for a sob story so I would probably give lots away. LOL I would also like to travel. My DH and I enjoyed the few short term mission trips we went on so we would probably do some of those.

Penny that is really sad that she is that way. But you are right to just walk away. It sounds to me like you where her escape and you should always be there for her. Very self centered of her. I use to have a friend like that. I think we probably all know people like that.

Janet I have plans but not wild ones. We have been working to pay off bills so we can get the place we have dreamed of. Bad decisions money wise put us in a tight hole but we are almost out. WooHoo!! Just a couple of more months. :)

Mercedes Welcome to this wild and crazy group. Tell us about yourself.

Marianne I know the felling "oh so well" My youngest DD is still at home but her and her fiance are looking for a place. I know they need to go out on their own but I will miss her so much!! Not her piles of laundry LOL That girl has more clothes than the other 5 kids did put tgether. LOL

Janie All it would take would be one snake and I would be out of there. You have way more courage than I do.

Matylyn At least you know they will be well taken care of.

2 more days Yipee!

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  4:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Hello everybody,

Guess you are all getting ready for Memorial Weekend. I hope to be home resting on that day. My daughter is trying to finish her school year and those of you who are in that field know what I mean, just trying to get to that last day. All the kids are antsy and the teachers have had it!!
Patty, I sure hope you got the right meds to get yourself well, girlfriend....my gosh you have had a rough time for a while now. And those critters you caught? I would have "re-homed" those suckers a few feet under. They will show up every night and work on the pen until they finally make themselves an opening. Just building the pen isn't enough, you've got to check it every day for signs they are working on it===the voice of experience!!!

Penny, girlfriend, glad you decided to drop the drama queen friend----you don't need that. I know the type. If she's been like this for years, why would you expect anything different now? You know the saying, "People do change, but they don't change much".
When someone is that draining to be around, their agenda is not to get better, it is to drag you down with them. Don't let it happen.

Marilyn, your post about how to plant the potatoes was really interesting--I'd like to try that. I am wondering where would you get the sawdust and be sure it is not from treated wood? Sorry about the mama goat. We get attached to our animals and it is sad when they don't make it.

Holly, here is what I would do with my millions: A few years back I worked as a CASA/GAL, and learned that there are so many young women who fall through the cracks,they don't know what to do but what their mothers did: get married, get pregnant, not necessarily in that order, and then live a life of helplessness and dependency. I would have a place for those young women to get educated, not the things they learn in school, but how to deal with life. How to manage money, how to provide healthy food for their children regardless of their budget, how to take pride in themselves and their homes, how to clean properly, how to grow a small garden, how to leave an abusive situation, I would expose them to good food, good music, show them there is a better quality of life, teach them that if they depend on the government, the government will get to decide what their lives will look like, if they depend on themselves, they get to control their own lives and their own destiny. I would try to re-program their thinking from negative to positive, show them that they really do have value, they really do matter, they really can make a difference. And that their bodies belong to them, nobody else. A lot more but that's the basic idea. Put them in an atmosphere where they would become motivated to do better for themselves and their children. I think it could be done. Also I would donate heavily to the existing shelters for women and children.
Marianne, I know you will get through the "empty nest" thing---it isn't fun---I have only two children, a son and a daughter. The day my son left home and his room was empty (and clean for the first time), was so awful. But you do get through it and they come back as soon as you turn their room into a sewing or craft or exercise room. However, When my daughter left home to go to college I left as well. I had been waiting for her to leave the nest so I could go. But that's another story.

Happy Memorial Day to all you chickie-poos I missed but this post is long enough.
love and hugs to all

Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page