rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  04:15:01 AM  Show Profile
Claudia, that was very helpful, thank you, Sunset Garden Book is my favorite source, too.

I will try to keep everyone posted on my posting!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  05:09:06 AM  Show Profile
Good morning... off to the market we go for the last weekly trip until after harvest! Then to my farmgirl meeting tonight, and a animal auction tomorrow morning. I promised hubby I would not buy more chickens...lol. I went back to the lady I got the silkies from and bought 3 Crele Old English bantams. These have been show birds so they are very touchable. :) They are so pretty.

Claudia- I love the vase idea. Can you post some pictures of how you do it? We see alot of praying mantis here too, but usually not until later in the summer after it warms up more. I never knew those were cocoons for praying mantis. I have destroyed them. Now I know. I won't be doing that anymore.

Marianne- I use Blogspot for my blog and find that it is pretty self explanatory. I need something pretty much "fill in the blanks"...lol.

Janet- My cousin took her bunny "April" to the vet for an abcess on her foot. It cost my cousin $110 for the vet visit. The vet said "You know it is just a rabbit"... she responded "But she is part of the family now".

Kathryn- I am glad you were approved for SS disability. I hear it is usually a long battle. And the chickens to have some pretty fluffy feathers, but they are feathers..lol.

Joan- I think Silkies are beautiful chickens too. Alot of city people have them for pets. My mothers eye doctor has a white one and they put a dowel rod through a plastic clothes basket and she stays perched on it all day and watches out the patio doors, while they work.

Marylyn- I hope the goat finds the will she needs to survive. That is so sad. Have a wonderful time in the wooods! Don't forget to take your potty bucket along. :)...lol

Thelma- Where we live here in Illinois and our home in Ohio are in the same planting zone. And they both are right on the line at zone 5 - 6 . I think we need to move just a little more south...lol.

Holly- I hope your guineas come back. Hopefully they just went into hiding for a day or two. You do take beautiful pictures. The nice think about digital is you can have only the pictures that you like printed. Paying $10 or $15 for a roll of film and processed and then have a bunch of pictures that you don't want to save is such a waste. I use my I-phone to take most of my pictures these days. I have over 4,000 pictures on my I-phone. Crazy! But I take pictures of everything!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  05:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.
More rain expectied today. I am so glad. Our ponds are way down and the animals in the forest need the water.

Mr. Kitty caught 3 mice or rats yesterday. He is such a hunter, and we get so many "gifts" from him. Snuggles tries to get in on the act but she just doesn't know how to play so she watches the cat.

I went to the eye doctor yesterday and all seems to be the same with my eyes. Even with my glasses I am not seeing as sharp as I would like to. I think I will have the cataract surgery this summer when I get back from CA. My left eye sees on one level and my right eye sees about 1/4 lower when each eye is tested seperately. No wonder I have perception difficulties. Actually my left eye is so donminant that it just takes over.

Claudia so nice to hear from you. It has been a while.

Thelma sounds like you are really getting a lot of gardening done. I was outside yesterday planting some flowers and the bushes I bought. DH was there to help. He is a good gardener and things grow so much better for him.

My mystery quilt that I am making for my niece is testing my patience. I cut all these little pieces (triangles) and am now sewing them together. I am really learning a lot and am thankful for the book I got to help me.

Well, so far today I am doing laundry and will make some phone calls today. The dog hogged the bed last night so I didn't sleep as well as usual. DH is still sleeping so I have time to have a quiet breakfast and get to some sewing.

Hugs and squeezies to all of you.

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Farm Girls!

Sunny and hot again today; chance of rain on Sunday, though…

Claudia, I think the brown ones are called "walking sticks"; when they stand still they look just like a twig on a branch. It's really great you have these "natural" pest eaters. I have these little, tiny red things that look like spiders chewing on my strawberry plants… I could use a praying mantis or two here, lol.

The "vase" thing is new to me…what is it all about? Varmits stealing radishes is kind of odd, isn't it? Who would have thought…lol

Holly, I love taking pictures, but my camera isn't quite as yours, but someday…,who knows. Digital is definitely better and much cheaper in the long run too…

Running with the kiddos can be fun, but exhausting; I remember well…lol Hopefully you have a decent break before the next cycle begins.

Wow, Janet, is that right? Isn't "global warming" supposed to be warming up the temps? Hahaha 46 degrees? Brrrrrr!

Marianne, I have been working on developing my own blog, as well. I'm not sure if I doing it right, but we'll see. I'm using "talkspot" its free unless you get so many signed up to follow you that you have to upgrade. They also have free advice when you need it. I suppose, though, that many of the blog sites have that, huh? I don't know.

Patty, you're right about the long battle; it's taken me nearly 13 years to get this far.

Nancy, don't have cataract surgery, we can dissolve it without surgery…it'll take longer, about 6-8 months, but it might be worth it to you. You'll have to use 2 meds and Doc said he would be fine with sending you some. I'll let you know the cost in a return email if you want…send me e-mail if you're interested.

I will be getting some gardening done before the season is over; I will, I will…

I so want to make a quilt, but I've only done a patchwork one back when I was a kid; I didn't do the whole thing, though, so I really don't know what to do. Anyone have a suggestion for something simple, maybe, to start me off?

Well, work is the phone is shouting at me…talk to you all later.

Squashes and Hugs!

Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  09:46:57 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone

Today is the last day for the seniors. It is more like a party day than a work day. At least for me. i have mostly seniors. LOL

Janet thank you. I think she is beautiful even if she looks more like her dad than me. LOL

Patty those are cute chikens. I don't have silkies. I just may have to get some.

Marianne I will pray for a job for you DD. It would be nice for to get one she has training for.

Marylyn I hope that it is nothing seriuos with the moma goat. I will send a prayer for her. I didn't know goats have no will to live. Sad to think they are like that. I will say a prayer for you too. All that bottle feedin gwill keep you busy.

Claudia that is a cool pic.

Kathryn I am loike you. I will get a garden planted I will I will LOL. There just so much going on and this place did not have a garden to statr with. We are putting in raised beds but money and time are in short supply right now. My DH has to work Saturday so not too much will get done. I do want to out in a strawberry tower like Holly. I wish I had all the manure to put in it. Sometimes we can get it from one of the dairies or feedlots but I always wonder what has gone into the cow. Do I really want what has come out the other end to plant my garden in?

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  10:22:05 AM  Show Profile
I didn't know praying mantis have cocoons. Wow, I will go check in my garden for some. I hope we have them.

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  12:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Boy is the wind blowing, and has been blowing for the past 48 hours. It is in the low 80,s but that hot wind is horrible. I just read your new posts and some older ones and I have a question. How in the heck does anything survive in the plant world? I guess it doesn't matter what zone we live in - it is to cold, to hot, not enough rain, to much rain, wildlife help themselves, neighbors spray, the list goes on. I guess God knows what he is doing so I'll just be patient and see what happens even if all my transplants are thirsty and wind whipped. Happy gardening chickie poos - giggle -.

Kathryn, I hope your morning went better than yesterday. How did you ever get to the station without destroying your rims? You know what I don't trust - that little doughnut of a spare tire that comes standard on most vehicles these days. You mentioned wanting to quilt. don't start with a large quilt. Start with a small wall hanging or table runner. That way you won't be so overwhelmed. Work up to bigger projects as you gain confidence. Also choose a simple pattern - no curves or triangles to start out. If you like I will gladly send you an easy table runner pattern.

Marylyn - I hope your goat is doing well and getting stronger..I never realized that they give up their will to live.

Holly - Cannon cameras are good. I just got a new Nikon this spring. I was going to purchase a Cannon until I found out that any Nikon lens will fit any Nikon camera while Cannon has different lenses for their different series of cameras. (make sense?) I do not like to play around with my photos on the computer, I have 2 lenses but need the third one for extreme closeups (a bee on a flower - the tiny toad under a rock). Until I save up $400 for the lens I will have to be content with computer enhancement or take pictures of bigger things. If you change a picture to much it loses its appeal. By the way chickies, any camera will take a good picture if you know how to handle it. Doesn't have to be expensive to be a good one. Also don't need extra lenses, but a zoom lens is nice.

Janet - BRRRRRR How about taking some of my wind in exchange for about 25 degrees warmer (for you)? giggle

Nancy, good luck with your quilt. I hope you can post a picture when it is done. I just love to enjoy other people's quilts

Claudia and Marianne - I am surprised that you are in zone 5ish. About an hour south of me I hit zone 5. You have so many varities to choos from. i want to establish native grasses but they just don't do well here.

Patty - I love your compost saying at the end of your posts. You will be so proud of me as I bought a compost barrel for my county conservation office. My son set it up for me on May 5th and I have been a faithful composter ever sense - because a rind is a terrible thing to waste! giggle

I am going to have a busy weekend so will check in again on Monday. Stay happy sister chicks.

Edited by - Thelma on May 18 2012 12:13:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  1:44:00 PM  Show Profile
Holly - Awesome pictures! Are you submitting them to National Geographic? They are amazing and I bet there are magazines out there that would pay to publish them. I know I'm late popping in - but count me among the members of the Leo Fan Club. What a gift! I could get all mushy here about the care you have given each of your children, but I'll just say: What a mother! Speaking of "mother" - you lucky lady to get raspberry bushes. Holly, your kids might not realize it, but you are the mother many wish they'd had. Oh, and the cow in the field story was priceless.

Joan - thank you so much for the praying mantis picture.

Karen - I remember being fresh on the Farm. That was July of last year. It seems like some of these women have been friends forever ... and perhaps they have been, but in my heart. I read somewhere that "In a friend you find a second self." I don't know who said it. There are "second self" women here. We can thank MJF for connecting us.

Patty, That is a really cute picture of you at the chop block! The chickies are cute, too. And - Yay! You passed your stress test AND got some really unique and beautiful chickens to boot! June is my Farmgirl month. I get to meet you AND Nancy! I think you and I should have lunch in Carmel. Or maybe Pacific Grove.

What your daughter wrote about your granddaughters is absolutely wonderful! Those are some fortunate girls to have a mother who "gets it!"

I just remembered that you mentioned a blogging book. Your blogs are terrific and if they are any indication of what you gleaned from the book you mentioned, perhaps you could fill me in on title, author, and where to obtain it? I was inspired by Glenda to start a blog. I'm using blogspot. My attempts are so pathetic to date that I'm not even willing to share the address yet.

Dianne - so glad you had a good weekend. You are right about your DD being cute and perfect. The alpaca doesn't look real! You are a waterfall fan? You would love Yosemite in the springtime! The waterfalls are amazing. And there are so many of them!

Kathryn - we are all glad you are feeling better. And also glad you are getting SSI. (The quick version of the difference between SSDI and SSI is that SSDI is based on wages you've earned, SSI is not, it is based on circumstances.) Yeah, I spent some time as a dreaded HR manager, too.

Glad you had someone to take care of your flat. I've only had to call CSAA a couple of times in the past many, many years. Maybe it's only a flat tire - but it is stressful - and it has to be fixed if you want to go anywhere.

Marianne - Wow! Your flowers are fabulous! Do you have a problem with peach leaf curl? I have the one peach tree here and it seems like every couple of years I have to go out and hand pick each infected leaf off the tree to keep it in some semblence of health.

And, yes, it is kinda like winning the lottery when the delivery guys show up on the early end of the "time window." Actually, I don't know I've ever had that happen before!

I so much appreciate your kind words about my having those gorgeous gardens after we move.

Porcupines are not on my list of critters I want to encounter - ever.

Count me in the numbers who are saying they wished they could have taken architecture classes. Even without making it a career, it could be a wonderful influence on life-balancing. Closest I ever came to architectural design was when I sketched, and had built, some bookcase doors for our Cupertino house. I was glad to have had a good rapport with a fellow who was able to understand and interpret my designs and make them happen. It would have been easier if I'd known how to express my ideas on paper. The doors are marvelous!

Boston Legal was one of my all-time favorite series. They wrapped that up nicely, too. But I still missed it. Great writers!

Oh, those scones your daughter made sound heavenly! Do you have a recipe - or are you going to make me try to find it by googling?

Ahhhh, yes .... tomato plants. I think I held everyone captive with my tales of tomato plant/deer woes last year. What they didn't eat, they took bites out of and then spit the rest on the sidewalk. Enough said. I am so wanting to plant "food" - and those vases sound like they might be the ticket. In Oakhurst we have more gophers per acre than people in the whole county.

I wonder if we have any praying mantis in Oakhurst - or Cupertino. I haven't seen any - but now will keep my eyes peeled for signs or actual evidence.

Sometimes it's hard to get the juices flowing to write here. I think I'm in slump. Not depressed. Just a slump. I'm smelling the scent of the jasmine coming in through the kitchen window and it just makes me lazy. I don't want to do anything.

I agree with you, Gypsy. We need the Pattys and Marylyns and others to get all those things, that we put off, done. I could use a little Martha Stewart help right now. See that basket full of ironing. And the other one full of dirty laundry? And the other one full of disorganized craft stuff, and the diningroom table full of fabric and other sewing stuff and ewww, the windows need washing .... and .... and, and, oh by the way, the car needs to be washed, too ... and filled with gas. Well, you get the idea - I'm in a slump. I need a Martha.

By the way - Desperate Housewives .... great finale! And the finalists on DWTS deserve to be there!

Auntie M -- Happy to hear you had such a successful picnic. I'm not surprised that you got compliments on the food. What you were describing had my mouth watering. And congratulations - did I read that right? You now have 3 sets of twins? Is that normal?

Ginny - I miss you.

Bunny - Are you pushing through finals? Waiting to hear what you are up to.

I have never been a teacher of any kind. I salute all of you educators - and those who have taught or are teaching special children (some in difficult circumstances) - you are wonderful. My gifts lie elsewhere and I'm always impressed by how differently-talented we all are.

Thelma ... first ... how are you feeling? Will be waiting to hear what the Mayo Clinic comes through with. I pray it will be positive news.

Your teaching techniques are inspiring. I would have loved to have had you as a teacher. My growing up years were not the finest. Although I wouldn't have been considered a special needs kid, nobody could figure out what to do with me - so, not much. I take that back. I had one aunt who was marvelous - she would fire up my imagination - but my mother would get mad at her for putting "foolish ideas" into my, already-firing-on-all-right-brain-cylinders, head.

Cameras -- I am photography-challenged. But my IPhone seems to serve my needs. Except for posting on MJF.

Kathy - Such a story! your Jenny is a fine girl/woman. Her interests have more than a few of us intrigued. I, too, have something that may be of interest to her - if you will e-mail me your address. It has to do with Native Americans ... it's in Oakhurst so I can't really describe it now - but Jenny may find it interesting.

Nancy! Meant to tell you I have The Book of Awesome, too. Not for a MJ badge - just thought it might be fun. It is. That lemon verbena with the roses that Eric's friend Walt just brought me do smell fantastic. Now I need a good recipe using the lemon verbena. Any suggestions - other than ice cream (which Walt already suggested)?

One of the 3 pastors who presided at Larry's and my wedding ceremony called a bit ago to get driving directions to our place in Oakhurst. He and his wife (also a pastor at our marriage) are going to be visiting for a week in the latter half of June. I worked for him for about 8 years - back in the day. They now live in Tucson. He was saying that he had brought Renee to the airport as she is keynote speaker at a conference in Indianapolis and he decided to take himself to see The Avengers. Said it was a pretty good action film. Then he stopped for an Americano Latte at Starbucks and remembered how we would walk from the church to downtown Los Altos and sit at the counter by the open air windows and gossip about the passers by. (Nothing bad, folks, nothing even remotely negative.) It just brought back a pleasant memory. He would always buy my coffee as I was a single parent, working 2 jobs and just managing. I guess I just wanted to share because he and his wife were/are incredibly good, kind and fun people and I wish they lived closer.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. We are off to Oakhurst tonight.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on May 18 2012 2:00:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  4:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, It's really windy here too and they say it's going to last for a few days. Well, what am I talking about, it's almost always windy here; it is Oklahoma, after all.
My day did go much better today. My rim was already damaged from the last time I had tires put on, but it didn't get worse, thank goodness. I only went to the gas station, which isn't far. I aired it up there and again 16 miles later, so it made it to where I got it changed out. I have a real tire for a spare, but no jack, so I discovered. *heavy sigh* Only me; that's what my daughter says, that stuff like this only happens to me. *shrugs* Oh well, what can I say...
I think you're right about something small; I really want to do a bigger one, but I think I would get a bit overwhelmed and have to put it away for a while. So, okay, I'll start small. Your runner pattern would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ; D

Dianne, no my place didn't have much of anything…well, except weeds, that is. Lol

I think I will use some chicken and alpaca droppings from a couple of my friends here (one is a sisterhood FG, by the way, but has never been on here). I've gotten as far as preparing a plastic bin for composting. While my pain is better, my energy level is not, except in small spurts. But, I will have something in before too very much longer; I will! *stamping foot* lol

Darlys, I haven't shared my blog address either. My daughter says I'm putting too much in it, but a friend says no. I just don't know. It's about the things I'm passionate, so why not several things? I'm passionate about more than one or two things…right? What do you think?

Thanks for the info on SSI. So, do you think I should continue to pursue SSDI, then? Or should I just stay with the SSI and let go at that?

I, too, was a single mom working 2 or 3 jobs just to squeak by every month; It's a hard life, but I can thumb my nose at those people who frequently say that children raised by a single mom almost always grow up to be losers that get into trouble. Mine did not; they are, for the most, part good, hard-working adults, so there… Sorry, pet peeve of mine; I get so sick of hearing that, is all.

Well, I jump off this band wagon and let you all go on about your business…lol Have a great weekend, my friends.

Love and Hugs to all of you!

Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  5:00:38 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

No sign of the missing guineas yet. I still have hope but that is all just hope. the two that are remaining are a male and a female. They were very quiet yesterday but today started their squawking so maybe the others will hear them and return if they are alive.

Glenda posted a few pages back asking if Leo were a talker would he still be Leo. I have pondered that question. I wonder if a spaceship landed and asked if there were anything I would like to have would I ask for Leo to speak? It is such a hard question. Would it change his very nature?

We are zone 3 although some maps say zone 4. We do get the very cold temperatures.

Today was absolutely gorgeous out. The temperatures were in the seventies and a light breeze. Not a cloud in the sky. I have one bee hive. the bees did not survive the winter although in March there were live bees in the hive. I think maybe the queen died early on. She was about four years old or so. I do not know if that is old for a queen but think about laying 60,000 eggs a season. anyway, I cleaned out the hive and will order new bees for this year. I took the honey super off the top. I think it might weigh about 30 pounds. A friend who gets manure from me has a honey extractor so we have a date for Sunday afternoon to extract the hone. Ross licked the honey off the extra pieces of comb that the bees had put on the frames. He thought that was very special.

The hawks glided over today. My camera was in the house. I took it out to the garden with me and they did not return.

I see in the garden that the leeks are starting to come up and there are a couple of cabbages on the rise as well. All in good time. I wish I had beautiful flower gardens like many of you. I am happy right now with my rosa rugosa, day lilies and phlox.

Last fall I had a brainstorm about where to put the window boxes for the winter. Now I can not find them.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

farmsisterbrenda
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Brenda
Howard City MI
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  5:24:48 PM  Show Profile
I am 54 and think I am doing more after 50 than I did earlier in my life!
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  5:25:33 PM  Show Profile

Well, I did something right on this pic--it posted on the first try. I wanted to do the pic first so if it didn't work I wouldn't have wasted the message. This gal was standing in the middle of my road when I went to town this morning. She and her sisters are there to eat the grass and weeds so I won't have to mow it. They are doing a pretty good job. Now I am going to send it before it changes its mind and goes "poof". (notice I am taking the pic from inside the car. She did finally move over.

Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on May 18 2012 6:37:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  6:16:46 PM  Show Profile
I took that pic with my Iphone. Not great pics, but I always have it with me so I'm taking lots more pictures than if I had to go get a camera first. I then email it to myself, open it from my computer email and put it in the photo files, then I can load it from there to whereever I want to post it. I know there is an easier way but I'd have to get out the manual and actually read it. Patty, I love those silkies. The first year we were here on this place I ordered about a dozen "assorted" bantams not knowing what I would get, and I got one white silkie--he was so cute. But one morning early he was in the yard and about noon he was gone and we never saw him again. Since it was broad daylight it had to have been a hawk.

I'm not on notepad so will try to remember a few things I read. About the blog--I went to Patty's blog, or maybe it was Penny's, and up in the right corner there was a button to click on to create your own blog, and I just followed that. It was pretty easy after the first couple of times to get the basic posts on there, but I'm still learning, really. The problem with blogging is that it is so hard to keep up with. I have days and even weeks when all the dreary but necessary chores of life interfere with my time to have fun. So people get tired of going and there's nothing new there so they stop going. Kathryn with you not having a computer at home I wonder if it would be difficult. You must have a very understanding boss. When I was an employer, I did not like my employees playing around on the computer on my time. They did it anyway, of course.
Darlys, I'm having withdrawals from Desperate Housewives but even worse with Downton Abbey. I watched the whole first series from Netflix, then I added the streaming to my membership because I could not wait for the second series and it showed on the site that it could be streamed, so I settled in the other night to watch as many episodes as I could between about 9:00 and midnight when I usually go to sleep, and could not get them to stream. So I called the next day and they said it was a mistake, you could not stream that series yet. So I have Rosemary & Thyme tonight, and then I guess Downton Abbey will begin to follow, as they are next up.

Kathryn I am glad things are looking up for you. Let us know when you are ready to share your blog.
I am reading about all the gardens and chickens and goats and wonderful farm life that many of you have with great envy, that was my plan but it has been derailed by other things. But would you believe the lone strawberry plant is still plugging away, producing sweet little berries every few days. I pick all the blooms off when I leave but when I get back there they are. Of course when we stop getting our rains I will lose everything if I can not be here to water the few pot plants I have on the porch. I have to turn the water off and shut the pump off because of lightning worry. It likes to hit the pump house. (It does look like an outhouse, so maybe that's why)

I wanted to have bees and looked in to it but the county extension agent said all the bees here had crossed with the killer bees from Mexico and he didn't think it was a good idea. He's a lazy butt, and probably just didn't want to help me with it. He also discouraged me from getting goats last year, glad now that I didn't since I'm gone so much.

Nancy you mentioned sleeping with your dog. I sleep with my two fur babies which my ex would never have allowed, but I take their own personal quilt and put it on their side of the bed and they sleep there all night. If they get cold they will get up against me. I have trained them to not bother me until I am ready to get up, so this morning when I opened my eyes there was a little face about two inches from my face, staring intently at me. when my eyes opened, she jumped up and down and we were off to the races for the day. Actually more fun than waking up with a grummpy DH ex.

Hi Brenda, you slipped in there while I was going bla,bla,bla

I vote we sent out the search party for Ginny. Has anybody heard how she is?

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on May 18 2012 6:35:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  7:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, last year was the first year that our peach trees were affected. We had a very wet spring and lost all the fruit due to the fungus. We treated and fertilized this spring ... fingers crossed. And the scones were from a mix made by a local couple who worked on it for a very long time to get the flour type correct. They did, it is wonderful.

Patty, you should run a poultry beauty pageant. I have never seen such pretty birds. And you capture their personality, too.

OH Holly, I have had that sinking feeling ... "Oh, no, I thought of a better place to put that!" I can understand not being able to find your window boxes.

Glenda, I love the longhorn gal. We had neighbors that had those and I loved it when they all laid down right next to one another. It looked like if you were to tap one on the shoulder he would turn and poke his horn in the next one's eye. They seem so calm.

Brenda, if you are a busy gal or just a gal who wants to be busy, you are in the right place. You have tested the water, now jump in. Tell us about you, gripe about your weather, sing the praises of your kids/grands/fur babies, post pictures of ANYthing. We share it all.

Holly, our (not really ours) guineas got more vocal when one was missing, too. They must be calling. The story of our guineas was that the previous owner of our home split their property and built another home "next door." They had chickens, guineas, dogs, horses. When we were about 30 miles from our "new" home on moving day, the previous owner called me on the cell and asked if we wanted the birds. I told her ABSOLUTELY not. We have Labradors- bird dogs. I don't need that! She replied, "We may have left them for you." WHAT? So, we ended taking care of her birds to her specifications until her dogs finally killed them all. It was terribly upsetting. They don't live next to us anymore. Mollie - black Lab of Mollie's Canyon fame - did get a mouth full of guinea tail feathers once. She said, "Tastes like chicken." Mollie always has SOMEthing to say.

I have fairly fertile soil in the built up flower gardens at this point. Nine years of horse manure will do that - nice and fluffy at this point. So a lot of the weeding I have to do is volunteer plants. It goes against a gardeners soul to pull up a perfectly good flower just because it is in the wrong place. But, I was making headway. Removed all the white lambs ear from the pink garden. Removed blue flowers from the red garden and then I just must have been too tired because when I was cleaning out all those flower beds I realized it was time to stop when I started weeding the pansy's out of the purple garden. Bummer. At least there are a lot of them. I had planted a chinese poppy last year and it spread all over a hill. I had to pull it all up. I feel like it's bad karma. But, my garden is separated by colors in the "circle garden". Everywhere else there is a mixture.

Just got a text that dh is on the plane, should be home about 9:30pm. A bit of a late start to the weekend.

Saw my first hummingbird today. Put out the feeder and it was a happy little hummer.

Have a fun weekend.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  7:38:14 PM  Show Profile
A quick post tonight again, worked again, now am off until next Friday, then the 28th til June 3 we will be camping. I made reservations and all is set. Now I must get the camper in order this weekend!!
Thelma, it is also windy here, that is what makes it so cold. Our little town is surrounded by water from the north, south and east, so when it is windy, which is always, it is coming off the lake making it cooler than inland. It does make it nice in heat of summer though, but then it can get humid. We have very heavy air here, so when it is humid, it is hard to breath.
Well, off to bed. More tomorrow,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  9:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Janet, I am glad I don't live there. I am surprised that the wind seems to be a problem so many places. I hate it here when the wind blows. My kids would always say, "The wind is blowing today, watch out for mama" and steer clear. March is usually bad but not this year. Usually it will blow really hard for an entire day while one front is blowing out and another blowing in. Or we will finally get a badly needed rain and then the wind will blow for 3 days and dry everything out. The farmers have a rough time. We also get terrible winds with some of the thunderstorms. I do not know anyone who likes the wind. When I was a child during the 50's there was a history making drought here (seven years) and we had the most awful dust storms. I am in zone 8. Some of you have a short growing season so you have to really get with it when you can.
Marianne, how big is/are your garden(s)? It sounds beautiful. Don't forget to take lots of pictures.

Okay, I've hogged the forum tonight. See you in a few days.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  05:29:12 AM  Show Profile
I remember how bad the wind can get. My mom lived in the CA desert and sometimes the wind would blow for days in a row. It was really upsetting when I would visit her and we couldn't even go outside. She lived on a little hill and sometimes when it was trash pickup day empty trash barrels would be rolling down the hill. Also , lots of tumble weeds. Palm Springs, CA and some other land nearby finally put up some big windmills to make use of the wind. The were the biggest windmills I have ever seen.

Marianne you made me laugh when you said you were moving the pansys out of the purple garden. I think your gardens with all the colors must look so beautiful. You are some gardener. :) Glad to hear your DH is home.

Janet we finally found a vet that we like after trying out 3 different ones. The cost of their visits can be outrageous. The vet we have now is so kind and reasonable. Other ones I have had cost so much and didn't seem to love the animals the way this vet does.

Marilyn have a wonderful time while in the woods. Sounds so great.

I am so sorry to hear about your goat. I, too, never knew that they don't have a will to live. I am praying for her that all will be well.

Holly I am so sorry to hear about the guineas. I do hope they will return. The honey sounds so good. How much honey will you get from the 30 pound extraction? I can just see Ross licking at that honey comb. :) When I read about all your veggies I feel like going into my kitchen and making a big vegetable salad for myself even though it is only 8 AM here. I am a real veggie lover.

Kathryn, what is your doctor's name? What kinds of meds does he use for the cataract treatment. You can email me the information as I am very interested. I have time to explore other avenues and want to avoid surgery if possible.
I know what you mean about the flowers, plants and the wonderful animals. Wish I could at least have some chickens. I have not been on anyones' blog for a while. I hope you will have fun with the quilting. I knew when I started I would get hooked on it and that is why I waited so long to start. Now I love it and find it truly relaxing. I still love my doll making the most and will always be making them I guess.

Brenda, welcome to the best spot of all. Just jump right in. You will find it so comfortable and fine here. The ladies are so caring, understanding and sharing. Pretty soon you will feel like you have the best friends ever.

I am praying for Ginny especially. I hope things are okay with her.

I am going over now to read some blogs. I have ironing to do but it can wait. We may have more rain today but right now I see some blue sky among the clouds. No sun though.

Have a great weekend.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile
Glenda, I watched the second series of Downton Abby on the PBS channel online. Not sure if it is still there, but you can look.

Darlys I'm still here. I have a big test on Tuesday so today is study and homework day. I volunteered at the local humane society yesterday. I'm in school until June 15.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  6:21:00 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Those are some loooonnnnng horns on those cattle. We had a horned Jersey once. Her horns curved around to the front and were maybe a foot long in all. We thought those were long. and dangerous.

Ihave learned about killer bees. They truly are nasty. If you got stung then they others are attracted to the smell of the sting and attack with a single mindedness. They reproduce and swarm at a much faster rate than honeybees. I do not know if you bought a package from Georgia or further north if you could raise them or whether the killer bees would cross breed and ruin your gentle bees. Years ago I heard that killer bees were bigger than honey bees and you could put a fence across the opening of the hive to keep out the killer bees.

There was an ad in the paper recently, for sale one young female English Setter. not good with chickens. We had a good laugh.

Marianne. I would love to see pictures of your color wheel garden. What is in the middle? Some year I will have that kind of patience and ambition. just dreaming.

Today was a beautiful sunny day. There was a light breeze a good share of it. There were blackflies in the shade but not in the sun. The guineas have not returned.

Today on the list of things to do was to dig the weeds out from under the bean tower so I could plant this years crop. Cheri and Ross did that this morning. Cheri announced that it was done and was ready to be planted. so, this afternoon while she was resting her knees I went out and planted the front and back. I like to plant on both sides whether I am supposed to or not. Anyway, I loaded up the bucket on the tractor with sand for Kethry to put on the floor of the cow's stall and drove the tractor to the barn I went into the house looking for Ross and Cheri and could not find them. I went back outside and found the two of them coming out of the garden. The two of them had turned the soil under the bean tower to make it nice and fluffy for the seeds. She said to Ross, look the seeds from last year did not come up and they did not rot in the ground either. You can have these to feed to the chickens. She looked at me and asked, did you already plant the beans? she is so embarrassed not to have recognized newly planted beans. I do not know if the seeds Ross did not feed to the chickens will come up if she planted them so deep or not. Another science experiment on the old homestead.

I watched a small snake try to eat a toad today. I of course did not have my camera with me when I first found it. It had the back end of the toad in its mouth. by the time I went into the house climbed three sets of stairs and returned the snake had spit the toad out and was trying a different angle to ingest it. The snake got about half of it in its mouth again and then spit it out and left. The toad sat there covered with snake saliva blinking. I think it eventually hopped away.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  7:02:24 PM  Show Profile
Good lord, Holly, was it that toad's lucky day or what? Thanks for today's chuckle or should I say tell Cheri and Ross thanks for my chuckle. I will wait to hear if anything comes up, too!!

Wow, Janet, having a breeze off the water would keep it rather cool most days!

Bunny, I will keep you in mind the next three weeks as you finish up your school year.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  8:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I'm sorry I've been MIA, but been so busy with work and garden...not taking alot of time to do much else...well maybe alittle time on facebook, and made GiGi this cute little Mood DollOne side is happy other sad...I can't wait to give it to her. I just had to show it to ya'll.
Today has been a Busy, busy day at work, and then because we have one day a month where we get a 10% discount on all the food we buy at the store, we decided to do our grocery shopping too...we saved a bunch today, but man oh man am I tired.
But I got some great news from my immediate boss( customer service manager), she said that the store manager came to her because he wanted to say that he was so very please with my work and that I was one of the best people she has hired in a very long time....and then the DM surprised us with a visit and when my SM introduced me he bragged to DM what a great job I was doing...then SM asked if I could work an extra hour on Thursday, which is unusual because we were told we were short on hours this week.
I feel so blessed that I was given such high praises today....a little pat on the back always feels good...I love my job....

I hope to catch up reading tomorrow and if I can I hope to be able to post. I'm off tomorrow and then working Mon thru Thurs. So 4 days straight for the first time. So Jim wants to go motorcycle riding if we can, he says that is if I feel up to it...lol....I think I'm going to go soak in a tub of warm water with epsom salt for a while....so I hope to catch up tomorrow....I hope everyone is doing well, I will know after reading tomorrow...night all

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#

Edited by - Acelady02 on May 20 2012 07:57:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  01:29:51 AM  Show Profile
Penny, it was so good to have such a newsy post from you. Congratulations on your kudos at work and can I be one of the first to say, I'm not surprised! It sure must feel good to get such great and deserved feedback. I love your mood doll. What a great tool to help GiGi to express her feelings. She will love it and your handiwork is beautiful. Hope you enjoyed your soak, you want to be super relaxed to enjoy you ride tomorrow. It was so smart of you to push yourself to do the shopping on your savings day. Ten percent is quite a nice savings.

So, I got to garden a bit today with Mike. He and I did the grocery shopping, picked up books at the library, bought tomato plants locally, then got home and took the dogs around, brought in the horses and then spent some time working around the yard. I planted two of the tomato plants, cleaned two of my vegetable garden beds, transplanted a bunch of lavendar plants and potted some for my neighbor. Then we showered = again = and watched some tv, had dinner and tried to watch a movie we had rented. It was just not for us...It was a good day.

We heard from our daughter. She and her (hmmm...gonna have to start a new abreviation. How about dp for dear person?) dp found an apartment they were applying to. They are moving together to Seattle. She from this area and he from So. California. Fingers crossed. They both are good young people.

Thank you for all your kind comments on my garden. I probably spend too much time in it for my own good, but it is my therapy. The lilacs are so fragrant and working in the lavendar is always pleasant. Even Mike said, what smells so good? He isn't one to notice such things usually.

My biggest challenge in the garden is keeping it contained. Everything wants to spread. Like I told you earlier about the pansies being everywhere and then the oriental poppy that had taken over a hill in one year. Yesterday was the lavendar throwing out new plants everywhere. But, as I was pulling up these lovely starter plants for everyone and their brother, I realized it was nicer than pulling weeds ... Living on the edge of the canyon, the wind whips and just spreads everything!

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  08:56:13 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, your daughters dear person would actually be a SO.. Significant Other as they are called.

Penny so glad work is treating you well. It is nice to like your job.
Love the doll! Looks like a lot of work.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  6:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, you are right. He would be an SO. But, I kinda like my dp. It makes him sound so much more ... significant! Thanks for getting me up to speed with the lingo.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  04:12:45 AM  Show Profile
Been a busy weekend getting the camper cleaned and awning ready for our camping trip next week. It was nice out and got a little burnt, but the wind was still strong. Had a thunderstorm come through around 8 last night, but did not dump too much rain, only enough to make it humid out. Today is catch up on laundry and dishes, seems they are never done.
Hope you all have a great day. I will try to get back on here tonight,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page