thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  7:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Good evening... so good to meet mew ladies on here. We hope you stay a visit Mercedes. You'll enjoy this group.
I am exhausted tonight. I cleaned out a spare bedroom and set my quilt rack up with my quilt. I started it about 10 years ago, right before my deceased husband was diagnosed with cancer. It has been rolled up and wrapped up for years. Life changing events prevented me from finishing it. Now I am ready to "get-er-done". I had a lady come by the house today to get 101 quail eggs, and another come for chicks. Always nice to meet more poultry ladies, always making new friends. :) We ran after some feed and then by my folks with some more plants for the garden. They had cut a locust tree down so we helped clean up the logs and the brush. We picked up some lumber to make some shelves in another spare bedroom. The weather will be near 100' this weekend. Not looking forward to it. :(

Well off to bed...will post more tomorrow. Have a great night!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on May 23 2012 7:47:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  8:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Holly what a great question. I have always wanted to have an animal rescue and a shelter for abused and homeless women and children. My hope was that it would be therapeutic for them and their children to care for the animals ( dogs,cats, horses,etc). Just like Glenda said, they would learn life stuff and even job skills. I would of course create a family trust for my kids,mom,sister and her kids.

Marianne, I hated it when my boys moved out. It was one of the worst things I have ever dealt with. But you get through it. My oldest calls me almost every day and the youngest calls often. Being so far away is the hardest. We can't always get together for holidays and that is the hardest.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  01:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Bunny, Glenda, Dianne and Janet for the commiseration on seeing my daughter move away. It is nice to know that you have all lived through it and I will too, of course. Oh and Janet it would be so nice to be able to drop by!!

Nancy, how nice to have the new plant placed nicely. Give that man a pat on the back!

Patty, you are supposed to be taking it easy, not cleaning out bedrooms. That quilt is very pretty. It may be quite cathartic for you to finish it. What are your plans for it?

Marylyn, glad you are not tied down to the babies. Now you can hit the road! Or the hiking trail.

Holly, aren't you pleased to know you have so many altruistic friends who would spend their millions to see good work done. Bunny and Glenda and all the other gals have such great ideas. I don't think I could improve on them one bit. Hats off to you ladies.

I had a great day shopping for "really fun stuff" like measuring spoons and cups, shower curtain liner and hooks. It was fun to be able to treat her to a few things even if they weren't very glamorous. I told her let me get some of these necessities so you can save your money for the fun things. She is always so appreciative. It makes me very proud.

So that means that my house and garden are sort of a mess! It has been raining for a few days. I had planted two bush tomatoes, but kept back the tomatoes that will be staked. The winds have been very strong and I didn't want to take a chance. It is still early for our area to be planting tomatoes.

I didn't call my neighbor to see how the injured hen was doing. I was still so bummed out by the entire event that I didn't want to hear it had suffered and finally died. Which is what I figured has happened. She is leaving today for two weeks ... doesn't look good for the poor bird. I believe her eighty year old mother is caring for her nine cats (indoor) and the remaining chickens.

Has anyone read a good book lately? I have made my summertime change to mindless romantic mysteries. I guess they are not completely mindless. But, they are particularly challenging. Which reminds me, I may get to check out the MJF magazine - last month's - at the library by now. It isn't much fun to wait to see it, but it isn't the cheapest magazine ....

Have a wonderful day, gfs!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  05:05:10 AM  Show Profile
Good morning from Maryland where it is expected to be 82 with possible thunder storms. Guess I'd better get out in the garden and pull weeds early.

Well Vegas was HOT - 100 & higher and one day the wind blew so hard it was hard to walk!! But it was worth it all to see my grand daughters. I enjoyed them both. I'll post pics later.

Penny - a friend is supposed to lift you up not stomp you down. So, you didn't loose a friend, only an acquaintance. Don't worry - we're there for you, hon. And I'm so happy you are doing so well at your new job. And that you like it. That's special & rare.

Marylyn - we've always grown our potatoes in big barrels. Way easier to take care of. Mine are already a foot tall! And so sorry your mama goat died. I always love all my critters so much, it would really sadden me.

Patty - Are you starting a zoo? What a bunch of unhappy faces you posted!! Does it help to relocate them? Don't they come back?
And love your blue quilt! I love to quilt. I find it very soothing.

Holly - lucky you to see Bernadette Peters. I remember her in so many movies and plays. I didn't know she was 70. Wow!

Marrianne - I cried for days when my girls told me they were both moving out on the same day!! They decided to move into an apartment together - which was a very bad idea. They didn't get along that well at home. But to loose both at the same time was very bad. Of course, I'll always have Jenny at home. She'll never move out.

Mercedes - Welcome and just jump right in. You'll find out we're really friendly and just love new sisters!

Gotta run sisters, the weeds are calling me out!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  05:37:51 AM  Show Profile
It is a sunny day, but rain expected later and for a few days. I hope so, then next week it will be sunny when we go camping. I need to get the towels and other things ready. I have been cleaning out the back entrance and am finally almost done. I wanted to make room for my exercise bike, which was in the bathroon being used as a clothes hanger. Now I may be able to use it, I am hoping. I need to keep strength in my legs after my hip surgeries. It has been too windy to walk outdoors.
Penny, that is alot of eggs. Good you have resources to sell them though.Love the quilt. You will be so hppy when you finally finish it.
Kathy, bet you were happy to get back home after that heat, but glad to see grandchildren.
Marylyn, maybe now you will be able to take the time to go camping.Glad the baby goats have a good home and you know they will be taken care of.
Wll catch up more, need to get dressed and get the day going before it starts to rain. Have a great day,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  06:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, not sure it will ever end. Another raccoon last night. a total of 3 raccoon and 3 opossum. But atleast the poultry are all secure. The raccoon had to have fiddled with the latch on the pigeon coop enough to get it opened. We are going to set another trap in the hallway of the barn as something keeps getting into the grain now. Grrrr.

Marianne- The only time I had empty nest syndrome was when my oldest went into the military and the other three went to camp. I spent the week in tears. But my kids were so spaced apart, I think I got use to them all being away by the time the twins moved out at the same time and got their own apartment. The nice thing was, these young girlfriends don't know how to cook, so they came home often. However, I do miss hanging out with the kids, now that I am 400 or more miles away from them. But I had 4 and now 3 step children. So between FB and the phones, they keep alot of my day tied up...lol.
My quilt is only a full size. 10 years ago when started I only had a full size bed. Very few people have full size beds these days. Not sure what I will do with it. I suppose my quilt rack will have to be made larger if I do anymore.

Holly- If I won the lottery, I would pay off all my bills. Buy me a bigger piece of property and give the homes we now own to someone who could use them. I would take care of my children and parents. I would open me a tea room, and help Glenda fulfill her dream.... as that is a wonderful thing, but I would not have the paitence for it...lol.

Kathy- We relocate them far enough from the house they they won't be back at the farm anyway. I wish it were legal to dispose of them. I won't be able to start back on the quilt until next week, but at least it is up. I am going to have to find my templates for the quilting patterns first. I would love to have a quilting machine, but I would have to win the lottery first.

Marylyn- I am so sorry about your mamma goat. Good idea to rehome them. They can be alot of additional work. Children will give them alot of extra attention too!

Janiee-Gosh that sounds like alot of work. And 1 snake sighting would be all I could handle!

Janet- My hubby of 6 years is like yours. He is a total city boy and knows little on nothing....lol. But he is strong. He does alot of mowing and moving heavy things. He keeps the yard in tip top shape and helps all the neighbors keep up their yards. Though he knows nothing about planting, he can run the tiller (not exactly to suit me, too many ruts when he is done). He can't build and I can't trust him to cut a board correctly. But he can hold them in place while I nail them...lol. However, he is learning and he can do the feeding for me and he can clean coops. :) He does "scrap" metal and tears everything apart, sorts the metals for a better price and he is real good at that. I always joke that "men are all alike, some just know how to make money and some don't"...lol... Oh and you confused Penny with me...lol. Alot of people do that with my sister and I. Me, named Patty and my sister Peggy...happens all the time. :) As well as my twins Jake and John. But I knew you were talking to me..and Penny will too. <wink> :)

Nancy- My agenda looks like yours.... cleaning hardwood floors, dresser drawer, getting rid of some things, and finishing up a couple of projects! I have a couple of special items I am working on for the FGOTM I will hand off the "apron" to. So I really need to get my act together. Hubby is gone all day today mowing some acres for a friend, so I should have a good productive day!

Penny- I have made a promise to myself to stay away from those type of people, like your former friend. Life is too short to let unhappy people make your own life unhappy. I typically let people walk all over me and keep my mouth shut to avoid confrontation. But then I stew and it is not worth it. And I love FB because I can just hit that "UNFRIEND" button. I love caller ID, because I can ignore those calls. I want a good quality of life!

Well, off to get my work done! Everyone have a awesome day!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  07:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, beautiful ladies!!! Great day in the Ozarks!! Well, I'm back to work today...but on my days off I got the most put off chore done!!! I cleaned out my office (it became a catch-all)!!!!! I put my sewing machine on my writing desk and bought a 6 foot table to put along one wall, reorganized my fabric and put it neatly on one shelf of my bookshelves and combined it into my office/sewing room!!! Yipppeee!

Oh, empty nest syndrome...I can't even think about it anymore....suffice it to say 'it passes'...

Camping next week!!!!!!

Patty, I love your quilt....I have an old bed that is going in my cabin's loft...*whistles and looks around*.....

My husband and I put flags on the veterans graves at the cemetery down the road last evening and on the way home two deer came out of my orchard!!! No harm no fowl!!! This time and I can't trap them!!!

Gotta run!!!

Love ya's,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  3:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Dianne for the "poo" run down. I did not know that. It's good to know that I am not the only one these things happen to.

It's been a very busy week at the office this week. I'm getting an intern; oh boy, have I got tings for her to do…

Mostly sunny and in the nineties. The plants I have are dying…from lack of water…we have had some very recent rains, but they dry out so fast and I can't get to my hose for the weeds in the way. I've got to get a weed eater…hmmm…I wonder if the intern pulls weeds…Oh wait, that's not office work, is it? RATS!

I'm reading al your posts, but I couldn't begin to catch up. I'm just going to pick up somewhere and apologize in advance for missing you.

I'm hoping to get my own internet service at home soon, so I can catch up at my leisure from home. Oh and maybe I won't get so far behind that way.

Love and Hugs!

Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  4:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I think I would go crazy trying to piece together a quilt with little pieces. My attention to detail is not that good. or maybe it is my patience with detail is just not there. Nancy, I bet your quilt will be wonderful.

Jan it is nice that you and your sister think enough of each other to take the time to visit with each other every Wednesday morning.

Janiee maybe you could ask to hire a work study student to help you with the nasty work. I know it is a public school system but are there any positions like that? Here some students are hired by the school to help with janitorial work or office work. Maybe the program is through summer youth employment. then the student could go in the snake room ahead of you. hehe. or the rooms and clean out the spiders. Give you both some company in a tedious job.

Re homing critters is actually illegal around here especially with raccoons. My friend who is losing her mind used to do it when they would come in her cat door walk across the living and up the stairs to eat the cat food. she would take them up the road to where there were no houses for several miles and put them out. The wildlife people do not want the raccoon populations moved around because of rabies.

I was proud to read about people's plans for their millions. I have thought about it and besides providing for the family there are two major trusts I would like to set up . the first is that I would like to provide dental coverage for working people who don't make enough to cover teeth. The second is I would like to set up a long term mentoring program for children. The mentors would be paid and they would be matched with the children very early on. The mentors would follow the children right up through high school.
I think it is important for the parents to be taught how to be good parents so the cycles of neglect and abuse stop but reprogramming adults is so hard especially if the adults do think there is any thing wrong with the way they are raising their children.
The part I would like to spend on me would be a house at the seashore or a boat to sail on the ocean. I have also thought that it might be fun to have a cruise and invite all of my online friends and their families so we can meet.

Bernadette Peters was wonderful. She still has a grand voice. She can strut with the best. She was in a sparkling blue dress with a slit 3/4 of the way up her thigh. I thought if you are really as old as I think you are you still have great legs.

At the material store which has other things as well there is some sort of beads that absorb water and then releases it over time. Maybe that would be the answer for those people with a lot of dry weather and wind.

I got the rototiller working yesterday. It is an old troybilt that our friend had before she died. It would start but if I opened the throttle for more energy the engine would die. I drained the fuel and put in new and it runs great now.

I read science fantasy because it is nothing like my life and is relaxing to read. Sometimes I read young adult science fantasy because the plots are simple and do not require a lot of recall to continue with the book.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  7:33:24 PM  Show Profile
It is so windy out right now and we are in a severe thunderstorm watch so I will not be on here too much longer. There are alot of downed trees and some forest fires north of here that they are having a hard time to control because of the winds. I bet they can see smoke across Lake Superior into Canada.
Patty, sorry for the mistake. I did mean you, but without my first cup of coffee, I am only half awake.LOL!!!
Everyone is so busy this time of year getting their gardens going and such. Still, we are on page 280 already!!! Seems like we just hit 200 not that long ago. We are a chatty bunch, heh?
More tomorrow after I get home from work. Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  8:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Well, Kathy and Patty I don't know how you could stand to have more than one kid leave home at the same time or even close to the same time. That is so much change all at once.

Janet, hope your camping trip goes well. Your newly organized back entrance sounds like it will be a good place for your exercise bike.

Kathryn, how fun to have an intern! Good for you. Thank you for the information you sent. I have really learned a lot and appreciate having it. How nice to hear that you may be getting the internet at home. I hope you can do it soon. It will be nice tohear from you more often.

Kathy, I remember visiting Las Vegas when it was so hot we were too uncomfortable to walk across the street to a different casino. The wind is as awful as you mentioned. But, oh how fun to see your granddaughters.Do you see them often? And how old are they?

Helped my daughter with some packing today. I also went through all my spices and gave her the doubles that I had. I had a lot of doubles! What was I thinking? Oh well, it worked out just fine.

Until tomorrow,
Marianne

Edited by - rough start farmgirl on May 24 2012 8:59:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  9:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Woopsie daisy, I didn't know about page 280 until I posted.

So glad to see that you had a good time at Bernadette Peters, Holly. I know that if you trap an animal on your property in CA, you have to release the animal on your property. Considering that most city lots are measured in square feet rather than acreage there, it seems useless to trap. I don't know what our laws are here in WA.

Janet, I just hate wildfires. Those high winds and uncontrolled fires are the most scary thing I have ever had to think about. And I have only had to think about them in the abstract. They have never threatened us. I hope all remains safe for you and your neighbors.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  05:41:44 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I hope the quilt turns out well. There is going to be a quilt show at the church in September. Along with all the quilts hanging everywhere the ladies put on a dinner. We all bring our china for serving on. The group hires a cook to make the food. I haven't been to this annual event so I am excited. I think the quilt I am making is the one that I want hung there but I like my black and white quilt so I might use that one.

I like what you would do with your millions. I, too, would like to use some of my money for the children. I would give most of the money to charities and worthwhile organizations that help children. So many are physically and sexually abused even those that are coming from so-called good homes.

I love your choice of reading material. Since my eyes have been bothering me my reading time is not what it used to be. I enjoy reading biographies and non fiction the best. But right now I am reading a fiction book that Glenda sent me and it is very good.
I love Bernadette Peters and I am so glad that she is still performing. I just enjoy her singing so much. She is a good actress, too. I like her so much in Pennies From Heaven with Steve Martin. I watch that film from time to time and my favorite part is when they dance to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Janet when you talk of the wind I always think of my mom. It is so sad about the fires. They can go on and on with no sign of getting under control. With the lack of rain here the last couple of years we have had a few fires. One place, the Okefenokee Swamp has been burning for almost a year.

I hope you have a great time camping. I haven't been camping in so long.

Kathy I am glad you had a good time in Las Vegas even though it was so hot. I am looking forward to seeing the pics of your trip, especially the grandkids.

My daughter, Linda, tells me that my oldest granddaughter will be leaving home to get an apartment with some girl friends this fall. My middles GD has her job for the summer in Hollywood so she won't be coming home to live. She will be staying near the college while she commutes to and from work.
My youngest GD is home for the summer from San Francisco State and got a job working with some group thingy. She is all into the San Francisco college life. She is a vegan, a Sierra Club and Peta member and has these "causes" she advocates.
My daughter is working hard these days and I don't get to talk to her too much. It will be good to sit down and have a long conversation with her when I get to CA.

I am going to have breakfast and walk the dog.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  06:24:44 AM  Show Profile
good morning gfs!
i had a scare this morning. my phone rang at 530 am and it was my mother saying she could not move and needed help. We had just been with the neurologist yesterday telling her that she has had one or more stroke and so my first thought was...another stroke. get there and she can move but cannot get out of bed. so i help her out of bed and to the bathroom and then from the bathroom to her chair. The neurologist gave her some new medicine yesterday and told her to take 1/2 of a pill for the first week. So i cut up enough for 1 week and put them in a different pill bottle and beside her bed (per her request). i checked the bottle and she had taken 6 pieces of the 8 that were in there and that was what was making her sick. I don't know if she did it on purpose or not. she was not happy about going to the neur. doctor and she doesn't think she has a memory problem or a stroke no matter who tells her so. sigh. i will probably have to go by her house everyday for awhile and make sure there is only 1/2 of a pill for her to take -not today or tomorrow but after that.
as for the summer help, last year was the first time my supervisor sent someone with me and i have already told him that i needed someone at least part of the day for the next 3 weeks. i just have to count the books ahead of the asbestos abatement team and that means very quickly. i was going to can strawberry jam this weekend but i might have to spend more time with mom so that is put back into the freezer.
i never had kids so i don't have the empty nest syndrome outside of missing my husband. could be why i put up with 4 furbabies in the house. they are such a joy to be around and so different in their personalities.
well, better get to work while I can.
hugs and prayers to all of you and hope everyone has a good holiday weekend.
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  08:01:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping today that the wind will die down and I can get my garden planted. I am so far behind. My dear neighbor came over and tilled up the garden for me. What a sweetie she is. I have my beans in the ground and am ready for tomatoes, cukes, peppers, and eggplant. Wind, wind, go away--come again another day.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  4:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Hello everybody,
Marianne and Kathryn, how is the blogging coming along? I am so far behind on mine but hope to catch up
next week. I have a week at home and then I go to Houston to help out with my brother.
Nancy and Patty and you other quilters out there--I got into quilting a few years ago but now I too
have decided all those little pieces are not for me. I will make a few more hopefully, that I have
bought fabric for or maybe I will just continue to hoard the fabric!
Darlys, great stories about your pastors..good memories are wonderful. It is so great when people
stay in touch over the years, too. It is not easy to do but well worth the effort.

Holly, are any beans coming up or did Cherie and Ross get them all? That was a good chuckle.
I remember we would count our guineas every night, they would roost high in the trees at night but
the predators still would get them from time to time. I really enjoyed having them, they are good at
eating bugs without scratching everything up like chickens do. They also would gather around in a
circle in the tall grass and start such a ruckus, someone told us they did that when they found a
snake, and they also will do that when someone comes on the place. But they were so dumb they would
fly over the 8 ft fence to the property next door, then try to walk back, going round and round
the fence. We finally made a little gate in the fence so we could open it when one was running
around the other side which was practically every night. We fed them turkey crumble every
evening to get them to come back to the house where they would roost in the highest branch
they could find. they did not get along with the chickens so it didn't work to try to put
them in the pen.
On this trip to the city I found myself an electric weedeater that is not so heavy and with the long
extention cords I can clean up all around the house so I can't wait to try it out. It will
be heavy duty enough to do the job I hope. I don't like anything next to the house the snakes can get under. Last week fur baby alerted me to a huge scorpion walking acros a book I had just put down, the week before they found one of those big centipedes - tall grass and rain is all it takes for the creepy crawlies to come out.

Janie I am sorry you are having such a rough time with your mom. My mom is 89 and getting a little
cranky too. She can not really see, I guess, because she does not know her house is so dirty
yet she follows me around to make sure I wash my hands when I go in her kitchen, and tells
me how to fry an egg. Oh, well, a mental note to try not to do that to my daughter.
Patty, that is a pretty quilt you've got set up--to hand quilt, right? It would take me forever
and a day!
I am interested in what you do about the cataracts, Nancy, as I have them too but eye doc says I wont need surery for a few years, but if there is something that would make them go away I would like to know about it too--what causes them, anyway--does anybody know?

Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  5:38:00 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

It was a lovely day in the Green Mountains. It was heavy high clouds all day but the wind blew gently so there were no black flies. The clouds are clearing now and the wind has picked up so the trees are moving. The alders are flowering. I really like their scent. It is a nice light perfume. The flowers are shaped like lilacs but each cluster is only a couple of inches long. We have had several male goldfinches in the rosa rugosa. I guess the females must be around too but they are harder for me to see and identify.

I had a dump truck full of sand delivered on Wednesday. We are putting it into the cow stall. I think I may have written this yesterday as well. Anyway, Kethry did one load today and three yesterday. I did three today so Coco's stall is almost done. A load is a tractor bucket full. We put it into a sled to drag it into the stall, the tractor will not go into this barn. A bummer but sleds are wonderful tools.

Talie had a baseball game tonight. At his game on Monday he hit a home run and drove in one run with it besides his. He had 5 RBI's that game. He had been the catcher for both of those games. He is sleeping over at a friend's house tonight.

Kethry and Jarrrett have gone to Burlington to a dance called the Rave. it is the first time we have allowed Jarrett to drive that far or late at night. sometimes a mother just needs to breathe and take a chance. They are both very responsible but..........they called when they arrived and will call when they leave.

We filled up Ross' sand box with some of the sand. he is so happy with it. We made big castles that collapsed when we took the bucket off. he laughed and jumped up and down.

Janet I hope you have wonderful weather while you are camping. Marylyn you too.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  6:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Holly, you sure are a hard worker. Sounds like you have the perfect family. How are the gardens doing? Mine is doing alot better than I though it would for now. Everything is sprouting except the potatoes and zucchini.
We are not leaving for camp until Monday, but I will be busy the next couple of days getting ready. Worked today for my son. Tomorrow we have to mow the lawn then pack clothes, etc. Probably do our grocery shopping on Sunday.
It got so windy last night, I thought we were having a tornado. I was afraid to fall asleep. Then about midnight or so it was thundering loud and then rain. I was glad because my gardens needed watering and I just did not have time yesterday.
Am getting ready for bed. More tomorrow. Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  8:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Janie, I am so sorry that your mom is suffering from confusion or memory loss. I know you are faced with some busy times in the next few days. How far do you live from your mom? It sounds as though you are fairly close. You are in my prayers as well as your mom. Hope you get the help you need to get those books counted!

Glenda, I know what you mean about your mom thinking everything is clean...it is pretty normal I guess for these types of changes to take place. I hear it over and over and I am experiencing it with my mil, too. I haven't undertaken the blog, yet. I'll keep you posted! Sounds like you got a nice weedeater. The gas ones are way too heavy.

Holly, Fresh Sand! That is almost as good as fresh dirt! I bet it is a good time for Ross. Hope the kids had fun at the Rave. It is difficult to allow that freedom...we always had the call when you get there and call when you leave rule, too. Oh and it sounds like you might have the baseball MVP there!

I was really hoping that our weather was going to be a bit nicer for the weekend, but it seems that we will have blustery and cool. Four of us went to see Men In Black 3. It was entertaining, but not as ground-breaking as the first two. There are some nice story lines that humanize K (Tommy Lee Jones) and I did enjoy it. We went to the 10am show. I know, unheard of! But, I feel best early in the day and that worked for everyone else. Unfortunately, sitting for an hour and forty minutes is still difficult for me and I didn't accomplish as much as I would have liked this afternoon because of the pain. But there is always tomorrow.

Have a nice weekend.
marianne
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  07:05:06 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like everybody has been keeping busy while I was away. Yes Vegas was hot, but visiting with my grand daughters was wonderful. They are 7 & 2 years old and I love them to pieces. Wish they lived closer.

Here we are at M&M World. What a poser!!

Gotta run right now. We've decided to jump into owning chickens so need to build a chicken coop for the two ladies that I have coming. Home grown eggs!! Can't wait.

Later sisters!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  3:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Remember me? I have simply read your blogs but will not comment on anything today as I am very tired. I leave Monday for Mayo clinic so have spent this past week getting things finished up around here so I won't be so far behind when I return. Dar and I didn't get all the vegetables planted as the rains finally arrived and much needed I might add. It won't take long for the seeds to sprout once it turns hot and humid. Take care of yourselves, don't work to hard, but your feet up once in awhile, pray for your loved ones, smell the roses. I'll check in when I return. I love each and every one of you. Taa taa chickie poos.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  4:46:50 PM  Show Profile
Thelma...not sure what is happening, but I hope that your travels to Mayo will result in health and peace. Blessings.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  4:51:20 PM  Show Profile
I want to thank you all who remembered me for my birthday. It took your time and stamps to wish me a good day. May I say, it was such a pleasure to open each card with goodies and warm wishes. I know the generosity comes from your heart...even though you don't know me personally. May the bread that has been cast upon the water of your kindness come back to you triple fold in ways that will astonish you and give you joy. Thank you very much again!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  1:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Want to know who has a birthday on May 30th? Our own beachymom - Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  5:53:45 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A lovely weekend so far in the Green Mountains. The temperatures have been in the low seventies, clear blue skies and a light breeze.

Yesterday I went yard saleing in the morning. No spectacular finds. I have decided that I am going to try to find one of a kind china plates to make up our eating service. We break plates so often it is hard to keep a full set. I have found two pretty ones so far.

In the afternoon we went to a wedding of one of Cheri's co workers. Her third his first. They seem to be smitten with one another. the vows were personal and aware of each other's needs. It was a nice time.

Today I worked on my new chicken house. If the charge in the batteries for my portable drill and saw worked longer I would be further a long in the project. It does give me time to think and plan the next step.

A neighbor gave me three pots of bittersweet. it is a vine that has berries on it in the fall. the berries have a yellow skin that pops open to show a red berry. I think it is very pretty. Talie and I worked on making an arch to grow the vines up. We took four ten foot pieces of rebar and planted them in a slanted parralelogram. It was supposed to be a rectangle but my perspective was a little off when we sunk the second pole and Talie had no interest in digging another hole to fix it so the arch faces southwest instead of south. Then we tied rigid fencing onto the rebar. The fencing looks like a grid you would use to make a sifter for your soil. I still need to get some more rigid fencing to put on the arch. The rebar and fencing that I used came from the metal dumpster at the transfer station so this rig has cost nothing so far.

The tragedy in my life right now is that I can not find my bag of garden seeds. I am sure it will turn up never the less I am distressed about it now. Oh, poor me. lol

I hope Marylyn is having good weather on her camping trip. I hope that Jan has good weather on hers.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page