Page: of 218

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  08:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
I've got 2 in the AF,one is at vandenburg, ca and as judy said, other is in germany, so know what you're all talking about.Basic is hard on both of you. They did grow up and mature, that was the best part.
It's been good for them, was hard on me as I was going through the "empty nest", selling our house and moving out of state and expecting the first grandchild all at once! hard to believe that was 12 years ago..where does time go?

Debra - That's neat that the VFW shipped the boxes for you. Never knew they did that.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  1:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Our VFW takes care of our shipping boxes to the soldiers. Shipping is not cheap when sending to the troops. (and that is too bad) So anyone with a soldier and you are sending somethng.... Check with your VFW and also the American Legion. They have been helpful too.
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

cbutters
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Christina
Halifax VA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  06:20:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone:

I am a new Farm Girl and "qualify" for this fun group - I have two grown children, a son, graduating from grad school next month and moving from VA to Colorado and a daughter who is finishing her second year in college. Now I have the time to have fun and concentrate on ME! Pounds, wrinkles and all! I must admit, though, I tend to look back when I should be concentrating on today!

Blessings!

Chris
Farmgirl #2901

"Sometimes life is not the party we hope for, but while we are here, we might as well dance."
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  07:08:16 AM  Show Profile
51 in years, 21 in spirit!

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  08:29:33 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. The tragedy with the tornadoes came very close to me until I found out my daughter and her family and friends didn't get hit. The tornado that hit Jacksonville, NC missed them by a quarter mile. I am so thankful but I feel for the ones that lost their homes and suffered injuries. I lived there for almost 15 years and know so many. My daughter said one of the base schools was damaged beyond repair but they're not going to rebuild. The students will be split between the other base schools whenever they can start school again. Many of the roads were damaged also.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  08:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Betty- That has been on my mind too. Has anyone heard from the rest of our NC farmgirls? Are all OK?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  2:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I didn't know that there was that kind of damage in NC. We had a BAD storm here in Ga. Thursday night with tornados and were very lucky.The wind was terrible.Prayers for the ones that were in NC. and A "Thank you God" for Betty's family.

Farmgirl Sister

Edited by - debra e on Apr 18 2011 2:33:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:56:23 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about the farm girls since I only know the few on here. Someone else may know though. They were pretty bad from Raleigh east.
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  5:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Christina- welcome the farm girls and to the group. you will love it here.

we live on the very western tip of NC and had several healthy trees twisted off halfway down and they're about 60 feet tall. lucky none hit the house as we live right in the forest and mountains. we got about 3 inches of rain the other night and everything is soggy still, not draining off.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  6:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Patsy, Glad to hear you didn't have anymore damage than a few trees. My daughter says it's looks bad where she's at. She sent me photos and I about cried. I knew the area since I used to live there. My old house came through alright and it's over 100 years old now. So much happened in my life while living in that old house and sometimes wish I'd never left it. I guess it was time to move on but I still love that old house.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  7:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Christina and Holly.
Glad everybody is ok after those awful storms. We had high winds all night Saturday and all day Sunday, The house literally vibrated. I stayed on the 1st floor all day. I was afraid the 2nd floor might take off and I didn't want to fly away with it. LOL (I don't have my wings yet,ya know)

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

cbutters
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Christina
Halifax VA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  06:52:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warm welcomes! We live about an hour north of Raleigh/Durham and apparently Raleigh got slammed. A local area about 15 minutes from us called Scottsburg apparently had a tornado come through...property damages, no one was hurt! The storm was pretty intense here, but just branches and stuff in the yard.

Chris
Farmgirl #2901

"Sometimes life is not the party we hope for, but while we are here, we might as well dance."
Go to Top of Page

greenpaws
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

shirley
des moines iowa
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  08:43:15 AM  Show Profile
I am over 50....60. I certainly don't feel any older than when I was, say, 24! I believe being open to trying new things is one way of staying young and thinking young, and joining here is new to me, and I am very excited about being are Farmgirl Sister!

Keep your hands dirty!
greenpaws
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  09:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Christina and Shirley, It's fun on here. I have several penpals (snailmail) from the penpal site. Glad you didn't have a lot of damage Christina. My daighter's home was missed by less than a quarter mile. She lives in Jacksonville, NC. Shirley I like your philosophy. I think trying new ideas and new things, I'm teaching myself to tat, keeps a person young. An active mind doesn't atrophy as fast. At 71 I can do what I did at 25-30. I garden a lot so my hands are always dirty.....
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:29:55 PM  Show Profile
LOL...Welcome Shirley...I love your signature..."Keep your hands dirty!" Too Cute!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  3:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey, welcome to all you "experienced folks".(lol) I like the Keep your hands dirty also but I like the one I think all farmgirls qualify for "Git 'er done!" My heart goes out to all who have weather troubles from tornadoes and wind to wildfires. My son lives in Austin, Tx and the fires are not too far from them. Too close for comfort. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  4:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for your son, Bonnie. I feel lucky.....live in Dallas, but the wildfires west of Fort Worth in Palo Pinto county have burned 150,000 acres and 148 homes and a church. Luckily only one life has been lost and sadly that was a volunteer firefighter. And we had a thunderstorm last night but they didn't get it out there. I am praying they get a good rain soon. The entire state is in a drought and so far 1,000,000 acres have burned this season. But this will pass just seems like its continued for so long. So sorry about all the tornadoes in NC and across the southeast. It's amazing that even with all the technology we have.......Mother Nature can not be tamed.....and so it is.

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  08:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Happy May Day Ladies...Does anyone know how May Day got started??? Im curious so let me know.
Can you believe that it is the 1st of MAY. Wasn't it Christmas 2 weeks ago. This time really does fly by.
We are having beautiful eather here in Ga. Much needed after the storms that went through. (still saying prayers for those that were hit in Ga and Ala.)
I transplanted hostas yesterday and also a mature azalea bush. I should of done the azalea bush in the fall but it was struggling and needed to be in another area. Hopefully it will make it.
After all day of working in the garden and transplanting...I slept very good last night. Nothing like fresh air and hard work to make ya tired. But... is anyone else like this? You work real hard one day and the next you feel like a Mac Truck ran over you. I guess that is what they call old age? Like "the ole mare ain't what she used to be." Oh well...I can still "getter done"
Y'all have a good day and thinking of you farm girls

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  10:29:55 AM  Show Profile
just what I say...only with me it's two mac trucks...paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Debra...you are so funny. With me it's me back. I can barely get out of bed after a hard days work inside or out. I've really been cleaning up all the winter "dust-bunnies" since my Sister is coming up from N.C. this week. That's a lot of work too.
I asked my Mom about May-Day. She doesn't know either. She said she remembers hearing about the May-pole. But that's about it. I remember the May-pole too. "The pretty maidens danced around the May-pole with colored ribbons and flowers in their hair." I'm going to have to look it up on-line. Inquiring minds want to know. hahaha Ya...mine!
Happy May Day!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  12:09:59 PM  Show Profile
I used to know....cant remember at the moment...then I will forget I'm supposed to be rembering. So, yes would you look up, so I can say, oh ya....paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone, We've had nothing but wind for two weeks. It's almost gone right now but I'm sure it will come back up later today. It is so drying and withers everything, including me, as it tires me like I'm fighting the wind all the time. I don't always get down after a day in the garden unless I turn wrong but if I do a big day of housecleaning it seems to do me in. I've had a lot of company, both good kind and bad and It has tired me out more than I'd like to admit. My daughter and her boys are the good kind and I wanted them to stay longer but my son and his girlfriend and children was the bad kind. I just don't like the girlfriend because she tells lies all the time and she really doesn't take very good care of the children and I've told her so. As to May Day, it started way, way back and was meant to mark the middle of the year. England celebrates it with maypole dances and festivities. If you google it on the Internet it would tell you about all of it.
Where has the year gone so far? It seems to fly by so fast. My garden is doing well in spite of the desert wind. My roses and bearded iris are lovely. The veggie garden is coming along very well but the wind snapped off the green peppers and I had to buy more. My cactus are blooming also and so was my clematis but it's finally faded. I hope everyone is coming out of winter now and can get outside. My prayers go out to all that are or have been in the path of the tornados. How dreadful it's been.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  2:26:08 PM  Show Profile
What May day is to me is making a pretty cone out of paper with a handle and filling it with flowers. Then you sneak over to someones house and hang it on the door knob, ring the bell and run like ----. The point is for them not to know it is you. I have done this for years. I had to call a few people and explain I am sick so they wouldn't get their feelings hurt this year. They figured it was me pretty easily. They say I am the only person they know that would do something like that! :) I did do the elderly lady that lives in the apartments next door. I had a cone from last year left over and plenty of flowers in the yard. She still doesn't know it is me. She worked with my sweetie when he was a teenager at a grocery here in town.
I don't know where this one came from either. I remember doing it as a child in Germany but I may have learned it at the American school.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  6:52:50 PM  Show Profile
I can remember when I was a little kid about 65 years ago, my Mom would decorate cupcake papers with pipestem handles, fill with candy and/or flowers and I would hang them on neighbor's doors and knock on the door and leave. It was a fun thing to do.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  1:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Betty, I am only 10 years younger than you so maybe it is an "old fashioned" idea. I'm surprised more folks don't know about it!
Connie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page