debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  8:12:40 PM  Show Profile
I love potatoes (and the little red ones are a favorite of mine), My grandpa used to farm potaoes. I can remember him plowing the field with the tractor and us kids following picking up the potatoes. I remember the dirt and the way it smelled when is was turned over. We would walk in the fresh dirt with our bare feet. (We never had shoes on in the summer.) We would throw the potaoes in the truck and they would be halled off to the potatoe house. We would eat potatoes like an apple. Brush some of the dirt off and take a bite. It was good times and good fresh eatin on the farm.
The weather here in Ga is warm tonight.In the 70's we are to be in the low 80's tomorrow and 88 by Sunday. I am getting out my shorts.
I think that the cold weather is gone! "I THINK"
Have a good night
Debra E

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  07:52:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Betty J.

Betty (Desert Willow) do you cream your green beans, bacon, & potatoes? We always scraped the new skin off the red potatoes and added the green beans and then put in a cream sauce. It was so good. I have gotten my garden tilled with my new tiller. What a job! I know I'm not as strong as I used to be, but wow, was that a workout.

Debra, I remember my Grandpa harvesting the potatoes and I would run behind with the potato sack and pick up the potatoes. I must have been a real pest for him.

Betty in Pasco

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  08:21:15 AM  Show Profile
Betty J, where is Pasco? My daughter lives in Tenino. No I don't cream my green beans and potatoes. I cook the beans like normal in water, along with red potatoes with skins, onions chopped and a couple of slices of bacon for seasoning. I'm still going to try the green peas when my peas are big enough to be picked.

When we moved to the high desert when we retired (did I really say that?) I'm busier now than ever. I was told nothing grows in the desert. Ha! It does if you want it to. We've bought more Amend to amend the soil and added manure and listened to what the garden clubs have to say and our garden is lovely. Has anyone heard of putting several matches from book matches into the hole when you plant green peppers and then when they blossom spray with a mixture of epsom salts and water directly on the plant? Another one is when you plant tomatoes put 2 tblsp of sugar and 2 of epsom salts in the hole before you plant. Our soil is very alkaline.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  10:09:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow...you gals brought back some memories for me. Daddy use to turn over the potato rows with his shovel and Patsy & I would go along carrying a bushel basket between us and pick up the 'taters...and yes, the smell of the overturned earth is still in my nostrils.And the sun on our backs was hot. LOL No a/c back then, just a shady spot and kool-aid. mmmmm Great memories!
We too loved creamed young 'taters, peas AND pods. The pods had such flavor. Yum!!
I use to be my G-Pa's "right-hand-gal" when I was little. They never look at us as pesky! They loved us! He was a carpenter and came to visit a week or two at a time and he'd build shelves, cabinets, closets and things for us, and I'd go behind him and clean up. I was an odd child. I loved cleaning and tidying and making pretty. We were a team...we had a system and it worked for us! LOL
Thanks for the garden tips Betty. Those are new to me. Gonna try them.
Does it work in any climate or is that just for you? Thanks again!
Good memories Girls. Thanks for making me open that dusty chamber in the corner of my brain! Love Yuns!
@}-}-}--( a rose for you)

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Apr 09 2011 10:14:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  10:24:49 AM  Show Profile
It's breakfast time here, and is 28 degrees. Listening to Betty tell about new red potatoes and fresh peas creamed bring back a lot of fond memories. I've never had green beans with potatoes added. Green beans & bacon are one of our favorites, adding potatoes will be a treat. With Betty living in the Tri Cities, I know she has a warmer climate than we do here in Deer Park, and the thought that Georgia is planting makes my fingers itch. It will be several weeks before we can till. We are getting a new covering for our green house, as it seems we could possibly not have enough summer to get good tomatoes, peppers etc.. It was the same last year also. Weather is really crazy for the last several years.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  10:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness.....I haven't had green beans and red potatoes for years! My grandparents lived in Central Illinois when I was a kid and my maternal grandparents had a small farmettte on the edge of town. My grandma made that combination lots in season. And they had both those veggies in the garden and the onions too. I was also lucky to have fresh smoked bacon in those beans. My grandpa would raise and butcher a head of cattle each year for home use. The smoke house smelled so good. They were amazingly self-sufficient when it came to food. Sorry...the nostalgia has over taken me!!:)

The weather here in North Texas is beautiful.......but a bit humid even though the entire state is in a drought situation. Been windy for weeks now but it feels good. Just not so great with the drought, there is always a high possibility of wildfires. Guess you just have to take the good with bad.

Hope everyone is having a great day despite any of life's glitches!!!!! :)

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  11:51:14 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Vicky- Welcome! you are SO gonna love it here.hope you can get on the puter so you can keep up with these gals.

Betty- We started putting epsom salts in the tomato plant holes along with a few paper matches a couple years ago. sulfur from matches is supposed to keep bugs away and epsom salts makes them grow like a bit of fertilizer. these are tips for anyone in any climate.

You all are making me hungry for creamed peas and red taties! We love green beans cooked with smoked polska kelbasi, onion, garlic, taties and sometimes carrots for color.

Judy- My mind went back long ago to and I could "feel" what you were saying. Thanks sis for making me think and dust the cobwebs off my memories.

Claudia- Wish I HAD a greenhouse. I start my seeds indoors, then transplant outside, although this year I planted all my seeds outdoors in planters. Radishes are up. The challenge with planters is to make sure they stay moist.Our wind has been so strong and continual that surfaces dry fast.

It's 82 here! To hot to FAST! Sure hope we don't have the winds, hail etc and all that goes with storms come through like it did last week. We just got cleaned up around here from that last storm. My body aches from playing "pick up sticks"...(I'd rather play the game, hahaha) I bet I hauled 6 huge wheelbarrow loads yesterday off to the edge of the woods...and DH cut up a bunch of logs from our 60 foot tree that got knocked over from the wind. We had a micro burst that sheared several healthy trees right in half! Just glad it didn't touch the house or car. Yes sirreee, living in a forest adds drama to life. :)

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  5:51:08 PM  Show Profile
The hints for tomatoes and peppers can be used anywhere. Wow! we really opened up some interesting memories didn't we. I can't "remember when" like you gals can. I came to the US from the UK in 1948. I remember a bit of living in Wales until we came to the US. We lived in cities a lot for years. Mom remarried and we traveled a lot so there wasn't a chance to establish roots. I don't remember my grandparents or my father but my stepfather was super. I was raised an only chile. Maybe that's why I had seven. I lived about 15 years in NC, my daughter and her family still live there and that's when I started gardening and growing veggies as well as flowers. It was the first time I had chickens too. This is the closest I could come to country living here in CA. Land is way to expensive but desert land isn't. We have a lovely view of the mountains all around us but especially the Sierras and the air is cleaner and there isn't much traffic since the population is low. We have a military base 15 miles from us and that is what keeps the economy going here. This is mostly horse country although there are cattle too.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  09:28:14 AM  Show Profile
Mel, my Dad use to smoke our own pork too. You are SO right....that smell was heavenly!!!......*mmmmmmmm*....more memories!Thanks!
Claudia....you never put Taters in your breen beans and bacon/ham??? WHAT??? It's a one-pot meal that way!! Yummy! *giggle*

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Apr 10 2011 1:57:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  1:38:26 PM  Show Profile
Ms. Judy!!! There are a lot of things I have never done! My Mother came from Canada, and my dad had spuds 3x a day during the depression. I know we had fried spuds a lot, but it is all in what we grew up with.

Any of you girls that didn't have cows or sheep ever grow up on powdered milk? I can remember that we had that during the Korean war especially because we couldn't afford the real thing. Looking at the prices of pwd milk in boxes now is amazing. It is expensive.

Go to Top of Page

kiminca
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Kim
Ontario CA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  3:46:26 PM  Show Profile
I just turned 50 last month--I feel half my age, but according to my hair I'm fooling myself! Kim
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  5:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Betty (Desertwillow), Pasco is in SE WA state. It is in the desert in a place called Columbia Basin. It is beautiful here at the moment and the temps are only in the 60's. Someone wanted a hothouse. I don't have one, but I do have a cold frame that my son built me. I put it on my south facing concrete patio and it keeps my plants warm. I wintered over a whole bunch of coleus from my garden last year and it is time to put them out in the cold frame. They are growing way too large in the house.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  7:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kim. On this thread we overlook gray hair, extra pounds and wrinkles....we have all been there...we've earned them....we love you as you are.

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  7:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Betty J. I didn't know where Pasco was. Tenino is just off I5 about 15 miles and it's just over the Oregon stateline about 65 miles. I think your area is about like ours then if it's desertlike. To the other pst....It's a good thing grey hair and wrinkles are overlooked as well as extra pounds. Hugs to all.....
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  9:03:26 PM  Show Profile
amen judy .to grey hair,wrinkles, and extra pounds....

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  8:31:32 PM  Show Profile

Has anyone seen this website? http://www.raptorresource.org/falcon_cams/
It is a live cam of an eagle/mother and her babies.This is wonderful.I look at this and I am inspired by this bird's protective instincts.This is a dedicated mother/bird. There is a infered camera at an eagals nest in Iowa. The camera is 24-7. I think that it is great for kids to see and learn. Beautiful!!! Mother nature at her best.
Share with your children and grandchildren.

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  12:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Gray hair? That is MY "Silver Reward"!!! And I DID earn every single one of them, by golly!!!
Wrinkles . . . hmmmmmm . . . inevitable!
We know how to laugh, though!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  1:52:53 PM  Show Profile
YES we do CJ! A giggle a minute! LOL
Debra...I've seen that. Isn't it neat? I shiver every time the wind blows her feathers. hahaha

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  2:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
gray hair? *silver award* extra pounds?*ample award* hahahahha

just love that eagle nest site. i have passed it around. thanks for posting.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  2:58:02 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies, My granddaughter left for basic training with the army on Wednesday. She is training in Ft. Leonardwood in MO. From there she goes to FT. Benning, GA for jump school. That's right! They offered her Airborne and she took it. Now my grey hairs will turn greyer if that's possible. That gives me a grandson in the army and a grandson in the navy and now her. We hope to go to her graduation in June but it depends on gas prices. Please, keep her in your prayers. I know she's already in mine.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  4:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Betty...you have my prayers... such a worry. I just hate having kiddos and grand-kiddoes far from the nest. I wonder what those eagles think as their little eaglets grow up to fly away. Prayers for you too.

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  7:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Claudia, I think all the prayers will help her. I just found out tonight that my grandson in the army, her stepbrother is going to Germany. That should be an interesting tour of duty. My son went there and he loved it. The only place I went when my ex was in the Marine Corps was Okinawa and I enjoyed that.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  8:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Betty, I have a Nephew in the A.F. in Germany. He was in England for a couple of years and Japan for a couple. He's making a career out of it. He really enjoys it. Your G-Daughter is in my prayers. Basic is the hardest part, when they aren't use to being away from Family! Extra Hugs&Squeezles for her G-Ma too! ;-)

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  9:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I know it is hard to see our young ones go off into the military. I have a young friend 22 (like a daughter to me)and she is in the army. She is leaving for Cuba in June and will be gone for a year.She was always a girlie girl and it was so different to see her in her fatigues when she was home. But I must say that she was more mature and very proud of what she was doing. And we are too. I will pray for all your children and grandchildren in the service.
I teach fitness for a senior group and we have a platoon that we have adopted.We send cards and items to the troops.There is 35 seniors in our class and we all brought 2 magazines each, easter candy and cards to send to our platoon. We had 71 pounds of goodies to send. We box everything up and the local VFW ships the boxes for us. We got our platoon from www.adoptaplatoon.com. It's a way to support the troops and feel like you are helping out

Hope you all have a good weekend.
Connect later,
debra e

Farmgirl Sister

Edited by - debra e on Apr 15 2011 9:03:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  10:29:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone. I know how it is since I was married to a Marine for 15 years. I know this was the right thing for Lacey to do. She needed to get away from home and mature. She'll do fine.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page