jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  7:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Holly, that is a great stawberry bed. I bet it holds alot of strawberry plants and you should get a good yield.
I will try to catch up with all of you tomorrow. I keep getting waves and can't see very well, I think caused from migraines. Have been getting them 1-2 times a day lately. I think I need new glasses.
More tomorrow,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  7:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the congrats! I am pretty excited. It has been an exciting but busy day. Feed store runs wear me out...lol. I cleaned out all the coops today and am exhausted. It is a good thing Dalous is in Ohio...otherwise I would have told him that I get a few days off because I am May FGOTM. But, since I am here by myself, I got the dirty job of cleaning coops.Off to bed, will post more in AM. Oh, and ducklings are hatching. :)

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on May 01 2012 7:43:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  9:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Patty, that is one "fresh" duck!

So cute.

And everyone stop worrying about the big pictures. I think most of us love 'em big!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  05:12:31 AM  Show Profile
What a cute little duck that is. Thanks for the picture.

I finished making the hearts last night. I made 30 of them and put dried beans and peas in them for the filling. I will mail them tomorrow so my DD has them for her classes.

I am making some aprons now ( I gathered the fabric yesterday) for cancer patient apron. I saw the post here at MJF. They are really simple 1/2 aprons made with fat quarter fabric and bias tape. I think I can get maybe 10 done before I go to CA in June.

I planted a palm tree by the front door and hope it does well. I would like to get a palm or 2 for the back yard. So far there is a peach, fig and pear tree in back. The stevia, rosemary and other herbs are doing really well. I still don't know how to use the stevia plant leaves.

My DH has a dr. appointment down in Neptune Beach this morning. I am going with him and then we can lunch there and have some crab cakes. Well, I will probably have a salad.

Hugs and squeezis,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  05:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Here is a picture of the Bean Bag Hearts I made.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  06:11:21 AM  Show Profile
Cute duck, Patty. They are so precious when first born, aren't they?
Nancy, like the hearts!!! I am sure DD will like the nice bright colors.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  06:21:36 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! Sun is shining...temps headed toward the 80's today...and for the next week!

Love the duck, Patty. Do you have a pond? I don't know anything about raising ducks. Or are you raising them for food?

Nancy, what colorful hearts. So cute! ; )

Don't have a lot of time, gals....lot to do before returning to work tomorrow....whew!

Holly, I built a raised bed for my strawberries this year also...although not near as elaborate as yours! That is gorgeous!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  08:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Thought I'd show off my gladiolas (sp) and pansy plants.

That last one, you can see one of my little doggies looking at me, probably wondering what I'm doing.
I planted the glads 2 years ago. The first year, I just got green leaves. Last year, I got a couple of sickly looking flowers that were so thin they just fell over before they bloomed. Finally, this year, I got something pretty. Pansys, well...I just love pansys all the time, and everywhere. I planted pansys in my veggie garden for prettyness!

Marianne - You should take the morphine, sweetie. I've been taking the time release caps for 3 months and my pain is finally bearable. Although, my dr never suggested the attached pump thing.
By the way, Medical Lake?? It wouldn't happen to be close to an Air Force Base would it? It sounds so familiar. We were stationed there for 15 months back in 1982-1983.

Holly - I love what you did for your strawberries. I have one corner of my yard where nothing grows except weeds. Full sun too. I'm going to look around my house to see what I can find to make something like that. Do you know if it's ok to transplant strawberries when they're setting fruit? I have lots of green strawberries on my plants, but they're all stuffed together in a one square foot pot.

Janiee - I'm so glad Sally is doing better and that your vet is letting you pay on time. Mine sure wouldn't.

Nancy - Those bean bag hearts are so cute. I made some for my kids when they were little, only I put long grain white rice in them. That way, when they had a boo boo, I could put the heart in the microwave for 90 seconds and that warmed them up. I could also put them in the freezer for a cold boo boo healer.

Patty - BIG Congrats, sister. Farm Girl of the Month!! Where's the party?? Who's bringing the lemon aid? And that little duckling is so cute! Daughter & I went to our local "General Store" that sells chicks and they let her hold them & let them peck at her fingers. She loved it so much. I wish I lived where I could have chicks.

Daughter & I spent 4 hours in the garden yesterday. It had rained a tiny bit in the early morning, then the sun came out. We planted lots of bell peppers & a couple more tomatoes. Planted marigolds too. I love marigolds as much as I love pansys!! Did you know there are white marigolds now too? I found a see pack with yellow, gold & white seeds. I've planted half the pack to see what I get.
By the time we finished, my daughter had to help me get off the ground. Every year, I say 'this will probably be my last garden', then spring comes around, and I'm out in the dirt again. It just gets harder and harder to bend over, kneel down, and then get up. I say, it's not the getting down, it's the getting up!! I'll post pics of garden when it finally takes off. Oh, it started raining almost as soon as we got in back in the house. Perfect timing. It has rained ever since. All night, and now all morning. Just a steady easy rain - not a pouring drench.

Nancy - how did you get your Stevia to grow? I planted 2 seed packets of them, and only got a couple of spindly plants that just withered away. I want to grow it to dry and use. I understand it's much better than sugar or even other sugar substitutes?

That's enough for now. Gotta go open greenhouse so the plants left inside get fresh air.

Later sisters!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  12:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Gosh - been so busy - and doing I barely know what. Just "stuff." We were in Oakhurst last weekend and will be going again this weekend. We are SO fortunate to have Eric living with us as he takes care of everything whenever we are gone. And, then, of course, the house is never empty ... whether we are gone for a weekend or a couple of weeks.

Thank you all for all the kudos on the apron. It doesn't look like the project it was. (No raw edges ANYwhere)

Kathy, my pretty, your Wiz of Oz apron sounds delightful.
Those pictures are great. I like the flowers - and the red shutters and house trim.

Bunny - am x-ing my fingers for your quilt. Give us an update, please.

Patty - Batman logo is just an iron-on applique. It actually took some surfing on the web to find it in that size.

And, by the way, love the cabinet. I have an "orphan" cabinet that couldn't be used (slight warp in the back or something) when my kitchen cabs were installed here 8 years ago. It's nice maple ... but just won't work anywhere here - it's been a catchall in the garage - now, thanks to you, it will go to Oakhurst to become something wonderful (I hope.)

And speaking again of Oakhurst ... our move there will happen next spring. We will probably put the Cupertino house on the market in April or May. That is the best market for selling. And it will also be a good time for Larry to retire. He just passed the 30 year mark at the company he works for and it will benefit us if he works past January 1. So, if you come out here pretty much anytime (weekdays) chances are really good that I'll be at the airport to welcome you! If you will e-mail me your phone number we can coordinate. I actually wanted to call you for something some time ago and I can't now recall what it was for. Then I wanted to call you to thank you for all those marvelous FGOTM gifts you sent but still didn't have your phone number.

And now, I'm so proud and happy for you - May FGOTM! Okay, I'll admit it ... and I hope everyone will forgive me for this ... but I "took it upstairs" when Holly started pondering the May Girl. I really wanted you to be FGOTM, too. I should have known, though, that she - being the Wise Woman she is - would pick you right off. This thread is going to get a reputation for holding close to our own. How many "Over 50" women have been honored in a row. So far this year, every one is a poster here!

I haven't seen, heard of, or done May baskets in forever. I think since I was growing up in Minnesota. I think I will try to stir something up along those lines when we get to Oakhurst.

Love the mud wrestling winner picture! Also, the newborn duck. How adorable is that!

You have fun with your gf ... I'm sure we won't hear from you for a couple of days. But your post will be packed with Patty-Pizazz when you're telling us of her visit.

Janiee ... Good to see you - and although the vet bill is steep, Sally is doing well. That's got to be a relief. I hope your other doggy is going to be okay. Bad cat!

Nancy & Patty ... I, for the most part, use cloth napkins, too. They are just nicer than paper. But, I do use paper towels regularly. I try to be as green as I can - but some things just catch up with me and I take the easy way.

Stevia is my first "go-to" sweetener. Truvia is 2nd. I do use sugar but more for the texture than taste. I think the others are natural and delicious for sweetening. Not to mention the calories benefit. I think I will try planting stevia when we are settled in Oakhurst. Or, maybe I'll just try growing some in a pot.

Love those heart beanbags, gf.

Thelma - "New Words?" Oh, my, Mrs. Santa - you ARE full of surprises! Glenda claims she has a repertoire of "Special Words" but I've never heard her use them. Of course, I would n-e-v-e-r, ever, cuss .... oops! I think it's a sin to tell a lie. Never heard that it's a sin to use colorful language (keeping it PC) though.

Auntie M ... I am so sorry to hear about your uncle's passing away. There will be such emptiness for your aunt. I will add your family to my prayers.

On the up side - you gotta love a man who scatters rose petals where you will walk. My DH covered the kitchen floor with rose petals - once - long ago.

Holly, I am so impressed by that strawberry tower! And, I like your photos posted big. No squinting. Oh, how I often wish I had the "power" and stamina and strength I had in my 50s.

Oh, good cat!

Thank you for the wonderful card with the photo of the grosshawk. You've got talent, m'dear! And your note was so thoughtful.
Baby Oil? Well, I'll be darned! I didn't know that ... thought SSS had a monopoly on the bug repel market.

Janet ... Hip replacements? Okay, you are officially on the "recovery list" - Even 3 years isn't such a long time when you have had something major like that!

Dianne - I was going to hunt you down to find out what was going on. There are a few on here that know that when I become attached to someone ... I'm not going to let them disappear with no explanation. I do understand, though, that sometimes "life" gets in the way. But I was leaning on you a bit after surgery "Dianne says ... " It's good to see you back, gf. Holly is some kind of glue for us all, isn't she?

Marianne - I hope you have a honeymoon everytime your DH returns from a trip. I still remember those "hearts". And I'm glad that after the topsoil incident you still love him.

Our daffodils are done blooming in Oakhurst and little blue flowers have covered the yard by the front door. I am going to try planting a lilac bush this year. Lilac is a nostalgic fragrance for me. Growing up (in MN) there was a huge bush, at the corner of the house, that in early summer was loaded - I mean- loaded - with flowers. My mother would have vases of them everywhere there was a surface to put them on. I loved them! The fragrance was intoxicating.

It's good, sometimes, Marianne, to have a place where you can set out what is going on with you physically. Sort of like sorting your thoughts or clearing your mind. You not liking the physician who is recommending this device is what I would call "intuition." You know, intuitively, what is best for you. Your condition affects the quality of your life ... and I hope you have felt supported here. I don't think you are giving up ... just giving this idea a rest. Maybe permanently - or not.

About planting .... I'm going to try the raw egg thing, too. I knew about eggshell water (my grandma) ... but am learning new things here all the time. Banana peels? And eggshells crumpled around the base? All so interesting.

Karen ... Hey, glad to see you checking in. Another rhubarb fancier!

Penny! How was first day at work? I hope they appreciate you as much as we do.

I have been sitting here trying to catch up - waaay too long. And this post is going on forever. Hopefully, I have touched bases with all since I was last on. If not, I beg forgiveness - and you can call me on it.

Oh, almost forgot to report ... my teeth are clean, my car is washed and filled with gas, my groceries are bought, my laundry is done, my bills are paid, I'm almost half-way through "Then Again" (Diane Keaton) and Melissa Gilbert is still Dancing With the Stars! Guess now I should give a go at cleaning the house. Certainly don't want to overdo, though.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on May 02 2012 1:03:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  3:04:55 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I live two miles from Fairchild Air Force Base. We moved here in '03, so our pathes didn't cross, but it is nice to think of the world being a bit smaller! Your glads are gorgeous. And I did notice your little doggie!!

Nancy, What do you do in CA for the summer? I grew up in Sacramento Delta area, my husband is from Chula Vista. We met at college in San Luis Obispo, moved to Monterey in 86 and lived in Napa Valley from 91 to 98. Pretty much got the state covered!

Darlys, thanks for your kind words about my "thinking out loud" regarding the surgery idea. I will see my GP on the 22nd and consider talking to someone else about pain options or staying the course ... Appreciate everyone even reading through it all! I did learn that you are absolutely correct that my intuition about the doctor was really what I "did't like." His personality was fine, he just isn't for me. Just hopped over to Amazon to see Then Again. I love Dianne Keaton (and Jaime Lee Curtis). do you recommend the book?

So I am taking a bit of an afternoon rest after grocery shopping this a.m. Watched a little junk tv and called my MIL to check on her. Now I am just enjoying the gentle snoring of the 12 year old lab on the the pillow next to the floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook "Mollie's Canyon" BTW, the dog is named Mollie. Others call the canyon "Deep Creek" and before that it was known as "Cougar Canyon." But, since this dear ol' girl has spent nine years with her chin on the window sill staring out at the canyon, we have always called it Mollie's Canyon. And cursed when the deer, turkeys, moose or occasional bobcat set Mollie barking. You see, Mollie has a lisp. She spits when she barks. Ask my UPS man, he was astounded when I told him and stood in awe as Mollie sprayed the sidelight windows next to our front door. Finally had to ask him to leave or I was going to return to a virtual sauna in the entry. Mollie is black and lumpy. But she is one heck of a greeter. She knows whoever happens down our drive has made the trip specifically to see her. And she rewards them for the effort. Whether they want her to or not. She has an iron tail that could lame a horse. She moves my stove if she is excited while standing next to it - Plus it makes a gosh-awful noise! She has never lost that exuberance although she is slower getting up the stairs these days. I know she won't be with us too terribly much longer, but she sure brightens my day. As long as I watch what I feed her... do not give this dog a boiled egg.

I will ramble more later. Hope everyone is doing great.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  3:40:43 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry girls I have been out of touch. Went on my Farmgirl Road Trip in April with Marilyn (mountainmama) to meet farmgirls, met CJ, Rain K., Laurie C. and Sharon D., all Colorado Girls, we had soooooooooooooooo much fun. Then hubby came home for a couple weeks visit, he leaves Friday, and I have been sick since last Friday. I have Strep and a Sinus infection and at my age it seems to take so much longer to get over the crud. But, the antibiotics should kick in any day now:-)
So, I am still here just not on the forums a whole lot as I try to feel better.
Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  5:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Finally got my quilt remade. So glad it's done. It turned out great. Sigh of relief....

So much going on. It's getting hard to keep up.

Holly, I love the strawberry tower. I think the big pictures are fine too. Don't stress.

Patty, congrats on FGOTM. Enjoy the glory!

Sorry I got to go and fix dinner.

Thinking about everyone even though I don't comment on everyone.

Later all.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  6:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Nancy- now that you have filled the hearts with beans I will tell you that I use these little plastic beads I buy by the bag at the material store. They are washable. I found them first when I was putting them in the bottoms of dolls so the doll would have a heavy rear end and sit down. They are a little bigger than BBs. If I had a brain I would have remembered sooner.

I do like crab cakes.

Kathy your flowers are beautiful. Do you not have to pull the gladiola bulbs in the fall? I have not even planted mine yet.

Marianne I agree with Darlys about the doctor and your intuition. If you do not like the doctor you will not trust the doctor and healing is much harder. I laughed and laughed about Mollie.

Bunny I am glad your quilt finished up beautifully. I hope your school work is going smoothly.

I went to the 4th of July meeting tonight. I arrange the children's games. I like to do it because it is a short time commitment with a definite end. This year there will be the Civil War reenactment brigade coming. The will set up camp and have a cannon and I do not know what all else. Usually I put up an 8 foot climbing pole that has crisco on it and a 12 foot pole that is freshly peeled so as the day wears on the sap dries. The children have the best time trying to climb the poles. No one has made it up the greased pole yet. One year I had a 15 foot pole and put grease on the top four feet. We hung a $20 bill from the top of it. Made the climb more exciting. It is the highlight of many children's year.
I did mention that I could bring one of my pigs down for a greased pig contest but we thought it might be illegal and that PETA might get after us. So, I suggested bringing down a rooster for a Rocky chase. (remember the movie Rocky where he ties his good arm behind his back and chases the chicken?) We had a good laugh. We thought the cannon from the Civil War reenactors might upset a cow for cow plop bingo so maybe next year.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  7:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Only on for a minute, then off to bed I go. Darlys, Yes, I had total hip replacements on both my hips and also my right shoulder, all within 15 months of each other. I have a bone desease, and my bones crumbled and collapsed, so those ones needed to be replaced. I was in a wheelchair for 2 1/2 years, so I came a long way in a few years. Nothing will knock me down for too long.
Holly, we used to have re-enactments here every year. I loved going to them, but they quit them about 6 years ago. Sounds like a great 4th celebration you have there. We only have food stands and the police cut a car apart and give tours in the fire truck. Same thing every year.
Bunny, glad your quilt came out for you. Too bad you had to start over though.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  05:11:29 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, your sinus infection does not sound like much fun. Hope the meds have started to ease up the pressure for you. Glad to know we can look forward to hearing from you soon.

Bunny, I had no doubt you would finish your quilt on time and in a beautiful manner. Sorry that you had that added pressure though. Best of luck at your class! What will you do with the extra quilt?

Holly, you are so clever to have so many ideas of good old fashioned fun for the kids. Especially getting them to be active! I bet the twenty made it more interesting ... that is a bit of cash for young ones. Love the cow plop bingo idea, too. Would it be a money-earner? Do you sell the bingo cards? Maybe next year when the cannon is gone. Mollie would be thrilled that you loved hearing about her, but not surprised. She has a healthy sense of self - just don't get near her when she "says" sense of self. You know, the lisp.

Janet, wow, your journey the last few years is quite a story of strength. How wonderful it must be to be free of a wheelchair. Ending up in a wheelchair is my biggest fear. My hips are wearing badly because when my spine was fused it changed the angles in the joints, so the wear is not natural. Back then the surgeons didn't know better, they have changed the way they fuse spines in scoliosis patients now to accomodate the sway in the small of the back. Mine is completely flat, no sway at all and that is the problem. Hip replacements are definitely in my future. The news of all the failures is very frightening, though. It is so nice to hear of a success!!

So, today, dh gets home about 1 pm. That means his journey started at 1:30am my time, so I better not plan on his being awake much past 8 pm. If I am lucky! But, home always feels more like home with my guy here and that makes me happy. Next week he heads to Chicago, only two time zones away. And then his travel will be mostly west coast again. Yea. This is the chocolate season for meetings and shows. No big candy holidays right now. The industry gears up late/July early August for back-to-school/fall baking. And then they really go ... Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's, Easter, Mother's Day. Everything, even chocolate has its season. And that concludes our chocolate industry lesson for the day. You may breathe a sigh of relief.

This weekend Spokane holds its annual Bloomsday run. It is a run that brings professionals from all over the world. The last few years winners have been from Kenya I believe. Both male and female. It is fun to see the birdseye view of all the runners crossing the bridge with the whitewater below. Not so fun if you need to try to get downtown or across town for any reason. But, it is great business for many small business owners and everyone needs it these days.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  05:26:17 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I can taste your strawberries already, I do love strawberries. The pictures are perfect at that size we can see more.
Congratulations Patty on FGOTM what an honor, love the picture of the duck, what a sweetie.
All the pictures of your ladies flowers make me jealous living at 9000 feet.
Love seeing all the animals and projects made, thanks for sharing everyone.
Have a beautiful day.
Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  06:11:47 AM  Show Profile

Here's my gal, Mollie watching her canyon.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  06:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Marianne - Goodness sakes, girl. Where in Sacramento did you live? I lived in Sacto from 1969 to 1982. Talk about a small world. I lived mostly in South Sac, but also in Rancho Saco area for a year.
My oldest daughter was born while we were stationed at Fairchild AFB in 1982. We were only there for one winter & that was the year they had 12 feet fall throughout the winter (not all at one time).

I've been working for about 4 hours every day in my garden. I have a vision that right now only I can see. Husband just stands back and thinks I'm crazy. I bid $15 for an old, paint covered, wooden fold up ladder. I put it in my garden to hold my up some pots and to grow vertical plants. A friend gave me the head & foot of an old brass bed that I also put there. I have an old wooden dresser I plan to use also. Yesterday, I needed to put a piece of plywood on the ground as the bottom of a pots & flower grouping (it'll keep weeds out)& asked hubby if I could use his circular saw and he wanted to know why I would need a saw in my garden? I told him, he shook his head and said I should just put the pots down & pull the weeds as they come. I figure preventative measures would be better. He doesn't understand my idea. He laughed when I spread layer and layers of newspapers after planting my tomatoes and peppers the other day. He says I put down mulch, why the paper? Just to stop the argument, I told him I put it down so the mulch has something to sit on. He nodded like he understood & went back in the house. Later, I baked him some chocolate chip cookies and then he was happy!
I will post pictures as soon as it looks like something.

I took the covering off the newly planted beans yesterday and was really surprised at their growth!! I covered them because the first time we planted - several weeks ago - nothing seemed to grow but weeds. I guessed the birds got them. Last week when daughter & I reseeded, we covered the whole patch with black landscapers cloth. Lets water through and holds in heat. Well, now they are all up a couple of inches all over. Neighbor lady thinks I'm a bit off my rocker when she hears me talking to my plants. I was picking off bugs & slugs the other day & she wanted to know if I had my phone in my ear or was I talking to the bugs. I just smiled & waved to her. She'll be singing a different tune when I pile all my excess veggies on her!!

As always, ladies, glad to hear from all of you. I love hearing about your lives and duties and plans. It makes me feel like I have friends and we're all sitting around, sipping tea and going over our day. It make me feel good. Thanks for being here.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  06:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I was born and raised on the Sacramento River between two small towns: Isleton and Walnut Grove. I went to school in Rio Vista. My sister lives in Sacramento in the Pocket Area. It is a pretty city. I haven't been there since 2006 when I lost my parents. Can't quite face going back again ... maybe someday. I left the area in 1980 when I went to college. I feel like you are all my friends, too. And I am quite thankful my neighbors are not close enough to hear me in my garden! Hint: bring your dog out with you next time!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  08:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning All! Popping in for a quick (haha) hello.

So much going on, here and with you all too. Here, the office has been soooo busy with everyone wanting the laser treatments; so many good things happening with that; amazing, just amazing. My granddaughter's birthday was yesterday; she's eleven, now and getting to be soooo grown-up. My daughter and her friends were lamenting on facebook about how old they were, with their children getting older…too funny. I had to comment on it… *tee-hee*

Anyway, ladies, I wanted you all to know that I, for the first time in years, was able to go outside and pull weeds. I am trying to be careful not to over do, but it is so hard. I was breathless; I am severely out of shape, but NO PAIN! I can't believe it! I am praying this lasts and lasts and lasts. I even re-potted a hibiscus tree in the office this morning and again, NO PAIN! I have little spurts of energy and I'm hoping as I start moving more that the spurts will turn into hours; maybe even a whole day. Wouldn't that be great?

I'm going to try to do some catching up here, but if I miss anybody, please forgive me.

Firstly, Congratulations Patty! New FGOM!

Glenda, it's so great news about your brother! I'm glad you're doing better too!

Holly, I just love that tower planter you made for you strawberries…I have some spare lumber lying under the deck…hmmm… I wonder if I could make a smaller one…hmmm. I'll need to get my saw from my son-in-law, but there's possibility there. Thanks for the lovely card, by the way. It made me smile and *sniff, sniff,* well, you get the picture…
Cherry trees…and lilacs….mmmmm; I bet they are beautiful. Your pictures are just fine the way they are; don't worry about the size; I like them big.

Marylyn, so sorry for your loss; I'm holding you up GF.

Marianne, I'm so, so glad you've decided against that surgery; it does not sound promising at all. The rate of success is not too good; 50/50 odds won't even be touched in Vegas, you know. Go with your gut, my friend, you can't go wrong. Your dog sounds great and the way you told about her had me laughing like crazy.

Janet, new glasses may be just the ticket, but 1-2 migraines a day…? GF have that checked out; don't make me come there! Lol

Penny, all my best hopes for your job; you're great, so you should have no problem whatsoever.

Nancy, those bean bags are just too cute; love them!

Kathy, your flowers are simply gorgeous; I don't have any yet, but maybe soon. Then I will share. I acquired a Lincoln rose bush and it's leafing out nicely. I also was give a couple hydrangeas as well, but just now realized that they are sitting on the wrong side of the house; they are on the deck, which faces west and no shade. Uh-oh. They aren't in bad shape, but I better move them when I get home or they won't stay good for long.

Bunny, there was no doubt in my mind whatsoever that you would get that quilt finished and that it would look great. I'd love to see it.

It's been in the eighties and nineties here with some thunderstorms last week and the week before.

The town I work in is having their big annual festival this weekend and it's going to be hot; I'll be here at the office…in the air conditioning.

Now that I've caught up, more or less, maybe tomorrow I'll try to answer the questions about the laser therapy that a couple of you were asking a couple/few days ago…

For now….

Squishes and Hugs all around!

Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  08:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Just want to jump on for a min. to let everyone know my day went great yesterday. I was tired and back and feet hurt, but I had a blast....I enjoy being around people so much...and yesterday was senior day, where they get an extra 5% off groceries so it was such a great day. I also had a woman give me two pennies with crosses cut out of the center of them...so sweet. I work tomorrow at 3 till 9....so all is good, I get my new schedule tomorrow too so will let ya'll know my schedule for next week. Thank you all for the encouraging words

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  09:22:08 AM  Show Profile
Darlys, so glad to have you back. I missed you!

Marianne, I love the story about Mollie. I had my big lug Scooby-Doo for 13 years. He was 142 lbs of loyal dog. I miss him all the time. Here is a picture of him and my dalmatian Dice. They are both gone now. I still have my 4 kitties though.

I lived in Oakley for about 8 years 1988 to 1996 then moved back to the mountains up by Twain Harte. I love the road from Rio Vista to Sacramento along the levees. Other than the wind I envied the farm life out there.

Kathy, sounds like you have been a busy garden girl! Good for you. I wish I had that kind of energy. I'm planting my garden in Stawbales this year. Tomatoes, squash and peppers this year. It is kind of a test to see how it goes. I'm going to have a salad and herb garden in a traditional planter garden too though. Don't let your husband discourage you. He will figure it out later. Besides tell him it will keep you busy and easy to find.

Kathryn, so glad about your renewed energy. Take it slow! I'm sure it will build up over time. I'm so happy for you though!

Penny, good going on your first day! I hope it stays that way.

Here is a picture of my quilt I had to redo.

Not sure what to do with the first one. Because I washed it, it isn't all new looking and pretty anymore. Just looks like a wall hanging. I might do some kind of drawing later. I need to get more fabric and stuff on my Artfire website. Maybe after I do that, I'll do a drawing to get people to go look. I was thinking I'll hid a picture of something on the site and everyone that finds it, gets into the drawing. It's a ways off though. I really need to get lots more stuff on there.

Anyway, I need to go. I have a cat draped over my arms as I type and she won't move for nothin! It's getting hard to type.

Later all, homework to do. She Will have to get off my arms for that.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  11:04:26 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon. What a wonderful day it is here...straight from 40's and 50's weather to 80's and 90's...lol. Everyone make sure you check out my blog and see the wonderful things hubby brought back from ohio. He is a "picker" and will pick up what others throw out on their curbs on trash day. It was like Christmas for me!
I had an appointment with the heart Dr yesterday and stress test is scheduled for Monday. He added a cholesterol medicine and a baby aspirin to my diet of medications.
Janet- Gosh you went through alot in 15 months. Remind me not to complain about an backache too much. I can not imagine going through all that. You must be a very strong woman.
Holly- The poles sound fun. Heck I would even climb a pole for $20.
Thank you so much for the bucket! I was so surprised to see the bucket of goodies on my porch when returning from the Dr. I love the books and will for sure pass them on when I am done "studying" them. How wonderful to have a tool bucket! You know that will be used. Now I can just keep my tools in it and carry to the coops...no more of the many trips back and forth. We enjoyed the wild blueberry jam for breakfast. OMGOSH, it was so good. And the maple candy---TO DIE FOR! And of course the framed award and the personalized clay character I will cherish them forever. Thank you, thank you! I can't thank you enough!
Bunny- Wonderful that you finished the quilt. It is always nice to finish a project. Now you can concentrate on another project. I have so many unfinished that I will never get done. Wow, that must have been one big bed those puppies are on!
Debbie- Your trip sounded wonderul!Hurry and get well now. That sinus infection is going around all over.
Kathryn- I am so glad this treatment is working well for you. Don't overdo it..at least that is what every one tells mee...heehee.
Penny- I think this job is just what you needed to get out of the doldrum slump you were in. I am so happy you like it.
Kathy- Your somebody I would like to hang around. I love working in my garden! I was on pinterest and found a few ideas I will incorporate into my garden this year.
Marianne- I love Mollie! She is beautiful like my 16 yr old "Touchdown". My hubby got home last night after being 8 days in Ohio. Good to see him again. We all poke fun at him and as it seems as though he still lives in Ohio. I am glad to see him home to do some of the chores around here...lol.
Nancy- the hearts are adorable! I am going to look up those aprons. I have made aprons using kitchen curtain panels. I just make a matching tie and run it through the rod pocket on the curtain, gather it up some and stitch the ends so the tie stays in place. I should make a note to put that on my blog soon. :) I have grown stevia. I tried to mix it with my tea leaves when I steeped them but never could get it right. It tasted bitter to me so I gave up. If anyone perfects it's use I would love to know how!
Marylyn, Thelma and Glenda- Hurry back, the place is not the same without you!

Ok, my question of the day- Is there something you eat that others would look at you like you were crazy?
I LOVE Fritos with mustard drizzled over them. I love the taste. :)

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on May 03 2012 11:06:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  12:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon, ladies! You mean I have been reading, devoutly and I haven't been writing??? OMG, sorry! I get so engrossed in everyone's stories that I forget I am supposed to write, too!!!

One of our goats gave birth this morning....it's twins!!!! I am working a twelve hour day today and my husband and I are on the phone through the whole birth!!!! A little boy and a little girl!!!! Whis I could post pictures!!! The reason my husband called me was in case the momma had trouble...I'm the goat midwife!!!

Tuesday, I attended my uncle's funeral.....well, I was expecting a package from UPS. I left the house at one with still no package...okay, it will be one the porch when I get home. I did not think any more about it until we turned onto our drive way...my eyes, straining to see my porch still a quarter of a mile away!!! My heart fell as I walked up my steps...no package....maybe tomorrow. I found a sticker on my door from UPS that says "pick up" I was very upset, because the UPS distributor is 30 miles from my house!!!! There was no phone number on the note, so I went to the web site and couldn't get anything done there....well. Needless to say, I was upset and bummed out all night. Wednesday, I was watching the clock, at 8 a.m. I called UPS's toll free number, when I finally got a real person on the phone, I was explaining my delimma to her, and I heard her repeated saying " mam, mam..." oh, yes? And she asks me very calmly." mam, do you have a pickup truck in your driveway?" I burst into laughter, ran to the pickup truck and removed my package from the front seat!!! I have told on myself to several people and it is still a good laugh!!

I'm at work, gf....Y'all have a wonderful day!!!! And remember, I do keep up everyday!!!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  3:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone
We have had rain here all day. Then thunderstorms complete with hail and lightning. Now it is calmer but more storms on the way for tonight and tomorrow. Guess it's time to break out the ark!! LOL

Holly that looks wonderful. I think i will show it to my DH. He is the builder. I am so NOT!!! LOL

Patty he is so cute. What kind of duck is he/she?

I'm with Marianne. I love the big pictures. I don't need my glasses to see them. LOL

Nancy those are great. So colorful and bright. I love them.

Darlys yes Holly is definatly the glue, But you are also a bit of the binding. I miss reading your posts when you are busy.

Debbie I hope you get to feeling better soon. I hate when the crud hits.

Marianne she is sweet.

Penny glad you had a great day at work. I have always liked working with and around people.

Patty I like peahutbutter and dill pickles. My family thinks I am nuts.

The sky is starting to get black and the wind is picking up. I think I will sign off before the power goes out.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page