thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  05:36:59 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! I wish the sun could have greeted me this morning, But we have had 3 days of rain and it doesn't look like it will get better soon. I just looked at the radar and it spreads far across the midwest. Yesterday morning we got 3' and my folks and sis that live 10 miles SW and SE of us didn't get any. Crazy. We were right on the southern end of the rain. I am going to need hip boots out there today.
I didn't do much yesterday, but today I will make my to-do list and try to accomplish some things.
Phone call from a friend last night in Ohio. She plans on visiting for a long weekend in a couple of weeks. I am TOO excited. I can hardly wait. She will be here for a trip to Soulard's farmer's market and our Farmgirl sisterhood meeting.
Marylyn- I am so sorry to hear of your uncle. I will say a prayer for your family. I wrote a prayer on a piece of paper and placed it in my prayer box, with all the other prayers. I looked through them as I did and said another prayer for Glenda and her brother's healing, for Kathryn's healing, for Ginny and her unspoken request, and this morning I said an extra prayer for all my wonderful friends on this thread. My prayer box not only reminds me to say a prayer for someone still healing, but to thank the Lord for all the answered prayers.
Nancy- It sounds like you had a wonderful day Sat. by the waterfront. Our waterfronts here are the Mississippi, Missouri and Illinois rivers. Not as attractive, but always something to enjoy.
Thelma- I had to chuckle "ok good thing this is a clean site as I can teach everyone some new words about now". I can imagine your frustration with the pic posting. My MIL came from Italy and sometimes she curses in Italian. We call her up on it..lol Of course we don't know what she is saying, so she gets by with it...lol. Seriously, If I can help with the pics, private message me your phone number and I will be glad to help if I can.
Janet- you got alot done GF! I only wish it would quit raining so I can get something done! I love Hollyhocks. My deceased husband hated them and I used to tease him and tell him I was going to plant them on his grave. :( He always gets tulips from the tulips he planted instead. I have never really cared for tulips.
Holly- I hope your pig proofing is effective...lol. Darn pigs and cows always seem to get out when you are all dressed to go to a Dr or dentist appointment or dressed to go to church.
Glenda- Just for the record yesterday...I didn't do diddily squat. I still have laundry to fold from yesterday. Hopefully today I will get something done.
Darlys- How long until you are in Oakhurst for good? I so want to plan a trip to see my daughter before you leave Cupertino for good.

Well, It is 7:30. I think the rain has let up a bit. I better put my hip boots on and go take care of the birds while it isn't pouring rain, and make me a list for today.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  06:41:19 AM  Show Profile
Holly your pictures are really nice. I like the ones of Ross. He is so cute. And the ones of the bird are great. I love seeing the really good closeup you got. What beautiful coloring that bird has. I am glad to hear about your pigs. I think it wil take super pigs to get out of the pen you made them. Are they very noisy? I can just imagine all the oinking going on. :) The little pigs are so cute.

Glenda in Green Fried Tomatoes Kathy Bates told those girls, " I am older and have better insurance." So funny when she did that. Cheesecake is one of my weaknesses. When you mentioned it, my mouth started to water. I haven't had breakfast and cheesecake sounds so yummy. I got a New York cheesecake once as a gift. I didn't share one piece with my family but hid it and ate it all myself.

Thelma I was going to email you and am unable. Please send me your email address. I have a recipe that I want to send you. I am sorry that you are having so much trouble posting the pictures. I sometimes feel like I am the only one who has great difficulty getting pictures posted. Isn't it just so maddening?

Patty the picture of your brother is so cute with all that mud on him. It looks like he was having a lot of fun. I know what you mean about men and the"projects" they want to tackle. My DH is wonderful about getting lots of things done but we also have a few, if not more, things that he wants to do but has not got around to doing. I still have the kitchen cabinet racks in a closet ready to be put in. I am not one to talk about things not being done so I don't get after him.

I use cloth napkins and I really like them. I still use the paper towels but much less than I used to do. I have flour sack dish towels and really like them. They seem to do a very good job. I iron the borders of the dish towels if I am in a ironing mood. I really don't mind ironing since I now sit down to do it. With the steam iron, ironing is not like it was in my mother's day.

We had a big rooster running around the area here the other day and he ran across the street in front of our car. He was a skinny fellow and ran so fast it made me laugh. I thought of you and Holly and your roosters.

Marilyn I wish I could join you to see your goats and cows. I am praying for you and your family. I am sorry to hear about your uncle passing away. That is so sad for your aunt. Married 63 years. Wow! My in-laws have been married for that long. They would not know what to do without each other. How utterly romantic of your husband. What a sweet thing to do and what a good surprise you had at the end of the rose petal trail. Hope you gave him one big hug and kiss.

Patty we haven't had rain for 3 days in a row since we had the tail end of Faye hit here 3 years ago. I can't imagine you sitting around and doing nothing. I am excited for you with your friend visiting. That is going to be a fun time for you. She will have a lot of fun going to the market with you.

Janet your garden sounds wonderful. Makes me want to get out in my back yard and get to work. I have to ask my DH what he has planted out there. He was in the garden yesterday for quite a while planting.

Okay, this post is getting way too long. I am keeping you all in my prayers. Please know Ginny that we love you and pray for you.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  06:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Today is my DH's birthday. He is 60 years old today. I am making him a special breakfast and we are going out to lunch/dinner. I told him that he has to remember to get his Tetnas shot this year. We need to get one every 10 years. Made him laugh.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  3:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone
Sorry I fell off the face of the earth for a while. I really did not expect it to be so busy at work. It was not like this last year!
Thank you for all the birthday cards even the late ones. April birthdays I will get cards out. They will be late, Very Late!!

Holly thank you for the card. it was very much appreciated and needed.

I will probably be hit and miss for a couple of more weeks. I work with Seniors at the High School. The ones who do not have everything together to graduate. So now it is a big scramble to get everything done and in. I have been telling them this since January, but I guess it didn't sink in till after Spring Break!

Holly the pic of Ross was great. He is soooo cute.

Glenda glad your brother is better. I have been banging on the gates of heaven for him and for you.

I will keep you all in my prayers

Need to run

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  4:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Nancy - Please wish your dh a very happy birthday. And insist he gets that tetanus shot. I didn't know you could get tetanus from the ground! Our vet told us that. Well, actually she said the horses could get it from the ground ... hmmm, maybe I should do some research before I alarm everyone! Sorry about that. Nevermind! I'll get back to ya about it.

Holly - glad to hear you have conquered the pigs. I thought goats were the most mischievious animal, I must be wrong!

Patty- we must be sharing similar weather patterns. I enjoyed a great day in the garden yesterday. Today I woke to rain and this afternoon the wind has really kicked up. But the temps are too bad. Fairly normal for our Spring.

Glenda - so glad that you are gaining strength. Looks like you will enjoy the summer!

Bunny - have you had a chance to look up from your sewing machine yet? How is the replacement quilt coming?

Marylyn - My condolences on the passing of your uncle. What a great thing to have had 63 years together! I hope your aunt is OK. But, the loss must be unbearable, poor soul. My parents had been married 54 years and once my dad died, my mom followed soon after. You hear those stories alot, don't you? Like they just refuse to be separated.
Well all day I thought it was Tuesday since dh left yesterday morning on a business trip rather than his usual Monday departure. You really feel simple when you can't keep the day straight no matter how many times you remind yourself!

It has been a long run of being on my own with alot of travel for dh. This is week four of five straight weeks of travel. Usually three or four days of being gone each week. Not too terrible. This week he is in PA, next week it is Chicago. Isn't it funny how we refer to some places as states and others as cities. I didn't even consider saying he was traveling to IL next week. Yet, didn't think to say he is in Lancaster now. HMMM! When the travel is in the same time zone it seems much easier for the both of us. I am so glad he no longer travels internationally.

So, I got alot of seeds started yesterday. It seems late to many of you. But, I can't transfer outdoors until the first week of June. So, this is about right for me. Being Italian I always go way overboard on zucchini, patty pans, crooknecks and tomatoes. I have given up on trying to start tomatoes from seed. I would rather get a pretty good size plant since our season is relatively short. Does everyone bury two-thirds of their tomatoe plants when they plant them? I always put a raw egg in the bottom of the hole, too. My dad was 100% italian and a farmer in CA. I usually have a pretty great crop. Hope he is looking down with pride!

Hope to hear from Penny soon. I know she is pooped from working a long day on her feet, but I sure do miss her.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  4:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Darlys - that was a super apron. So clever.
Kathy - your apron sounded adorable. Any Wizard of Oz fan would have loved it!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  5:02:27 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

WOW Marianne I would have thought that your weather would be milder than mine. We generally do not plant tender crops until the first week of June either. I plant my tomatoes in white 5 gallon buckets on the porch. Yes, I do bury a good share of the stem in the ground. Do you crack the egg or leave it whole. I wonder what it is supposed to do for the tomato plant.

Today I finished my strawberry tower. I bought 20 plants from the Conservation District and put them in it.. It is three tiers high. It is made out of the old pressure treated lumber we took off the porch last fall. I would guess after 18 years the nasty chemicals should be out of the wood. It took 7 tractor bucket loads of manure to fill it. The base is 6' X 6' then the next level is 4' x4' and the top level is 3' X3'. I am so glad that I did not need to move all of that soil by hand and wheelbarrow. I would still be at it.

The weather started out at 30 degrees this morning and by afternoon it must have been in the fifties because I was out in my t-shirt.
The black flies are back. They are not biting yet and the swarming is minimal. I wear a hat so they can not burrow in my hair. I can handle them most other ways but not burrowing in my hair. I usually use baby oil to keep them from biting. It smells a lot better than Skin so Soft.

Dianne I am glad you are alright and have made an appearance. I have been wondering how you are.

I had extra milk this morning so I took it and some leftover food garbage and whey down to the piglets. They stayed back in the hay in their corner until I left and then trotted over to the trough and slurped noisily. Their bellies must have been huge when they finished licking all of the milk off the grain.
The pigs are not particularly noisy. When they are walking around if I am in their pen they make their pig noises. If you stick your tongue out between your lips and blow deep raspberries that is their sound.
Pigs burrow under the fence. Goats jump over. I have had goats and I think I prefer pigs. Our pigs have a big enough area that they should be happy and not to challenging.

Glenda I am glad you are feeling better. Jan I hope your new hips are less painful for you than your old ones and allow you a better quality of life.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  5:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Ok everyone hop on over to Across the Fence to see who the Farmgirl of the Month for May is.

It was a hard choice but an easy one as well. The responsibility of choosing weighed heavily on me all month. I wished we had a committee to discuss it with.

I am so happy to have chosen this wonderful woman to succeed me as Farm Girl of the Month.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  5:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Holly - I usually put banana peels in the bottom of the hole before I put in the tomato plant. I crush the egg shells and sprinkle them around the base of the tomato. That way, the nutrients get into the dirt from the shells, and putting them on top of the soil also keeps the slugs & snails away. (They don't like to cross the sharp edges.)

I planted more beans seeds today. Supposed to rain again tonight, but at least it is getting warmer. Nights in the 50s, days upper 60s - lower 70s. Ah, spring!

Baby finches finally left the nest so I could clean out the porch plants. Also, now I don't have to fear the mama finch trying to 'take us out'!!

Auntie M - So sorry to hear about your uncle. The loss of a family member is great. You're in my prayers. And, what a wonderful husband to line your path with rose petals. Hug him extra....he's a keeper.

Well, goodnight sisters. Sleep well.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  7:11:47 PM  Show Profile
I will be back posting again tomorrow - but right now I just have to say ---

WooHoo - Yay! Patty - MAY Farmgirl of the Month. You deserve this so much! Happy for you ... and more! Holly, you have proven, once again, how wise you are. Patty is the perfect May FGOTM! Again, YaY!

Back tomorrow after the dentist appt.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Country Dreamer
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Lake Villa Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  8:12:34 PM  Show Profile
I too have been missing for a few days. Having caught up with all that is going on with all Sisters here I agree it is hard to keep everything straight. Takes time.....

I am glad that everyone is getting some planting done. Rhubarb is coming up nicely. Wish I lived closer to the Sister who wanted some.

Marylyn, sorry to hear about your uncle. There was also a funeral for an aunt of mine on Saturday along with my father-in-laws memorial luncheon. More than our share of passings lately.

Eyes are closing, busy days, short evenings and seemingly shorter nights make for a sleeping person by 10pm. Back to keeping up daily.

Karen
Farmgirl #3975
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  8:26:22 PM  Show Profile
Yyyyyaaaaaeeehhhh!!!! Congratulations, Patty! A very practical choice!!!

I also want to thank everyone for your condolence wishes...tonight was visitation and I got to see a lot of cousins. My aunt is in the mid-stages of Alzimers and she seemed to be doing pretty well. The funeral is tomorrow at 2 o'clock and the burial is at a cemetery right up the gravel road from their farm. They had lived on that farm for 63 years and drove past that cemetery everyday. Tomorrow will be the trial for my aunt. When I walked up to her this evening she just hugged me and if it hadn't been so crowded, I'm not sure she would have let go.

We got a rain this morning...not much, but I'm grateful for what we got!

Hope everyone with pain will find relief...and those suffering will find joy....and I wish you all love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  06:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Wow have I gotten so far behind....

Patty Congrats for being FGOTM you so deserve it...I am so happy for you.

Holly, what a great choice....Love the pic of Ross, he is such a little doll

Nancy tell DH happy birthday....I hope you get hubby to get that shot.

Auntie M Sorry for your loss. hugs and prayers coming your way

Hi Karen, I can't remember if I have said hi before, I've kind of been MIA, but welcome...I know you will love it here

Kathy, love the sound of the Wizard of Oz apron, I collet WOZ and even have a tat of the ruby slippers and one of yellow brick road that I designed myself...yep this old granny has tats...lol

I know I have missed some but please forgive me...I love you all and hope not to get so far behind again, I've said it before, I know...but so it is..lol...I miss ya'll... I start work tomorrow...so wish me luck, one that I do well and the other that my arthritis stays at bay...thanks

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  06:28:29 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, what an honor! Holly- How can I ever fill your shoes, and Darlys' and Penny's, and all those before? There have been some fantastic women chosen as FGOTM! I read the first line of your post to hubby and had to stop. He ask me "Are you getting ready to cry?" Thank you Holly. It means so much to me. I felt like I wanted to jump around and scream "she likes me, she likes me" just like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer....lol.
I am going to put a last minute May Basket together for my elderly neighbor today. She lost her husband last week. When I talked to her yesterday she said "I know he is in a better place now, but I sure am not". My heart just broke. Her kids will move her out of the house and in with them within the next 2 weeks. I so hate to see her go. She gets all my extra eggs and the overflow when I cook too much. :) What will I do with it all now?
Marylyn- When one of my best friends and neighbor in Ohio passed away from ovarian cancer the hurst drive right in front of her home on the way to the cemetary. She was 78 years old. she lived there well over 50 years.
Karen- Glad to see you check in. Hey, we are almost neighbors. :) Well, kinda. :/
Darlys- Thanks for the kudos! All you before me will be tough shoes to fill.
Kathy- I had never heard of banana peels. If it weren't so wet out, I would go out and scoop up my tomatoe plants and put banana peels under them. I don't have to worry about slugs and snails as much as I have to worry about chickens..lol
Marianne- Do you crack the egg in the hole, just like you would in a skillet? My mother-in-law is 100% Italian. She came over here during the war with her family. Her parents returned when her father grew old as he wanted to live his last years back home. My husband still has an aunt and cousins over there. So our meals seem to cater to my husbands heritage. He loves pasta at almost every meal. His mother has taught me alot. I make alot of homemade tortellini and canolli. My husband is retired now, but since we have moved to Illinois he has to do alot of traveling back and forth to Ohio to keep up with our house there.
Glenda- Where do you get the Vietnamese coffee? Do you buy the beans and fix it at home? I am such a coffee junkie.
Nancy- I am not one to talk about things not being done either...I just do it myself. I am not a nagger. He worries about me getting hurt, so I usually wait until he makes a trip to Ohio. :)
Penny- Good luck on the new job! I hope all goes well. I hope you fit right in and find a home there. I hope your co-workers are pleasant and easy to get along with. Cause we all know you are! Don't forget you have a home here, and check in when you have a few minutes.

Well off to check off some thing on my list. Have a great day.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  06:56:28 AM  Show Profile
hello gals! have not been here for awhile but i am now back! I am so glad April is over...even my little sister called me this morning to remind me that it is now gone for 1 year. April is the month we lost people we loved so it just makes it hard to be around people then but now it is over...yipee....
the pictures of ross are too cute --love the batman apron (wish i would get interested in making more aprons--the story of the music war between cars is a hoot! could just picture it and it was great!!!
took my mom for a mri yesterday and hopefully we will find out soon exactly what they think is wrong with her and how to help her. It is hard to see the proud independant woman she used to be turn into one who isn't.
done some house cleaning - had to work on my vacuum cleaner - it just wasn't picking up like i need it to. the weather is so warm all of the "critters" are coming out so i am having to really needing my vacuum to do good. did bleach my sinks and start on a two quilts - one is from Bonnie Hunter Quiltville - a kiss for jared and the other is a baby dresden plate quilt with repro 30's fabric. didn't do any more canning because of the vet bill for Sally is over $400 and i need to pay that off asap.. Thank God for people who let you pay off as you can. Glenda great news about your brother!!!!
well, better get to work
love you gf's!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  07:18:22 AM  Show Profile
So nice to hear from Penny! I had lost track and thought she had already started her new job. Special thoughts going her way today for a job well done and extra lubrication for her joints!!

Holly, I think we may be about the same longitude. Our nights are getting very short, it is still dusky til about 9 and the sun is up soon after 5 am. And it will just continue to get more and more daylight for what? seven more weeks. It is a very restless time of year. If we drive down into Spokane - about an 800 foot drop in elevation - they get to start planting around Mother's Day. This is just about 12 miles away! It is the difference in elevation that makes the big difference. But, oh those beautiful plants that call to me!
I believe the reason behind the raw, unbroken egg in the bottom of the tomato planting is so that it breaks down slowly to release calcium, etc. directly to the roots. I don't have snails or slugs here so I don't have to break them on top of the ground.

Right now my plum and pear trees are just finishing up their blooming. My garden is so colorful with hundreds of tulips: red, orange, yellow, white and daffodils! Everything is very green and this morning a bit damp since we had rain overnight. Next I will look forward to the fragrance of the lilacs! The bushes are leafed out and the blossoms are getting started. They won't be fragrant until June, though, so I have plenty of time to anticipate.

I am so intrigued by your stawberry tower, Holly. That would probably work really well for me. A lot less stooping for the crickety back and hips .... Dh built me two raised beds two weeks ago. 4 by 8 and 4 by 6 feet long! Then he overfilled them with (what he considered) topsoil from the field. I had been VERY explicit about my plans for the soil and where the extra was coming from. My mistake was being explicit while his laptop was open. All is corrected, although it took the entire day and way too much manual labor. I still love him.

So, I was recently reading about the BPAs in canned food. This is a new idea to me. Didn't realize BPAs lined most cans and according to the article on MSN, a blood draw taken between two individuals who had eaten soup - one homemade, the other canned Progresso - the difference in BPAs in the blood was 1000 times higher in the canned soup eater. Crud.

I use canned kidney, black, garabanzo beans on our salads EVERY night. We love the flavor, texture and color that they add. I know I could cook them from dried beans, but they won't be the same. I will finish what I have on hand but buy no more. BPAs scare me.

Well, it is nice to be back a bit more regularly. I had a setback after seeing that pain specialist. His idea of what would help me really gave me something to think about. (He wanted to implant a device that releases pain reliever - morphine - directly into my spine.) It would have been a very complicated undertaking because my spine was completely fused when I was 16, so an operation to make a whole in my spine would be the first step. Then a trial to see if they could get the appartus into my spine. Then if the trial worked, another operation to implant the device. Then regularly filling the reservoir and surgery about every two years to change the battery. Oh, and it has about a 50% failure rate which means add another surgery for rehooking the device because it comes detached.

Obviously, from my tone, you can tell I have decided against it. If everything went right, it would be a better quality of life. It just seemed like a very big IF. AND, I didn't like the doctor. No small thing in itself. Of course, I could just find a different doctor if I really wanted this procedure. It has been suggested to me before.

One of the drawbacks is the size of the device. It is about the size of a hockey puck and it must be protected. So they look for a "padded" area on your body - usually tummy. I am kinda bony, so this offers another problem. It would definitely stick out and be at risk for damage and more "disconnection" than normal.

Sorry to go on and on. It has weighed very heavily on me because I have always done whatever it took to maintain as much quality of life as I could and to say no to an idea seemed like I was giving up. Psychologically, it has been rough. But, Spring is here and that always helps.

How excited are we to have another FGOTM!!! Patty has inspired me many times to just do a bit more. And to urge her to just do a bit less!!

congratulations to both Patty for being May's Gal and Holly for having been such a great example.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  07:31:46 AM  Show Profile
Janie- I am so glad April is done! Glad you have your sis to share some of your pain. It helps, doesn't it. And how is Sally doing? I am sure it was particularly terrifying for you to have her get sick in April. So glad you vet is working with you on the bill. In this economy, they are probably glad to get it slowly rather than not at all!

Missed hearing from you. Glad you are back
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  12:18:01 PM  Show Profile
I am back but don't tell my boss! hehehehe
Sally is doing great! she is being playful and she eats her "diet" food w/o complaining. However, my baby boy is now acting strange , he is staying in his kennel most of the day. I thought he just wanted more attention but that isn't it - when i was loving on him last night, i found a bite mark on him so one of the cats really got him good while sally was gone. if i knew which one, they would be sorry...he is too sweet a little fellow to pick on like that.
oooh he's back so back to work am i....hahaha
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Just stopping by quickly to let you know that everything is alright. I am busy - busy - busy!!!! Will try to get back on next week.

thanks for all the suggestions on posting pics. It's not me its the computer will need to take it back to the computer nerds next week.

Kathy - I love my package!!!!!!!!!!!!!! beach fabric from a gal named Beachy!!!! Neat

Taa taa chickie poos
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  3:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Marianne I have never put a raw egg in the hole when I plant tomatos. I do put egg shell in the hole. That helps to stop blossom end rot. Maybe a whole egg does the same thing?

Holly Tractors are a wonderful thing. I have moved a lot of manure and dirt by wheelbarrow and it is no fun. You can not even get a lawn tractor into the backyard, so any dirt moving is done by hand. :(

Patty Congrats on May farmgirl of the month. WooHoo!!

Marylyn sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family

Penny congrats on the job. I am prayin it will be good. You don't need luck. Your awesome!

Marrianne If you have a pressure canner you can put up your own canned beans. The taste is a little different, but we like them.

It is sunny and warm here today. Not too warm. The breeze is cool but not too bad.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  4:06:04 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Here are two pictures of the strawberry tower. One empty to see the construction and one full of soil and plants although you can not see the plants.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  4:28:05 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I do not know what to do to reduce the size of the pictures. I have tried many settings in photobucket and it says the size is smaller but then I post it here and it is not.

Today was overcast all day. We woke to rain and it did a good share of the day.

the wild cherry trees are blossoming. We can not grow forsythia up here it is too cold. some people in Montpelier which is 12 miles away have beautiful forsythia and one person has a gorgeous magnolia tree. The lilacs which are growing wild in old cellar holes have not started to blossom. I was amazed that Marylyn's husband could lay a path of roses to her door because ours do not have leaves on them yet. Our day lily leaves are about 6 inches tall. What is very pretty are the red buds against the new green of the trees.

I guess I did not accomplish much today except laundry. The always present laundry. Well, I do manage to finish each days pile everyday.

I remember now, what I wanted to tell you all. We have five cats. Stuart is a big gray cat. He is on the heavy side. Last night after the lights were out I heard him come into the bedroom making his my mouth is full mama come look. I turned on the light and sure enough there was a mouse about two inches long, black with big ears making a high pitched squeeky noise. I congratulated him on his speed and finesse. Turned off the light and then I hear crunch crunch crunch. At least he did not leave any pieces or eat it on the bed. The cats have been active with the mice and moles for about four days now.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  4:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Wow that looks great Holly, good job....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  4:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Patty Holly you made a perfect pick for FGOTM. Enjoy your month, Patty.

Holly thank you for posting the pictures. Even if they are big (mine usually are, too) it is good see what you did. I am going to have my DH look at them. It will give him some ideas about our garden.

The raw egg idea for the tomato plants is good. I had not heard of it but will definitely use it.

I am now filling the little hearts for my DD with beans. I am using a pretty wide funnel but some of the beans still manage to get stuck. I tried to make a funnel with paper but after the beans went all over the place I gave up on that idea.

Penny hope things went well for you today at work. I, too, thought you had already been working.

There are lots of Magnolia trees around my area and with all the blooms on them they really look pretty. In one area of about 15 trees it almost looks like from a distance that they are decorated for Christmas. So pretty.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  6:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, Holly, I guess I should explain....we have two 8 foot rose bushes they are probably about 10 foot in diameter. I would estimate 30 roses per bush...I have a picture;however, I can't even get to my file with this machine! Anyway, when he dead-headed the roses he strewn my path with petals! We had had an unusually mild winter and then, in March, the temps got into the 80's for several days...it was kinda weird. As a result, roses in March!!!! My Bradford pear trees bloomed the last week in March, daffodils bloomed in February. Everything is just way ahead of schedule.

Karen, your package is on its way!!!!

Dianne, thank you for the condolences, I appreciate all of the concern that I have recieved here.

Have a wonderful evening,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page