Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What are you working on today??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What are you working on today?? Next Topic
Page: of 264

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  10:31:48 AM  Show Profile
Connie that is outstanding fine work,your niece is going to be thrilled and her baby will be so beautifully adorned!
Char I would love to see your handmade brooms,I bet they're beautiful,I have a handmade broom I purchased at a metaphysical shop in Missouri some years ago and I love it.
I hope you ladies who sell at the Farmer's Market had a great weekend of sales!
I haven't done anything crafty today,just been catching up on some livestock chores and laundry,pinning it out on the line,ironing,etc..but yesterday I made a corn cob panhandle cover from a vintage pattern,it didn't turn out great but I know what I did wrong and so maybe the next ones will be better,I'll post a picture of it later if I'm not too embarassed.
I finished up a rose doily I started this past week and I got the chicken wallhanging quilted,now just need to bind it,I'll pull the camera out and post some pictures soon as I get that done.
Well ladies,I hope you all are enjoying your days and finding time to work on your projects!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  8:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Janet, it took three months, I felt like I'd never get it finished in time. Thanks, Kathryn, she will look stunning. She has dark, black hair. Absolutely adorable already and she was born this past week.

Life's too short to sit in a box all day. Get out and do something creative.

Connie H.
Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

cozie lady
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Mt Pleasant MI
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  09:55:08 AM  Show Profile
I am going to crochet long sleeves to add to a sleevless jean shirt that I have. I hope it works out since sleeves will be a new project for me.

amy r
sister #4186
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  7:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Amy I'm sure your sleeves will turn out nice,post a picture when you get them done :)
Here's a picture of the rose doily I just finished,it's called "Rose Garden Doily" and it's designed by Valmay Flint.
I also included a picture of the ear of corn panhandle covers,the one in variegated thread is my first attempt and it didn't turn out well but the golden yellow one I made today and had better results.

Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  10:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Amy: Crochet sleeves on a Jean shirt??? Hmmm what a concept, would love to see how it turns out.
Kathryn, love the doily, very pretty. Are you using the cotton thread on that? what size, and what size hook?? Are you putting any thermal lining in the corn holders? What's to keep the heat off of you?

Connie H.
Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  12:29:58 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn...I love the Rose Doiley too and your corn cobs also. You are very good at crocheting.

Connie...how beautiful that Christening Dress turned out. I hope their baby is tiny...because that looks
so small. It is probably just the picture that makes it look that way...but it is Gorgeous!

hugs,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  06:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, love the doily, and also the pot handle covers. They turned out so nice. Love all of your work that I've seen.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  6:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! I've been spending way too much time sitting on my butt crocheting but I'm eight months pregnant and big and uncomfortable so I guess there isn't a whole lot else I might be doing anyways :)
Connie the potholders are crocheted using size 10 thread,I'm using a size 5 hook,I don't line them and the pattern doesn't call for it but they are composed almost entirely of fat popcorn stitches which are five double crochets joined together at the top so they insulate your hand from the heat very well,I cook entirely in cast iron and can pull a skillet out of the oven with one of these on the handle.
The pattern is from a book called "Old Time Crochet Made Easy" but it's also available on Ravelry as a download if you're interested in making some,there's other patterns out there but most are knit and this is the only crochet one I've ever found.

Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  09:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathryn for the pattern info, I will check Ravelry. Wow, size 5 hooks, hope your eyes get rest every so often.
Peggy, the dress was made for a 3 month old because that's the gauge I was getting with the hook and yarn I chose to use. But when the mom opened the package, she couldn't wait to put it on her... so here is a pic of the baby in it. I am going to ask her to send pick of her when it actually fits like it should.

Connie H.
Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  11:15:07 AM  Show Profile
Connie...thanks for sharing the picture. And that looks stunning on the baby. It just looked
so small in your picture that I couldn't imagine it fitting a real baby. Of coarse my grandbabies
were BIG BABIES...so, I shouldn't compare their sizes. LOL I am just use to buying big for them.

I still can't get over the beautiful job you did on that gown!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  5:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Connie, where is the patter for that?! I think it is simply adorable!

Well ladies for some reason I got it into my head that I needed a new Civil War Skirt. Don't ask me why, I am not doing that many tours. But I wanted it bigger because all of my skirts are made for about a 36" waist, so this one is around 40 I think. It is a green, black, and silver woven poly taffeta, it is so light and easy to walk in. I hope to get a black medici belt done soon for it. Plus it cries out for a bonnet with white flowers and matching bias ribbon from the fabric. Excuse my pink shirt :)

Then I was watching the Beverly Hillbillies from 1993 and I saw a wonderful movie quote and so I stitched it and mounted it to a hoop.

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily

Edited by - alterationsbyemily on Sep 16 2012 5:54:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  10:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Emily, the skirt turned out fantastic. I can't wait to see the entire outfit.
I bought the pattern from Annie's Attic. The name of it is: Annie Potter's, Forever Baby Dresses, Irish Lace Christening Gown. It is definitely a pattern for an experienced crocheter. But if you love a challenge, go for it.

Connie H.
Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  1:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
WOW!!!
WOW!!!!
WOW!!!!
To EVERYONE and all the wonderful creations!

Me?? making more aprons . . . Farmers Market still in season and I have several orders, two aprons going to British Columbia, one to Pennsylvania and one going to California.
Sew, sew, sew!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  1:45:46 PM  Show Profile
Just finished these for the trick or treat swap, oh it is so good to be sewing again!

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  1:48:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies, so I was looking through my patterns for the top for the skirt and it dawned on me that I have a black jacket, I don't wear because all the lace fell off in the dryer. I pulled it out, cut a bunch of bias strips and then sewed them on. Yippie for another dress, waste not want not.

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1601 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1601 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  4:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Emily, Just love it. I love anything from the Civil War Era.

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  4:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Emily, I was going to post that I loved the skirt (love taffeta) and there you with the top already made. The whole outfit it beautiful! I really like the neckline on the jacket too.

And, Jed is my kind of guy...that old humble sweetie!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  2:59:18 PM  Show Profile
Connie your little niece is adorable and so elegantly adorned in the gown you made,I know that was alot of work!
I love Annie Potter's patterns,I have a few of her Irish crochet pattern books.
Emily your civil war outfit is amazing,I used to sew alot of period costumes for the SASS Western shoots but mostly prairie woman outfits,men's vests,shirts,etc..those civil war skirts are something else,that's alot of fabric to wrestle around while sewing and wearing,it is beautiful and you look wonderful in it!
Well,I have been mostly just putting out my Fall decor today but last night I finally finished the redwork chicken wallhanging,it's been two years in the making,first I penciled the chickens on the muslin then embroidered them and let them sit for two years,then i finally quilted around the chickens and finally got the binding sewn on and embellished with yo-yos because my corners aren't too neat.
I'm happy to have it done,my Husband swears that no human being on earth can waste time like I do,embroidering foot wide feather intensive chickens just to hang on the wall,I guess he just doesn't understand and fully appreciate the artistic inspiration of the noble chicken.
Sorry my pictures aren't too great,I pinned it up kind of roughly fresh from finishing just to snap some pictures of it but plant to iron it and hang it properly when I decide where to put the silly thing!

Nostalgic Needleworks http://www.etsy.com/shop/NostalgicNeedleworks
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  3:02:13 PM  Show Profile

Here's some better pictures of the chickens themselves that I took before it was quilted,I'm hopeless with my Daughter's camera,these were taken with my junky old camera that seems to like me better.

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  4:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Very nice embroidery work,Kathryn. I love how you did the hanging. Looks good.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  9:17:14 PM  Show Profile
Lovely, ladies, just lovely. Emily, that top is just Perfect for that skirt. Good job! Kathryn, love the little red hens. Julie, Keep up the creativity.

Connie H.
Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  5:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies,I'm so glad to have the redwork chickens done,I love to do redwork and think chickens make especially nice subjects though I am started on a redwork horse quilt as well.
Julie I missed your Halloween banners initially but just saw them,very cute,I love this time of year and love Halloween stuff,your banners are very cute!

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  12:15:14 AM  Show Profile

Emily...your skirt and jacket go stunningly together. Nice Job on that!

Kathryn...love your Red Work Chickens. I love to do Red Work...my favorite.

Julie...love your Halloween Banner. And are those Halloween Bags that look like cupcakes? Can't really tell. Cute though.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  05:04:23 AM  Show Profile
Just finished a tote bag made from old magazines. Fold the page in thirds then thirds again. Make a stack of them and tape each end to keep them from unfolding. Weave into a square mat shape and lay flat on clear packing tape. Seal it to make it durable. Make 2 mats. Hot glue together on 3 sides then reinforce with tape. Glue ribbon handle. Fixed one to show final results and tore up old mags for next months 4h meeting to do these.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  09:29:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Peggy, no the cupcakes are actually potholders, you put your hand in the cake part so you don't burn your fingers. They are alot of fun to make.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 264 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What are you working on today?? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page