Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  4:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Peggy! Sometimes I wonder what I've gotten myself into, but we've been averaging about 13 2 & 3 year olds, with maybe 3 or 4 people, so it's good. We can kind of keep up to them :). Today, 3 of the older kids (the pre-kinders) decided that they missed me so much (over the summer, since I was with the school-agers) that they needed to "monkey pile" on me. Now I hurt lol. But I wouldn't trade it. I like being able to do that sort of thing with the kids. They kind of need it. And I don't get to spend much time with the "big kids" so if they're having fun, it's all good :). As long as I keep going, I'm good. It's when I stop & try to get started again that I have problems lol.

Darlene - I hope you do well with chemo! You're a brave woman!

It got really windy & rather chilly out last night, around 3 :s. I could hear the wind blowing the curtains & windchime in the living room, and it was flapping the blind, but do you think that it would register in my mind to get up & close windows?? And it didn't dawn on me either that I had clothes on the clothes horses on the patio...thankfully the only things that blew off were a rag & face cloth. They didn't dry very much last night - it must have been a little wet or something. They've been inside all day, with the fan on them, so maybe they'll be dry...

I think I'm going to make up some menus so I have something to eat for meals. At least have an idea or a stockpile of food that I can choose from. I get sick of eating the same thing for 3 days, but then on the other hand, by the time I get home from work & think of something, it's usually late & then I don't feel like making anything. I think I want to try cooking more on the weekends & putting it in the freezer.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  5:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Hello from soggy central Pennsylvania! It's been a long time since I've been here. I sure have missed this place. I tried catching up on the thread, but it would take too long to read it all, so I'm going to jump in and say hello.

It's so heartwarming to see all the swaps and wonderful activities going on. That coupled with the sharing and caring that happens here make this such a special place. I hope to be more active in the coming months, but for now, I'll be content to sit on the porch and observe.

My husband and I just purchased a property in the country that needs a lot of work and has a lot of potential. We have settlement on the 23rd of this month and can't wait. After living in the suburbs for nearly 40 years, we are happy to get back to our country roots. We will have about an acre and a half to use for our 'farm', the rest will be dedicated to our business. I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

Blessings,
Sue
Farmgirl #656
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  6:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Darlene- Welcome back! If there's anything you need then let us know. Don't feel like you're imposing, just throw it out here and someone should be able to help you. I'm a stubborn hard head but I'm learning I must ask and accept help from others when I need it. I sure hope the chemo goes easy on you.

Peggy- I did it! Well, it's not red, but it is burgundy. I was wanting a nice fall color. "They" say that red lipstick and pencil skirts are coming back in style this season. I'm thinking of getting a haircut, too. I go through these phases of thinking I'm going to be more stylish. Oh well, it's fun and not permanent.

Sue- Welcome back. I can't wait to follow your progress in settling in to your new farm. Are you going to name it?

Today I had one of the best days I can remember. DH and I had the whole day together while DD was at school. We went to town and ran errands (yarn, picking up the new MJF magazine), and ate lunch together. It was so nice not being interrupted every 5 seconds. We talked and talked and talked. It was just wonderful. We kissed and held hands, too. I do love that boy.

Where's Megan?

Have a great evening!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  6:43:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm leaving some warm apple crisp fresh from the oven (& cream of earl grey tea for those that want it!) on the porch for y'all. Hope you enjoy it!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  6:55:26 PM  Show Profile
I've had the name before I had the farm. Fortunately, it's appropriate. Sunshine Mountain Farm, reminiscent of the song Climb, climb up sunshine mountain. It's been a long journey with a lot of heartache and disappointment along the way, but so worth the wait. We looked at literally hundreds of properties over the past few years and almost gave up. We found the perfect place, in the mountains of PA overlooking the Susquehanna River. It's thirty five miles north of where we currently live, but only 1 mile from where my daughter and her family reside. It had everything we were looking for, a large commercial building for our business, land to have a small farm and a price we could afford. I have to be honest with you, I have not even seen the inside of the house yet! This is a huge leap of faith for us. God led us to this property, it wasn't even on the market yet. I found it by chance, called the bank about it and they sold it to me over the phone. It was meant to be. We are truly blessed. I'm going to need some guidance and hope to find it here with all of you.

Thank you so much for welcoming me back. It feels so good to be here again.

~Sue
Farmgirl #656

Edited by - GrammyGoose on Sep 12 2011 6:57:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  11:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Sue...Oh My, it will be so fun sharing your New Farm adventure with you. I cannot believe you bought it over the phone site unseen. You are one adventurous Lady...I like your style. You will be so
much fun to have on the Porch. We have a lot of gutsy women on here and we just love sharing Life together!
Are you packing already????

Julie...Way to go on the Hair! Burgandy is Red too! Does DH like it? Sounds like you had one of those fun romantic days with hubby. Way to go girl! I don't get enough of those anymore with hubby back at work full time.
And you are so right I have been missen Megan too. I hope she is OK. I will have to email her.

Porch has been a little quiet today. It's a Monday, that's for sure!

Off to read before I say good night.
blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  05:25:42 AM  Show Profile
Ugh, I've just awakened and already I'm tired. And I slept in till 5am this morning. Lately I've been waking up (not on purpose) at 3am when my husband does to go to work. I am NOT a morning person and I need more sleep than the average joe so I'm hoping this is going to quit soon!!

Busy day yesterday, I'll probably pay for it today. I made 8 quarts of pickles then picked some green beans and froze them. Did all this while doing laundry and having a splitting headache. And of course I did school too and made meals and then after supper we all went out and picked up some bins for hubby to use today. Got home at dark thirty and did my nighttime chores. You know it doesn't sound like much but it felt like quite a bit while doing it!!! LOL

Darlene - Glad to see you on here. I'll be praying that you do well with your treatment. My hubby's mom, both grandmas and an aunt have all had breast cancer and they are all doing well. Sounds like you are too. :)

Julie - Welcome to the redhead club! So glad you had a wonderful day with the boy you love. Isn't it glorious to be able to talk together without the interuptions????

Sue - You are one brave woman! You haven't even seen the inside of the house!!! Hoping you'll post pictures and take us on your journey. Congrats.

Well, might as well start this day, even if what I really want to do is curl up on the couch and have a little rest.... Hugs to all

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sue !

What town are you in? I'm in Northeast PA. Welcome to the porch - I'm sure you'll enjoy it here!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  07:11:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm currently in Mechanicsburg, PA, six miles west of Harrisburg. We are moving to Liverpool, in Perry County, PA. I can't wait to share my adventures with you all. Believe me, I'm nervous as can be, but figure whatever comes our way, we'll handle it. I'm a firm believer in the saying, 'if God brought you to it, He'll get you through it'. I'm learning how to move mountains through my faith.

I have not started packing yet. We are waiting until after we settle. We've been through too many false starts already and have learned that patience is not only a virtue, but a survival skill. We have not sold our current home, so there is no big hurry to get out of it. This will give us time to do the cosmetic work to the new place that needs done without a great deal of worry. Our first priority is to get the commercial building up to hubby's standards so that he can operate the business out of there. I would like to be in and settled by Christmas. That gives us enough time to do things the right way without trying to kill ourselves in the process.

Thank you again for the warm welcome. Hope you all have a great day. Be blessed!

My name is Sue, but my friends call me Geege!
Farmgirl #656

Edited by - GrammyGoose on Sep 13 2011 07:24:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  07:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning Porchies, PeggyA. Hope you are feeling better today. I know that this weekend will be hard on you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Pam, I'm tired after reading your post...that many little ones would put me in the bed for days...lol...

Geege, sure hope it dries up in your neck of the world soon. I am so excited to hear about your new property. I know you have to be so excited...keep us posted and tell us all the details...we will be right there with you in spirit.

Julie, I am so glad you asked about Megan, I sent her an email and haven't heard from her yet. It sounds like you and DH had a wonderful day...good for you...it is a needed thing to help keep a marriage strong.

Pam, thank your for the crisp...yummy

Kimberly, bless your heart, I hope you can get some rest...maybe, just maybe, the kiddies will take a nap...roflmbo...right? Wow you were so busy yesterday...girl, take a deep breath have a cup of tea and take 15 min to rest....

I don't think I told everyone that the going away party for my son went well, I am going to include a pic, you know the redhead on the left is David, but the first one on the right is my oldest Billy. I am going back up Thursday before he leaves on Friday, When my brother died last year I gave his gas grill to David and he told me Sunday that he doesn't have room to take it with him, so I'm going to get it and bring it here. So this way I can say "see you soon" to him...sure going to miss that boy...

On the right is Billy, my oldest, Ian, William and Mindy and on the left is my DIL Mandie, one of my grandsons Kyle, David, DH Jim and Me. Ian was David's roommate, and William and Mindy are David's bestfriends, they all grew up together and have been friends for about 12 years....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  09:31:33 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Lovely Porchies,

Geege...we are all excited for you...can't you tell? Everybody loves an Adventure...you are just gutsy enough to actually do it. And our hats and hearts go out to you. You would have been one of the Women who would have come out West in a Covered Wagon and been all the stronger for it. Me, I would have complained about the dust all the way. :+) ~ I had a friend who use to live in Harrisburg. How far is the Sunshine Mountain Farm from where you currently live? I am from the North West so I am not all that familiar with your area.

Pretty Penny...you just love showing off those good looken son's of yours don't you! ~ I will show mine off when I get back from the Funeral. Unless everyone is all teary-eyed like you were. Not everyone can cry and look good all at the same time. Ha Ha! ~ Oh, and by the way I emailed Megan too...so hopefully one of us will hear from her soon.

OK girls...now you can ALL go on an Adventure with me. It is about as extreme as Geege's only much different. Has anyone of you heard about the "Wheat Belly Diet?" Well, I am now on it...starting this morning. It takes you off all grains (especially Wheat) as well as potatoes. And I am a Carb. Addict so this is going to be real interesting. I have read that I will go through wheat withdrawels just like an
alcoholic going off the booze. So, I am telling you this to warn you...incase I get cranky and irritable you will all understand. This morning I got up and had Scrambled eggs with tomatoe, 2 pieces of crisp bacon, 1/4 bowl of applesauce, 16 oz. of plain water and a cup of coffee with cream. ~ I went on this program because I need to do something drastic. I put back on most of the 50 lbs I took off a year ago.
And because I love carbs it goes right to belly fat and I am very short. (5ft 2) So for my health sake...I am going to do this. I also have a lot of intestinal problems...and have become Diabetic in the last year and a half. So, please cheer me on...and if I whine and complain...kick me in the backside. This will also help my inflamation levels and arthritis and Fibro Pain levels. So, it is Drastic...but drastic health issues take drastic measures and it will need to be a life style change...no, adding those things back into my diet at a later date. My problem for the long hall is...I get sick of Rabbit Food very quickly. So, I am going to have to have lots of Varieties of Veggies Not just Salad after tiring Salad. Pray for me...I am going to Need It!

Well, I am off to get a Swap Pkg. ready for the Mail. Chat with you all later.

Hugs and Smiles,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  10:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Yea Peggy I do, but since I knew not everyone on the porch is on the over 50's board I just had to share it here to..hehe...I am behind you the whole way and wish you lots of luck with your diet. ..You know me well enough now that I will be ONE of the people that will kick you in the backside if you need it... :) Last year DH and I went on "The 17 Day Diet" and both lost about 15 lbs. I am also short 5'3" so I understand what extra weight looks like on us vertically challenged people...lol... I love carbs too...love, love, love bread, that is one of the reasons I love baking it fresh...oh, I'm sorry, guess I should talk about that now....sarrreee.. I still need to loose another 15 lbs or so myself...think I need to get back on the 17 day diet....I will always keep you in my prayers girl, this you know...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  11:00:18 AM  Show Profile
Since we're talking nutrition I'll mention this new book I got. It's called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I heard about it and thought it sounded good, but sometimes these things are kind of kookie so I called up my ND's office and asked about it. They said they recommend it. So I got it and now I'm trying to do some of the stuff in there. Wheat can be such a bad thing for so many people. In this book they say that we should sprout our wheat before we grind it and bake with it. It makes it easier to digest and also you get DOUBLE the nutrients out of it! So I've got wheat and kamut in sprouting jars right now. I'm going to try this. It's also the book that reminded me about the Kombucha. I'm excited to get that going too. I'm hoping this change in my diet will have the extra benefit of removing the 20lbs I don't need!!!!

PeggyAnn - I sympathize with getting tired of veggies. I tried a recipe last night that was a yummy way to get my veggies. It's cucumbers, bell peppers and carrots sliced up. You boil rice vinegar and sugar (you might need to use stevia or something if you deal with diabetes) and then pour it over the veggies and put it in the fridge to marinate. Quite yummy and vinegar is really good for your digestive system. We also had green beans cooked with bacon and onion. One of the husband's favorites. You can find a lot of recipes on the internet. Hope you are able to wean yourself off of the carbs without to many cravings.

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  11:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Penny...Peggy... I'm right there with you gals! I have to lose about another 40lbs or so, Hubby has to shed about 60lbs, and middle DD was told yesterday at dr she has to lose 50lbs or more. We have been watchin some movies on netflix about health and food and diets. I really liked 'Forks Over Knives', 'Food Matters', and 'Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead'. We are goin meatless, but it is gonna be a process. We have a nearly full freezer of meat, so it is limitin portions of meat to 1-2oz of meat a day per person. Just until it's gone, then no meat. We decided to keep eggs and dairy as I'm not real good at total veganism. In the last 2 weeks we've each lost 2 lbs and haven't even started our workout schedule.

We were worried about restaraunts bein an issue, but we have found even fast food has vegetarian options. Burger King has a Gardenburger sandwich and there is always Subway and Jimmy Johns. Most sit down places have several options as well.

I definitely understand how difficult dietin is. I've been watchin what I eat and workin on my weight for 2 years now. I've lost 60 lbs, but hit a stickin point and haven't lost in months. That's why we started lookin for something new. I also have all of us signed up for cholesterol testin and heart evaluations. I want to put more focus on health with our dietin. It's gonna be hard, but I'm pretty stubborn, so I figure it will work out.

I wanted to point out that beans are a great, fat free, tasty alternative with most diets. There are many cookbooks that are bean only recipes and I haven't found a way my crew hasn't liked them yet!

Alright! Now I want beans and gardenburgers for dinner! I have chili beans that I blend with refried beans to thicken them and griller patties, which are similar to gardenburgers. That's my dinner! Kinda weird how inspiration just jumps out at you sometimes.

Sue... I haven't met you yet, so I'd like to say 'Hi!'. I agree with the others. You are one brave and adventurous lady!

Kimberly... You're busy life sounds like mine with the lists of things to do, have done, will do. My Hubby swears I'm gonna get so busy I'll forget to breathe and just drop over one day. I think we both deserve a little tea time for mommy!

Well, I'm off to start dinner and see what else I can do without totally gettin into trouble. LOL! Bye!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  5:12:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm back :O) Been MIA for weeks I know. It's been insane here and I got a bit down to be honest and just wasn't communicating with anybody. I haven't had time to read and catch up on everybody yet but I'll get there.

JOB - they extended our contract for six months with the company I was originally under. I left work on the 31st not knowing if I had a job the next day or not - they posted it later that evening that it had been awarded. I still have a job but now it's only 30 hrs/wk and almost no benefits. I've been dealing with no computer at work since due to it locking up when I tried to sign on it Sept 1 - they allowed our accounts to be disabled at midnight the 31st. Finally got my computer back yesterday afternoon so I'm trying to wade through all the back emails and such. Let's just call it the nightmare it has been and leave it at that.

HEALTH: Got into the doctor for a full physical before I lost my insurance and she was able to get me a same day mammogram and thyroid ultrasound. Unfortunately the results on my thyroid ultrasound came back after I lost the insurance. They need to do a thyroid (radioactive) uptake due to finding multiple nodules in my thyroid. I'll probably need it removed. How I'm going to afford it I don't know. The thyroid is causing sleep apnea and chronic fatigue symptoms so the doctor says to wait no longer then three months.

On the positive side - we bought our tickets for a trip to North Dakota to check it out. I'm soooo looking forward to it. Df sent out some email resumes last night to some shops that he found online and got a response back already from one wanting to talk to him the morning after we arrive. Personally it sounds like this guy wants first dibs on him after seeing his resume but maybe I'm reading more into it. Keeping our fingers crossed nonetheless. Definately is putting a positive glow to the trip. I'm having to take time off with no pay because they zero'd out our vacation and sick leaves the 31st but hoping it will be worth it and we'll find jobs so we can move.

GARDEN: Going awesome. Put up 17 pints of green beans, 7 pints of salsa, 3L of pickles, and 5 quarts of marinara sauce so far. Plan to do some more marinara this weekend. Bought a dehydrator Monday so I also plan on drying some of my herbs this weekend.

Okay, now back to some reading to catch up. I've got a chocolate mousse pie with a chocolate graham cracker crust for everybody and some berry tea that goes awesome with chocolate.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  5:13:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm back :O) Been MIA for weeks I know. It's been insane here and I got a bit down to be honest and just wasn't communicating with anybody. I haven't had time to read and catch up on everybody yet but I'll get there.

JOB - they extended our contract for six months with the company I was originally under. I left work on the 31st not knowing if I had a job the next day or not - they posted it later that evening that it had been awarded. I still have a job but now it's only 30 hrs/wk and almost no benefits. I've been dealing with no computer at work since due to it locking up when I tried to sign on it Sept 1 - they allowed our accounts to be disabled at midnight the 31st. Finally got my computer back yesterday afternoon so I'm trying to wade through all the back emails and such. Let's just call it the nightmare it has been and leave it at that.

HEALTH: Got into the doctor for a full physical before I lost my insurance and she was able to get me a same day mammogram and thyroid ultrasound. Unfortunately the results on my thyroid ultrasound came back after I lost the insurance. They need to do a thyroid (radioactive) uptake due to finding multiple nodules in my thyroid. I'll probably need it removed. How I'm going to afford it I don't know. The thyroid is causing sleep apnea and chronic fatigue symptoms so the doctor says to wait no longer then three months.

On the positive side - we bought our tickets for a trip to North Dakota to check it out. I'm soooo looking forward to it. Df sent out some email resumes last night to some shops that he found online and got a response back already from one wanting to talk to him the morning after we arrive. Personally it sounds like this guy wants first dibs on him after seeing his resume but maybe I'm reading more into it. Keeping our fingers crossed nonetheless. Definately is putting a positive glow to the trip. I'm having to take time off with no pay because they zero'd out our vacation and sick leaves the 31st but hoping it will be worth it and we'll find jobs so we can move.

GARDEN: Going awesome. Put up 17 pints of green beans, 7 pints of salsa, 3L of pickles, and 5 quarts of marinara sauce so far. Plan to do some more marinara this weekend. Bought a dehydrator Monday so I also plan on drying some of my herbs this weekend.

Okay, now back to some reading to catch up. I've got a chocolate mousse pie with a chocolate graham cracker crust for everybody and some berry tea that goes awesome with chocolate.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  7:45:32 PM  Show Profile
PeggyA- DH loves my new hair color! And he loves the big retro curls, so I did the thing where you wind the hair around the headband and sleep overnight. The next day I had luscious burgundy curls and a little red lipstick. Woowoo!

Kimberly- It was so nice talking to DH. We both noticed the conversations didn't take nearly as long either. Your day sounds about like mine. Feel like I'm running a marathon but when I put into words it doesn't always look like I did much. You look like you did more than plenty, though.

Penny- What a great turnout for dinner. I bet y'all weren't loud or nothin. Looks like a nice bunch of people.

PeggyA- Noted: She's going through wheat withdrawals and needs whiskey sent to her. Got it! I'm 5'2ish" too. I'll be a cheerleader for you. DH watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on Netflix the other day. I had seen it before. I can tell you that movie is HIGHLY motivating to change your eating habits. If you have access to it you would enjoy seeing it. We're starting a semi-juice fast here on Monday because of it. I've done a similar one before and it's not too difficult. There are those withdrawal feelings, though. One of my favorite things to put on veggies is balsamic vinegar. It changes it up a bit. There's always MaryJane's avocado ice cream, too.

Tammy- Glad you're back. Glad you still have your job even if it's not so many hours. Hopefully your DH will do well at finding a job in ND and then you'll have no worries. Fantastic job on your garden. Mine is hilarious, if it weren't so pitiful. I think the only thing I could grow now would be popcorn.

Today I went to the farmer's market. I was so tired. I think the steroids and flexiril combination is making me a little loopy. The sinus is all better and today was the last day of steroids. I met one lady at the market today who was so impressed with my products she asked if I had ever considered putting an ad in Mother Earth News. Now that's a compliment. I told her that it was just me doing the business and I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle it if I got multiple large orders. DH thought I should but I said I didn't want to have to work from sun up till sun down making products especially when I still have a "real" job to go to. I just can't stretch myself that thin. I'd like the business to grow slowly. Like a snails pace. Awful I know, I just get nervous when things move too fast. Oh! I did get my first "official" looking loaf soap mold. That'll definitely increase production. I finished one hat and one wash cloth today. I have the university market to go to on Thursday.

That's it for now. Time to watch a movie and work on a scarf.

Love you ladies!

Julie

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  8:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Hello Gals! Welcome Sue! You are one tough cookie! Good on ya! What business is your DH into, if I may ask?
DH and I spent the day doing nothing special and enjoying every minute of it. Couples just need that sometimes, ya know? He did his laundry(Army dudes are like that,Do their own thing.I love it), then we went to the library and took back movies and books and I had a magazine, Vegetarian Times, to return. Then we went to the Mexican restaurant in town for supper.
I've not heard of"Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". I'll have to look it up. Is it streaming, or will I have to order it?
Well, it's bedtime for me. It feels like it's getting humid. hmmmmmm..... Weird.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  9:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judy! Thank you for the welcome. Dh and I own a business that involves racing products. We manufacture carburetors and fuel system components for race cars of all types from NASCAR to street stocks, drag cars, street rods, boats, tractor pullers and all forms of high performance applications. We also have an engine dynamometer for testing engines and determining horsepower, torque and overall performance levels. We are very lucky to be involved in a business that we love. We are together 24/7 and have been in business since 1979.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
My name is Sue, but my friends call me Geege!
Farmgirl #656

Edited by - GrammyGoose on Sep 13 2011 9:57:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  11:56:36 PM  Show Profile
Well My Porchies...

My first day of my Wheat Belly Diet went very well. I ate just three meals and a small snack tonight.
I was satisfied after every meal and had no cravings. Very nice! But The Cookies out in my Cookie Jar keep whispering my name...so, I decided to listen to the late news and write to my girls...who are going to kick my back side if I go in there and lift the Cookie Jar Lid. I know that I have to do this "All Out from day one"...I am not the type of person who can slowly work myself over to a new Life Style Change...gradually working wheat out of my life. It is all or nothing! Because I would talk myself into cheating here and there. I have a box of Cheese Crackers I need to give away, a brand new big box of Honey Nut Cheerios and those cookies. Everything else...I am ok, oh yeah, except two loaves of bread in the freezer. So, it isn't like I have to clean out bunches of food I can't eat. Which is good. I am just looking to get through one day at a time. My husband loved the dinner I made too and it was all healthy for us.

I heard from Miss Megan...she is just real busy with School and the Ministry she works on. She said she would try to hop on tomorrow and chat for a few minutes. I told her we all miss her! She just thinks she only has one Mother. LOL

Geege...that is neat that you and your husband love working together. My husband and I did too...when we had a Family Counseling Center for a year. Our youngest son worked with us too. It was very neat. Then I had to quit work and go on SSD for Fibromyalgia. My husband had counceled for 35 yrs. Finally he retired.
Then a yr ago he went to work for our son at a Property Management Co. and they love working together.

Well, my sister just called need to go and talk to her...she is so sick and it is hard to carry on a conversation with her.

hugs and smiles,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  06:10:51 AM  Show Profile
Geege - What a cool business. My husband's cousin is a race car driver, on the side for fun. Full time he's a farmer on his family's farm. He's not NASCAR obviously, and I have to admit ignorance because I have no clue what it's called that he does.

Judy - So awesome that you had a quiet day with your husband! Couples do need that for sure.

Julie - Good for you! Maybe this will be the trigger that sets off your business and then you won't have to have a day job! I'm with you, I like my comfort zone and change although good, if it's to drastic or fast can unnerve me. Sometimes it's exciting too and leads to great things so I hope this does work for you at the speed you want it to.

PeggyAnn - GOOD FOR YOU!!! You are doing great. No cravings, what a blessing. You have amazing will power.

Tammy - Your job situation sounds nightmarish, I'm sorry you have to deal with all this anxiety. Hopefully the trip will lead to the change you're looking for. Health issues are never a fun thing are they? And stress never helps anything. Praying you get it all worked out.

Angela - My hubby has said something similar before too. Infact just the other day he informed me that he loved the fact that I did all this canning and worked so hard to give our family a healthy diet etc but that if he had to choose he'd choose the non crippled up wife! Stupid back injury, slows me down. I know I give myself more work by having the garden (filled with weeds but still producing lots of produce), the livestock, homeschooling etc but all of it is important to me so I keep working at it. I think we mothers are a little crazy with all we try to accomplish. :)

Penny - Loved seeing a picture of your family. Seeing pictures helps me to tie everyone together and feel like I'm actually getting to know someone instead of a name on a screen! Great looking family and you look so happy.

Woke up at 3am again but this time I was able to roll over and sleep again!! Still woke up at 5 though. It's really strange because I have never been someone who wakes up early on my own, always had to have an alarm clock.

So I accomplished not much yesterday. Did one batch of pickles and school and other than that not a whole lot. Today I need to get the house clean gonna have company tomorrow. My Heritage Home Arts gals are coming out to glean. A couple of the ladies are excited to help me feed my livestock! Had a great conversation with one of them yesterday on the phone. Isn't it amazing how so many of us ladies suffer the same things but we never share it and so think we're suffering alone? I've had hormonal imbalances at different times in my life and she shared some stories about herself and her family and the more I talk to other ladies the more I discover it's pretty common. This hormone business runs in my female line and I am determined to stop it before it affects my daughter. I will find a way to protect her from it, Lord willing.

Have a great day ladies.

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  10:02:39 AM  Show Profile
Peggy A. I know about the weight stuff. I put on a lot after the cancer surgery and decided I wanted it gone. I have stopped eating much at night. For me that is key. Good breakfast and reasonable lunch and just a snack in the evening. It is slowly working and I just have to keep at it. I will be cheering you on. You Go Girl!!!

Sue, nice meeting you. I was my DH’s chief helper when he was a mechanic. I could make book on oil changes and scrape heads so clean you could eat off them ;) We worked together well.

Kim I think that there was a rash of 3:am wakings going on for a while. Had me down for about two weeks. Slowly getting back to normal and am I glad. Its bad enough to have to get up at 4am without waking at 3.

Darlene blessings and praying for you.

Penny, great looking family. Glad that went well.

Angela, I would make more beans but with only me, I have gotten a bit lazy. I have all kinds of things in the freezer and its about time is used some of them. I think I have a nice bean stew in there will look later and take it out for weekend eats.

Hey Tammy, I love chocolate mousse. Glad to hear from you.

Megan is one ball of energy. I certainly could use a jolt of what she’s got. lol

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I just need to brag about my husband. He's new to potatoe farming. Been farming his whole life a variety of crops and has an incredible education in farming but new to potatoes. I had total confidence in his abilities and I think now all those working with him do too. The field they are harvesting right now was bringing in 34 ton (REALLY good) and that was before they hit the GOOD part of the field!! The diggers are having to slow down because so many potatoes are coming up. They're basically getting twice as many as normal. On top of that some of the potatoes are enormous. As in some people have commented that they are the biggest Rangers they have ever seen. Well that's all great and all but if the quality isn't there it's not much good is it??? Well it is!! The company has requested his potatoes for their top of the line product. Yup, my man can flat out farm. Just bursting with pride right now. So happy for him. Here's a picture of a few of the big ones. I put the crayon on there so you can get an idea of how big they are. He's joking that we should bake one and carve it like a ham! My five year old saw those potatoes and went into my cupboard and got out the deep fryer and said we needed to make french fries! I taught my daughter a new phrase when I saw them. I said, "Holy Toledo" And she repeated it over and over.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  5:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Wow Kim those are so big...congrats to your husband and you.

Ladies, I will try to check in later, not feeling my best today, sneezing and runny nose...going back and lay down. And I am suppose to go to Columbia to pickup the grill from my Son and see him before he leaves for MI on Friday, got to feel better...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  5:18:04 PM  Show Profile
HOLY BAKED POTATOES, BATMAN!!!!

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Sep 14 2011 5:19:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page