Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  08:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Good, Kimberly, I'm glad and you are right..sometimes writing and not seeing makes it hard to tell...just wanted to make sure...love ya girl and keep the stories of those sweet babies coming...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  08:52:08 AM  Show Profile
I love reading all the action with you ladies. You are all so busy. Makes me glad life is pretty quiet around here.

Staci and Luanne, As a native Californian it is beyond me to understand what all the rain in the summer must be like. It is always dry here. I sure hope you guys dry out soon. Hopefully fall will calm everything down and you can enjoy some nice fall weather before winter hits you.

Julie, sorry you all have to deal with government red tape. It seems like everything turns to numbers and rules instead of people and homes.
Good thing is they are probably calling firefighters from all over the country to help. I hope they get a handle on it soon for all your sakes.

Kimberly, how cool to have your daughter reading! I think home schooled kids learn faster and so much more. No distractions and 100 percent parent participation. Good for all of you!

Well, its time to take mom to the hospital for her surgery. So later for now!

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  11:05:58 AM  Show Profile
Traci, glad that your DH had everything under control. What a brave guy!

Kimberly, it sure does blow the mind when kids do or say such intelligent things. My DD has informed me whenever we see something that has a hexagon shape. The other day she said, "oh, that's a rhombus." Hello! When I was in school we called it a diamond shape. And make no mistake, mine IS a hooligan sometimes too. She's gone through phases where we just can't take her out to eat or shopping. She's getting better as she gets older. There are times when people compliment her behaviour.

Penny, what is an Irish knot? I couldn't understand what you were writing about your family but what I did gather was you did your best to notify everyone and you aren't in the wrong if someone else says they will notify the others. It may have been shocking to find out in an email but it was nothing you could have helped. I wouldn't dwell on it.

Peggy, you gals better behave yourselves and not prank call the fire department or ambulance just to get a look at those men! heehee Sometimes I really don't understand how God works. I've wished many a time my ex would go be with Jesus but he still hasn't taken him. Probably doesn't want him either. And then the ones that are reay to go have to wait around till it's their turn. I guess there's just no cutting in line.

Cherime, How funny. My kitty likes to sit and bat at water also. She's a strange one.

Bunny, I hope your mom's surgery goes well.

Well Ladies, I know this fire talk is getting pretty long and old. It's our attention getter for now. Right now it looks like the biggest fire is 30% contained. The others are all contained or very close to it. They say there is favorable (not windy) weather for the firemen today. I'm crossing my fingers this will be over with by the end of the weekend. I wish the east coast girls could let their extra water just sort of run down hill to here. Still no rain in the forecast. Yesterday, DD and I went shopping at the dollar store and bought a whole basket full of toys, coloring books and crayons, and games. We took it all to a donation drop off location. I know the people are receiving plenty of the necessities, but I couldn't imagine being a child and losing all your toys. It was something that God put in my heart to do when I looked at DD. The people who have lost their homes are concerned with the basics and have a long expensive road ahead. The last thing they have money to spend on is for toys. So I'm hoping this will bring a smile to some faces during this dark time.

In other news, I have an appointment for the doctor tomorrow because of a sinus infection or something. Thought it was just a cold or allergies. I got my craft supply swap all put together and ready to mail. My cat ATE the top off one of my hats, so I unraveled the rest of it and started making a different hat. I still haven't finished my small quilt project. I watched a show the other day and they talked about the thrill of starting a new project and once it's almost done the excitement isn't there anymore. I have thought a lot about that and have undone several projects that have been in the almost finished pile for months, or even years. I had one that was a skirt and I can honestly say I wouldn't wear it now.

Well, I'm off to clean the kitchen and maybe make some more soap...or just lay around and watch movies.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  11:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I wish I had kept a copy of the card on the irish knot that explained what it was but this explains it pretty well Symmetrical knots that tie into themselves; without beginning or end; are a universal symbol of the eternity of life, the eternity of nature, and the eternity of love.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  11:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Penny, that is exactly what Celtic knots are all about. Dover Press, I am sure you home schoolers know that name as they put out all kinds of books on lots of subjects, has one or maybe two books on them. I did a small weaving once that was a reproduction of one of the knots contained in a circle. They make great embroidery and punch needle projects as well.

Penny, you used what you had and no one can fault that. My kitties are rough and tumble boys and sometimes streak from the 3rd floor to the 1st scattering my small rugs hither and yon. Quite the wrecking crew.

I heard on the radio on the way to work that the fire crews in TX are finally making headway against that fire. We need to keep on praying for that one to be knocked down fully.
Back to work.

Bunny praying that your mom's surgery goes well.

Back to work. Blessings all.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  1:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly and Julie, I had to laugh reading about your kids being a handful at times. That's why God made them look so angelic when they sleep. I have a picture frame of my oldest with 3 pictures. One he is hanging upside down on monkey bars in missmatched clothes, one is a school picture with a goofy smile and one is him sleeping on the couch after a big day. He is all grown up now but I look at that picture frame and remember everything.

Penny, love the kitty on the deer head! I had a log house with log beams across the living room. One day one of my cats raced through the house, jumped up on a chair to the top of the china hutch and then up to the beam. He layed up there like a big lion in a tree. Such a tough little guy.

Anyway, later for now, waiting for the hospital to call to pick mom up.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  4:41:20 PM  Show Profile
It was a long day at work today. Mostly 2 & 3 year olds on the "big floor", which makes it hard. Their attention spans are like 1/2 a minute, if you're lucky. And because it's so hot this week, we aren't outside all afternoon, so they're doing things they know they shouldn't & then mad when they get caught. You'd think with being smart they'd figure it out :s. Silly kids.

I wish I could just sit & relax for awhile...but I think I better do those darn dishes & think of something decent for supper. I really want some fresh bread, but my cookbook is at the daycare (school-age room) & I haven't got it back yet. Not that I really have time to make full bread loaves after supper, unless I want to stay up all night (& I really don't want!). Maybe I'll make biscuits or something easy.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  5:09:34 PM  Show Profile
Penny- ok, I thought maybe you were talking about some kind of bread. I've crosstitched an Irish knot years ago. One of my favorite pieces.

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  9:46:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Porchies!

I haven't even been on the computer in 2 days I think. I've been workin like a mad woman. I was reachin into the back of the bakin cabinet for an extra box of bakin powder and I grabbed a handful of powder without the box! I have mice for the first time in years!

I started diggin through all my cabinets and found a whole trash can full of chewed up food! I was livid! I don't have enough containers to put everything we have in. I've been stockpilin and buyin everything I could think of for storage for the winter.

Then I remembered the basement! I have 35 cases of quart jars that couldn't be filled since the garden barely got us through the summer. I sent the girls down with the wagon and they started haulin them up. I now have nearly 15 cases of food in my living room and all the rubbermaid tubs the girls could locate are filled and stacked in the laundry room.

I have 'canned' the kitchen! LOL!

I've emptied all the cabinets and put out mouse poison. I also put out tons of ant poison things. The weather has turned so suddenly here that everything is swarmin inside to get away from it. I just don't know what else to do. I truly hate poisons and sprays and stuff, but I can't let them get our food stores. The news and everything I've researched says I'm gonna need everything I can get ahold of till I can get the garden goin agian next year. I hate these decisions! I'm not good with the results either way, poison or waitin them out with containers.

I'm gonna start on an inventory of how many jars of everything I have because a lot of this is gonna have to go to the basement. I can't belive just how much food I had stacked in those cabinets and tucked away in the laundry room.

I have to get started on the propper storage of dry goods items. I have to have things protected and out of the jars by next year. I really loved all my open shelves and nice neat stackes of things because I could clearly see what I had on hand for makin my shoppin lists. Now I'm gonna have to try to put together a usable system for trackin everything. That's so intimidatin to me. I wish I had a bunch of the old milk cans like grandma had for storin all her dry goods. They sat very prettily in the corner of her kitchen with a very ornate ladle hangin on the wall above them for scoopin out whatever we needed. It was such a beautiful and simple system. She even had these really pretty ceramic jars on a shelf right beside the milk cans full of spaghetti. I so loved the supplies corner of her kitchen.

That little trip down memory lane got me really motivated! I think I'll do some craigslist huntin and track down a bunch of those milk cans. I can have Hubby put sealant inside them and I'll paint the outsides to match my kitchen. I'll make me own supplies corner in my kitchen just like grandma had! My folks are goin to the NMLRA fall shoot this week. They have several iron workers there who could make me a very special scoop for hangin in my corner! I need to start checkin yard sales and stuff to find my canisters for the spaghetti. I think I'm gonna see about some spice racks and maybe some fancy jars for bakin soda and stuff like that. I do have a few antique jars that I was wantin to find somewhere to display, maybe they would work for the bakin supplies!

I'm gettin excited about this now! I love to come here and bounce ideas of you ladies. If any of you have any suggestions of a system to use till I get my milk cans, or ideas for my corner, I would love to hear them! I really am startin to like the idea of redoin the kitchen now, it wasn't all bad findin my little problem after all. It's gonna give me back a happy part of my childhood!

I'm off to inventory those jars!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:36:51 AM  Show Profile
Angela...are you talking about glass gallon Milk Jars? I buy glass jars of every shape and size because I love to be able to see what they contain. I use them for storing foods (Pasta, Rice, Cornmeal) to storing crafting items. I just bought this huge octagone jar that must hold gallons of anything you want in it...and I used it to put all my crafting ribbon in it. I took them all off their cardboard spools...so they are just loose in the jar. It is so pretty! I even keep spaghetti sauce jars, mayonaise jars, little jelly & jam jars. I use those small jars for baking powder, baking soda, I put my chocolate chips in them and other kitchen stuff. I even use the smaller jars for sorting my different colored buttons for craft projects. I just love jars!! I also bought two antique scoops like you were talking about (they are really heavy duty). We don't have mice or rodent problems here but we do have ant problems. They are the little sugar ants and they will even get into the dog food bags and everything. So, even the dry dogfood is kept in big plastic bins. Sounds like you are off to a good solution by walking down memory lane to what your Grandma use to do.

Penny...did you make the Irish Knot or purchase it? I think I have seen them like at Joanne Fabric. They are neat!

Pam...I can't imagine having to keep a room full of 2 and 3 year olds busy for a whole day. You have my highest respect and admiration. When I taught young children in Sunday School many years ago...my favorite age was 4 and 5 year olds. When they are a little more independent and can do things mostly by themselves.
I think I actually ended up teaching every age from pre-school to adult women. Once I worked up to adult women...I found my true niche and passion and never went back to teaching children again. LOL

Julie...I bet that Celtic Knot would be pretty done in cross-stitch. The one I saw at Joanne fabric was done out of satin cord. Very stunning.

Bunny...how did your mom's surgery come out? I hope they gave her enough pain pills to keep her asleep and comfortable for a few days. She is going to be a totally new woman if they keep fixen her up one body part at a time. Did you say her recovery time was suppose to be 6 weeks? Do you have your runnen shoes on girl?
I am praying for you! ~ You have had really hot weather yourself the last couple of days. Are you staying down in the basement where it is cooler? Is the fire smoke bothering you guys or is it blowing all our way?

I had a hard time sleeping last night because of my thoughts about my MIL. I have 42 years of great memories with her...and I couldn't shut my mind off last night once I started walking down memory lane.
I finally had to take an anxiety pill to shut my brain off. It was determined to walk all those 42 yrs.
At three in the morning...I just couldn't keep tossing and turning and thinking any longer. I was wearing myself out. No more news today from my son... like if there is going to be a Memorial Service or not. Her only child (my ex has been in Chicago for the last 35 years and I don't know if he will want to go through all that or not) we will just have to wait and see.

Well, wish me luck tonight for a more peaceful night's sleep.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 09 2011 10:21:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  07:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Morning ladies!
Well the rain is just spotty showers today and my DH made it to work for the first and last time for the week. Even though it will be a pinch, we are mindful that so many are still without jobs at all.
I'm sure most of you have seen the flooding on tv, locally it is mostly the east end of our county and the two next to us. At least 6 people in this area are reported dead. Several from trying to walk or drive through water, one in a collapsed basement and one poor person was standing along the road trying to warn other drivers about deep water on the road ahead and was hit by another car. Very sad.
Luanne, are you still getting a bunch of rain? Any word on your mom and how they're faring?
Peggy, I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your memories actually sooth you to sleep tonight rather than keeping you awake.
Bunny, I hope your mom has a quick recovery and that you are able to maintain peace for yourself through it.
Angela, you're amazing. I appreciate your ability to get so much done and your resourcefulness. Hope you find the kinds of cans and jars that you envision.
Theresa! I got your ornament yesterday - the little stocking is absolutely adorable!!! Thank you! My tree is so sweet looking with all the FG blessings on it.
Darlene, I'm thinking of you. Praying for you, too.
Pam/KittyKill, I hope you pop in and visit us soon. I miss you but know your life is stressful. I hope to hear you tell us about a new job for you soon.
Julie, how are things in TX today, more progress on the fires?
Penny/Kimberly - I love how you both got on that little possible, "I can't watch your face and can't hear your tone" thing. It is so true with text/email. We are such a loving, supportive group and must protect that quality by catching things like that any time it pops up or tries to. I love the stories you guys share.
Penny, I'm sorry that you have the long distance family issues. But you did all you could. Rest easy.
Pam, kudos to you for being willing to hang out with little kids ALL day. Other than my own and a very few of my dearest friends - I couldn't do that.
Cherime - praying you get all your projects done before winter sets in up there. We have a ways to go for that here, I enjoy winter but am very glad our seasons are fairly evenly split.

Well, I have some swap work to be doing and can make it out to my little shed/shop without getting too wet.
Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Sep 09 2011 07:10:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  07:14:48 AM  Show Profile
We got quite a bit of rain here, but the worst of the flooding is west of us near Wilkes-Barre. Only a few minor streams over the banks in this area. I talked to Mom in Vermont last night, and she is fine. So thankful she lives on top of the hill! Towns around her are still in serious condition, though, and it will take years for them to rebuild.

Have a great day everyone!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  07:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Cherime and Bunny , Isn't the kitties something...they are so much fun to watch. I just love my Macey.

Pam, I am sorry you had such a rough day, hope you have recouped by now. I love fresh bread too...

Angela, Oh my, how I understand those little pests. With an outdoor kitchen I have to keep everything in jars or in the freezer. Good luck getting it organized the way you want it...sounds like you will be so busy.

Peggy, I would love to see some of your jars with craft things in it...sounds so pretty. I am sorry that you had trouble resting last night. Hopefully tonight will be easier. I know it is tough. My ex FIL past away in Dec. and I so wanted to be there. I would visit him and my ex MIL when I could. My ex and I got along fine till he met this new woman in his life. Now he won't talk to me and told his sister who I am very close with that he didn't want me at the funeral. So I didn't go. Sad that it had to be that way. I hope you get some rest today.

Staci, glad to here your DH got to work today. Wow so sad to hear of the lives lost... I feel so close to all of you and don't won't anything like words to get in the way of that. I am glad everything is ok with me and Kimberly, I think sometimes I read to much into things. But it is always good to clear anything up, if you think things like that. I need to get to my swap stuff today too...

Luanne, I hope things dry up for ya'll soon. It is so bad in so many places in this country lately. I pray for everyone to be safe...

I guess I need to get busy doing something. Been hurting in my right side for the last 4 days...not sure what it is but bet it has to do with helping on the finishing the deck Sun. I used the nail gun and the hammer a lot. If it doesn't clear up by Monday may have to go to the DR which I hate doing. I really don't like spending money at the Dr. Sleeping was tough last night because I sleep on my side and it didn't matter which side I was on last night, it hurt. Oh well, part of getting old I guess.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  08:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
My son David just called, he normally doesn't work on Friday afternoon, but got a call from his boss that said he needed him to take a tractor trailer to Charlotte tonight and ride back with another driver. This means he won't get home until 8am tomorrow. After sleeping he wouldn't be able to be here till tomorrow evening. Then he has a get together in Columbia Sunday for a farewell party at 6...so doesn't make since for him to drive over 2 hours here and back...But he did say we could come there and stay with him Sat. night and Sun and go with him to the party. I can't believe he can't come but I do understand. He was really feeling bad about it but I told him not too. Hopefully we will be able to make it there. It depends if we can find someone to come by and take care of the animals Sun.. We will see...I will NOT cry, I will NOT cry...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  10:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh Penny, go a head and cry. I feel your pain. When my youngest moved out to live with his dad, I thought it was the worst pain I had ever felt. It got better with time. I just had to keep busy.

Angela, sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I have 4 cats so mice were not a big problem most of the time. It sounds like you have a plan though. Have fun looking for all those neat jars.

Pam, you must be a very patient person working with the little ones. I would be exhausted by the end of the day... and probably a bit cranky too.

Peggy, I love putting crafts into jars. I have a bunch of glass cookie/candy jars I use to put stuff in. I don't have any good place anymore. But I filled them with spools of thread, ribbon and little fabric bundles. I loved all the color.

Cherime, you sound like you could build a house when all this is done. Hope you get everything done before the cold sets in.

Well, mom's surgery when fine. She said the anesthesiologist did a better job this time. Last time she woke up with a terrible headache and couldn't stay awake much for a week. She is doing fine though.
I'm still getting emails from my eharmony guy. I think he is almost ready to meet me. Funny thing is I have sewing classes scheduled for the next 5 Saturdays. I'm getting a little worried all this time he is going to have pretty high expectations of me as far as looks. He said he was concerned that I didn't have a picture of me from head to toe. He said he could tell a lot about a person that way. He also said he valued my mind and it wasn't all about looks. But I wonder. I just wish he would agree to meet for coffee and just get it over with. Just think, if we like each other, how much time has been wasted by his "caution". I first contacted him last November. He is either much too cautious or getting desperate enough that I'm starting to look good to him. LOL

Anyway, off to do some errands for mom before it hits 100 degrees outside.

Oh, BTW, Theresa, What a cute Xmas Ornament! Did you knit those yourself? I LOVE it! Thank you so much. I'm almost done with mine. I do a little at a time and thankfully will have them done in time.

Until later Farmgirls!

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  10:59:33 AM  Show Profile
Penny...crying is good for you! Helps wash away the hurts, sorrows, sadness and the just plain yuckies! And it is soul soothing!

Luanne...glad your mom is able to stay high and dry. That has to be a comfort for you...not having to worry about her down in the flooded areas.

Theresa...loved your adorable stocking ornament. So beautiful! Did you have to knit those on tooth-picks?
Man those are tiny stitches. BUT...thank you so much for all your hard work on those.

Staci...I emailed Pam/kitty kill, a couple days ago but haven't gotten an answer from her. I hope she is ok and just really swamped with work. ~ I could send you some hot weather to help a few of you sisters dry out!
It doesn't seem like September around here...it feels more like July or August with this heatwave.

Well, I slept much better last night. Thanks for your prayers and good thoughts. There will be a Memorial
service for my MIL on Sat. the 17th in Spokane (6 hr. drive from here) and then after the funeral we will
have a Party in her honor. She would so be for the party that's for sure. She made everday a party or celebration for 84 out of her 86 years. My ex and I get along great. So, don't for see any problems at the service or the party. Which is nice.
One of my friends brought a bunch of early girl tomatoes from her garden, to Bible Study last night...they are nice big slicing tomatoes...so, I have my mouth all set for a lucious BLT for lunch today. All of my tomatoes, including my early girls are still green on the vines and absolutely none of them are a very big size.

I have a tons of small things I need to get done today...but I don't feel like doing any of them. Another friend of mine here in the Senior Estates died this morning. She was a beautiful and ellegant lady. We knew she had thyroid cancer but she started having heart problems too. They did an angio-plastic procedure on her yesterday and she died of a heart attack today. They say these things happen in threes and I have seen it so many times myself. I think it might be my little sister next...as her body is shutting down on her. She can barely talk, she can't eat, can go to the bathroom, can't get up out of bed. Her and my MIL have been sick the exact same amount of time. My sis lives in Spokane too. So, I will for sure be checking in on her while I am there also. Say, a little prayer for me...please, I'm beginning to feel a bit down. Not depressed just sliding down a bit in spirit.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 09 2011 4:59:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  11:51:00 AM  Show Profile
Angela - I detest mice in the house. I will go on a serious rampage if they get in. When we first got our house set up we had them and couldn't seem to find where they were coming in. Really ticked me off when they got into my children's Easter candy. Finally Matt found the holes and got them plugged and now my house is mouse free again. :) I love the idea of having things in jars too. I'm always on the hunt for one gallon glass jars. I don't have many but they are so handy for making sun tea etc. I have quite a few 1/2 gallon jars that I use for my milk, yoghurt and for storing things in the pantry. Sounds like you have some great ideas for making it look cute too.

Penny - No shame in tears, let them flow. Sometimes it's healing to get them out. I wished I lived close enough then I'd look after your livestock so you could go.

PeggyAnn - So sorry for your loss. I wish I had that kind of relationship with my outlaws! I'm preparing myself now (my son is five, my daughter 3) for when they marry and I want to be a great MIL. Lord willing I'll be like yours.

Bunny - So glad your mom's surgery went well. Prayers answered again. :) Has she decided to go to your sisters? I do hope it turns out well and everyone has a wonderful time. Just remember that men are sight based creatures and don't be to angry with him for wanting photos. It does seem strange that he's taking so long. If he's on eharmony that would imply that he's looking for a relationship. But maybe he's been through some trauma and just wants to be extra careful??? I met my hubby on a Christian Singles site but we moved FAST.

Cherime = Wonderwoman. Wow! You just do everything.

Well hubby lost some weight yesterday...... got the staples out!!! lol No signs of any infection, healing nicely. It's completely closed up but I guess before it's considered truly strong again it takes 6 weeks. So he still needs to be very careful not to have anything hit his head, could bust open again. We went out for Japanese lunch to celebrate. Hubby is addicted to sushami, I like rolls but nothing raw. My three year old adores miso soup so she had that. And for a second time in a row my son ordered a salad!!! I don't think my children are normal....seriously. LOL What three year old orders miso soup? And then snags one of my california rolls (seaweed is not a normal three year old choice)?

Husband received an honor just recently. He's been chosen by the potato board here to go to some special function in NY. It's something to do with impressive young potato farmers, I don't know all the details. But I'm hoping that me and the kids can go too because the kids did VBS this summer and it was a NY theme. They still talk all the time about the Statue of Liberty and their Big Apple Adventure. It would be cool to take them there for real to see the Statue of Liberty. Of course, little hick me would have to survive in a BIG city......

Just thought I'd add one of my wedding pictures.... there was a discussion on here recently about the Sacketts and this picture will probably explain me very well. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  5:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly...OK, Annie get your gun! (Old Movie You Probably never even heard of it). Very cute picture though, I wouldn't tangle with ya!!!! haha! ~ Hope you and the kids get to go to NY too. That would be so
very cool. Glad hubbies head is healing well and he got the staples out. That is good news!

blessings,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  5:33:50 PM  Show Profile
Peggy- I'll have to remember to post a pic of the celtic knot I did. I'm sorry you're feeling a bit down. I think it's natural and expected with what's happening in your life.

Staci- The last I have heard today is the fire is still 30% contained. Lots of mumbo jumbo about different types of planes coming to drop fire retardant but no updates on that yet. There's growing worry about a fire in the Houston area. It's more contained but also moving forward. Not sure what direction is "forward" though. Hopefully we will not have any more scares like this, however, still no rain in the forecast.

Bunny- I dunno...I'm a tad suspicious about that guy. You know some men enjoy the chase a lot more than the catching. Back in my single days and the old, old chat rooms, it was easy to spot someone who would almost get a high pursuing someone or being pursued. Like it was a complete ego feeder. They couldn't ever reproduce that in real life, though. Has he showed you a pic of him from head to toe? Sorry I'm negative, I've see too many toads pretending to be a prince.

Kimberly- You are a hoot in that pic! Nice choice of dress, too. Somehow I always picture you having brown/blonde hair. I hope you get to see New York.

Today I did clean my house and mop floors, etc. This afternoon I went and saw the doctor for my sinus infection and picked up an antibiotic, a steroid, sleepy meds to counteract hyperactivity from steroids, and a long term nasal spray for allergies. But like I always tell DH: DON'T ever leave the doctor's office WITHOUT a prescription. That's the game. They get a copay and we get a prescription for something.

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  5:35:26 PM  Show Profile
I just popped onto the Porch for a couple of minutes. Missing you, gals. I have been on the Golden Oldie forum - I mean the Over 50 forum - but just haven't had a lot of time and when I have the time, don't have a lot of energy for the last couple of days. There is no way I can touch bases with all of you ... wish I could. But know that every one of you is in my prayers - whether you need it or not. (And who doesn't need prayers!)

Kimberly, that photo is fantastic! And you sure are a purty lil gal. And congratulations to hubby. I hope you all get to go to NYC to help him celebrate the honor.

Luanne, glad you and your mom are both okay and recovering from the aftermath of Irene. As events move forward, we have to remember to keep all of you on the East Coast in our prayers.

And I sure am praying that the "credible threat" is thwarted. I do hope 9-11 is a day of remembrance and honoring - not another terrible news bulletin.

Pam - I am impressed. Any day with toddler-types all over the place would have me running for cover. I taught Bible School to first graders once upon a time - long ago. I was out of my element. It was my first ever "teaching" assignment, I had over 30 kids and no help - and the kids really knew how to take advantage of me. I was a total wreck at the end of the week. Only God got me through it. Never did it again. It was just not my "gift." So, again, I have to say - I'm impressed!

Kimberly - I'm so glad your hubby is getting well. The skull is bone - and when I had dental implants they took bone from my skull to graft to my jawbone. My jaw was misery - but I didn't even have a headache. The incision was a mess though. Hard to be "groomed" when you have to comb your hair around staples. And, by the way, I never thought to do chicken & rice in Sockaroni sauce. Great idea! Thanks! And I love that your little girl loves miso - me, too. And salad for your son! Wow.

Angela - what a shocker to discover that critters have helped themselves to your pantry goods! You sure have a better attitude than I would have had. You go, girl!

Bunny - Bourbon Street Vanilla Tea? Is that vanilla tea with bourbon added - or is it the tamer version (flavor) or is it just a cute name? And, btw, I glad your mom's surgery went well. Hopefully, she will decide she can, indeed, visit your sister now.

Julie - I haven't noticed a post from you for a little bit. I hope you are okay. We heard that the fires are mostly under control in Texas. Is that true - or is there still a lot of dangerous flareups? I'm betting you don't give a rip about how cute those firemen are - as long as they get the job done. But still ... you must at least peek. :-)

PeggyAnn - Thinking of you and praying you get the rest you need. Losing a friend right after losing your MIL is a double sadness. You are being held in prayer - and I know you are also being taken care of by Jesus. There is the comfort. And, my beautiful friend, you still have your sense of humor --- I bet Kimberly never heard of Annie Get Your Gun --- or Calamity Jane, either!

Cherime - I have no doubt you will have everything you need to get done all finished before winter sets in. You are one spunky gal.

Guess I better leave some of these Brown Butter Toffee Bars that I made this afternoon on the Porch. They seem to go fast - mostly into (and onto) my tummy. Sigh. Oh, and I also brought a jug of milk - non-fat to go with the million pounds of sugar and butter in the bars. BUT - if you break a bar in half before you eat it - all the calories spill out.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  5:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julie - I was just thinkingof you and we were posting at the same time. Glad to see you on here. oxox

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  6:21:40 PM  Show Profile
*blush* you ladies are to kind. Keep in mind that picture is 8 years, 20 lbs and two kids ago..... :D I couldn't get in that dress now if my life depended on it which ticks me off because I chose it partially because it was something I could wear again. Without the veil it just looks like a pretty white dress. You can't see it in the picture but it's got beading that looks like icicles... a northern girl transplanted in the south.

Ah, you ladies just don't know me yet. LOL Of course I know those names. I might be to "young" for them but I like all the old stuff. :) But my heroine is Echo Sackett. I'm still hoping they make that movie. She's my kind of gal; feminine and capable.

FarmDream - I dye my hair red. Figured it was only fair to warn the world! Besides I've got green hazel eyes and I'm as pale as a human comes so the color matches me somewhat well. :)

Hubby had a rough day. Had to fire someone. Not a fun chore. I've been praying for him all day.

Hugs,

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  6:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks everyone for the kind words, I held it in till DH got home today. OH MY, we had a real estate closing today...God always comes through, things were getting really tight and now we have enough to get us through for a few months.

I cried a little while and talked with DH about going to see David before he leaves. Well DH made plans tomorrow to go to Atlanta, his youngest son just bought a condo and was tearing out the kitchen cabinets and is giving them to us. It is a 2 hour trip one way, so there goes the whole day. You all know I have an outdoor kitchen, but we are trying to put a little something in the livingroom of the cabin...so these will come in really handy. But we are going Sunday to spend the day with him before his going away party. He wants us to stay for it and we may for a little while but he has so many people to say good by too don't want to be in the way. But at least I can see him for a little while.

Bunny, so glad your Mom's surgery went well. I really hope things work out with the man from the dating site. Seems life gets in the way sometimes doesn't it..

Peggy, Oh those tomatoes sound wonderful We had tomatoes from the garden this year but not enough to put up, which is odd since I planted so many. Just to hot for them I guess. I am so sorry for your double loss. That is a lot in one day to deal with. Wow, and I am so sorry to hear that your sister isn't doing well either...I agree with you, things happen in 3's.

Kimberly, I am so glad DH is doing good...and oh my those kiddies of yours are something else....I know you are so very proud of them. That is an awesome award your DH is getting, I really hope you get to go with him too...what a great trip that would be for your children. I just LOVE the pic...I mean really LOVE it. You are a very beautiful person inside and out...

Julie, glad you got something from the Dr. and sure hope you are feeling better.

Darlys, I just love that you left more toffee. I really am going to have to give it a try soon...sounds so good thanks.

I'm off to read some more on the boards, check back later.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  9:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Just a note before bed. I have a coffee date tomorrow with eharmony guy. I guess I finally broke him down. His emails have suddenly become more relaxed and friendly. I just hope we have that chemistry the guy on eharmony commercials keeps talking about. After all we were matched.
I'll let you all know how it goes. At least from my point of view.

Nite all!

Bunny

P.S. Kimberly, was that a shotgun wedding?

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  04:15:07 AM  Show Profile
No worries Bunny, I wore white for the old fashioned reason. But we did have some fun with the guns and have a photo of our Dad's holding them pointing us to the altar. lol Looking forward to hearing about your coffee date!

Penny you are to kind! Thank you. That is one of my favorite photos too. My wedding pictures turned out fantastic, the guy did an awesome job.

Julie - praying for a speedy recovery.

Kids have fevers. I've been working on keeping them down. The kids are fine, I'm just a worrier. Bolted awake at 3am. If I wake up like that when I have sick kids...... well I went into my daughter's room and she says, "Hi Momma!" Wide awake. Checked her temp and it was 103. So I gave her a bath and tylenol and it's coming down. Checked my son's temp while he was sleeping and it's 101. I'm not going to wake him up to bring that down. Good old fashioned sleep can help that more.

Gonna go see if I can get a little more sleep. Blessings to all.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page