willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  6:49:51 PM  Show Profile
It was actually an 8x11.5 but they were quite thick. I think a 9x13 would be fine. Also they were very cake-like when warm but when they cooled were more "fudgy" like a typical brownie.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  8:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I kind of gave up on my sourdough because the last loaf was way toooo... sour. Any way I can get it to be less sour? Toni
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  05:35:23 AM  Show Profile
Toni,
I don't know if this is scientifically correct.....but when my Ma became too sour I doubled her feedings for a couple of days and made sure her cover stayed damp. That seemed to calm down the sour.
I personally like it pretty sour, but I was preparing my start to share with my "real" mother...and she is not crazy about the real sour flavor....so that's how I toned it down.
And just an FYI to go along with the feeding chatter..... I normally feed mine the 1/2 C.flour to the 1/4 C. water once a day, and let her rest on the day I bake. From time to time I will throw in 2/3 C.flour to 1/2 C. water when I know I want to bake a bit more during the week. My "Ma" is to the point where, as I have mentioned before, she if very forgiving for mistakes I occasionally make. My observation is that she is more like a Dog than a Cat. She is dependent on me to feed her....and is very happy when I do. I can occasionally give her a treat (the extra flour and water) and she almost dances, or at least her bubbles do. She's been around for so long now that the counter would look strange without her being there. She's a keeper.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  06:52:13 AM  Show Profile
1. The day or two before baking, begin feeding your starter 2 times a day. But stop feeding about 12 hours before you plan to bake. (the idea behind this is that the starter will be more active altogether and will rise faster).

2. Utalize a shorter rise time. This can be accomplished by raising the temperature. Bread in a 75 degree location will rise twice as fast as that in a 55 degee location. Some say the longer you let it rise the more sourt it will be.

3. Use flours with a lower ash content. This would include all-purpose and bread flours. Whole wheat, rye or pumpernickle flours have a really high ash contents. Also white type flours with added rye flour have a higher ash content.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

mystree
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Barbara
Edgewood New Mexico
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  7:46:46 PM  Show Profile
My first attempt at this sourdough got "baked" when someone decided to preheat the oven without removing the contents. My second smells horrible but will be ready to bake tomorrow. I've heard that as long as your starter doesn't mold or turn pink, you're OK. So, wish me luck. I'm doing a small loaf of white and a small loaf of cinnamon craisin (dried cranberries). I'll post and let you know how it turned out
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  7:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Why does it smell horrible?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  8:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am having to dump my starter. Neither Doug nor I feel safe bringing her to the new house since really nasty molds had developed in the walls of the other house and we are worried about contaminating out new house. I am sure she is fine, but since a little flour, water and patience will give me a new starter- for our piece of mind we are starting over. I feel bad but at the same time relieved because I was really worried about bringing something dangerous over- even just on the glass or something. Ick.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  06:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Well, I baked my first loaf yesterday. I was going to make brownies but decided I really wanted to try the bread. My whole reason for doing this is to make wholesome, fresh, delicious bread for DH and I. It turned out so bad that I actually laughed out loud! It was a hockey puck, a weapon, an ode to everything that can go wrong, will...

When I put it in the trash it made such a loud thunk you could hear it clear across the house. I baked it for over 45 minutes and there were still raw patches; and it was a small loaf. It never rose! DH was determined to eat it, bless his heart, but when he saw the slice I cut for him he decided to take my word for it that it wasn't edible!

But, not to be discouraged I am determined to try again. This morning I gave Ma a double dose feeding and will try again on Sunday. I'm going to double up the feedings so that I can try the Farm House loaf Sunday and those yummy looking brownies (thanks Julie!). So, here we go; again :)

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  06:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How old was your starter, Peggy?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  06:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Alee~ it was just a week old. I've read some of the past posts where people didn't have success the first week or so. That's why I decided to give it at least another week and see what happens.

Also, this is just a general question: I live at 5300' and was wondering if the altitude made any difference? I've noticed there a couple of gals here from my area and I was wondering if any of you made adjustments for altitude?

I'm hoping for a better "bake" next Sunday... :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  07:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Usually to adjust for altitude you add a little more flour. I live at 3,301 and haven't had to adjust.

If your bake isn't exactly perfect next week, don't get discouraged. It seems to take about 3-4 weeks for the starter to become really reliable. Now if you can help the rise along by keeping it around 80 degrees (warm sunny spot, warmed oven) etc. Then it seems to help the bread, also if you can keep your starter as close to 80 degrees for the next week then you will be giving the yeasts a prime growing temperature so you would hopefully have more yeast per cup than otherwise and therefore get a better rise.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  07:09:10 AM  Show Profile
I baked my second loaf yesterday - I've had my starter now for 2 weeks. I made the Farmhouse white - it came out great! I was so proud! I took pictures of my batter and the bread - I made 4 orange size loaves so my husband could take two on the road with him and break them up easier. I'll post them later when I have some time. Now I want to buy a Cast iron pan to bake in - the one I have is too big. And I want to try the raisin cinnamon bread but add cranberries instead too - my husband loves cranberries but not raisins. I was so thrilled it worked! I need to buy more towels too - I only have one of the thin cotton ones, thought I had cheesecloth but I don't - and need to wash the towel that's been on it. Thanks for all the tips and information on this!

Lisa
http://lisa22968.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  07:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Alee~ thanks for the pointers. I've been trying to keep "Mum" warm. We had blizzard warnings here last night so that's not too easy to do on a continual basis. Makes me wish for a gas oven with a pilot light! I'll try putting her on the kitchen counter this afternoon when the sun is coming in the west window... I'm not ready to give up yet!

Lisa~ Congrats on the successful baking! I was wondering if your first week also went well? I'm hoping my 2nd week is a success. I can't wait to try again Sunday. I also took pictures of my "hockey puck" and will try to post later...just for laughs!

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  07:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Peggy - I have an electric kitchen range - I raise my bread in the oven with the light on - this would probably work well for your starter as well. Keep trying!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  08:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Glad to see so many of us hanging in there! It was a mixed week for me. Tried to make rolls but they turned out like hockey pucks! The dogs are enjoying them though, lol! My loaf of bread had a nice rise and the texture is good. However, it is way way too sour. Tastes good with jam, but doesn't make the best sandwiches. I think it is a combination of leaving the loaf to rise too long and my starter getting very sour.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  08:33:57 AM  Show Profile
Peggy,

Don't give up! My first time we called the loaves River Rocks. The starter seems to do better after the second week (for me anyway :))

We are at 6700 ft. and no problems :) The only adjustment I made was to Ronna's recipe. I used less flour and used the dough only cycle on my bread machine. It came out great!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  09:06:07 AM  Show Profile
Peggy - my first week's loaf came out rock hard. This week came out great. Good luck this week! That sunny window should work.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  09:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement!! I'll keep you all posted. Sunday is bake day for me :)

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  10:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Ok, I am trying a little "trial and error". My mother is so sour that you can actually smell the sour in the air when you come into my back door. Not a "bad smell" just the very strong smell of sourdough. I still have a fairly large mother, so I scooped out 1 cup and put it into reserve in case my trial doesn't work. Then to the remaining mother I have added 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda with the usual feeding. My theory being that the sour comes from the acidity of sourdough. If I can tame the sour just a little, I'm hoping to make good tasty bread again. So far (just over 12 hours into the trial) mother is still bubbly and happy and smelling a little less sour than before. I'll let you know how this works when I do bread on Wednesday.

"we come from the Earth, we return to the Earth, and we garden in between"

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  11:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The more your bake with your bread, the less sour she should be as well- I think that there are several stages of digestion of the flour for the yeast. Once the flour is 100% digested by the yeast the by product is the sourness and hooch. I think it takes a couple of days for it to get to the 100% digested phase. It's been my experience the if you are baking every 2-3 days then the sourness is greatly reduced. When I was baking small batches everyday and only feeding the amount that I wanted for starter the night before the bread didn't taste like sourdough to me at all- almost just like using yeast out of the packet except I knew I had raised this yeast myself.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  11:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Alee,

I haven't had any "hooch" with my starter so far. Have also been baking usually two or three times a week. The really sour developed after a change in the weather. We'd had some really nice days in the 50s & 60s and then crashed back the the teens and 20s. After the weather changed my starter changed texture a bit too. It became more like a drop cookie dough texture than like a waffle batter texture. No other changes (same bag of flour, same water, same environment). As I said before it is still happily working away and really doing everything it is supposed to be doing.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  12:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't that interesting how the environment affects the starter because it is alive? I bet that your lactobacilus (part of the healthy sourdough mother) has really been thriving and the colder temperature might have put your yeasts to sleep a little bit. Hopefully as the warmer temperatures kick back in your starter will get back into balance a bit more for you.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  1:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Here's my batter, bread rising, and finished bread this past weekend. I hope this worked. If not, I'll try again.

Lisa

Edited by - lisa229 on Mar 23 2009 1:20:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

ParisKnight
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Kathy
Boston MA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  1:26:27 PM  Show Profile
Oatmeal quick bread

I had a family function this Saturday so didn't have time to wait for a rise so I thought I'd try a "quick" bread.

It worked really well so those of you who are having troubles or if you just don't want to wait for a rise you might try this. The bread comes out with a lighter texture then MaryJanes recipes. I think I am going to try a banana bread using this method next week. Tomorrow I am going to do the brownies.

1 cup milk
1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup oil - I used vegetable
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup starter
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour

Heat milk and pour over oats - allow oats to cool
Add wet ingredients to starter then add flour, salt and baking soda
Pour batter into 8 x 4 loaf pan
Bake at 400 for 45 minutes or so

No rise necessary

Edited by - ParisKnight on Mar 23 2009 1:34:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  1:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
This time of year the weather goes through a lot of changes here. So, a month old starter probably is going to have some up and down days just like we do. Honestly as long as it is still functioning it is hard to find fault with it. Think maybe for Wednesday I'll do my normal bread and the dog biscuits to make sure that I bring the amount of starter down to between 1/2 and 1 cup maximum in reserve and start the building again. Normally I do at least a double batch of something twice a week anyway.

I think you are right about my lactobacilius because since switching the dog biscuits that I make over to sourdough from my regular recipe my basset hounds have had a much happier digestive tract.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page