willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  4:15:12 PM  Show Profile
My starter changed drastically once the weather started warming up too.It is amazing!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  4:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes the weather warming seemed to help my starter too. Did your brownies Julie and they were GGGRRREEATTT!! I found a stomboli recipe I want to make so I'll be making the pizza dough mmmmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

EarthKind
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Angel
Valencia CA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  6:14:26 PM  Show Profile
HI Girls, I saw a mention of a pizza dough recipe and was wondering if anyone could tell me which page it's on? Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #481
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  8:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Angel,
A list of most of the recipes is on page 71.
Go to Top of Page

mystree
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Barbara
Edgewood New Mexico
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  10:38:19 PM  Show Profile
My "mother" looked wonderful all week. I was not strong enough the stir the ingredients together in my mixing bowl so I opted to knead it briefly. My bread was a disaster. I used water when I baked it but the "crackle" was more like cement. It didn't rise worth beans after eight hours. I baked it anyway. It was dense and I had to peel it, but it tasted good. What did I do wrong?
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  06:54:40 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, that's what happened the first time I made mine. Same exact thing. The next week came out better. Maybe it was drafty? I'm trying to remember where I let mine rise....maybe that was the problem. My "mother" was super thick the first week tho - not wonderful like yours. Could climate or low/high pressure affect the rising?

Lisa
http://lisa22968.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  07:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Well, two things to report. First, I finally named my starter "Mum" being a bonfide Anglophile...lol.

Second, and most importantly, Mum looks better this morning than any day since I started her. We're into the 2nd day of the 2nd week now. This morining she was very bubbly, no skin on top, pleasant smell. I feed her 1/2 cup of water and 2/3 cup of KA flour yesterday and I think the larger feeding may be what made the difference. I've decided to feed her double what MaryJane suggested in the article because I would like to bake more than once a week and also based on some of the comments for other gals here.

So, maybe I'm on the right track and I'll have a successful bake on Sunday. I'm thinking that quite a few of us didn't have successful first weeks from the comments. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us! Good Luck!

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  09:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Good luck Peggy! I'm glad to hear she's bubbly!

Lisa
http://lisa22968.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  09:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
The cement like crust was something that I had too. Using an egg wash on the top of the bread before baking made a HUGE difference. Thanks to the suggestion from the group!

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  12:02:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I just wanted to report that I used a pampered chef stoneware mini loaf pan and it worked very well. The bottom and sides of the loaves was chewy and crunchy. I think it worked similar to my cast iron pot. It was rather fun to try it out. I had decluttered my kitchen and gave the pan to a neighbor last year. She had it on a top shelf and hadn't used it yet so now it is back in my kitchen and is finally useful. :)

I have a question about sharing my starter. My real mother (not the sourdough one) is visiting and is flying back home. Can I give her, say 1/2 cup in a sealed plastic container and she can put it in her checked baggage? Has anyone done this?

Have a beautiful day!
Amber

Farmgirl #505
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." --A.A. Milne
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  1:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
in checked baggage it should be fine...for carry on you get into the 3 ounce rule & the quart zippie bag with the TSA

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  5:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would put a label on the baggie even in checked baggage- so they don't throw it away if they search her things.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ginnybee
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Ginny
Seattle WA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  7:42:44 PM  Show Profile
1. I have heard horror stories about exploding sourdough on airplanes. It should never be in a sealed container as it could explode. IMHO, sourdough is too old-fashioned for air travel.

2. The mold I noticed last week in the top of the bowl has not spread. I salvaged the mother by ladling her into another bowl. And now I make sure to keep the sides scraped down.

3. I've been reading a book called "Alaska Sourdough" which uses a slightly different sourdough recipe (potato water is involved). The author, Ruth Allman, says that baking soda cuts the sour (it's alkaline, "sour" is acid). Almost all of the book's recipes involve baking soda, but I'm not sure how to translate b/c her "mother" is different than the MJ mother. If anyone has success in using baking soda to cut down the sour, please share. My bread is delicious, but it would be nice to tone down the sour if desired. (I'll be trying the other suggestions, too.)

4. I'll be letting cinnamon-raisin rolls rise overnight for tomorrow's breakfast. I can hardly wait! YUM.

Edited by - ginnybee on Mar 24 2009 7:43:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

mimilou
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Mary Lou
Lancaster PA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  05:47:03 AM  Show Profile
All you recipe gals,
Do you have a recipe for blueberry bread? My daughter has put a request in and I'm not inventive. Thanks for any recipes you might have.
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  06:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Just want to say 'Morning to everyone! Mum is looking even better today. She's so much more "alive" looking than last week. I can't wait to bake Sunday. Have a good one!

Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  07:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Well this is my 5th time baking. And my best loaf yet. Flavor and texture are both very good. It rose nicely in the pan, have been toasting and using for sandwiches. One thing I did do different and it wasn't cause I planned it. I always feed in the mornings. So I feed her Saturday and was to bake on Sunday (which is also her day of rest). Things came up and didn't get to bake on Sunday. So early Monday I pulled out my starter, mixed up my dough (used MJ recipe) and feed the mother. Put my dough in the loaf pan. (same metal pan I have been using, cause haven't gotten a cast iron on yet)Placed it in the slightly warmed oven with my steaming pot of water. Covered with a damp towel. Within 2 1/2 hours it was pushing up the towel and above the sides of the pan. I baked it and checked the temperature. I think that is very important when baking this heavier bread. I am glad the article suggests that, Cause I start to check when I think it's done, but sure enough it needs just a little more time. Usually about 10 min otherwise it would be gummy. Putting a foil tent on really help keep the crust from getting to brown.

I wonder is the starter was so hungry that it caused it to rise so fast??? I think Julie had mention you want at least 12 between feeding and baking with the starter, if memory serves. This would have been longer.

One other thing I did notice is the starter that I took out seemed more light.... Our house is very dry always have the humidifier going. My starter always has a slight crust on top even when wetting the towel.(Probably should do that more then once a day) Just stir it back in and it has been fine. So my starter might just be some what thicker then it should. But like I said when I took it out on Monday under the crust it seem way more airy or just a different consistency.
Maybe I need to add just a little more water to her???

Those of you just getting started. Hang in there. It does just take time for your mother to kick into gear and develop. Thanks to all who kept reminding me to do so.

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  07:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Well I made my first loaf at the end of last week and it turned out great! I was so surprised because after being "burned" a few times by sourdough starters I was leary. I am now a convert. I am not sure how to post pictures on this thread but I did add a picture to my blog if you want to see my darling little loaf!

Thanks MaryJane and everyone here for your support!

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
City Chick & Friends Chapter Mama
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  1:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Christina,

Your loaf looks great!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  2:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Christina~ great looking bread. Much better than my hockey puck! I'm not giving up though. I'll be baking again on Sunday.

Peggy :)

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  3:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
As mentioned earlier this week, my mother had gotten extra extra sour. When you walked into my house all you could smell was sourdough! I added 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to my mother and fed her for a couple days. Today I used the Farmhouse bread recipe and added to it 1 teaspoon of baking soda. My loaf came out wonderful. It has that touch of sour that is great for sandwiches, but isn't over powering. So, this session was a success.

So to answer the question about about baking soda, it is going to be an individual trial and error to find out how much you need. You'll have to match up how sour your mother is and your personal taste in bread. I'd say start sparingly.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  3:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
I saw this little tidbit out on the internet and wanted to bounce it around the group.

The person baking the artisan no-knead bread placed their loaf on the baking stone in the heated oven, then placed over top of the loaf a large disposable lasgna pan making a tent of sorts (they said you could use an oven safe bowl too). It stated that the "cover" should not touch the loaf and allow sufficient room for any rise in the bread. The logic was to have a softer crust using the steam that the bread gives off while baking without messing around with ice cubes in the oven or bowls of water. Then the last few minutes of the bake they uncover it to brown it up if they desire.

Sounded sort of interesting to me. I'll give it a try the next time I make bread and report back. Would welcome hearing the thoughts of others too. We have a lot of experienced people here...so combined we are a force to be reckoned with!

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  3:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
mimilou,

what type of blueberry bread are you looking for? A regular yeast bread with added blueberries or a quick bread that uses our sourdough & blueberries? Also a sweet bread or not?

Go to Top of Page

mimilou
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Mary Lou
Lancaster PA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  3:51:37 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to incorporate the sourdough in some way with the blueberries. I've been baking with the sourdough for 5 weeks now and love the whole process and the end results. My daughter lives out of town and I'm hauling my mother out to bake for her. Thanks for any recipes.
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  5:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Lisa~ I've been baking the artisan no knead breads for about 2 months now. Instead of using the pan over the top of the bread...I placed my bread in a casserole and covered it for the first 15 minutes of baking and then uncovered it. I got a wonderful result w/o having to use a stone or water. On the ABin5 website they talk about using Dutch ovens in this way also. I didn't have the Dutch oven but used the casserole dish instead. Great result. Hope that helps! :)

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  6:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Peggy,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a stone yet either, but am considering it as a future addition for making pizza with the sourdough. All the loaves I've made have been either in glass baking dishes or these great oven safe stoneware bowls that I have. I have covered my loaf with foil for the last 1/2 of the bake and use the egg wash to help keep the crust a little softer. Yes, it IS artisan bread and the crust is supposed to be quite firm. Some of us have debated and traded ideas for a slightly softer crust here in the forum because we all have our own likes and dislikes. Just thought to throw out that tip that I saw in case anyone had tried it or wanted to try it. Thanks so much for sharing your tips with us!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page