QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  1:47:51 PM  Show Profile

Here's my "mother" doing nicely on day four. Sweet and yeasty smelling- the best sourdough starter I have had. Can't wait to make bread with her...

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  5:28:12 PM  Show Profile
DAlyn - it looks good! I love your bowl!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  5:39:12 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane’s Bread Article ..........................................pg. 1

Baked French Toast with Apples and Nuts................pg. 12

Pancakes.....................................................................pg. 13

Sanfrancisco Style Bread (Ronna) ............................pg. 13

Old Fashioned Biscuits (celticheart) .........................pg. 17

Pancakes (celticheart) ...............................................pg. 17

Croutons....................................................................pg. 18

Waffles.....................................................................pg. 19

Buttermilk Biscuits ..................................................pg. 27

Whole Wheat Biscuits .............................................pg. 27

Basic Biscuits...........................................................pg. 27

Pizza Crust ..............................................................pg. 32

Bagels......................................................................pg. 43

English Muffins (Ronna).........................................pg. 45

Carrot Cake ............................................................ pg. 47

Bread Machine White Bread w/ added yeast..........pg. 49

Pecan/Date Bread....................................................pg. 51

Dog Treats..............................................................pg 53
Banana Cake (pearlgirl).........................................pg 54
Honey Wheat Oatmeal Bread (parisknight)………pg 62
Croissant.....................……………………………..pg. 63
Pumpernickel Bread ………………………………pg. 65
Chocolate Chip Cookies(GailMN)…………………. Pg. 66
Cake Like Brownies………………………………..Pg. 67
Sideways Sourdough Fruit Cake(lupinelady99)………………………….pg. 67
Sourdough Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce(lupinelady99)…………………..pg. 67
Sourdough Bran Bread(lupinelady99)…………………………….pg. 67
Sourdough Applesauce Cake(lupinelady99)……………………pg. 68
Sourdough Chiffon Cake(lupinelady99)………………………pg. 68
Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies(lupinelady99)…………….pg. 68
Sourdough Spice Cookies with Maple Frosting(lupinelady99)……pg. 68
Sourdough Oatmeal Cookies(lupinelady99)……………pg. 68
Black Bean and Chipotle Bread(lupinelady99)…………pg. 68
Seven Grain Cereal Bread(lupinelady99)……………..pg. 68
Sourdough Oatmeal Coconut Cookies(lupinelady99)……..pg. 68
Sourdough Sugar Cookies(lupinelady99)………………pg. 68
Sourdough pretzel recipe(lupinelady99)………………pg. 68

I am cutting and pasting this from my word doc. so I have no idea why it changes size and spacing in the middle. Sorry if it is weird.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  7:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Julie~ Thanks for the recipe index. I just copied and pasted it to a word document for safe keeping :)

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  12:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Ran across this and wanted to share with the group: I was putting laundry away today and thought of this. Don't know if it will apply to anyone, but it feels worth sharing. I received some kitchen towels as a gift that are "anti-microbial". It is nothing that I would have bought and in fact I won't even use them on dishes (only to dry hands). Now I know that some of us are covering mother with a damp towel. Don't know if these towels would hurt your mother, but who wants to chance losing mother to something like this.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  1:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Dalyn - your starter looks awesome! Mine looks like yours so I'm glad. Love your bowl too....
Lisa - I would think the thin cotton ones work best for covering your mother - I won't even chance my terry cloth ones....
But I was thinking of making special starter ones with muslin and finishing the edges. Does anyone know if that's okay to use? Same thing, isn't it?

Lisa
http://lisa22968.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Personally, I like cheesecloth....and that's what I've been using for the past 2 plus months. I buy organic from my healthfood store.
Just my 2 cents worth!
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  3:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
I haven't bought kitchen towels in ages so don't know how common that "anti-microbial" is. I do know that you see it in so many products out there and those of us that try to live more organically/greener try to avoid it. It was just something that I thought worth a mention. I've got some nice older towels that work great that came from my sons' great grandmother that are the perfect weight and size for baking & mother. I don't used the clothes dryer for the most part, so towels seem to last forever for me.

Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  4:31:56 PM  Show Profile
I just had to tell you that I finally had success baking! This is mother's fourth week and I made the olive-garlic-rosemary bread. It had a fabulous texture and crumb, and of course, a great flavor. I'm so pleased. I was beginning to get frustrated with my weekly "doorstops". I still want to be able to make the basic farmhouse white, but it hasn't turned out well yet. Maybe it will next time!

Thanks to everyone for their inspiration!
Amber

Farmgirl #505
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." --A.A. Milne
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  5:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Way to go Amber - so happy for your success - someone said in an earlier post that sourdough baking is an addiction - and I have to agree. I have baked 2 times this week and will again tomorrow. My neighbors and family are loving it. My hubby's favorite is the carrot cake and the pancakes. I have a few recipes I would like to convert to sourdough, but haven't ventured down that path yet!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

Sewsmartie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Martie

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  5:06:35 PM  Show Profile
I am hoping for sucess tonight. I will mix it and back in the morning. Like Amber, I do not want another door stop! California is warmed up a bit so perhaps "Mama" will do better on my kitchen counter. I still wonder if I can use my bread oven for this. I did not get a reply. Unless the bread is in a container I do not seem to achieve the "artisan" look. How I wish I could as I would love to make bread bowls like Panera serves!

Sewsmartie
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  6:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Ronna,

I made your San Francisco Style bread (page 13) today. It is wonderful!!! I did tweek the recipe a little :) I used my bread machine's dough only cycle and only needed to add 4 cups of flour. My husband is on his third slice right now :) Thanks again!

I am looking forward to trying Julie's Brownie recipe soon :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  06:43:44 AM  Show Profile
Kate, I never thought to use cheesecloth! Thanks! I have some...
Lisa, if they're the "going green" stuff, they'd probably be fine. I never heard of anti-microbial....now of course I'll be looking...LOL
Congrats Amber on your successful baking!!
I think I'm just going to try the basic farmhouse white this weekend.
If my "rest" day is on Saturday, can I take my 2 cups out that day but not mix or bake it till Sunday? Do I just leave it resting in a separate bowl and then add my stuff on Sunday and bake?

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  08:00:57 AM  Show Profile
If you want to wait til Sunday to bake I would suggest you leave it in the same bowl and just take out what you need for baking on Sunday BEFORE you feed the starter.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  12:09:19 PM  Show Profile
okay - thank you Julie...

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  06:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Ok, this might be a foolish question but just need to know the answer....

Why do we give mother a day of rest each week?

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I don't know but my mother is resting today also. I have my second loaf setting to rise today. It is cool and raining today. I hope it don't have an effect on my dough. I put it in the oven with the light on. That seems to be the warmest place in the house. Can't wait till this eve when I can bake it. Hope this loaf last longer than the first one I made. My grandsons came in and took over. I wonder if they know that I am baking a loaf every Saturday.

Which brings up a question. How can I expand my mother? How much do you need to start a second mother? One loaf a week is not enough. This question might have been answered before but don't have time to read all 72 pages of this topic. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  07:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lisa-
That isn't a foolish question at all! It is just because of the math amounts of flour and water that Mary Jane recommends. If you feed the mother every day, and then baked always using her recipes, you would slowly gain extra starter- and in a couple weeks your starter would have doubled in size. So by taking one day off, you will always have the right amount to bake with, with just the right amount left over to continue the starter for the next week's baking.

Belle if you want to bake multiple times a week, just multiply the base amounts of starter feeder (flour and water) that is in the original instructions by the times you want to bake (or batches) you want to bake each week. So I am going to do a few examples below to show:

For one baking a week you feed daily:
1/3 Flour + 1/4 cup water = 1 weekly baking

For two bakings a week you feed daily

[ 1/3 * 2 ]flour + [ 1/4 * 2 ]water = 2 weekly baking
so that means:
2/3 flour + 1/2 water = 2 weekly bakings

3 bakings a week would then be:
[ 1/3 * 3 ] flour + [ 1/4 * 3 ] water = 3 weekly bakings
so that means:
1 cup flour + 3/4 water = 3 weekly bakings.

I hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  08:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Alee. Just always wondered about that is all. Personally because I'm a rebellious sort I feed mother at least once a day, but sometimes as much as 3 feedings a day depending on what my baking plans are for the week. I try to give her a day off here and there to allow for the "sour flavor" to develop. With the multiple feedings, it works better for me to split them up over the course of a day rather than to just dump it all in at once. It seems to be easier to stir everything up better that way and I thought it might be better for the yeast to have it split up. Don't know that there is any "science" to back that theory up, lol. I guess we will all develop our own styles from MJ's blueprint.

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee, that will work for me. I didn't want to have 2 bowls of mother sitting on the counter. So starting tomorrow, I'll add 2/3 cup flour and 1/2 cup of water daily. I will bake later in the week and again on Sat. Letting Mother rest on Saturday.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  12:22:34 PM  Show Profile
Belle - I have doubled mine one week and then knowing I wasn't going to bake a lot the following week reduced back down to normal feedings. I have not had any problems with this.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  2:55:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm baking more Sourdough bread today and I made Julie's Brownies :) It's killing me not eating them yet but they are for after dinner :) They look and smell divine!

Girls,

I have been sharing my starter with friends too!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

ginnybee
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Ginny
Seattle WA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  3:46:58 PM  Show Profile
I doubled-up on a few feedings for Mom and made the multigrain bread on Thursday. It was wonderful - rose more than the last loaf. Still looking around for a 2 qt. pan (I never buy new until I've exhausted all the nearby thrift stores) so I used the big Dutch oven again.
I hadn't scraped the sides (I'd heard that if I let it dry on the sides, I could keep the dried up bits as dried starter) and discovered mold this morning! The mold was high on the sides so I used my silicone ladle to remove most of the mother from the bottom to a different bowl. Chances are, she's infected and the mold will spread but I'm hoping for the best. I'd hate to have to start over.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  3:52:57 PM  Show Profile
Ginny - I think you will find that she will be fine once transferred to another bowl. I don't think you will need to start over.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  3:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Julie~ Those brownies look so good I'm thinking of baking them for my first try with the starter tomorrow! I just need to know what size baking dish you used. It looks like a 9x13 from the picture, but I can't really tell. I think nice warm brownies with some vanilla ice on top would make a good Sunday treat and a great way to introduce DH to sourdough baking! Thanks!

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page