MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  4:50:17 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to run a straw poll (you know a farmer invented that term) and find out who purchased either King Arthur's Organic Bread Flour or King Arthur's Organic All-Purpose Flour and COULD NOT get a good mother started????? If you'd rather write to me off the forum, that's fine. I have something up my sleeve but first I need to know who you are. Thanking you in advance. Write to iris@maryjanesfarm.org

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  4:58:58 PM  Show Profile
Kristin - I believe MaryJane said in an earlier post that as long as it is a hard wheat any of them would work fine. I am using KingArthur Wheat flour. It is a hard red wheat I belive.

You do not have to make a double loaf on wednesday. One loaf will be fine especially if you want to bake again on Saturday.

MaryJane - As you know I am working with both the Bread Flour and the All Purpose flour. I had successful starters from both but much better baking results the 2nd week. Of the two I am preferring the AP flour. It seems to me to have a better consistancy than the bread flour, oddly enough!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kofarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kandra
Hedley Texas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  5:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie I will try the biscuits tonight. We are having breakfast for dinner!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4718 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4718 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  5:03:37 PM  Show Profile
I bought Whole Foods brand, 365 Organic Flour, and it worked beautifully! I made my first two loaves today and to my amazement they came out perfectly! I am quite "bread challenged" and this is the first time I made two perfect loaves! The house smells delicious, they look great and taste even better then they look! Thank you so much for the recipe MaryJane. If it wasn't for you, I would have thrown in the towel for good when it comes to making bread! I

I have to admit that I didn't quite follow the instructions all the way, but miraculously my breads came out! I can't wait to make the next two!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  6:17:25 PM  Show Profile
YUMMY DELICIOUS! this third loaf of bread fromthe original starter is the best yet.. oh My goodness.. I just took it out of the oven and cooled it a bit..You know there is nothing better than fresh bread from the oven.. The sourdough flavor is just like Mary Jane said.. if you have had trouble making it.. keep trying.!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age... Lucille Ball
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  6:42:20 PM  Show Profile
Don't know what happened but my first attempt was a flop! I made my mother just like Mother Hen said to, even went to the thrift store to find a nifty cast iron pot to bake it in. Well, I baked it, checked its temp after 20 minutes, but it came out really dense and weird. :( Anyone got a clue what happened?

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  7:16:30 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Julie. I will try it tomorrow with half hard white and see what happens.

And I am using the KA all purpose organic. So far my first attempt this past Sat. was great. This next time I will use a heavy loaf pan. My hubby loves it!! But we will alternate with our whole wheat bread, just for the fiber.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  8:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi MaryJane-

I am using the Bob's Red Mill brand flour and it is working fabulously!

Hi Julia- how old was your starter? It seems the baby starters (in the first week) are a little underachieving in the rising category. Keep feeding her and try to let you dough rise in a warm environment to give the yeast their best chance.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

curbside
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

jane
milan NH
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  8:17:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm determined to get this right but I'm a little discouraged. I started out 2 1/2 weeks ago and followed the instructions to a tee. The dough felt great and I chose to try the farmhouse white loaves. I shaped them and placed them on a stoneware cookie tray. Instead of rising, the dough flattened out and ended u p loking like a white cow flap. I tossed them in the garbage and had to wait another week before I had 2 cups again to start another bread. Sanme thing happened the second time. I let the dough "rise" for close to 24 hours and when it wasn't rising I baked it to see what would happen but it just turned into a one inch high mass of dough. I think my house may be too cool for any of this to be working. Can someone help me out. I will be able to try another approach this weekend when I have yet another 2 cups to work with, Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Erica Lea
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Erica
Atlanta GA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  05:10:01 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
I have been reading this forum, but this is the first time I have had a chance to post. I started my mother on 1/17 and she started a little slow. By the second week (last weekend) I had a beautiful loaf of bread. I used the recipe for Multi-grain Bread, but I put half KA White Whole Wheat flour and half KA bread flour. It has been really lovely. We have been really enjoying making it into PB&Js.

Interestingly, as I started to feed my mother again this week it was rising very rapidly. When I came home from work on Monday and went to wet Mother's towel I found that she had risen to within a half inch of the top of the bowl (the same as it had looked on the previous Friday). I was so surprised I just stared at it for several minutes. We ended up having breakfast for dinner. I took out enough starter to make the Sourdough Pancakes (which were absolutely delicious!) She seemed very active again yesterday. Has anyone else experienced this?

Erica

Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
-Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  06:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Julia - keep at it! this seems common with the youg starters. Give it another week or so and you will see better results.

Jane - I experience a lot of spreading when doing the free form style loafs. If you use a pan that holds the bread tight it will have more of a vertical rise. You could also put your pan in a cold oven with the light on while you let it rise. The warmth from the light will help with the rise.

Erica - I have noticed a lot of rise in my starter on some days. When I stir it is seems to settle back down. I don't think it is a problem. We are having the waffles on Saturday and I cant wait cause they are so good!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

curbside
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

jane
milan NH
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  07:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie -

The article said to either use a covered cast iron pan, which I don't have...or a cookie sheet. I figured the stoneware sheet was the closest thing I had but I think you're right, something with sides would probably help. I'm still thinking that it's probably too cold in here. It's usually 60 in the house. I'll try the light in the oven and see if that helps. Usually when I bake bread, I stick a pan of hot water in the oven and place the dough in there to rise. It keeps it warm and free from drafts. I'm just not really sure if the starter is where it should be because I'm not getting it to rise at all...ever. This weekend will be my third attempt. Wish me luck!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  08:04:40 AM  Show Profile
Jane I used a stoneware pan and placed heating pad on low underneath it. I still got a lot of spreading though.

Where is Milan, NH? I grew up in Quechee VT right over the border from Lebanon, NH.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Feb 04 2009 08:05:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

curbside
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

jane
milan NH
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  09:03:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julie -

I took the cloth off today to add the flour and water and I saw 2 spots of blue mold on the top 1/3 of the bowl where the starter had splattered when I'd mixed it. I'm thinking that maybe I'll pitch it and wait until it's warmer. The heating pad idea is a good one. I used to heat my oven to the lowest it would go, turn it off, put in a pan of hot water on the bottom rack and then put my bowl of dough on the next rack up covered in a warm damp cloth. worked every time. This no yeast thing is new to me and I was so hoping it would work, but I'm getting a little discouraged.

Quechee, Vermont is beautiful. My son lives in Woodstock! I moved from CT to Milan 7 years ago. Milan is about 12 miles north of Berlin. An hour east of St. J and maybe 2 hours north of Quechee. Where are you now?
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  09:54:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a question about what can be put back into the Mother. I read online that in the past a piece of the bread baked from the Mother would be folded back into it. I like the continuity of this, the full circle. That we give back a part of what we take from the Mother in order to sustain her.

So has anyone ever done this? If I do will it be broken down and dissolve or just leave me with dried crusty bread in my Mother sponge?

Thanks! Lara

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  10:48:47 AM  Show Profile
Jane that is so funny! My mom worked in Woodstock at Billings Farm as I was growing up and I was born in Connecticut and lived there until I was 9!!!!! Funny! I live in Arkansas now.

I'm not sure about the mold on the side. I try to keep my sides scraped down pretty well so I haven't seen this. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Lara - I have not heard of this. I'll do some research and see what i can find out.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  11:02:53 AM  Show Profile
I posted earlier that my third attempt using the original mother worked best.
Alee, I used Bob's Red Mill organic flour also and I baked it in a Pampered Chef deep dish pie pan this time and it. It spread out a bit in the dish and baked to about 2 1/2 inches high. Great flavor and texture. I let it rise all day from 7 am-5 pm baked until internal temp was 200 on the parchment paper. The first time I forgot to fill the cupcake tin with water to give moisture while cooking. I do not now if I would use the "mother " if there was mold on it. I thinkk I would start over.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age... Lucille Ball
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would throw away any starter that has mold growing as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Why was my dough not gooey? It's very firm and I did exactly like the recipe says for the farmhouse white. But it's just not sticky gooey like in the picture in the mag. It's rising nicely on the fireplace mantle again. But it's not a gooey bubbly mass like Alee's is. I am baking mine today in a heavy bread pan. It's so cold here the past few days I've moved my starter in to the dining room where it's warmer.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

pearlgirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lydia
Holland MI
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, my second loaf I made from 1 1/2 week old starter turned out bea-u-tiful! It only took two hours to double its size since I gave it a very warm environment (the heater/laundry room)and slightly warmed my cast iron pan on the stove top. It wasn't very sour either.

Last night I read for about an hour on sourdoughhome.com about all the whys and hows of sourdough. It was really enlightening. He said on there that the longer it takes to rise (i.e. the less natural yeast is in your loaf) the more sour it will be. The faster rise (like my 2 hour batch) don't give the bacteria long enough to make it sour. Today when I made the Farmhouse Wheat (I use half or more Prairie Gold - hard white - wheat) I let it rise in a cooler area and it took 4 hours to double in size and it is more pleasantly sour than my last batch. I just took it out of the oven, heavenly!

Now here are some pictures of my bread from Monday at 1 1/2 weeks old. I used half or more white wheat and let my stand mixer knead it about 5 minutes (to develop the gluten or elasticity). I baked it in a cast iron chicken fryer and make only 1 loaf instead of 2 small ones. It spread out and was only about 2 or 3 inches high, but it had perfect texture inside so I was satisfied. If I want to make it for sandwiches I will use my glass bread pan.

Ready to Rise

Ready to Bake

Ready to Eat!!

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Pro 31:30,31

http://pearlsgleanings.blogspot.com/
http://www.pearlgirl901.etsy.com/
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  4:41:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee and Julie, I will keep at it. The Ravens did enjoy the first loaf this morning in the backyard. Hopefully the next one will be for me!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  6:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Using a piece of "old bread" is more commonly used in making rye bread. The common practice in old days of saving a chunk of the dough for the next baking is what is correctly a 'mother'. Many here have chosen to call a starter a 'mother' and there is a difference. I believe I related many pages back that my MIL (born in 1904)told me of her mother and grandmother saving dough from one baking to next on the shelf above the cookstove. The pioneers would put the mother in the flour barrel to keep it safe and insulated from heat or cold.
Go to Top of Page

maerwert
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Mulino OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  6:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
I have had good results with Bob's Red Mill unbleached organic flour and a glass bread pan, sprayed with oil and dusted with cornmeal. My kitchen temperture varies between 60 to 70 degrees and Mother has kept working. Rising has been in the oven with the light on. Best results for browning the bottom of the loaf were obtained when using 2 small muffin pans placed on the bottom rack and on each side of the loaf pan (the loaf is on the middle rack). In this way the steam can surround the loaf but the heat gets to the bottom of the pan to brown it. The top sometimes gets a little too brown so it gets a foil cover after 15 - 20 minutes. Haven't found a cast iron pan yet. Internal temp. of 200 degrees is perfect. Baking temp. for the glass pan was 400 degrees.
I tried the rye recipe today and it is awesome. Appreciate the information you have all given. One hint: make sure to spoon your flour "loosely" into the measuring cup for accurate measure.
Thank you all for your help.
I posted a Herman recipe on the Herman Topic page. It is much more cake like and not calorie concious.

berrypatchmom
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  7:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ronna! I understand about saving some of the dough but how does it work to use an old piece of bread? I don't get that part!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  7:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I believe it's supposed to add to the flavor, but would have to research my ever shrinking brain cells or the book where it's specifically part of the process. Think it's "Secrets of a Jewish Baker" or close to that title. I honestly don't know that I've heard of it being done with sourdough. I was looking for a specific Mexican cookbook today and realized I have about 40 just on bread. They're mostly grouped together, but need to do the same with the rest for easier reference..and also clear out a whole bunch.

Edited by - Ronna on Feb 04 2009 8:35:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page