Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

jane
milan NH
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  7:47:02 PM  Show Profile
Julie -
I tossed the starter. Those two drops of mold on the side of the bowl bothered me. Too bad, I've been at it for almost 3 weeks and never got a loaf. Oh well, maybe I'll try again in a month or so when it's hopefully warmer.
I've never posted to this site until today and I have a feeling bread is the topic here but I have to ask you where in CT you're from. I lived there all my life until I moved north 7 years ago. What a small world. We hiked the trails behind my sons house in the fall and ended up on top of a mountain. From where we were there was a beautiful view of the Billings museum. I've never actually been there but I think I'll check it out this spring. I really like Woodstock.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  7:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Ronna - I am so impressed with you, your knowledge and your library. Please tell me a little about yourself and how you came to be so interested in baking and sourdough...are you a professional chef? If not, then may I ask, what are you?
Don't you love how MaryJane's sourdough example has brought us all this fun, fellowship and flavor?
I'm lovin' it. -Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  8:29:21 PM  Show Profile
I just used regular unbleached flour--because I had it and didn't want to buy more--and mixed it with my own home ground flour--about half and half. So far it's worked great. This week is even better than last week. I get my red wheat from a farmer friend. We trade for eggs.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  8:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I have to laugh...what am I??? A 62 yr old mother and grandmother who is a sales rep for Hasbro Toys, which has nothing to do with baking bread. I first learned to bake bread from my future MIL when I was 8 and spending the summer with my Dad here in NV. Had no clue she would be my MIL 8 short years later..don't know that I even knew her sons then. I started to cook about that time and have always been an avid reader of anything educational, including cookbooks. Mother did not care what I made as long as I cleaned up the kitchen when I was done. My first pie was Lemon Meringue because my older sister loved it and that was quite an adventure. By 9, I was making dinner for the family, including doing the grocery shopping. All these years later, I still love to cook and bake. Is that more than you wanted to know?
Yes, it is gratifying to know woman (and men) are still wanting to bake bread and all the other "back to basic" skills. Our grandmothers had no choice unless they were wealthy and could pay hired help. All in all, MaryJane has allowed us a wonderful forum to learn, visit, share and enjoy so much that is important. I've made some life long friends along the way. For that alone, I'm grateful for the opportunity.
I've somewhat backed out of the discussions because not all of my bread thoughts are the same as MaryJanes and don't want to interfere with her wanting to share her methods. I don't want to confuse anyone, but more than happy to share what I've learned all these years.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  9:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Ronna, thanks for sharing! Exactly what I wanted to know. I can only imagine how great it is for your grandkids that you are a Hasbro toy rep! My grandmother was a bank teller and as a kid, i can remember wishing she was a sales clerk at the toy store two doors down from the bank.
My first pie was pumpkin at age 14 or so and I am still spending all my time in the kitchen all these years (36 [almost]) later.
I love learning about baking, reading about baking, talking about baking, eating my baking and, of course, actually baking.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  9:34:14 PM  Show Profile
My grandson is nearly 19 and never did care about action figures, which means I don't know one Star Wars/Transformers/IndianaJones/GIJoe/Hulk/etc from another..not true, I do know Yoda, R2D2 and a few of those guys. My son (nearly 35) was/is a Diecast collector and daughter (46)still loves Barbie, so guess I'm with the wrong company...but I do love my job.
Love my baking and cooking and it shows, too :) Eating out just to be eating out is not always a pleasure for those who are good cooks.
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  06:16:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ronna

Using a piece of "old bread" is more commonly used in making rye bread. The common practice in old days of saving a chunk of the dough for the next baking is what is correctly a 'mother'. Many here have chosen to call a starter a 'mother' and there is a difference. I believe I related many pages back that my MIL (born in 1904)told me of her mother and grandmother saving dough from one baking to next on the shelf above the cookstove. The pioneers would put the mother in the flour barrel to keep it safe and insulated from heat or cold.

Ahh, thank you Ronna this is very interesting!

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  06:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Tomorrow will be another big test day for me.I have doubled the recipe and I am planning on using my glass "bread" pans this time around. While the free formed loaves were delicious I would like some for sandwiches and so I am going to try the pans. I thought of using my cast iron dutch oven but I'm afraid it is too big. The glass pans I have came with lids so they should do o.k..I guess the pans aren't really bread pans as they are round like the cast iron sauce pan that Mary Jane used. I hope I get the same delicious flavor as last week-I have noticed though that I don't seem to have the "hooch" on top this week. I do notice the beer smell though and last week I thought it was just faint.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Pam I am noticing less hooch and more bubbling/rising of my starter during the day. This is an indication that the starter is being well fed. Hooch indicates the starter is hungry.

I am wondering if there are any cast iron loaf pans out there!? I haven't seen any but that would be nice to have!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Jane - I am sorry about the mold problem. I try to keep the sides of the bowl scraped down. MaryJane recommends transferring the starter and washing the bowl out once a month or so. I try to do mine every two weeks. That is a real bummer. I don't think the cool temperatures should effect it. Mold tends to grow better in a warm, moist environment. Were you covering it with a damp towel? You should use cool or cold water for this. I hope your next attempt goes better.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Julie, Guess what? I found a cast iron loaf pan on monday at HomeGoods! I am so excited. It is preseasoned and, according to the bottom, it is made by "Old Mountain" c.2008. It was less than ten bucks and really nice. I'll be trying it out on sat...
this week, my hooch is less too and more bubbly. I strive to be like her today -bubbly because I'm well fed.

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:56:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I found the 2 qt. sauce pots at Kitchen Collection. I haven't bought any yet as I gave my DH a big,no hugh hint that I wanted one or two!!! I'm thinking it won't be candy and roses this year for Valentines day-cast iron for me all the way!!!lol

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  09:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Julie - Hi there! How would you describe HOOCH in the starter? I am guessing it is the liquid that I see on top of the mother sometimes.Not sure though. Is it OK to stir that in during the day? Or once I've added the flour n water in the AM does one need to not disturb it?

ALSO - anyone....my first batch of dough Monday was very thick; not stickey. I am wondering if it could be our dry, warm weather out here on in SoCal. Today I added just a touch more water than the 1/4 cup to see how that goes. Every morning I come into the kitchen...lift her towell and hope that it looks good. So far, so good! Thank everyone...this is a fun project.
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  09:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Lydia -Very nic pics of your bread! Looks so yummy :@)
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  09:24:52 AM  Show Profile
Cathy, This is what Mary Jane said a few pages back, and this described mine exactly:

"So you have your 2 cups of mother in a bowl. First, stir in the other ingredients like salt or honey or raisins or garlic/olives depending on what kind of bread you're going to make, then dump in the amount of flour the recipe calls for and stir again with the spoon. You'll only be able to stir it so long. When you can't stir it any more because it's essentially a ball with a spoon stuck in it, it's ready to be put into your baking vessel. The consistency at this point would be a handful of dough that you could start to knead on a board (with the addition of some flour) but you aren't going to do that. It'll be a little sticky but not overly so. It won't be runny AT ALL like a batter. It's a nice ball of dough that has pulled back from the sides of the bowl. Does that help???? Go back to the pics I posted of my dough in a bowl (with a spoon). I wish I had time to produce a quick video. It's on my list of things to do! But everyone here is doing such a good job. I love how a community of women gets the job done!"
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  09:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Suzan - Yeah, I had read that about the lump of dough with a spoon stuck in it - and it was just like mine in that way! HA!

I think what had me questioning or stumped was that in the mag. article it had said.....

Spoon your mass of sticky, gooey bread dough into the pan.

I think I kinda got hung up on thinking mine should have been a bit stickier. We'll see how this coming Monday - baking day goes. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  10:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Cathy - Yes the hooch is the liquid that forms on top. It is fine to stir it back in. It is actually an alcohol byproduct caused by the feeding process. It will help add to your "sour" in the sourdough. If you have excessive amounts you want to add a little extra flour (about a tbs.)when you feed. You can also pour a little of the alcohol off if there is a lot. I have found that as mine gets older the hooch has gotten to be less.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  1:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey this is where my pictures are about the sourdough bread that I made last week. Check it out.
http://s378.photobucket.com/albums/oo221/outbackfarm/

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  1:48:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi all I baked off my second attempt of bread. It came out better then first time around but still haveing hard time for it to rise. It looked like flat pancakes. Your loafs of bread looks.....so....good and nice looking. what am I doing wrong

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  1:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin your pictures of your sourdough was beautiful...My is very sadlooking. help what did you do to make it look like that?

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  1:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Debra what kind of flour are you using? How long are you letting it rise? What is the temperature in the house? What kind of container are you putting it in to rise/bake? I'll see if we cant narrow down the source of the problem.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  4:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I'm a newbee and also trying the bread and like you Debra my second loaf did not turn out. Both times I set the bread on a baking sheet with the parchment paper and it never did rise and I did bake it...will make a good door stop. I'm going to get a cast iron pot and try that. The flour I'm using is Arrowhead Mills organic unbleached white flour and using the distilled water. I also set the baking sheet on top of the cabinets where its warm. I'm stumped?
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  5:06:45 PM  Show Profile
Can someone help please? The bubbles in my Mother are suddenly VERY small. I thought that happened when she has used up most of her food?
Will she need to be fed more often if in a very warm location? Please let me know! Thanks! Lara

Lara #327

eta: I have been keeping her on top of the oven and I do bake alot. Could it be too hot there? thanks in advance!

Edited by - lara916 on Feb 05 2009 5:51:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  5:30:12 PM  Show Profile
This was my second baking last Saturday. I tried someone's (can't remember who) tip on turning the oven light on and letting the dough rise inside the oven. Much better than the first week! The flavor was very good and I've enjoyed every bit. However I think it was a bit too done on the bottom. Can I turn down the heat some for baking? Will it have to bake longer that the 20 minutes?

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  5:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Those looks beautiful Vicki!

Lara #327