Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  1:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda- I was doing some reading on the internet that says to feed more water/flour if you want your starter to be less sour. Also if your starter starts producing hooch- pour it off as that can contribute the the sourness as well. Also I have noticed that the more often I bake with the starter the less sour it is.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Feb 02 2009 5:51:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  3:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advise. I am so determined to do this right, but...when do you know your mother is beyond fixing? I'd rather start over then keep feeding a messed up mother. Sorry, that sounds funny. Thanks in advance!

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  5:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lisa!

If your starter shows activity in the say 3 hours after feeding her (bubbles forming on top and throughout the starter) then she is alive. If she turns black, red, pink etc then she has been contaminated with something bad and needs to be sent to her grave and a new mother needs to be started.

What does your starter look like say and hour or three after you feed her?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kofarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kandra
Hedley Texas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  6:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Ok, this is my first time to reply. I love the bread and all of your responses are very much appreciated. Alee thanks for the math equation. I really needed it.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  6:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum Kandra!

I am so glad it helped!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  6:21:21 PM  Show Profile
MAking another deliciious loaf or two small ones tomorrow Yipeeeeeeee I am out of bread just in time.. CAn't wait for dinner tomorrow..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age... Lucille Ball
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  7:29:05 PM  Show Profile
I love seeing all these pics. I am filing away all the tips...mine isn't in a ceramic bowl as melamine is all I had. Forgive me I am a 50's throwback. It's looking good though, I think! I named her Mother Bea, well because of the Bee Issue I suppose! Here she is, I hope that this isn't too large.

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  7:30:40 PM  Show Profile
oops I should add that this is day two.

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  7:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Looks good to me.. nice & bubbly..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age... Lucille Ball
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  06:43:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi, there, gals! I'm baking my first loaf of bread today - I know, I'm off schedule - but the dough seemed really too hard - not sticky at all. What consistency is your "mother?" I'm guessing that I can add more water to make it thinner, but how MUCH thinner?!?!?! I LOVE this!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Dear Alee:

It bubbles after three hours absolutely, but the next day the water has seperated and it smells more like wallpaper paste then mead. It is not pink or black. So I'm gonna keep on feeding her!

Thanks again. I WILL get this right.

Lisa

Imagining a place that's always safe and warm...Come in she said I'll give ya shelter from the storm. Dylan
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie!
So you have your 2 cups of mother in a bowl. First, stir in the other ingredients like salt or honey or raisins or garlic/olives depending on what kind of bread you're going to make, then dump in the amount of flour the recipe calls for and stir again with the spoon. You'll only be able to stir it so long. When you can't stir it any more because it's essentially a ball with a spoon stuck in it, it's ready to be put into your baking vessel. The consistency at this point would be a handful of dough that you could start to knead on a board (with the addition of some flour) but you aren't going to do that. It'll be a little sticky but not overly so. It won't be runny AT ALL like a batter. It's a nice ball of dough that has pulled back from the sides of the bowl. Does that help???? Go back to the pics I posted of my dough in a bowl (with a spoon). I wish I had time to produce a quick video. It's on my list of things to do! But everyone here is doing such a good job. I love how a community of women gets the job done!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi, MaryJane!!! That helps tremendously. I think I actually have it right! I'll be baking it this evening, so I'll report back on the results, but I have high hopes now! I WAS thinking that the "stickiness" would be more like batter, so this helps a lot. I went back and checked the photos - that was just what I needed. THANK YOU!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Lisa the liquid that is seperating out is called Hooch. It is the alcohol that is produced during the feeding process. This is not bad it just means your starter is hungry and has consumed all the food (flour) that you gave it. It means it is ready to eat again. It can be stirred back in to the starter. If there is a lot you can pour a little bit of it off. You can also minimize the hooch by adding a little bit of extra flour when you feed. Start with a tablespoon and see if that helps. there is no need to restart your starter. This alcohol is what adds to the sour flavor of your dough.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  08:11:45 AM  Show Profile
Today is bake day for me too.. I have my dough rising. I am going to try to bake it in a pottery pan, one loaf. The pan is Pampered chef deep dish pie pan. I lined it with parchment paper & hope to have a nice yummy loaf as it was last time.. Has anyone else baked theirs in a pan other than cast iron?

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  08:17:57 AM  Show Profile
Here are some recipes for biscuits.

Sourdough Buttermilk Biscuits
1/2 cup of buttermilk
1 cup of sourdough starter
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 cup of butter
Melted butter in a small bowl mix together starter and buttermilk. In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles cornmeal. Gradually add the starter mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon. Stir mixture until a soft dough is formed that cleans the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll to ½ inch thickness. Cut biscuits with round cutter. Place in lightly greased baking pan with sides touching. Brush tops with melted butter. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. Bake at 425ºF. for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes about 1 dozen biscuits.

Sourdough Whole Wheat Biscuits

2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of butter
2 cups of sourdough starter
Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles cornmeal. Work in the starter until well blended. Turn out onto floured surface and roll dough to thickness of about 1/2 inch. Cut into rounds with biscuit cutter; place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 425ºF. for about 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Makes about 1 dozen biscuits.

Basic Sourdough Biscuits

2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 cup of butter
1 cup of sourdough starter

Mix all the dry ingredients and cut in butter until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Moisten with sourdough starter. Turn on to a floured surface and roll 1/2 inch thick. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 425ºF. for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Makes about 1 dozen biscuits.

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Feb 03 2009 08:18:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  08:21:31 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl I baked a loaf on a pampered chef sheet pan last week. It turned out fine but did spread a little during the rise. I think next time I'm gonna try doing the rise in a bowl and then only let it rise on the pan for the last hour to minimize the spreading. Depending on the size of your loaf though the sides on that deep dish pan may prevent it from spreading too much.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  08:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie, I used two small 6 in cast iron skillets last week.. They worked fine, I think this bread will not rise as much and it will be a bigger flatter loaf, which is fine.. Experimenting with different pans.. I want to get a cast iron one like MJ has shown in the magazine..I keep looking at thriftstores...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  09:21:11 AM  Show Profile
I bought one made by lodge and it was only about 25.00. You can order from them online if you have no luck with the thrift store.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  09:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie...I may have to do that..I have a lodge dutch oven, but its a bit too big.. I do love it though...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

strawberyarn
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Christine
Strawberry Arizona
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  09:33:17 AM  Show Profile
Well yesterday was the BIG day my first loaf of bread from my starter. But as many I had minimal rise and a very dense loaf. This is where these posts have been so helpful. Without them I likely would have chucked the whole thing. I do feel mine is due to a cold house. And although mine has bubbles, not quite the amount that the pictures have shown. So I assume the cold house has slowed down the yeast production. From now on my "mother" will go to bed with me. Yes that is love and devoution. My bedroom has the the space heater and is the warmest room in the house so we will see if that helps me out. I look forward to next Monday and some rise and a lighter loaf fingers crossed till then.
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  10:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I have some good news and some bad news. First the good-I warmed up the honey and my round cast iron pot, I kneaded the dough just a bit. Then I formed it into a round loaf and sliced three marks in the top of it. I let it rise on the back of the stove and in the oven overnight. She rose up beautifully! I baked her @ 375* for 30min. It was the most wonderful looking loaf of bread! It was baked to perfection...but, now the bad news-hubby and I discovered we don't like the taste of it :( We loved the texture but its just to sour tasting for our liking. Although I was disappointed in the flavor, I was very happy to have made it from scratch and that it turned out so well. I would love to find a recipe for a white or wheat bread that has the same texture. Oh well! back to the kitchen to try something else :)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  11:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the wonderful Biscuit recipes Willow. I am going to try them. I am the 3rd day into week 2 of the starter. Although my first loaf was very dense and flat I am going to keep trying.

I bought a Lodge cast iron pot at Bass Pro Shops. I just checked on-line for stores and pretty much half of the country (the eastern half) has lots of stores if you actually want to go to a brick and mortar store to look at what they have. Unfortunately they are few and far between in the western half of the US. You can shop on-line with them. I bought the 2 quart and it was 29.99. It's a perfect little pot with a lid.

Melissa, Have you ever tried the Herman starter? It is wonderful and does not have that sour taste. It is sweeter. I used to make it constantly when my kids were young. They loved it. The bread was delish as were the pancakes, biscuits, coffee cakes and cinnamon rolls that I made with it. If you would like, I can post the recipe for it or send it to you in an e-mail. I have it in my recipe file on my PC so it would be easy for me to do.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  12:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi all tomorrow is going to be a big day for me. Pray that my second time around that the sour dough(bread) will come out. Love the taste but my first batch was very very heavy and hard to cut into.
All you farmgirls pictures look so...good I pray that mine will look like yours soon.
Thank you all for your help in away. Looking forward in the morning

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  3:58:05 PM  Show Profile
I have a ? about whole wheat flour. I have hard red and white and Kamut that I grind fresh. Is it ok to yse this. I can put my grinder on the finest gring to get a more finer flour. And which kind would be best to use? The red has a better flavor and would make the bread darker. Or the white for a lighter bread? The kamut has a great flavor too. I have just been wanting to ask this whenever I see whole wheat called for in a recipe.

And Sunday when it was time to add more flour and water I doubled mine in the week old starter and started another for a friend. So Wed. I will bake more bread. Do I make a doulble batch? Or can I just do one loaf? I am not the brightest light bulb in the pack when it comes to figuring things out. I always need a little help, But once I do anything one time, I'm good to go.

Thanks. And I am so enjoying this thread. Lots of good recipes and suggestions here. I want to try the biscuits, that's why the flour question.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page