Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  12:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Rutledge (#1846) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I purchased a garden floral napkin and matching quilted placemat and sewed them togeter to make a full apron. I had grograin ribbon I saved from packaging on a purchased item and used that for the ties. Since the napkin and place-mat had a stripe pattern on the reverse side I ended up with a cute reversible apron. I added buttons at the top of one side and a contrasting polka dot print at the waist. Very cute! I purchasesd them at 70% off the regular price so I made it for about $5.00.

It is fun because it is reversible and I used items I already had in my sewing stash. Very lovely."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  12:15:32 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level Knotty Farmgirls badge.

"I learned that knots are used in any length of material for the purpose of binding or forming stops. They can be helpful as in keeping your fishing boat close to shore while you build a campfire and cook up the catch of the day, or they can be not so useful as in when the wind is blowing hard on you while you're fishing out on the lake and then you can't brush your hair because of all the knots in it and you can't get pretty for campfire storytelling! A splice is different from a knot in that it is usually permanent and cannot be untied, unlike a knot which allows you to release your fishing boat again when you want to leave the shore where you are tied up. A hitch is just a kind of knot that helps you to attach your rope to an object such as a hitching post, a good place to leave your fishing boat.
I made my 7ft of rope with mercerized cotton which I purchased at a tag sale. I used 6, nine foot strands of white and, because I wanted my rope to be pretty, I added three strands of blue. I tied all of the strands at one end to the knob of my closet door. I divided the strands into three groups, two all-white groups and one blue. I grabbed the loose ends of the groups, one at a time, and twisted each set in a counterclockwise direction, then taped the end to my dresser. When they were all twisted individually, I took them all together and twisted the ends in a clockwise direction. The first time I made my rope it was not quite tight enough, so I untwisted it all and started over making each group much tighter and that gave my final rope a better feel. I spliced one end of my rope with a back splice and the other end with an eye splice which left a small loop. I am so proud of my rope!!
I also taught a group of ladies and girls how to tie square knots for the purpose of tying a quilt. We stretched the quilt onto a borrowed (homemade) quilt frame and then we worked together to place little knotted ties throughout the design to hold the layers all in place. The quilt was then presented to a newlywed couple in our church family. We had a great time doing this project together and can't wait for another reason to do it again!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  12:22:06 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Make It! badge.

"I earned the intermediate level of this badge by building a bench and organinzing my screws and nails. The bench was built from some pieces of wood that used to be a picnic table. I used the two seat pieces and cut them to about 4 feet long. I used the ends that I cut off for the “legs” along with a piece of 2x4 to support one of the seat pieces across the top. I screwed the other seat section to the back of my bench to add stability. It was quick, easy, and free! I have my native plants sitting on the bench where I will remember to water them until winter, at which time I will bring them on to my porch to await spring planting.
Since I already have a caddy to keep my tools handy, I fulfilled the second half of the badge requirement by going through all of my (and my husband's) bins of screws, nails, bolts, and etc. My kids helped me sort them out and divide them into saved peanut butter containers. I ended up with a dozen different “pails” of hardware. Six of the containers were organized in the fashion of MaryJane's father (see photo page 265 of the Ideabook). I screwed the lids to the underside of our workshop table and then screwed the container into its lid. The larger, heavy containers were “filed” on a small shelf with boxes of screws. Now I can easily find whatever I am looking for!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  12:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Make It! badge.

"Yippee....I finally built my milking stanchion! However, since I do not own any milk animals, I had to refine the project to fit a need, namely, bathing my kitty with flea soap. For any cat owner reading this who thinks it sounds like a great idea....it ISN'T! First of all, a cat's head is not much larger than its neck, making an escape a cinch. I ended up tethering my kitty to one of the stanchion posts with a rope belt and in this fashion it worked fine. We have him all bathed and clean and flea free. I will refrain from posting a photo!
I will, however, post a photo of the brick steps I built just outside my camper. Since I used my camper every day this summer, I wanted an attractive entrance. I built it out of used bricks that a friend had passed on to me last summer. I dug down about three inches and laid the bricks into the dirt. I then sifted sand in between each brick to firm them up and hold them in place. The riser area of the steps I made by stacking the bricks on top of each other in such a way that they came up under the edge of the upper step. They have held up nicely and I just love using them!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  12:55:30 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Wolfshohl (Livin the Dream #2089) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I kept a food journal for a month.
Read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle."
Grew my own sprouts.
Used new recipes to incorporate more fruits and veggies into our diet.
Eliminated hydrogenated oils and artificial sweeteners.

This began as a health challenge from our daughter for our immediate and extended family. It really opened our eyes to how much "fast food" we eat and taught us to read labels to be sure of what we're eating. We also became patrons of our local Farmer's Market and made new friends in the process."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  1:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Wolfshohl (Livin the Dream #2089) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"Bought organic bananas, broccoli, from the grocery store.
Bought organic tomatoes from the Farmer's Market.
Bought organic apples from our local orchard.

Loved the tomatoes and apples!! Couldn't tell much difference in the broccoli and bananas.

We had so much fun at the apple orchard. We even got to make our own apple cider during their "Cider Weekend."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  1:05:28 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Wolfshohl (Livin the Dream #2089) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I planted lots of native perennials this year. The bees favorite has been "Texas Sage." During the summer when it was in full bloom, the bees practically covered the shrub.

I watched the movie "The Secret Life of Bees". Absolutely wonderful!!

I watched the movie trailer "vanishing bees."

Being able to watch all of those bees going after the nectar from the Texas Sage was fascinating! It has encouraged me to plant more next spring."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  1:33:06 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Wolfshohl (Livin the Dream #2089) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"Compared raw honey to processed honey.
Found a place to buy local raw honey.
Read "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders."

We bought honey with the comb in it. Our girls love it that way!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  1:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Josie Ward (aquagirl #670) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"As stated in the requirements, I got rid of all my "un-green" cleaners and found recipes for cleaners that could replace them. I bought a thrifty, nifty and green journal (from "Earth Goods", an eco-store here in Salt Lake City; it's made from banana leaves). I have already filled it with recipes and ideas for going green throughout the house.
My mission statement for my home is very detailed, but part of it that fits here is, "I pledge to do all I can to make my home clean and green."

Well, not all the "green" cleaners work very well. Sometimes I have had to resort to Biz for boy's clothes that are super stained. For the most part, I continue to use green cleansers though, especially vinegar and water for cleaning windows, it's the best!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  2:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Josie Ward (aquagirl #670) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"So, in continuation of my mission to green up my home (and live more frugally and simply), I decided to learn how to make laundry detergent. It's that recipe using borax and washing soda.
I also finally learned how to make soap with lard and olive oil. I still need practice, but it didn't turn out too badly.
As part of my first merit badge for "going green," I learned to make all sorts of cleaners. One of my favorite is a "soft scrub" type cleaner using baking soda and peppermint essential oil, yum! It makes it a pleasure to clean. (No, I don't eat it, just smell it.)
I have shared my recipes on occasion with my friend Liesl who is also interested in greener, cheaper cleaning supplies.

The laundry detergent doesn't work well with really dirty clothes. (Like my 4 teenage boys' clothes.) I think it's because it is not a powder so it doesn't have that scouring ability. I'll keep trying! Maybe just adding washing soda will work."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  2:17:48 PM  Show Profile
N. Susan Harmon (susanharmon #1958) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I made several cute "bean bags," from an old jacket. I embroidered the most common reminders I had used over the years, and filled them with sand.

These are really cute!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  2:26:39 PM  Show Profile
Allison Ray (allisonray #1880) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been making grocery shopping bags from scrap fabrics and using them myself to grocery shop and my twins have been using them when they go to their grandmothers and go to the book store.

I have continue to research ways to clean our home without chemicals. My favorite lately is a recipe to clean our dog's run. Instead of using chemicals that can leach into the grass, we use a combination of distilled water and peppermint extract.

Works and smells great. I have also planted the peremiter of the run with mint plants which are working really well too.

The photo is of my latest shopping bag I made for my mom to use at the Houston Quilt Festival tomorrow."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  2:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Allison Ray (allisonray #1880) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I wanted to make some money working from home. Our three children are all in school. My husband builds web pages so I asked him to teach me how (about a year ago). After some practice and LOTS, Lots, and more research I decided to open my own website. I researched the costs to open the site along with some part time writers, was able to get a small loan with my business plan and launched the site. It is (www.gardeningproducts.net).

So far so good. The website has been live for 1 month and made its first profit/sale today.
I am sticking to my business plan word for word and once the website reaches its first milestone, the writers start to help me. Very excited- wish me luck!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  10:42:14 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"Photography has been a hobby of mine for many years. My father-in-law was hooked on it and helped me learn some good photography skills. My favorite camera is my Olympus OM1 with a Tamron 28-200 wide angle zoom lens. However that camera is not working for some reason right now. So I'm using an Olympus C-740 Ultra Zoom digital that belonged to my father-in-law.

I love to do candids, scenery, and flowers. I chose to study more about the techniques and skills of TONY HOWELL of England. He is a self-taught, unpretentious photographer who has, in my opinion, the MOST STUNNING photos of flowers! They just intrigue me! I've tried to learn more from him about use of filters, ISO speeds, best natural lighting etc. and to take some "stunning" flower photos.

I've taken HUNDREDS of flower pictures, many of them with my regular 35mm Olympus. I've made them into cards and sold hundreds of them.

The link below is to an album of some of my flower pictures, but these are only some of the digitals. This is being shared in the Farmgirls Southwest Henhouse as well.

Because of the influence of my father-in-law I studied photography magazines he received for years. I've studied every book I can get my hands on. Langford's "Basic Photography" is and will be a good one and a favorite one.

The photo below you probably recognize as it's featured in the November "Cluck." And I thank you for that honor!!

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/cjapianist/My%20Flowers/"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  10:57:32 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"We already keep chickens for eggs, and we grow a small veggie garden. Over the summer we decided to begin choosing more organic items from the grocery store each week.

Over the course of a two month period we added Mary Jane's Budget Mix, organic butter, popcorn, tortilla chips, peanut butter, romaine lettuce, pasta, pasta sauce, rice, oats, and organic dried fruits and nuts to our diet as well as some boxed cereals. We just keep adding more organic items all the time and we are on the look out for local grass fed beef and pork. It feels great to add more healthy (chemical free), items to our pantry. We have a ways to go but you have to start somewhere and I am finding what little more it costs far out weighs my peace of mind for bringing more healthy food into our home for the whole family. The photo I selected shows a mixture of organic and non organic foods on our shelf while we were on vacation. We had fun baking with our budget mix on that trip too!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  11:09:51 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level Knotty Farmgirls badge.

"I gotta rope!
I learned how to make pretty sturdy rope from plastic bags! It was easy and serves several purposes, provides me with some sturdy rope that can be added to, and recycles and re-purposes plastic bags.

I studied further on knots and such as well.
KNOT = cordage entanglement, either deliberate or accidental that is not a "bend" or "hitch."
HITCH = it attaches rope or cord to a fixed ring/eye, post, rail, spar, or another rope or loop.
SPLICE - forming semi-permanent joint between 2 ropes or 2 parts of the same robe by partially untwisting and interweaving the strands.
All three of these "categories" have different ones.
I also studied more about knots using in climbing and rappelling; such as Alpine butterfly loop, frost knot, tape knot and overhand shortening. These are also called "Life Support knots."

My rope is 7 feet long from end knot to end knot, and is made from 19 plastic grocery bags, and I can add more to either end. It is quite strong and I believe I will carry it in my car, you never know when it could come in handy out there on the road. No tools were required.
I do know how to splice rope, as I have had to do it on several occasions in our backpacking, camping and hunting activities.
I have helped teach my daughter some knot tying, and my hubby (and brother-in-law), were involved in my "I Gotta Rope" project, hubby was impressed! I have also discussed doing this project with other Farmgirls.
I even did some jump-roping with it when I was done, works for that too!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  11:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I just returned from a weekend away with my beach sisters. We stayed in a solar powered cottage by the sea with no electronics. Even brought along our own at home foot bath fixin's!

I brought along some relaxing foot bath fixins'. We soaked our feet by candle light in tubs of hot water with sea salt and lavender petals, drank Bare Foot White wine and had lots of laughs too! As we laughed and soaked we planned next years sea~weet escape!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  11:34:47 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read a local magazine called Edible South Shore (www.ediblesouthshore.org) for information about sustainable local farming methods/laws and finding farms for grass-fed beef close to home. The website you offered in "What's your Beef," is also a tremendous resource for gathering more information on what really goes into much of the beef that Americans eat.

I've located three local grass-fed beef farms in my state to make appointments with for a farm visit. From there I'll decide where and from whom we will purchase grass-fed beef. I will share anything I learn from those visits with our friends, family, my farm girl chapter, and the chatroom! I had no idea about candy and bubble gum being used as fillers for beef, truly appalling, and that Horizons feeds their cattle organic hay, but they exist in such unsanitary conditions. This is also disheartening.
Onward and upward to healthier living!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  11:48:04 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Schoolmarm Make It Easy badge.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  3:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Know Your Food badge.

"For this badge I began by reading “In Defense of Food” by Michael Pollan. I shared it with my husband by borrowing the book on tape and listening to it with him. I then encouraged others to read it. I then put together a report on the harmful effects of GMO foods and the use of synthetic ingredients in our food systems. This will be shared with the ladies in my chapter. I'll share it with you on my website, as well, (www.apronsoftheadirondacks.blogspot.com)! I also buy at least 50% organically grown foods including meats and veggies. I buy locally made cheese, bread, and other goodies. I eat local eggs. I've conversed with local artisans about their products, where they get their ingredients, and what they hope to do better in the future as organic ingredients become more widely available. I've led more than one discussion on the importance of buying local organic foods. I am constantly gathering and sharing information. I have changed my diet and changed my life and have led others in their efforts to do the same."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  3:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I am unable to raise honey for myself due to an allergy to stings, but I have helped in the harvesting process. I helped a friend remove honey from the combs which meant “shaving” the waxy coating off the outside and then placing each tray into a centrifuge where the honey was spun out of the comb and onto the sides of the machine. The honey then ran down the sides into a collection tray at the bottom and was drained off through a spigot into jars.
Despite my inability to raise honey myself, I have read all about the process and have helped a couple of friends find information and suppliers to get started. I support a few local beekeepers by buying my honey from them. I feel that we are healthier when we replace refined sugar with local honey, and our foods taste more natural.

In the photo is a jar of honey from a friend who has just gotten started, it tastes awesome!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  4:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"I researched the history of buttons and pulled 10 buttons from my Grandmother's button collection that met the requirements.

I found it very interesting researching the history of the button. I thought it was crazy that button mania reached such heights in the 1300's that the Church took a stand, calling the new button fascination sinful and dubbing the new style of womens fashion the "devil's snare" due to all the buttons down the front or back. And I loved going through my Grandmother's button jar. I loved hearing her tell me about what items of clothing each button came from. Such history! I hope I can remember those types of things when I'm in my 90s!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  4:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Rutledge (#1846) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"My brother and sister-in-law came for a visit this weekend and we found out that he is dealing with some health issues. I made "green smoothies" to show him how he can get his body to be more alkaline and less acidic. Since I grow a garden we put in rainbow chard, spinach, lemon, pear and grapes in a Vit-A-Mix for a good drink for his stomach. I also talked to him about good old organic apple cider vinegar in a glass of water to help his ailment.

Surprisingly he enjoyed the green smoothie and was thankful for the tip on the cider vinegar. He even told me he didn't feel sick after drinking my concoction like he did after having some with another family member, who probably put about a 1/4 of a cup of vinegar in his water!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  4:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Rutledge (#1846) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"My mother came for a visit from Canada and taught me how to do the basics of knitting. I put the craft aside for sometime until my daughter moved away to Georgia leaving me a scarf she had started with pretty green eyelash yarn. She had about three inches done and I wanted to finish it for her.

I actually did it! It was beautiful yarn and I kept the right amount of stitches on. I sent it to her for Christmas in her care package."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  4:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Rutledge (#1846) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a small quilt for a teddy bear I had given to my husband when he was going in for surgery, along with a larger one for him for when he was home. I purchased flannel fabric with animal prints. Bears, moose, etc. and sewed strips together. I sewed the stripes onto the sides of a light colored block and put batting and a backing fabric. I hand quilted it.

Very cute and made my husband smile!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page