Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  4:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Rutledge (#1846) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I drew a diagram of what I wanted the quilt to look like and then figured measurements and colors. I purchased all the fabric, batting and backing. This was a labor of love for my husband as he was going in for some surgery.

After a week of sewing, phew! I was able to wrap this blanket on my husband when he needed a little extra warmth and love after surgery."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  3:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Rutledge (#1846) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"After moving out into the country from living in the city of Medford, Oregon, my husband and I built a large fenced garden 20x40 feet. This being our second summer here we have quite the compost pile going on the outside of our garden area as well as a large tumbler composter. We have decided to add on to our fenced garden after the winter and that pile of compost is in the right spot to be tilled in when spring comes.

The debris from the garden is composting well and we will till in the spring and extend our garden to include fruit trees."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  3:26:52 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Rutledge (#1846) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"My kitchen cabinets in my city home were a mess so after moving out to the country I made sure I went through my storage containers matching bottoms and lids making my life a bit easier. The list I made for kitchen supplies I wanted were a Vita-Mix and a food proccesor along with smaller items for measuring meat and liquid temperatures. I watched adds and got my food processor on sale and my Vita-Mix from a Costco special. So happy to have good tools in the kitchen. I told my husband that, like he needs the proper tools to build our home, I really would appreciate proper tools for quick food processing and he agreed. A family with 6 children in our rural area got burned out of their home just weeks before Christmas so I went through my cubboards again and gave them my doubles of kitchen supplies.

I feels so good to keep things in their place. A place for everything and everything in its place is my new motto! The family was extremely happy to receive so many items that they had lost."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  3:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Rutledge (#1846) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"We went to our local dump and brought back the metal frame to a crib. We also had t-posts and some old chicken wire and made trellis for our beans, cucumbers, snap peas and a few flowers that needed supporting.

The chicken wire support worked out very well and the crib frame added a bit of fun to the garden."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  3:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Rutledge (#1846) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"We planted our first garden ever in 2009 and again this year planted another. I was very surprised how planting mint and marigolds helped keep bugs from consuming the produce. I also purchased an owl that I moved around the garden to keep the larger animals guessing and OUT!

It worked very well and I loved having some color from flowers in my garden. The puppies liked the owl."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  10:55:21 AM  Show Profile
Linda Mericle (bakermom, #2064) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a small notebook handy and each morning wrote something I could be grateful for.

I had set aside a small metal bound notebook for a special reason and it had been waiting to be used for over a year. As soon as I started on this badge, I know just what notebook to use. It starts with gratitude for my husband and spreads to all aspects of my life from children to plumbing to God. I am glad for the opportunity to stretch myself and have to really think, especially some days, for something else to be grateful for."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  11:01:36 AM  Show Profile
Kristen Silvers (crazy*dazey, #1645) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I purchased 30 chicks this past May. I fed them Dumor chick feed which is non-medicated until they were old enough to change feed. I then fed them Purina Flock Raiser poultry feed. I add 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar to each gallon of water for the chickens and I have been doing this since they were 4 weeks old.

Around 12 weeks of age, I began letting my flock roam outside of their chicken run. They foraged for a significant amount of their diet as their consumption of commercial feed decreased tremendously.

At 18 weeks I had 16 cockerels butchered by a state certified poultry butcher.

I now have 12 hens and 2 roosters. I currently feed them Purina Layena poultry feed and offer supplemental oyster shell and crushed granite free choice. I also give them treats daily such as apples and shelled pumpkin or sunflower seeds.

My flock is let outside at dawn to forage and do whatever they please until dusk when I secure them in their hen house. I have 2 acres with plenty of pine trees that provide shelter or a safe haven from predators for my flock during the day.

Now that the temperature is cold at night I have added a brooder lamp with a red bulb to provide heat and to make sure my hens get at least 15 hours of light per day for egg laying, I have another brooder lamp with a white bulb that turns on each morning at 3 A.M. by way of a digital timer.

My husband built 9 very nice wood nesting boxes for the hens which are in use daily.

Unfortunately, I am unable to find organic poultry feed at an affordable price in my area. My flock continues to forage for a significant amount of their diet as it takes 4-6 weeks to go through a 50 pound bag of commercial feed.

This venture has turned out fabulous for me! I love my chickens. They are healthy and seem very happy.

I collect on average 9-10 eggs daily, which I share with family & friends. My grandma told me "there's no better food than the food you raise yourself," and she is right. The eggs are superior to any eggs I've ever bought at the grocery store and the chickens I had butchered are most divine.

My flock is very entertaining & I really enjoy their antics. I plan to continue raising chickens for a long time!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  11:13:00 AM  Show Profile
Tammy Caltagirone (TammyCaltagirone, #2167) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"Every day since becoming a Farmgirl I have kept a gratitude journal. Utilizing an old spiral notebook of my daughter's, I have begun each day with a reflection of the last and jotted it into my "journal."

Since my family has a dinner tradition of retelling what the best part of their day was, the gratitude journal was a natural next step. Even my six year old son began his own small gratitude journal."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile
Tammy Caltagirone (TammyCaltagirone, #2167) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"Following the November elections I wrote a letter to the Illinois Attorney General, Lisa Madigan to congratulate her on her re-election and to thank her for her efforts to protect the citizens of Illinois and for running a "clean," commercial campaign.

I haven't received a response from Ms. Madigan's office to date, but my daughters have become more in tune with the issues in Illinois and their impact on our families."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  11:24:58 AM  Show Profile
Angela Neikirk (#2043) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"We got rid of all our cleaners that were not green, user friendly, kid friendly, or septic friendly. We use Melaleuca cider oil spray and Thieves cleaners for our laundry detergent, bathroom cleaner, and kitchen cleaner, we even use them with our animals.

We feel very good about what we are doing, it is safe for our animals, our kids, and ourselves."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  11:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Angela Neikirk (#2043) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I made my own soap with lye, olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, goat milk, and honey. We do not use soap from a store any more.

Wow, it is so nice we even put some oat meal in it. I'd like to make some egg shaped soap next time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  3:26:59 PM  Show Profile
Joanna Fedewa (tansyshy, #907) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"The week of September 19- 25 was insanely boring for me as I was out of work due to the fact that the restaurant I work at was switching to a different restaurant.
So having nothing to do, I decided to spend the time teaching myself how to crochet.

It took me almost a month an a half to figure out how to crochet, but I did it! The first little project I made was Jewelry Roll.

I think the Jewelry Roll turned out pretty well, all things considered. It could have been a bit straighter, but I'm pleased with the outcome.

Now, I want to learn how to crochet socks and blankets. That'll be on my list of projects to make next time!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  3:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a button bracelet.

After several tries with a stretch band breaking I finally got small elastic to work instead. I placed several different sizes of wooden buttons with a couple of small beads in between. It turned out cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  4:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"For a weekend in October I didn't use my computer, cell phone, phone, tv, etc.

I spent the extra time I gained hiking outdoors, sewing my daughter's Halloween costume, and knitting."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  4:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"I designed a ruffly apron and gave one to my daughter. I'm not much of a lipstick person but I did where my lip balm when I wore it. :-)

I don't feel very comfortable wearing a frilly apron. I'm more of a "simple" style person but my daughter loved the one I made for her. I've included a picture of the one I made for her."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  4:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Stimmel (littleredd, #2106) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I love to make useful things from knitting. Beautiful things are nice too but for a washcloth? Well....let's just say simple is best in my opinion. So after knitting a washcloth it dawned on me that crocheting one would be much faster and the end product just as good. So one night at my knitting circle I asked my friend who has been crocheting for years to show me. She showed me 3-4 different stitches and I took off! I was crocheting so much my thumb got sore! My brother was moving in to a brand new house after an emotional divorce and now...he has plenty of dishcloths to start him off.

My favorite is the fan stitch. It's so fun to see each little fan form and I figured out on my own that they are a great way to go around corners giving your wash cloths a nice finished look. Also, it's so fast I decided to tuck my hand made soap in to a washcloth and crochet the ends and sides together to make a nice soap 'pocket' for Christmas gifts this year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  4:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Stimmel (littleredd, #2106) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I've actually been knitting for years. I feel I've earned the beginner badge because I have made many projects, my first ones were hats. I made them to quit smoking and everyone got a hat for Christmas that year whether they wanted one or not! I also have taught high schoolers and others how to knit. I started a knitting circle here in town 3 years ago because I wanted to meet people. We are now 50 strong and meet weekly for loads of fun and stitching.

I loved starting with hats, they are so easy on circular needles. It took some work but with help from the LYS, I think my first hats turned out great. It took about 10 hours to do the first one ever. Unfortunately, the picture isn't of that particular one since it was washed and shrunk to the size of a 3 yr. old's head! BUT the picture is one I made more recently using the exact same pattern."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:15:41 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Stimmel (littleredd, #2106) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I learned to knit socks last year and they are my new fav thing to take with me everywhere. There is nothing like a hand knit pair of wool socks. Even in warmer weather they are so comfortable! These were the first pair I made for Afghans, the baby socks were a good place to start. I've gone on to knit 3-4 more pairs of regular sized socks, one out of alpaca fiber I spun myself!

I loved the colors, loved the project, I'm working on another pair of socks for myself this time, so they're much bigger than the one in the picture!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Stimmel (littleredd, #2106) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Knitting badge.

"I am not a big fan of knitting scarves. They are long and can be quite boring. But, I found a great pattern for a simple cable and having never tried cables I decided to give it a shot. What fun! I like the pattern so well, I made the hat to match! Also, over the last 6-7 years, I have taught a couple friends, a young girl at a state home for kids and my little niece how to knit. She also knows how to spin wool! She's a very cool niece.

The hat and scarf turned out gorgeous and to this day, I wear them often in the winter. The scarf picture wasn't so great and I can only post one picture, the hat shows the cabling better. I'm littleredd on Ravelry.com too, all my knitted things are on there!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Stimmel (littleredd, #2106) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"Last year I became fascinated with the dyeing of wool using natural materials. I've now taught classes on dyeing and spinning, weaving and knitting and enjoyed every minute of it. For this project, I dyed the wool using goldenrod, elderberries and sumac. I then spun the wool in to yarn and wove it on my loom in to potholder for my boyfriend who will soon be my husband. He appreciates that kind of handiwork and I knew I had a keeper! It was a labor of love and loads of fun.

The wool was lumpy and terrible but spun up, it was soooo cool. It had texture to it and the potholders were the perfect thing to show off the different colors."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  4:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Angela Neikirk (#2043) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"I put up a clothesline for drying in my green house.

It was great especially for all the jeans. The green house gets to 130 in the summer and isn't good for the plants at all.

Our house is organized around green - we do not use paper towels, plates, or napkins at all. We use rags to clean, real plates and napkins. We are careful with our water and watering plants sink water will be plumbed to the garden in the spring. We compost all our non meat or the dogs get left overs

All my girl friends now use Melaleuca & Thieves cleaners I gave them as gifts and barter with them for meat and cow milk. I have got them in to composting and rethinking their paper waste.

I lend out my homesteading books to friends family and people at church (I don't think I could part with them but I don't mind sharing)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  12:54:59 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I earned this level of the Backyard Farmer badge by raising heritage hens on my little half acre farm in the lovely hills of Washington County New York. I raised New Hampshire reds, barred rocks, Rhode Island reds, Black Australorpes, and Buff Orpingtons. My local 4H introduced us to other historical breeds and encouraged us to do a living history program which included our animals. As a part of this program we put on a public “show,” cooking over a fire in dutch ovens while dressed in prairie costume and answering questions about our hens. Other families joined us so there were heritage bunnies and sheep present, too. We also were given a demonstration about goat care and milking. I learned to milk our Jersey cow as a teenager, but the goat demonstration was still interesting, and my kids learned something I haven't been able to do with them at home yet."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  1:04:46 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"This level of Backyard Farmer was the most fun, as I got to meet so many farmers in my area. I met three beef farmers and have become good friends with all of them. I am able to buy ALL of my meat from these families, including chicken and pork. I have also met farmers who offer lamb and goose and duck. I have raised my own chickens for meat and enjoyed the fruits of those labors for two years. I've raised my own eggs, as well. I learned to make cheese from my dairy farmer neighbor who recently began a farmstead cheese business. I have helped her make many different types of cheese, and was for years her affineur—meaning that I cared for her aging cheeses; these included cheddar, caerphilly (my personal favorite), grace (our signature cheese and the ones in the photo), and camembert (a white, mold covered soft cheese). I also helped make fresh cheddar curds and I learned to stretch mozzarella by hand. I know how to make butter from fresh cream and I do this with my kids every Thanksgiving by placing cold, local cream in a jar and shaking it for about twenty minutes! We bought a Donvier hand-crank ice cream maker (the brand recommended by MaryJane) and we use local milk and cream to make frozen desserts. We also found a farmstead ice cream maker for days when we don't want to crank out our own.
I don't enter my animals at the fair, but I did take photos and turned them into greeting cards. I've given some of these cards as gifts and I use them myself. I love to see my own critters on the front of a card!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  1:13:08 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Horse Dreams badge.

"I owned a couple of horses and a pony in my teenage years, so I am well acquainted with the care of a horse. I did chores such as filling the water trough, cleaning the stable, cleaning the tack, and grooming the horses. My brothers didn't ride, so most of my pilgrimages were solo. Since I lived in a rather remote area, I was free to roam for miles. One of my horses was a retired racehorse. She pulled sulkies so I could never get her to gallop except for once—a tremendous thrill for me! The other was an older quarter horse, slow and steady when heading out but fast and furious as soon as we turned for home!

Since then I have spent many hours with horses owned by others, helping with their care, listening to 4H presentations, visiting horses at the fair, and pulling over on the side of the road just to watch them. I've arranged rides for my kids (photo below) and even spent a season doing 4H horse bowl activities. Someday we would like to own one, but we'll need a couple more acres before that can happen.

I also found several rescue operations, including one here in my home town! Miss Shannon of Double L Stable Equine Rescue & Sanctuary operates a modest ranch on a country lane where she also raises children, chickens, and a dog. Her rescue horses, some of them permanent residents of the Stable, come from all over the state and parts of Vermont. She said that her work is difficult in New York because we have no laws governing the care of large animals, making it hard to obtain an order for the rescue of an animal. Because of this, many of her animals have been voluntarily released by the owners. When I spoke with her she was quite frustrated at being unable to remove some horses from local owners who are not caring for their animals; many people are calling her with complaints but there is little she can do in these cases.

Most of the funding for the horses comes from local support as well as fund raisers such as tag sales. She recieves food donations as well as cash and sponsorships. Her adoption fees run from $100-700. She also works with the local government, offering work options for community service sentences. This is how many of the chores are done on the farm! If you would like to send a donation, make it out to Double L Stable Equine Rescue, 9 Tilford Rd., Argyle, NY, 12809. Check out her website at www.doublelstableequinerescue.petfinder.org

I am currently on a waiting list for volunteer service. I hope to help with a fund raiser or, even better, muck some stalls and groom a horse or two!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  1:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I earned the intermediate level of this badge by spending a lovely evening with my farmgirl friend, Claudia, at her rustic, off-grid home in the “boonies” of the Adirondacks. We toured her property and saw the horses, rabbits, chickens, and mules. We also visited Wolf Pond at the end of her road. And using a cell phone was not an option because there is no cell service in that portion of the Adirondacks. I slept on her porch in a camp style bunk bed with a view of the lovely Adirondacks before me. It was wonderful!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page