Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  11:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I'm really a beginner at this craft. I decided to make teeny tiny quilts for a teeny tiny clothes line that I will eventually use as garland for my Christmas tree.

I think they are adorable."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I bought Simplicity pattern #4987 and made the half apron.

I just love it and will be proud to wear it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"My husband and I don't watch TV or watch DVD's. We play a board game called "New Mexico Board Game" created by a friend of ours. Sometimes I knit or crochet and he reads a book. At other times we just talk.

It always turns out fun."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:13:34 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge.

"I recycle wool garments from GoodWill and various thrift stores. I cut them up and sew strips together and wind them into balls. Then I braid them into rugs.

I just love the look of old fashioned braided rugs."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been saving buttons for years. Some of them are very old and from my grandmother's sewing box.

I love collecting buttons and other items from long ago."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:23:55 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"We have been using green shopping bags since we got married on 2/14/2008. We never leave home without them.

We always use our bags and get a nickel back for each one each time. Not bad."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"Ways my husband and I are turning our home green:
1. Wash with cold water.
2. Use filtered water for drinking instead of buying plastic bottles.
3. Dust hardwood floors instead of vacuum to save electricity.
4. Use pump hair spray instead of aerosol.
5. Use LED light bulbs.
6. Take showers instead of baths to save water.
7. Plant live indoor plants.

We feel much better trying to save our planet and decorate our home green."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Howdy.. I organized my sewing kit today making sure it included all of the following: threads of many colors, buttons, scissors of different sizes, needles, straight pins, quilting pins, safety pins in many size. Also includes, chalk markers, sock darner, seam ripper, tape measure and many other goodies such as a wheel cutter and mats.

Works fine for me. I keep all my smaller sewing supplies in a large handled container that clips locked. It's easy to carry in case I am doing projects on a diffrent floor in the house."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:42:09 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Seam sewing is particularly fun for me. I like the speed of doing it on the machine, (not that I do it well) LOL. However there is something comforting in hand sewing while watching a little TV. Here are what I consider the most common seams. The flat seam, straight seam, the pinking seam (same as straight seam only you trim the material with pinking shears to keep most fabrics from fraying). French seam, which leaves a tidy appearance on both sides. And the sturdiest of all seams the Felled seam which is the type of seam you see on jeans and sturdy clothing or items.

It's good to know a viarity of seams. The right seam depending on what you're sewing can make the project much easier and efficient. I was first taught some of these seams in the fourth grade and can remember it like it was yesterday. A red and white gingham apron with Ragedy Ann and Andy buttons. I laugh every time I think of it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"We turned off all electronics for a weekend and cooked outside.

There were some slips in the rules for no electronics. A radio was brought outside etc. I crocheted, read books, wrote, gardened, and relaxed. The kids played Frisbee, read books, crafted, played with their dogs, wrote, and some did a bit of drawing. We grilled out too. The kids also played board games at night in place of TV.

Since we have done this, I have found the kids going for nights without TV. I see them reading and crafting and writing more often. One even got out a kite to fly. We have decided as a family to do this often."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:57:03 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I was looking for a way to give back and was looking into several different volunteer programs. I am an absolute book nut and I love to read, so I decided on Literacy of America. I went for training and received my certificate. And I worked with adults teaching them how to read. I could not believe it when I learned how many people who were born and raised in this country could not even read a simple book. I think that that is so sad and so wrong.

I loved doing this! I got a lot of negative feed back though! Such as, 'why are you doing this, you don't get paid for it'. Or, 'what a waste of time that is, who really wants to help someone else and get nothing back?' Oh, yes. I heard some horrible things. But I am proud of what I did and I hope some day to get back into it and do it again."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  1:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been "collecting" shopping bags for years. I was green before green was in. I have a large bag filled with bags in my car and use them when I shop. I have so many that I lend them to my mother when we shop together.

I use my bags for shopping, I sometimes have to tell the clerks twice I have my own bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  1:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"The water in south Texas is so hard the old timers say we chew it. I found the best thing for cleaning the hard water spots on everything is vinegar! You have to use elbow grease but the fauctes sparkle. Why pay a lot of money for products that don't work? In the laundry old fashioned lye soap works great on stains. I buy it from a very old lady who sells it (and dill pickled orka) for her church.

I help an elderly lady give money to her church and I can clean my clothes with something that works."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  1:25:00 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I am teaching a dear friend how to sew and just last week she came to my house with the prettiest canvas bag. It was stamped with fresh herbs. She asked me if we could make canvas bags and stamp them. I said "why not," I had made cloth bags before you could buy them everywhere. We washed the cloth to preshrink it and made up 6 bags. They turned out so cute. We gave one to another friend and now she wants to make them too!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  1:29:35 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"My husband works at night and I try to be very quiet during the day so he can sleep. Every time I go into the bedroom though the door sqeaks. The bathroom door also sqeaks this will sometimes wake him up. I have asked him several times to oil the door but it was never done. Yesterday I got out the oil and started downstairs and oiled every door in the house! I then went into the shed and wiped off the shovels, rakes, axe and small gardening tools.

I was hot, greasy and dirty but we have no more squeaks!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  1:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I taught the cooking merit badge to the Boy Scouts. One of the requirements to earn rank is to know poisonous plants and edible plants. We go on a hike and they have to name 10 plants. We go one farther and show them plants they can eat. Wild blackberries, grapes, prickly pear cactus, the pads and fruit, wild onions, pecans, black walnuts, mesquite beans, and wild watercress just to name a few.

I make jelly with the blackberries, wild plums, wild figs, grapes and cactus pears. We eat the pecans and black walnuts all winter in cakes, pies and cookies."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  1:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I had to laugh when I read the requirements for this merit badge. I have been knitting since I was 10 (I'm now 63) and have never knitted a dishcloth before. I've made sweaters, shawls, etc. but never a dishcloth.

I think it turned out great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"We own a piece of land that has been in my husband's family for over 150 years. The best time to visit it is in the winter (no snakes or bugs).

We pick up pecans and walnuts to shell and give as Christmas gifts."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"We do this requirement for the cooking merit badge in Boy Scouts. The boys have to do menus and shop for three days at home two at camp and one on the trail. I show them how to buy trail foods off the shelf and the store. I can not skip meals as I have diabetes. But I help with food drives at church, the local school and with the good will, and turn in with the scouts twice a year as well as the postal food drive.

Our troop collected 300 pounds of food this year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:18:00 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Pay It Forward badge.

"When my husband turned 50 the boys in his scout troop wanted to give him a party with gifts. I said the party was fine but instead of gifts we needed to do something good in his name. So the boys collected canned foods. One can for each of the years Vince hasbeen on the earth. We ended up with over 100 cans!

The food bank was thrilled."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:23:59 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"My family has been organic for over 30 years. We were organic before it was the in thing. I have introduced organic foods to a young couple I know through Scouting. They have a 6 month old baby and with all the stuff on the news about pesticides and autism they are sold on organic.

Baby Noah is an organic baby, his mom even makes her own baby foods."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:28:37 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"As I said in the beginner level my family has been organic for years. My brother has been turned to the light side and has gone so far as to take herbal products instead of drugs when he has a head ache. I also helped my friend Mary discover how good organic foods are. Her husband is serving our country over seas and she spends a lot of time at our house.

Eating good food has helped her lose 10 pounds so far!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge.

"As I said in the beginner level my family has been organic for years. I use a local farmer for some of my produce, our yard is not big enough to grow corn. He is slowly converting his fields to organic and I buy only organic produce from him. I have sent dozens of families to him to get their veggies.

All my canning students go there."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:36:54 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have grown herbs for years. Every place the navy sent our family we had a veggie and herb garden. I keep a clay pot on the kitchen counter and the “leftover” herbs go into it. They dry and I add them to stews, soups, sauces, etc. sometimes the pot gets a little full and I put the herb mix into recycled spice jars, those little plastic jars that are so handy for odds and ends. This year I gave a herb planter with little herbs growing happily to my friend for a Mother's Day gift. I have started one for myself to take to camp so I can teach the scouts how to cook with fresh herbs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have been canning for over 30 years and teach canning classes to children as young as 10. I put up not only apple pie filling but cherry pie filling last year. I have taken best in show at the Medina County Fair for the past two years. I give jellies, and pickles to the local churches for gift baskets for church festivals and also for death gifts when someone in the community passes."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page