Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I dry the wild figs and make fig leathers which are a big hit. Last year I made dried fig cakes which are like eating a fig newton with out the cookie. I have “putting up” parties every year and we have too much fun. I give jars of jellies and pickles to three churches for their festivals."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Thank goodness for spring cleaning. I have been very ill for the past two years and this winter I started to get back to myself. In March I opened the windows and let in the cool spring air. Then I started! The kitchen was a mess because I had not felt like keeping it in working order. One cupboard at a time, every thing was pulled out and washed, inspected and put away or recycled.

My cupboards are so nice and tidy!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:55:34 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"My kitchen needs list is also my gift to mom list. It is a good idea list for friends and family who don't know what to give me for birthdays and holidays. The stuff I did not recycle is going to camp with me for the kitchen."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:59:19 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I have a very handy knife sharpener that I use to keep my knives very sharp. I even take it to camp and the scouts use it as needed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"In south Texas the bugs are amazing! In the garden we use cedar posts to out smart the termites. Making a teepee for the pole beans is a neat trick add a little twine at the top and the beans will grow up to the top!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"Helping the boy scouts with their emergency preparedness merit badge has made our family aware of what it takes to be prepared for any event. In 2002 our town was evacuated when the river that is less than a mile away was over its banks and the water was cresting to the top of the Medina Dam about 9 miles away. We left everything and thank-goodness for our kit under the stairs! When we came back I helped with the Salvation Army, I washed dishes for the ladies who came from Galveston to cook for those in town who lost everything to the water and mud."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:12:16 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level 'Out There' Women badge.

"Because I am a diabetic I have to be careful with the foods I eat, most trail mixes are to full of fats and sugars that I can not eat them. I make my own using whole grain cereals and dried fruits I dry myself (no sulfur). It tastes better and it is better for everyone who eats it. My husband and I do pioneer dutch oven cooking at several forts around the area. This year at Ft. Clark Springs in Bracketville we cooked for 120 of the volunteers. We served fried fish, pot roast with browned potatoes, carrots, onions, and parsnips, home canned green beans, spring salad with cooked dressing, 4 kinds of homemade pickles, hot rolls with butter we made that day, and apple pies with sweetened whipped cream."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level 'Out There' Women badge.

"When we camp out at the forts we sleep in a ten man wall tent like the one used on Mary Jane's Farm. Our story is we are waiting for our house to be built. In side we have a bed, chairs and a table along with our clothes trunk. Most of the time the weather is nice but we have had some bad storms and the tent has stayed up!
Fishing is something my family loves to do. Nothing tastes as good as a fish caught and then cooked outside on an open fire."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"My youngest son is in Colorado at boy scout National Camp school this week and then he will be off to Red Feather Lakes CO to work at the camp there. Before he left I made him a small sewing kit to use on the trail in case anything needed repair. We put it into a small mesh bag so it would be easy to find."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:30:59 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"When we were stationed in VA with the Navy I worked at a plantation that was built in 1730. As part of our training we had to sew our costume by hand (no Singers in 1730). I still like to do hand sewing and sewed a French seam on one of the aprons I sewed for camp."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I make casserole covers for shower gifts and if I have enough fabric I'll make pot holders to match. The brides-to-be love the handmade gifts as they are truly one of a kind. I have also given handmade tea towels embroidered with the brides name so she can put the good towels out when her mother-in-law comes.

I gave a tea shower for the daughter of my dear friend Mary and Clara (the daughter) loves her "set." I used a grape print as her kitchen has a Tuscan theme."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:39:29 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I live in my aprons! My aunt sent me an e-mail called the histroy of the apron. She was going to present a fashion show and needed some of the aprons I had. I sent her my colonial apron, my pioneer apron and three aprons my grandmothers made and wore. The fashion show was a hit, as a thank you she made me a strawberry apron (I love strawberries). I am such a messy cook I have to wear an apron or I would have to change after I cook."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I have been sewing aprons for my cooking class at BSA camp. I have 21 done to date. Last year I have a flinger in every class. I had to wash clothes every night! I have been using three different patterns and they are whipping up fast. I made three new ones for myself. I added lace and ruffles, buttons and a bit of ribbon. That way the boys will not pick mine to wear. I wear my aprons so much I sometimes forget I have them on and have worn them to the store."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"I have forgotten I had my apron on and have worn it the the store and once to the Doctor's office. My new apron is lavender with white lace on the ruffle on the strapes that go across the back. It has two pockets that have the same lace with a bit of laverder ribbon at the top. The print is teapots and cups with yellow roses. I made two white cotton aprons and embroidered flowers on it and the pockets are tea cups one will be given to my dear friend Ann for her birthday in June."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"My grandmother Rodman showed me how to embroider when I was 7. When my brother Mike was married I did an eighth century wedding sampler as a wedding gift. It took me two years to complete. It was something I was very proud of. I also made him a folk art counted cross stich piece that has 60,000 stitches in it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:57:12 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Embroidery badge.

"I used Aunt Martha's tea towel transfers as I do not have the MaryJane Ideabook. The towels are so nice I give them as gifts. I gave some to the local Nip and Tuck to sell to help spay and neuter pets. I can not keep up with the demand!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I am a retired catholic school librarian and I encouraged the students to participate in the TV Free Week. I love to have a quiet night and just read. At camp there is no tv so the staff plays games or puts puzzles together. Over the Christmas holiday I was at camp for two weeks and did not miss the noise one bit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"My good friend Mary and I teach canning to a group of people in Concan TX twice a year. We go to a family camp call Stepin' Back and she does not get cell service! Mary has three daughters who think she should have the phone growing out of her ear! She comes to visit and spends the whole time on the phone with one or the other of the girls!
My phone worked but I told her if it did not involve death they could not call. What a nice quiet weekend, we talked, read, and each morning we got up early and have our hot beverage on the porch. NO PHONES!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn Biediger (#1503) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"This past Christmas I spent two days by myself at camp. With the price of gas we decided that we would have Christmas before I went. The kids who lived in the area had a fit that I would spent Christmas alone, but it was so peaceful. After I got over the “I am all alone” minute it was the most restful two days. No phone, TV, computer, or radio, only quiet. I watched the deer come onto the field behind the lodge each morning, the birds sang and the wind in the pines was amazing. I drank my coffee on the porch and it was cold by Texas weather. I was able to read my Bible and reflect on what Christmas was meant to be. The best Christmas gift ever."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"When Jim and I got married on 2/14/08 - we had to blend two households. That meant getting rid of a lot of STUFF. I purged his plastic containers (along with mine) and made room for just the good stuff. I didn't think to take any pictures at that time.

Our kitchen is very efficient now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the Vanishing Bee clip, not the first time I have heard of this phenomenon of vanishing bees. Funny that this is now coming to light, I have noticed the depletion of bees in my garden for sometime. In addition, we now have carpenter bees which we have never had in this area, would be an interesting study to find out when the carpenter bee began to populate this area.
It was interesting that when I started to make a list of bee friendly plants in my garden, it was much larger then I would have expected. My garden is not that large, but boy oh boy I have alot packed into a small piece of land apparently. Some of the bee friendly plants I have are: Sunflowers, zinnia, clematis, cosmos, geraniums thistle holly hocks, hyssop, raspberries, peppers, garlic, lavender, rosemary, blueberries.
I read the Secret life of Bees way back when it was on Oprha's reading list, not a very popular thing to say, but I really did not like it, and even going over the book as a refresher for this badge, only reminded me of how much I really didn’t like it. I think there are far better books relating to bees and the allure of them. Now I am reading one of the other suggested books Bees Natures Little Wonders and I am really enjoying that, will be finished with that this evening!

I enjoyed working toward the beginner level of this badge. The most profound part was realizing just how powerful my little garden is."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Karla Upton (Miss_Karla, #1576) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I mail ordered 25 chicks the spring of 2008. After giving away most of the roosters and a few "meaner than mean" hens, my flock stablized at 17 hens and one rooster. My flock includes Silver Laced Wyandotes, Marans, and Easter Eggers.

Last Spring, one of my Marans, "Old Biddy," stole some eggs and went all broody. We put her and her stash in an old dog crate. She hatched out 5 roosters and a pullet. The roosters were given away to locals who made dinner out of them. The pullet began laying over winter. I have been giving away eggs at work like others give away zucchini - in return, people save their salad leftovers and overripe garden goodies for my flock and have put change in my "chickie can." The goodies and change provide about 50% of the upkeep of the flock during the summer.

This "project" is ongoing and has now become a way of life."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:44:52 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I created a little beginner's sewing kit for my granddaughter.

I think it is very cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"My husband and I go backpacking whenever we get a chance. We always take along our book on birds to see if we can identify different species.

We always have a good time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:55:34 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

Just made the apple juice, raisin and nuts chill over. OMG are we ever sold on this product. We ate the first batch and I had to make another. I can't wait to try all of the recipes.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page