Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  11:20:09 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Organic on a Budget badge.

"My husband and I have always (we've been married 41 years) had a focus for ORGANIC and BUDGET.

We have never thought that processed, pre-prepared foods were healthy and were way too expensive.

Before my association with MJF I had a similar plan for using a healthy, baking/cooking mix for meals. Since my association with MJF I have used the Gluten Free Budget mix and I have used the "scratch recipe" from MJ's Ideabook with a LOT of variations on the theme, using yellow and blue cornmeal, wheat flour, oat flour, old-fashioned oats, etc.

And we have always focused on eating healthy, homegrown, organically raised foods. Most of it our own, either fresh or put away for the winter as canned, frozen, or dried.

Our habits and plans for ORGANIC and staying on a BUDGET are decades old.

That is the lifestyle we have lived and still choose to live.

It'll always be that way.

Chemicals??? NEVER!!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  11:25:19 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Organic on a Budget badge.

"Because eating ORGANIC and on a BUDGET has been our lifestyle for 40+ years we have also promoted that lifestyle with our family.

We have taught our daughter and her husband how to each organically and on a budget. They are enjoying their new lifestyle and the benefits of eating better, not wasting so much and not spending so much.

We have also taught my brother-in-law and his wife better ways of eating organically. Since they are city dwellers they have had to learn to look in different ways at food and how to make healthier choices.

Again, everyone is happy with better and healthier eating . . saving money and knowing how to make better choices while shopping, where to shop and how to prepare."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  11:32:58 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"BUDGET has ALWAYS been a practiced practic for us. We have always had to plan a budget for all expenses and groceries. To know how much a meal costs, how much it costs to feed each family member. It has been just my husband for the past 16 years, except, of course when we have family visiting.

I have made it a practice for decades to skip a meal at least once a week, sometimes more.

This is a long-term habit that I will maintain.

I have used the money to make donations to our local food bank and to other local families in neec

We have also sponsored a child through World Vision for the past 20 years, sending monthly support for basic needs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  11:43:37 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge.

"We have been avid camper, backpackers, hikers, cross-country skiers for all our married life (40+ years).

I am SOOOOOO attracted to our native flowers and plants. I have been able to, legally, pick some of them and press them. When out and about I carry a book on native flowers and plants so that I can identify. I have learned a lot so that I don't have to have the book to ID everything.

I have pressed and dried flowers, greenery and used in cardmaking and framed pictures.

Carry a very small notebook in my daypack so that I can collect and press along the way.

I also have a lot of books at home that I use to press flowers. I have had better success with books of certain paper types for pressing than anything else.

The photo is of some native flowers and greenery that I have mounted and framed in an oak frame. I also was able to use an antique square lace collar for a matte."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  11:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Courtney Driver (CountryLuv , #1338) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"We began our garden back in February...the construction was a little back breaking as we built a border with 2x6's and rabbit wire. We began planting in late February as our spring comes early here in South Central Texas. We have planted corn, onions, peppers, cucumbers, an assortment of herbs and radishes.

We do not use pesticides, we purchased lady bugs, praying mantis and green lacewings. Instead of fertilizer we use the materials out of our compost...works amazingly! I have also read Montrose: Life in a Garden, however, I must say that the book got me into a bit of trouble....I have bought way too many plants since reading it! LOL. But it was a beautiful book, the illustrations were phenomenal.

It is a lovely garden. My husband and I go and sit out there admiring each and every plant. It is our serenity garden."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  12:07:54 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I had fun putting these dolls together and learning how to do different seams.

Everyone seems to like them, especially the little one's. I've given quite a few away."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Judy Torola (JudyT, #599) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I was too pumped when I saw this badge. I inherited my button collection from my grandmother. She would cut every button off a garment that would be heading to the rag bag. I also do that and have used many a button from my collection when one, two or more are called for one when I'm making something. Who needs to buy buttons when you have a collection of them. You can never have too many buttons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I wanted to try to make a larger project than just my little dishcloths, which I used to get my beginner badge. But I also wanted to do something a little more challenging and something that I thought I might not be able to do. So I decided to try a cable pattern scarf!

Well, since I taught myself to knit and am not very good at reading/understanding a pattern, the basic cable pattern was REALLY tricky for me to get! But I just kept trying and eventually I figured it out. I chose a cute, light purple super soft yarn and made it extra long so I can loop it around my head about a million times. I cabled both ends of the scarf in a matching cable and while the pattern called for added fringe, I'm a no fringe kind of gal, so I left that off. In the end, it took me about 33 hours to complete this scarf. I did a lot of trial and error on the cable part. But I love it now!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"In an effort to remove all plastic in our household, I went through all the containers in my kitchen. I tossed all the yucky, worn, or lid-less items, and got rid of most all the plastic. I only saved some of my nicer Tupperware to use as "backup". I purchased nice, glass storage containers in various sizes with lids, and got my container cabinet all neat and tidy! Was inspired after reading about plastics and how they leach in our food in the April Magazine of MJF.

Leftovers are eaten as they look more attractive in the glass, and are staying nice and fresh. We no longer worry about plastic leaching into our food, and clean up is a snap because we are so organized!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"After going through the container cabinet, I then moved on to the Spice cabinet, cleaning it out and organizing by size. I organized our drinking glasses, getting rid of plastic, broken and unused items. Bakeware was organized next, and lastly the upper cabinets, bottom one under the cooktop, and my pantry. I put cardboard rounds inside my pots and pans, so when they nest they don't scratch each other. Everything is organized, and I am donating an extra blender to Goodwill. The only item I needed to add since I have been married 17 years was a new egg slicer, and a meat thermometer that replaced a broken one. Even my junk drawer is organized, with baby food jars for small things like thumb tacks.

Love being in the kitchen and knowing exactly where everything is. I love being efficient, especially in the room I use the most!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"Years ago, my husband and I purchased a nice set of kitchen knives. As I am in the kitchen cooking all the time, they get quite dull. I used to take them to a grocery store that sharpened them, but now I don't shop there (because they don't carry much organic!). A friend's husband used to be a chef, and would sharpen them for me, but I hate to keep asking. So, when I saw this Merit Badge, I thought, "Of course do it yourself!" We had a manual knife sharpener, so I decided to sharpen each one. I had seen it done, my father in law used to sharpen them when he would visit. I sharpened each one, and wiped it down nice.

Wonderful! When I went to make a sandwich today, I surprised myself at how easy it was not to have to "saw" my tomato! And for dinner tonight I made potatoes and carrots, and they were easily cut up with no issues. Success! Never a dull knife again!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:58:38 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have six reusable shopping bags and use them when I shop.

I enjoy using the bags, they are far more sturdier and more fashionable. :)
In addition, when you use them at Trader Joes, they put your name in for a drawing, and you get a nickle per bag that you use at the local grocery."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  2:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have researched alternative cleaining products that do not contain toxins. To be honest, I already make many of my own. For exapmle, I use vinegar and baking soda as a drain and toilet bowl cleaner. I also use vinegar and water as window, counter top cleaner and many other all purpose cleaning needs. I use olive oil with a touch of vinegar and water with a little essential oil for furniture polish. I use borax for an ant repelant or baby powder.

I love it.. my house smells clean and I feel good when I am done cleaning the house knowing that the air is actually fresh and breathable."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  2:14:04 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I earned the merit badge by organizing a tote swap for myself and five other girls who are also working on this badge. I also explained to my neighbors about the importance of using reusable shopping bags and gave them each a canvas tote.

It turned out great, swap went well, I have sent and received my tote. I will continue to encourage neighbors to utilize their reusable totes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  2:24:50 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"1 Metal (Navy button).
2. Rubber usually stamped on back by mfg, mine is not.
3. Wood, one of the first types made, usually covered in cloth.
4. China, my favorite with varied and sometime intricate designs, smooth front, rough back.
5. Cloth, least desirable for collecting.
6. Leather made of hides, and fish, if you have one that is decaying you should discard it will infect the rest of you button collection. 7. Shell, love the color and shean variations.
8. Glass or in my case rhinestone, it also has a mercury backing to enhance the sparkle.
9. Bakelight, bakelight was the first all chemical plastic. Can be tested for authentisity by dabbing back with soft scrub on q-tip. Q-tip will turn yellow, you will smell formaldehyde.
10.Vegetable Ivory, which is neither a vegetable or an ivory, it is actually made from a nut from a palm tree.

Love collecting and finding out info on buttons, however the more I read and learn the more there is to know! I have also met a fellow farm girl who collects buttons. I met her during the button swap I participated in, we continue to swap button info on a regular basis."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"In this project we had to take a doll ready for the garbage heap and recycle her and everything used to re-dress her and re-do her. There are many diffrent types of fibers involved, from the cotten in the clothing to the wool that her hair is made of and the additional papper fiber used to make the little flowers. All of the items on the doll I made where recycled and re-used. The dress, and out fit are made from vintage clothing from another doll, re-sized and re-sewn to fit her. Her hat was cut down to size and weaved back into shaped and then secured to fit her. Her basket I wove into a small flower vessel. The flowers are taken apart from cotton bouquets and revamped into smaller versions to fit the scale of the doll. Her hair was the toughest, I want to say it is made of wool of some sort and had to be un-knotted and re-styled. There are far more then 25 hrs into the rescue of this little cutie, but the farmgirl who received her loved her.

Fantastic, she came out adorable and is loved by the farmgirl who received her."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Joan Van Roo (Tourguidejoan, #1413) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knit a scarf. I taught my granddaughter, age 8, how to knit a scarf using the garter stitch. What fun!

I love the texture and colors. It came out great!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Joan Van Roo (Tourguidejoan, #1413) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased six reusable bags at the grocery store. I also picked up a reusable craft bag (very cute) to use for Jo-Anne fabric purchases. I keep my bags in the car so I don't forget them at home.

I feel really good about finally going green!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"I had so much fun earning this badge. I read the book in the picture as well as did some research on my own. I love history so learning where different buttons came from was right up my alley.

Great! The only thing is, now there are so many buttons that I want to find! Especially uniform buttons! Now I will be looking for buttons everywhere."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:43:33 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn Edlund (edlund33, #1100) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"To earn the beginner level Secret Life of Bees badge I did the following:

Watched the movie trailer at vanishingbees.com and was surprised to learn that I had also seen part of that movie at an IPM class I attended.

Read the book "Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. I enjoyed the book and learned a lot about how bees and people are similar in so many ways. August's caring ways brought back happy memories of my great uncle who also owned bees and a farm and was always sharing his country wisdom with us.

Checked out several books at the library including "The Backyard Beekeeper's Honey Handbook" to research bee friendly plants for my garden. Then I designed a bee garden to plant under a grove of trees at our property where I will eventually put my bee hives. I planted native shrubs including Snowberry, Oregon Grape and Nutka Rose to create a wind block on the shady side of the grove. In the sunnier locations I planted a variety of herbs and perennials including Lavender, Rosemary, Oregano, Chives, Hyssop, Bee Balm, Echinacea, Pincushion Flower, Sunrose, Rudbeckia, Lonicera and Daisies.

I planted the garden about a month ago and installed temporary irrigation to get the plants established. Now that it has started to warm up the flowers are beginning to bloom. Even though my honey bee hive is still vacant, I have observed orchard mason bees, bumblebees, a honeybee and other insects buzzing around in the new habitat!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:52:54 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Light the Way badge.

"Ever since rebuilding our house after a house fire in 1994 I have enjoyed being creative with cans and jars . . and whatever else I can repurpose. I create things for my vegetable garden, my flower beds and rock gardens and my deck.

I have used gallon jars with sand and fat candles for deck lighting. I have used large cans with pierced designs and then painted them and used jars inside of them with fat candles for use on our deck.

I have fashioned "chandeliers" such as the one in MJ's Ideabook from fencing, plant poles, etc. I have used small canning jars with the wire-wrap and votive candles. I have used small cans with pierced designs and wire hangers.

This photo shows two of the cute jars I currently use in my outdoor "chandelier". I put the lids on them to keep dirt and bugs out of the jars while not in use. The other "lights" on this chandelier are small jelly/canning jars.

I LOVE CREATING and REPURPOSING!!!!!

I have such fun with all these projects and enjoy the finished product.

And it's always fun to not just stop at one . . . keep looking for ways to create and re-purpose.

The current chandelier is not hanging on my deck yet . . . until these horrible spring winds stop!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  4:02:09 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Light the Way badge.

"I know how to split wood!!!!

We had a woodburning stove in our third home in the desert in Phoenix, (yes, you need heat there in the winter).

We had a woodburning stove in the log house we built in Colorado, (this house burned down in 07/94 . . but not from internal cause).

We logged our own logs for this log house and I did the "limbing."

So, I learned a very long time ago how to split wood.

My wood splitting technique is pretty much as described in MJ's Ideabook.

We used a splitted maul and wedge and I learned how to handle that very efficiently.

And, yes, gloves, eye protection and long sleeves were in order.

We installed a pellet stove in our house rebuild so we don't cut wood for our main source of heat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  4:10:19 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Light the Way badge.

"As stated in intermediate application we did cut and split wood for many years.

Currently we do not use a woodburning stove in our house as we installed a pellet stove.

My husband does use a woodburning stove in his shop and we have a firepit for use on our deck. Additionally, we cut and split our own wood for campfires.

We logged logs for our own house, limbed trees, cut our logs, and I had the job of planning how the logs would lay in order to construct our house!!!

I tend to be a "neat freak" about things anyway so stacking firewood in a neat, orderly and efficient way was just my way.

I have split a cord of wood for firewoood many times over . . and over!!

Our neighbors DO compliment me on the neatness and creativeness of my part of the yard.

I include this little photo of our little firewood pile . . the start of what we will use in our firepit on the deck. In an antique wheelbarrow that used to belong to my father-in-law."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  4:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Amy Johnston (Amy Johnston, #37) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I started my collection several years ago. It consists of buttons inherited from both of my grandmothers and from those I have gotten at estate sales. I have bought a card of buttons from a store only once.

I love looking at all the buttons together. I have most of them divided by color and I love picking out just the right one for a project. My four year old daughter has also grown quite fond of them and I love for her to help me pick them out."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  11:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I've been crocheting for a long time so this dish cloth and pot holder I made in a couple of days.

They have been given as gifts before and everyone loves them."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page