Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  12:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I decided it was time to change the guest bedroom look. It had been my son's room while he lived at home and was done in warm golds and reds. I wanted to make it look like a bedroom that you would find at "grandma's house", something more feminine with lace curtains and a cozy, inviting space.

I painted the walls a blue gray and added a quilt and eyelet ruffle. I decided on floor length lace curtains because I just love them. I added a few touches here and there. It was hard to photograph because it's not a huge space. I am really liking the new look!

In addition to repainting my guest bedroom, I also read the book, "Dare to Repair". This book is a must have! It explains how to do repairs yourself in easy to understand steps. It is definitely one of those books that I will be keeping in my personal collection.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  12:26:41 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“Here is another badge that my husband was happy to help me with!

I learned how to check all of my vehicle's fluid levels. I learned the proper air pressure for my vehicle's tires and why it's important not to over inflate or under inflate the tires. I also kept track of my mileage and fuel usage for a month.

Modern technology makes it so easy to push a button and check any levels on today's vehicles but you need to know how to do it yourself!
I checked my calculations and learned that it cost me 8.8 cents/per mile to drive that month and I got 19.4 mpg.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  12:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“Before I started working on this badge, I would've thought I was a more adventurous eater...but it turns out I'm really not and I'm not really sure why! Probably the most "exotic" thing that I have eaten is bighorn sheep or caribou.

I decided to spice up my life a bit! I couldn't decide on a new cuisine to try so I found a really great International cookbook at the library that had a taste of just about everything in it. I enjoy different cuisines...German, French, Italian...but I wanted something different. I was interested in African dishes but had no way to get scotch bonnet peppers where I live so I kept looking. I also didn't know if I would LIVE through eating one of those peppers... I decided to try a couple of Korean dishes and a Brazilian dish.

The dishes I chose used mirin, which I had never tasted and lots of ginger and soy sauce. I found the mirin and other ingredients at the local Whole Foods and got started!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  1:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Emily Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I grew up loving and knowing each of my four grandparents well. I had the honor of being a caretaker for 3 of the 4 of them in their last years. My husband's Grandfather passed away last year, leaving behind my husband's Grandmother, his oldest living relative, and only grandparent. Once she became widowed, I vowed to spend more time getting to know her. Starting this summer, my two daughters and I drove 2 hours each way to visit and stay the night with her. We have made a habit of revisiting every 3 weeks. We bring along games, art supplies, cards and baking supplies. We bake with her, take drives so she can show us around her town, color pictures and play board games together. I look for every opportunity to ask her questions and hear her tell stories.

We have visited three times so far this summer. My daughters are so lucky to experience this time with her, and to hear her memories and stories. Their Great-Grandma says our visits have brightened up her life and given her something to look forward to. It's brightened ours as well and we look forward to each visit with her.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  1:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Emily Yost (emilyrosebud, #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“After our first visit with my husband's Grandma, we knew we had to visit her again! We spent another day and night there in July. During our visit in June, she mentioned how much she missed and loved Blackberry Cobbler. I have never baked it before. So, I took the ingredients along for our July trip and my young daughters and I baked it for her then!

Grandma Yost was really happy with the homemade cobbler! She was equally as thrilled about us making a return trip down to stay with her. We used our time together to tell stories, bake, color and do household chores together. My 3 year old daughter really took to her Great Grandma and have developed a special bond. It's been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2018 :  11:49:25 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (Fox, #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“I looked up in a book and online to research the difference between rocks and minerals, the characteristics of minerals and identified 3 types of rocks. I researched the ways rocks and minerals are used in everyday life. Its amazing how many rocks and minerals we use everyday.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2018 :  10:36:17 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“Since I began this process in December 2013, I feel like my home is finally organized around "green". I make all of my own cleaners using safe and natural ingredients, such as baking soda, vinegar and essential oils. I have been making all of my laundry soap for 2 years. I don't have room for a clothesline outside but I have a drying rack for inside and dry at least 50% of our total laundry, at least 75% of my own, indoors.

I only buy low VOC paint and the last few rooms that I have painted in the house used these kinds of paint.

I didn't know very much about "outgassing". I learned that not only can this happen with carpet, but also furniture, paint, textiles, etc. I thought it was just that "new" smell. I could never convince my husband to remove our carpet. It has been over 5 years since we have had new carpet installed and I feel at this point the outgassing is completed, so it wouldn't do a lot of good to have them sealed. If we were to get new carpet in the future, I would have it sealed to prevent as much outgassing as possible.

I have helped my daughter get her household completely "green". She now does even more than I! She got started right before her first child was born and now makes and uses homemade products for baby care, as well.

I have a collection of "Home" books, articles from magazines, Pinterest boards with "green home" ideas that I have for anyone who wants to borrow them and make their own products. I have made a lot of little projects that I have shared with others to get them interested in DIY instead of store bought, loaded down with things we can't pronounce!

One thing I was most excited about was a cream I made for one of the grandboys who had problems with "rashy" skin as an infant. The Dr wanted to prescribe a steroid cream. I made the cream, which was supposed to be for eczema and within 2 days his skin was clear! With no steroids!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2018 :  10:38:02 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“We have 2 main local power companies which provide service to most of central Oregon. Ours is Central Electric, which is an energy co-op.

47% of our power comes from hydroelectric dams on the Columbia River. 13.5% comes from natural gas; 34% comes from coal and 7% comes from wind. Solar power is becoming more prevalent in the area. There have been 4 new solar farms installed within the last couple of years. You can also buy your own solar panel system. The investment can be around $15-20,000 after tax credits but can reduce your energy bill by 70-100%, depending on the size of your system.

I also researched different methods of energy production: natural gas, hydroelectric, coal, nuclear, solar and wind. I posted my findings on the MJ chatroom under Merit Badge chit chat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2018 :  10:39:21 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I kept a vehicle diary to track my mileage and fuel costs for the month of February. Since we live 10 miles out of town, each trip is a 20 mile trip, excluding errands. I try and consolidate trips into town to save on mileage and fuel.

That month, I drove 1345 miles; I averaged 19.4 mpg and fuel cost me $152.47. Our electric heating bill was $261.93, $7.94 per day. This still seems high but thank goodness it was about HALF of the previous year when we had above average snowfall and our old heat pump system.

I have become vigilant in shutting off lights when not in use! Last winter I started drawing the blinds in our upstairs bedroom to conserve heat in a room that is always cold in the winter time. I also pull them on the hot side of the house during the summer to keep the heat out. We have energy efficient shower heads. We have converted to energy saving light bulbs. We just installed a new LED light in our old outdoor yard light--such a tiny light puts out SO much more light for less energy than the old bulb!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2018 :  10:40:00 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I continued to keep track of my energy expenditures for the next 3 months.
In March, my fuel cost $160.39. I drove 956 miles and got 19.77 mpg. Our electric heat was $220, $7.30 per day. Still high but half of what it was last year again.
In April, I drove 1276 miles, getting 19.4 mpg. My fuel was $132.94. Our electric bill was $197.40, $5.85 per day.
In May, we drove 1728 miles, taking a little trip. Fuel cost $232.70 and I averaged 18 mpg. Our electric bill was down to $151.26, $4.51 per day.

Over the last several years, we have had several improvements made to conserve energy and reduce our costs. We put off getting a new heat pump system but decided it needed to be done. We purchased a Carrier Infinity system with an air cleaner, with "Greenspeed". It operates longer at steady, lower capacities, so it is more energy efficient and quieter. It is Energy Star efficient and uses non ozone refrigerant.

We installed Duette Architella shades on all of the windows. They have an R Value of 7.73 in winter. They are energy efficient and keep out heat in summer and keep heat in during the cold. We had all new windows installed in the house. We went with Jeld-Wen double pane and tinted windows. You can actually hold your hand up to them during the hottest part of the day and feel how cool they are on the inside.

We also just had a new roof installed. The old metal roofing was removed and we went with a traditional shingle. The installers used a layer of material under the shingles to help keep the heat regulated. He used it himself in his new home. He is only paying $50 a month in heating! I don't know if we'll ever get that low, but every little bit helps.

All of this was done by professionals, except installing the shades. My job was to repaint all of the window sills after the new windows were installed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2018 :  10:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“Gray water is water that is relatively clean and comes from sinks, baths, showers, washing machines and other kitchen appliances. It may contain traces of soaps, fats or oils from cooking and hair. It has NOT come into any contact with human waste. That would be considered black water. It is good to use for watering plants, toilet flushing and laundry.

Because we live in a high desert area, we get a relatively small amount of water each year. Not enough to implement a rain barrel system. I remember my great grandmother had a barrel off of her front porch. She said she liked to use the rainwater for a final rinse on her hair to make it soft!

Our farm has a "rainbarrel system" on somewhat of a larger scale. We irrigate almost all of our acreage under 6 pivots. This way, water is not wasted. You can put on exactly what you need and there is no run off. The small piece that is flood irrigated has a pump back system, to re use the water after it has made it to the end of the corrugates. We have 10 holding ponds on the farm that are all connected. We live at the end of the irrigation project and we are able to capture waste water from the neighbors flood water in our ponds. It's an efficient system in that if a pivot were to shut off or we have too much water, water can be sent to another pond to use on another piece of ground.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  10:33:12 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I needed to read 3 books in each of 3 categories: Fiction, Non Fiction and Poetry.

For the Fiction category, I read "A Mother's Gift" by Charlotte Hubbard; "Murder, She Knit" by Peggy Ehrhart; and "The Half Stitched Amish Quilting Club" by Wanda E. Brunstetter, this one was my favorite.
In Non Fiction, I read "The Road to Happiness is Always Under Construction" by Linda Gray; "A Place of Her Own: The Legacy of Martha Poindexter Maupin" by Janet Fisher; and "Present Over Perfect" by Shauna Niequist.
In Poetry, I read "Mother" by Maya Angelou; "The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Onassis"; and "A Cowful of Cowboy Poetry" by Baxter Black.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  10:36:05 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I decided to try a Korean dinner. The main dish was called Bulgogi. It is a thinly sliced beef sirloin marinated in a soy/garlic/mirin/sesame marinade. The beef is marinated several hours and then cooked and served in little lettuce cups. The side dish was Spinach Namul, spinach that is semi cooked and served with a dressing of soy/ginger/garlic/sesame and green onion.

The Bulgogi was good but I don't know if it was something that we liked enough to make again. The Spinach Namul was heavy on the ginger. This was the first time that I have used fresh ginger in a dish. I also prefer spinach raw. I like the texture better than when it's limp.

I was asking my husband what the most exotic food was that he had tasted. He said probably the escargot when he was in Africa. He and my son went on a hunt there and they were served all kinds of local game meat from the area and enjoyed it all. I think my tastes run more towards Austrian chocolate and Swiss fondue!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  10:36:51 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Palate Pleasers for earning an Expert Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I made several new recipes over the summer, some from the international cookbook that I borrowed from the library. One was a Brazilian steak recipe, marinated and served with charred peppers. I thought for sure there was a typo in the recipe for the amount of cayenne pepper that it called for. I used a few sprinkles and later found out that, no, it really did call for that much!

Thank goodness I toned it down because it was HOT as it was! It was served with a squash fritter, seasoned with cinnamon and cumin. They were not a favorite. I also made British pasties, which I would make again; German fried cabbage with bacon, another winner; and an Israeli salad, made from cucumber, onion and tomato. The vote on that one was a 1-1 split.

I have been making an effort to try new restaurants and asking for recommendations on what I should order. At the restaurants that we usually go to, I have been making an effort to order something DIFFERENT, trying new things. I also sent in several reviews for places that I liked. We live in a rural area so we are limited to our grocery shopping but I do enjoy shopping at Whole Foods when we go to the "big city" an hour away. I like just strolling the aisles and seeing how many things are out there that I have never tried! This is where I found the mirin that I used in my Korean recipe. It is a sweet rice wine and I will definitely use it again in the future.

We do have an abundance of Mexican food in our area and several Hispanic stores. With as many Mexican food choices that we have, all are different. Not all "Mexican" is the same. Mexican is a Mesoamerican cuisine with a Spanish influence. They use more meat, stronger spices and lots of tortillas. Spanish food is a more European cuisine with a Mediterranean style. It uses more seafood, fewer spices, saffron and no tortillas.

Thai food is a more healthy option than Chinese. It uses little oil, foods are lightly prepared and have strong aromatic components. Some dishes are sour, sweet, salty and bitter all at the same time. The dishes strive for a balance. The ingredients are fresh and served with a variety of sauces and condiments. Chinese food uses a lot of oil and much is fried. The ingredients use more preservatives and meat is a main staple ingredient.

I think that my palate has changed since I began working on this badge. I'm not as hesitant to try something new. You never know when you might find a new favorite!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  09:58:12 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I learned that to make yogurt, the milk needed to be brought to the proper temperature, 180 degrees and then cooled to 110 degrees. A small amount of yogurt culture needs to be stirred into the warm milk and then the mixture needs to incubate for 8-10 hours.

My first attempt using a crockpot was a failure. It is hard keeping the incubation temperature steady and some was overcooked. I decided to use the yogurt feature on my new instantpot...success! Same steps, the milk is brought to temperature, you allow it to cool and add the yogurt culture and then incubate back in the pot for 8 hours.

I wanted a thicker, Greek style yogurt so I strained mine for an hour after. Perfect texture and yummy taste! This is my second batch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  09:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I again enlisted the help of my husband to teach me how to change the oil in his pickup.

We pulled it into the shop and he showed me how to jack the pickup up so I could get under it. I donned a pair of coveralls (I wish I would've worn some kind of rubber gloves), grabbed the tools I needed and got to work, following his directions. I loosened the oil filter, drained the dirty oil, replaced the old filter with a new one and made sure that the plug was put back in before I added new oil to the pickup. We save our used oil and give it to a local farmer who uses it in his shop heater. I had a lovely picture of myself in coveralls under the pickup and it went missing when I had to get a new phone.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  10:01:03 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“I found 5 different types of wax that are used to make candles. Paraffin is used in most commercially bought candles and is a by product of the crude oil refinement process. Soy became popular in the 1990's as an alternative to paraffin. It is 100% soybean oil blended with vegetable oils like coconut or palm oil or beeswax. It is good for container candles. It does not take a scent well. Candle gel wax is a combination of resin and mineral oil. It holds scent and color well. Beeswax is the oldest and known for its sweet fragrance. Palm wax is made from palm oil. It is similar to soy and makes a very firm candle, so is good for pillars and votives. It can be added to soy for firmness.

Candles can be scented by either using a commercial candle making scents; fragrance oils, which are 100% synthetic; essential oils, usually 10-15 drops per lb of wax; and natural scents, such as spices, zests, herbs and plants. Some do not work well with wax. They can prevent the wax from hardening or causing the wick to not want to burn.

Candles can be colored in a variety of ways. Crayons are not the best choice as the pigments can clog the wick. Dye is a good choice as it dissolves well in the wax. It comes in blocks, chips or flakes. You can also create natural color infusion from herbs.

I think choosing how to color and scent your candles would be a personal preference. I personally would skip the color and scent and go with beeswax because of its lovely color and delicious scent!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  10:02:18 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“We live on the high desert on the dry side of the state. Because of our climate, we always have the threat of summer wildfires and being snowed in during the winter. Our local town is located in a "hole" and has experienced flooding during flash storms in the summer.

Because of the geography where we live, even though there have been fires around us, we are relatively safe. Mostly we have to deal with poor air quality.

I have a fully stocked food room that would keep us all well fed should we get snowed in and we are fortunate to have farm equipment that can be used to plow us out of the driveways.

We had a unique situation during the Eclipse of 2017. Our local area was the "hot spot" for eclipse viewing and we had people coming from all over the world to view it. Planning went on for over a year. With a population of little more than 6,000, where would the expected 100,000+ visitors stay? Eat? How would our road system handle everyone? Nothing like this had ever happened here so there were a lot of unknowns.

Locals were told to buy enough food and gas to last 2 weeks, get prescriptions filled, whatever was needed that we wouldn't need to actually get into town if we weren't able. It wasn't known if the local stores would be cleaned out or if the gas would run out. Possible medical situations had to be thought out. What if roads were clogged and no one could get to the hospital? Thankfully, most visitors brought supplies and lodging with them. Things went smoothly and the eclipse was a once in a lifetime event! Unfortunately, the visitors had trickled in over a couple of weeks so the roads were up to the challenge. But EVERYONE left at the same time! Roads were gridlocked for HOURS. Thankfully we were prepared and stayed home out of the mess.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  10:04:40 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“To complete the intermediate portion of this badge, I continued to practice my mindfulness meditation for another 3 weeks.

I tried to make each session 10 minutes, longer if I could. It definitely takes practice! One way this came in useful for me was the nights that I had a hard time shutting off my brain and going to sleep. If I would work on deep breathing and turning my thoughts off of other things, I would generally be asleep within 10 minutes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  10:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“During the following year, I have researched different types of meditation, such as walking meditation.

I found that walking meditation was very relaxing but I felt that I wanted to be a little more aware of my surroundings if I were walking on a public road or back along the canyon.

I have used mindfulness meditation over the past year in several situations: waiting at the doctor's office, sitting in the dentist chair getting a root canal, trying to sleep, unwinding at the end of the day, sitting in the passenger seat on a drive. It definitely takes practice! A friend of mine described it as sitting quietly in your own space when there is chaos going on around you and letting it pass, when what you really want to do is jump up and hit something with a baseball bat!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  10:06:31 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“I like an eclectic style of jewelry! It depends on what I'm wearing and what kind of mood that I'm in. Anything from a simple pair of diamond studs to bold necklaces with lots of texture. I have a favorite catalog that carries a lot of jewelry that I love. I started saving pictures of things that I thought I could possibly make myself.

I decided to sign up for a jewelry making class and started collecting supplies with the class supply list. I'm thinking I might need to find more room for jewelry making storage.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  10:07:27 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“I signed up for a beginning jewelry making class at a local craft store. It was a very basic class but it covered a lot of how to's, what different tools were for, what different findings were for, etc. Enough to get me going!

I made 2 bracelets while in class: one beaded and one spiral wired. I'm not a huge fan of the spiral wire but it is nice to work with. I may take it apart and make it differently. I also noticed that I might want to branch out in a different color.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  3:40:01 PM  Show Profile
Allyson Wolf (Goodmedicine Girls, #7693) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I started my new Community Service Journal. I am already volunteering at least four organizations regularly and a few more as needed. For the month of August, I wrote a synopsis of my volunteer work and volunteered about 23 hours per week. I reported on my work and random acts of kindness for the entire month at our monthly Farmgirl meeting.

It turned out wonderful, and I plan to continue my journal and my volunteer work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  3:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Jen Daniels (pinkjend, #7693) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I went around the house and oiled every door and hinge. I also oiled our bike chains and gardening tools.

I can't believe how much of a difference this simple task made. The doors were not only squeaky but also dirty! I cleaned them up as well. I'm so happy I took the time to earn this badge!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  3:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (Fox, #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have made, collected, and used reusable bags on shopping trips. Since California now charges for bags at stores, I also have several bags that click onto my purse so that I always have them with me.

I have collected many reusable bags, but found I often forgot them at home. I now have several that I keep in the car along with a cooler bag. I have at least 1 that I keep in my purse or attached, so if I forget to bring them in to the store, I can put the small items in it, then transfer the other items into either the cooler bag or the other bags to bring into the house. I found now I've been using the recycled bags almost exclusively.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page