Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  1:15:40 PM  Show Profile
Heather Majernik (FarmMom, #5518) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Living in the country, we do not have the option of having recycling picked up curbside. However, our county has "convenience centers" that accept trash as well as items to be recycled. Those centers accept paper, cardboard, cans, glass, plastic milk/soda bottles, aluminum cans and used motor oil. In addition, Antifreeze, batteries, appliances, tires and yard waste is accepted at our County landfill to be recycled.

Doing this research, I see some opportunities where we can recycle more than we do - especially magazines and having a place to take the used motor oil when we have it.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  1:16:26 PM  Show Profile
Heather Majernik (FarmMom, #5518) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“The benefits of regular meditation include: reduced stress, managing anxiety, improved emotional health, improved self awareness, longer attention span, improved sleep, decreased blood pressure, pain control, increased kindness, improve memory and possibly fight addictions. There are many types of meditation, also it seems that some are tools to use during meditation. They include: Transcendental meditation (rise above current state of being), Mindfulness (present in the moment), Kundalini (movement and mantras), Zen (specific steps and postures), Body Scan (search for tension), Breath awareness, and Visualization. Research done at Healthline.com, MedicalNewsToday.com and Lifeadvancer.com

I have been meditating off and on for about a year using the Headspace app. For the past week, I made a point to meditate every morning for 10 minutes. It really does seem to help me relax and seems to help me be more aware of things throughout the day. I look forward to this being a permanent part of my day.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2018 :  12:13:08 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I have tried most all cuisines, mostly made from people from that country, so it was family recipes I was eating. I elected to dig further into German food as most of the food I had in that country was from a restaurant rather than homemade. My list of foods, exotic or otherwise, is fairly long, with the raw oyster (fresh from the Mediterranean) being the least palatable. Most of my pickiness in foods has to do with texture rather than taste, although I do not eat much spicy/acidic food as I have a problem with acid reflux.

I used the cookbook "Cooking the German Way" by Shelley Byfield-Riches and Alice Judd. The recipes are different in that they use a lot more butter, cream, eggs, pork, and wine, but a lot less sugar. I am looking forward to tasting the foods.

Shopping for wine was my favorite part. I did have to get a larger variety of dairy and try some new cheeses though.

The biggest reason I started with one of the European cuisines is that I have to sell the food to my family, and they are a picky bunch. I have decided to start slipping other cultures into the meal chain though. We have enjoyed a great many Irish foods and will be moving onto Scottish next. From there I hope to move across Asia, starting with Russia and then down into China, Japan, and Korea. I make a mean egg roll. By the time I am done with them, they should even be eating Jamaican foods, and those can pack a punch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2018 :  12:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

“I made Celebration Chicken with Mushrooms, Dainty Potato Rolls, Chicken Fricassee, Chicken in White Wine, Gourmet's Chicken (family favorite), and Plum Souffle.

My family was subjected to each item on the menu and required to give an opinion. My husband liked it all, but my daughter turned up her nose at almost everything. I think it was all the wine.

I'm game to try nearly anything, except veal (that being an ethical choice). I've had squid, octopus, alligator, grouse, venison, bison/buffalo, snake, fish I don't know the name of and don't really want to know.

For the most part, the recipes were tasty. I made notes on the changes I would made, such as more seasonings, thicker sauce, less wine and more broth. Some of the items were even good as leftovers (or re-runs), but not everything was.

I need to get my hands on some crayfish and make them a good ol' fashioned Cajun crayfish boil. I miss those mud puppies!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2018 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile
Karla Reinhart (#4476) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I have always wanted another online quilt store. So I decided the name would be Moosetrack Quilts and Gifts since I really like moose and Quilting. I even have a business name license.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2018 :  08:58:26 AM  Show Profile
Karla Reinhart (#4476) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“In the state of Oregon only a fictitious business name is required to start a business. I have obtained the business name, and have business cards printed by a local company.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2018 :  08:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Karla Reinhart (#4476) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I successfully started an online quilt store, and am a vendor at local quilt shows. I am being invited to more quilt shows, it is fun to meet new people with similar interests.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2018 :  08:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Karla Reinhart (#4476) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I gathered some favorite recipes of mine from several family members. We have created 3 family recipe books and shared multiple favorite recipes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2018 :  09:00:54 AM  Show Profile
Karla Reinhart (#4476) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I have been quilting for about 15 years and love making items for special events. This turned out very well, I have given made items to several family members and belong to a quilt guild.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2018 :  10:02:52 AM  Show Profile
Ann Socolofsky (#7692) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I have been watching how I talk and communicate. Learning new words has been fun but they can be hard to incorporate into daily speech.

Words:
  • ultradian- having a biorhythm of less than 24 hours
  • copse- a thicket of trees
  • eady- wealthy
  • siderate- to blast or strike with lightning
  • embosk- to hide in the bushes
  • rutilant- having a reddish glow
  • puissant- powerful
  • kyoodle- to bark or yap
  • antigropelos- waterproof leggings
  • bade- cat
  • evanescent- tending to vanish like vapor
  • cullion- base, offensive
  • orgulous- proud
  • seqacious- intellectually servile
I signed up for two dictionary sites and they send me a word every day. Since I have a fairly extensive vocabulary, about half of the words are ones I already know. However, there are still words that are new to me or words I have heard and I did not know the meaning. One site also has vocabulary quizzes and I have been talking some of their quizzes every day. This reinforces what I have been learning.his reinforces what I have been learning.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2018 :  11:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Julie Deane (Nature Jules, #7051) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I attended our local Farmgirl Group, we call ourselves the Oil Valley Homesteaders as we are from Titusville, PA and surrounding area, where we decided to do a class on crocheting. I learned as a young child how to crochet but it was fun brushing up on my skills.

We made a head wrap as it was in the upcoming fall/winter of 2017 season and it turned out beautifully and very functional!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2018 :  11:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Heather Majernik (FarmMom, #5518) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have been recycling since 8/21/18 (and actually before that as well). We have a small bucket under the sink to make it easy to set recycling items aside. When full, that bucket gets dumped (usually daily) into a larger container that is kept in the garage. Once or twice a week, we take both our trash and our recycling to our county collection center.

Our system has worked really well. Everyone knows where recycled items go and we feel good keeping what we can out of the trash.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2018 :  11:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“We continued to track our energy expenditures for an additional three months. We still weren't at the price point we wanted to spend per month, so we decided to sell our dryer, and only use a clothesline. As we have long cold winters, we hung up an indoor line in our extra room upstairs, where I can hang the laundry on days that are too cold or snowy or rainy to do it outside. We insulated our hot water tank as well as pipes - which save about 10% per year. Windows will continue to get replaced as the budget allows. We also spent time insulating our attic and other parts of the house that needed additional insulation (we have a house that is about 80 years old).

I still had about 6 hours left of project time, so I went to a friends house and helped her plan, helped her think of ways she can go green - laundry, dishes, insulating tanks, insulating walls, checking her windows, helping her plan for solar panels and tips and tricks to reducing energy waste in regards to leaving lights on etc.

We also talked and put in place a plan to be more energy efficient in terms of gasoline/using the car. For ourselves, we reduced our traveling by planning for once a week outing - errand day combined with music lesson day. We are about 2km (hilly!) to the post office to pick up our mail - we pick it up either that day, or we bike to get it.

I really enjoyed working on this badge, as you really learn over the course of the past 8 months how to be more energy efficient, what we can live without, and how much happier we are! We're saving money, getting more exercise (we take the car less) and helping the environment!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2018 :  11:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I completed the requirements for this badge by freezing three different types of fresh produce. The first was tomatoes. I had no idea they are so easy!! All I had to do was clean them, and pop them whole (after I hulled them) into the freezer. I have about 20 1L bags of tomatoes that I grew in our garden, in the freezer. I can take them out when I need them to make stew, sauce - whatever our fancy! The next one I froze was pumpkin. For this one, I took our pumpkins, cut them in half, seeded them, roasted them, scooped it out, pureed and put them in containers. I will use that for soups and baking. The last one I did was blueberries. We had an abundant amount this year - so I made a lot in the canner, but also decided to freeze some for smoothies. I froze them on a cookie sheet - one layer, for about 1 hour. Then I put them in bags after that in portions needed for smoothies or muffins.

I'm excited for all the yummy food in the freezer - with much more to come! I'm not done yet :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  09:57:24 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“Learn the difference between baking powder and baking soda.
Baking soda has one ingredient: sodium bicarbonate, which causes chemical leavening.
Baking powder has acids that cause CO2 to release at different times, and won’t react with baking soda until wet and hot. This is what allows the bread to rise evenly.

Cook three different breads using chemical leavening agents. Describe the texture of your bread and how it’s affected by what ingredients you used. Did it change with the type of flour and leavening you used?
I baked 3 different types of Irish soda bread the first I used organic ingredients and wheat flour. The texture was very different then the other two. For the two, I used white flour, they were much softer. The one in the cast iron I used extra sugar and flour and the shape completely changed.

I submitted Irish Soda Bread to the OC Fair, which is something I have always talked about, but never dreamed of doing! I got this participation ribbon and honestly I am so proud. The theme of the fair is “find your inner farmer” and I just felt that it was so appropriate. I want to get better at baking and enter more categories next year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  10:34:14 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Buzzin' Around Merit Badge!

“I had never ran a chainsaw in my life. My husband, on the other hand, owns several and loves to run them all. When I mentioned this new merit badge, he was very excited to share his knowledge with me.
We discussed the merits of electric vs. gas powered saws and the importance of eye and ear protection and what kind of gear he already owned that I would be able to borrow.

We went into a Stihl dealer and I window shopped for the kind of saw that I would buy, were I in the market for one. I decided on a gas saw. I wouldn't want to have my battery run out on me. I also wanted a saw that was as lightweight as they come, but also a long bar. I found the perfect saw for me, an MS170. It weighed less than 9 lb and you could get various length bars for it.

Little did I know that my husband bought it for me...or was it for him? You can never have too many saws, apparently...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  10:35:19 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Buzzin' Around Merit Badge!

“As we don't have any local chainsaw classes available, I watched several online videos on chainsaw maintenance and safety. My husband also taught me a lot about the saw we were working with during our practice sessions--how to put the chain back on, should it come off; how to use wedges; proper positioning of the bar when working close to the ground; how to fuel and maintain a saw; proper posture and body position when using a saw.

There are a lot of things that you have to remember to do, all at the same time. And many things NOT to do. I'm thinking that with practice, it will become more natural, like driving a car.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  10:37:23 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Buzzin' Around Merit Badge!

“We decided that in addition to limbing overgrown brush up the driveway, we also needed to fall a tree that had broken during a wind storm and cut it up for firewood.

I learned how to fall a tree, putting it right where it needed to go and where it would be easiest to get to, once down. That was really pretty cool! Once felled, I limbed the tree. Then once we moved it to a flat location, I cut it up into smaller pieces that would later be split into firewood. After operating the saw, I would recommend to ALWAYS wear ear and eye protection, gloves and sturdy boots.

I shared my chainsaw story with a couple of girlfriends. While I'm still way more comfortable running a sewing machine, I think I could become just as comfortable with a saw with practice! It really is a good skill to know, just like changing a tire. You never know when it might come in handy!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  10:38:25 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“I had not really given rocks too much thought until I married into a family of rockhounds! We "inherited" much of my husband's great grandmother's collection of rocks. Whenever and wherever she traveled, she would bring home a rock. My husband and I also started doing this over the years. It's kind of a fun way to remember places that we've been.

Our town hosts a Rockhounder's Powwow every summer. Vendors come from all over selling every kind of rock imaginable. We enjoy going to see what kind of different rocks we can find. We seem to be drawn to polished rock treasures.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  10:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“Here is a small sampling of my favorite rocks from our collection.

The upper pink is a piece of granite from Texas. There are 2 different colors of agate. The amethyst crystals are considered a mineral and gemstone. The Lapis is a gemstone and a rock composite of several minerals. There are 2 pieces of obsidian, one striped and one cut into a heart shape. Obsidian is a mineraloid. The tiger eye heart is a gemstone and metamorphic rock. The thunderegg is a filled geode, formed by layers of volcanic ash. The frilly looking cluster is called a Desert Rose. It's a native rock formation of cyclic, penetrating crystals of selenite. The pink and white heart shape has amethyst crystals in it. I have lots of rocks outside as well, lining my flower beds and used as accents.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  12:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“A good wind break serves many purposes: it protects buildings and livestock; conserves energy by providing shade in the summer and warmth in the winter; reduces energy bills; keeps snow from blowing and drifting, allowing a more uniform distribution of snow to more effectively insulate winter crops; provides privacy; and creates a haven for wildlife.

A good wind break is usually planted in multiple, carefully spaced rows, positioned optimally, relative to the direction of the most prevalent and damaging winds. It should be at least 50 feet from roads and building. The outside row should be shade tolerant conifers, good for trapping snow. The inner row can be taller trees. The farthest inner row can be smaller evergreens or shrubs, more dense than the others and providing an aesthetic value to the property. It's good to plant the rows 10-15 feet apart, with 14 feet between plants and trees. Your windbreak should be as long as the area that you want to protect and at least 100 feet extra, 50 feet on each end, to serve as an added buffer. Living on a flat plain, I could see how a few properly placed windbreaks would be really beneficial to our farm....and provide relief from the never ending wind!

Our local park is mostly native pine trees plus a few planted deciduous trees.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  12:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“Thank goodness for my tree ID book--we have so many different species of pine and fir trees on our wooded property--it really came in handy!
I found that we mostly have larch trees, douglas fir trees, white pine and ponderosa pine, with the ponderosa pine being the largest of all.

I noticed that all of these trees grow together, with the ponderosa pines being the tallest of all and seem to somewhat crowd out the other pines and firs. Shorter, brushier shrubs fill in the undergrowth in places. It seems to do ok because it's getting enough space for enough sunlight to get through.

Smaller pine trees have popped up in more open areas. I've been surprised at how quickly they grow and the place can start to look overgrown quickly. This summer we took out several trees to open the area back up. Another good reason to thin out, besides aesthetic value, is for a proper fire buffer zone around the house and buildings.
Thankfully, no trash was found! This photo was taken during the winter, not when I went on my nature walk :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  12:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I have been cross stitching for years and have made several projects in that time. I really enjoy working on linen, although it was easier back in the day. Thank goodness for cheap, high powered readers from the local BiMart! I have also taught my daughter how to cross stitch.

I haven't made a project in awhile so I decided to do this simple baby bib for my new granddaughter!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  12:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I have used regular Aida cloth for cross stitching, which is nice because it's so easy to see the holes and for counting out your project.

I started doing more projects on linen. I love the more professional look of linen but it's a little more tricky counting over threads instead of holes. I wanted to use linen for this picture.

I started this cross stitch project before I became a farmgirl, but had very little done on it. It was one of the "big 3" projects that I still had left on my UFO list. I decided to finally finish it and give it to my mom for Christmas this year. I figure I have close to 100 hours in it since I started finishing it. It is now ready to go to the framers to finish it off.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  12:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“Ways to decorate your home that are green.... My husband and I are both somewhat sensitive to smells, him especially, and especially "artificial" smells. I don't use anything with an "artificial" smell, such as air fresheners, Scentsy, etc. A nice alternative to something like this would be homemade potpourri simmering on the stove or diffusing different oils in a diffuser; also using beeswax candles.

I also enjoy decorating with a more natural, organic look and also decorating with the seasons. Using things from nature, such as a pitcher of wheat stalks or a bunch of pinecones in a wooden bowl. Having natural fibers for bedding and towels. I have shades on each window but always leave them up to let as much sunlight in as possible.

Here is an example of a Christmas arrangement on my dining room table. I am also somewhat of a minimalist, not liking a lot of clutter and keeping things clean and homey.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page