Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  3:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (FarmGirlQuilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I started a community service journal and began by researching 3 different organizations I could volunteer my time. Since my background is Education - I went with heading up a tutoring program at my church for 3rd grade struggling students. We met from August- March every Monday for 1.5 hours.

It was amazing! We had many parents thank us and tell us how their child's grades had increased and some even had better attendance and behavior. So excited that we had the opportunity to serve our community.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  3:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (FarmGirlQuilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“Continued work with tutoring at our church. We went thru the proper channels and made sure all volunteers were approved.

Turn out was great. Parents were appreciative and some even began to attend our church- so not only were we working with kids to help them do better in school- we were reaching families for Christ.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  3:49:52 PM  Show Profile
Joanna Green (Joanna, #5965) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I have gathered an assortment of family recipes. Among those recipes was the stuffing pattern we use at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It has been handed down for a least 5 generations but was never written down. I had the privilege to record it for future generations. Other recipes were given by my great aunts and my mother had a recipe for a cake that my grandfather used to make before his death at 35 years of age (needless to say, I never met him).

I am now starting to put them together into a recipe book.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  4:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Krista Butters-Davis (MaryJanesNiece, #528) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“For my Intermediate Crochet Merit Badge, I choose to make a diaper cover that included a matching hat. I then choose to make some baby booties. I gave four sets of booties away for baby shower gifts and made a pair for my son. When I was working on the baby booties I invited my friend over so we could crochet together. She spent her time making her son a new blanket.

The diaper cover turned out a bit too large to fit my son but should fit in no time. I enjoyed making the diaper cover because I learned how to do increases and decreases. The matching hat was a perfect fit and looks adorable on him. I really like learning how to make a hat because it taught me how to work in the round. Making the baby booties where my favorite. My first set turned out to small but I soon picked up on what size hook I needed to achieve the correct size. Aside from that, the booties have turned out so cute and has taught me how to use multiple stitches as well as learn how to sew straps and buttons on with a larger needle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  4:14:00 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“It was difficult to find food allergy statistics, but it is estimated that 15 million Americans have them. 1 in 13 children are estimated to have them, but usually grow out of them when they hit puberty.

The majority of food allergies are protein based. The main food allergies are: Eggs, fish, milk, nuts, shellfish, soy, and wheat. The symptoms can range from an itchy mouth and/or diarrhea to anaphylaxis.

One of my friends is allergic to milk and eggs. My brother-in-law is allergic to lobster; surprisingly no other shellfish. I am allergic to milk and raw onions. If I eat raw onions I get really bad stomach and body pain.

While I was shopping I looked at 5 foods that either I or my Dad buys. Couldn't find anything with lobster:
•Mac and Cheese- Dairy
•Hamburger/ Tuna Helper- Dairy and Eggs
•Powdered Gravy- Onions and Dairy
•Crackers- Milk and Eggs
•Bisquick- Milk and Eggs

I was surprised to find that the gravy my dad buys has onions in it. Good thing I'm only allergic to raw onions.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  4:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“All of my doors are level and sealing well. I cleaned up the handles and locks. Since there wasn't a whole lot to do, I disassemble my sewing machine. Then I cleaned and oiled it.

I don't think that sewing machine has been that clean since I had it serviced; 5 years ago!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  4:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I didn't have a sewing kit, so I assembled one using a tiny makeup box. While I was at it, I reorganized my mother's thread box, which I inherited. She used to keep her thread color coded inside an old toolbox.

It didn't take long to assemble a sewing kit, since I have a whole closet full of sewing stuff. My mother used to make extra money by sewing and repairing clothes, so I inherited a lot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  4:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I keep a recipe card book, with all of my favorite recipes, and it's still growing.

Funny story about the recipe book itself: My mother and grandmother each had a recipe card book (one blue one white). My mother's was starting to fall apart, so she bought the one in the picture, to replace her old one.

The thing is; she never switched them out! She kept this strawberry covered book for years and years, never using it! Whenever I asked if I could use it, she would always tell me no.

When my mother passed away, my grandmother claimed it for her recipe cards, and yet again, it sat unused. Then my grandma passed away. So now, not only did I end up with the recipe card book (still in its plastic), but I inherited both of their old cookbooks as well.

Nobody wants a copy of the books. But I do send out copies of the recipes to family members, on request.

I might be adding French King's Day Cake to the book, if it turns out.

It's really hard to find recipes in my mother and grandmother's old book. Especially my grandmother's. She had the tendency to list the ingredients, but not always the title or instructions.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  4:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“The jar on the left was my mother's button jar, which is now full of my buttons. The jar on the right is full of matching buttons (4 or more matching). Last time I counted, I had over 200 buttons.

It's not difficult to find and save buttons, it's only hard to find the right one!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  4:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I'm starting a small garden. I rented 2 garden beds at a community garden. So far I only have 2 tomato plants, a green pepper plant, onions, and some bush bean sprouts. I'm starting to get some green onions, beets, carrots (2 breeds), and some lettuce. And to think; I still have 1/4 of the bed left to plant. By the way, the beds are organic, and no outside fertilizer or pesticides are allowed.

I don't use pesticides, especially since I have asthma. I've recently been mixing my own bug deterrent, which doesn't harm the good bugs.

You mix 7 crushed garlic cloves, 1T cayenne pepper, in 3 cups of hot water. Let the mixture sit for 3 days, strain, and use in a spray bottle. Bugs don't like the taste or smell.

I did read Montrose, but aside from the pictures, I found it a little bit boring. Sorry.

Turning the garden beds and battling the bindweed are a chore. But the vegetables will be worth it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  3:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I have always been fascinated with all things Italian. Rome is on my bucket list!

I have been doing some of my own research on the Italian culture. Native Italians first identify themselves to their village. Villages and cities celebrate throughout the year with festivals ... all kinds of festivals ... but many revolve around food, historic events and the saints. One of the big festivals is held in Venice, the Carnivale di Venezia, which is like America's Mardi Gras.

Italy has given us many contributions in the areas of Art, Architecture, Music, Food and Fashion.

I have also been studying the Italian language and have learned how to count through 10...
uno
due
tre
Quattro
cinque
sei
sette
otto
nove
dieci

Ciao can be used for both hello and goodbye. Good morning is buongiorno and good night is buona notte.

I've been having a lot of fun with this and plan on continuing to learn more!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  3:39:23 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“I had GREAT plans for my Jubilee weekend! But sometimes life will change them for you....but it was still a good weekend!
My husband and I had our 3 grandsons for the week prior while their parents were out of town. The day after they left, 1 little boy came down with the flu! And then 24 hours later, then next one did....you get the picture! Thank goodness it was only a 24 hour thing! So I changed my plans a little.

We still made cookies for our family that lives close by.
We planted corn, zucchini, spinach and sunflowers.
We spent fun family time in town at the park with fellow preschool friends.

We went on a field trip to the local fire station and learned about fire safety.

We spent time each afternoon doing chores at their house, taking care of the chickens and pets.

We spent time reading and praying together in the evenings before bed.

It was a good week and weekend and I think it made for some happy memories for all of us!

I only got 1 photo of cookie making. I wish I would've got a photo of the garden planting but right about then, one of the little boys got stung by a bee and I got busy taking care of that!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  3:42:27 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First-Aid Merit Badge!

“When I was doing my spring cleaning, I made a note of what I needed in the house to complete the first aid products that I would need. I also found an OSHA approved first aid kit in my bottom cupboard that I had forgotten that I had!

The deluxe first aid kit went into our farm shop. I felt it would be best suited there. I put together smaller kits to have in our pickup and SUV. I now have a well stocked first aid shelf in our bathroom and purchased a fire extinguisher for our house.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  3:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level First-Aid Merit Badge!

“Our local community college recently offered a 4 hour first aid course and I signed my husband and I up to take it. It had been QUITE a few years since we had gotten our first aid cards. I knew that things had changed a great deal in recent years in regards to CPR techniques.

I'm so glad we took this class! It was great to learn the new CPR methods and have a refresher course on emergency situations.
Our new first aid cards are good for the next 2 years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  3:50:00 PM  Show Profile
Melody Hingl (GoatieGirl, #6700) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“My mother was a Home-Ec teacher for over 30 years. I was recently helping her go through the remains of her classroom when I stumbled upon a bulletin board sized embroidery sampler. I was instantly fascinated. I remember her always teaching her classes to do various stitching and sewing projects, and I asked her if she could teach me the basic stitches. So, we sat with the sampler stretched across the kitchen table. One by one she precisely showed me how to maneuver my needle. I was hooked! As I began to gain experience, I chose to make my own sampler using her example. Sure, it's not as pretty as hers, but it's a great reference full of fun memories!

I love the colors of the embroidery floss and how they pop on fabric. I suppose my mothers final advice on the project would be to give it a proper ironing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  3:55:41 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I went through all my odd materials and put the projects in separate bags. I made 2 copies of a list of needed supplies--1 for my purse; 1 for the project. I picked the baby sweater to finish crocheting and did it! Yeah one project down.

I thought I'd finished all of my UFO's last winter, but found more. So I need to get back to finishing some more projects. I didn't need any more supplies, as I already had the yarn and the project started. After I completed the sweater, I gave it to a local church to use in their layette bags that they make & give to Lutheran World Relief. They were so appreciative of the sweater, and I felt good about sharing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  4:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Hannah Brelage (GinnyBelle, #6994) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I visited the Tippecanoe Battlefield Museum today. It is the site of the Battle of Tippecanoe, fought between the American forces of William Henry Harrison and the Native American Confederacy of Tecumseh under the command of his brother Tenskwatawa.

I had a very informative and enjoyable visit both in the actual museum and then chatting with the man in the gift shop. I have visited the battlefield and giftshop many times in the 20 years I've lived here, but had never actually gone through the museum. I am glad I did. It is a small but well done bit of history.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  4:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Enlow (#6992) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“Last year I made my first compost bin from a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub. I researched what to put in and not put in, drilled holes for air and moisture flow, and got a rake tool for turning it frequently.

This spring I bought a second tub because I couldn't use my compost fast enough. I am pulling out of last year's for this year's garden and contributing to the new tub, and next year I will reverse that. I am already seeing some lovely decomposition in this new tub and really look forward to next year! I am hoping that this two-bin system will serve me well for many years.

In the picture are my two tubs, which I moved to be near my garden.

It worked out so well that this year I had a lot of compost to use in my garden, near 30 gallons. That's a lot for a small garden like mine!

The only "problem" I've had is that I must have thrown a cucumber in with it because this year I am getting cucumber sprouts everywhere I used the mulch!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  4:11:42 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Breadmaking Merit Badge!

“Baking soda activates when it comes into contact with acidic liquids, such as milk, yogurt or vinegar. You have to move fast for this one, before it deflates.

Baking powder activates twice; when it is wet and then when it gets hot.

I make buttermilk biscuits all the time, and they use baking powder. I also made banana nut bread which calls for baking soda. My grandma's trick was to freeze the bananas first, so they would be mushy. Lastly I made an Irish soda bread which calls for both baking soda and baking powder.

The biscuits and banana nut bread came out fine, and are usually consumed before I can get a picture! As for the Irish soda bread, I have to admit it's not my thing, so I let my friend take it home. She told me it was perfect.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  4:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I found this pattern in an antique reproduction book and I fell in love with it. It took me a while to complete it but I'm glad that I invested the time and finished it.

I love how it turned out. Now I have to find a form that will fit the design that I have in mind and some fabric that will match it. I want to turn this into a pillow.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  4:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Linda Cole (sunshine, #4879) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“Thought I would get a head start on Christmas gifts so I bought two hand towels and put a crocheted edge on the ends. I looked in a book I have called Complete Book of Needle-Craft by Duncan. I chose a simple pattern. I could not find a name for the pattern, just a number. These two will go to my daughter.

I liked the outcome so much that I started a set for my daughter in law. This time I will try a different pattern.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  4:28:11 PM  Show Profile
Linda Cole (sunshine, #4879) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“My sister was throwing out a little clutch bag that my grandmother made for her when she was in early teens. She is now in her mid seventies and needs nothing I can buy. I grab the purse and took it home with me. On the purse was a pink rose with green stem and leaves. I took rose off. Now for the hard part so back I went to my book called Complete Book of Needle Craft by Duncan. I made the purse out of the single crochet stitch. Then I made a pink liner. I joined these two together then put in a zipper and finished putting the purse together. I had nothing but the old purse and my book to show me what to do. I had to take out my crocheting and start over many times because I could not keep my stitches even. I put the pink rose and leaves on the front of this purse. This I had to do before the purse was completely put together because I did not want the stitches to show on the lining. I don't know how many hours I put in but it seemed like forever. This will be my sisters Christmas gift.

Cute but could really be improved on. Crocheting is worse part. Wish I had a picture to show.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  3:59:30 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Birds Merit Badge!

“Bird watching is so very easy around our home. We have nesting blue birds that we watch every day. In addition we have red birds, robins, wax wings, sparrows, doves, crows, buzzards, humming birds, brown headed cow birds, common grackles, painted bunting and swallows! We also have the occasional hawk! We have a family of red headed woodpeckers also. We have a system of food spots and they all come for their foods and seeds. Watching them is really easy out the windows or by being outside and being still. They fly all around us now. At least most of them do. As for photos of them I have gotten a couple with my I phone but they are not really good quality due to not having telephoto lenses. I am not a photographer!

We have been able to see most of the birds up close, including one little nosy humming bird that flew right up in front of us while we were on the porch sitting in the swing. He looked us over really well! Its good to watch them during the year and to see the first and last of them during the seasons!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  4:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I've researched the five herbs that I especially like. Parsley, tarragon, cilantro, garlic and sage. I use most of these herbs weekly and also found several of them to have medical uses during my research. Many medicines are derivatives of herbs and other plants. Nightshade comes to mind. Its always good to find out more about these things!

I've always known that many plants and herbs have had a medicinal use but its good to learn more information about them in general. Tastes are also interesting and I have tried several that I was not familiar with. Anise is definite on my do not use list. Simply don't like it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  4:06:30 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I read Montrose: Life in a Garden by Nancy Goodwin. I would have loved to have seen photos in this book rather than only drawings. I'm trying organic gardening this year. It's a learning experience for me. I've done research on this method and have found out much. IPM (Integrated Pest Management) brought up several points that sound interesting and are to be tried. However I didn't like the possible use of kerosene in the garden. I liked the phrase "Remember the golden rule of gardening; there are no rules." I found that at the no-dig-vegetablegarden.com site. Mother Earth News also has a good site for organic gardening. Bottom line in organic gardening is diligence!

This attempt has started a new approach for me. It never hurts to learn new things. It's worth trying!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page