Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have been sewing since I was in grade school and have been saving and collecting buttons ever since. If I am getting rid of an article of clothing that is no longer wearable, I will often cut the buttons off and add them to the jar. I've recently added to my collection since I've started making dresses for the Dress a Girl program so I can use a cute, fun button on the pocket.

It's fun to look back through the button jar and remember where they came from.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I let my family know that my cell phone was OFF for the weekend! I was so looking forward to the quiet that I even started EARLY that Friday.

I had no TV, radio, phone or cell phone for the entire weekend! It was glorious! I spent most of the time in my sewing room working on projects and enjoying the peace and quiet. I would definitely do this again just for fun!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman at Arms Merit Badge!

“I have grown up with guns all of my life. The importance of gun safety was always stressed.

When my daughter turned 12, I enrolled her in hunter's safety and took the class with her. We were required to shoot at the gun range and show that we understood safe gun handling.

I have also learned the gun regulations in the states of Oregon and Montana.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“My husband and I usually spend most of the month of November in Montana. You are able to get both an elk and deer tag and the season is open all month long.

We have a small piece of property there and are able to hunt on our own property as well as the surrounding area.

I spotted this year's blacktail right behind our house this year. Unlike my husband who likes to have his picture taken with his animal, I do not so much!

We dressed it out and hung it up in the shop for several days. When our kids came up to visit over Thanksgiving, we had a meat cutting party and even let our 4 year old grandson help cut and wrap.

We always cut and wrap all of our own meat and make our own hamburger and sausage. I am including a picture of the wrapped trophy....the scribbles are my grandson's re telling the hunting story!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:18:46 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I did not use any slang or abbreviations in my typing or speaking for the past 2 weeks. I also participated in our Wildflower Group's "word of the day" discussion page of new words that I used each day.

I really enjoy reading dictionaries, so this was a very pleasurable badge to earn.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:32:42 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“I helped organize a team of people to help a local farm family that runs a B&B as well. I went for 7 hours to help out around the house, spring cleaning etc. and then spent an additional 2 hours helping with yard work and chores. I brought a salad and dessert for us to share following all the hard work.

I really truly enjoyed helping out this family. It was wonderful to see how appreciated they felt about all the help.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  2:33:01 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (#6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I have been quilting for a long time. Have made many quilts and so I helped my cousin learn to make her first baby quilt.

It turned out good- a few hiccups along the way- like when trimming the quilt before binding- she cut the back because it was folded up under where she was quilting. But we were bake to sew a patch on the back made out her bridesmaid dress from her friends wedding. The quilt was a gift for the friend. All in all a good day for Farmgirl quilting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  2:36:43 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (Mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I read The Book Of Awesome, every day I thought of something to be grateful for and kept a journal listing them out.

It came out great! I am very blessed and will continue my gratitude journal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  2:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (Mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I learned that paper quilling is also known as paper filigree and that it originated between the 13th and 15th centuries in England. Apparently there is some disagreement of when it actually started. Some say it started in the 13th century using feathers while it is believed by others it did not originate until the 15th century. What I found surprising is that the popularity of paper quilling declined when paper became more readily available. My grandparents have a quilled piece which hangs in their entry way and is about 65 years old. I have always thought it was really beautiful. The quilling is flowers and surrounds a copy of their wedding invitation.

I think my quilled flowers came out pretty nice. I found quilling to be very tedious and I think it is really hard to not use too much glue!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  2:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (Mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I was home sick and have a guide book to trees which I used to look into some of the trees growing around our home.

We have a large crabapple in our front yard which has beautiful pink blooms this time of year. I learned it is not native to Colorado. There are over 700 types of crabapple species and 200 of them are grown in North America.

We also have a huge cottonwood tree in our yard. It is a beautiful tree but my DH is allergic to it. I learned this tree is native to this area and is in the same family as poplars, which line the back of our yard. It is one of the largest kinds of hardwoods in North America.

Our neighbor has a dwarf Japanese maple, and it is no surprise, it is not native to this area. It is native to Japan, Korea, Mongolia and Russia.

I like learning about nature, and trees are no exception. I enjoyed looking through my tree book and learning about some of the trees around us. I didn't know that cottonwoods are considered hardwoods or that they are part of the poplar family!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  2:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Suzy Rhoades (disTizmoi, #6922) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have my six reusable bags in the trunk of my car all ready for the next shopping trip. I am committed to using these bags instead of plastic grocery bags. I'm planning on making and placing six bags in the truck too!

Ready and waiting to go!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  2:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Suzy Rhoades (disTizmoi, #6922) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by picking strawberries at a local strawberry farm. Some I sliced and froze in freezer bags. Others I froze whole on a cookie sheet then put in bags. I did the same thing with fresh blueberries my husband and I picked. My third produce item I froze was summer squash out of my garden. I sliced and blanched the squash before I put it in freezer bags.

I used some of the sliced strawberries to make jam after all the jam I made was eaten. The blueberries have become jam, pies and pancakes! The squash has been used in soup, stews, and cooked with butter, salt and pepper. Delicious!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  2:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I unplugged from this Friday till Tuesday. I worked on making one of those 'Fairy Gardens,' for indoors. I handmade the picket fence and gate, the ladybug bath, door, and the stained glass window (in the birdhouse hole).

I took a small solar light (recycled) and attached it to the back of the bird house. When the sun goes down; the birdhouse window lights up, revealing a mini stained glass window.

I like it, but I think the hardest part was waiting for things to dry!

I had leftover plants, so I made a 2nd Fairy Garden as a gift.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  3:05:28 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I went to the Library the next town over, and checked out the 'Smithsonian Handbooks: Trees'. The book is for identifying trees. I found the book to be very useful and easy to understand.

1. There is a big tree across the street from me, with very dark red/ purple leaves. I knew it was a plum tree (they are everywhere here!) but I did know what it was called. Turns out they are 'Nigra Cherry Plums.' I can tell you from experience that those plums are sour! Only kids eat them.

2. The tree in front of my building is a 'White Cloud Flowering Dogwood.' The apartment manager wanted to cut it down, but I stood in and saved it. I sometimes trim the tree in the winter, so the manager won't see it as a hassle and try to cut it down.

3. At my old house we had 2 apple trees, but I remember exactly what the flowers and leaves look like, so I looked them up. It's not a crabapple like I thought, but a 'Common Apple'.

None of these trees are native to my region.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  3:10:16 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“While shopping, I have been able to find better packaging for my products. Sometimes the same item will be in several different packages depending on the product and the provider.

Cleaners that are not toxic are also available with some forethought and planning. I especially like the alcohol or vinegar bases for cleaning glass.

You simply have to be aware and look for other options than the usual plastic looking bags which I am sure take forever to degrade.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  3:13:07 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“You have to make arrangements and planning to gather the items to be recycled and delivered to the proper areas, especially since we have no local recycling in our town. I take items that I can reuse or recycle with me when I make trips to other towns. Its difficult but there are some things that can be done with a little forethought.

I enjoy the idea of helping rid the land fills of some items that can be recycled.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  3:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“A couple of doors have been a bit more complicated with the shifting of the house but with a little elbow grease and a tug here and there, they've cooperated quite well. A little spray of oil has worked wonders. You just have to be persistent and diligent.

My door actually works well. We have had a little shifting of our home with the high winds and storms recently. But with care it can be a successful venture to set them to right!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  3:36:59 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level I Should Have Been in the Movies Merit Badge!

“I used this badge to do the work required. I gathered the manual with instructions for this badge. Comfortably sitting in front of a mirror and rehearsing the speech as if talking to someone. Smile! That is an important aspect of this badge. You must talk directly to the viewer and not just read notes. Make eye contact which can be hard to do at times.

Initially this badge was one I did not want to try but later I decided to give it a go. It worked out well. I learned the material for explaining it to someone else and looked directly into the mirror for eye contact! It worked out well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  3:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I have had the pleasure of working with many from the Spanish culture. They have a romantic language and also they have several taboos and beliefs that are unique to their culture. I learned some of these during my working years and also have some friends of that culture. I have learned a lot from the Spanish people. I also have a basic working language that I use while working with Spanish speaking people.

I think it is a wonderful thing to be able to speak in another language. It is also just as wonderful to speak in my own language. We all have backgrounds that are unique to ourselves and we should embrace that idea. My sister-in-law speaks 7 languages fluently while I speak 1.5. She has a linguistic gift while I do not, but I try!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  3:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“Jubilee-A special anniversary of an event especially one celebrating 25 or 50 years of a reign or activity!

The Queen of England celebrated her Diamond Jubilee with a world wide celebration. It involved several travels and visits to different sovereign states. A Tour of Realms!

A celebration of importance of 25 years of marriage was some time back for my husband and myself. We will celebrate our 50 wedding anniversary this September. I believe that is a very special event for anyone! Especially us!

It is a learning curve and a way to mark special events during a persons life time. This year we will celebrate 50 years of marriage and I am so very grateful for this and for the man I love. God has blessed us richly!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  3:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“Keeping a journal is a time consuming job but fun. I just completed reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. The sprouts are liked by only one member of my family but I do like to add them to sandwiches! My husband and son just look at me and then at each other! Oh well. Keeping hydrogenated oils out of our household is very difficult but over time I believe that they can be eliminated. It will take forever due to the fact they are in almost everything. It is an ongoing process! Reading the product labels has become a necessity not just a curiosity.

Its a work in progress but a worthy one. I like the idea of using vegetable oils but the one item I hate to give up is margarine! Go figure! Time will make it better.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  4:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“Figuring out the cost of meals was an eye opener! Some of ours are less per serving and some are much more costly. I guess that is true with everyone. On 03/20/2016 I skipped lunch for that day and donated the cost of that meal to the local food bank. I know they have a hard time due to the mailings we receive especially around the holidays. I say local but they are actually located in a nearby town. We live in a very small town and we do not have the luxury of these permanent facilities so we go to other sites within the county.

It never hurts to skip a meal and also to help others in need.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  4:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Apples Merit Badge!

“This was such a fun and learning merit badge to work on. Studying the history of apples I learned that they are from the Rose family. That really surprised me. I was not aware they needed cooling times also to set and ripen fruit the way the should. I keep reading about them and learned so much more. I do not have an apple orchard in this neck of the woods but I have several small trees that I planted 4 years ago and I am looking forward to harvesting them this year. Cooking, cider, fresh eating, and fragrance are just some of their uses. I tried 4 varieties from the store that I had not tried before and I find that there is definitely a difference in their textures, juiciness, and flavors. My favorite one is the Honeycrisp! It is really good. I have visited an apple orchard in the past in Washington state and was able to pick from that orchard and enjoyed that experience very much. Its a shame that we do not have them locally. We have pecan groves around this part of the country.

I learned a lot about the apple and the uses, types and preferences for them. I still have my favorites for fresh eating and for cooking. I found some I did not care for due to the texture of the flesh but there are enough types to suit anyone.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  4:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Farm Kitchen Merit Badge!

“Since we have only one person in our family with an allergy to one particular food, it is very simple to adjust any recipe that calls for it. We simply leave it out and substitute another fruit for the pineapple when my aunt visits us or we visit her. This is the simplest think we can do. If she is around pineapples, she swells up very badly so we avoid it at all costs when around her!

It is a pleasure to be able to help even one person to avoid an allergy attack. It is no fun to spend the day or days in a hospital trying to overcome a silly choice!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  3:34:40 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (FarmGirlQuilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“Jubilee- A yearly celebration of something special. (Def. in my own words)

Diamond Jubilee- celebration of Queen Elizabeth- she didn't tour all of the common wealth-she only toured the United Kingdom. Other family members toured the other Common Wealths.

Regular people celebrated by lighting beacons- throwing parties and helping others in Honor of the Queen.

For my own Jubilee celebration- I worked in my garden, ran a 5K in honor of my Army son, canned my husband's favorite Plum Jam, used my clothes line for all my laundry and re-organized my quilting studio.

It was a great day! Loved spending time doing things that reminded me of growing up and honoring my Army son. I celebrated my roots! The older I get the more I enjoy doing the things I learned growing up by living with my grandparents. Often times I find myself wishing I had paid better attention to the details.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page