Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  4:12:11 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“While learning about weather and doing research on highs, lows, atmosphere, pressure, barometers, wind formations, air masses, and fronts, I've discovered there is much I did not know. Knowing the levels of atmosphere and understanding the functions of each level in contributing to and causing the effects they do all combine to form our weather. I always knew the weathermen had a vast amount of knowledge but the understanding and forecasting aspect is really interesting! There is so much most of us do not know or understand. I have an appreciation of their knowledge and find their explanations on the weather reports more in depth than just surface understanding. Formations of tornadoes in this area is spectacular but when you break them down step by step they are really something to marvel at! I searched several web sites to find out definitions of such items for these requirements. I think you could be searching, learning and understanding more and more forever. There is so much information out there! Weather is an amazing thing to behold. Just look at the next front that comes through and watch what it brings with it. Wind, rain, thunder and lightning and so much more!

It is really an eye opener when you look into this subject. Weather is beautiful, scary and mesmerizing all at the same time. I love sunsets and thunderstorms but lightening still unnerves me a little even though it is beautiful to watch.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  4:15:10 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“Goals: Walk Every Day for 1 month! This part is done, however, I'm still at it and that's a good thing! Walking on the highway is too dangerous so I walk in the yard and in the pastures around our home! When we go shopping, I park way out from the store and "hike" to where ever I'm going! That keeps the legs going! I like it.

Recently I have sustained a knee injury so that has slowed me down a bit but with the assistance of a brace I keep at it! Hope it heals quickly.

Walking is good for the health and I enjoy it very much. I do not like running any more but I used to do that a lot also.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  4:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“Rhythm - Patterned recurrences of a beat!
Melody - Rhythmical succession of single meter.
Harmony - Use of simultaneous tones and notes or chords.

I've applied these sections to country, New Age, and Jazz songs during this time and identified them respectively. I enjoy a wide variety of music and find these sections easy to identify in them all.

Simply listening to music and then catching the parts of each is a real blessing. I enjoy most of the music out there but not all. Its taste I suppose!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  4:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Relaxation and/or meditation is good for the soul. Everyone could benefit from this but we are generally always too rushed to "slow down." I use the time I work on the Merit Badges to relax and then meditate before moving on to other activities! I like to sit in the floor and do my research on the web. Sometimes I forget to write down the information I need and have to go back over it again. But all in all, it's fun! Also after a busy day with my grandson, I enjoy reading my Bible and other reading material to relax!

The Merit Badges require a bit of doing but it slows me down and I enjoy doing the work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  4:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“Nursing Memorabilia.

In my collection I have a couple of items that are quite rare now. One is a glass urine specimen bottle. We used them years ago during testing for various medical problems. Mine is one that I found left over from the days before we got rid of all of them. It has been sterilized and has not seen use for 35 years! It is embossed with "Urine Specimen Bottle" onside and "Ounces/CC" measurements on the other side. On the bottom is embossed "Professional Specialties Co." In a box is "Profex", under that a "P" inside a circle and below that is the number "5". I cannot locate a manufacturing date anywhere, but it remains a cool collection piece! Most people go "yuck" when they see it and ask what it was used for! But for a nurse, well just let me say that most things do not bother us! My second piece is a "glass delee" used circa 1920's to 1960's. One end was placed in the Doctor's or Nurse's mouth and the pointed (blunt) end was placed in the baby's nose and mouth for suctioning out mucus which collected in a centrally located bubble! Not very appealing but effective! It is a rare vintage delee glass mucus trap for newborn babies. Nothing like this exists today and we still have delees but they are a totally different type! There are absolutely no markings on this delee so identification of mfg. or date made are impossible.

I find my nursing items to be quite unique and I always have fun looking at them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  4:28:06 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level 'Out There' Women Merit Badge!

“I put together a little survival pack and it's great to throw into the car when going out, you just never know when some items will come in handy.

As for the plants, this is what I found:

Poison Ivy - Poison "leaves of 3, let it be".
Mistle toe - Poison - do not eat this one its very dangerous to children who put everything into their mouths.
Sumack - Poison - It will break you out like poison ivy and it can take weeks to heal from the rash, drainage and itching.
Black berry vines - food - These grow wild around here and are a good source of eating if you beat the birds to them.
Muskadine grape vines - food - this makes great jelly!
"Bull Nettles" - poison - Pretty flowers but Oh my gosh the nettles (stingers) are awful. We have a small batch just outside our gate.
Polk salad - Poison and Food - The berries are poison but the leaves can be boiled and eaten
Cedar - poison - used for lumber and moth control
Buttercup flowers- poison and medical use - Anti rheumatism, anti pyretic in Asia. Poison if eaten fresh.

Never know what you will find out about the world of plants and trees we normally ignore and just take for granted.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  2:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (Farmgirlquilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“I have been friends with a local farming family for over 30 years. They recently lost their oldest son due to complications from injuries that he received while working on the family farm many years ago. My husband and I worked alongside Mr. Y to see the process that he follows for running their U-Pick crops.

I learned a lot about what it takes to make this a successful venture for the farmer and the consumer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  2:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (Farmgirlquilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant it Forward Merit Badge!

“I planted an extra row of onions this year to give to the food bank at our church and to my neighbors.

It was fun being able to share with others what I grew myself. It was different than buying food and donating it. Next year I hope to be able to plant a whole section to donate.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  2:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay842 , #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“My passion antiques, one of my favorites is my Chambers stove. The one I have was made sometime between 1949 and 1952 in Shelbyville, Indiana. People are passionate about these jewels, so information on them is easy to find. Mine was my mother’s before she came to me and she is a Deluxe Model C Style 90 in pastel yellow! It has 3 burners, a deep well for soups, stews or baking, a griddle and broiler. The oven(s) are so heat efficient that I can turn them off ¼ to ½ thru cooking and everything comes out perfect.

I love my Chambers and will always have her.

I'm sorry I can't get the photo to upload- I really want to show her off.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  2:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay842 , #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I inherited a partial set of Franciscan dinner ware in the desert rose pattern. I have since added the serving pieces as I can locate them. I haven’t been able to locate any pieces locally, I purchased some pieces online and I’m always on the lookout for additional unique pieces. All of my collection was made in the USA. I keep finding pieces that are from Portugal.

As far as value, the prices I find are all over the place. For instance I found a gravy boat in excellent condition for $9.00 and have seen the same piece for as much as $40.00. I have a total of 62 pieces.

My wish list contains pickle dish, three tier platter, egg cups and the crescent salad plates.

I'm not in any hurry to grow my collection. The happy surprises of finding a piece when you lest expect it are the best!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  2:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay842 , #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I keep my antique Franciscan collection safely tucked away in a chine cabinet, I also store my collection of cordial glasses in there (that I have been collecting since I was in my 20's). I have two small built-in display cabinets that house small vintage crocks, a glass hand crank butter churn and various kitchen implements. All are estate sale and flea market finds.

My favorites are the butter churn and a 1954 Art Deco Toaster (that sets on the kitchen counter) - and works perfectly

My collections are safe from dust and accidental damage but also on display. As they should be, why have them if you can’t admire and use them?”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  3:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“My snap peas are about 5"-6" tall, so they are ready to climb! I didn't have a big choice in materials, so I grabbed 3 bamboo poles, some string, and my Buck knife and made a trellis. Then I carefully wove the plants into the string, and used sticks to support them until they start climbing. The trellis looks small but it's about 6' tall.

The garden doesn't have enough space for pole beans, so I can't make a pole bean teepee. I'm growing bush beans instead.

This was my first time making a trellis for snap peas, we used to use tomato cages.

Funny story; we used to grow cucumbers in a flower bed by the front door (technically a cucumber bed?). We would put sticks from the ground to the iron guardrail, then tie strings from the guardrail to the eves of the roof! The cucumbers would climb almost to the roof! Not only did it provide shade, but it was an easy walk if you wanted to pick a cucumber.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  3:13:12 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Connecting Growers & Eaters Merit Badge!

“I rented a garden bed in the community garden this April. I took my neighbor to the community garden and showed her around. She then decided that she was going to rent a bed for herself. She picked out some seeds and was so excited to go and rent a bed. However, she is in her 90's and has breathing trouble, so her doctor told her it was a bad idea.

She had been so excited to have vegetables. So I made her an offer; she can rent the bed but I would take care of it for her, and bring her the vegetables. She rented a bed next to mine, so I went and turned the dirt (by hand) and planted her bed for her. I'll be working her bed along with mine for the whole season.

I'm sure it's going to be rough. But it's going to make her happy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  3:19:13 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I researched using trees as a windbreaker. I knew about this because my town is really big on having trees, plus we are literally surrounded by them! I knew they provided shade for your house in the summer, but only just realized they block winter wind from hitting your house. I guess I knew, but I hadn't really thought about it.

I went to the local park and collected some sample branches, because it was setting to rain that day. There were only 2 types of trees there, so I plucked a couple of trees on the way home too.

At the park-
Myrtle Wood (Lauraceae): it's a rare species that only grows in our area. It smells just like bay leaves but has a stronger smell and flavor. Maybe I'll get my foraging for food badge with this one? I'm holding it in the picture.

Alpine Fir: it's native.

On the way home-
Red-bud Maple: Even though these trees are everywhere here, they are native to Asia.

American Arborvitae (aka White Cedar): it's native.

The white cedar was tricky, but what surprised me was that the Myrtle Wood tree only occupied 2 pages in the whole book, despite having over 2,000 species. Also you couldn't find it under 'Myrtle'.

I also learned that you can cook with the leaves.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  3:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“This is a tough one. I only have $100 a month for groceries, so that's roughly $3.20 a day. Luckily I don't have more than one mouth to feed.

The merit badge requires that I skip a meal and donate the money to my local food bank. That's only $1.00, which feels like spitting on a forest fire. So instead I took a day's worth of food from my pantry and gave it to the food bank.

It's tough to give away what you don't really have. But I've done it before and can do it again. I've never had to go to a food bank myself, so I'm not starving.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  3:37:04 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I have 1 beasty girl (Cat) named Abby. I switched from my local veterinarian to one the next town over, for various reasons. I couldn't find any Holistic veterinarians anywhere near me, but I'm happy with the one I have now. He's very thorough on checking everything, not just what's wrong, and he doesn't give unnecessary medications.

Abby is technically a barn cat, but she's so tame that I call her a woodshed cat. She's very friendly and housebroken, but she prefers to live outside only. She is provided with outside shelter! She was born with a funny jaw, she can eat dry food and shredded wet food, but not patè for some reason.

I switched her dry food to a no corn, soy or wheat type, but all of the natural wet foods are patè! If I can find a good shredded food, I'll switch her to it.

Switching her dry food was easy, but expensive. Finding wet food she can eat is very frustrating still, and I don't have the money to make my own.

I have had people tell me to just get rid of her, since she isn't an indoor pet. Really. But she is so attached to me (follows me like a dog), I refuse to abandon her. I made the commitment to take care of her, and that's what I intend to do. How's that for pampered?”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  3:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I try to eat food that is grown in our garden on our farm. I also have sheep that we are going to butcher in the fall. I have started walking each day. I want to try to work up to a half marathon one day.

Eating food from my garden has saved money plus I know what has been put on it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I researched how stress affects a persons body. I learned that prolonged stress can interfere with sleep and cause insomnia. Stress causes you to breathe faster so you can take in more oxygen. Stress hormones make your heart pump faster so that blood can reach vital organs. It also can constrict blood cells which can cause high blood pressure. Over time, stress can take a toll on your heart, raising the risk of heart attacks. Stress can cause stomach problems and it can also cause muscles to tense up.

I take a walk each evening. I also sit outside and watch all the animals on our farm. I find this really relaxing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  4:01:53 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I take a walk each evening. I also sit outside and watch all the animals on our farm. I find this really relaxing.

I feel a lot more relaxed since I started doing this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  4:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level "Out There" Women Merit Badge!

“I made a survival pack to take when I go hiking. I used a small back pack to hold matches in a waterproof container, a whistle, a mirror, a rainproof poncho, a first aid kit, a reflective nylon cord, and a knife. I also made trail mix and took it with me when I went hiking.

I did not need to use anything in my survival pack but I know I am ready if I do need it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  4:09:44 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks & Minerals Merit Badge!

“I found this topic to be very interesting!

Minerals are naturally occurring, inorganic solid with a definite chemical composition and a crystalline structure formed by geological processes!

Rocks are an aggregate of 1 or more minerals and may also include organic remains and mineral kids!

The rock types are Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic! Reading about them was interesting on line! There is a lot of information in them!

Uses are very wide also, metals, petroleum, salt, glass, ceramics, chalk, medicines, talc and jewelry to name a few!

It's good reading about the subjects the merit badges offer! Also it is a good way to maneuver thru the Internet! Sometimes I go back to the encyclopedias just for fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  4:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“The Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual gives the hunter all the information he or she needs to legally take allowable game. The seasons are gives by type of animal, sex, allowable numbers that can be harvested. It also gives this information county by county. It's a great guide and changes every year. This guide covers all game within the state.

Safe handling of game includes proper field dressing, temperatures for cooling your meat and equipment needed for dressing the meat.

Seasons for taking deer, turkey, quail etc are strictly enforced. The game wardens are no nonsense individuals! They are serious about protecting the game. Hunters are aware of conservation of game also. I dress the meat we take each year and prepare delicious meals from it also!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 31 2016 :  4:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“We have a wide variety of native trees around us and some that are not native. We have cedar, cedar elm, locust and mesquite here around our home. A little further away we have pecan trees. I also have non native Apple, apricot and figs that I have planted! We also set out a mulberry tree and a native Texas lilac. Trees are easier to classify than flowers. The guide books help a lot!

I enjoy all the trees around us. They are really pretty in early spring when they first start to bud out, The cedars are scruffy however.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  4:12:09 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (Farm Girl Quilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“My quilting has turned into a passion. When I bought my long arm machine in January I began dreaming of owning my own business. I started researching all the ins and outs- plus/minuses of starting it etc. I ordered a how to start a quilt business brochure and from there it kind of snowballed. My ultimate dream would be to combine it with a sewing/fabric store - even have my dream placed picked out - but realistically my town could not support one. So from my business plan to reality came "Farm Girl Quilting." (the neat thing is that is how I found MaryJanesFarm -- it popped up in my search engine when I was searching domains to make sure no one had the name Farm Girl Quilting)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  4:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Angie Gordon (Farm Girl Quilting, #6966) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“After much discussion I decided to make Farm Girl Quilting more than a dream - in April I went and got my business license, applied for a sales tax number and ordered my business cards.

I could not believe how quickly it all came together - I think the reason was because I put so much time into the research and knew exactly how to make it happen.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page