Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  4:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“This is a fun way of dispensing those plastic bags! I have obtained 6 HEB reusable bags! I love the red color and they keep foods cold on the hour long trip from the store to home! Everything else fits nicely into them also!

The bags should last a long time for many trips to the store! I love them!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  4:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Checking with city office there is not any recycling in our area. However, in a town 13 miles away, cans can be donated/recycled for church youth! Also there is a recycling clothing shop, which is open one day a week, and I have taken things there!

Being able to donate clothing for a good cause is great! Also I donated several purses that are no longer in use! The cans can be dropped off at any time!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  4:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“WOW! This one was an eye opener! Even with a good vocabulary, I simply looked in the dictionary and randomly selected a word. If I knew the word my finger landed on, I'd simply flip pages, point and select another word! Some of the ones I landed on were weird and not really easy to use daily! But I did get some funny looks by using them! They caused some raised eye brows and some interesting conversations. As for the texting and grammar, I did not abbreviate or use the social media jargon that's out there. It only takes a couple of seconds to do it correctly! This is an educational and fun badge to work on.

This badge is educational and fun. The texting was done with dignity and all words spelled out like they should be. I enjoyed this one very much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  4:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“This badge is and was a trip down memory lane! I visited 3 sites, #1 was the Morton Salt Museum in Grand Saline, TX. Many of our family members worked in the Salt Mine. It provided a good livelihood to them. The mine was open to public tours but unfortunately I was not able to see it due to the closing of the tours many years ago! #2 was the Train Depot in Grand Saline, Texas and in years past this depot saw several of our family travel to and from it. Dallas was just a few hours away! However, now it serves as a place for gatherings rather than travel. The train still runs by the depot but only for freight. #3 was the Woodside Cemetery. The memories run rampant here. Its our family members final resting place alone with so many others from the area. When we gather there, we never fail to recall the others who gave gone on before us! It's both sad and refreshing to have these memories!

This was a really good trip to visit the 3 areas. Many of our family stories revolve around one or another of them! Its good to have something to look back on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  4:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“On 3/14/2016 and 3/15/2016 we visited with Wanda! (yep we are both named Wanda). She is a wealth of family information and I've tried to get it all down as she tells her memories. We spent about 15 hours just talking while we were with her for the 2 days. We talked about family and then she introduced us to a second cousin that we had never met before! We don't live that close. Wanda is so very important to many of our family!

Wanda is a brilliant multi tasked person, and an interesting and diverse conversationalist. She's the last remaining sibling of 6! We had a great visit and are looking forward to another in the not too distant future!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  4:31:22 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“On 3/8/2016 and 3/11/2016 I had nice hour long phone calls with Wanda (yes, we are both named Wanda). We usually talk about family and current events in our lives. She is a wealth of information. Then on 3/14/2016 and 3/15/2016 we were able to visit and spend time talking about our family. We spent time also visiting with a second cousin and his family that we had never met before! Wanda knows so many of the cousins in and around the area, it's amazing! Wanda is always willing to discuss family! It's like talking with living history!

We enjoyed out visit with Wanda very much. Always glad to see her again. We now know another relative that we had not known before! It is good to have someone that you can talk with about family and learn so much more when you really take the time to listen!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  4:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Charity Van Ausdle (#6821) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I have been learning to knit, and finished my first project. I love it, you can sit to watch an hour TV show and knit while its going.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  2:04:42 PM  Show Profile
Connie Bergstrom (Gypsyjewelcb, #6861) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Basil- cramps,colds fevers flu headaches nausea vomiting
Rosemary- eczema migraines stomach ailments high blood pressure open sores
Parsley- bad breath sciatica gout thyroid aids digestion
Thyme - appetite suppressant, bronchitis fevers
Lavender sleep inducer High blood pressure.

Even though I plant a herb garden every year i never fully knew how good they where for you.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  2:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Connie Bergstrom (Gypsyjewelcb, #6861) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I started my yearly herb garden. This year I did it a little different using one of my ducks old swimming pools.

So far it has been great. We had a little cold snap and it hurt my Basil a bit but its holding strong. I have also planted chives that were left from last year.

Rosemary, parsley, dill, thyme, lavender, sage, and mint.
I have already robbed them to as well, I love cooking with my herbs. I put them in a bakeover. I have rearranged the herbs since the pictures. I was waiting for my tiller to get fixed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  2:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Connie Bergstrom (Gypsyjewelcb, #6861) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have (re)located my reuseable shopping bags. Replaced some of my favorite ones that I ordered from Junk Gypsy. I absolutely hate plastic bags. They drive me crazy. Everyone I know seems to have a surplus of them. I am glad I have found these again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  2:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Wendie George (#6918) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFO's Merit Badge!

“This is a great badge to earn. It's a real feel gooder. It feels great to finish a project that has been nagging at you.

The first part was a bit intimidating. Organizing and putting all my UFOs each into their own container or bag was a bit of work. It has started the whole process of cleaning and reorganizing my entire craft room! This is also a good thing. I purchased a bunch of clear plastic totes and placed one project into a tote/boxes. I then made the list of any supplies stile needed to finish it and put the list inside the box on top of supplies. I had a bunch of chalk board sticker, so I put one on the front of each box and label the box with the project inside. While cleaning I also made a box labeled "donation" for projects I no longer had interest in doing.

The second part was to finish one of the UFOs.I chose to finish a baby quilt for a coworker which I started about a month ago. The quilt top was pieced together but that's as far as I had gotten.

I feel I have succeeded in bagging and tagging all my UFOs. I also made a quick list of them all so I could start to cross it off. I am not going to admit the total number of UFOs on the list. I will just steadily work at finishing them while not creating more. I mail the box of donation items today, to my Aunt. She is heavily involved with the church and many other quilters and aspiring quilters. I will let her spread out the projects to others who are willing to complete them (most were never started).

I started to finish the quilt by sandwiching the top to the cotton batting with a teal minky backing. I chose a quick method of quilting the layers together, stitch in the ditch. I used my machine for this. I added the pieced binding on to the front by machine, and hand quilted it to the back. The final step to complete the quilt was to embroider a tag for the back. I have a Viking machine that kindly embroiders the words for me. I then hand sewed the tag onto the back :) One UFO down, a "few" to go!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  2:36:08 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level UFO's Merit Badge!

“I generally am pretty good at being motivated to finish projects so I don’t, too often, need to ask someone to help me get going.

In finishing up one embroidery project I found another one in my project case that I had in my UFO pile to do for our glamper trailer. Since I was going to visit my daughter, who is also my glamper partner, I took the projects and worked on it with her around to cheer me on and offer input. It is a “Happy Camper” design that I made into a flag to use with our glamper trailer to hang out when we’re set up. I used super muslin and Battenburg lace that matches other things our the glamper to sew it together and trimmed/embellished with ribbon and buttons.

The other project I found has been sitting for a long time. I had purchased a cross-stitch bookmark kit with a Scottish thistle design while on a trip to Scotland. When I unearthed the kit I thought, “Oh, wow, this has been a UFO for a long time”. Even though it was only a bookmark, the design is pretty intricate and on small aida cloth. I chose to make some changes in the design and in the completion of putting it together as I wasn’t liking some of the finishing instructions. I REALLY like how it turned out and I believe it will be a gift for my daughter
Pictures of both projects are posted in the “UFO” thread in Stitching and Crafting.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?whichpage=16&TOPIC_ID=71440#887879

These projects did take the minimum required time involvement to complete, even though they aren’t huge projects. I love having them finished and will enjoy the flag while glamping this summer. I’m also pretty certain my daughter will really like the bookmark!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  2:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“After reading the requirements I looked around and discovered the Back door and Laundry room door needed a bit of oiling! They now do not squeak when opened. I still was on a roll and went outside to look at my truck! That driver side door really got a going over and now is also is fine and dandy!

I do not own any bikes but I thought my truck would be a great option!

The garden tools are in an ongoing use now but after each use they are getting a work over. Its great to know that this will prolong their lives.

My doors all open without groans! And my tools have never looked better! Thanks for the suggestions!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  2:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“This badge gave me the encouragement to get into the cabinet and really sort things out. I had a good time in matching all the storage containers to their proper lids and discarding the ones without them. I also discarded the lids without any bottoms! They just seem to appear! Now my container area is much neater and I can actually use them as needed.

The excess has been eliminated and the appropriate containers are now usable.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  2:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I have now collected from various family members and also from my own stash the recipes from my grandmother and from my mother-in-law. I have also added one from my dear aunt! I have also been able to write down a few that were just word of mouth!

It is so enlightening to look back on the way our family members cooked and what they put together for their families! Some of them were very special, like my grandmothers fudge recipe! She gave me the ingredients and then simply said for the directions "You just do it"! That was amazing! I'm glad I was actually able to see her make this dish a couple of times in the past or I would never have been able to complete it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  2:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“By researching on the About Health site, I learned that about 90% of all food allergies are related to 8 foods: Milk, Soy, Egg, Wheat, Peanut, Tree nuts, Fish and Shellfish.

Any combination of any of these can cause from minor irritations to severe consequences!

As far as family is concerned we are a fortunate one! Aside from the occasional seasonal allergy (sniffles, etc) we do not have allergies. That is with the exception of one person! That Aunt is very allergic to several things but only one food source. I take special care to never have that food around her!

The common food allergens can be very bad for many people. We are fortunate! However, even one allergy opens the door to possibly others! My Aunt is also allergic to several medications! That can prove to be a problem also. Care and concern are needed in all things!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  3:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“The native birds in this part of Texas are the Crow, Buzzard, Dove, Finch and the Red bird! The are the most common in this area.

As for the ones in the wild I enjoy seeing are mostly migratory: Blue birds, Wax Wings, Robins, Hummingbirds, and the Bob White Quail!

We live on the fringe of the migratory patterns so some of the birds are only spotted some of the time. The Wax Wings are really pretty with their bright yellow tail trimmings but they were only here for about a week then gone. I wish we had the Bob White Quail here but I have not seen one or even heard one for such a long time. Seems the fire ants have caused them damage. We also have the Rio Grand Turkeys in this area but they can be quite elusive! They are beautiful in the strut!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  3:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“Root Vegetables are the fleshy enlarged root or bottom end (under ground) part of a plant used as a vegetable.

Carrot
Potato
Sweet potato
yam
Radish

All of my list of root vegetables to be grown in this area are also found in the grocery. I found at least 11 available there. As it turns out some of them are labeled from Mexico or other foreign countries in South America. However, at a second store I frequent, I found that their produce is mostly from the USA. I am very glad of that!

It is good to know where the food we purchase comes from. Its a quick peak to learn so much! Its also fun to see just what other varieties are available from each of the stored I shop at.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  3:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Suzy Rhoades (disTizmoi, #6922) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I bought a book called Leisure Arts 10-20-30 minutes to learn to knit, and started at the beginning! They have online videos for every pattern in the book. It was very helpful! I started out making a scarf (of course!).

I think it turned out really well! I’m not a huge fan of the yarn color I used but the scarf is very warm. I made it a lot wider than the book said by casting on more loops so the scarf folds up on its self. I did this hoping that it would cut the wind which it does very nicely.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  3:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Charity Van Ausdle (#6821) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“Mexico
Here are a couple websites that give a good over view. I didn't think you wanted a first draft for a book.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Mexico
http://www.everyculture.com/Ma-Ni/Mexico.html
Spanish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Spanish_language
Researching the language isn't half as fun an exploring the culture, espeaicaly the food!

Hello Hola
Bye Adios
Como estas How are you
Good morning Buenos dias
Good afternoon Buenas tardes
Good night Buenas noches

1 – uno
2 – dos
3 – tres
4 – cuatro
5 – cinco
6 – seis
7 – siete
8 – ocho
9 – nueve
10 – diez

I have a large Spanish community in my town, so I have already started language lessons with an awesome app called Duolingo, I love it. When you ask for the date I stated, it was before I was a member and I'll keep going for a long time there is just so many interesting things to learn.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  3:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Charity Van Ausdle (#6821) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I check all the taps in and out of the house. No leaks! Yay!

And here's my research:
Check your toilets for leaks
Put a little food coloring in your toilet tank. If, without flushing, the color begins to appear in the bowl within 30 minutes, you have a leak.

Take shorter showers.
One way to cut down on water use is to turn off the shower after soaping up, then turn it back on to rinse.

Turn off the water after you wet your toothbrush.

Use your dishwasher and clothes washer for only full loads.

Don't let the faucet run while you clean vegetables. Just rinse them in a stoppered sink or a pan of clean water.

Cook food in as little water as possible. This also helps it retain more nutrients.

Keep a bottle of drinking water in the fridge. Running tap water to cool it off for drinking water is wasteful.

Put a layer of mulch around trees and plants. Mulch will slow evaporation of moisture while discouraging weed growth.

Water during the early parts of the day; avoid watering when it's windy. Early watering, and late watering, also reduce water loss to evaporation.

Use a broom, not a hose, to clean driveways and sidewalks.

When washing your hands, turn the water off while you lather.

Collect water from your roof by installing gutters and downspouts. Direct the runoff to plants and trees.

Don’t use running water to thaw food. For water efficiency and food safety, defrost food in the refrigerator.

Install aerators to cut in half the amount of water used by each faucet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  4:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Racht (guineahen, #6312) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I researched how energy is produced in our area and about sustainable energy and shared with the Wildflower Farmgirls.

Our region has been negatively impacted by coal fires that have been burning underground for decades and by the fracking controversy. We do have a large wind farm nearby and a huge man made lake built for hydroelectric power back in the 1920s. This lake changed the area from agriculture to tourism and drives the local economy. Solar power is only capable of supplying an estimated 12% of PA's power. I don't see an end to oil/gas dependence any time soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  4:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Linette Batterman (Linette, #6768) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I crocheted a dish cloth, using I love this cotton yarn from hobby lobby. I used a double crochet stitch. I have decided to teach myself by watching free videos on the internet. My grandma and mother both tried to teach me years ago and I just couldn't concentrate long enough to catch on. I do have your stitching room book ordered, however!

Learning to crochet, was fairly easy, now that I'm retired. I really need to work on my tension! And I "lost" a couple of stitches along the way, not sure where they went! Bug I now have the double crochet stitch down pat!! My project will make a usable dish cloth, need more practice to make an afghan or wearable project. This one needed to be started over several times.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  12:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Dana Manchan (tevschic, #562) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I put a bunch of reusable shopping bags in the back of my car and committed to using them wherever I shopped.

I often found myself standing at the checkout line remembering that I left the bags in the back of my car. So, I asked the checker to just put the items back in my cart without bags, and then I filled my bags when I got to the car. Now, I am in the habit of bringing them in, and I love using them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  1:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I collect a wide variety of items over the years. Butter dishes, Moo Cow Creamers, Fiesta Ware. But the one item I have been collecting for over twenty five years and still am. Is Cats Meow Village. Cats Meow village are collectible reproductions of actual buildings design to sit on doors or windows ledges. The first piece I got was of an Amish Barn. Than I started buying pieces that have a personal connection with things in my life or places I visited.

I have one of the hospital my son was born at. An another of the front gates to Parris Island where my daughter went to Marine Boot Camp.

Cats Meow has a Blog and a monthly newsletter. My Cats Meow is an on going collection that is always growing.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page