Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  5:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I dehydrated tomatoes, peppers (both sweet and hot) and multiple types of herbs. I also investigated different methods for drying produce. We generally use a dehydrator, though some of my herbs, I air dried. You can also sun dry, oven dry, or microwave dry. For my family, I made spaghetti, using frozen tomatoes, with dehydrated peppers and herbs.

Making spaghetti sauce is one of our favorite ways of using frozen tomatoes. When I pull them out of the freezer, I place them in a colander. As they thaw, a lot of the excess fluid drains out, which reduces the cooking time for the sauce.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  5:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I investigated the different methods for canning food - there is oven canning (I haven't tried this one yet!), water bath canning, and pressure canning. We have canned tomatoes, fruit products (sauces, preserves, jams, syrups, pie filling, and just sliced fruits), dried beans, green beans, and broths. I also made some beef jerkey in my dehydrator using grass fed brisket, as well as sharing about canning with the Henhouse.

For the dish using foods I had preserved, we made chili. I used both frozen and canned tomatoes, canned kidney beans, dehydrated peppers, and dehydrated herbs. It turned out scrumptious. I really want to try my hand at oven canning... I would like to learn to make gluten free pasta, that I dehydrate, and then oven can. Still working on this one though :)”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  4:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Corine Runnion (Corine, #6367) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I have driven around our area and have seen many breeds of horses there are many Quarter Horses, Fiords, Appaloosas, Belgians, and my favorite American Bashkir curly horses they are smart, most never need shoes, and have curly hair that sheds off in the summer.
Also have read the soul of a horse and found it very interesting and can relate.

I have helped several people in our area with there horses and it makes me miss having several to raise train, work in the fields, show and just for pleasure and the friendship that you develop with each other.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  4:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn Hartman Sullivan (#6318) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Recycled for an entire month (+), got my office recycling.

I have been recycling at home for many years. Over time it's hard NOT to become sort of a crusader. I work at a used automobile dealership with a couple of garage bays where we do light work on our own cars to get them road ready. The Boss has always been pretty good about having the guys knock down the big shipping boxes and stuff, but I felt that we were not doing a good job with everyday paper, and especially not with the plastics.

I set up paper boxes next to our desks for all the envelopes, etc., that might normally have gone into the wastebasket. We have been using old papers -- faxes, print-outs, etc. -- for note paper for ages. I set up two separate garbage bins out in the garage -- one for our paper, cans, bottles and plastics and the other ONLY for actual garbage. It has taken a little prompting, but the guys are much better about spotting what goes where now. The one guy who usually gets the job of hauling out the garbage and taking the bins to the recycling center has taken it upon him self to "police" the situation!

I kept noticing that there was so much stuff left at the recycling bins we use that really just did NOT belong there. There just seems to be a lot of confusion about what should and what should not go into the bins, so I contacted my local recycling provider and arranged for the county coordinator to speak at my Rotary Club next week. She says she is bringing hand-outs and "gimmes."

Hopefully a little more education will be helpful to all of us!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  4:28:08 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (glamping grandma, #5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“Although I have done photography for years, in doing these activities I learned some new and valuable things. I learned that when I put a large amount of wildflowers in the front of my (bottom) photo with the treeline and clouds smaller, that is called depth. I like it and do it often but now have a way to tell others what and why I am doing something, especially my granddaughter who is learning to enjoy photography also. I share photos of Facebook in albums, also pinterest, and email, chat room and blog for sisterhood, under Scattered Prairie Gals Hen House.

I liked the fact that I learned new terms. Even with having a digital camera, as most of us do now, I learned about framing, revisited the thirds rule, finding that I have a setting on my menu that divides my screen into nine squares (like a nine patch quilt), so you can get center and thirds also.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  4:36:07 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (glamping grandma, #5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“Library resources were great and I checked out five nice books. I enjoy many but my favorite is Ansel Adams. I like the black and white photos, so tried my hand at more of them during some of my camping trips. I have a list of ideas of photos I plan to take in black and white. I posted some on Facebook, email, and blog, and sent some to various farmgirls by email.

I liked what Ansel Adams says about photographs...."You don't take a photograph, you make it." Some of his that I really liked were his famous Oak Tree, and also Cow Being Milked, plus his photos of Teton Mountain Range, all in black and white, of course. I liked doing this badge level to learn about different photographers and why they like taking the kinds of photos they take.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  4:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (glamping grandma, #5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I took photos for my husband's annual gun shoot at our farm on Memorial Weekend. I also took photos at my granddaughter's ballet recital for family members in June, 2015. I made note cards for family members for gifts from some of my flower photos and trip to the zoo photos. I also use some of these note cards to send mail to farmgirls in MJF. I posted on chat about doing this badge and taking photos. My biggest tip is to get out there and get doing photography. The more you do the better you get and oh, the ideas that you can come up with. I read a book on digital photography and it was interesting to see the wonderful artwork and skills that many turn their photos into.

Using my photos to encourage people online, in chat room, pinterest and as gifts of note cards and those same types of cards I mail to people are all plus things from taking great photos, especially funny shots or shots of nature. People seem to like my floral photos or my glamping photos. I had a photo of large sunflower (close up) made onto a canvas by developer when they were half price. I enjoy the compliments on it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  4:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (glamping grandma, #5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“The library had The Book of Awesome and I did enjoy reading it. I had done gratitude journals before and had my clients do them when I worked as a counselor/therapist at a woman's prison in our area. Doing a new month long gratitude journal was enjoyable as it makes one know how very much they have to be thankful for. I am thankful for the fun I am having glamping and blogging and doing Mary Jane Farm chatroom and badges. Thanks for the wonderful magazine also.

I have continued doing a journal plus gratitude in it also. I encouraged my Bible Study group to do one and one person said she has started one. I also posted things to be thankful for on my facebook often during the time of doing this badge, but still continue to do so. I find many negative and foolish things on facebook, so in my small way, I try to make mine, well, mine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  4:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (glamping grandma, #5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“My letter was email form to staff at cancer center in my town, and also to military people I know, and also to a friend that works for our ambulance service. I also go to church with this last person and he is on my Facebook so I often post things about being gratify for all of these people on Facebook. I did not ask editor of our little local paper to do a gratitude section as they already do, but wrote to her about things to be grateful for in our little rural community. I finished The Book of Awesome in the first section. It was enjoyable.

The Book of Awesome is encouraging and I recommended it to others. I did not get my letter in the paper, but at least it was sent. Emails posted got some replies. People do appreciate it when you tell them you appreciate them. Thanks for this merit badge idea.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  4:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (glamping grandma, #5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I did an open letter of appreciation on my blog. I wrote note cards to all of the ladies on my Scattered Prairie Gals Hen House list with note cards I made from my photos. I wrote to friends and relatives also and some neighbors and even a few storekeepers of places I often frequent. I had already finished the book reading. I think I did this a bit backwards as I did writings and letters and reading finished before the others, but I enjoyed doing it just the same.

This is a good quality for everyone to demonstrate. It is important to teach our new generations about being thankful instead of always just wanting more. I enjoyed spending time glamping with my granddaughter, who seemed to appreciate just being with me and taking photos and taking walks with my Daisy Mae Foxhound. She also liked s'mores over the campfire this early spring while camping.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  4:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Joan Hendrix (#6465) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“My husband and I built a chicken coop this past spring. We attended city council meetings to change the ordinance so we would not violate the "one chicken rule!" I June I became "mom" to 4 month-old chicks. I've read four books and planted herbs with the idea of fortifying the chicken's diet with them. No chemical fertilizers or pesticides anywhere, although I have not been able to buy organic Grower feed locally. I have spotted organic Layer feed, so will be moving to that.

Well, the jury is still out since they haven't started laying yet, but so far none of them are crowing!

The day the guy delivered them he called me to say one of his died. One of mine died later that day. Cocci! He didn't realize any were sick. The next day he brought me medicine to put in their water. Another one died and one more was sick. I spent all day with that one (Pansy), making sure she drank a lot of the medicated water, plus some of my homemade yogurt, minced oregano, garlic powder, and a few of the grower crumbles. That evening she seemed stable so I let her sleep with her one remaining sister in the coop. She survived and is my sweetest lap chicken! All has been good since!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  3:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca White (Beccalou2, #6430) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Recycling in my area consists of curb side and recycle centers. Curb side- paper, magazines, glass, plastic, boxes, peanuts (white packing) Aluminum of any kind. There are two bins, one for all paper products and they can not get wet, and the second for everything else.

The recycle centers take all the above, plus yard debris (they turn it into free mulch), oil, electronics, old gas and tires and batteries. They have a drive thru for everything except the yard debris. That is a separate area But in the drive thru, they will even help you unload what you bring in.

They even have special days for bringing in old paint cans and old aerosol paints.

I have participated in both the curb side recycle and the recycle centers. I have taken old electronics, oils, and gas to the centers along with old tires and paints.

Every week I place items in the correct bins on garbage day to be recycled Paper products in one and everything else in the other.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  3:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca White (Beccalou2, #6430) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I placed a large Laundry basket in the kitchen which I use to throw everything that can be recycled into. This includes paper, plastic containers, glass Aluminum foil and magazines. Then every week the night before trash is collected, I sort it out into the city's recycle bins. We have two, one for all the paper and one for glass, plastic and everything else. I also include any shipping boxes into the paper bin.

This works well for me, since the basket is right in the kitchen. I can just toss everything in instead of making numerous trips to the garage. Then the night before I just have to make one trip to the garage and sort everything out into the correct bin.
(all food, except meats is saved for the compost bin)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  3:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca White (Beccalou2, #6430) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been practicing recycling for more than a month. Everything that can be recycled in the house is either done curbside or I plan a trip to one of the recycle centers here in town.

I recycle all paper,(newspaper, scrap paper, magazines, cardboard boxes, and corrugated boxes) Glass, plastic, and Aluminum here at the house.

I have taken used oil, and old gas out to the recycle center this month.

I have several neighbors that also recycle and I have fliers printed by the city that i hand to the college students that rent the house across from me every semester to let them know what is expected of them in recycling and how to dispose of garbage.

I wish that the recycle centers were a little closer to town, but other then that, it is not a problem to recycle items that would otherwise end up in the landfill. I like knowing that I am doing my part to help keep my city a cleaner, prettier town by recycling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  3:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca White (Beccalou2, #6430) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I picked out a beautiful pattern for my apron. It has a nice big ruffle that I loved and a nice roomy pocket right in the middle. I worked on sewing this apron, and really had no problems except for turning the ties right side out. I believe that I spent about 4 hours on this project from start to finish.

I wore this apron down to a friends house when we were doing some artwork.

I love it, it is such a summery look because the fabric has an old house, with lemons and lemon pie on it. just reminds me of the deep south, where I live. I got lots of compliments on it when I wore it as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  3:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I went through the house - removed all cleaners and replaced with "green" products.

I discussed with the family that there will be no additional chemicals coming into the house.

Shared all recipes and steps needed to create and use "only green" products and shared with our farm girl chapter.

Made samples and gave to friends, family and part of our chapter group.

I think family is coming around to the "green" idea. They ask what products they should use for "what job," Recipes are well used - friends and family ask for new recipes/ideas... and are receptive to receiving them without asking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  3:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have made and continue to use and love my own laundry detergent!
I learned to make soaps ... I make all my own cleaners and I have shared all recipes that I have found work amazing so that others can benefit from this too!

Great! I enjoy taking the time to make my own products and learning new ones!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  3:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Collected reusable bags from local markets that I shop at and use them on my shopping trips.

I have learned that I definitely need more bags and also would like to get a variety of sizes. Otherwise, they work out great. The Keep cold bags do a great job at keeping things cold/frozen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  3:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“When doing the Going green section I researched ways to make products that are non toxic ... I have continued to make these products and promote them to various family members, friends and even strangers!

I am very pleased with the products that I've been using and will continue to do so. I have found it easier to use the dry detergent and am pleased with the results. If I make the liquid - it seems that my family goes thru it quicker as they don't "get" that it's highly concentrated and it doesn't take as much.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  4:00:47 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I've checked my faucets and found no leaks. We have taken shorter showers ... I'm not sure of the exact volume of water saved in one week ... I couldn't always get my boys and husband to remember to help measure their amounts. I also take water that we have collected into a 5 gal. bucket and use it to water our trees and plants around the house.

My water bill has gone down from being over the "minimum" charge by twenty or more dollars to actually being the minimum charge! So I'm saving over twenty plus dollars a month now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  4:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have researched recycling. We do not have "curbside recycling" available to us. To recycle materials, We have to travel "over the mountain" - where paper, glass and magazines are collected in bins.

I have loaded up items and taken them over to the recycling area. I also call a local guy, that isn't as fortunate as others and give him appliances and various other items that he can turn in and get money for.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  4:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Since I know what I can take over to recycle from researching, I have found ways to be creative with those that can not be recycled.

It has turned out great! I have created a lot of craft items from soup, coffee - and other various cans. I've also kept jars that I have used to store items in my craft room, my camper and will use them in my Glamper as well! (once it's finished!)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  4:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I have taken all of Wilton's cake decorating classes in order to earn the badge.

I loved the classes so much. I also taught Wilton Method classes for two years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  4:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Danyel Treece (danyel, #4202) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“Took out all products from bathroom, kitchen and laundry room used for cleaning and replaced with "green" products. Discussed with the family the products they now had to use to get the job done. Kept a copy of the items now using and shared with others in the farmgirl chapter and any one else who would listen. Offered samples of the items currently using as well as the recipes for making there own.

Family has received the change well. They are pleased with how well the products work and are learning more about the harmful effects of commercial cleaners. They are quick to share with others and continue to pass the recipes along to others.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  4:31:27 PM  Show Profile
Danyel Treece (danyel, #4202) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“Currently enjoy making my own laundry detergent, soap and swapping jams for homemade soaps from other farmgirl sisters to dry different recipes. I currently make all cleaners for the home, including windows, floors, linens. Shared recipes and tips with others in farmgirl chapter meetings.

Well received, family helps to make many of the products, and love the results. Continue to share them with others because they are so impressed.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page