Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2015 :  4:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Cassidi Shingleton (farmchica2, #6478) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“So I decided to learn about Nezahualcoytl the "patron" if you will of the city I lived in while in Mexico.

I also speak Spanish Pretty fluently so I know most "key words and phrases" so as I am trying to better my Spanish in order to be able to work in translation I decided to keep a log of words I didn't know and then look them up and start using them.

I had always wanted to know more about Neza so it was fun to get to know more about him and why he was so important. It was kinda funny posting about him in the chatroom.

I also really enjoyed challenging my Spanish knowledge and looking for the gaps in my knowledge and filling them. It's really helped with the little translation work I do currently.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2015 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile
Miranda Strickland (missus miranda, #3535) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, & Expert Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“Well, I am actually applying for all three levels at once. It started with me doing a tune up with my husband and my mentor on my OLD truck ('04 Trailblazer) as well as the oil change.

But, Memorial day was a bad day for folks in my area. Several people lost their homes or businesses, or had damage. Others of us lost our vehicles. I was blessed, however, and a family friend traded me my Trailblazer (severe water damage and all) for a 1974 Chevy C10 pickup. Now, most would not call it a fair trade, but it really was. The truck is awesome!

I have been keeping an eye on fluid levels and gas mileage (which is how we figured out the carburetor needed a rebuild) and changed out a headlight, tail light lens, assisted in pulling spark plugs and, as I have an oil leak at the moment, I have been keeping an eye on my oil levels and refilling as needed. (New gaskets will be another project.)

Once I got it, we discovered I had a few more problems than originally anticipated. This included the Master Cylinder (which had been replaced less than a month prior to my taking the truck) blowing out. We pulled the cap off and found the front chamber empty. We pulled the back wheels off to check the brakes, but they were clean. My husband had me put the wheels back on (I'd never used an impact driver before ... it was fun!) and my mentor (the shop foreman at the shop where we got the truck) inspected the front brakes and all the connections. We determined that the system likely had not been bled properly before, and so the master cylinder blew, which meant getting a new one installed. I did not get to assist in that, but they walked me through the steps and even let me fill the old master cylinder with fluid to see if it was leaking. It wasn't after that, but it also wasn't working. I also sat in as they installed the new Morosa valve covers and the gasket material.

My third "expert" level project (plugs, brakes/wheels) was last Sunday at the shop, assisting my mentor with rebuilding the Quadrajet carburetor. I did the cleaning, part of tearing it down, part of reinstalling and listening/watching carefully as he explained everything that was wrong with it. He seemed very impressed with how much I understood!

The truck still needs a lot of work. New gaskets, all new wiring, new battery cables, new hood, new mirrors, etc. It's not truly finished, but these old vehicles are not cake walks.

I learned with my previous vehicle, however, that NO vehicle is a cake walk. Let me tell you, being 5'4" and trying to pull plugs from an Inline 6 is NOT an easy task.

I have discovered that I am actually pretty good at mechanic work and have been in school to be a motorcycle tech for a little over a year. With the experience I have gained over the past month and a half, I have decided to start looking for a job in the field!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2015 :  4:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Patti White (P.Ann, #4415) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“This Kansas City Star reproduction quilt patterns from the 1930's are a block of the month project that I started in 2013. When it was completed I entered it in the 2014 Kingman County Fair. Each block pattern challenged me with a different technique in cutting as well as assembly. I also chose to add piping to the binding on the reverse side to draw attention not only to the machine quilting design but also the label. Each monthly pattern came with the name of the pattern, date and a brief history and I wanted that to stay with the quilt. I typed the information and copied it to fabric/freezer paper that I ran through the printer. The sewn on part of the label became the pocket to hold the information. I currently teach quilting to all age levels in our local Boosters 4H Club.

I really enjoy this sampler quilt now that it is completed. It was not as easy to finish a block-a-month as I had thought! Because of the diverse blocks I did improve on my accuracy in piecing. I received a purple ribbon at the fair.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2015 :  4:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Marcia Neigebauer (marcian12, #5947) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I dreamed of owning a Bed and Breakfast. My dream came to being in 2013. I worked on marketing the Inn and have so many guests looking for rooms, that I than dreamed of buying the house next door to add rooms. I have found some financing in place for the short term. I am working on my expenses and marketing our Inn.

On Tuesday, July 14, we will be able to purchase the home next door and will need to work very fast to have rooms ready at the end of the month. I am very excited about the rooms we are already booking into the new addition. Our web site is www.delanoinn.com. We are also adding an apartment over the garage on the property next door.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  1:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Guevara (Ozark Farmgirl, #6511) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Pay it Forward Merit Badge!

“The first requirement for this badge was to find out how much money we spend per person, per meal. I took our weekly food budget amount and cut it in half (there are two of us here most of the time), then divided that number by seven (days of the week), and that number by three (meals per day). This gave me an average amount.

The second requirement was to skip one meal, either a lunch or dinner. I skipped lunch.

The third requirement was to donate the money saved by skipping a meal to my local food bank. I donated a case of boxes of oatmeal.

Skipping a meal for me usually means making up for it later. Missing a meal for someone food insecure means dealing with going to bed hungry. This challenge made me think about those who have to deal with hunger.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  2:19:55 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Guevara (Ozark Farmgirl, #6511) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge, I made yogurt, learning about keeping the milk sterile and the temperature correct, and having active culture to "seed" my yogurt.

My homemade yogurt was so much tastier and cheaper than store-bought, and so easy to make.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  2:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Judith Lickteig (forgetmenot, #3926) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I have researched many herbs for a common kitchen herb garden. I chose five for this report:

1. Basil: The leaves have a warm, spicy flavor: and, such a delicious smell. It can be used is sauces, salads (my favorite), omelets and with meat poultry and fish. It is also a basis for pesto.
2. Chives: Leaves have a mild onion flavor. They can be chopped and added to salads, egg and cheese dishes, sandwiches. The flowers are pretty in salads.
3. Coriander: Grind dry seeds to powder anbd dust over meats before cooking. Young leaves are known as cilantro. The roots can be frozen an used to flavor soups.
4. Dill: Both seeds and leaves have a sharp, slightly bitter taste. Dried or fresh leaves (dillweed) flavors fish, soups, salads, meat.
5. Thyme: Rub chopped leaves (fresh or dried into meats before baking. Sprinkle over eggs, cheese dishes vegetables, fish or poultry. Add to soups, stews, stuffings, and rice. Brew into tea with a little rosemary and mint.

I really enjoy using herbs. I learned something new about Coriander. I did not know that the young leaves or Coriander are known as cilantro. Go figure. I have grown cilantro along with parsley. I don't really care for cilantro as I think it has a soapy taste. Family members like it in salsa. I have ground coriander in my spice cabinet. If I had been more patient I would have had the seeds to grind myself. I do like coriander. I will grow cilantro again, mostly to use the whole plant now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  2:58:18 PM  Show Profile
Judith Lickteig (forgetmenot, #3926) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I have started a new herb garden this summer. Having been unable to care for my garden for the past 3 years I was able to rescue a few of my plants and purchased a few others as seedlings. I've always called my herb garden the "scratch and sniff" garden; and, have entertained and educated quite a few children including my own plus g-kids and now g-g-kids. I grow and harvest basil and sage.

I like to use fresh basil in salads and appetizers. One way we serve the fresh basil this summer is on toothpicks with cherry tomatoes and pearl mozzarella and pepperoni, marinated in a tangy dressing. We are using the fresh sage tucked with butter under the skin of a chicken for roasting. I also like to dry the sage for winter use. I hang a sprig on any unused I find throughout the house.

I have tried to freeze basil. I don't like to use it when it blackens. I discovered a few new ways to preserve the basil and will try those to keep it green. I plan to pack some in a jar with salt, and some in olive oil.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  3:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Judith Lickteig (forgetmenot, #3926) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“This year I am growing all my herbs in pots which I hope to move to raise beds next year. Three new herbs I am growing are borage, catnip and peppermint.

The borage flowers are beautiful! I've used the fresh flowers and new leaves in salads. Also, the flowers are a pretty blue and star shaped. I like freeze the flowers in ice cubes and add the cubes to lemonade or ice water. I've harvested some of the catmint for tea and for adding to cat toys. I'll try to add a picture of one I made. I plan to send a photo of a cat toy and the pattern to the Wildflower Hen house sisters. I have also included teabags of dried catmint for use as tea or to put in the toys. My son's family uses a supply of catmint regularly as a digestive, and a calming mint tea. I laughed when he told me that once he drank so much of it that his nose became numb. Ha! I will also send the Wildflowers teabags of my dried peppermint. This is really a great tea for calming stress and insomnia. My entire family drinks it for colds or just calming.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  3:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“For 30 days on our Wildflower Group page, we have recorded our thoughts on being thankful, as well as commented on the days reading in The Book of Awesome.

I enjoyed writing and sharing my gratitude each day - and I also really enjoyed reading other Wildflower Girls' gratitude log each day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  4:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I designed a pattern for a wall hanging. That took forever!!!!! I have not counted the number of colors I used, but it was a lot. It will make a good winter project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  4:24:26 PM  Show Profile
Judith Lickteig (forgetmenot, #3926) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“As a member of Wildflowers Chapter Henhouse I read 30 days of The Book Of Awesome by Neil Pasricha, one entry, once a day, to help me appreciate the little things.

I plan to finish the book, and continue journaling the gratitude daily. The book really did focus on simple things. I thought I would come up with a more earth-shattering list of things I was grateful for. However, on a daily basis..I found my thinking was not that deep. Right now, I am just grateful for getting through the day. It was a very interesting experience going through this with others and learning what others are grateful for.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  4:53:12 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyem, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I began in late July of 2013. I started to look into healthier alternatives of food and watching my portion sizes. I began using myfitnesspal to keep track of the food I was eating. As a nursing mom I had to make sure I was eating right so I could provide nutrients for my son.

That month was great I ended up losing about 10 lbs and getting on my new weight loss adventure. My goal was to become healthier.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  4:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“In our Henhouse, Wildflower Farmgirls, we daily shared our gratitude for the day. We also have been reading "The Book of Awesome."

I have thoroughly enjoyed finding something to be thankful for each day. It really helps on those days that are not "highs." I am having difficulties relating to some of the entries in the book, but there are others I completely relate to.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  4:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I read the book "BEEF: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World" by Andrew Rimas and Evan D.G. Fraser, and found a local farm who sells strictly grass-fed, antibiotic and hormone free beef, by parts, quarters, halves, or whole.

In all honesty, I hated the book. It is not one I will ever read again.

On the flip side, I love www.eatwild.com and www.localharvest.org. We bought a whole cow from a local farmer, which will last our family for the year. The beef is simply delicious and knowing it is more healthy is a huge benefit.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  4:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“We found a local farm that sells grass fed cows that are antibiotic and hormone free. We bought a whole cow, which will last us for the year. When it was time to pick up the butchered cow, we went out to the farm and spent a good couple hours talking with the owner. I also shared on my Henhouse about what I have learned.

We absolutely LOVE our grass-fed beef that we bought. We usually prefer to buy jersey, but this year had to buy Angus, as that is what he had available. It was a lot more meat, that is slightly more fatty. We absolutely LOVE our grassfed beef!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  4:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I read "The Soul of a Horse," by Joe Camp, and checked out the website. I also researched about Morgans. Morgans were one of the earliest breeds here in the United States and are incredibly versatile. All Morgans are traced back to one stallion, originally named Figure, owned by Justin Morgan. It is this type of horse that my oldest daughter dreams of one day owning.

"The Soul of a Horse" is an excellent book! I found the techniques and reasons for them being used, to make complete sense. If/when we own a horse, I too hope to earn the trust of the horse and allow them to choose me, opposed to forcing it - and showing it "who's boss." I also plan to keep my horse(s) unshod. I think the book should be a mandatory read for anyone who does or may one day, own a horse!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  4:47:57 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I researched the difference between cruelty-free and organic health and beauty products versus commercially made ones. I also started replacing my products that I use. Finally, I made lavender scented bath salts.

One thing I have found is that just because something is labeled organic, does not mean it is 100% safe for you! I am still trying to find products that are perfectly safe, and in all honesty, will probably just end up making my own. The bath salts I made were absolutely lovely!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  4:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I have been continuing to switch out our health and beauty products. I also have made a few different types of deodorants.

I have found making deodorant is definitely a trial and error process. The first type I made was primarily baking soda based, which resulted in rashes for a couple of us. The latest kind we have been making has more arrowroot powder in it, which works great, but we are finding we need more beeswax in it to make it more firm, rather than a sticky mess.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  4:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“Friends of ours headed overseas for almost four weeks, to see the wife's family. During this time, we went to their house every morning and night, and most afternoons, to take care of their chickens. We fed and watered them, and cleaned out the coops.

Other than the drive (30 minutes one way), we thoroughly enjoyed taking care of our friends' chickens! As an added bonus, we got to bring home the eggs. I think one of the favorite parts for the children was bringing the chickens treats, such as over grown cucumbers that were yellow, and pepper cores.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  4:59:14 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I spent quite a bit of time researching the atmosphere, how it contributes to weather conditions, atmospheric pressure, the difference between high and low pressure systems, the barometer, wind, air masses, and fronts.

To be perfectly honest, I find this subject somewhat confusing. The atmosphere is unevenly heated by the sun. The differences in the temperature causes the air pressure to change, with causes winds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  5:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I researched what root vegetables grow in our area, and which ones I could find in the local grocery store. Ones that grow around here include carrots, beets, parsnips, radishes, rutabagas, turnips, garlic, onions, shallots, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. In addition to these, since we generally shop at EarthFare, we can also find ginger, turmeric, celeriac, yucca, and taro.

I found this project interesting, especially allowing my children to try to pick out the ones they thought were root vegetables.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  5:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I grew root vegetables in my garden. The first two root vegetables we grew were potatoes and garlic.

One of our favorite parts of growing these two types of root vegetables was making roasted potatoes with olive oil, garlic, and herbs fresh from the garden. I was a little disappointed in the productivity of the potatoes, but considering it was our first year, I think 20 pounds of potatoes from 3 pounds of seed potatoes was pretty good. The garlic will last us a good, long time, though I may end up needing to freeze it, with the temperatures being so warm here.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  5:11:05 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“For this badge, we planted three additional root vegetables. We planted carrots, radishes, and onions. I also looked into different ways to store our veggies. Unfortunately, due to our high temperatures during the summer, storing our vegetables for long term during the summer is virtually impossible, unless in the freezer or dehydrated. If we were to plant more for the Fall, we would be able to store our vegetables in our pantry.

The onions are a definite favorite for our family. The carrots we chose to grow were yummy, but did not last long. The radishes were probably the least favorite root vegetable we grew. They were great grated in our coleslaw, or in salad, but they were extremely prolific, and we had an overabundance of them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  5:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“For this badge, my oldest daughter and I froze strawberries, tomatoes, and most recently, blueberries. The strawberries and blueberries we freeze on trays individually first, and then place in freezer bags. The tomatoes we wash off, and then just put them in the freezer in a container. I also shared this information on my Henhouse.

We enjoy frozen produce, especially fruit. With the summers being so excrutiatingly hot, pulling frozen fruit out to eat, or for smoothies, is extremely refreshing.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page