Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  4:34:54 PM  Show Profile
Danyel Treece (danyel, #4202) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Collected reusable shopping bags from local stores I frequently shop at. Made sure to include 2 that are for cold /freezer items. Placed them in the car inside one of the larger bags so I have them handy for quick trips to the store.

Discovered I need more than 6 bags! They each hold more then a plastic bag, however, for larger shopping trips 6 is not enough. The cold items do stay frozen better for the trip home.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  4:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Danyel Treece (danyel, #4202) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Researched the items currently using in making homemade "green" products and looked at the counterparts used by the larger chemical cleaners, prefer to keep with the tried and true recipes obtained in going green home cleaners.

Will continue to use the products currently making using "green" ingredients. Very pleased with the cleaning capabilities. Prefer the liquid laundry detergent over the dry laundry detergent, for my washer and cleaning needs.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“My sister wanted a shamrock garland to wear, so she found a pattern on Pinterest and asked me to make two of them. I ended up stopping at 12 feet and my sister is thrilled.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  4:52:20 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“We have spent the last couple years placing bulk dry goods orders with other families in the area. If it is something that we want in a smaller quantity like baking powder, we split a tub with someone else. We also have begun using essential oils to clean, and making our own laundry soap.

My husband recently built me a storage cupboard in the garage for my 5 gallon pails of dry goods. Another farmgirl in the area contacts me when she needs more wheat ground or to refill her oatmeal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  4:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have been teaching classes at the local YMCA for many years. This year I decided to work for my 200 hour yoga teacher license.

My classes ran for eight full weekends with all sorts of subject matter. We studied anatomy, the history and philosophy of yoga, the business, how to work with diverse populations and many other topics. We also both practiced and taught many hours of yoga over that time as well. I am happy to say I graduated, and am now a member of Yoga Alliance.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2015 :  3:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Callene Corkan (#6216) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have a large collection of way over 50 buttons.I was given most of these buttons from my mom and great granny. It is going great. I love adding to the collection,though I get weird remarks by my children. They call me a hoarder for saving buttons off old clothes. LOL”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2015 :  3:48:25 PM  Show Profile
Callene Corkan (#6216) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have made four bracelets with buttons and I wear them.I have actually sold one of them. They turned out very well. I love making my own jewelry. I have found that buttons are cheaper than charms. I love making things.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2015 :  3:56:45 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I sewed matching half aprons for my daughter and I. I added a large front pocket for clothespins. It is not too bad, I think I needed to either line it or use a heavier fabric.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2015 :  3:58:09 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“So my half apron was kind of a disappointment, I decided to try again and go for a full one.

I love it! I made it out of some fabric I got at a garage sale and it was perfect. In fact, it was so perfect my sister took it for herself and my best friend wants me to sew 6 more for her baking group.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2015 :  4:02:34 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Connecting Growers & Eaters Merit Badge!

“I am now a co-organizer for the Garden to Pantry project that I got my beginner and intermediate badges from last year. Our garden was started to grow vegetables for the area food pantries. All food grown goes to area people in need. Last year we donated over 4,000 pounds of produce.

This year is going very well. We do not expect to have anywhere near last years numbers for poundage as we have adjusted our plantings to what area pantries felt here was a greatest need for. This meant no more cucumbers or squash, and more focus on peas and beans. Instead of looking at pounds, we are focusing on people helped. This year we have also included area Master Gardeners and volunteers who are pantry recipients.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  3:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“Root vegetables are a favorite of mine and they grow very well in our area. In my own garden I have had rainbow varieties of carrots, beets, radishes, rutabagas, potatoes and my personal favorite, parsnips.

I went to our local organic grocery store and found several of the above vegetables labeled as grown here in Wisconsin. I had forgotten about celeriac, so that was a nice addition to the list I had made.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-arms Merit Badge!

“I "aged out" of needing hunter safety, so instead I opted to take a Concealed Carry course that was offered in my area. While there are women only options, I actually took a mixed class so that I could hear what the men had to say.

I graduated and got my Concealed Carry License for the state of Wisconsin. I felt the information I got from the instructor was very beneficial.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have a recycling center in our town that extends out to those of us that live in the country. Our garbage truck is split so that the trash goes in the back half and recycles are dumped in the front.

We purchased 3 recycling tubs for our home in order to participate. We also are able to recycle oil we have drained from our vehicles.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I got the Book of Awesome from my library, and read an entry each day. Instead of keeping a written record of things I'm thankful for everyday, our virtual chapter made a gratitude thread. Everyone that wanted to participate posted something every day for a month that they were thankful for.

I love that we did the beginner level of this badge together. It made it really fun and encouraging.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:38:47 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I made this cake for my daughter's going away party (boot camp) - using different techniques I learned with icing/fondant.

I think it turned out well. I always know I have lots of room for improvement and I continue to learn... but I was pleased. A few people wondered why I had boots on the table with the duffle bag cake! lol”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:41:02 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I was contacted by a company (Icing Smiles, Inc)... to bake a cake for a little boy named Hudson. (About the company:

Icing Smiles Inc.

We are Baking a Difference.
Icing Smiles is a nonprofit organization that provides custom celebration cakes and other treats to families impacted by the critical illness of a child. We understand that the simple things, like a birthday cake, are luxuries to a family battling illness. Our goal is to create a custom cake for the ill child, or their sibling, that provides a temporary escape from worry and creates a positive memory during a difficult time.

Memories have magical powers. Long after the cake is gone, the memories linger - memories of the kindness of a stranger, of the art of the design, of the sweet smells of a special treat, of the smiles and laughs, of a normal childhood experience so often stolen from these children. These memories are why we say, "It is so much more than a cake."

With that being said, I was asked to donate a cake for Hudson - and I was very blessed to be a part of this! (I continue to be involved with them.)

Hudson's mom sent me a video and pictures of Hudson seeing his cake.. and in the video he said "Thank you, it's the best cake ever!" - so as long as Hudson was happy, I believe it turned out great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:45:43 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I got my mom's recipe box and all her handwritten recipes that were scattered about that she had gotten from family members and friends through out the years. I typed them all up in my computer and organized them.

I think it turned out well. I was able to finally have all the recipes that my mom has collected from family and friends - along with my own recipes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“All the recipes that I gathered and put into my computer, I compiled into categories and printed out, laminated and made copies to give to family.

I think it turned out really nice. All the books are in order, laminated pages - so easy to wipe off in case of spills! ... I also added extra pages in for them to add recipe cards that they may want to add.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  4:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Michele McElwee (Michele_72, #5969) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“All the recipes that I gathered, laminated and placed into a recipe book... I made copies for my mom, my sister and my two daughters. I hosted a Christmas morning breakfast where I gave them to them! Everyone seemed very pleased to receive the recipe book.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  3:57:51 PM  Show Profile
Jeanie Fritz (#6079) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected ten reusable shopping bags. I have had the bags for a long time and have used them in the past; however, after our last move a few months ago, I stopped using them as they got separated in the shuffle. Now I have collected them again and returned them to the vehicles so that they are ready for shopping trips in the future.

I have one bag that folds up that I keep in my purse for when I run into a store to purchase one item or more. I have five bags that I have placed in our primary vehicle, and four bags that I have placed in our secondary vehicle for grocery and household shopping. Two of the bags are insulated for grocery perishables. We are all set now to use the reusable bags for this week's shopping trips.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Jeanie Fritz (#6079) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I went on the internet and printed out a list of things that can be recycled in our local area and the drop-off locations. We will be recycling aluminum and other metal cans, glass food and beverage containers, plastic bottles/containers/jugs, and corrugated cardboard. Our area drop-offs only accept plastic labelled with numbers 1 or 2, and we cannot recycle chipboard.

We have recycled in the past as a family, but we stopped after our last move. We are ready to get started again. We plan to recycle all of the allowable items. We do not get magazines or newspapers or collect plastic bags, so there is no need to recycle these. Junk mail gets shredded and used in our wood stove to start fires. We are ready to get started again with recycling now that I have done the research.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Jeanie Fritz (#6079) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“When I was a child, my mother had a sewing box that an older relative had given her. I loved to sift through the buttons on the bottom of the box and pick out my favorites. I have always loved buttons and used them in crafting, particularly scrapbooks. As I purchased new clothing over the years, I would take the small pouch or baggie that held spare buttons and toss the baggie in a box. A couple of years ago, my mom bought me a wooden sewing box just like my paternal grandmother had when I was a child. My stash of bagged buttons ended up in there.

For this badge, I tool the time to remove all of the buttons out of those baggies, and I made a wonderful discovery: I have collected buttons of all shapes and sizes and materials. I have over 80 buttons. Most of them are in earth tones. I would like to have a more colorful collection, so my next goal is to start hunting down buttons at antique shops and craft stores.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:08:28 PM  Show Profile
Jeanie Fritz (#6079) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I decided to visit our local one-room school house, Herman School. It is the oldest public school building in our county. The school was built between 1841-1842. It was operational for 40 years with classes being held from 1842 to 1882. The school was built from wood and stone. It has a small foyer and then one big open room with a wood stove in the middle.

The school year ran from December through February when the school first opened to accommodate the farm families who attended it. More months were added to the schedule as time went on. As a former teacher, I was trying to imagine teaching the 30 plus students throughout the cold winter months. The ages of the students ranged from 6 to 22 years old. I think that it would be a challenge to teach in this setting, but I am sure that the students who were there wanted to get an education as schooling was not compulsory at this time in history.

As a former teacher, I enjoyed learning about the history of education in our area, and I also plan to become a supporting member of the museum. It was inspiring to learn about the sacrifices that local families made to establish public education in our area in 1841 after the enactment of the Right to Education Act of 1838. Also, it was interesting to learn that this school was operational during the Civil War. Some boys who attended the school did enlist as Union soldiers and fight in the Civil War. Again, as a teacher, I imagined what it would be like to teach United States history with the Civil War going on. I found my visit to the Herman School to be very interesting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Sonja Gasper (opengatefarm, #5671) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I decided to use our camping trip as an opportunity to earn the Disconnect to Reconnect Badge by declaring all electronics would be left at home for the weekend.

We had a wonderful time and the kids decided that camping trips would be electronics free from here on out. I spent my time cooking, sitting by the pool and catching up on my MaryJane magazines.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  4:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I love granola, especially homemade granola! I thought I had a copy of my grandmother's recipe but I didn't, so I experimented with a couple of different recipes until I found one that was a winner! The basic recipe I used was in the book, "Homemade Pantry" by Alana Chernila.

Instead of adding sesame and sunflower seeds, I substituted walnuts and pecans, along with the almonds that it called for ... and added a little more cinnamon. I also used pure maple syrup. It turned out DELICIOUS! Just what I was looking for! It's great for a snack, breakfast, or sprinkled on yogurt. SO much better tasting than store bought and MUCH cheaper!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page