Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I spoke with my vet to make sure she practices holistic and natural veterinary care. She does. All our critters, including the chickens, eat a NON-GMO diet of whole foods, mostly raw.

I do my critter food shopping at Mud Bay, which specializes in local, natural, and raw foods for pets, including my chicken food. The cat food even smells better than our dinner sometimes. The chicken food is organic, soy & wheat free. The dogs and cat's food is a grain free mix of meat (including fish) and vegetables. They are very happy, healthy critters.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“Both our dogs have been spayed (rescue dogs), and the cat is scheduled for her operation next month (found her starving in the chicken coop). Their favorite toys are a fox that has had the squeakers removed (Jill is afraid of the sound), an old rope, a felted wool ball the I spray with organic catnip. The catnip mouse (recycled denim fabric, locally made) has already had the stuffing ripped out of it. The dogs are only bathed with natural shampoo, and their bedding is misted with natural flea repellents (although fleas are not a problem). Anything used on the carpet is natural and non-toxic to anything living in our home.

My chickens take regular dust baths, and the dogs get baths when the corn chip smell gets to strong. As for the cat, I am not yet ready to wrestle her in the sink. If you cannot eat something, you should not be putting it on your skin (for the most part), the same goes for the animals. If you eat animal products, you are what they eat (guess that makes me part worm, spider, and assorted bugs).

Now if I could just get them all to quit peeing on the floor, that includes the cat.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Stargazing Chicks Merit Badge!

“I watch the night sky every night it is clear. Stars twinkle, while planets have a steady light. I have spotted the moon (of course), Mars, Mercury (using binoculars), Venus, Jupiter, the North Star, and any number of constellations (Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, Orion, Northern Cross, Cassiopeia). I even have a photo of the ring around the moon. I have learned about degrees of arc (angular distance in the sky from the horizon) and how to estimate them (your first at arms length is about 4 degrees).

As a child I learned how to identify the most obvious constellations and to know what time of year they are present. When I lived in the south this was more pronounced and I could see the Zodiac, and the constellations varied quite a bit through the year (Orion was only visible in the winter). During the summer we were looking into the Milky Way (looks like a dense white streak), and in the winter we were looking into deep space. I have even seen a few man made satellites traverse the night sky (they almost look like shooting stars).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  4:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Cj Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“PAMPERED PETS MERIT BADGE: Beginner Level

We live in a rural community where there is more than one vet clinic as this is ranching/farming country and animals aplenty. We have established a relationship with a local vet who provides excellent care for our cat and dog. They also provide a great selection of great products in the clinic.

Over the years we have been careful to feed our pets healthy food and treats to ensure their best health. It’s been interesting to see what products are not the best and focus on using those that are more healthy. We’ve learned what “human” food is acceptable to feed our pets. When we got our newest kitty, we decided at the very beginning she would not be fed human food, thus eliminating the activity of begging.

It has worked well and we really enjoy not having a begging kitty cat!

We are animal lovers and will always own pets as long as we are able. We almost always visit our local shelter to find our new friends!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  4:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Cj Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate & Expert Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“I am submitting this application for both the Intermediate and Expert levels. (Beginner level is in a separate application and previously submitted)

INTERMEDIATE:
We have never used any pet care products that are that toxic or unhealthy. When our pets need a bath we just use castile soap. It is our practice to use homemade tick/flea repellants, bedding and toys. It is also our practice to not allow them to consume unhealthy food items. We also make sure they get their annual vaccinations. Our dog has a collar with a name plate riveted onto it in the event finding her owners is necessary and our kitty has been microchipped.

Both our cat and our dog are spayed. It has been our practice for many years to have them spayed or neutered as soon as they are ready for it, if they were not already. It’s just a wise practice!

EXPERT:
I have been volunteering as a promoter and sponsor for our local horse rescue for many years. I have sponsored six horses that all were able to be adopted.

Our pets are pampered in many ways, they are priceless friends and companions! Nothing like the love of a pet!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  4:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffanyann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“I completed a Basic Pistol and Gun Safety course through the NRA. We spent 8 hours learning the basics and safety while using handguns. I even learned how to break mine down and clean it! I've been a hunter for years so I didn't need the hunter safety course, again. But, this class helped me expand my gun knowledge.

I am now more comfortable with using my hand gun and it's nice to know how to keep it in top condition. I've gotten to be a pretty good shot, too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  4:40:29 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffanyann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“We are very fortunate to have an awesome gun range just up the road. They are currently building an indoor range. I spent two weekends and a couple of evenings getting in some target practice.

I put in at least 20 hours, it really helped improve my score! I even got brave and used my husband's guns and one that my dad gave me over 20 years ago that I had never fired.

I'm really enjoying the gun range with my family. I'm finally out shooting my son. Next hunting season, look out!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  4:45:20 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffanyann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“It's really hard to recycle around here as there isn't a recycle company for over 80 miles. But, not to be deterred, my family thought of ways to do what we could on our own.

We use old newspapers, eggshells, coffee grounds, etc. as compost. Aluminum cans are donated to our local fire hall for the 4th of July fireworks. I reuse jars for everything! Spice holders, knick-knack holders, plant food mixers, etc. We don't get very many cans, since I either freeze, dry, or can most of our food. In other words, if I don't have the garbage in the first place-it's less to recycle. We never buy drinks in plastic bottles, for instance. I made 12 rag rugs out of old sheets for Christmas presents this year. Envelopes, letters, etc. are re-used as note paper, labels, and so forth. We even re-use old bailing string into plant hangers or ropes-just macrame them into something useful. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

We are re-using more and more "trash". I think hard about buying anything in a container that can't be re-purposed. We have thought of different uses for odd things that would normally be tossed. Thanks for challenging us to be more responsible!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  4:48:12 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffanyann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“This one was very easy! We live in Eastern Montana, everyone owns a horse! We board horses as well as own four of our own. We are even rescuing a horse cousin from a friend of ours who is getting out of the animal business due to health---its a Jenny.

I really enjoyed finding our how many breeds are in this area---90% of them must be quarter horses, though. All of ours are. But, there are Arabians, an Andalusian and an Island pony of some sort. I'm working on the Intermediate level already. Hopefully, I'll submit that one soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  4:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Schroder (Lisa Ann, #6182) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“Using an 8x8 canvas I painted multiple layers of acrylic in various colors using my finger, a foam brush and a paintbrush. I added stencil designs and collaged elements from an old gardening catalogue and ephemera . I created sails for my ship with old maps. The boat is gold leaf. The quote, "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."

I like the multiple layers and the collaged owls peeking out from the darkness as if guiding an watching over the boat on it's journey. I like the size of the canvas and the textures the paints and collages elements created.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  5:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Battaglia (frankrb, #6140) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I have volunteered to help clean and care for the SOS Pet Rescue at Petsmart. I volunteer 1-2 hours a week by cleaning out all crates and changing all bedding, washing down all crates, feeding and providing water and medications and loads of love and company to lonely cats and Kitten until they are adopted.

I still go every week and love the cats and kitten. It makes me so happy to hear that one of the cats have a new home and we get more kittens or older cats for others to adopt. Just this past week we received a 3 year old male cat that had to be surrendered because their baby had allergies to the cat, this cat was so scared and all the volunteers just gave so much love to him, he is now heading home to a new family already.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  4:07:57 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“JU'BILEE, n. [L. jubilum, from jubilo, to shout for joy; Heb. the blast of a trumpet, coinciding with Eng. bawl, peal, L. pello.]
1. Among the Jews, every fiftieth year, being the year following the revolution of seven weeks of years, at which time all the slaves were liberated,and all lands which had been alienated during the whole period,reverted to their former owners. This
was a time of great rejoicing. Hence,
2. A season of great public joy and festivity.
3. A church solemnity or ceremony celebrated at Rome, in which the pope grants plenary indulgence to sinners, or to as many as visit the churches of St. Peter and St. Paul at Rome.
"jubilee." Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language. 2015.http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/word/jubilee (2 March 2015).

1jubilee
noun ju•bi•lee \#712;jü-b#601;-(#716;)l#275;, #716;jü-b#601;-#712;l#275;\ : a special anniversary; also : a celebration at the time of such an anniversary

Full Definition of JUBILEE
often capitalized : a year of emancipation and restoration provided by ancient Hebrew law to be kept every 50 years by the emancipation of Hebrew slaves, restoration of alienated lands to their former owners, and omission of all cultivation of the land
a : a special anniversary; especially : a 50th anniversary
b : a celebration of such an anniversary
a : a period of time proclaimed by the Roman Catholic pope ordinarily every 25 years as a time of special solemnity
b : a special plenary indulgence granted during a year of jubilee to Roman Catholics who perform certain specified works of repentance and piety
a : jubilation
b : a season of celebration
: a religious song of black Americans usually referring to a time of future happiness
Examples of JUBILEE
<the town is planning a year-long jubilee in celebration of its founding 200 years ago>
Origin of JUBILEE
Middle English, from Anglo-French & Late Latin; Anglo-French jubilé, from Late Latin jubilaeus, modification of Late Greek i#333;b#275;laios, from Hebrewy#333;bh#275;l ram's horn, jubilee
First Known Use: 14th century
Related to JUBILEE
Synonyms: carnival, celebration, fest, festivity, fete (or fęte), fiesta, gala, festival
"jubilee." Merriam-Webster's Dictionary Online. 2015. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jubilee (2 March 2015).

Jubilee is such a great word! It has so much historical significance in celebrating life and specifically in the Bible it is centered around forgiveness and freedom which is certainly worth celebrating! I love how it was like a big reset button for everyone and a clean slate moving forward. How refreshing! I think it's very fitting that our Farmgirl Jubilee is set at the beginning of spring for a fresh start in farming! I haven't been a part of an official Jubilee of any sort that I can recall, but I have been to many anniversary parties that were definitely worth a Jubilee title! The one that stands out to me the most is when my maternal grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with all of us on a huge family vacation to Colorado. It was definitely a celebration and one I will never forget. We went on an old railroad ride aboard a steam engine train, went hiking, exploring, and white water rafting.

The British Diamond Jubilee took place in 2012 with some really interesting activities. One of the things I thought was really keen, was the lighting of 2,012 torches or I guess they said beacons throughout the commonwealth of England. I also liked how one article said there was of course lots of "royal waving from the balcony". Having luncheons in backyards and sharing food with neighbors was another thing that caught my attention as that is so farmgirl and obviously we should all do the same. They made the celebration extend into a 4 day weekend for everyone in the celebration, which is brilliant because why have a 3 day weekend when you can have 4? Then of course there was the usual touring of the kingdom and meeting with the local people and dignitaries that these sorts of occasions bring. All in all, it sounded very pleasant and really fun because everyone was mingling together and having some fun.

Two of my ideas for the Farmgirl Jubilee are to have a Farmgirl perennial garden spot in my yard that I can add to each year and have an afternoon tea with some of my farmgirls. I have many more ideas and plans, but that can wait for another time!

I learned that the Queen's Diamond Jubilee was celebrated for her 60th year reign because the Queen before her that made it to the 60th year wasn't expected to live to the actual Diamond Jubilee, which would have been 75 years, because no other Monarch had ever reigned for 75 years and from that point on (1897) England has celebrated the Diamond Jubilee on the 60th anniversary of the Monarch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  4:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffanyann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have a flock of 40 plus chickens, so we get plenty of eggs. We feed them as organically as possible. They eat the same as us a lot of the time. We have 42 acres of non-sprayed or chemically altered land-and my girls have free-run of it. Most of my customers are ladies in their 80's or older-retired ranchers. They love our eggs!

We have been working at feeding our girls more "naturally". Since my family eats as much organically as we can, the scraps the girls get are, too. I work in a senior center, and my ladies love the eggs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  4:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffanyann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have 6 dairy goats, which are my favorite animals. They are better than dogs as far as I'm concerned. I've been teaching young kids how to milk them; since my girls are so gentle, they are great to start "newbies". The latest were 3 girls from the city of Dickenson, ND. They are all foster kids, and they fell in love with our animals. I felt challenged to add an heritage goat to our flock. I just found one that is a "rescue" in a way. Her owner had a heart attack and needs homes for his many animals. We are buying an Oberhasli goat (they're on the recovering list) and a donkey.

This is going to be great, I have always raised LaMancha goats. I love the Oberhasli goats, but was never able to find one in our area. She is wonderful!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  4:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffanyann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“All our faucets are now non-leaking. We have 4 rain barrels in place for spring. I now wash my hair every two days-less time in the shower. I've been using melted snow for my houseplants and indoor pets. We have always shut the water off while brushing our teeth, so that wasn't hard. Since we don't use harsh chemicals for cleaning anymore, we can use a lot of our gray water.

It has made us get a little more creative. Instead of just dumping water, we try to re-use it. Most of our water is used by our barnyard critters, but we make sure we don't let the water over-flow. We have creek that runs for several months in the year, so we used that for watering we we can. It's still water, but at least it doesn't have to be treated.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  4:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffanyann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“We're using plans for a trough system that uses rocks and sand to clear up gray water. Several years ago as part of my Master Gardener qualification, I helped implement one at our church. It was in an arid area of Idaho and we needed all the water we could use. So, we used it to rescue the water in the baptismal. Our system here is destined for the kitchen sink. Our rain barrels are actually full from a couple of days when the snow melted off of our roof.They froze of course!

We've had a lot of luck in the past reusing gray water and look forward to using it here in Montana. We're also spreading the word to our friends. Our city water is so full of salts that it's yucky for plants, but we're hoping this will make it usable for the yard.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  4:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffanyann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“Our very good friends were dealing with the husband having an heart attack. He had to be flown out on Life Flight-that left his wife to deal with the farm. We met with her and found out how to take care of their animals so she could drive the 3 hours to be with her husband. This was no small task as they raise EVERYTHING! One dairy goat gave birth while we were working on farming out some of the animals to other farms. The barn was a former pig farm and was a labyrinth of stalls and pens. We were afraid we would miss somebody! We're now experts (sort of) of caring for the animals that are left. It's going to be a long haul for all of us, but we're finding joy in it.

I now know how to feed guinea hens, treat a broken legged steer, care for turkeys, herd pigs and ducks, and fell in love with a donkey. Our friends asked us to buy their donkey and an Oberhasli goat. They may have to get out of the farming business altogether, but we're trying to keep them in it! We've gotten to be even closer friends through all of this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  4:40:00 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Civic Heritage for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“My family went to Fishers, Indiana (just outside of Indianapolis) to visit Conner Prairie. Conner Prairie is a living history museum made up of several historic areas including 1836 Prairietown, 1863 Civil War Journey, Lenape Indian Camp, William Conner Homestead, and 1859 Balloon Voyage. They also have a Nature Walk, Animal Encounters, Craft stations, and much more.

I went with my husband and our three children, and we all loved it. We were there most of the day and by the end the kids were a little tired, but overall they liked it a lot. They especially enjoyed the animal encounters. They had a barn set up there with cows, sheep, goats, and chickens. There were animals everywhere just walking right around you. That was definitely the most interactive experience with farm animals that I'd ever had, and the kids just loved it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  2:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Ally Neal (AFinkberry, #5672) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“The definition of Jubilee is:
-a time or season for rejoicing.
-a special anniversary, usually 25th or 50th.
Interestingly, there is a religious definition as well. The book of Leviticus states the every 50 years, debts shall be forgiven, slaves and prisoners shall be freed and property shall be restored.

When I was 3 years old, my Great Grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary by having a very large party and the banner at the hall declared it was a "Birdsong Jubilee!" I was too young to remember much, if anything, but there are pictures where good times were had!

For the Diamond Jubilee for Queen Elizabeth, there were tours and visits around the world to British Commonwealth territories all year by various members of the Royal Family, and The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh toured England. Additionally, the main weekend events included parades, concerts, a Diamond Jubilee pageant on the Thames. Some activities that citizens participated in were the "Big Lunch" where they invited friends and neighbors over to partake in a lunch together in Her Majesty's honor! And, communities and individuals all over the country lit special Diamond Jubilee Beacons!

I've posted a post under the "Dream It! Make It! Bake It! Shake It!" category in the forum. Here are my two ideas for celebrating our Farmgirl Jubilee!

1. Make a Farmgirl basket for my neighbor with an apron that I make, tea, and some of my spicy pear jelly I made last summer!
2. Invite my friends over for a garden party, where we will plant veggies and flowers, drink tea and eat goodies!

I had fun reading the Wikipedia definitions of "Jubilee." Especially the religious context. I am not a religious person, but it is an important part of history and I enjoyed it!
I also enjoyed remembering the Queen's Diamond Jubilee!
I am very excited for our Farmgirl Jubilee!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  2:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Jill Schrader (OneCountryChick, #6177) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“Well, I was finally on my way. I had mapped out a business plan, researched suppliers, pricing, and a business name. I was now Country Kitchen Linens! Now I had to become that business! So I applied for a business name through the state, got a Seller's Permit, and got all the legal ins and out taken care of. Next I set up an on-line account to sell my kitchen linens through Etsy. Then finally came the fun part. Shopping for supplies and fabrics and making a few products so I could take photos for my listings. Once I had a few sets created, I put them on my shop site. Now the excitement and butterflies really began. I was officially open for business!

My goal was to open the first part of November to take advantage of Christmas sales. I opened November 1st! I continued making new items and selecting prints I thought other farm sisters would enjoy and could relate to. The orders started trickling in. I contacted MJF and was selected to be part of Project Farm Give Away for January! That gave me some more exposure and fun items for other sisters to purchase for others on their Christmas list. Thank you MJF for that opportunity!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  2:32:42 PM  Show Profile
Jill Schrader (OneCountryChick, #6177) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“My Country Kitchen Linens shop was now officially open for business! My web page was built, business cards/labels were created, and orders started to come in! It was a busy time, as the Christmas season was just starting as well. Baking and shopping were in full swing, and as a seamstress, I love making clothes for the little grandkids as well as creating new listings for the shop that needed to be expanded. The more trips to the fabric store, the more prints I saw that I just had to add to my shop! Oh the fun I was having!!

Getting my name out there was the hardest thing. Without an actual "brick and mortar" building that people can see, an online store is a bit trickier, but at the same time you can set up shop all over the world on one site! I continue to expand my listings, grow my business and get the word out. I am so grateful to MJF for promoting my shop and welcoming me into the "sisterhood"! I love seeing what others are making and hope to purchase some of their wares in the near future as we support each other and our country way of life!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  2:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson (Over 50, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“The 5 herbs I identified was:

Sweet Basil
Horehound
Rosemary
Sage
and Mint

I have used sweet basil in my stir fry and BakeOver.

I have used horehound to make horehound candy.

I used the rosemary with my salmon.

And of course I have used my mint in my tea and water. I love using herbs in all my cooking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  2:50:52 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been recycling for years. I have my grandkids recycling at their houses also. I also teach my second grade students about recycling each year.

My grandkids use the money they get from recycling their aluminum cans to buy things they want.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  2:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I searched the national archives and found info on my paternal grandparents.

I found out when my grandparents were married and when all their children were born.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  2:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“I have shared at least two ideas I have for how to celebrate our Farmgirl Jubilee on The Farmgirl Connection chat room under the Farmgirl Jubilee heading.

A jubilee is "a special anniversary; also: a celebration at the time of such an anniversary." About 20 years ago, My entire family helped my grandparents celebrate their 50th anniversary. We had a dinner the evening including gifts of family pictures of each of their children with their children. The best part was the memorial quilt designed by my Aunt Caroline and cousins. The back of it consisted of 12" blocks decorated by each of my grandparents friends through the years. The front contained photos of all the children and grandchildren, their wedding photos, and cross-stitch replicas of both of the houses they own through their married life.

I read about the British Diamond Jubilee for Queen Elizabeth on June 5, 2012. Some of the events that took place include: the dedication of a stained glass window made marking the jubilee, numerous lunches and services for the Queen and the royal family including several processionals, and Prince Charles and his wife took a 2 week tour of the Commonwealth countries to celebrate with them. Some ways that regular people participated in the celebration included: the Thames River Pageant with thousands of boats, a concert outside of Buckingham Palace, Royal family processionals (parades), and many public celebrations that varied by country.

When my mother and her sisters were making the quilt, there was a lot of sneaking around going on. My cousin pilfered fabrics from my Grandma's stash and pilfered her personal address book, my mom and my Aunt Alicia stitched the two houses, my Aunt Sharon did the "frames" for each of the photos and worked with my Aunt Caroline to layout the quilt and stitch it together (both top and backing), my Aunt Caroline quilted it, then all four of the girls put the binding on it the weekend of the celebration. It was a miracle they did not get caught doing this. The look on my grandma's face when my father and uncles brought the quilt into the dinner room was priceless. My Great Grandma was there for this too. It was the last time I saw her. My son was only 2 at the time and we were able to get a 5 generation photo with him (the only male in it). This year we will be celebrating my parents 50th anniversary.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page