Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“Quilting has been a passion for many years and I have made simple quilts and other items. Then I took a break from it all for a number of years. In the past five years I have gotten back into quilting. For this beginner badge, as I did know how to quilt already, I made some potholders for friends for the holidays. they were done from scraps from quilts I am working on, so were frugal but nice gifts.

These potholders turned out well, and I got many compliments on them. I enjoyed seeing the recipients like my work.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I progressed in my re connection with quilting to make a block quilt from fabrics in Amish colors. I cut, sewed blocks together, put a cotton fiber lining and pretty print backing. I tied each block in the center, but I also hand quilted each block about 1 inch inside each border of the block. Then I hand quilted the borders.
To finish I sewed on the binding to the front and then hand stitched it to the back. This is a nice warm quilt about full size, but my husband does enjoy using it on his recliner at night when he sits to read.

This project is bright, practical as it is very washable, being cotton and with the type of fiber I used for the lining. It is pretty . I even enjoy just looking at it because it is cheerful. I gave it to my husband for Valentine's Day.

I also showed my granddaughter, age 12, how to make a smaller quilt in flannel blocks, which she is working on right now.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“For this expert badge, I made a crazy quilt from items purchased at resale shops, such as ties, children's embroidered clothing, velvet clothing, and some women's items also in silks or rayons. I pieced the quilt pieces to a flannel sheet, using many different stitches on my wonderful/new quilting machine. I also added hand stitching in feather stitches, flowers with French knots, and some other stitching. I enjoyed plotting and planning how it would all work out, and each time I found something special at a local shop, I would tell them about it being for my quilt. I did not put in a batting as I had to pieces stitched to flannel and then backed it with a cream color flannel and did the binding in same flannel. I tied the quilt with yarn in a wonderful green color which really "popped" on this lovely quilt. I quilted some with my granddaughter helping place blocks. She is learning to quilt and has been working on a flannel ragtime quilt. She did a block quilt for her brother for his birthday. My daughter in law is also quilting now and desires to learn to do pieced quilt blocks.

You can see by the photo that the crazy quilt on the bed is about twin size, and colors are so pretty. I also have my Amish block quilt hanging on the headboard and a vintage silk crazy quilt hanging on the wall (purchased at an auction). I did take my crazy quilt to show to women at the resale shop. This project will be used and enjoyed for years. With collecting, cutting, sewing, embellishing with embroidery, putting together and tying, it did take awhile, but I would say it was well worth it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:49:57 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“I grew potatoes and leeks. When prepping some of my garden beds for planting, I found more potatoes from last year growing. I have also thinned my leeks again and used the thinnings in a lovely dinner of grass fed steak, potatoes, leeks, garlic, and broccoli.

The native root plants in my area are: water parsnip - in shallow water from low to middle elevation, Pacific hemlock-parsley - along or near coastline and sometimes open boggyforests, Gairdner's yampah - low to middle elevations in meadows and mossy or grassy slopes and dry to vernally moist open forest, fine-leaved desert-parsley - dry open rocky slopes grassy bluffs and vernal meadows at low elevations.

I love found garden treasures!!!! I love root vegetables and have already started planting more. Everything that goes in before the last frost has gone in. This weekend I hope to get the cold frame filled too. My garlics have green tops, the crocus are blooming, my witch hazel is peaking, and the daffodils are budding. I do love my root plants.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“In New Orleans there is Mardi Gras, in Rio there is Carnival, and in Germany, there is Fasching. it is mostly a Roman Catholic or Christian Orthodox celebration whose origins are lost in antiquity, but it customs have been documented as early as the early 13th century.

We celebrated it with food, laughter, masks, and watching the Mardi Gras and Carnival on television.

Fasching is the feast just before Lent as well as a time in which the rules and order of daily life are subverted. (Think of the Festival of Fools in the Disney movie "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"). In modern times, it is often taken as an excuse to "sin like crazy" just before giving it up for Lent.

We had a good time making the masks (to protect your identity when you are satirizing those in charge), and "sinning" with delicious food, especially the sweets. The rest is "grown-up" talk.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Tatting Merit Badge!

“I learned the double stitch, picot, ring, and chain. I tatted 3 feet of basic lace.

It was a lot easier than I thought it would be once I got the hang of it. I sat in the car and did it while my daughter was doing ballet. I sat at a table and tatted while she was doing Girl Scouts. I tatted while watching "The Exotic Marigold Hotel."

I am now going to dig out one of my hankies that I have been saving for an edging and tat a lovely edge lace. I might even embroider the letter "J" and give it to my mother for her birthday.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  6:04:17 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner, & Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“BEGINNER
I have always been interested in the trees growing in our area but it became more of a “project” to learn more after a fire in July 1994 that destroyed our house and most of the natural wooded area around it. So, in order to replace trees we did a lot of research on what would grow well, knowing that we could never replace the trees that grew here naturally and took many decades to do so.

We planted Colorado Blue spruce, aspen, Ponderosa pine, white fir, yew, Alberta spruce, golden raintree, Japanese pagoda, sour cherry, apple and pear trees in our yard and they are all doing well. Not all of the native trees were destroyed and what we do still have growing on our property are: cedar, pinon, cottonwood and scrub oak. While they are not “trees” we also have native sagebrush, rabbit brush and even some prickly pear cactus.

INTERMEDIATE
In the immediate area of our house there are lots of natural wooded areas and orchards and not too great of a need for windbreaks. However, in the dryland farming area just to the northwest of us there are acres and acres of farmland that is wide open and susceptible to wind erosion. Thus the windbreaks are a great need and many folks have successfully planted trees that are suitable to the area and the dryland farming concept.

We have some beautiful parks in the towns in our community and they have planted Colorado Blue spruce, Ponderosa Pine and Navajo willow trees there. While not native to this elevation the blue spruce and Ponderosa pine are native to Colorado higher elevations and they do well because they aren’t far from “home”.

It's been a challenge to replace trees we lost but are happy with what we did plant and the growth we've seen. We have some absolutely stunningly beautiful trees in our yard!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  6:07:48 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson (#1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“Dine

The Navajo Indians, who are also known as Dine, are a Southwest Nation of semi nomadic Native American Indians. The Southwest region consists of Arizona, California, New Mexico, and parts of Utah. Today, the Navajo live on a reservation which spans over 14,000 square miles. It lies between Arizona and New Mexico and the fact that it is an extremely arid, barren region has made it a challenging place to live.

This is the way to say hello in Navajo, and is the common Navajo greeting. Meeting people, these days, begins with the greeting, but it could also be used as a parting farewell. It’s not common to tell someone “goodbye,” but instead “see you later” or “Yá’át’ééh.”

The Navajo are very interesting people. The history of the Dine is a sad yet beautiful story.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  4:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd (thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I am just learning to knit, Another farmgal, Atkinst2 is instructing me! The first thing I learned to do was make a scarf with the knit and purl stitch. I quickly moved to a dishcloth because I wanted to create something more useful for me or gift giving. Who can't use a dishcloth? Moving on to a pair of socks and a baby blanket now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  4:29:09 PM  Show Profile
Melanie Jones (#4211) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Over the years I have collected lots of over the shoulder purses as they go out of style I throw them in the back of the car for my handy shopping bags.

I have noticed that the over the shoulder bags balance the weight and allow you to carry more than you can with just your hands. They work wonderfully!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  4:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Melanie Jones (#4211) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I went the the Euless government web page and looked up the local recycling restrictions. I became aware that shredded paper can't be recycled, and neither can broken glass... I don't quite understand why, future studies.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  4:35:04 PM  Show Profile
Melanie Jones (#4211) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I have always loved drawing however finding something to draw is the hard part for me. I decided to go with my favorite flower. I think it looks pretty awesome!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  4:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Catherine Griffin (cajungal, #76) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“While doing the ‘leak check’ for this badge level, I actually found that one of the toilets is slowly leaking water. It was a simple fix of changing out the rubber gasket that the flapper hits against to seal up. Our well water is hard and this causes rubber items like this gasket to get ‘eaten up’. Everyone in the family has agreed to stop letting the water run so long before actually getting into the shower.

We don’t have a water meter that I can monitor for changes in usage to determine actual amounts of water saved. But,every little bit helps. I will do closer monitoring for the expert level of reducing water usage.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  4:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Catherine Griffin (cajungal, #76) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I have had a few rain barrels hooked up to our gutter system for 5+ years. Last year, I installed one at one of my rent houses and the renters were surprised that such a thing existed. Although there was a water hose hooked up, they didn’t keep up with watering the plants in front of the house. But, after the rain barrel was set up, they watered the plants. I have 2 other rent houses and will be installing rain barrels there.

I learned about gray water 15+ years ago when our septic system tanks that the kitchen and washing machine drained into had problems and needed expensive repairs. I decided right then to figure out a way to have the kitchen sink and washing machine drain into the yard and then ultimately into the garden. My first effort was to put the washer drain hose into a larger hose and hang that larger hose out the window. After different attempts, I finally ended up with what I still have today. I accessed the pipes in the ground and hooked up new pipes to re-route the water out to the garden about 30 feet away.

Last year, I re-routed the gray water at the same rent house I installed the rain barrels. The other 2 houses will be getting this gray water piping also.

I have been pleased with the outcome of all the set ups. It is an easy task to add these types of methods to maintaining your property.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  4:53:59 PM  Show Profile
Catherine Griffin (cajungal, #76) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have made my own laundry detergent, goat milk soap and home cleaners for 10+ years. During those years, I’ve tried different bases, oils, and essential oils to suit my liking. It was a Blessing to give jars of detergent to my daughter when she got married last year. While she knows how to make it, she likes me doing it for her. So, since I already make these items,

I did the idea that was given about a gift basket for a neighbor. I have a neighbor that I exchange home canned goods with. She was so happy when I gave her the quart jars of laundry detergent. She saw the recipe card and laughed and quickly commented that she won’t be making it because she wants me to make it and put it in pretty jars for her.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  4:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“The five root vegetables I can identify are beets, carrots, radishes, and sweet potatoes and reg. potatoes.

I went to our local supermarket (Food Lion) and found eight different root vegetables, five were from my list. All of the root veg. came from the U.S. except the beets came from Mexico

Before I started working on this badge. I didn't know potatoes and carrots were called root vegetables. Now of someone were to ask me "what a root vegetables is" I can answer them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  2:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Cj Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, & Expert Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I am submitting for all three levels, Beginner, Intermediate and Expert.

BEGINNER
The difference between baking soda and baking powder is that baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Baking power is sodium bicarbonate, with cream of tartar and usually some starch. There is single-acting and double-acting baking soda.

My mom baked all of the bread we consumed on the farm and I learned from her. For most of my married life, except for when working, getting college degrees and raising teenagers all at the same time, I’ve baked our bread. Over the years I’ve made all kinds of breads, trying out many different recipes for artisan breads, cinnamon swirl, raisin, different grains, as well as different quick breads, muffins, rolls and cinnamon rolls.

Currently I rotate between my favorite recipes, which are: Oatmeal Molasses bread, Honey Wheat bread and Scottish Baps, which are a traditional morning roll.I use Fleischmann’s Original Active Dry Yeast and I bake the Oatmeal Molasses recipe the most frequently. I’ve been experimenting with changing the ingredients to use less white flour, increasing the oat bran, wheat germ, old-fashioned oats, oat flour and wheat flour in varying amounts to see which combination I like best. With each change I write the ingredient changes down with the date and keep it with the recipe, noting which one I like the best. Of course, the less white flour (I use unbleached from our local mill) I use the more coarse the texture. With different combinations it could be more crumbly and the amount of flour added and kneading time changes the texture.

INTERMEDIATE
There are different yeasts other than the one I use, including “rapid rise”, for breadmaking machines, for pizza, etc. There is also self-rising flour which I use rarely. One can also use beer as a leavening agent as well as baking soda/baking powder. I have used different ones but, go back to the “original” for my breadmaking.

“Beer Bread” is very quick and easy, tasty with chili, stew and/or corned beef and cabbage. I like to use a good stout to make this bread. And, yes, it does rise.

“Traditional Brown Bread” is also a favorite and is basically the same as “Soda Bread” but using whole wheat flour, preferably stone ground, instead of white flour.

“Scottish Scones” are also a favorite bread in our house and I’ve made them in all sorts of varieties, with wheat flour, oat flour, oats, nuts, raisins, etc. My remake would be of the scones, using self-rising flour with buttermilk for the recipe, but then remaking them using “cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda” (according to the Scottish recipe. I prefer the remake as I’d rather not use the self-rising flour.

EXPERT
I’ve been making sourdough breads for many years, keeping my starter going for long periods of time. Occasionally I will use up the starter and start a new batch.

I’ve actually shared my starter recipe with several farmgirls as a result of a thread on the Farmgirl Connection.

Our favorite sourdough baked goods are pancakes and waffles, which are very light and fluffy; drop biscuits and cornbread, including Mexican Cornbread. (We aren’t fond of pimentos so we omit them)
Here’s the recipe for Mexican Cornbread:
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tblsp. sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sourdough starter
1 ½ c. milk
¼ c. vegetable oil
1 c. drained whole-kernel corn
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4-0z.) can diced green chilies
1 (4-0z.) jar diced pimentos, drained (optional)
1 ½ c. shredded Cheddar cheese

Generously grease 13 x 9 inch pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 400F degrees. In medium bowl stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar, set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and stir in sourdough starter, milk and oil. Stir in cornmeal mixture until just moistened. Fold into sourdough mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish, bake for 30-35 minutes or until surface springs back when touched with your fingers. Serve hot. Approximately 12 servings.

I will share this recipe on the same thread on the Farmgirl Connection. Because of the interest generated by this thread, I started sourdough baking again!

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61361&whichpage=1

There is nothing quite as yummy as fresh, homemade bread! My favorite thing to do is slice off the heel of a fresh loaf that is still a bit warm with a little local raw honey and homemade butter! My family knows that the heels are mine!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Pierson (MossHillFarmMomma, #6269) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I was given two feed sack bags as a gift for Christmas. I saved our livestock feed sacks and followed the example to sew my own bags. I now have seven bags to use when I go shopping.

I love my bags! I have bags with rabbits, chickens, goats, cats, and a horse. My sewing could have been a little cleaner. The handles were sewn with several seams and the look seems a little messy.But they are useful and strong. The best part, I was able to reuse an item we would have normally thrown away.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Pierson (MossHillFarmMomma, #6269) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I went to the recycling site and read the signs posted as well as researched on the city website. I continued my research to find the closest location for additional recycling opportunities.

I live in a small rural town and we do not have curbside recycling. However, we do have a centrally located trailer for recycling collection that is hosted by the city and DETCOG. I am able to recycle paper, cardboard, metal, and plastics. I can deliver glass to the Lufkin facility, 50 miles away.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:16:30 PM  Show Profile
Betty Hoffman (Dapple Grey Lady, #5589) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“In researching the history of origami, it is the Japanese art of folding paper into decorative shapes and figures.

Also, paper was invented in China and written records for those time periods are limited so it is unknown whether origami first started in China or Japan.

Origami is the Japanese word for paper folding. ORI means to fold and KAMI means paper.

Together, they form the word, "origami."

Paper folding was a popular children's hobby in England of Queen Victoria's time.

It is an art form that has been handed down through many generations in various cultures.

After several tries and learning to understand the folds, I folded a crane.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:19:47 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I acquired a tree identification guide from our local Cooperative Extension Office. As I walk out my back door into my yard I see Dogwood, Black Walnut and a Red Oak. All these trees are native to Va. The Dogwood is our state tree

Using the tree ID guide helped me to identify other trees that are in our woods and the guide has pictures of the leaves with some very useful information.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:24:54 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I made a collage using scrapbook paper, ribbons, chipboard, silk flowers, buttons, glitter, and a souvenir.

I ripped the papers and layered them using glue dots and double-sided tape.

I have a thing for glitter, so I used both paper and washi tape for added visual brightness.

I also used some watercolor pencils to add a little depth to the petals of the yellow flower.

I added the big yellow flower because the bits and bobs that I had selected for that space just weren't working; they were making it look too cluttered and disjointed.

I like it. It's bright and eye catching and will be fun to display in the summer time.

I'm not so good at creating depth, but I'm working on it.

I'd like to make another paper collage using smaller bits of paper.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“Baking soda is a base - it's alkaline. That means when it's mixed with an acid such as lemon juice, buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, or yogurt. Mixing a base with an acid creates a reaction - i.e. bubbles, which helps create the rise in quick breads.

Baking Powder is a mix of Baking soda with an acid, typically cream of tartar. This is helpful in cases where the recipe does not call for an acidic ingredient.

TO earn this badge, I made three different breads: 1. Blueberry loaf, a molasses bread, and a Paleo bread.

The Blueberry bread used white flour and oat bran with Baking powder.

The molasses bread used white flour and baking soda. The molasses acted as the acid.

The Paleo bread used coconut flour, almond flour, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar to create a rise. It turned out well.

The Blueberry loaf was the most "normal" of the three breads, and thus my family gobbled it up. The oat bran, however, made the bread a little more crumbly.

The molasses bread had no added sugar, so it was a little more dense. It also didn't rise as high as the Blueberry loaf.

Lastly, I made a Paleo bread that turned out better than most of my paleo attempts at bread. I'm becoming much more aware of the right consistency for coconut flour, and so for this recipe I ended up adding in buttermilk to loosen up the dough, which also clearly helped create a nice rise. I will be using buttermilk from now on in my paleo breads.

I added a photo of the paleo bread spread with spinach dip.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:34:07 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Schroder (Lisa Ann, #6182) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I signed up for an online class through Creativebug in beginning embroidery with Rebecca Rinquist. I created a color wheel sampler that spoke to my artistic side using bright colored floss while learning the following basic stitches: running. chain, back stitch. coral knots, double cross and algerian eyes, blanket, lazy daisy, french knot, filled running stitch, herringbone stitch, satin and couching.

The sampler is now framed and hanging in my little studio.

I ordered the muslin pattern through Rebeccca's online etsy shop. I backed it with a flour sack towel. I am pleased with the design and the bright colors and having them right next to one another makes for easy reference. It was easy to follow the instructions from the video. I am a better visual learner than just reading instructions. I found the organic floss I ordered a bit tangly to work with although I loved all the colors. I thought it was a perfect winter project and look forward to her advanced class and a little free styling on some pillowcases in the future.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  3:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Schroder (Lisa Ann, #6182) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Perfect winter project. I took out and organized all the storage containers. I have recently tried to upgrade from plastics to glass (with plastic lids) which all fit nested together. I have also been collecting antique refrigerator storage containers which are lovely, but not microwaveable. The remaining collection are disposable with surprisingly few missing lids since I started storing them with the lids attached. The couple oddballs in the bottom were recycled.

Always freshens spaces to see things in order. Dedicated a large drawer just for these storage containers with the most used in front so they are all easy to access. Plan to add more to the antique collection. Makes me feel more 'Farmgirl.'”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page