Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  4:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Schroder (Lisa Ann, #6182) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I gathered six bags from around my household to start a Bag-within-a-bag collection. It looks like a Russian nesting doll collection. The largest 2 being reusable rice bag totes, then hot/cold insulated bags and fabric and canvas totes. I purchased four others from local gift shops and groceries to promote and support local businesses and too round out the collection. I also tucked two nylon bags that fold into tiny rectangles into my handbag to have at the ready for purchases in places other than the grocery.

The bag collection is folded and tucked into a woven market basket from Whole Foods to be used when farm market season comes. This also keep wall the bags conveniently in place in the trunk of my car rather than having them slip sliding around.

I am surprised at how a seemingly simple assignment has transformed a routine daily/weekly activity. The bag -within-a bag is easy to grab from my car and slip under the grocery cart. I find the rice bag I enjoy the most as their sturdy bottoms keep heavy time upright and safe. It is easier to keep things in order in my car and easier to haul things inside as well. I no longer have piles of the same plastic grocery bags spilling all over my kitchen floor. It is easier to organize the groceries at the store and to peer inside to know which bag to take to a particular area of the kitchen or house.

I fond that has created a greater sense of interaction with my community. I have to pass the bags through check out to the packer rather than them just beginning to fill their own grocery bags. They now ask and seek out the thermal bags for cold items. There is often commentary about the artistic designs on the bags from the store personnel and people in lone behind me. It has given me a chance to put in a plug for recycling and about being a new FARMGIRL. Yes! I am thrilled at how the whole project turned out. I feel more organized, neat, connected and more of a contributor.

I am pleased with my no longer contributing to plastic bag waste in the landfills.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  5:05:20 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Schroder (Lisa Ann, #6182) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Via the internet I found the waste management web site for my area. Under the Think Green heading I discovered what could be recycled and where.

I determined that there is curbside recycling in my town but that the drop-off recycling facilities where too far away.

I have "routinely" recycled for many years but took advantage of the opportunity to get refreshed on the deep rooted reason why I do it and discovered there are many more items that I could/should be recycling.

What can be recycled? Aluminum cans, aluminum foil and bakeware,
steel and tin cans, corrugated cardboard, magazines, office paper , paperboard , juice boxes, clear, green and brown glass, plastics with a 1-7 in the triangle on the bottom of the plastic, car batteries and home electronics and cell phones.

What can't be that I didn't realize? Heat-resistant glass like Pyrex, window glass crystal and light bulbs.

I learned that I need to add many more items to my recycling list and get a hold of the Chamber of Commerce to get my own blue bin.
I need to locate places that will up cycle my home electronics and cell phones, my used printer ink and car batteries.

I will begin to recycle the cardboard that my amazon goodies arrive in rather than put them in our burn pile behind the barn.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  5:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Schroder (Lisa Ann, #6182) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“Being new to my town I needed to establish my pets as new patients. I have a 14 year old Wheaten terrier girl, Karma and a 10 year old Lhasapoo girl called Little Bit.

Researched a vet that practices holistic and natural care within a close proximity. Made initial new patient appointments for vaccinations and wellness checkup.

Read labels and ingredients on their food bags and then researched via the web for additional information.

Our new vet and her staff were wonderfully kind and professional. They took photos of my girls, took time with us and discussed all issues related to their health and my Wheaten Terrier’s allergies.

Food labels… I am pleased with the food Karma has. It has controlled a number of allergy issues that have plagued her over the years. I was happy to find it readily available and recommended in the new office. I don’t believe there are any GMO issues with this particular food as it is for dogs with allergies to many different things.
Key Benefits of Karma’s food

Prescription Diet® z/d® Canine ULTRA is formulated with the following benefits:
• Formulated with Hill's Hydrolyzed Protein System, highly digestible proteins that minimize the chances of adverse reactions to food
• No intact animal protein to help avoid adverse reactions to food
• Highly digestible carbohydrates and fats to help reduce gastrointestinal workload
• Increased in omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids to help nourish the skin and coat
• Added antioxidants to support a healthy immune system

As far as Little Bits food… I believe her holistic wellness brand food is also perfect for her age, size and breed. It Is small size for her small size and all the ingredients check out for me.
Wellness Super5Mix Small Breed Just For Puppy, Adult Health & Healthy Weight recipes along with Wellness CORE Grain-Free Small Breed Recipe are formulated to meet the unique dietary needs of small breed dogs.

Protein, fat and carbohydrates are balanced to meet the high energy needs of small breed dogs. Omega fatty acids are added to maintain healthy skin and coat and glucosamine and chondroitin in adult recipes for hip and joint health. Due to small breed dogs having smaller mouths, all Wellness Small Breed recipes are a smaller kibble size for easier consumption and digestion.
Both dogs have food that is great for their joint and nerve health with the omega -3 added. Both have grains other than wheat to avoid gluten issues.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  5:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd (thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“atkinst2 (farmgirl) and I got together and made bakeovers. I used blackeyed peas, bacon and onions. We then had a taste testing with my DH. Everyone had very good bakeovers.

It was a lot of fun and the lunch was wonderful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  4:12:48 PM  Show Profile
Linda Woodruff (#5951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I took 2 small shadow boxes removed their pictures,repainted them inside and out placed small seashells inside to display on my wall.

They turned out real cute. Our son brought us the shells from Galveston,Texas from one of his trips he made.I also found a cute sailboat clock to put by the boxes that added to my display of shells very nicely. Enjoyed working on this project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  4:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Washington (Lisa Ann, #6182) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I went to the local Chamber of Commerce and was directed to City Hall to collect my shiny new blue recycling bin for curbside pickup. The previous owners hadn't left a bin for us and it hadn't reached the top of the list to track one down. Determined when our pickup times were and learned that there is a yearly curbside pickup of unwanted household items for recycling. I converted the old flour bin in our 1907 kitchen cabinets into a recycling bin with a liner and blue plastic recycling bags to transport to the bin in the barn before pickup. Also purchased a can crusher to make the increased volume more manageable.

The system is working well. The flour bin is located directly across from the regular stainless steel garbage bin and now that I have learned the additional items I should have been adding to the recycling the garbage is redistributed. Much more being recycled. What is now being added that wasn't before the beginner badge research.. clean aluminum foil, magazines if not donated to the library and junk mail.

Also have boxes labeled upstairs in the attic to add items to when I come across them for donation to Goodwill etc. Clothing, small electronics and appliances, knick knacks etc.

I have had two weeks plus of working our new system and one successful curbside pickup. Loving the feeling that I am more throughly doing my part to keep my world clean.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  4:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Briana Bloomfield (mlhancock, #5851) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I learned you can use things to decorate a cake besides icing. I made several cakes and decorated them with cookies, nuts, and fruit. By practicing this, I am able to use unique ways to decorate my cakes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  4:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Briana Bloomfield (mlhancock, #5851) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I learned to bake cakes from scratch using various ingredients. I used different flours, leavening agents, and sweeteners. I learned how to measure my ingredients properly, mix, and bake to perfection. I am now able to make cakes with different fillings, decorations, and for my friends with special diets.

Great! My grandma loves my sugar free cakes, my therapist loves my gluten free cakes, and my mom likes my strawberry preserve filling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  4:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Briana Bloomfield (mlhancock, #5851) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I applied all that I learned in the beginner and intermediate level to create a wonderful treat for my family. I made my cake from scratch using all organic ingredients, applied my decorating skills, and even used a homemade strawberry preserve for filling between the layers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  5:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Bev Gamache (sageradish, #5776) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected 6 reusable shopping bags to be used for shopping. They will now be used for all shopping adventures. As long as collecting a few more in the near future.

I have had these bags and store them in my cooler that we take once a month when we do our grocery shopping. However the bags have now been moved to permanently reside in the car so they can be used every time shoping is done from any store. Yeah! no more of those pesky plastic bags filling up the house.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  5:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Bev Gamache (sageradish, #5776) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I have been knitting since I was 9 years old. In the three hours that was allotted I knitted 2 baby hats for my granddaughter that was born 1/12/15. I also taught my 9 year old grandson how to knit.

The two baby hats that I knitted were a bambino knit pattern from Bev's Country cottage. It was to be knit in the round but as I did not have the correct size knitting needles for that, I used straight needles and made a seam up the back. The pattern turned out fine. My grandson is always fascinated by my handwork so I took the opportunity to teach him how to knit a simple garter stitch scarf for himself. The ends weren't quite even but not bad for his first project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  5:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“Beginner Level:
- Definition of jubilee: the celebration of any certin anniversaries, such as the 25th, 50th, 75th, etc., or the completion of 50 years of existence (Dictionary.com)
- Special jubilee I attended: My 4 siblings and I through a jubilee for my parents for their 25th wedding anniversary. We invited folks they had not seen in YEARS, along with relatives that we do not see very often (my mom’s side of the family is Old Order Amish and some of them even came!) Somehow, we kept it a secret, though we were all quite young… my older sister was 24, I was 19, my younger sister 17, and my brothers were 15 and 11! It was a great celebration complete with lots of food and even more love and laughter.
- British Diamond Jubilee for Queen Elizabeth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Jubilee_of_Elizabeth_II)

Imagine ascending into power sixty years ago. Would you want to celebrate? Would you feel blessed to have been in such a position for such a period of time? Surely Queen Elizabeth II had much to celebrate in 2014, as only the second British monarch to celebrate a Diamond Jubilee. (The first was Queen Victoria in 1897).
Queen Elizabeth II had two guidelines for her jubilee. The first was that the public was not to pay a large amount for the celebration. In fact, she wanted public funds to be as minimal as possible. The second requirement was that the people were not to be forced to celebrate her. If they wanted to, they were certainly welcomed to, but the public was not to be forced.
The celebration was embraced by many, and was celebrated in numerous ways. Considering the vast amount of countries visited by the Queen, along with her love for horses, a show was produced. The show included over five hundred horses and over a thousand performers, from various countries. There were also lunches throughout the area, not all of which the Queen attended, but were in her honor, nonetheless. There were also a “Google Doodle,” a maritime parade, and numerous other celebrations. One of the neatest things was the lighting of beacons throughout the world!
I can only imagine how humbling the experience must have been for Queen Elizabeth II. The love of the people for her really showed through. I wonder if she had ever imagined how the people would react and celebrate her reign!?!?

- Ideas shared: make an apron, have an outside celebration with MaryJane’s recipes, work in the garden – and beautify outside, and invite others to join our celebration.

I understand what our jubilee is about now, and am able to embrace the idea. I am looking forward to seeing how the jubilee takes shape, not just here at my own home, but across our nation!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  5:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“My younger sister has become a Thirty-One consultant. In order to help her out, I hosted a party in January. As such, I was able to get some bags for free and/or extremely reduced prices. The bags I got were their large utility totes and their market bags. The market bags are insulated, so they are perfect to put our cold items in. The large utility totes fit nicely in the shopping carts, and do lovely for non-perishables.

So far we have done really well remembering to bring our bags with us. We go shopping every week (there are eight of us), so we do not use all six bags each time we go, but that just means I have bags to replace the ones I have when they wear out!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  3:46:31 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I created two new ChillOver recipes and took each one to a Chapter meeting. I posted the recipes on the forum in a format that could easily be printed. I gave my chapter ladies the first recipe and emailed the second one.

It was a lot of fun playing with my food. I tried each recipe at home first, then made some adjustments and took them for the ultimate taste test. Both were very tasty, with the Chocolate Moooos just in time for Valentines Day.

I forgot to take pictures. We were too busy eating the treats.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  4:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“I created two additional BakeOver recipes and took one to a Chapter meeting, and posted one to the forum. Both used local and seasonal ingredients.

BakeOvers are a great way to introduce new fruits and vegetables to friends and family. I have not gotten much in the way of leftovers each time I baked one.

When it comes to food and dinner time, I do have a hard time remembering to take a photo before we dig in.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  4:15:59 PM  Show Profile
Sara Knight (YellowRose, #6034) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“I looked up jubilee in Webster’s Dictionary and learned that in the Jewish faith a jubilee was held every fifty years. Slaves were released, debts were forgiven, and property bought was returned. Ordinary jubilees are held every twenty-five years to celebrate anniversaries.

The definition that I think applies to our FarmGirl Jubilee is ‘a time of rejoicing’. We are rejoicing in our Sisterhood, and celebrating MaryJane and her birthday.

I have attended 25 and 50 year anniversaries where I joined in with the celebration of the couple’s years of marriage together. I remember listening as they told how they met and other events of their lives. Beautiful cakes and special food laid out on long decorated tables was a large part of the event, as well as the giving of gifts.

>I looked up Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee on-line. On June 5 a reception took place at Buckingham Palace before the Diamond Jubilee Concert, and a service of thanksgiving was conducted the following day at St. Paul’s Cathedral.

The concert ended with her lighting of the national beacon which was the signal to light 1000s of beacons across the Commonwealth and in other parts of the world.

>Londoners were given a two day Bank Holiday so they could join in on the official celebrations and have more time to enjoy their own celebrations. 10,000 lottery winners enjoyed a royal picnic at Buckingham Palace.

The British are big on picnics and those that did not win the lottery enjoyed their own. A Jubilee Celebration Sandwich was created by former Palace Chef Darren McGrady. I copied both the official picnic menu and the sandwich recipe. I’m planning on making the Beetroot Relish for the sandwich if I can convert their metric measurements to our standard ones.

I have posted the following ideas: I shared how I made an apron garden flag and I will hang a sun ‘field’ bonnet at my front door. On May 6, MaryJane’s birthday I will plant winter and summer savory. Savory is the Herb of the Year.

I learned not only about how the British officially celebrated the Jubilee, but how the people were given time off to join in the celebration in their own way. And I have a new relish dish to try.

My apron garden flag turned out really good, and the savory seedlings are coming along. They will be ready to put in their outside pots by May.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  4:24:15 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“I am submitting application for two levels of this badge; Beginner and Intermediate

BEGINNER:
I know that the following root vegetables can be grown in this area because I have grown them:
-carrots
-beets
-parsnips
-turnips
-radishes
-potatoes
-rutabaga (have not grown this one myself)

I know that all of these vegetables are available in our local markets, as well as ginger root and jicama. In the winter, if our supply is gone and none is available from local growers who have greenhouses I do purchase from our market. We do have opportunity to purchase some produce from local growers at local farmers markets, including one winter market that goes from November through mid-March. Most of the produce in our markets is imported from California, Mexico or South American countries. Some apples are shipped in from Washington, potatoes from Idaho.

INTERMEDIATE:
In our garden this year were beets and carrots, currently still in the ground which is where they’ll be as long as possible. We just dig up a bunch whenever needed. Beets are usually just cooked in the pressure cooker and eaten with a bit of salt, but occasionally in salads and other mixed vegetable dishes.
Carrots are used raw in salads but are a favorite in our curry or stir-fry dishes, as well as just raw as a snack. Photo is of carrots I just dug . . . they aren’t “pretty” but they sure taste good!

Research, so far, does not yield any results for native root vegetables being grown in this area. I had already done a bit of this when working on the Foraging Merit Badge.

There is nothing more satisfying that growing your own food! It is amazing how much better it tastes! Sometimes I wish our growing season was longer!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  4:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I took my "Plants of the Pacific Northwest" field-guide on our hiking trip yesterday and identified as many different trees as I could (Western red cedar, Douglas fir, Maple, Western Hemlock). The trees that were growing in fields had branches from the base to the top, while the trees within the forest mostly lacked lower branches. This allows them to get a lot of sunlight, casting the forest floor in nearly perpetual shade. As we walked back out on our hike, I picked up all the trash I could carry.

i have noticed that evergreen forests tend to have few hardwoods in them, most likely because hardwoods don't tend to grow as tall, and eventually get chocked off from the sunlight by the evergreens. Hardwoods do tend to grow along the edge of these forests though and do well, reach their branches out to the sides. Trees, like all other plants, cycle though any area based in part on the types of nutrients in the soil: nitrogen fixers precede nitrogen users, etc. Tree types are also dependent on elevation, rainfall, and any number of other factors. We were hiking near the ghost town of Fairfax, WA, just outside of Mt. Rainier National Park.

We found some interesting artifacts, and several dumping grounds. We will be going back with some old maps and more trashbags.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  4:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I made my own tool box, and a bench to put by the fire pit. All the wood used in the bench is recycled from an old building in downtown Sumner, WA.

Pre-drilling holes does not guarantee that you will not split the wood when you put the screws in, but it helps.

When using recycled dimensional lumber, make sure all your boards are the same dimensions, at least for the seat, or it may not fit together as you planned. A 2x4 is not the same as a 1-3/4x3-3/4 is not the same as 1-1/2x3-1/2. The old paint looks nice though.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  4:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I spent time in the field finding places to forage before, during, and off season, and learning to identify the plants by location, leaves and stalk characteristics.

I have several books on edible plants of the Northwest and consult them often. I'm surprised I haven't read all the words off the pages yet.

Because we are having an early spring in the Northwest, some native edible plants are already beginning to grow. I took the opportunity to pick some nettle as the young plants make a fine soup or tea, and are loaded with vitamins and minerals. They are a member of the mint family (most notably the square stalk) and thrive near wetlands and where water is near the surface.

I also noted the different wild berry plants, both evergreen and deciduous, and intend to be back to partake of blackberries, huckleberries, black raspberries, wild blueberries, and any other berries not already picked out by the local wildlife.

The area was right for chantrelles as well, so I am hoping to possibly find some later in the season.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  5:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I made my own garden gate, and I made my own hoop house.

I got out and did some weeding in my raised beds today and am going to plant my cold weather veggies in the cold frame tomorrow. I have already had to thin the leeks again and plan to use the thinnings in tomorrow's eggs along with some of the potatoes from last year that I found in the bed I weeded. Spring is in route!

I made a garden gate out of old pallets and recycled wood from a building in Sumner (the same one that provided wood for my bench). We are planning to rearrange the garden, so I am not yet mounting the hardware. I did recover a gate latch from the old barn. It's one of those with the horseshoe welded on it. I plan to use it on the gate as soon as I figure out where I am hanging it. The gate looks pretty cool to me just as it is for now. I cut the arch freehand with my jigsaw.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Christine Clark (ChristyC, #2737) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“The first thing I did, since moving permanently back to the country in September of 2014, was start a compost pile. I keep a large old coffee can on my kitchen counter and all kitchen scraps are collected and taken to the back yard where I have a small pile growing, it is surrounded by old chicken wire at the moment but I intend to build a more permanent compost system in the coming months!

So far so good, it is an ongoing process and my compost heap is small for now but I look forward to beautiful composted soil in the future!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:25:26 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Jubilee Merit Badge!

“JUBILEE CELEBRATION MERIT BADGE, Beginner Level

There are many different definitions for “jubilee”, many of which pertain to certain cultural celebrations.
The one that I like the best and I think is best suited for the Farmgirl Jubilee is this one: “A season of celebration”. Another good one is a special anniversary and to celebrate a special anniversary.

Jubilee celebrations that come to mind that I’ve participated in are:
- Open House Celebration for my hubby and me on our 25th wedding anniversary in December 1993. It was held at a community building, orchestrated by our daughter and my hubby’s family, my younger sister and her hubby. It was a huge celebration!
- 50th and 60th wedding anniversary celebrations for my parents and my in-laws. We were fortunate enough to have both sets of parents stay married to each other that long and all live long enough to celebrate these wonderful anniversaries.

The British Diamond Jubilee was held June 2-5 and included many activities and events. But to name just a few this celebration included a derby race, pageant on the Thames River, BBC concert at Buckingham Palace, beacons lit all across the country, and a Thanksgiving service at St. Paul’s Cathedral and a carriage procession.

People were encouraged to share a Jubilee lunch with their neighbors and friends, participate in the other events as possible and were able to also participate in the beacon lighting which lit over 2000 beacons across the country by communities and individuals. As with any British celebration there would have been a lot of pomp, circumstance and pageantry, I’m sure.

Some ideas I have shared on the Farmgirl Connection:
I plan to begin celebrating this Jubilee by engaging the “chicks” in the Farmgirls Southwest Henhouse. We are a virtual Henhouse, with members scattered all across the US. We'll be able to share in our individual communities and with each other.

I will also be making some special items with the logo to spread the joy in my neighborhood and community. I will also be adorning my fence/yard with aprons, perhaps a bonnet and sharing some baked bread with a neighbor or two.
That's just a start!

It's exciting to see this Farmgirl Jubilee Celebration come about. It will be a great time to promote the farmgirl lifestyle, and help spread the word about healthier living the need for farms . . and help us grow!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:32:40 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“I am not a hunter, but gun safety and regulations and an NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program should do the trick.

The NRA is a great resource for these materials.

I have begun a brand new chapter in my life ... the chapter of gun ownership. I am surprised to be writing this post as I never would have thought I would shoot a gun let alone own one. Let me give you a little background.

I have never been a fan of guns in the house as I thought they posed a huge safety issue. I don't have little one's living with me anymore, but do occasionally have my grandchildren here so I was even more protective. A few months ago, I was home alone and someone came to the door I did not know. We have had a rash of burglaries in our area and even a home invasion not too far from me. I was terrified. This is not like me and for all I now the person on the other side may have been harmless. But what if he hadn't been ... what if he had tried to get in? What would I have done?

I talked to my husband and we decided we both needed to know how to fire a gun safely and how to handle a situation like this in the future. We jumped on Youtube and watched endless videos on different revolvers and then went to a local gun range where I tried several of them out. I liked the idea of a revolver so I could see when it was loaded and how many shots I had, but none really seemed right to me. My husband was set on a semi-automatic Glock 42 pistol and I finally relented and tried it out. I was a little bit scared of having a semi-automatic pistol but I absolutely loved it! Little kick and better control sold me. We purchased two Glock 42 pistols the following week and became members at the range. I also joined the National Rifle Association and downloaded all kinds of materials on gun safety and shooting competitions. Who knew you could do so much to sharpen your skills and have fun too! And earn a Farm Girl Sisterhood badge while doing it! Woo hoo!

The next time on the range I earned my first pistol qualification - Pro-Marksman! To earn this I had to shoot 10 nine inch paper plates with 5 shots each all within a half inch from the edge. I shot 10 on each plate with almost all of them 1 1/2" from the edge.

This is turning into a fun hobby, but also equipping us with a new sense of protection. When the weather gets a little better we will be taking our Conceal and Carry class so we can get our permits to carry our firearms. I am not sure I will actually carry it, but you never know and it is good to have the option. I am not a hunter and don't feel the need to shoot an animal, but being able to shoot is a very good skill to have and there is so much more to accomplish.

This is just another example of stepping out of your comfort zone and tackling your fears. You can do it too! Try something totally out of the box for yourself and let me know how it turns out! Gotta go...the shooting range is calling my name!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:39:40 PM  Show Profile
Katie Wright (#5600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“Hand knit cardigan sweater, from a French pattern that I have had for years. I have made several of these and like having two for myself. Usually I make them as gifts, such as this one is. It is in acrylic yarn so it can be washed easily. I do this when I make gifts as the recipient may not know how to care for wool. Anyway, I have worked on this sweater piece by piece while doing other projects also. It takes awhile to finish a sweater, and then piecing it together, doing finish work, and finishing loose ends all takes time. But it is worth it for such a lovely gift.

This sweater turned out well. Instead of ribbing (k,p) for edges of sweater bottom and sleeves, this sweater pattern uses cables, which I believe make the product look very elegant. I chose buttercup yellow which is very soft, but put on some sparkly buttons to "jazz" it up a bit. After all, women do like "bling".”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page