Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2015 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have researched on the web the recycling requirements for our area, and every other week we have curbside pick up for recycled goods. We have set up the blue recycling box in the kitchen, and things all food items get put into compost.

We have a lot less garbage now, and the children always look forward to going to the recycling depot to return juice boxes and cans.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  3:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia Jacobus (Cissik, #5389) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“People in my circle are fellow Sistes, quilters and just fun people. Happy to have them aboard. I have a few followers but I notice my blog gets a lot of hits which also is fantastic. I love sharing and wish to do more in the future. It's fun~reading other blogs. I've signed up with quite a few. Blogspot has proven easy to use and upload photos.

I searched and created a graphic background for the blog. By using Photoshop, I can have fun creating colors and more specific designs. Will be changing throughout the year. Keep things fun to look at.

Totally enjoying this experience. Love how people share on their blogs.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffany Ann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“We have eliminated all chemical cleaners and I have replaced them with ingredients such as baking soda and vinegar. Part of our mission statement is to keep our home chemical free. Not purchasing them or using them.

I have researched recipes for such things as homemade toothpaste, shampoo and deodorant. I even made the recipe for moisturizer in the December issue of Mary Jane. I have made my own laundry soap for years and only use vinegar as a final rinse. I have shampoo bars curing in the kitchen, they will be ready this week.

I have accomplished the items in the Intermediate level as well as the Beginner Level. We use baking soda and lavender as a carpet cleaner, vinegar for flooring and windows. And goat milk soap for our baths and hands. Every ingredient in these items are eatable. My deodorant and toothpaste both start with a base of organic coconut oil and essential oils, with baking soda. I made a gift of these items for a friend who has been fighting cancer for some time.

I love the new recipes and the best thing is they all work! I swap some of my new soaps and cleaners for such things as getting my goats bred and bum lambs. It has really helped me set goals and expand my recipe collections for cleaners.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffany Ann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“My mother and I did a swap for our 6 grocery bags. We found our favorite animals as the patterns on them-and flowers. I use them when we shop, especially out of town. It makes life so much easier!

I find it so much better than the plastic bags that stores give out. They hold up and they are so easy to clean. I just wipe down the vinyl ones and throw the cloth ones in the wash.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffany Ann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“We have been buying most things in bulk, at least those available to us. Since we live 82 miles from any sizable store, we shop once a month or so. I ride with my Senior citizens bus and buy what I can in bulk. I divide the items up into my quart jars and either freeze them or place them in my cupboard. I buy biodegradable items when I can, but they are pretty rare in these parts. I have found a couple of good books full of ideas of going more natural when cleaning. My husband's asthma has actually improved. We replaced the houseplant spray with a soap based one. It seems to work just fine.

Since it's hard to get biodegradable packaging, I bought as many items in bulk as I could. We only use recycled jars and canning jars as storage, since this keeps them from just being just more trash. It makes me more aware of the labeling of the things I purchase.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffany Ann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I found out that the only recycling available within our town is aluminum cans. We donate them to our volunteer firemen for our annual 4th of July display. So, not to be defeated, I started recycling newspaper as liners of my grow boxes. We have a yucky stuff that seeps up into our soil called Gumbo. The newspapers help to block them. I use cans as chimes, and crafts. I try not to use plastic bags, but if I do, I wash them.

I am reusing a 5 gallon bucket to collect the aluminum cans. It makes it easier to donate them. It seems to make us think about things before we toss them. We try to re purpose them, anyway.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:11:54 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffany Ann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We are now recycling aluminum cans for the firemen. Newspaper are in the grow boxes. Old clothes are now rags. Jars are washed and used as storage or vases. Plastic cups from fast-food drinks are great seed starter pots. Cans are chimes, storage containers, and getting ready to use short ones to protect plants from cut worms when we put the garden in. We wash them and put them in the garden shed. We are on day 21 on recycling.

We've set a goal to minimize our trash. We even use our old coffee grounds from where I work and our own to use in the compost heap. It's getting us into good habits, anyway!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:21:53 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffany Ann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Badge!

“I have currently replaced my deodorant, toothpaste, moisturizer, and I'm waiting for my shampoo bars to cure this week. I know these items didn't use animals. I used only ingredients that could be eaten!

I love these products and the fact they are all natural and hand crafted brings great satisfaction to me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffany Ann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Badge!

“I made cold-pressed goat milk soap and lip balm this week. I use calandula petals, goat milk, lavender flowers, ground oats, organic coconut oil, olive oil, vegetable shortening, and lavender essential oil-organic of course!

The bars are a beautiful brown, and they suds up! It can be used for shampoo as well as bath soap. I call it "Fae and Fannies'" Udderly Ugly Goat Milk Soap. I also made bath salts with lavender oil. My daughter loves to use it for her bedtime baths.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Davis (Tiffany Ann, #6158) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Badge!

“I made a cold-processed shampoo, I just used it and it works quite well. The recipe recommended using lemon water to rinse it out if it builds up. I didn't seem to need any. I made a basket for a good friend that enjoys new healthy goodies as well. She has been battling cancer for quite awhile and found the products wonderful!

I have replaced nearly all my toiletry items with natural home-made items. I'd like to research natural make-up----or go au natural. I did for years! My newest replacement was body lotion. I'm still working on that one.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Chaille Chilcote (#6197) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I have been volunteering at our local children hospital for over a year on the NICU floor. During my time I get to hold babies and assist with any simple tasks that need to be done. I have volunteered almost 200 hours of my time.

I love volunteering on the NICU floor some of my favorite babies to hold are those that are going through detox. I enjoy holding these babies because I know they have difficulty with soothing themselves and if I can help them to get a half hour to 45 minutes worth of rest I know my time has been productive. It is so fun to see photos of the babies growing up and when they come back to the hospital to visit it is so exciting it see how big they have gotten. I love volunteering my time to the littlest survivors!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“My daughters wanted me to learn how to make amigurumi dolls for them. So I purchased a few patterns and got busy. I enjoyed working with my daughters, spending time with them, choosing yarns to make each doll just right. So far I have made four dolls of different sizes.

On each doll I have been able to spend time with my daughters as I work on their doll. Letting them practice on stitches and make choices. They even helped me stuff them. The dolls made were a Geisha Girl, A Kitty, Tinker Bell, and an Elf.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“My husband bought me some lovely Deluxe Worsted Superwash wool while on a business trip. It was in my favorite shade of pink. I found a beautiful pattern and started to crochet.

I finished a wonderful cardigan and added vintage mother of pearl buttons from my collection to finish it off. While working on the sweater I have been able to show several people how to crochet. Co- workers have grown interested and my daughters are learning. So I have more than five people learning to crochet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Lori Day (#4829) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I first studied the history and various types of Japanese paper and techniques for origami and then I made a Kabuto-Samurai Helmet, a Hana Bako-flower Box, a Kodomo Boshi-Child's Hat, and a Hashi Bukuro-Chopsticks Wrapper.

I think it made a very elegant but simple table setting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Lori Day (#4829) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I put together a homemade pinkeeper out of a mason jar and sawdust which turned out cute and with the rest of my collection, I now have a sewing basket for that needed occasion.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Lori Day (#4829) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a pink floral apron with plenty of pocket space.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  3:43:23 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Graziani (CindyG, #4735) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I have had a fear of making a quilt because I know there are so many potential mistakes to be made, and I did not want to do all that work and end up with "product" I could not use. So I sought the advice of wise ladies at the local quilt store, who advised "precuts". I bought some fun fabric in a charm pack, practiced and practiced the 1/4 inch seam, and put together some rows which became little "cat mats". I made covers for the dining room chairs that serve as cat perches for bird watching at the windows. I learned how to "nest" the seams so the patches went together well, and am a master at making and attaching binding from all the aprons I've made. Or so I thought - a few little glitches in that process, so I see rounded quilt corners in my futures. I did the "stitch in the ditch" quilting along the seam lines, and that was harder than I expected it to be.

I am actually pretty pleased with how they turned out, except attaching the binding by machine - not as smooth as I had hoped. The fabric is a little retro and reminds me of my Grandma, so the whole project made me happy. The cats adopted their mats immediately, so I would call it a success. I took lots of notes and wrote down questions for the quilt shop ladies so I can try to not make the same mistakes twice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  3:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I already know how to cross-stitch so I spent time with my daughter (8 years old) to teach her a simple little cross stitch pattern.

She did well - it was a bit tricky for her, but she did well considering her age.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  3:54:01 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I taught myself how to rag quilt several years ago, but decided I wanted to learn how to make a real quilt, so I made a quilt for my son.

I am quite happy with the results.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  4:28:21 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I'm a music teacher, so what I did was do this with my children. We discussed three composers (Mozart, Beethoven, Cage), their style/rhythm/melody/harmony preferences and also listened to their music and discussed the similarities and differences.

The kids loved it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  4:31:04 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Music Merit Badge!

“I posted about John Cage and Glenn Gould on the Poor House Chapter Chatter chat room. I knew about Glenn Gould already - did some reading up and listening to enhance and remind myself of things. As for John Cage - I knew a little of him, but I spent some time learning more in depth about him, and also created a lap book to use with my students on John Cage.

Great - it was actually fun sharing in the chat room about the composers - I rarely get to chat with adults on this topic, so it truly was fun!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  4:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Music Merit Badge!

“I already play piano, flute, organ, accordion, auto harp, violin and recorder. I have recently started teaching myself guitar.
I enjoy singing, and teach singing to a small group of young children (hopefully this will count towards the joining a choir?) and also have participated in accompanying and performing in public on the piano. I have attended one choir performance in last Sunday, and quite often attend choir performances, as much as I am able.

The little group of children is delightful to teach. I have taught K-6 general music education, and really enjoy teaching a small group of children. I also used to teach an interdenominational adult choir, but would rather sing than conduct sometimes :) Too much teaching is a bit redundant - sometimes you just want to sing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  4:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I researched the history of buttons from their earliest record, and because I found it so fascinating, I kept going until modern times. The earliest buttons were made of wood, bone, and metal mostly, and were shank buttons. They were also used only as decorations. As technologies changed, so did what the buttons were made of, and eventually what they were used for.

I have also collected a variety of older buttons made of metal, wood, leather, rubber, glass, shell, china, fabric, and plastic. These buttons were all most likely made in the last century, but their exact dates are questionable. Since they came from Grandma's stash, they are likely from the 50's or earlier.

The history of buttons, and some of the laws about who could wear or manufacture them, is very interesting. In the earliest times, it was almost as if a person was wearing the contents of his or her coin purse on his or her clothing. Until the advent of plastics, button were actually expensive to make.

I have a huge box in which I keep my buttons, except the ones made of shell. Digging my hands into the buttons and letting them trickle through my fingers makes a sound as satisfying as coins trickling through my hands. It's just plain luxurious. Each of my children has also played with my buttons, sorted them, and used them to decorate projects. Buttons are as fine as any crown jewels.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  4:44:43 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“1. I live in a small town where holistic vets are hard to come by, though my vet is open minded. For example, we delayed spaying my dog until after she experienced her first menses in order to let her body fully mature. This was not something that they typically do, though they understood the logic of it and didn't discourage me from waiting.

2. We got our collie from a breeder who used a more natural kibble called Life Abundance. I researched the ingredient list, and it does not include corn, wheat, or soy products. It does not say whether or not the animal products are non-GMO, but I've sent off an email inquiring about it. I am happy to report that the kibble contains probiotics and micro nutrients like copper.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  4:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“Trees in my yard in Northern Wisconsin:

1. Jack Pine
2. White Oak
3. Red Maple
4. Paper Birch
5. White Pine

Yes, all of them are native to my area. I got this from dnr.wi.gov - a .pdf file that lists all the native trees.

It appears that in my neighborhood, the few non-native trees are fruit trees such as apple, pear, and cherry. There are also a few flowering crabapple trees that are not native.

I'm glad most of the trees are native to the area.

Interestingly, because the soil is sandy, there are Jack Pines everywhere whereas traveling south an hour means more hardwoods in forms of Oaks and Maples.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page