Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  3:25:12 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Bradshaw (tammyb, #541) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have been making my own laundry soap for a while now... I have given away the recipe and the soap to family and friends to try. I make my own home cleaners instead of buying them and I am making our soap also. I have compiled my "recipes" into a journal for easy access and to be able to lend to anyone interested.

This has saved my family money over the last few months. My home smells better and I know we are no longer toxic!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  3:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Bradshaw (tammyb, #541) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“My home is now "green". I have been using an outside cloths line and an inside line since moving to the house 8 years ago. We have removed all carpet (except for 2 rooms) and place hardwood flooring in. Those last 2 rooms will have to wait for more funds. I have helped a girlfriend with "cleaning up" her home and given her my "recipes" for homemade cleaners. I have a list of books I am willing to lend and given this out to a few friends.

This project was fun to do. Most things I already were doing but some not. The list of books was something I had not thought to do. Also, making a journal with all my homemade recipes in to be able to share was something I had not thought about.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  3:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Bradshaw (tammyb, #541) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have done my research on what can be recycled and what cannot. We have a printed out copy that we can go to for any reminders or questions.

This was an easy thing to start. We have even found a place that will take appliances and such for recycling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  3:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Bradshaw (tammyb, #541) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have determined what can and cannot be recycled in our area. Also, we found a place that takes appliances and such to recycle. We have our system set up in our garage. Our local refuse man does not recycle but my husbands work does. So we take our recycle to his workplace once a month.

This has worked out very well for our family. We even take our daughters recycle items when we take ours.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  3:51:32 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Bradshaw (tammyb, #541) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“After doing my research on organic beauty products compared to commercially made products I started weeding through what was in my cabinet. As I used up a products I found a replacement or in some cases I just let it go and didn't find the need to replace it. I have made my own: lip balm, and bath salts.

I think this was an interesting find. So much of what is out there is not good for us at all. I have purchased a few books on making my own lotions and even make-up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  3:53:06 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Bradshaw (tammyb, #541) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate & Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I combined this level and the expert level. I have made beard oil for my hubby and perfume for myself. I am now using only organic or self made beauty products. My lip balm is a hit with family and friends.

Really like the way the self made products have turned out. Not missing the commercial products at all.

I have started a journal with my "recipes" for the beauty and health products I have made that we like. I am making a copy of this journal for my girls. We added body butter to our list of new things to try - turned out lovely.

This was a fun project to work on. We are now making most of our beauty products. And looking for new recipes to try for those few things that we are still purchasing. Found my essential oils were an added bonus!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  4:01:18 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Intermediate Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“I read two books on how to write novels. "How to Write a Novel: 47 Rules for Writing a Stupendously Awesome Novel That You Will Love Forever" by Nathan Bransford and "Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story" by K. M. Weiland.

Each book offered great advice on novel writing, but delivered the advice in vastly different styles, and touched on different aspects. I have already started expanding my first 500 words and applying the information I have gleaned.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  4:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Kristie Bulla (#3679) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-arms Merit Badge!

“I was raised with hunting and guns. My oldest son (11) and I completed our Hunter Safety course at Bass Pro Shops but have not been hunting yet. My husband and I also have our CCP (Concealed Carry Permit).

I was happy to complete the class since we moved to NC from another state. It's important to familiarize yourself with local and state laws.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  4:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Birkner (Lisa Marie, #1196) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“Did the first two projects from a beginner crochet book. 1 is a scarf made from 9 chain stitch strings about 72 inches each and then tied together. 2 is a coaster made from two single crochet squares attached with single crochet edge.

I like them. The chain stitch strings took about 20 to 30 minutes each depending on the thickness of the yarn, that was a surprise. The coaster is a little crooked but it works, cotton yarn feels different from the other type.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  4:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Birkner (Lisa Marie, #1196) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level
Cross-stitch Merit Badge!

“this is from a kit that included everything I needed. It was a good challenge to do the counting but satisfying, took a bit to figure how not to drag the thread across the back and tie the knots.

I think it looks great. Now to find out how to frame it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  4:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Seefeldt (jseefeldt, #3841) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was a young girl. When she passed away, it became a way to keep her close to me. My son's girlfriend commented when she saw me crocheting a blanket for Project Linus that she would like to learn. I purchased her a set of crochet hooks to begin with and a skein of yarn. We spent an afternoon learning the basic stitches.

I am proud to say she has excelled and I dare say is a more proficient crocheter than I am. She made me a beautiful scarf to thank me for teaching her.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  4:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Kristie Bulla (#3679) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I've been aware of the benefits to using natural and organic products for years. Sometimes these items can be cost prohibitive, but I do what I can. I have stopped using the typical fluoride toothpaste and use Tom's fluoride-free instead.

The simple product that I made for this badge was sugar scrub. I actually made a large batch of peppermint holiday scrub that I gave out this last Christmas. Today my Farmgirl Sister Tiffany came over, and we made a smaller batch of almond vanilla scrub that turned out beautifully.

I loved the scrub! I ended up giving away all my holiday scrub jars without having a chance to really try it myself. I just used today's almond vanilla scrub on my hands after doing evening farm chores, and my hands feel so soft!! Love it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  3:45:37 PM  Show Profile
Christine Clark (ChristyC, #2737) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have been purchasing grocery items that come in packages that can be reused or repurposed or can be recycled, I have also been doing research on how to replace common household cleaners with all natural ones and I have been using homemade laundry detergent for about a year, with no plans on going back!

I have learned a lot about the toxic chemicals in the cleaners we use on a daily basis and how they are harming our environment and the people that use them, I plan to continue to strive for a chemical free home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  3:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Christine Clark (ChristyC, #2737) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have set up a series of containers for the items that are recyclable and have been working on getting my family used to using the system. Since discovering the challenges of recycling in the country I have been trying to reuse and repurpose a lot of our "trash". Since spring is coming and the garden will be going in soon a lot of our "trash" will be reused as planters, compost etc.

It has been fun trying to find ways to reuse items and create less trash. It is now a commitment our family has made to be more aware of what we consume and the impact on our environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  4:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Intermediate Level Spinning Merit Badge!

“There are a couple of different ways of preparing fiber for spinning; you can comb them (like silk) or card them (like lamb's wool). Using a drop spindle, I spun a couple of balls of single-ply thread/yarn. To ply multiple threads or yarns together, you must first make sure that they are twisted the same direction, then you ply them as if you were spinning the fiber into thread but being very careful not to let to much yarn unroll form the balls lest they come untwisted. To set the twist in the yarn, first wrap it into a skein (a niddy noddy makes this relatively easy), then get it wet either with plain water or in a dye vat. Make sure you have taken the skein from the niddy noddy first though. Squeeze the excess water out and hang to air dry.

After having spent over 20 hours spinning to get my thread even (takes LOTS of practice), I made enough beginner kits (drop spindles, raw lamb's wool, and handouts) for my Farmgirl Chapter and showed them all how to card the wool, then spin it into thread with a drop spindle with varying degrees of success.

Spinning with a drop spindle is a lot of work. I suspect it might be easier if my spindle had a but more weight and made better use of gravity. I was surprised to see just how far a little roving went depending on yarn thickness. Making a lace weight thread would take very little roving as opposed to making a sport weight yarn.

Teaching the other ladies how to card the wool was fun. Talking to them about why the wool needs to be carded and why the carded wool needs to be removed in a particular way was a little more challenging. Once I showed them how to spin the wool it all made more sense though. We card or comb to separate and straighten the fibers so that we can spin the fibers into an even thread. Fibers that are not all running the same direction do not spin so easily.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I made lotion using bees wax as one of the ingredients and all organic oils. It turned out luscious. It smell like honey and oranges.

I have replaced all my health and beauty products with natural products and organic where I can get it. I have purged my other products, except the eye shadows and blush (they make good doll paint).

I gave a gift basket which contained some of my homemade lotion and lip balm, a hand knit wash clothe, and a couple of hand poured candles, to a friend. She's in love.

I do so enjoy kitchen chemistry, whether for inside the body or outside. The joy of creating makes my soul sign.

Giving some of the things away to people who enjoy homemade is icing on the cake.

Life is good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  4:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“The German influential person I chose was Albert Einstein. I thought I knew a lot about this man, at least as far as science went. I knew very little in fact. The time he spent as a patent clerk was just a blip on the screen of his life. While he is well known as being quite the brilliant physicist and mathematician, he is also known as a better than fair musician.

I spoke about him at this past Sisterhood meeting, but I think I lost them at Einstein. Had he been a quilter I probably would have fared better.

I learned that most of the women in my chapter are writers and look upon math and science as some bug to be squashed. I am clearly outnumbered in this matter. However, the research I did on the man himself was very interesting. He wasn't just brilliant, he was, and still is, fascinating.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  4:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Candlemaking Merit Badge!

“I showed one of my friends how to make a candle and we made a six pack of molded candles together. I made two hand dipped taper candles (don't dip too fast or the wax melts off faster than it goes on). I found a candle in my home that can be found locally and posted on the Farmgirl Connection (Candlelight delight) its ingredients (wax, scent, and coloring) and if it was toxic.

Everything that burns is toxic. Humans don't breathe CO2 very well. Some things that burn just add more harmful chemicals to the toxic smoke than others.

I have learned not to let my stir spoon catch on the bottom of the wax pot as when it pops loose, I wear the wax (so did the stove and the floor).

Using my old pants hanger (you'll see it in the photo) really made things a lot easier.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  4:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Hayden (RachelLeigh, #5159) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Research has been completed on what can and cannot be recycled in our area and, since then, all cans/cardboard/plastic is cleaned and placed in bins white bins (bought at Ikea) beneath my kitchen island and when they're full, they are added to our special recycling container to be picked up as part of our trash pick-up. Every two weeks, our 64 gallon recycling bin is brimming with items, but our 32 gallon trash can is only about 75% full of trash destined for the landfill.

Have successfully reduced the trash we send to the landfill by over 70% in the past 90 days through our home recycling initiative.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  4:57:12 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Breadmaking Merit Badge!

“There are two basic types of yeast: fresh (must be refrigerated or frozen and is highly perishable, must be proofed before using) and dry (both active dry and rapid rise do not need to be refrigerated unless you buy bulk and open the package). The biggest difference between active dry and rapid rise is the amount of time it takes to rise, although you do give up flavor and texture in order to have it rise faster.

I made 2 different breads using yeast and converted both of the recipes to use baking powder. I posted the results in the chatroom.

Using yeast or baking powder is a trade off of flavor and texture as well as time. I was surprised to find the the replacement ratio is 1:1. You do have to make sure you add an acid if you are using baking soda or use double acting baking powder which contains two acids.

While doing research I found out that you can use butter milk and yogurt as leaveners as well. They probably take as long as sourdough to rise. An experiment for another day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  5:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Jill Schrader (OneCountryChick, #6177) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“Back in September I found myself without one of my day jobs as a seamstress for someone else's sewing business, as they had just moved out of state. I had dreamed of having my own sewing business making something fun, not just alterations like I had done years ago. So I had thought about it, really, for years. Now I was at a place to really go for it! I grabbed a journal from the store, and sat down one day in September and wrote down ideas and thoughts as they came to me. I thought about volume of work, how big did I want to grow it, a hobby or as much income as I could muster from it, prices of materials, hours I wanted to work, catchy business names, etc. Everyday I would research more information and my dream was becoming a reality!! I actually just opened my business November 1st.

I knew I needed to promote myself, so I contacted MaryJanesFarm to see a bout sending some sample items of my kitchen linens I wanted to sell online. I was told to mail some your way and then I was approved! My shop was recently added to the Project Farm list and I just had my items as part of the Giveaway Drawing!! Country Kitchen Linens, where I make and sell country-style kitchen linens.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2015 :  4:14:31 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Speak for the Trees Merit Badge!

“I researched wind breaks to find out how useful they are and how one is planted.

I went to a local park and identified at least three different trees growing there, they were all native.

A windbreak is a row or rows of plants, bushes and trees that help reduce or redirect the wind. They should be planted along the prevailing wind side of the property and should extend beyond the end of the area to be protected as eddies will forms at the ends of the windbreaks. Planting smaller plants in front and graduating up to trees provides a slope to guide the wind upwards and over. The taller the windbreak, the greater the protected area behind it.

The park I went to is the local Veteran's Memorial Park, down by one of our salmon creeks. There are cottonwoods, Douglas firs, and a maple, all of which are native to our area. It is a nice little park.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2015 :  4:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“I have explored some of the recipes in MaryJane's Idea Book and fed them to my family.

I have further been experimenting with BakeOvers and different fruits and vegetables and have gotten my family involved in picking things to go into the BakeOvers and then provide feedback on what works and what didn't.

For the most part, the experiments have been a success. Dinner doesn't take as long to prep or cook either.

I am thinking about experimenting with my sourdough starter and making a sourdough cover for one of my BakeOvers. Stay tuned for the results.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2015 :  4:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Breadmaking Merit Badge!

“I made a sourdough "mother" using MaryJane's recipe and flour. This past Saturday I made bread and shared the results in the chatroom forum.

My "mother" is as temperamental as my 10 year old. My bread made a better brick than sandwiches. It made okay croutons though.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2015 :  4:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected 10 reusable cloth bags, and have them in the trunk of my car ready to use on my next trip to town! I also have a one that can fold up very small, and is tucked away in a little carrier that is about the size of a debit card - this I keep in my purse, so when I have a moment I forgot my bags in my trunk, I have it in my purse ready to go!

It's turned out great! The little one in my purse is always handy for the little things I purchase when I forget to bring a bag from trunk vehicle.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page