Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  4:09:18 PM  Show Profile
Kari Workman (kari22, #4322) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We've been recycling as much as possible for a couple of years now with our curbside recycling program. A few years ago I started calling our garbage collection company and asking about starting up a recycling program.

It feels great to keep things out of the landfills!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  4:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Kari Workman (kari22, #4322) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I decluttered my "Tupperware" cabinet. I recycled any old or mismatched containers, or donated them if they were still in working order. I'm moving towards only glass storage containers.

The cupboard looks so nice now!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  4:42:34 PM  Show Profile
Kari Workman (kari22, #4322) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the trailer of the movie The Vanishing of the Bees" and added it to my watch list. I also read the book "The Secret Life of Bees".

We have recently moved into an old house with lots of established landscaping that's pretty to look at but doesn't provide us with any food. We planned on pulling the bushes out and replacing them with vegetable gardens... until I was out there in the middle of the day and noticed how many bees are there! We will now have to come up with a different plan for the placement of our vegetable gardens.

I'm very happy that I noticed the bees before we ripped out their habitat!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  4:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Kari Workman (kari22, #4322) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“Living in Colorado, we go hiking in different places all the time! We are teaching our son to identify our state's bird, tree, and flower and have photographed all three. We make safe campfires when we go backpacking (if allowed) as well as in established campgrounds.

It's nice to pass down information such as this to our son!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  4:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Kari Workman (kari22, #4322) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I made a sweater for myself! I've also knit socks, blankets, and several sweaters for my son. He likes to help pick out the yarn and pattern. I knit with my mom for over 5 hours. The knitting bug has definitely hit me!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  4:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Kari Workman (kari22, #4322) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I learned how to make a quilt by using a quilting kit from a local quilting store. It was a small baby blanket. It had a simple square pattern on the front, a light batting, and a simple back. I used stitch in the ditch for the quilting.

It turned out well! After I washed it some of the seams started to tear but I was able to fix it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  4:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Kari Workman (kari22, #4322) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“Last Christmas I made over 25% of our gifts. Any new decorations in our home are handmade. It was great seeing the look on people's faces when they unwrapped their knit, baked, and sewn gifts!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:12:09 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Peabody (katnip05, #2763) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I chose some of my favorite buttons from my collection and used jewelry wire to attach them to a charm bracelet. I also made a charm out of shrinky-dink plastic for each of the badges I have earned. I attached them in the same way I did the buttons and I left lots of room for all of the badges that I will earn in the future!

I love wearing my new bracelet! I get lots of compliments on it & my sister asked me to help her make one of her own!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:16:39 PM  Show Profile
Sharon McClaskey (#5210) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a full apron from Simplicity 5961. I added a double ruffle to the hem of view A. I then wore it to show my friends at my Friday quilt circle.

It is so cute. I had purchased the Glamping fabric with coordinates. I don't have a camper but I can dream when I wear it. Again I do not have the capability to send a photo by computer. Call 717-698-9720 with a number that I can send a text to.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:23:02 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I have sewed off and on for about 15 years after my dh bought me a really nice sewing machine as a gift. When I first got it, I made some dresses, but it has been over ten years since I made anything from a pattern in quite some time. I almost forgot completely how! After "finding" MaryJanesFarm several years ago, I was inspired to start sewing again.

After my dear grandmother passed away, I received a few of her things, including a bag of old patterns, mostly for aprons. I wanted to make one of her patterns, and make an apron in her honor. I wrote a blog entry on the Suburban farmgirl blog here: http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/default.asp?Display=107.

My kitchen is "done up" in cherries, so I wanted fabric in a cherry print. I couldn't wait to make an apron, since I have been collecting aprons for years.

In the end, I decided not to make a pattern from my grandmother's pattern stash, (I didn't want to harm her patterns. I'd rather look through them from time to time and reminisce about her). I decided to make an apron from a pattern I found that was similar. I found colorful cherry print fabric with a black background, and a sweet, vintage-inspired print for the trim in a red and white calico. I trimmed it in lots of red and white ric-rac. On the pocket is a big red and white bow. That bow came from one of my favorite dresses that my daughter wore as a baby. She wore it so much, it was too worn to save, but I saved the trims. I "debuted" my apron at a Farmgirl Sisterhood chapter get-together (our late Spring Brunch). I think my grandmother would be proud of my apron!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Since I started sewing again recently, I wanted my "sewing room" to be more organized. I got all of my sewing supplies that had somehow found their way here and there, and got everything ready to inspire me to relax in my sewing room with a good project!

I cleaned out my sewing basket. It is an organizer meant for a sewing supplies, with pretty fabric on the outside. Inside, I organized my needles, machine needles, scissors, pinking shears, and other notions and trims.

I put all of thread in a beautiful Longaberger basket with wooden lid, where my thread won't get dusty.

I have a cute, antique pin cushion with a furry little mouse holding scissors I bought at an antique store, but it isn't very big, so I made a pin cushion using fabric that matches the bed spread in the room. I used a little sand in it to weight it, and stuffed it with stuffing.

I also re-purposed a small box with drawers that my dh was not using. It is meant to hold screws and washers, etc. I organized all of my embroidery floss in it.

I love my sewing room again! I am inspired to sew more. I have some more projects waiting for me to tackle. Nothing is better than an afternoon spent with a cup of coffee, a good sewing project, and some Ella Fitzgerald music playing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:29:39 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Inspired to sew again, I had to review every aspect of sewing since it had been so long since I had really worked on anything consistently.

I wasn't sure what kind of project to start with, until I was inspired by a bag made with a ready-made tote on Pinterest.

This was a good project for me to start with, as it uses a ready-made bag and strips of fabric. I had to sew straight seams by turning the edges of the fabric up twice and sewing them straight across, then sewing them on one end to attach to the bag.

I decided to make a phone pocket for the inside in a coordinating fabric. I lined it and used the flower print fabric at the top of the pocket for contrast. I had to sew the strips on the outside where the pocket was inside by hand.

For the bottom of the bag, I took a piece of cardboard from a cereal box and covered it in fabric, sewing it to the bottom of the bag.

To finish it, I made a fabric flower with a pearlized button on the inside of the bloom, and leaves from the coordinating fabric. It was a great project and I have had so many compliments on my bag. I love that I made it, and that it was using all scraps and material that I had on hand!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I contacted my local extension office and they referred me to a few books and online resources. They recommend books by Sam Thayer. I was a to get a couple copies of his books.

I have started reading his books and have learned some of the basics of foraging. I am continuing to read and learn more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Peabody (katnip05, #2763) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I used the website for my local power district and the EPA website to learn more about where our power comes from.

I learned that most of our energy still comes from coal and even though our power company says it's "clean coal," they are creating almost twice as much air pollution as the national average... yuck! There is a push to convert to more sustainable sources, mostly wind energy, but it's a slow process.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:44:08 PM  Show Profile
Terri Wedding (teacups, #5009) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I interviewed my Grandma Esther. I asked her many questions about her life growing up. I asked her to tell me about her parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. I asked her if she had any family memorabilia that she could share with me.

My grandmother gave letters and other papers and pictures that had been handed down to her. My great grandmother kept letters from her mother and sisters through out the her life. I found out that my grandmother was a tom boy and she loved to fish and climb trees. She gave me so much information on her childhood that I could visualize what she was telling me. It helped that I grew up in the same place that she did. It had changed and was nothing like when she was child, but the landmarks were still there. We both had a great time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:47:18 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I enrolled in a CPR & first aid class at our Bible camp. As the nurse that works at camp & this year as the nurse who will be going on the trail with the wranglers, I needed to have those updated. I spent the whole day with the instructor, tapes & practical practice.

I was surprised to see that much hadn't changed. It is was so good to refresh my skills. I believe that everyone should take a first aid & CPR class regularly as you never know when your skills will be needed. Be prepared. Be ready. Use!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I picked a quilt to make for a baby gift. It took me over 30 hours to make it. But it was a new pattern & much more challenging. I did some of the quilting process on my own. I also quilted at my quilting class with 5 friends for over 10 hours.

The quilt turned out beautiful. The little one that received the quilt looked so precious in it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I picked a baby sweater to knit for another baby gift. This pattern taught me to do post stitches, and to read other patterns. It took me approximately 27 hours to complete--just in time for the baby shower. I knitted with different friends for over 5 hours.

The sweater turned out so cute. I also made a bonnet to match. The young woman that it was given to was thrilled. She is a special young lady tome, as I was at her birth at home the day she was born--I was her mom's midwife. She can't wait to try it on her baby.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  4:56:05 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We've recycled for over 30 years. It is so easy to do. I have talked about it to so many people, but actually saw results as many people in our church are now recycling, especially at church. We even got the children to help in recycling at the last potluck. Another generation, YEAH!

I love to recycle & helping others to see how to stop filling landfills is very rewarding. And starting children to think about it is a great thing too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  5:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Knox (#4359) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“During the months of June and July, I volunteered more than 10 hours at Red Bank Battlefield in National Park, New Jersey. My 12-year old daughter is a docent at the battlefield house and has encouraged me to join in her efforts to honor the Quaker family that lived there during the Revolutionary War. I have assisted on tours, helped behind the scenes and baked surprised for the other volunteers.

Since childhood, volunteering has always been a passion of mine. As an adult, volunteering with my daughter is almost an every day occurrence. I enjoy meeting new people and learning new things from them. Volunteering allows me to learn from others and oftentimes makes me realize how very blessed I am. It also gives me a feeling of pride and satisfaction. I believe God wants us to take care of the least of these and by volunteering in any fashion, I feel His plans for us are fulfilled.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  1:28:12 PM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for completing a Beginner Level "Farmgirl Grammar" Merit Badge!

"Howdy, girls! MBA Jane here. Working on my Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Badge. A new word every day for two weeks—whew! That’s a lot of reading in my big ol’ bright-red dictionary (but it totally matches my new red shoes, so whatevs).

So, darlings, I do declare, in my determination to dig through the dictionary, I am detecting it is my destiny to discover a deluge of delightful new words."

Earn a Beginner Level "Farmgirl Grammar" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.raisingjane.org/journal/16412

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  4:18:00 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (Killarney, #) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Using one of my Grandmother's canning jars I assembled everything you need to mend a tear or sew on a button. I like it very much. It is so easy to use.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  4:19:03 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (Killarney, #) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I made a scarf using a 9 mm hook and eyelash yarn, which a friend said that was very hard to use, but I practiced on some regular yarn first. Working with this type of yard, you did have to feel your way for the stitches and I counted often to make sure I did not lose or add a stitch!

I think it turned out well, it is warm and so soft! And it is for a farm sister's birthday!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I crocheted for more than twenty hours (five of those in the presence of friends and strangers) and learned a new stitch.

For this level of the badge, I created my own patterns using a combination stitches I already knew and adding post stitches to my repertoire.

I made two pillow tops, and two red,white, and blue dishcloths which I gave to friends. My most favorite creation is the yoga mat bag made for my daughter using to variegated yarns with common shades of blue.

I am becoming more and more confident in my abilities and now feel no qualms about crocheting in front of others.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  4:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Knox (#4359) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“Two weeks ago I dusted off my high school dictionary and looked up two weeks worth of new words. At first I was bemused by this Sisyphean task, but soon I no longer yawped at the esse of these new words. I logged my new word friends into a notebook and referred to them during the two weeks.

Being a middle school Language Arts teacher, it was interesting to look up words as if given my own homework assignment. I enjoyed the small task and look forward to the coaptation of more words into my notebook.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page