Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  12:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (Killarney, #3392) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Music Merit Badge!

“I started piano lessons in 1968 until 1973. I married and started a faily so I played when I could. I started studying again in 2007. I am currently studying with a new teacher.

I was in a local choir at a country church down the road from my house it is over 100 years old, They closed it and it is on the Historic Tennessee Register now. All of us have to go to church in the big ole city! LOL! being only 20 miles form Memphis, We go to hear friends bands play or sing almost every week all year long!

I am pleased at how far I have advanced just this year.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  12:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Get 'er Done Merit Badge!

“I started a thread on the MJF forum, under "cleaning" to help farmgirls get jobs finished. I do not have the luxury that most women do, with farmgirls close enough to participate in cleaning my own home.

I started the thread in April of 2013 and my major projects inside my home were completed over 5 months. Jobs included wiping walls, cleaning light fixtures, and many other deep cleaning tasks.

The thread is also continuing, and farmgirls are encouraging one another to complete tasks, cleaning, and other in-home projects.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Pennie Still (Pstill, #5381) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“My dad passed away in 2001 and after that I realized that I wanted to document everything that my dad had told me, so that my kids and future grands would know and I knew too, that my brother & sister weren't going to do it, due to the amount of time they didn't have to invest in it.

So I have become the family history keeper. Then, in 2009 my mom passed away. So, for the last 8 years of my mom's life, she helped me by telling me everything she could remember about her childhood, what she remembered about her great grandparents, grandparents and what she could remember my dad talking about also. I wrote everything down and then I began my searches, using Ancestory.com and the US Census searches, coming up with all kinds of leads... they were leading me in all kinds of directions!

I went to Barnes & Noble and found 2 books, one to keep all my family history in and the other was a Grandmothers book, which I had mom sit down and fill in, it was a question & answer book and she also added in a few personal things for each of the 5 grand children she had and any future grands she would have after her passing. I still continue to work on it and now that I'm married, I have started to research my husbands family history too. He has come along with me on many trips to cemeteries and locations of all of his greats homesteads.

It's turned out to be one of the best things I have ever become interested in doing. I have learned a lot, not only about their names and such, but I have recently come in contact with a distant relative on my dad's side that I never had even heard of when my dad was living. I recall hearing him talk about this cousin's father, which was my dad cousin but never any children. This was because my dad's cousin had moved away with his mother to California (from Ohio) after my dad's cousin had passed away in WW2. Very interesting stuff!! I have since reconnected with that cousin and that side of the family that lives out in the western United States.

I'm also learning a lot about my husbands family too, since I was born and raised in the north and he was born and raised in the deep south, there are a lot of differences that I have seen in the way that things use to be in the 1800's with life in the north and south. It's amazing. I continue to work on this to this day :) and I have taught both my girls (18 yrs. old & 15 yrs. old) to do this too. It's something that I want them to be able to continue long after I'm gone. I tell them, this is where you came from, without all these people, you wouldn't be here!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  12:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I researched the history of origami, and found several sites in the internet with lots of information.

I learned to fold a simple boat. I have already started looking for books at our library to fold animals for the next badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  1:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Pennie Still (pstill, #5381) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I had my parents wedding ring quilt, that they had gotten when they got married. Since both my parents had passed away, I wanted to keep it and it had been mended so many times, there was just no way that it could be mended anymore. So I got together with my best friend and we sat on weekends and made exactly 258 4x4 in. squares. We kept running out of fabric and I still had some of my parents clothes that I just couldn't seem to part with, so we cut them into strips and used those, instead of going and buying more fabric. So not only is their wedding gift inside of that shell my best friend and I made, their clothing was used in it too!

After about 8 months of weekends and too many to count hours spent just quilting, laughing and being together, my best friend and I finally finished the replacement shell for my parents wedding quilt. It has come to be known as "The Gift", being pulled from bedroom to bedroom, living room and has recently somehow walked out the front door to my daughter's house with my 1 year old grandson!

I have been quilting for sometime, my mom taught me the basics and I just went on from there. This is the first time though, that with help, I have actually used another quilt as the batting for another quilt top. I put the back on it myself and hand stitched the back on. It was very time consuming but well worth it! I think we did a pretty good job!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  3:19:26 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (Killarney, #3392) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Collecting buttons from my Granny, Mom and farm sisters! I love having them displayed in my vintage juicer, easy to find the one I need!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  3:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (Killarney, #3392) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“My aunt taught me how to cross-stitch, this was my first project. I really love this design.

I have 10 cats that live with me on 3 acres of woods, and I love to craft cat things! I put a lot of hours and a lot of love in this project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  4:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (Killarney, #3392) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“My husband and I both caught up on our reading lists, cooked dinner outdoors. I also sewed and crocheted.

It was wonderful without all the noise!! We could hear the sounds of the birds in the woods and the crickets chirping.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  12:16:12 PM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for completing a Beginner Level "Bee Good to Your Mother Earth" Merit Badge!

"For my newest Merit Badge, Bee Good to Your Mother Earth, I am attempting no small feat. Well, it’s kinda small if you’re going to compare me to my neighbor, Mrs. Over-Achiever Gardener, but I have to start somewhere. Someday, maybe, perhaps, if I dream big, I can compete with her award-winning pumpkins, larger than life zucchinis, and heirloom tomatoes, but for now, I am setting realistic goals:

An herb garden."

Earn a beginner level "Bee Good to Your Mother Earth" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.raisingjane.org/journal/18850

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  2:32:27 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I've been involved in bag swaps online and with my farmgirl chapter. We have spent lots of time talking about ways to shop green, and how easy it is to bring our own bags.

Farmgirls seems to be an easy sell on shopping green. I think that means we like to shop AND we like to do so in a responsible manner.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  2:38:05 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I happen to live only an hour away from where I was born and raised and even have lived some of my adult life -- Saginaw, Michigan. I've been to the museums there often and enjoy them.

Saginaw was a great logging community and there are many photos and journals describing that life.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  2:42:56 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“In the spring my husband remodeled our kitchen -- it is beautiful now. He added an island that doubles my work space. In the process I cleaned out the un-needed and un-necessary items --including the storage containers that I could donate.

It is always so nice to organize and make things work better. I do love to put on my apron and work in my kitchen!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  2:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“In a tiny home it is so important for everything to be organized. Growing up my mom always said, "A place for everything and everything in its place." Finally, as a middle aged adult, I'm trying to put that to good use.

I managed to pass on some of my tools and appliances that I just don't use and some items that I use once or twice a year, I put in a designated spot in the basement. Works great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  2:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I leaned a lot about atmosphere, pressure, high and low pressure systems, barometer, how wind is formed, air masses and front. Wow, I felt like I was back in science class again. It was really interesting though, as listening to the weather on the news makes more sense.

I have chronic migraines and learning about the weather really helped to understand why my head hurts worse at certain times.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  3:04:18 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“How fun to learn about rocks and minerals! I did take geology in college for a bearded professor that looked like a lumber jack.

I didn't know the difference between rocks and minerals. We use minerals all the time in building materials, in our food and even in our jewelry.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  3:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“I read and chewed on the information from Mary Jane's ieatmeat site and Eat Wild. I guess I knew the bulk of the information, but putting all together was a sobering reality for me. Why is it we don't feel it's necessary to demand real food, and quality food for ourselves and our family. We don't like to make waves and we don't like to spend extra money plus it takes work.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. My husband is from the wonder bread, Velveeta and spam outlook on life. It is difficult to get his support. But I need to demand real food. I've seen farms that treat animals like a commodity and not a living being. We are so separated from the process -- and I think that is part of the reason we Americans over eat. If we knew the cow and killed the cow for meat, we would make the cow's gift last as long as possible. We need to wake up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  3:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“From June 25-27 I was under my house and under the kitchen sink repairing not 1 but 3 leaks! The first one was at the handle, which needed a new faucet and handles. Then after that was installed I found a second leak where the gray tubing going from the copper pipe to the faucet was cracked. When I told my husband he challenged me to put a shut-off valve on since I had to replace it anyways. So I did! After all that was finished I found another leak that had been happening probably since we moved in 5 years ago but only became noticeable when I had to make the other repairs. So I went back to the store and told them what was wrong with it... They sold me items that were not returnable and also did nothing. So I went back and asked another person for help. He told me I had to cut the copper pipe in order to fix the problem. That only made it worse and turned out that it wasn't even needed.

So, I went to a local store. If I had gone there in the first place I would have only needed to spend 67 cents on a piece to fix that 3rd leak... but instead it cost me $40+ because I had to fix and replace something that was not broken in the first place! The plumber that was working the plumbing desk was amazing helpful. Demonstrated what I need to do and made sure I could do it before I left. After talking with him I was able to fix the problem in about 5 hours!

During the course of those 3 days I learned to replace a faucet; place a shut-off valve; cut and replace copper piping, valves and learned so much more! I did all the work by myself with 2 kids under the age of 4 with no water for 2+ days and my husband away at military training! Over all, I think I did good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  3:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I have been for months now been working with a group called Healing Hands for Hope. I started it in March of 2013. We make Hope Packages for mothers who lose children at any age of gestation. We made small white bags and fill them with a small candle, a package of tea, a handkerchief, a custom made bauble charm, a handmade bereavement ribbon with a white crystal heart, flower seeds, a handmade ornament, and a hand written note. We had a MamaFest for the town. To show the different services available to mothers. I worked 12 hours on placing glass beads and charms onto headpins for easy stringing at MamaFest.

Volunteering at MamaFest for Healing Hands and Rainbow (support group for baby loss moms) was so rewarding! For 5 hours I shared our services to mothers. I displayed the inside of the packages so people could see what we do. I aided mommas in making bauble charms in remembrance of their babies and many other mommas wanted to help also. They made some bauble charms to donate for the packages and we received 10 new volunteers for our group! Enough to now have a Crafting Circle so that we can create these together.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  4:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“On July 13th, my family helped another family put up hay. For 7.5 hours we drove tractors, loaded the wagons, fetched fresh water, fetched new pieces for the tractor when it broke down, took photos for the mother of the other family (she loves to watch but was busy making the feast), and doing what ever I was told.

I felt like I was the most helpful during the first two hours when I was allowed to drive the tractor and help stack. But one of the older men said that he didn't want my help on the tractor. I was then given the job or filling water jars, fetching and photo taking. I did help with the repairs of the tractor and baler as my small hands could do things that the men's larger hands couldn't. I felt more helpful at the beginning but was told that if I hadn't of helped with the water, fetching and repairs that the haying wouldn't have been finished until well after midnight instead of 11 pm.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  4:13:53 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I decided to sell Lilla Rose as an Independent Consultant. Start up is $49.95.

Business name: KHill

Date to Start: August 10th.

I talked it over with my husband and when I found out that I would not be going to school this fall for bereavement doula training. I decided it was time to jump in!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  4:33:01 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I went to the grocery, craft shop, and book store and found some great bags. They're not that expensive either. I ended up getting quite a few. Every time I went to the store I grabbed one or two.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  4:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Graziani (CindyG, #4735) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“I went ahead an bought the bulk package of ChillOver Powder, knowing I was going to play with it a lot.

I went through numerous recipes from MJB's books and magazines, plus researched several "regular" gelatin recipes with thoughts of converting them...soon.

My ChillOver taste test was to have my teen Girl Scout troop test homemade marshmallows V grocery store marshmallows at a cookout where glowing embers were available for roasting confections.

The MJB version of "Jello Jigglers" are delicious and fun! I did these with a combo of orange and fresh-mushed passion fruit juice (there is no squeezing involved) and they were incredible!

My taste test was interesting. I think our humidity was a factor because despite a very generous dusting of a combination of cornstarch and powdered sugar, these were some sticky little treats. The girls were fascinated with the idea that marshmallows come from something other than a bag on a grocery store shelf, so I would call it a success right there. But...

The homemade marshmallows were much more dense than the grocery store variety, so they were more difficult to keep on a stick to roast over the fire and they really retained the heat, so there were a few surprised almost burnt mouths. The taste was heavenly, though.

The adults at the cookout all reminisced about divinity candy from their childhood as they tried the marshmallows.

I learned an important lesson about using proper equipment: I had waaaaaay too large a whisk to stir the ChillOver initially and it did not do a good job. I had some grainy tiny lumps in the marshmallows as a result, but since the lumps were flavorless and seemed to melt during roasting, it was not a "fail". I will know better for next time, and there will be a next time.

Just FYI I want to make espressos marshmallows next with the end goal of putting them in s'mores. Coffee and chocolate melted between graham crackers? Oh yeah!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  4:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Casey Comstock (#5366) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“I live in a small town and our community swimming pool is a big part of summer family fun. There have been rumors that the pool might have to shut down I because equipment needs to be updated.

I attended a community meeting about the future of the pool. I volunteered to a part of a task force that will meet a few times in the next year to plan the future of the pool and to fund- raise.

I am excited to be on this task force! The pool has been enjoyed by generations of my family. I learned a lot and I am excited to be a part of this committee.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2013 :  3:44:30 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build it Green Merit Badge!

“I read two books about ways to decorate my home (or build a new one) in an earth-friendly way: "Natural Style: Decorating with an Earth-Friendly Point of View" by Janet Sobesky and "The Green Home: A Sunset Design Guide" by Bridget Biscotti Bradley. I also redecorated my living room using only found or secondhand items, or used items in a new way.

For example, I took my Mason jars of buttons, thread spools, and my Mason jar pinkeeper out of the sewing basket and put them on display on my bookshelves, along with my antique cookbook collection. Then I put the antique globe I bought at a secondhand store on top. The effect is casual and vintage.

I learned a lot about the importance of good ventilation, wood floors and furniture certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, the dangers of VOC-containing paint, “green” fabrics, and - of course - junktiquing, dumpster diving, garage sales and flea markets, and salvage yards as ways to furnish your home while keeping useful items out of the dump.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2013 :  3:46:01 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Build it Green Merit Badge!

“Since I don't have a local MJF chapter, I put a bulleted list of everything I learned in the Farmgirl Chatroom, under the "Cleaning Up" thread. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=64165#785612

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page