Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  3:06:56 PM  Show Profile
Heather Smith (hsmith, #4844) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I have identified and researched more than five herbs. My favorites are peppermint, lavender, plantain, tansy, and red raspberry leaf. I use a lot of these and their essential oils in my homemade lotions, soap, hard lotions, etc. I like that they have tons of uses. I also use peppermint essential oil to cure headaches!

I love that herbs have tons of uses. They can be used in recipes, in homemade skin care, and for ailments. I even put how to make homemade plantain salve to use on cuts on my blog; http://www.theshomestead.blogspot.com”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  3:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I made a batch of yogurt this weekend. I have noticed that some believe that the milk should be brought to 185 degrees and then cooled, while others say the milk should be brought to between 100 and 110 degrees. If a person is starting with raw milk, it is probably a good idea to take it up to 185 degrees first to kill any dangerous bacteria, however, if milk is already pasteurized, between 100 and 100 degrees is sufficient.

I heated my organic room temperature milk to 110 degrees and used a commercial organic plain Greek yogurt for my starter. I plan to keep one of my own yogurts to start the next batch. I got as yogurt machine that will keep the yogurt at 100F for it's resting phase. After I filled my jars with the warm milk mixture, I let it rest overnight in the yogurt warmer.

I had a jar of my yogurt for lunch with a little organic maple syrup in it. It was fabulous!!!!!! So little effort for such a wonderful product.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  3:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“In honor of St, Patrick's Day, I made Irish Cheddar crackers. I also made colcannon (potatoes, cabbage, and ham creamed together with scallions) and smoked salmon chowder with wild caught smoked salmon. We are very fond of crackers in our soup and love to snack on cheese crackers, so these were the perfect choice to try.

They turned out wonderful!!!! I had to limit how many crackers my daughter could have with her soup. Next time I might experiment adding a few herbs and/or using different types of cheeses and different types of flour. There is a lot of fun to be had with this recipe.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  3:23:12 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya (EastTXFarmgirl, #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“I finally did it! I created the entire business plan for Little Bit Donuts. Yesterday I met with the SBA and tomorrow I meet with the bank for funding. I'm really excited.

I have a professional looking completed business plan that I will be presenting to the bank tomorrow morning. If all goes well I will be applying for the next level of this badge soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  3:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Crick (madinet85, #4915) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have 8 reusable shopping bags. I've been using them for a few years, and I love them. It's nice not having all the plastic bags around my house, that I don't always use but feel guilty getting rid of!

I took this badge one step further since I already had the big shopping bags. One of my big pet peeves are the little plastic bags used to get produce from the grocery store. I made a reusable one from a mesh bag I got from a sack of potatoes. I just gave it a small hem, and put a bit of yarn through as a drawstring!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  3:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Christina Marsden (#4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have been wanting chickens myself for so long and one of these days I will get some if I am able, my husband so far has not been a fan of getting some. But for now I have been getting eggs from my mother who has had her own chickens for years. I love farm fresh eggs and I would trust eating them way more than the commercially produced one.

I love getting fresh eggs. You know they are not "tainted" with anything and the chickens do not eat a bunch of "junk". We eat eggs for breakfast quite often and I am always baking something that uses the eggs. Thanks to my mom and her chickens we are well provided for in farm fresh eggs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  5:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I built the bird house and have the pictures of the birds I have logged in the last week. Mostly it has just been house sparrows.

I had so much fun with the birdhouse that I turned a stool with a deep drawer into a feeder and also made a feeder from a wood tray and a stump to rest it on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  4:48:33 PM  Show Profile
Alisha Grinus (Redsmoondesigns, #3338) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I repaired an upcycled sewing box and added all the sewing supplies necessary inside. I put thread needles thimble and made a sewing needle book out of fabric batting and leather. It turned out wonderful I take it everywhere”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  5:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“Rennet is a complex set of enzymes (protease, chymosin aka rennin, pepsin, & lipase)naturally occurring in a mammals stomach. It helps young animals digest mother's milk. These enzymes cause milk to separate into solids (curds) and liquid (whey). Animal stomachs are not the only source of rennet and a variety of different ways have been found to create the enzyme chymosin. Rennet is used in the production of cheese, especially hard cheeses such as cheddar. It is not the only way to make cheese, but that is for the next level.

My cheese is currently in the stage of drying before I cover it in wax and set it to cure. Cheddar takes a long time to make. I was up until midnight waiting for the timer to go off so I could flip it again while the whey was still draining. I also found I am going to need a cheese press if I am going to make a habit of this, and I hope too. It would be nice if one of the projects listed is to make a cheese press.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  5:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I cleaned out my pantry closet and disposed off all containers that did not have lids, or had seen better days. I also gave away the larger ones that I no longer use. My closet is much neater, however I seem to either have to many containers or not enough. I try to make some extra meals several times a month, divide them up for some local seniors that are alone or going through some rough times. Some of the containers are returned... but if they aren't that is okay.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  5:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I find that my kitchen is pretty well stocked as far as utensils go. I went through and sorted things out, gave doubles and things I no longer use to the local thrift store.

Its easier to find things... the baking utensils are together, cooking utensils together, and grilling things are together. It eliminated looking through several drawers to find the right utensil.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  6:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I used my camera to do the bird watching expedition. The only two I couldn't get a picture of was the tufted titmouse and blue heron that was by the lake. I guess I am not as quiet as I thought.

This is the list of birds I saw: tufted titmouse, dark eyed junco, mourning doves in pairs, robins in pairs,small red- headed woodpeckers in our dying tree, starlings (immense amount for our neighborhood), blackbirds, purple finch, blue heron, and sparrows.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  6:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Garwood (mjgarwood, #3804) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have 8 reusable shopping bags and I take them to the store with me on a regular basis. This is an easy way to help the environment! If I forget my reusable shopping bags, I ask for a box the store has saved from unpacking from their truck, then I take it to the local recycle center when I am done.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  6:28:06 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Garwood (mjgarwood, #3804) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I am applying for beginning and intermediate badges together as I have been recycling my household waste since I was on my own in college. I continue to keep an eye on what my local center is or is not taking. When I found out they were not taking glass anymore, I started boxing up my glass and saving it in the basement until I go out of town to a place with glass recycling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  6:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I recently bought the book " Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists" by Carla Sonheim. In pencil,I drew a monkey face like the images in her book. I think it looks okay.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  6:46:29 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Darnielle (wdarnielle, #4858) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I want to start knitting wash cloths for my kitchen. I taught my friend "Kelly" how to knit. It gave me something to do and it them all to use. This is my first wash rag and I use this in the bathroom for my face. I love it, only because I made it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  6:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan (houlihgan19, #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I donated a tree with at least 25% ornaments that I had made. It feels really good to be able to bring a smile to the face of someone who may have less to smile about.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  7:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan (houlihgan19, #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I got rid of all of the products in my house that were not green and learned how to make them all myself. I have a great collection of ideas to continue trying to green my home.

This was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Getting rid of the chemicals in the house and making my own products also means that my house is much safer for my children. I "enjoy" cleaning much more when I am not inhaling chemicals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan (houlihgan19, #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I learned how to make all of my own cleaning products. I had such a great time making my own soap that I bought the fancy molds and gave soaps out as gift this year. Everyone loved them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  7:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan (houlihgan19, #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I have been trying all sorts of new organic foods. We have gotten so into organic foods we had to join a co-op so that we could find enough good foods to eat all the time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  7:17:38 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“This is my apron. I made it this evening. I adapted a pattern to use these hand-painted kitchen linens that I found in an antique shop.This is the first half apron I have made. I am pleased with it although it would have been much easier to work with new fabric. The linens did not wash up evenly. I wanted to use a fabric that means something to me though. I love sunflowers and I have the memories of finding the linens in the shop.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  7:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Tina Shillington (BlackRabbit, #4511) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I was looking at my Field Guide to Birds of North America and I took the liberty of making a wish list. Some of the birds I would like to see are the American kestrel, the Cedar waxwing, the Black-throated blue warbler,and the Scarlet tanager. I'm planning on digging into some pretty useful material as I research. I'm pretty excited to see what I can find out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  7:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Tina Shillington (BlackRabbit, #4511) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“My mother taught me how to crotchet when I was younger, but for some years I never practiced and had to learn all over again. My co-worker and friend was kind enough to remind me of what I was to do. It only took a few corrections and I was back in the swing of things. So I made a hat in my excitement. My best friend liked it so much that she had me teach her some of the basics. While I don't think she will be continuing for lack of interest she said she enjoyed learning a new set of skills.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  8:04:07 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askey (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We can recycle many plastics, aluminum, steel, copper, batteries, oil, glass, cardboard, newspaper, magazines, and compost yard waste. The recycler charges for curbside pickup along with trash, but it is free to drop it off. Out local recycling station is on my way to and from work.

Locally we can sell our card board, steel, copper and aluminum if you have enough weight, otherwise it is more cost effective for me to drop it at the county recycler on my way home from work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  8:07:32 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askey (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I purchased 3 strong nylon recycling bags and designated them as glass, plastic, and metal. I set out a cardboard box to catch the cardboard, and a paper bag for any magazines, junk mail, and other paper recycling.

Since setting up our recycling system, we have cut out trash down to one small grocery sack a week and one trash can full a month approximately. It's been nice.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page