Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  4:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I've added thyme, cilantro and a Mexican one I can't remember how to spell. Everyone at Christmas received some sort of dried herb or herbal mix with ideas for use. This worked nicely with creating a handmade Christmas. I also used some of those herbs in my soap making.

I love using my herbs -- cilantro must be my favorite. I froze salsa that I used my cilantro with -- wow!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  4:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“Last year I made about half of the gifts that I gave. It was a lot of work. I made tons of ornaments this year from a variety of types of crafts, dug out all of the hand made ornaments from the kids and grand kids plus several years of ornament exchanges with my Farmgirl chapter. I also made a centerpiece, my tree skirt and a wreath for the door.

It was very satisfying to make so many gifts. Most of the recipients of those handmade gifts were very appreciative.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  4:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I made some Christmas gifts that went into frames for my kids. I made two Christmas samplers. One was designed for one type of fabric and I had to actually do some re figuring to stitch it on a different type. I have worked on a variety of materials -- I just like plain old 14 count the best. There were a variety of types of stitches and even unusual threads as I recall and a couple of beads that were added in as embellishments. They turned out really nice and were loved.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  4:49:37 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build it Green Merit Badge!

“In 2011, my daughter and I purchased a new-to-us home on a small piece of property. We started by repainting it. I found a zero VOC paint and did all the rooms in the colors we wanted. Since we had moved across country and were not able to bring all our furnishings, we took donations from my parents and my brother, as well as went to the local thrift stores and garage sales to get the things we needed. We have also gone to area farmer's markets to get rugs made from old jeans and other clothing. I even took some jewelry I no longer wore, some bottles I had, and leftover wire from another project to create a stylized wind chime.

We now have a home that is comfortable, affordable, and most of all, unique. We have given new life to old objects and re purposed others. We often get compliments on how warm and comforting our home feels. It turned out fabulous and it is still getting better.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  12:42:22 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“When we got our new home we decided we were going to start composting our scraps. Our goal is to eventually have a small farm. I got a bucket and in the scraps went. We chose a spot away from the house, and that is where they all get dumped. We now have quite a pile.

This year we are going to use some of our compost in our new garden. Last year we had a few tomato and squash volunteers, so I have high hopes. It is quite a large pile and doesn't even smell bad.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  12:50:05 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We started by digging out the old barn from under the blackberry bushes. We then had to rebuild the majority of it. In one end we built a chicken coop. This past June we purchased a variety of baby chicks and started our hen house. We now get over a dozen eggs a day and supply our family and neighbors with fresh eggs. We use a local feed called "Scratch & Peck". It has no GMO's and is a small local company. The chickens think it is fantastic!!!

We wound up with 5 roosters and 19 hens. So far we have eaten 3 of the roosters. The eggs are fabulous!!! I had forgotten how good fresh farm eggs tasted and how beautiful they looked. Such large golden yolks and firms whites. I want to try my hand at pickling eggs at some point.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  1:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Within a month of purchasing our home, we had to do something about the garden to the entrance of the house, it was ugly. We went to our local hardware store and perused the plants. They had about half a dozen types of thyme, and after sniffing them all, we brought one of each home. In fact, we brought home one of each type of herb they had, and a couple of vegetables. Even if I didn't know what they were used in yet. I loved the rosemary with a piney, almost chocolaty smell and have found it to be fabulous in chicken. Dill is great with salmon and scrambled eggs, and its feathery fronds are beautiful.

Getting the herbs and figuring out how to use them led to an expansion of my meal menu. I make a wonderful creme brulee using all my lemon tasting herbs to infuse the cream with a subtle lemon flavor. It's to die for!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  1:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“After spending time in the hardware store and getting familiar with the variety of herbs available, we brought one of everything home, including a sweet bay tree. We planted these herbs around the entrance to our home and watched them grow. This last year I harvested about 9 different herbs to dry, and used many of the herbs fresh. We added 4 different kinds of mint this past year, and have enjoyed making our own mint tea. The lemon verbena adds a wonderful lemon flavor to both desserts and pork tenderloin.

Some of the herbs did well, and some of them struggled. I have since moved the struggling herbs to new homes where they have thrived. My daughter and I have both enjoyed rubbing our hands through the herbs to enjoy the scent, and using the herbs to make fresh teas and to cook with. They add an extra something to food and provide a feeling of calmness to the air.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  1:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Darnielle (Wdarnielle, #4858) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I took a crochet class with my mother and the first item I completed was a Scarf! I think it turned out well for a beginner ”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  1:24:20 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I researched birds in Illinois. I then made my wish list. I wish to see Red Crossbills, Pine Siskins, Evening Grosbeaks, Bobolinks, Baltimore Orioles, Scarlet Tanagers, Green Tailed Towhee, Blue Winged Warblers, Gray Catbirds, Eastern Bluebirds.

I am excited for the bird expedition!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  1:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Teri Henningsen (TeriSue, #4773) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I spent the month of February with a Gratitude Journal that I wrote an entry into each day. Each day I would offer up thanks to God for at least one thing! It is a great exercise in being thankful and remembering to look for those things in each day. I loved this! I will continue with it throughout the year.

I enjoyed the Book Of Awesome. Neil Pasricha came up with the idea of listing 1000 awesome things! For example - some of my favs - Getting the eyelash out of your eye - - - Smell of fried onions and garlic - - - Getting your car parallel parked on the first try - - - The cashier opening up a new lane at the grocery store for you. This book can make you smile - I downloaded it on my Kindle and each night I would flip to it and read a few!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  1:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make It Pretty Merit Badge!

“I used colored pencils to reproduce a picture that I took of my daughter. The first thing I did was graph it out in squares and then draw it out in pencil. And then I added the color. I can't remember doing this since junior high.

I don't know if it was harder than I remember because it's been so long or what. In any case in was fun to try again. I think it came out okay, my kids were impressed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  1:52:51 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“We make wonderful maple syrup every year, this past fall my husband taught me how to tell the difference between a hard and soft maple trees by the look and feel of the bark and the buds on the branches.

In February when we start to tap trees, I went ahead and marked out some of the trees and admittedly I made some mistakes. We ended up putting in 35 more taps then past years due to some of the trees that I found on our property. Something must be right...we've made 5 gallons of wonderful golden sweetness already!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Heather Smith (hsmith, #4844) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have started my blog. The name is The S Homestead (The Smith Ranch): http://www.theshomestead.blogspot.com I have also added my blog to MaryJanesFarm www.GirlGab.com.

I like having the blog. I like to post the different things I make, can, etc. I think this is a good way to share what I know how to do with someone else.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Heather Smith (hsmith, #4844) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have added pictures to my blog and know how to customize it. I have published at least 10 posts with pictures. I visit other blogs and leave comments and my blog’s address so they can visit my site. I am still new so it will take time.

I like posting photo tutorials. I guess it must be the teacher in me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:08:01 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I thought this would be a great badge to work on as my two obnoxious children have decided as of late to correct my grammar. So I have been making a concerted effort to set my grammatical standards higher. I've also been using new words and weaving them into my daily conversations.

It has gone quite well as my children haven't been quite so eager to correct and they've learned some new words. Now my Toastmasters club learns a new word each week as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“We've had a compost pile since we moved into our home about 2 years ago. I love seeing how much of our dinner items can either be eaten by us, leftovers to an animal, composted or items in recycling. I love it when little goes in the garbage! We tried a worm ranch but I killed them all -- twice. I have read both of the books and they were excellent.

I love having a compost pile and would never be without one. It just makes sense!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:18:12 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“The region just South of me has an enormous horse population. I finally noticed that when I realized that there seemed to be an inordinate number of horse supply stores. Supply meets demand!! I can identify only a couple of breeds and I actually did a story or two about horses for a local paper and they forced me to ride a huge one!!

Horses are indeed beautiful but I am really not a big horse fan. Give me a dog, a goat, or even a llama -- but no thank you to horses.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I spent several hours playing with colored pencils and watercolor colored pencils and created a image using my name. It was fun to play with color and create something. I am eager to play with paints next.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:24:50 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“How cool to work on a badge in relaxation. The girl scouts should be so lucky. I've actually already done a lot of work in this area as I have struggled with cluster headaches for over 30 years. The benefits of learning to relax in order to alleviate stress are mind boggling! Five minute mini vacations to breathe and put this back in order is an amazing investment.

This was such a good refresher for me. It just doesn't pay to let your body suffer for the stress you are under. It just takes a little bit of discipline to remember to relax in the midst of whatever is going on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have learned how to completely change my stress level and relax the problem muscles in my body by going through a simple 15 minute relaxation exercise. It is amazing what one can do with 15 minutes of focused relaxation. I highly recommend this!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“Everyone in the family is getting a first aid kit for their car in their Easter baskets! We change our smoke alarm batteries when the time changes.

I liked tailoring the first aid kits to the specific individuals who drive the cars. I also feel a bit more confident in everyone's well being.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:36:59 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I did all sorts of reading a collecting of buttons. I tend to enjoy the buttons of the 1960's most, perhaps because I was born in 1962. I was very interested in the early history of buttons.

My collection continues to grow by leaps and bounds and I have many more than 10 different kinds of antiques and in each of the designated categories. I may even join a button club, as there are several in Michigan.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:44:14 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“My experience goes back to my childhood with origami -- my parents gave me several books and paper. My children used to come home from daycare with origami flowers they had made. I refreshed my skills and just played. I have made tons and tons of "peace cranes" to use with speeches I've done. The paper is so beautiful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  2:49:42 PM  Show Profile
Karen Price (kkprice40, #411) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I read Sue Monk Kidd's book a while back -- great book! I always plant flowers in my garden with bees in mind! I just now watched the trailer for the vanishing bees movie.

I would like to see the entire movie. The situation with the bees is such a telling gauge for the rest of the environment -- I don't know how it can be ignored!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page