Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  11:33:57 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge!

"I canned 18 qts of apple pie filling, and dried 2 gal of dried apples.

Canned 22 qts of my own spaghetti sauce, and made 50 lb of sauerkraut, which I canned.

I did not lose one jar of anything this year, it all turned out well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  4:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Hannah Halleck (hhalleck, #882) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge!

"I actually learned how to tat quite a few years ago. My mother learned from her grandmother, and I have learned from her! I love this art! Most people have no idea what it is when I talk about it, so I feel extra blessed to know how to do it! I'm still learning! I only know the basics right now, but I really enjoy it!

My chains, picots, and rings and double stitches are turning out pretty good! I'm working on making them more even as I go..but, I'm pleased with the way they look. I think that making one long chain has helped that process a lot!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  4:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Hannah Halleck (hhalleck, #882) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

"My grandmother taught me how to crochet about 15 years ago (or longer)!
She is the pot holder queeen! She's 85 now, and all she is making is pot holders, but her art is beautiful (she used to make afghans too)!
She taught me the basic chain, double chain, over 15 years ago, and I made my first lopsided pot holder! Perfect in a mother's eyes I'm sure!
Today, I still am stuck in the basic chain and haven't ventured out much, but I'm in the process of working on a beautiful baby afghan for my sister's baby this Christmas!

I've also been working on teaching my sister-in-law how to crochet! We've been spending time together when we can and learning from each other!

The baby blanket has turned out beautiful!
All that is left to do is to weave the satin ribbon around the edge!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  09:06:06 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge!

"I earned the beginning level of this badge by starting a MaryJane's Farmgirl Chapter in my hometown of Argyle, New York. I have been working on this for a year or so and finally held my first meeting in November. I have been sharing my magazines and books with friends for a while, but my recent trip to Idaho for Farm Fair 2009 as the Sister of the Year is what really stirred up interest! Sharing about my trip and about all of the wonderful ladies that I met, including the glamorous MaryJane and her family, has helped me draw together a core group of interested farmgirls. Once I knew I could get some ladies to join me, I searched for a meeting place that would suit our needs. I found it right in town at our municipal building. They offered us the upstairs room with heat, tables, chairs, restrooms, and coffee maker at a price we couldn't resist...free!

For our first meeting we made button bracelets, a simple yet domestically glamorous adornment! They were easy enough for the farmerettes, yet creative enough to challenge us more “mature” farmgirls. We love them!

I had three other farmgirls and one farmerette that were unable to attend our first meeting, but hopefully they will make our next meeting in December...we'll be crocheting dishcloths!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge!

"I watched the Vanishing Bees documentary and was surprised to learn that there has been an 80% loss in honeybee population in 30 of our United States! It is sad to think that we humans have created such an uninhabitable environment for these indispensable creatures through our use of pesticides and other “conventional” agricultural practices. Where will agriculture be if we lose our bees?

I added more bee friendly plants to my yard this year, mostly in the form of wildflowers on a hill that we are trying to fill in so that it will not continue to erode. I also added rudbeckia (black-eyed susans) to the hill and moved some more violets there, as well. I planted sunflowers again, an annual joy for me and a bright faced attraction for the bees! (A photo of one of my sunflowers, adorned with a honey-bee, is attached).

I add to my gardens each year, with bees and butterflies in mind. Next year I will try lupines again (they have yet to make it) and I will divide my sage and spread it to more places. The Natural Resources Defense Council recommends planting a variety of colors for the bees, and growing each different variety in a clump in order to make them easier for the bees to spot. They offer a nice list of plants to attract bees at www.nrdc.org

I also read Sue Monk Kidd's “The Secret Life of Bees” and thoroughly enjoyed it! I loved Monk's writing style and her tale of a young girl finding healing in the midst of sisters....so rewarding! Now I need to get the movie!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge!

"I have earned this level of "The Secret Life of Bees". My research into the world of honey taught me that the simple difference between processed honey and raw honey is heat; processed honey is heated up to kill bacteria, but raw honey is not. The deeper difference between the two is that processed honey has had its nutrition cooked out of it, while raw honey, that is, honey in its natural state, contains ALL of its nutritional value! Another proof that foods in their natural state are better for our bodies!

While processing honey appears to be good for us—removing bacteria and making it more sterile and less harmful—it is actually robbing us of the nutrients that make it the perfect food for the bees who make it. Raw, local honey has been shown to offer defense against food and pollen allergies in humans, as well as providing a sweetener that is easily processed by our bodies. The bacteria in honey help aid in digestion and increase immunity against unfriendly bacteria that make us sick. Why process something that is perfect “as is”??

I am glad that I read “Bees: Nature's Little Wonders” by Candace Savage. It was an enjoyable read, entertaining, enlightening, and educational. I loved the little histories and quotes and poetry interspersed throughout. The photographs and drawings are wonderful. This book would make a great curriculum for young people!

I have a local source for honey called “The Better Bee” which is located just 15 miles from my home. I asked them if they would give my family a tour as a homeschool project, but they said that they could not safely do this as it would expose us to a large number of bees. Not a good idea! So instead we spent time checking out their many honey and beeswax items, bought some goodies, and left happy!

As a side note, while researching my local Cooperative Extension, I discovered that they offer a Master Bee-keepers course at Cornell University's Dyce Lab in Ithaca, NY. The course is offered on three levels, apprentice, journey, and Master. The University offers other resources on bee-keeping, including a newsletter for bee-keepers, honeybee courses, and bee-keeper groups. So cool!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  09:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It! badge!

"I earned the first level of this badge by building a bookcase in the hallway at the top of my staircase. I had a set of shelves in this spot previously, but they did not come up very high and did not hold as many books as I wanted them to. So, I drew up a design that allowed me to utilize the total area from the floor to the ceiling, making allowance for the sloping portion at the top. I bought inexpensive 8” wide pine boards at the hardware store. I measured and cut them with a circular saw out in our workshop. I assembled them in the hallway with my cordless drill and some woodscrews. Since they are open at the back, they needed some support, as well as insurance that they would not be accidentally tipped over, so I used an “L” bracket to attach them to the wall.

They are awesome! They turned out exactly as I pictured them to be. They are still raw wood, as I have not painted or stained them. I am waiting until we finish the remodel in this hallway area, then I will decide how I want them finished. I am so excited by how much the shelves hold! I made the sections varying heights so that tall books could go together at the bottom, and shorter books could be grouped together toward the top. The angled ceiling adds an interesting twist since the shelves there are different lengths AND heights! I am able to shelve all of the kids books, our reference titles, and all of my home school materials, as well as all of our music and audio books. And I have extra space to fill as necessary!

I couldn't get a photo of both shelves, but here is a photo of one of them, and the other shelf is on the opposite wall so that anyone coming upstairs passes between them. The hall light switch is cleverly “housed” within the books. I love it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  11:57:13 AM  Show Profile
Beth Kirk (faransgirl, #572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge!

"I made this quilt for my friend for Christmas. It started as the central horse panel and I added the borders and patches. Then I put it together and did the quilting on my machine. My sister who is a superior quilter worked with me to make this quilt. It took several days to complete.

I think it turned out as a beautiful quilt."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  12:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I made a sewing kit from a mason jar. The top became a pincushion. I collected all sorts of things I already had and added them to the jar. Thread, floss, needles, safety pins, measuring tape, buttons, seam ripper and a few extras. It is nice cause now I don't have those items all loose laying around my sewing machine.

It turned out well but I would put something else besides cardboard under the pincushion part. The pins poke through if I push too hard. Maybe hard plastic or even thin metal would work better. I filled the pincushion with batting but maybe the next one I will try something else. Over all a good project. I like that I can take it anywhere in the house to work on mending."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge!

"I earned this badge by making juggling bags for my children. I used squares of fabric that were leftover from a “blanket sleeper” quilt I made. (I had saved all the precious blanket sleepers from my kids childhoods and turned them into a quilt which I use when I nap or need warmth on a chilly evening!) I used 4 ½ inch square pieces for each bag, sewn along three sides with right sides together. I then turned the right sides out and filled each bag with split peas and little scraps of fabric. I closed the open side by pulling the two side seams together in the middle and stitching the opening closed. This gave the bag a more three-dimensional shape than sewing the seam flat.

We keep the bags in a little basket in the living room where the kids can play with them anytime. My boys who know how to juggle are trying to teach the others. They also use them for games of tag and for playing with the cats."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  2:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Safe Toys badge!

"I earned the intermediate level of the Safe Toys badge by making a sock monkey!! I have had the Red Heel Socks for this project for two years and I finally did it! My son helped me figure out one part of the instructions which was keeping me from getting going, but once I understood what I was doing it went very easily. I did some sewing on my machine but closed all the seams by hand. The arms, tail, mouth, and ears were stitched on by hand. The eyes are embroidered, and I added some lashes to give “it” a more feminine appearance. I also tacked up a “bend” in the ankle area and did a running stitch around the wrists and along the mouth and tush (she has “cheeks” :) ). She is a gift to my son's girlfriend, a college student!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  3:10:13 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge!

"Our family mission statement is “To live in such a way as is natural and conducive to caring for the world around us, while showing our gratitude to God our Creator for the wonderful world that He has created for us.”

This has meant many changes for us, resulting in cutting our electric bill in half and significantly reducing our grocery budget. We feel we are living more in tune with nature, and while it is a little more work, we feel that it is good, statisfying work that is always followed by a peaceful night of rest.

I started our change by replacing my cleaners as they were used up, with eco-safe alternatives which are now very easy to find. Any cleaners I don't make myself are made from all natural ingredients and are biologically safe. I have, however, switched to vinegar as my number one cleaning product! It disinfects, eliminates odors, and is CHEAP compared to chemical cleaners. I also use baking soda as a scouring powder and find that it works better than anything else I've used. And when I am finished scrubbing the sinks and tubs with it, I pour in some vinegar and let it bubble down the drain followed by a nice hot rinse, freeing clogs and crud from the pipes. I use Vermont Soap Organics castille soap in place of hand soap, shampoo, and hand laundering soap. I use borax and baking soda with lavender essential oil for laundry. I make window cleaner with water and vinegar and a drop of castille soap.

I have finally organized my house as a “Green Living Headquarters”!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  3:26:18 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge!

"I first began rethinking my attitude about beef all those years ago when Oprah Winfrey exposed the beef industry's disgusting habits. I didn't eat beef at all for about three years after that. And for several years more I ate only a limited amount, once I was sure that the quality was better. It took a long time for me to discover that I had options other than industrial beef. Now I buy only locally raised beef that I know has been pastured. This is different from the industrial process because it does not require the animal to stand still in a stall or limited area, ankle deep in its own excrement, as well as the excrement of the other “inmates,” where disease and filth create a need for antibiotics to be added to their food supply. It also means that the beef cow has been eating grass, the food it was created to eat, instead of industry corn, a food that has been modified (in order to not be killed by the heavy duty poisons poured onto it) so much so that it can only barely be labeled a food. The beef I buy has also not been “enhanced” by growth hormones, a practice that I am not convinced is safe or harmless, despite FDA approval.

What my family has found is that not only are we doing something good for our bodies as well as for the local farmers, but the meat we eat actually tastes better!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  10:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Roop (yarngirl, #736) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"I found a pattern for a half apron in a book that I really liked. It has a frilly edge and an offset pocket. I love daisies so I found a blue fabric with daisies on it and used that. From start to finish this apron took me about 3 hours to finish.

I LOVE my new apron! The frilly edge gives it a feminine touch but its still practical to use in the kitchen!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Roop (yarngirl, #736) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge!

"For my first attempt at a full apron I used the MaryJane's pattern for the Farmgirl apron. Since blue is my favorite color I choose a blue print and used a corresponding dark blue for the trim. Because I had never worked with bias tape before it took me about 5 hours total to make this apron.

I love how it turned out! The pockets are perfect for holding my clothespins while I hang my laundry out and I like how it keeps my clothes clean while I baked bread for Christmas dinner."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  11:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Tanna Griffiths (Tanna, #644) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge!

"I decided to volunteer for our local 4-H club. It is one of the few organizations that I can help, my children can attend and everyone wins. I volunteered to lead a robotics project for the Fall semester and that was 8 hours. I also volunteered to be the community service leader so I can help the children help others. That has been another 6 hours. So 14 hours all together.

The robotics project was the most popular project in the club last semester. It went very well and the children learned so much about science, technology, programming, and even solar power.

The community service position is ongoing and I love seeing young people working so hard to make the world a better place!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile
Tanna Griffiths (Tanna, #644) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge!

"This year I canned a spicy pickle mix, chocolate raspberry sauce, and ginger pear preserves. I also made ginger/ lemon infused honey, mixed my own herbal chai tea, knitted dish cloths, made fudge, and baked cakes as gifts to family and neighbors. My kids and I made glittered pine cones, cinnamon/applesauce decorations, and we cut the tin can lids as shown in a Mary Jane's Farm from last year.

Everyone loved the gifts and I loved making them!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  12:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie Nottingham (mtngirljon, #648) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"I downloaded the Mary Jane's Holiday Apron pattern and made it for my sister. She chose the fabric for it and I think she did a great job.

I wear an apron almost every time I step into the kitchen. At first, it was one that she made for me, but now I also have one that I made myself and two that I have received in MJF swaps. I have a whole apron wardrobe!

I love wearing my aprons and I think that the one I made is well-done and very cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  12:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie Nottingham (mtngirljon, #648) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge!

"I was making aprons for some barters that I had arranged to obtain some Christmas gifts. One of my friends said that maybe someday she'd like an apron, too. I made it for her for Christmas as a surprise. She loved it! This one was more difficult than the Halloween apron. I used metallic rick rack - it was a challenge. The thread in the machine broke about a million times LOL!!

I think it is really great. My sister suggested the candy cane fabric. I was going to use green satin. It's better than I had hoped."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  12:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie Nottingham (mtngirljon, #648) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge!

"I modified an apron pattern that I had and created a wonderful Halloween apron with a quilted witch-face pocket. I wore it to the Houston International Quilt Festival, to my quilter's round robin meeting, to a quilting class that I took and to work twice!

I've made this apron pattern several times now and have modified it so that it has a round bottom edge instead of square and curved pockets instead of staight ones. Sometimes I use different fabrics on the inside of the ties and I always use rick-rack somewhere.

I think they are all really cute and I had trouble choosing which ones to submit. I've also gotten very fast at them. The first one took me days and now I can finish one in a day.

I'm including the time frame from when I first started on them until last Sunday when I finished the last one I worked on. I have two more cut out and fabric for at least two more after that."

This is the one I made for my friend, Ginger.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  12:52:40 PM  Show Profile
Nancy McClanahan (santa4u, #877) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge!

"I learned how to grow and dry herbs and also how to make my own recipes and mixes.

My blackened spices mix turned out great! We use it on fish or chicken and I have made wonderful gift baskets using them!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  1:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Nancy McClanahan (santa4u, #877) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"I have made several half aprons and would not go without one in the kitchen!

I love aprons and make them either with a pattern but mostly without, just the pattern in my head." :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  1:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Nancy McClanahan (santa4u, #877) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge!

I made a cherry fabric heart bib retro style apron.

I love cherries and hearts so it is precious!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  1:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Nancy McClanahan (santa4u, #877) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge!

"I designed 3 aprons for valentines day from sewing with the design in my head. I used either vintage doilys or vintage trim to make pockets. One I used some swedish vintage lace, turned it upside down and sewed it across for a utility pocket that is large with dividers to keep things separated.

These really turned out good. I am really pleased with them. They are pretty yet very functional."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  2:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Nancy McClanahan (santa4u, #877) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge!

"This year I bought a pressure cooker and planted a very large garden and put up 60 jars of squash, both yellow crook neck and pattypan. ( These are GREAT in cassaroles ). I also canned green beans, potatoes, okra gumbo, boiled okra, pickled okra, BBQ sauce, dill pickles, cinnamon pickle rings, squash relish, sweet pickle relish, dill relish, carrot/cucumber relish, cherry preserves, peach preserves, strawberry jam, apricot jam...whew...I think that's it. I'd pick one day and can the next!

I get calls all the time for people ordering from me locally for gift baskets after I let them try them. My grandmother started me when I was young watching her and now I am hooked. Oh and I also put up a freezer full of fresh corn and okra. All of these organic of course! I also canned pumpkin butter!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page