Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  1:22:10 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I make my laundry soap. I wish I would have known years ago how easy was to make. I got the kids a soap making kit and we as a family sat down and made lots of great soaps.

I like the way my clothes feel when washed with the homemade and rinsed with vinegar. I think its a lot better then the store bought stuff."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  1:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"I have been using a clothes line for years. But what I did do was use low VOC paint when I paint any room in the house.

I do notice that the smell is less with the low VOC paint. But other then that I didn't notice anything different. The coverage is the same."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected way more then 6 of the reuseable bags. I try very hard to remember to take them into the store with me.

I think I remember about 80% of the time to actually bring them into the store with me. I think I get better each time I remember."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  1:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have found that vinegar and baking soda will clean just about anything... I love that.

I have been able to get rid of most of my regular cleaners and use the natural ones. I still use dish soap but it's now 7th generation. I still can't find a recipe for that, that I like."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  1:47:06 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson, (#1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"When I went about researching the birds of Ohio, I was amazed that there are 419 different species of bird in Ohio.

I would like to observe the following Ohio Birds in the wild:

Red neck Pheasant
Peregrine Falcon
Killdeer
Barn Owl
and the Green Violet Ear Hummingbird"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  1:47:57 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson, (#1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer "vanishing bees". Read the book "Secret Life of Bees" and planted some bee friendly flowers. See picture.

I didn't realize that the problem had gotten so bad with bees. I had heard that their numbers were down but not this bad.

I was surprised by the book. Not at all what I thought I was going to read. Very good. I hear there is a movie based on the book. Will need to see it.

Planted some sunflowers this year and the bees in the area seem to like them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  1:48:53 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson, (#1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out all of my containers and donated them to a family in need.

I love being able to find everything with out digging."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  1:50:14 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson, (#1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"On Friday September 14 DH and I decided to disconnect to reconnect. No TV, No phone calls (of any kind), No Computers, No e-readers, No radio's.

We enjoyed the patio in our back yard. We enjoyed reading. I worked on the shawl I am knitting, DH worked on repairing one of his motorcycles!!

What a wonderful weekend. Hated to set the alarm on Sunday night for Work on Monday morning!

Confirmed how much I still love being with my DH."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  2:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride, (notathreatinsight #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have many reusable shopping bags that I’ve been using for at least the last 4 years. I don’t do this just because it’s eco-friendly. It reduces clutter in the house from plastic bags, and they also hold more so they’re more convenient. I use them almost every time I go shopping.

I also have started collecting “recipes” for green household cleaners. I am in the process of switching completely over to green cleaning supplies, but there are some I have committed to right now. One of these is homemade laundry detergent. This detergent is made from fels-naptha soap, grated, borax, and baking soda.

I love using my fabric bags when I shop. I don’t even think about it anymore, it’s just what I do now. The laundry detergent is working well. I have a nine month old and I use cloth diapers. To use the homemade detergent when washing the diapers I have to add vinegar to the rinse cycle to keep the baking soda from building up on the inserts. We’re pretty used to this now, and I think it’s not that big of a deal to remember for less irritating ingredients in your detergent."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  2:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Jessica Parfitt, (#4526) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook for my father on his birthday. I had everyone in the family write him a letter telling him what he means to them which I incorporated into the scrapbook. There are pictures and cut out pieces of paper for decoration.

It turned out really well. Because a scrapbook is not very manly, I covered the front and back with duck tape, and kept the colors inside neutral."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  2:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Erin Cole, (MtnGrlByTheBay #4537) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been collecting and using re-usable shopping bags ever since the grocery and department stores started selling them. I probably have 15 and keep them in my van.

However, I often forget to take them INTO the store with me when I shop. I told myself that I must remember to do this, one - because I hate to cause waste and two - I need to EARN this badge!

Because of MJF Sisterhood, I have an additional incentive to use my bag collection and now take them into every store I shop at!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

" I chose to research the Percheron horse since my daughter bought one last week. I found out that the breed derives its name from a place called Le Perche, which is an old province about 50 miles southwest of Paris. What was needed in the time, was a horse that could trot from 7 to 10 miles per hour and had the endurance to do it day in and day out. Cities in France were growing and omnibuses were the public transport of the day. Thousands of omnibus horses were called for in Paris and other French cities. The job called for a little heavier horse, the breeders of the Le Perche altered their local breed enough to do the job. At the same time faster and stronger horses were replacing oxen in agriculture and there was a need for draft horses to move large loads from docks and railheads.
The initial importation's of French stock to the U.S. was around 1839. The Percheron quickly became America's favorite horse. In the 1880’s almost 5,000 stallions and over 2,500 mares were imported to the U.S., mostly from Le Perche. Over 70% of the purebred draft horses in America were Percherons at this time.
Most of the farmers were still loyal to the horse as the most economical source of farm power and during the great depression the draft horse made a dramatic comeback. Corn was cheap and since farmers were broke, they couldn’t afford to purchase gasoline. In 1937 the number of percheron horses reached 4,611.
When the war began, gasoline became plentiful, so the use of drafters declined. The low point in Percheron registrations came in 1954 when just 85 head was recorded.
A handful of people, dedicated to the breed, were unwilling to relinquish their equine heritage which in turn has kept the Percheron alive. They were aided in this by the thousands of Amish farmers throughout the country who stuck with the draft horse as their source of motive power.

I have found out a lot about the Percheron horse breed. My daughters' mare,Niki, is such a gentle horse and definately build for working.

I checked out "The Soul of a Horse" by Joe Camp from my local library. I also went to the web site. I love the pictures of his horses. Joe seemed to have such a love of horses. He reminded me of how much love horses can give when they trust. I enjoyed the book so much that I purchased his book,"Beginning Ground Work" for my daughter as a Christmas gift for this year. It was her Percheran horse that I researched the origins on."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  2:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell, (vanavista #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Crochet badge.

"I made a baby blanket for a baby shower.

I like it. And the recipient loved it!

I'm currently teaching 8 young adults how to crochet."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  1:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Greatest Generation badge.

"My husband is the minister of a small church. We spend alot of time visiting the shut ins of our church. I visit and we sing hymns, watch birds, talk about flowers and gardens. They have watched our kids grow up and they love to talk about them and their grandkids.

I go to encourage and bless them, but when I leave I am the one that feels blessed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  1:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Greatest Generation badge.

"Our church celebrated it's 150th anniversary. A group of the ladies gathered information, old programs, pictures, etc. from the older members of our church. We celebrated with a old fashioned ladies tea. The older ladies brought in their tea sets, silver ones, antiques. It was fantastic. We had finger sandwiches, cookies, pecan, apple and pomigraten salads. I handled all the decoration, food, table setting.

It was a lot of work, but worth it. The tea party was a hit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  1:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"Went on a weekend camp out with a friend and our daughters. We packed all supplies on the list and then some. My friend loaned me a book on local plants and their uses. I made a list and even used it in a program for teens.

Camping trip was nice. The weather beautiful. My friend fell and hurt her back so the trip was cut short."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I have done Girl Scouts for 15 years. I have cooked out doors many times over the years. Part of our camp during the summer is each group of girls is to cook a complete meal for themselves. I train all the leaders how to build fires, cook, safety, and clean up.

The girls usually invite me to eat lunch (they have prepared) with them. They are so proud. I have ate my share of charred banana boats and burnt mountain pies, while smiling and eating every bite."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  1:17:58 PM  Show Profile
Tami Linamen, (#4029) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Outstepping badge.

"My family visited Gettysburg this summer and we hiked the town and the battlefields. Beautiful and heart moving place. Just to realize where you are walking is a place of such sacrifice. I am not from PA but live here now, so I had to look up the state information. I have built campfires while camping at Girl Scout camp and even for teen nights at our church.

I really enjoyed this badge because I learned a lot."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  1:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I contacted my local energy company which is in our town. They use coal to power 70% and solar to power the other 30% of our town. Soon they will be installing mega watt wind turbines. So more of our town will be powered with renewable energy!

I learned more about my town wanting to take care of our planet. I like the fact that we are ahead of the state recommendations for using renewables."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"I checked all taps and replaced our kitchen faucet last week due to leaks. We checked out some of the ways to conserve water.

I like the new faucet, especially since it no longer leaks. :o)

The water conservation has been going well. We are all taking shorter showers, we fill up a cup with water to use while brushing our teeth, for dishes I fill up one side with soapy water and the other side with clean water for rinsing. This seems to use way less water."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Water Conservation badge.

"I looked into a gray water system. We would have to redo all of our lines so this isn't something that we can do in the house right now. But I will be setting it up for in my camper. Since the camper is getting redone it will be the perfect setup.

I have a one rainbarrel set up in front of the house that I use to water all the plants out front. Next year I will be building a second one for in the front also.

The rainbarrel that I have in the front of the house has been a god send. If it wasn't there then I would have to drag out the hose from that back of the house. So my plants would be a hit and miss for watering. But now they get watered on a regular basis. It saves me time and water."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:10:10 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Public Service badge.

"I have attended several city council meetings over the last two years. I have learned a great deal about the issues that affect my town. I have voted in all of the elections that have come up in the last two years.

I have found out that my town cares about its people. Somethings I don't agree with, others I do and I show my feelings with my vote. It is very empowering to go and vote."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"We have so many games that we bought and never seemed to play any more... Now that the monsters are older we can play games like life and monopoly with them. We even found that we love the competition that comes from playing dominoes.

I recently purchased The Little House on the Prairie. The monsters read these when they were little as well as I did. Now I'm rereading it to them as a together time activity.

We usually get a game night going once every couple months as time will allow. We all have a great time. We have been able to teach the monsters many a game and even some card tricks!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I have actually been researching my roots for a very long time. My family is in two countries and several languages, so it is very difficult to find out information. Ancestry.com has been a godsend. I have been able to see actual documents with my family history.

I am still searching my family. My husbands family have been able to trace back to 1723 in Bourbon County Kentucky. He always thought that his family was new to the country but here they helped to shape it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"I have actually been researching my roots for a very long time. My family is in two countries and several languages, so it is very difficult to find out information. Ancestry.com has been a godsend. I have been able to see actual documents with my family history.

I am still searching my family. My husbands family have been able to trace back to 1723 in Bourbon County Kentucky. He always thought that his family was new to the country but here they helped to shape it."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page